Search found 336 matches

Return

Re: Round 13 Eagles v Norwood

Better than your 1993 effort Norwood fans!
by Aerie
Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ashes 2023

The Australians score sets it up for another exciting Test match. I think England would be very happy with the day. Still 2 important wickets to get. Every ball and minute the Australian tail can keep the English out there will be crucial.

Australia have a blueprint of what wins Test matches. Khawaja long 100 in 1st Test, Smith long 100 in 2nd Test and WTC Final. Labuschagne left his out there today. These are the three key players for Australia.

Head and Marsh have batted well enough to save us from some sub-par scores, but their quick 50's only put real pressure on the opposition if there is an anchor down the other end.

From an England point of view, get Australia out quickly and bat for 100 overs plus and they'll be in a position to win this Test match, provided there is some play on Days 4 and 5.
by Aerie
Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Grade Cricket

That's weird

I just assumed it would be 7 x 2 day games and 7 x 1 day games in Division 1.

In a promotion/relegation system I don't think you should have skewed draws like that.

Would they consider playing 3-day games instead of 2-day for 1st Grade? Play them as Sat/Sat/Sun. Could then just play each team once. Top 2 plays a 4-day final Sat/Sun/Sat/Sun. Teams are already playing 6 Sunday’s in the fixture this year. Play the entire one day comp on Saturday’s including the final and it doesn’t really end up being more Sunday cricket, but you get a fairer fixture and a longer format, closer to Shield 4-day cricket.
by Aerie
Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ashes 2023

Unfinished business for both teams. Despite a few changes in personnel expected, the sequel is in 25/26.

Provided Stokes can maintain the rage, England could conceivably come to Australia with the same top 6 batsman. The positive approach is a winner. The results of the final three Tests completely validated their style of play. They don't need to overplay it anymore, like they did at the start of the series, which cost them in the first two Tests.

For England and Stokes - he must find a group of bowlers. Tongue and Robinson probably come. Mark Wood maybe (hopefully for them). Archer or Curran? Leach and Ahmed? Woakes and Anderson probably not. They do have some decent bowlers and will have two English summers to see who takes over from the legendary pair of Anderson and Broad.

For Australia, there will be no Warner. Khawaja will turn 39 next Ashes - it's likely we'll need to find a replacement for him too. Perhaps a swan song for Smith, Lyon, Hazlewood and Starc if they can make it through two more home summers.

It will be the most anticipated home series since 2006/07. Maybe.
by Aerie
Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2023 First Semi Final, Sturt v Central District

I'm putting it down to the feelings I gained from the last two Grand Finals we played against them, but I'm finding myself hoping the Dogs go all the way this September. Both games were good to watch last weekend. Often the higher ranked team bounces back from a loss, so Sturt would go in favourites but Central might have found their mojo under Bulldogs legend Paul Thomas and if they have, they'll take some beating.
by Aerie
Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2023 Second Semi Final - Glenelg v Crowserves

This is a hell of an effort by Glenelg. A change of coach so late after the season ending last year? Things mustn’t have been fantastic at the club?

Then the story of their current coach. I might be mistaken and there might be more to the story, but I remember Darren Reeves coming to West Torrens to play cricket about 20 odd years ago. From NSW I think, he would’ve been one of those players pushed out by the depth in that state and I presume came to SA to make it as a cricketer? He was a very good keeper/batsman, but not quite at first class level. In this era of T20 franchises he probably would’ve made a career for himself.

Then I saw his name a few years ago coaching country footy. Not sure if he had a background in footy in NSW or if he took the game up when he came to SA?

To then become coach of Glenelg so late. I presume the players had already started pre-season?

Maybe his cricket background, where traditionally, it’s the responsibility of the players to steer the ship and the coach provides guidance, has helped. Glenelg clearly has a stable, strong and experienced group of players who have built considerable resilience.

One game to go, but a great effort by Reeves and Glenelg to be in this position.

I believe they have a winning record against every club but one, the last game they played them.
by Aerie
Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Magarey Medal 2023

Well done to Harry Grant. Spoke really well. Sounds like he's full of character to back up his obvious talent on the footy field.
by Aerie
Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2023 season

Move the GF back to the Oct long weekend.

Play all country and amateur league grand finals on or before the AFL bye weekend.

Introduce a Premiers Cup that runs for 5 weekends, culminating in the Grand Final played as a curtain raiser to the SANFL Grand Final on the Sunday of the long weekend to determine the best team in the state outside the AFL/SANFL. Have the Magarey Medal Friday night. Have the U16, U18 & Reserves GF at Adel Oval on the Saturday and Premiers Cup & SANFL GF on the Sunday. Acknowledge the Premiers & Medallist’s around the State on the Sunday. Run a Premiers Cup Netball Carnival over the weekend at Memorial Drive. Get behind the Members decked out like the Test match. A Festival of SA Footy & Netball.

The footy Premiers Cup open to every premiership team in the state. Perhaps in the future it could serve as a promotion option should the SANFL opt for more teams and/or introduce promotion & relegation.

An example Premiers Cup for 2024. All games are knockout. 26 premiers competing.

Week 1 & 2 - 20 Premiers around the state match up against each other in 10 knockout games, top 6 seeded premiers await them in week 2, to make it work (Adel Footy League Div 1, Southern, Great Southern, Hills Div 1, Barossa Light & Gawler, Kowree Naracoorte Tatiara for example).
North Eastern vs Yorke Peninsula (winner plays Adel FL Div 1)
Western Border vs Mid South Eastern (winner plays KNT)
River Murray vs Riverland (winner plays Hills Div 1)
Broken Hill vs Northern Areas (winner plays BL&G)
Kangaroo Island vs Hills Country (winner plays Great Southern)
Adelaide Plains vs Murray Valley (winner plays Southern)
Winners of Port Lincoln vs Great Flinders play winner of Western Eyre vs Eastern Eyre
Winners of Whyalla vs Spencer Gulf play winners of APY Lands vs Far North

Yes, there will be some lop sided match ups in the first couple of weeks, but by week 3 you’ve likely got:
Adelaide Footy League vs Best of South-East
Hills Div 1 vs Best of Eyre Peninsula
Barossa Light & Gawler vs Best of Iron Triangle
Great Southern vs Southern

It could spike the interest of the footy follower and help maintain a big crowd for our SANFL Grand Finals.
by Aerie
Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Salary cap needs to be raised ?

A bump of an old topic from 2012.

SANFL Salary Cap from what I could find through the years

2008 $400,000
2012 $360,000
2019 $400,000
2021 $210,000 (Covid)
2023 $300,000 (can anyone confirm this?)

The above is payment for the whole team, I presume that includes reserves players.

The new AFL CBA has been announced with the average individual AFL wage to climb from $387,000 to $519,000 in 2027. An instant increase of 10%. It was $283,000 in 2014 when the Crows and Power entered reserves sides in the SANFL competition and $240,000 in 2008.

The AFLW salary will increase 29% effective immediately to a total of $32.3 million across the league. That is an average wage of about $56,000 per player.

The average wage for Australians in 2008 was around $48k. In 2023 it is around $68k.

I don't know what all this means. But all I can deduce is that back in 2008 the SANFL players were better off than they are now. Plus in 2008 the SANFL clubs owned the 2 AFL licences and still owned Football Park and its surroundings.

Meanwhile the AFL players average salary will have more than doubled in 20 years and this CBA in particular is a huge leap for both the men and women.

Our Magarey medallist is advertising if anyone has a room to rent in his acceptance speech.

Should the players at SANFL level expect a share from the increased revenue growth in the game?

If each senior player on an AFL list (684 players at 18 clubs) sacrificed 3.5% of their wage, by 2027, every standalone tier 1 state league club (that is the 23 clubs in the SANFL, WAFL and VFL) could have a salary cap of $540,000. That would be getting back to about par of what it was in 2008 in terms of a league player subsidising their employment.
by Aerie
Thu Sep 21, 2023 3:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Voice Referendum - Oct 2023

I am voting Yes. The simple and short reason being that if it was good enough for a vast majority of Indigenous leaders from all around the country to make agreement on how they see fit to move forward as a nation, via the Uluru Statement of the Heart, then it is good enough for me. Who am I to stand in the way by voting no?

I don't think many think the Indigenous Australians shouldn't be added in the constitution and be recognised as the first people here, but what good is words without some action? Aren't we beyond telling them how things should be - as Dutton is saying by voting the Voice down and calling for another referendum.

The detail of the Voice is not for the Constitution. The idea of having the Voice is what we are voting on. The detail of it is to be worked out in parliament and it will change in time. It is a practical representation in the constitution to go along with the symbolic words.

It was a pretty amazing effort to come up with a consensus on the Uluru Statement of the Heart. This is pretty good reading on how it came about: https://law.unimelb.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/3230377/MF19-Australia-paper.pdf

Then there is the Makaratta that will come. That is the truth telling and the treaty, or agreements between the indigenous and the government(s). A final closing chapter to move forward together that will probably take years and years.

Nothing is ever perfect and not everyone will agree. There is the deep-seated conservatism and fear spread by Dutton and co. Then there is the more radical chain of thought of we need Treaty now, from Jacinta Price and co.

I found this podcast with Thomas Mayo good to listen to to get an understanding of what we are to vote on and get a bit more understanding of the Treaty side of things.
https://shows.acast.com/e9f65874-5f00-4584-a408-6a0addba4f9c/64fd64dd5dfffc0011a85915

I am an admirer of Noel Pearson. He is highly intelligent, well-learned and a brilliant speaker. If you haven't heard him speak, I would recommend looking him up on YouTube. Here is one from his speech in Adelaide earlier this year - you can skip straight to the 25 minute mark: https://youtu.be/5kT1WyQYZvI?si=bUzI74xemznVplTE&t=1505

Celebrating Australia Day as a kid and young adult. The Test Match, the fireworks. The Sydney Olympics, our cricket team dominating, Crocodile Dundee and the Americas Cup - we were the best country in the world. Then the last 15 years or so, as each Australia Day has gone by, a feeling of guilt to use the word celebrate. It felt more like ANZAC Day. A day of commemoration. I needed to read Noel Pearson's Declaration of Australia to sum up how we might be able to move forward, with pride and as one. That is to acknowledge, and recognise, the three parts that make Australia. Not everyone in this country has been as lucky as you or I, but there is no reason why we can't all be, moving forward. The link is here and I'll copy the Declaration of Australia below: https://capeyorkpartnership.org.au/in-the-spirit-of-getting-the-ball-rolling-noel-pearson-offers-this-declaration-of-australia-and-the-australian-people/

In the spirit of getting the ball rolling, Noel Pearson offers this ‘Declaration of Australia and the Australian People’

WHEREAS THREE STORIES MAKE AUSTRALIA:

the Ancient Indigenous Heritage which is its foundation, the British Institutions built upon it, and the adorning Gift of Multicultural Migration:

And whereas Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander tribes were the First Nations of the Australian continent and its islands, possessed under ancient laws and customs, according to the reckoning of culture, from the Creation, according to the common law, from time immemorial, and according to science for more than 65 millennia. This is a spiritual notion: the ancestral tie between the land, or mother nature, and the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples who were born therefrom, remain attached thereto, and must one day return thither to be united with their ancestors. We recognise and honour the First Nations who discovered Australia as their sovereign possession, the oldest continuing civilisation in the world.

And whereas those who sailed the First Fleet landing at Sydney Cove carried upon their shoulders the common law of England, when the sovereignty of the British Crown was proclaimed. The rule of law, parliamentary government and the Australian English language have their provenance in Britain. From eyes on board ship, this was a settlement, and from eyes on shore, an invasion. We recognise the eve of the 25th and the dawn of the 26th January 1788 as a profound time for all of us, when Ancient Australia became the New Australia. We recognise and honour the Britons and Irish – convict and free – who founded our institutional heritage, making our Commonwealth from 1901, a great democracy of the globe.

And whereas peoples the earth over brought their multitude of cultural gifts to Australia. That we celebrate diversity in unity makes us a beacon unto the world. We recognise and honour our New Australians. When we renounced the White Australia policy, we made a better Commonwealth. We show that people with different roots can live together, that we can learn to read the image-bank of others, that we can look across the frontiers of our differences without prejudice or illusion.

NOW THEREFORE, with earnest and open hearts and strong desire to fill the lacuna, after more than two centuries, we make this Declaration of Australia and the Australian People, to see our reflections in each other, and recognise one and all:

Our history is replete with shame and pride, failure and achievement, fear and love, cruelty and kindness, conflict and comity, mistake and brilliance, folly and glory. We will not shy from its truth. Our storylines entwine further each generation. We will ever strive to leave our country better for our children.

We will honour the Uluru Statement from the Heart and make good upon it. Whilst English is the shared language of our Commonwealth, mother tongues name the country and sing its song-lines – and we do not want for them to pass from this land. They are part of the cultural and natural wonder of our country that is the campfire of our national soul, and the pledge of care and custody we owe our ancestral dead and unborn descendants.

After the battles of our frontier wars fell silent, diggers from the First Nations joined their Settler and New Australian comrades in the crucibles of Gallipoli, the Western Front and Kokoda, and there distilled the essence of our values:

That our mateship is and will always be our enduring bond.

That freedom and the fair go are our abiding ethic.

That our virtues of egality and irreverence give us courage to have a go.

That we know we can and always will count on each other.

Three stories make us one: Australians.
by Aerie
Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2023 Grand Final, Glenelg v Sturt

Watched from the Cornes Deck last year and trying out the Bodyline Bar package this time. As a child I was taken to many of the Grand Finals by my Grandparents. Always a great occasion. As an adult, have been lucky enough to see plenty with the Eagles involved, but up until last year hadn't gone to a Grand Final not involving my club. It was thoroughly enjoyable and as my mate and my birthday is in September, we made a pact it will be our annual birthday present to each other. Will be interesting to see the crowd size now we are on the other side of Covid. 2017, 18 & 19 were all around the 40k mark. Hopefully the SANFL bounces back with attendances, with perfect Spring weather and two well supported clubs, hopefully we see in excess of 40,000. I loved the Tim Rogers video on the Sturt socials page - reminiscing of those Tigers and Double Blues battles he witnessed as a kid in the 70's/80's.

Glenelg, finishing top and straight through to the Grand Final, combined with the 105 point win last time these sides met, makes it seem they would go in strong favourites and they probably do. However, that game was back in Round 9 - early June. There was also no Tom Lewis for Sturt. He and Battersby are absolute bulls and the game can be won from their inside work. Snook, Turner, Partington and co won't back down - however, Sturt do have that inside grunt that can win a big game and Hone is a very good player up forward. Mattner has won two premierships and has built this side again to be a force. Glenelg have the quality marking trio of McBean, Reynolds and Hosie up forward. Allen is a prime mover who was targeted in the 2021 Grand Final and kept quiet. Glenelg have been the most consistent side of the last 5 years and another flag to add to 2019 would be just reward for the body of work they have put in.

Hoping for a close game and a big crowd. Sturt to win by 8 points.
by Aerie
Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2023 Grand Final, Glenelg v Sturt

Congrats to Glenelg. A complete effort. Sturt had a chance to get right back in the game early in the 2nd, but missed opportunities. Glenelg kicked goals just before the quarter and half time sirens - illustrative of their attention to detail and commitment for every moment of the game. That's the difference between being 5 goals up or 3 goal up at half time. Crucial. To Sturt's credit, they hung in, but every time they got to within a goal of maybe making a game of it and getting the crowd in voice, Glenelg would answer. I did think at 3/4 time the flood gates would open and Glenelg might wipe Sturt off the park, but Sturt never gave up and neither did Glenelg ever let up. A 4 goal margin in the end, but Glenelg never gave them a sniff.

What a story Darren Reeves is. A wicketkeeper from the Blue Mountains - found his way to Adelaide chasing a cricketing dream. Joined Salisbury Footy Club in 2003 and played 9 seasons including captaining a premiership. Taken to coaching like a duck to water - after a decade, including a stint with NT Thunder, gets an opportunity very late, after pre-season has started with Glenelg and pulls off something of a miracle. I believe Chris Fagan could be the first AFL coach since 1904 to win a premiership having not played at AFL/SANFL/WAFL/VFL level - albeit he had a distinguished playing career in Tasmania. With Reeves and Fagan, it just goes to show.

I think I counted about 8 Glenelg players who also played in the 2019 premiership and there must have been a fair amount who lost in 2021, having been the best side in the minor round that year also. That is a good solid core group of players who have bookended a very strong era for the Glenelg Footy Club, that may well not be over yet.

May the SANFL long continue to draw big crowds to its Grand Final on sunny spring days. Thanks to Glenelg and Sturt for their commitments, against the odds, to match and beat the cancerous AFL Reserves teams and keep a clean sheet of premiers marked on the T.S. Hill Premiership Cup and retain the SANFL competition as the best outside the AFL.
by Aerie
Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: INS and OUTS for 2024

Jimmy Tompous has retired just announced by the Eagles

Seems like he's been playing forever!

Burst on the scene in 2011 as a 17 year old. Played well in that 2011 premiership. Not the AFL career he would’ve been hoping for, but to come back to the Eagles and win two further premierships, playing a big role in each, will write him into the history books at Oval Avenue. A very good player for the Eagles whose body wasn’t letting him play the standard he’d previously set, this season. I think he chose the right time to retire.
by Aerie
Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Tony Clifton wrote:There shouldn't be finals in Div 2

Instead have "relegation/promotion" matches

Div 1 7th vs Div 2 2nd

Div 1 8th vs Div 2 1st

Winners play Div 1 the next year

Like those promotion matches they have at Wembley for the soccer

I like it. Great idea.
by Aerie
Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mens ICC Cricket World Cup, India 2023.

My couch gets me on a Friday night every time (zzzz), but I did see the last section of each innings. In England 2019, it might've been different power play rules and obviously different conditions, but it seemed you could bet the last 10 overs would go for about 100. Australia obviously didn't capitalise and should've made 400, but Pakistan bowled well in those last 10 overs or so.

When I awoke at about the 35 over mark last night of the Pakistan innings I thought Pakistan were odds on to win. Stoinis got smashed for a big over and I reckon it was about 8.5 an over they needed off the last 13 overs with 6 wickets in hand. Bring on Zampa and Hazlewood to bowl overs 38-43 and the game was won. Sensational bowling partnership from both of them and it was Zampa that got the crucial wickets.

Australia now right back in the tournament and Matthew Hayden could've been addressing a footy team that was a goal down at 3/4 time the way he commentates. Loved him pumping up Zampa and the Aussie team.

The format of this World Cup (and the last) is spot on I reckon. A perfect amount of games and everyone plays each other once is good. No dead rubbers as such due to the importance of NRR. India and NZ look a shoe-in to claim a top 4 spot and with shock losses to SAF and ENG it throws spots 3 and 4 wide open. Huge couple of games tonight and tomorrow night - ENG/SAF and IND/NZ.

How good is One Day Cricket (once every 4 years). Seriously though, the upgrade in level of needing to value your wicket and the bowlers being able to influence games over a decent spell. The lean towards runs and wickets still being more important than strike rates and economy rates over the T20 version. The ebbs and flows. This is the only chance we ever get to see all the best players and teams in the world play a format that requires equal mental application to the application of skill. I do hope one day we see a 6 team Test World Cup, but until then, I'll appreciate this.
by Aerie
Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Pudney was injured for most of last season. I think he might’ve played in the Reserves premiership in 2020, and then played in the 2021 league premiership. Will like the big oval at Elizabeth. Will run all day on the wing. Had a poor 2022, but started better this year before the injury. Doesn’t have a real penetrating kick, but neat enough. A good pick up by the Dogs.
by Aerie
Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Brilliant game. Agree, Ravindra looks an absolute star. Travis Head an amazing knock. Warner has batted himself in to top form. That sitter that the Pakistani dropped off him has propelled Warner back to his best.

Kudos to the selectors. They made the right call sticking by Travis Head. I think they've made the right call replacing Carey with Inglis - purely because Inglis is more dynamic with the bat. I also think they've made the right call by sticking with Smith/Laubuschagne at 4/5 and not playing Stoinis or Green.

Stoinis is probably the one that could come back in if anyone except Inglis gets injured or has a run of bad form.

Aussies get a weeks break now. The place where they played NZ looks amazing with the mountains in the back ground. Hopefully they get a chance to explore a bit!
by Aerie
Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2023/2024

That was plumb, surely!
by Aerie
Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

AFL and AFL Reserves Oval Surface much better than SANFL/Community Footy

AFL Fitness/Defensive pressure marginally better than SANFL
SANFL Fitness/Defensive much better than Community Footy

AFL Skill much better than SANFL
SANFL Skill much better than Community Footy

Looking at the AFL, VFL, SANFL and AdelFL Div 1 scores for the first 10 Rounds last season, I thought I'd see how many games a team won scoring more than 100 points. I reckon that is a fairly good indicator of an open, enjoyable game of footy.

53% of AFL games, the winning team scored 100 points or more
45% of VFL games
32% of Adel FL Div 1 games
18% of SANFL games

The SANFL use to be able to at least say the style of play and high scoring was more attractive than the AFL, but that hasn't been the case for over a decade now.

The admirable commitment, fitness and defensive structures of the SANFL players has surpassed the skill level and this has resulted in lower scoring games.

Meanwhile, whilst the AFL went to those defensive structures earlier in the 2000's, whilst Jarman, Phillips, Fuller and co were promoting aggressive attacking footy in the SANFL, once Geelong won a premiership under Thompson in 2009, their skill and ball movement set a new standard in the AFL for combating the defensive structures and the better AFL teams have had the capacity to skill up on top class surfaces and kick higher scores.

I do think the surface quality has a fair bit to do with it. It has been wet the last two winters and I've never seen Woodville Oval in worse condition. Half the games the players can barely turn because it is so slippery and they'd be training on that as well. I'm not sure what the other ovals are like - Norwood seems much better than it used to be (perhaps because of AFLW and Gather Round) and Alberton always looks a treat thanks to it being an AFL training venue.
by Aerie
Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wasn’t expecting Smith to leave it up to others. Horrible shot after all that hard work. 1 wicket away from being in real trouble now.
With a healthy strike rate of 48!

Strike rate was irrelevant last night he just had to stay out there
And he didn’t.

His 30 was still crucial though. He came in when the score was 62 and left at 174. Had we had any other player outside the XI playing instead of Smith last night, we would have lost.

Leave the team the same. It is clearly the best XI. Green is out of form unfortunately. Stoinis will never stand up in a big game. Abbott and Carey are just spares.

Bat first and hope 2 of Warner/Head/Marsh get going and we're a big chance.

India have dominated everything before them and go in massive favourites, but this Aussie team seems to find a way.
by Aerie
Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Your call on Stoinis is a fair one Lightning McQueen. His value is being able to hit 30 off 15 balls and play a role with the ball, including at the death. That is why he can afford to have his own personal chef on tour with him. He is perfectly suited to the T20 stuff and if we got off to a flyer with two of Warner/Head/Marsh and subs were a thing, you'd sub him in for one of Smith or Marnus because he'd likely bat you to a higher target, plus he is good with the ball and excellent in the field.

However, the chances of two out of those top three getting going against the Indian attack are unlikely and under pressure in the middle overs from the likes of Jadeja, I'd back in Smith and Marnus to get us to something our bowlers have a chance to defend.
by Aerie
Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Three rounds played and now a couple of weeks of white ball cricket to determine finalists in those competitions. Any predictions on the fate of Kensington this year Eagles2014?

Premier Cricket Round 3

Div 1
Glenelg 60
Tea Tree Gully 45
University 40
West Torrens 30
————————-
Port Adelaide 25
Woodville 25
————————-
East Torrens 5
Kensington 0

Div 2
Sturt 70
Northern Dist 40
SACA U19s 30
————————-
Southern Dist 20
Prospect 20
Adelaide 20
by Aerie
Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: International ODIs

Regardless of the pointlessness of this series - Maxwell does it again...
by Aerie
Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2024

They should play it 12 noon at Glenelg Oval on the Saturday. Should get a decent crowd if marketed properly. Would imagine there would be plenty of visitors packing out the Glenelg hotels and those who want to can hop on the tram after the game to get to the double header at Adelaide Oval.
by Aerie
Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian International Summer 2023/24

Wow... sweating a bit in the witness box here... guilty, for having an opinion.

Bit quick on the forward defensive stroke there mate - just asking why you've formed your view (in response to your post on an internet forum about it).

Uzzie has had several interviews expressing his views, and how he can circumnavigate the system to have his views made on the field.
He has also been robust in his feelings about pink ball tests.
This has coincided with his worst series since his return.

Gawd, I forgot the cardinal rules for this group:
Go hard and smash away at anything Smith, Labuschange and Warner do, but don't dare speak evil of Carey, Head or Uzzie.

I mean I'm way quicker to defend Smith and Warner than most on here. Definitely happy to criticise Uzzie where due as well. I just find it really hard to buy that doing a couple of interviews about international affairs would have an impact on Uzzie protecting his wicket when he arrives at the crease. As if, as the bowler's running in to bowl against him during a test match, he could be thinking of nothing so much as current political issues in the Middle East.

An average of 37 for the series is not a bad return by the way. (Did Trav express support for Uzzie? That may explain Trav's crap form??)

I would've thought that people would be a bit more circumspect with the whole 'not focusing on cricket' nonsense after the Captain Woke winning the World Cup episode, but alas.

I also spend far more time defending players, than not. And I certainly don't zero in on one individual and rip in to them for every foible just because their personality irks me.
And I am an Uzzie fan. However I thought the to-ing and fro-ing over how he was going to get his message across in the first Test was OTT. During a test, anything that is not focused on the job at hand is potentially detrimental.

His summation on the Pakistani lineup just now on Fox was outstanding.

Khawaja has come out and said he was lacking motivation prior to the series and sought professional help to deal with his feelings (political) and how to cope with that. He was also emotional with Warner's final game. I think it is fair to say he hasn't had his mind 100% on the job and that it has effected his performance.

I am a big fan of Khawaja. I think he was pretty harshly dealt with by selectors over the years. He's always pretty forthright in his views and that may not have mixed particularly well in the Lehmann and Langer era. In the right setting, he could've been a very good captain.
by Aerie
Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yorke Peninsula League

I see Bute and Blyth/Snowtown held a joint pre-season training together to get more locals on the track and therefore a higher quality session. A great idea.
by Aerie
Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

2 of the last 3 and 3 of the last 8 one day premierships for West Torrens. Kensington have also won 3 in this period.

Another fast start for the Eagles, this time with the ball. Buckingham had Winter out for a duck and then Sean Hunt's awkward bounce had the state trio of McInerney, McSweeney and Scott in the sheds and Glenelg in all sorts at 4/17. Glenelg showed plenty of fight from this point on with Higgins and Bullimore slowly edging Glenelg back in to the game. 200 would have seemed a nice dream at one point, but Bullimore made it a reality with a century and Glenelg's 211 gave them something to defend on a good deck at Karen Rolton Oval. The openers, Buckingham 3/30 and Hunt 3/33, both off 10, the most effective bowlers.

Smith's fast start had the Eagles above the required run rate early, but he charged McSweeney, missed, and Glenelg got their big wicket with not too much damage on the board. By the time Drew edged Conway and the leg spinner Bowering outsmarted Manenti and Davidson, the tides had turned, and Glenelg probably had their noses in front with the score on 4/83 and the spin duo of Bowering and McSweeney starting to put pressure on the Eagles batsman. At the other end, Nielsen, opening in place of the injured Bailey Capel, was steady and the game was in his hands. Not for the first time this season, Reggie Els came to the crease and began rebuilding the innings with Nielsen. Els brought energy to the crease and was able to tick the scoreboard over. The required run rate remained in the 4's and the Eagles went to the final drinks break with the momentum.

Not long after drinks, the sprinklers popped up at the RAH end and the comical scenes of players holding the sprinklers so they'd spray away from the centre of the oval, as someone tried to find the tap to turn them off. 10 minutes later and someone finally found the tap. Play was delayed for about 30 minutes. 60 odd runs to get in 14 overs. Nielsen faced out a maiden from Doggett, then Conway bowled a tight over and a run out chance here and there could've had Glenelg with a chance, but in reality, Nielsen and Els had it covered, never allowing the required run rate to push above 5, and as Nielsen celebrated a brilliant century, then Els celebrated his 50 with a lofted drive over mid-off to tie the scores. Another Eagles premiership, the 7th senior premiership for Mark Harrity as coach and West Torrens champions Kelvin Smith and Daniel Drew as players. Cricket is just a game you play with your mates and sometimes for your mates. Today's was an example of the latter. A high quality game between two high quality teams.
by Aerie
Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bancroft in for Marnus please. An inanimate carbon rod for Head. Imagine how good we'd be with some half decent batting supporting that attack.

regards,

REB Yeah almost like we could be the World Test Champions and World Cup champions with some half decent batting to support that attack.

Good oh. Reckon we repeat with the current set up? I'm talking 2024 not 2023.

regards,

REB

The top 6 are clearly the best top 6 and are proven. We could've had players like Watson and Voges (and Bancroft) pump up their average against the average opposition, but that doesn't take us anywhere.

If Puckovsi gets a decent run at it, he might be a talking point next summer for a spot in the side.
by Aerie
Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You clearly love fishing

In all seriousness what would this playing groups ‘claim to fame’ be amongst the other great sides

The Taylor era had the historic West Indies victory
The Steve Waugh side had the series win in India

Not sure the Smith/Cummins era has has had a moment in test cricket where we think they significantly overachieved.

I’m not saying they aren’t the number one side but let’s be real if it was the 90’s India would have a claim to the title given the last two home and away series. We all know if the neutral test was played in Dubai or Sri Lanka, India probably would have won.

Also don’t recall an Australian team drawing a home series against such a low ranked side in my lifetime. Iirc there was a drawn series with NZ in the mid 2000’s but don’t think that compares.

The fact is they haven’t conquered the next best team home or away in India. They haven’t conquered an average arch enemy side on their soil England. They failed and embarrassed the nation in South Africa. They have had a few slip ups at home, 2 x lost series to India and drawn series with West Indies.

For one, I don't think you should gel the Smith and Cummins eras in as one. Smith's era was a disaster. Australian cricket was resurrected under Paine. Cummins took on a good team and made it better.

Getting to, and winning the WTC Final, when they had a series of away Test series in Pakistan, Sri Lanka and India was significant. Then immediately following that, winning the first two Ashes Tests and doing enough to retain The Ashes. Then on the end of that, winning the ODI World Cup as underdogs.

Definitely disappointing not winning in India or winning the series in England.

PS. Steve Waugh never won a series in India. Adam Gilchrist was captain until Ponting came backfire the 4th Test, which Australia lost, but were already up 2-1 after the first three.

FWIW, my summary of the captains I've seen.

- Border had the glory of resurrecting the side, crowned with the 1989 Ashes - he also had the heartbreak of losing the series to the Windies in Aus in 92/93.

- Taylor took a strong side to the top, defeating the West Indies in West Indies in 1995, however, his team couldn't beat India in India, in an era where Indian cricket was starting to become strong

- Waugh made his extraordinarily strong side unbeatable (16 wins in a row) and created a new culture around the baggy green, but he too, couldn't bring his side to win in India, even after being 1-0 up and having the Indians follow on in the 2nd Test....

- Ponting too had 16 wins on the trot, but how could you lose The Ashes in 2005 with that team!? Then some tough times, including another Ashes defeat away in 2009 and the cardinal sin of losing an Ashes series at home in 2010/11. We did finally win in India in 2004 - but Gilchrist was captain.

- Clarke had a difficult time during his reign, especially getting thrashed in India and the time under Micky Arthur, but for a brief period, with Lehmann as coach, brought Australian Cricket back to it's glory on the back of a firebrand style with Johnson and Harris combining career best form in a purple patch, whitewashing England at home and then defeating the very strong South African side away. He guided Australian cricket through the tragedy of Hughes and on the back of that, a brilliant home summer win against the Indians. An away Ashes was to complete the fairy tale - but it wasn't to be, another Ashes loss in England to end Clarke's reign.

- Smith also had difficulty during his reign, tormented by a horrible home summer against South Africa and then sandpaper-gate against South Africa away. Losses to Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and India away. Some dominance at home against England, New Zealand, West Indies and Pakistan. Unfortunately didn't get a chance to redeem himself as a captain, but certainly did so with the bat.

- Paine guided Australia through a tough period without Smith and Warner. He made his mark by retaining the Ashes in 2019. So close to winning the series, as he was close to defeating India in Australia. He had Australian cricket back on track, then as quickly as he came, he left.

- Cummins, the first fast bowling captain of Australia, has so far done a fine job. Making and winning the WTC Final, retaining the Ashes in England, beating Pakistan in the first series in Pakistan for many years. Without dominating as we did under Taylor, Waugh and the first part of Ponting's reign, he's stood up in big moments. Stands out for his calm approach and the belief he instills in his team mates, without taking a backwards approach against the opposition. Has so far captained an experienced and settled side, but that stands to change over the next few years - the departing Warner the first of a number of veterans that are likely to retire over the next 2-3 years.
by Aerie
Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The changes re juniors make sense. If Grade clubs don’t take up the opportunity to have a 4th Grade, then technically an extra 11 players are available to play community cricket. If community cricket needs the older underage group, then perhaps change to U18 instead of U17 to capture those players that won’t make the grade immediately. For the benefit of cricket in this state, you also want the best players playing each other as much as possible and moving to a Sunday caters for that, with 1st XI entrenched on a Saturday afternoon.
by Aerie
Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Great knock by Carey, together with Marsh and Cummins. Important for his preparation for India in December too, knowing his spot as keeper is secure.

Australia play all white ball cricket until the India series, with only the T20 WC of note in June. That gives the team a great chance to prepare for India via the Sheffield Shield.

Re Carey missing out on 100 - it doesn’t matter. Securing a win for the team, or giving the team the best chance at that, should always be the priority.
by Aerie
Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A low and slow pitch at Henley and a slow outfield made batting difficult. Add the experience and skill of Benton, Valente and Andrews. Port sent Torrens in and had the Eagles on the back foot from the start. Smith batted patiently and 2/60 at lunch with Smith and Drew at the crease was not a bad position for the Eagles. A good ball from Benton got Smith caught behind for 29 not long after lunch. The Port bowlers looked dangerous throughout the Drew/Manenti partnership, but with a bit of luck, the score pushed to 3/120 and Manenti started finding the boundary and looking good, before chasing a wide and short one which he nicked through to the keeper. Drew also had started pushing Andrews through gaps and looked comfortable before nicking a short quick one from Andrews the ball after he brought up his 50. From there, Valente cleaned up the lower order, Torrens losing the last 7 wickets for 40 runs and the last 4 for 12.

Port lost 3 late wickets last night to be 3/63 at stumps. 100 needed with 7 wickets in hand. An early wicket had them 4/70 with Andrews joining Conway and Valente still to come. Conway and Andrews able to score freely enough to get close to the target. Andrew’s fell with Port 20 short and Buckingham picked up his 4th when Conway fell lbw a few runs later. Fallins had a very close shout for lbw off Valente with about 12 runs still to get, but the umpire gave it not out and that was really the last hope the Eagles had to keep their season alive. 162 was probably 50 runs short. Port too good and should meet Glenelg next week. Uni currently 4/95 chasing Glenelg’s 397. These three teams are pretty clearly the best 3 teams this season and it should be a good quality contest next week. An excellent season for West Torrens, picking up the white ball premierships.

Adelaide look set to join Sturt next week in the Div 2 Grand Final, and in Div 1 next season, bowling Northerns out for 116 and passing their score 5 down and being 5/135 overnight. Looks like play is close to starting on day 2 after a rain delay, Northerns would need a miracle.
by Aerie
Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HFL Division 1 (Central)

How good would a “Best of” tournament be? 2 Grand finalist from GSFL, BLGFA, HFL D1, SFL and even RMFL in a round robin comp. 2x 20 minute halves.

It'd be brilliant, would sort out bragging rights too! I reckon it'd be as good as the Country Champs, if not better.

I agree. Scrap the country champs, find a heap of sponsors so there’s decent prize money on offer to lure clubs into fielding their best sides, it’d be awesome! Use previous years standings as the next years rankings for fixtures etc. Could be on to something here!

It's a good idea.

All the Premiers of each competition to play in a knockout competition for the Premiers Cup-determining the best club outside the SANFL. Grand Final to be played on the weekend of Gather Round.

For the sake of the draw below, I'll have the highest seed go through as the winner (*), but there would be some pretty competitive games each week.

Qualifier Week 1
United Yeelanna (GFFL) vs Lincoln South (PLFL)*
Ports (EEFL) vs West Whyalla (WFL)*
Western United (WEFL) vs Kadina (YPFL)*
Orroroo (NAFA) vs BSR Tigers (NEFL)*
Kalangadoo (MSEFL) vs Millicent (WBFL)*
Miners (FNFL) vs Prop Risdon (SGFL)*
Finke (APYFL) vs South Broken Hill (BHFL)*
Kingscote (KIFL) vs Border Districts (KNTFL)*
Gumeracha (HFL Div 2) vs Jervois (RMFL)*
Sedan Cambrai (MVFL) vs Barmera Monash (RFL)*

Round of 16 Week 2
Prince Alfred OC (AdFL Div 1)* vs South Broken Hill (BHFL)
Two Wells (APFL)* vs Barmera Monash (RFL)
South Gawler (BLGFA)* vs Lincoln South (PLFL)
West Whyalla (WFL)* vs Prop Risdon (SGFL)
Millicent (WBFL)* vs Border Districts (KNTFL)
Nairne Bremer (HFL Div 1)* vs Jervois (RMFL)
Flagstaff Hill (SFL)* vs BSR Tigers (NEFL)
McLaren Districts (GSFL)* vs Kadina (YPFL)

Quarter Finals Week 3
Prince Alfred OC (AdFL Div 1)* vs Two Wells (APFL)
South Gawler (BLGFA)* vs West Whyalla (WFL)
Millicent (WBFL) vs Nairne Bremer (HFL Div 1)*
Flagstaff Hill (SFL) vs McLaren Districts (GSFL)*

Semi Finals Week 4
Prince Alfred OC (AdFL Div 1) vs South Gawler (BLGFA)
Nairne Bremer (HFL Div 1) vs McLaren Districts (GSFL)

Final Week 5 - Gather Round
? vs ?
by Aerie
Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Use to be a 3rd day as a reserve day, which was often used, about 20 odd years ago. Monday was the reserve day.

With 8 teams, the schedule would work to have a 3-day comp (Sat/Sat/Sun) all season. Then a 4-day final Sat/Sun/Sat/Sun. Play each other once. Wouldn't need any more Sundays than currently scheduled.
by Aerie
Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 4 Central v Eagles

Forget Port vs Norwood. Forget ANZAC Day - Glenelg vs whoever they beat in the GF (does anyone even remember)?

Elizabeth Oval on Saturday afternoon is where it’s at.

The Eagles are back after a 2 year hiatus. The Dogs are back, after 13 years in the wilderness.

The biggest clash between the 2 sides since the 2011 Grand Final. What a day that was.

Top spot on the line.

This is a return to the glory days of 2000’s SANFL football; pokies money, mini-drafts and the best bit - the emergence of online footy forums. What a time it was to be alive.

Eagles by 14 points, I reakon.
by Aerie
Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2024

Port have a top heavy list strategy, which isn't helping their reserves side and hasn't helped their AFL side either. A few of their players playing in the AFL would be strugglers at SANFL level, while their top 5 would be as good, if not better, than any in the AFL.

But, it's the SANFL's fault.

**** them off asap. Send them off with a wooden spoon (c'mon South).

We saw in the 2000's how many players came to the SANFL when the VFL was the only competition that was essentially AFL Reserves.

Even if that doesn't happen again - who cares. The integrity of a competition far outweighs what we've seen in the last 10 years.

No one cares about watching development teams.
by Aerie
Sat May 04, 2024 12:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |