Search found 335 matches

Return

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

At least he's honest.

The prospect of a team winning, or getting beaten in a SANFL Grand Final or Final and it not being priority one kills any genuine credibility the SANFL had as a league competition.

There is no perfect solution to the SANFL with AFL Reserves teams competing. I do think there is a solution for the game to be stronger at all levels, but that isn't happening.

There is merit in doing what the SANFL is doing as a feeder to the AFL, but how many people are interested in watching a competition whose priorities are either in giving practice matches to AFL Reserves teams or giving players opportunities to impress to get drafted? Perhaps enough to justify what is being done with the incentive money thrown in?

Given I have no real association with any Amateur/Country footy team any more, I'll get my live footy fix next year by joining the hoards that go to Adelaide Oval, unless the AFL Reserves teams are thrown out and the Eagles are given back the territory they have lost. I know this won't happen. The SANFL and its clubs have made the decision to move forward in a certain direction and have made it pretty easy to jump off.

It is a shame. I was too young to fully remember the glory years pre-1991, but have enjoyed following the Eagles and going to the vast majority of games, own footy commitments permitting, since returning to the city in 1995. Will still take an interest - but purely as a bandwagon supporter.

I think 2014 will prove to be more of a killer blow to the SANFL than 1991 was. Granted that the AFL have been chipping away annually, but the vote in 2013 saw 6 SANFL clubs choose their own destiny and 2014 hasn't played out favourably to the concept at all in my opinion.
by Aerie
Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 18 - Eagles v West @ MT Hyundia Oval (Sat 23/8)

Powell and Grocke to retire at seasons end.

Both premiership players in 2006 and 2011 and Powell Club Champion in 2008 and skipper 2012-2014.

Powell has been the back bone and grunt of the side for a long time. Always at the bottom of the pack and as courageous as they come. His performances in big games - especially the 2011 Grand Final - will have him down as a player Eagles supporters will always admire and talk about well after he is gone. He came around the same time as McKenzie and with him, saw that the Eagles threw off the gorilla that was on their back, i.e. beating Central in a GF. He has still been effective in a midfield that has seen a changing of the guard over the last few years.

Grocke circa 2006-2011 was sensational. Along with Jarrad who came in at the same time, added an extra dimension to the Eagles to carry them that extra mile to a premiership. He's probably been talked up more in the last few years as a player - but was extremely effective as soon as he came to the Eagles - generally playing up the field more under Fuller as a roaming CHF and then closer to goal under Godden in 2010 and 2011. His athleticism and strength was his real weapon and his body caught up with him by 2012. An achillies injury in 2013 and suspension this season see him end his career in a disappointing way, but has been a very good player and a great player to watch over the years.

Well done to both on great careers at the Eagles.
by Aerie
Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Passion for SANFL Football is Gone !!

Personally my passion for the game is still as high as it has ever been and I know my fellow Norwood supporters are the same.
I have been delighted to see our young players continue to improve after losing 12 players from last year's premiership side.
You can be sure the South and Sturt supporters would be just as passionate as well this year.
Can certainly understand West, Centrals and North people being disappointed at missing the finals this year and the Eagles have had a strange year.
A Port Power friend of mine went to the SANFL game at Alberton last week and said he did not realize the standard was that high and totally enjoyed the game.

I would have thought Norwood supporters would be peeved more than most. Probably a legitimate claim to be a "greater club" than at least half the AFL clubs yet you're stranded in a competition, principally about development, losing to your rivals reserves team whose coach doesn't even consider winning a priority. What a fall from grace.
by Aerie
Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How stupid can they get?

I'm a pretty good player at U18 level and look a certain league prospect if I don't get drafted.

Bugger, I don't get drafted. Spoken to by Port and/or the Crows. Go play Amateurs or Country footy for a year young fella - then we'll add you to our list. If you're black, white and teal through and through - you can still have a career at the Magpies. Plus, you've got more chance of getting to play AFL with us than an SANFL club, where you'll probably be battling in the Reserves for a few years anyway.

Meanwhile at Oval Avenue, they're wondering why the retention rate of quality U18's is so low and why these Port kids aren't super keen to come in to such a quality program.

Kids do want to play AFL. I bet they'd rather play AFL Reserves as well. Give them that opportunity while still coming through the SANFL system instead of closing doors. And at the same time send the AFL Reserves sides to the VFL!

FFS!
by Aerie
Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL crowd numbers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Australian_National_Football_League

Total minor round crowd this year of 252,947 the 2nd lowest in the last 12 years. Only last year was lower.

Games Involving SANFL Clubs only in 2014 averaged 2588 per game.

In last 12 years, previous lowest average per game was 2624 in 2013 and highest in last 12 years was 3235 per game in 2011.

Average crowd per game with AFL involved teams was 3177. Overall 2810 per game.

There was a significant dip in 2012 when ticket prices were raised to $14 and every AFL game was shown live on Foxtel for the first time. A dip again in 2013 with the AFL Reserves debate in full swing. With commercial coverage and AFL sides in the competition, there is less attendance again in 2014 for games not involving AFL Reserves. There are 650 people per game who were attending in 2011 not attending now to support their SANFL club, unless an AFL team is involved.

In summary, the interest in the 8 SANFL clubs is at an all time low. The interest in the SANFL competition is about the same, thanks to the AFL Reserves teams.

I expect the SANFL finals to be well attended for the same reason the Power and Crows are getting good crowds this season - Adelaide Oval.

The SANFL clubs, and therefore competition, are becoming more reliant on the AFL than ever before. It would appear this is more by design than fate.
by Aerie
Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Elimination Final - South v Eagles @ AO (Sat N 30/8)

Great to see Rowntree back in the side. He is just getting in some match practise so he'll be cherry ripe for the Grand Final.
by Aerie
Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2nd Semi Final - Port v Norwood @ Adelaide Oval (Sat 6/9

RB wrote:Probably more relevant for the Grand Final, but I'm looking forward to all the Power bandwagoners being outraged when they play the Swans club song as the team come out.

That will be nothing compared to Sunday when they wonder why the Power are wearing their Reserves guernsey in the main game!
by Aerie
Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Elimination Final - South v Eagles @ AO (Sat N 30/8)

Templeton was a positive. McGregor was a good pick up. Thought Ainger actually did ok in terms of presenting. Just struggles if he doesn't mark it. I think two talls is enough, so don't need to replace Grocke as such, but need a mobile Westbrook/Inkster/Treeby type as 3rd target.

Ruck and midfield speed is the most obvious problem to fix. Simply won't get anywhere with current rucks. Borholm showed no improvement as year went on and is handy back up at best.

Accountability and desperation missing. It needs to be decided if Godden can get this back in to the playing group, although it really should be player driven.

Hall, Goldsworthy, Appleton, Batley etc. will decide if this Eagles team will be a strength or whether it slips.

If Ainger/Wundke/Boyd attitude not first class then make the call to cut losses and build again.

2011 was a once off miracle that is pretty hard to replicate. Eagles need to lay foundations again and be patient, either with or without Godden in charge.
by Aerie
Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: We Need You South

There are so many reasons to go for South this finals series. Even though the club is well over 120 years old - this could be the making of them. They showed integrity off the field and are looking better each week on the field. Fingers crossed they can dispose of the Reserves team and we get a genuine SANFL Grand Final the week after. Would be brilliant.
by Aerie
Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

EDITORIAL

What WHUFC is more or less trying to say is :
He accepts the due process of a SANFL player being drafted by an AFL club
He finds it hard to accept this process of losing an SANFL player, speeded up through a TV show

However what WHUFC needs to accept is that the SANFL is not a true competition anymore

whufc, and those longing for a fair SANFL competition, can expect to go through the five stages of grief. If only it was as easy as it was for Homer.

"Hibbert: You can expect to go through five stages. The first is denial.
Homer: No way, because I'm not dying!
Hibbert: Second is anger.
Homer: Why you little... Da-! Guuuuuh! Yaaaaah!
Hibbert: After that, comes fear.
Homer: (paranoid) What's after fear? What's after fear?
Hibbert: Bargaining.
Homer: Doc, you've got to get me out of this. I'll make it worth your while.
Hibbert: And finally, acceptance.
Homer: Well, we've all got to go sometime.
Hibbert: Mr. Simpson, your progress astounds me"
by Aerie
Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Grade Cricket

It is a good move by the SACA. They are heading in the right direction.
by Aerie
Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think the real issue is that prior to this year, SANFL players drafted by Port or Adelaide would either play in the AFL or play in the SANFL with their original club. There wasn't a situation where draftees would play against their original club.

It's not about players getting drafted, or inhibiting their progress to the AFL. I suspect what many SANFL fans, and possibly SANFL clubs, find galling is that they may have a player develop through the ranks only to be drafted by Port or Adelaide and end up playing against them for the AFL Reserve side.

Port and Crows fans won't understand what the problem is with this as they don't experience the draft process. Any other player movements, either in the SANFL or AFl are via transfers and trades, and are usually accepted as being in the best interests of both club and / or player.

I think Mal's concept of a Global AFL was his way of trying to illustrate how unfair Port would view it if a other club could draft one of their players who then played against them and they were powerless (no pun intended) to do anything about it. (Apologies Mal if I appear to be speaking for you)

Personally, I've never understood the idea of "drafting" players, an American concept adopted by the AFL and I'm not sure it is the best fit for Australian Rules Football with the structure in place. State leagues such as the SANFL, WAFL and, at one time, the VFL are not college football leagues. They are a whole level above that and to treat them as though they are just college football leagues is an insult to every club in those leagues. Still that is another issue altogether.

Maybe as a compromise, whilst we have the AFL Reserves in the SANFL, players drafted by either Port or Adelaide aren't allowed to play against their original SANFL club. So in this instance whilst Wagner plays for Port, he can't play for Port Reserves against Centrals. If he was in the Reserves for that particular week, then he would have to sit the game out.
Port supporters know what it's like to have Port players playing against us...current players Levi Greenwood, Scott Lycett, Lindsay Thomas, Sean Lemmens, Terry Milera, Scott Thompson. We love the sentimentality of the Power recruiting Magpies players (Sam Gray, Brad Ebert) but we can't have them all and need to build a list to win AFL premierships. I know this is a bit different to what you're talking about but we do get that feeling of 'our' players playing against 'us'. We just deal with it.

Re the compromise, I thought it would've been ok to do this as a transition phase (like in the WAFL) but eventually it would be a pointless exercise as some of the players are playing under one game plan (and learning each other's style of play as team mates) and a bunch of others are playing a bunch of others, penalised because they're from SA. Come to think of it, we've had our own players playing against each other in the same competition for years, how silly is that?!
Classic Brad Ebert, Sam Gray "but we can't have them all". So what have you got about two or three "magpies" players on your list.

2 Port juniors. 5 Eagles juniors, 3 Sturt, 2 Central and Glenelg and 1 from North and Norwood.

Port got its brand out to AFL football. The rest of the SANFL clubs didn't. Now we're relegated to being beaten by a Port Adelaide Reserves team full of players not from Port Adelaide in a competition that has disintegrated to a rubbish feeder competition.
by Aerie
Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 Retirements & 2015 Player Movement Discussions

smac wrote:Pail Thomas playing next year.

Any relation to Buckets McKenzie?
by Aerie
Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Norwood & the salary cap

And after he said those words, he stamped his right foot sternly on the ground twice and clapped his hands. Tripodi followed on a piano, in his underwear, "I've paid my dues, Time after time, I've done my sentence, But committed no crime...". Gillon left the meeting thinking he may have found next years Grand Final entertainment.
by Aerie
Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Location, location, location. Sandwiched between St Michael's and Henley High together with excellent relationship with Yorke Peninsula country zone and of course some excellent people involved with the junior set up gives a formula for success. A long way from the old days at Kings Reserve, thankfully.
by Aerie
Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Grand Final Rematch

Forget the GF rematch for next season and have Norwood vs North at The Parade in the traditional timeslot. Make the most of a Norwood vs Port game when they aren't competing against a Power home game.
by Aerie
Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How do the Eagles have any cap space for all of these new recruits after signing Wundke, Ainger and Boyd recently? They haven't really lost many 'big earners' have they??

Grocke and Powell would be the only significant players who have finished up. I'd imagine Wundke, Ainger and Boyd would be playing for the love of that yellow jumper as opposed to any financial incentives.
by Aerie
Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sheffield Shield Season 2014/15

So from the first exercise in this new points system we have seen SA declare early, hoping QLD will set them a target. A player pushing for Test selection has been declared on when on 100 not out - instead of having the opportunity to score a big hundred.

Previous years would have seen the team in SA's position pushing past the first innings total and probably aiming to bat through in to the first session on day 4 to give themselves 80 plus overs to bowl QLD out.

I'm sure there will be examples of where the new points system is better than the old, but it's failed on this first occasion IMO. Essentially, the game's competitive nature has stopped since SA batted in to the 101st over and beyond up to the point where QLD declare, if they give a decent total for SA to chase, which is no guarantee.
by Aerie
Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sheffield Shield Season 2014/15

bennymacca wrote:so after declaring 80 behind we rolled them for 152 and are now 1/32, with another 195 to get for an outright win

surely aerie and mal this is a better result than a boring draw played out for first innings points?

Haha, I'm not going to argue with that! Amazing result. I prematurely speculated.
by Aerie
Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Other International Cricket

Jim05 wrote:Shezhad out for 176 after copping a bouncer to his scone and dropping his bat onto the stumps, was then helped from the field

Stick cricket!
by Aerie
Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: #putoutyourbat

Henley Oval on Saturday.
by Aerie
Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A good game at Henley on the weekend. ND declared overnight at 5/362 with Cosgrove making a century. WT bowled out after 95.2 overs for 358 with Kelvin Smith making 154. Looks like a scorecard from the old Salisbury days in the 90's.
by Aerie
Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

ANGUS Bruggemann wants to set the record straight after reversing his decision to spend a second season at Port Adelaide

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger/sport/angus-bruggemann-departs-port-adelaide-for-sturt/story-fni9llzu-1227186029273

Glad he set that record straight. Contradicting his insistence that it wasn't because he got dropped for the Grand Final that he left In the same article/interview!
by Aerie
Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Western Australia v South Australia 7/2 - 11/2

Shark_Hunter wrote:Is anyone else having trouble with the WA vs SA stream on the Cricket Australia website? Kelvin smith has started well, 2 x 4s in the first over!

Yes! Kids asleep, lunch on the table and ready to watch the cricket! Frustrating!
by Aerie
Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Speak for yourself Mickyj.

Fuller and Godden are premiership coaches. Fuller got a more consistent performance from the team. Godden seems to do all the right things and pulled off that incredible premiership in 2011, but hasn't won a final since.

At the moment, Fuller is still the most successful coach the Eagles (inc WT) have ever had. His record demands respect.
by Aerie
Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Qld v SA

Good to see Benton do well. Hasn't dominated Grade cricket for as long as Sayers did, but has been very strong for a few years. Funny how good form at that level can still transform to good form at First Class level. Perhaps something in that. Real Performance perhaps greater than "High Performance"?

Also great to see Georgie doing well. He deserves every success that comes his way having gone over to QLD without a contract because he wanted badly to play first class cricket and was given a verbal opportunity by QLD. He is a smart bloke who could have easily made more money going on with his engineering, but loves the game. A pity he didn't make the move a couple of years earlier, but better late than never. Has always done it the hard way coming through the lower grades through to a baggy green.
by Aerie
Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 3 - Eagles v Norwood Sunday 2.10

Caught some of this on the radio. Any promising Salisbury West juniors on show in the mini-league at half time?
by Aerie
Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 4 - Central v Eagles @ Playford Alive (Sat 25/4)

Eagles win the first northern derby! Home game next week at Alberton!
by Aerie
Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The 2015 Attendance Comparisons Thread

Spelly, would you happen to have average attendance figures for Port H&A games over say the last 5 years, up til now?

I'm going to hasten a guess it has not dropped as much as the over all attendances have. Purely a guess.

At the risk of ridicule & whilst it is true that I am no English Teacher, isn't the term "... hazard a guess"?
Unless of course you are making a 'quick' guess, perhaps?

Hasten a guess is a good term to use to describe the decision to admit Reserves sides into the comp.
by Aerie
Tue May 05, 2015 10:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

The SANFL is a lost cause while it has Reserves teams playing. I'm not sure if I'd care to return even if it reverted back to 8 teams, but that is because I personally feel the Eagles have lost their identity with the change of zone. The competition as a whole though would at least be fair dinkum.
by Aerie
Sat May 16, 2015 9:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thought I'd have a quick look back at the past 5 seasons to try to measure on field strength.

I looked at how many times a club finished top 4 in A Grade, top 4 in the Club Championship (to measure overall senior strength) and top 4 in juniors (U16R&W, U14R&W) to measure overall junior strength.

1. Kensington (87% overall) - 100% A Grade Finals, 80% Club Champ Top 4, 80% Junior Finals
2. Tea Tree Gully (53% overall) - 60% A Grade Finals, 60% Club Champ Top 4, 40% Junior Finals
3. Sturt (50% overall) - 40% A Grade Finals, 40% Club Champ Top 4, 70% Junior Finals
4. West Torrens (47% overall) - 40% A Grade Finals, 60% Club Champ Top 4, 40% Junior Finals
5. Woodville (43% overall) - 80% A Grade Finals, 40% Club Champ Top 4, 10% Junior Finals
6. East Torrens (33% overall) - 20% A Grade Finals, 60% Club Champ Top 4, 20% Junior Finals
7. Glenelg (23% overall) - 20% A Grade Finals, 40% Club Champ Top 4, 10% Junior FInals
8. Port Adelaide (18% overall) - 40% A Grade Finals, 0% Club Champ Top 4, 15% Junior Finals
9. Adelaide (13% overall) - 0% A Grade Finals, 0% Club Champ Top 4, 40% Junior Finals
=10. Northern Districts (12% overall) - 0% A Grade Finals, 0% Club Champ Top 4, 35% Junior Finals
=10. Prospect (12% overall) - 0% A Grade Finals, 0% Club Champ Top 4, 35% Junior Finals
12. Southern District (8% overall) - 0% A Grade Finals, 20% Club Champ Top 4, 5% Junior Finals
13. University (0%) - 0% A Grade Finals, 0% Club Champ Top 4, No Juniors

Obviously this doesn't tell a whole story. For example, Uni finished 5th in Club Champ last year so on improve perhaps and 5 years isn't a large sample size in a comp that has clubs well over 100 years old, but you'd want to have a strong club now to avoid getting the chop.
by Aerie
Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015 Ashes

The good news is all Australia has to do is win one and not lose one to retain the Ashes with two Tests remaining.

Positives also are that the bowling has been good. The fast bowlers have been a little expensive, but still ok.

With the poor form of Clarke and Voges - Australia can't afford the luxury of Mitch Marsh at 6. He is not a good enough batsman at this stage to hold a top 6 position in Australia's Test team. His bowling has been impressive, but not good enough to take the place of Johnson, Starc or Hazlewood.

Shaun Marsh must come in for the 4th Test, simply because he has scored heavily in the practise games. He comes in as a straight swap for his brother for the next Test match and bats at 6.

Voges has to be given another go. There is no point in bringing back Watto. They just have to hope he scores. It is his last chance. Clarke as well is a huge concern - doesn't look like scoring.

I thought Haddin deserved to be dropped before I heard the news of why he missed the 2nd Test. Neville has done well and deserves his spot.

My Test XI for Trent Bridge

Rogers - has been fantastic all tour
Warner - just a pass mark
Smith - match winner in 2nd Test, way too much reliance on him
Clarke - very poor
Voges - very poor
S.Marsh - needs to be given a chance
P.Nevill - has been tidy with the gloves and solid with the bat
Johnson - performed well
Starc - a bit wayward, but ok
Hazlewood - performed well
Lyon - performed very well, better than expected

Dropped
Watson - finished
Haddin - finished
M.Marsh - don't have luxury of him at 6 with way middle order is batting. His bowling has been good.

Untried
Fawad Ahmed - not needed.
Siddle - next in line
Cummins - Not needed
by Aerie
Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 17 Eagles vs Adelaide on Sunday

Great work by the Eagles to clinch the minor premiership and do so against one of the strongest AFL reserves teams the Crows would have put on the park who were playing for their season. To also get the biggest crowd since 2000 is a terrific effort by PhilH and co. Listened on the radio and it was rated highly as a spectacle by the commentators, even though it was a low scoring game. IF, the Eagles go on and complete what they have started, I think this was an important win in validating whatever may be around the corner.
by Aerie
Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Who wins the flag?

When We beat South this Saturday, We'll be in the mix to win the flag, I know what you're thinking BUT, IF We win Saturday, all we have to do is beat Norwood (big deal on their current form), The Power reserves (all depends on how they stack their side), West (they only just beat Us recently) & then The Eagles, that's the tough ask. So it looks like a Central v Eagles Grand Final. :D :D

Back to the glory days of the SANFL!
by Aerie
Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Who wins the flag?

When We beat South this Saturday, We'll be in the mix to win the flag, I know what you're thinking BUT, IF We win Saturday, all we have to do is beat Norwood (big deal on their current form), The Power reserves (all depends on how they stack their side), West (they only just beat Us recently) & then The Eagles, that's the tough ask. So it looks like a Central v Eagles Grand Final. :D :D

Back to the glory days of the SANFL!

If it was back to the glory days of the SANFL you guys would be looking for a 3rd club to help you out

I'd count glory days as any time you get to celebrate a premiership and it's not against your "arch rivals" reserves!
by Aerie
Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2nd Semi Final - WWT v West Adelaide

Great effort Eagles! Terrible to see Rowntree go off with what looks like another serious knee injury. He was the hard luck story during 2011. Then missed a season and a half with a knee. Coming runner up in the Magarey this year in his comeback season and now this. Hopefully Poole is ok too. Two hard nut players who you'd love to have out there on Grand Final day.
by Aerie
Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015 SANFL Broadcasting

Stupid move by the SANFL. What do they mean by every game available on their App? Do they mean radio coverage via the app? That only comes about because stations like Life FM and 5RPH cover every game they possibly can. To then snub them at finals, for the sake of saving $4800? Pathetic.

I have been able to follow my team by radio more so than any other medium this season. Given the significant drop in crowds - the SANFL surely wouldn't want to risk losing one of their most important links that at least keeps people interested in the SANFL, even if they don't go every week. Because 891 or 5AA and even Ch 7 surely won't be keeping me updated on what's happening with my team throughout the season.
by Aerie
Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015 Grand Final - Eagles v West - Sun 27/9/15

Well done West. Way too good. Score board was flattering to the Eagles such was West's dominance. Very ordinary performance by the Eagles in the game that counted. Looked at the stats at 3/4 time and top 7 disposal winners were West players and 9 of top 10. Well deserved West.
by Aerie
Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Full 2016 SANFL Draw

A Crows home game at Thebarton!? How do West Adelaide fans feel about this? Is it concerning having to compete with another SANFL team on your home territory? Eagles know what it's like, having to put up with Port Adelaide playing home games in our zone.
by Aerie
Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Apparently there is a paper on the reasons WT are one of the clubs in the gun which includes that they haven't produced any state players lately.

Ummm... Trent Kelly, Peter George, James Smith, Kelvin Smith

Ahead of several clubs surely

Pretty sure Peter George was the last Test player SA produced as well. A proud moment for all involved at the club - a large gathering watching him on the big screen at The Henley. There are also 3 WT lads in the emerging Redbacks squad currently.

You can't just flick away a club that has been around for over 150 years, is functioning well, strong juniors, financially sound, great facilities on field and off, despite the club rooms being sub-leased from the Henley Footy Club. 4 Club Championships in the past 11 seasons.

You've got history as the second oldest club in the state. You've got an Invincible in Ron Hamence. A legend in David Hookes. 12 A Grade Premierships (only behind East Torrens, Kensington and Sturt).

If getting rid of the West Torrens DCC is in the best interests of cricket in this state then I am flabbergasted.

If giving Uni juniors to justify their existence in the SACA competition is in the best interests of cricket in this state then I am flabbergasted, twice.
by Aerie
Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

West Torrens have picked a bad year to eat itself from the inside out. Seems to me that they are very well behind the other 2 clubs in the gun. Should be an interesting Grade Cricket committee meeting next month...

Not sure its that bad. The wheel turns. In terms of A Grade, a mass of leadership left the club a few years ago. After a rebuilding year the year before last, last year to make the semi final was a good effort. On the eve of this season Kelly retired, his leadership and quality can't be underestimated. Also haven't seen two other fast bowlers (S.Johnson due to injury and Renshaw overseas) who were key last season. Clearly the results in 1st Grade have been disappointing this season, but the next group of leadership are already playing in the team and doing well, just need time and to build around them.

There were no recruits, a policy of bringing through juniors. Really have only added Drennan in recent years, who has been excellent.

Probably the biggest concern is losing the likes of Hutchinson, J.Smith, Burridge, McDowall, Pudney and now Tilbrook over the last 3-4 years who all would've been marked as A Graders or were playing A Grade. There is still plenty of talent though. Enough to be confident of the future, should the axe not fall from the SACA.

Obviously all of this stuff hanging over the clubs head with the SACA can expand any slight cracks. A decision one way or another is needed soon because changes are happening one way or another and it is about now you need to be planning for next season.

The club is still strong.
by Aerie
Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Academies

I know at the Eagles they seemed to rate the development of talent through to AFL on par at least with winning a senior premiership.
Wow. Really? Maybe that philosophy is in place at Prospect. Certainly explains why they've been rubbish over recent times.

Playing devil's advocate, I guess I can see why clubs might take that approach - you'll attract more youngsters into your zone if you're a club that reliably produces AFL talent, which is a positive for the club. But on the flip side, (a) I'm not sure clubs make their talent-producing achievements clear to the public, and (b) the AFL gives not much of a sh!t if you do produce talent. Do the clubs still receive a payment once they play an AFL game? The most publicity that you hear about a player's original club is a passing utterance during the TV commentary.

"The development of talent through to AFL" is an interesting phrase, though. Does this mean the Eagles are happy once a player gets drafted, plays an AFL game, or establishes themselves as a 'regular' AFL player? Plenty go into the system, but not a lot become properly established.

I can't buy that, not for a moment.

While WWT have an outstanding record of having players drafted to AFL level, I can't believe they would see that as anything close to winning the SANFL Premiership. Might have been a little different when SA based AFL talent was still aligned to their local clubs, teams like the Eagles had quite a few at Adelaide and Port and they would bring experience, work ethic etc to the club and I think set high standards.

On having talent come to your zone, there's no point taking kids just to develop them to the next level, they're gone by the time they're 18 ( the top end talent, anyway ) and you get no service from them at senior level.

Not sure about the draft and any monies paid, Magellan, I'll see if I can find out.

In terms of off-field, that was the impression I got. Yes, do everything to put in place the things to win a premiership at senior level, but just as important was the role of player development and being the best pathway possible for individuals in the Eagles zone to progress to AFL level. Obviously the football department at senior level would be more interested in a senior premiership - but the club as a whole seemed to place equal importance to both. I don't have a problem with that, but changes things if AFL clubs now develop the best junior players.
by Aerie
Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You have no idea C Horse. Financially sound with money in the bank, consistent small profits and no debt. Facilities are excellent. Football club relationship fine. Henley has always been West Torrens area. The main problem is West Torrens, Woodville and Port don't have any representation on the SACA board!

How will Glenelg and Woodville (or merged WWT cricket if it happens) go when the Glenelg and Eagles SANFL clubs die. Both making massive losses and SANFL is going from bad to worse.
by Aerie
Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SACA Board members have been taken down from website. Soft pricks. Absolute disgrace. No accountability. Come out and tell us why you're destroying a club who would be 160 years old next year.
by Aerie
Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Rambled a bit but got the point across eventually.

Describing Uni as "a parasite" was a nice touch!

Typical Politician Chest beating for 10 minutes when 5 would have sufficed.......

Could have used the Parasite description for 2 of those 3 clubs involved in this....

Also implies that the West Beach Development was being done by the Cricket Club which it is not. The Adelaide University Sports Association are doing it.

Woodville got cold feet because they thought the statement that SACA would back a Woodville/West Torrens merger was a blank cheque???

You'd have to be either naive or stupid to not see what is happening, and I'm not discounting that you could be both heater.

Adelaide University are building 4 ovals at West Beach, plus training facilities, to use for a junior University cricket set up (and soccer). Whether that be in SACA or another competition, the fact is the pathways would be through to a SACA club. This clearly steps on the toes of West Torrens.

You also have Bernhardt wanting to get rid of metro junior zones.

You have a SACA board wanting to get rid of West Torrens.

It doesn't make sense to merge West Torrens and Port. Where ever you base it, the closest club for the "away" club would be Woodville. Base it at Port and current WT kids would be closer to Woodville or Glenelg. Base it at Henley and Port kids would be closer to Woodville.

You won't get a strong club from a WT/Port merger. It would certainly be weaker than WT currently is.

Woodville have every right not to merge. They are financial and well set up, albeit with a weak junior set up and lack of depth. Their 1st Grade team is the bench mark for the competition over the last decade.

The cornerstone of any potential West Torrens/Woodville merger would be juniors and women at Henley. Two of the strongest sporting high schools in the state are a 5 minute walk away. It is the perfect location. This, plus financial incentives would have been attractive to some from the Woodville club. Stable off-season income via football and a very well set up corporate program by Woodville would have been attractive to people from West Torrens.

Provided members of both clubs were supportive of this, it would certainly lead to a stronger club than what is present.

This is why it was discussed and put on the table. SACA had indicated much higher funding than what was finally put on the table. Wasting everyone's time.

Relatively, West Torrens is a far stronger club than Prospect, University, Adelaide and East Torrens just to name a few. None of these clubs have been put through the ringer like WT, Port and Woodville have.

This process has pissed off a lot of people. There will be consequences.
by Aerie
Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

My solution to Premier Cricket with reasons as follows:

Two main goals of Premier Cricket
1) Casting the net far and wide at young age to get kids playing cricket and providing high quality pathways through to talent squads and senior cricket for all of South Australia.
2) Highly competitive and meaningful 1st Grade competition, providing elite standard to close gap to Futures League and State Cricket.

Reducing clubs conflicts with number 1, however I believe number 2 could still be achieved, as laid out below. Some clubs contribute strongly to number 1 or number 2, but not both. However, all clubs have a place. Merged clubs rarely work, especially if forced. Allow nature to take its course. Once a club is gone you can't bring it back. Build on what is there, strengthen clubs, don't weaken them.

Investing in Premier Cricket
- Guaranteed funding for all clubs so clubs can budget well in advance from season to season, provided clubs check off against a clear and realistic list of expectations.
- Transparent in what the funding is being used for by clubs back to SACA.
- Invest in Hills/Murraylands club based in Mt Barker, fully incorporating existing cricket clubs in the area.
- Invest in Barossa club based in Gawler, fully incorporating existing cricket clubs in the area.
- Invest in continued improvement of Southern Districts.
- Remove significant funding incentive for merged club, instead only offering set up costs.
- Remove funding of Premier League after this 3 year stint as 1st Grade will be strong enough.

Provide strong pathways for the entire population of Greater Adelaide. From Tanunda, to Murray Bridge, to Strathalbyn and Aldinga, you would be within 30 minutes of a Premier Cricket Club.

Keep cricket affordable to play. This relies on volunteers and well structured clubs generating income from money over the bar, members, sponsors and traditional fundraising activities. Feeling comfortable and confident going forward instead of feeling stressed and uncertain will greatly assist clubs in getting the best volunteers available and concentrating on what really matters - that is the cricket.

Structure of the Competition

- 2016/17 final season with 13 teams in 1st Grade, bottom relegated to 2nd Grade - with full funding.
- 2017/18 final season with 12 teams in 1st Grade, bottom 2 relegated to 2nd Grade - with full funding.

2018/19 season and going forward:

1st Grade - 10 Teams with relegation/promotion based on 2 Day comp.
- Main 2 Day Comp
- 1 Day Comp
- T20 Comp with all clubs

All Grades below including juniors include all clubs in mixed 2 day/1 day comp. Optional fielding of Junior Whites teams and 4th Grade team.

If club not in Premier Grade wins 2nd Grade Premiership, they replace bottom 1st Grade team from 2 day comp the next season.

Transfer Fees

To Encourage Junior Player development and to somewhat protect clubs being demoted to 2nd Grade, the following would apply for players switching between Premier Cricket Clubs. Obviously you want the best players in the State playing 1st Grade - so transfer between clubs will become more common.

If player has played 10+ club A Grade games (either in 1st or 2nd Grade SACA competition) or Under 19 years of age:

Free Transfer to be subject to independent committee or if player falls outside above.
Restricted Transfer of $x? (say $2000) which means original club has rights when returning to 1st Grade or transfer club must pay additional fee.
Unrestricted Transfer of $x? (say $4000) giving player full clearance.

20% of all transfer fees go to SACA for Game Development. 80% to original Premier Cricket Club.
by Aerie
Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Tony Clifton wrote:Who runs the competition?

Grade Cricket Committee?

SACA board?

Cricket Australia?

Local politicians?
by Aerie
Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Would of thought that SACA would of had every scenario covered considering their financial position over the clubs. If it does go down the legal path have the clubs got the $$ to cover their expenses and if they win will they have any left over to run a club effectively?

I wouldn't be confident SACA has any scenarios covered.
by Aerie
Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R5: West v Eagles - Monday 25 April @ Adelaide Oval

There is no such thing as a blockbuster in the SANFL. It was only ever Port and Norwood and that doesn't exist any more.

Keep tradition and integrity at least for one day of the year and give the previous year's Grand Finalists the honour of playing on ANZAC Day at Adelaide Oval and for the associated medals.

I'm not against the full round being played on ANZAC Day at the other venues. Every amateur and country club seems to do it.
by Aerie
Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A-League season 2015-16

Quite a surprising comment given the behavior of Sturt supporters at Unley ...
There were only 3 flares lit from the WSW end throughout the day... Yet when Centrals lit flares at SANFL it was well applauded by the Craptiser ( double standards???)
But then its acceptable at an AFL game that spectators are assaulted , racially abused etc .....

I enjoyed the game yesterday and the WSW supporters were easy to talk to before and after the game ....

oh did the Craptiser mention of broken seats at the Red Army end???
Haven't seen the advertiser, don't like Dogs fans letting off flares either, don't approve of violence at Unley either.
Did think WSW fans before game seemed normal. I walked through a big crowd of them near the Queen's Head before the game. Looked as though there were families with kids present. I really don't know how they fit in with that mob I described, that was another story altogether.
Just describing what I witnessed after all.

My cousin drove over with his family from WS. He has a 12 yo girl and 13 yo boy and wife who go to all the home games. Hadn't seen him in over 10 years and have only been to 2 United games before so took up his offer of sitting with him in the RBB. We were not far from the fence that separates them from the members stands. Went to the Queens Head for a drink before the game and marched with them from outside the Cathedral through to the Bob Quinn gates.

The atmosphere they created was brilliant I thought. The singing got louder when United kicked the first goal. I did a quiet fist pump to myself, not wanting to reveal myself seeing I was stuck on that side of the fence! My Dad and sister came too. I admit I was nervous in the week leading up, but they were harmless and fun. Quite a few kids and all were friendly enough at the pub. They were passionate and loyal. Much like the old end to enders at Centrals.

The two intruders on the pitch were actually Adelaide United fans. They were feral as they got escorted up the race near where I was. The seats were broken from Wanderers fans standing and dancing on them. That was not needed I thought, but wasn't like it was deliberately ransacking the place. There were a few who answered back aggressively to the taunting from the AU supporters on the other side of the fence. I left straight after the final
whistle, but Dad stayed with my cousin and was most offended when they turned their back when AU got presented with the trophies.

All pretty harmless though and it made for a sensational atmosphere. I felt lucky to experience what it must be like at a big time soccer game in my home town. The game itself was highly entertaining as well. A great day out.
by Aerie
Tue May 03, 2016 9:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |