Search found 147 matches

Return

Re: SANFL Draw

So will there still be only 18 games? Eagles 2014 membership is out and season ticket is same price as last year ($170 - apparently a saving of $198 off rrp...). Maths clearly not the strong suit of the membership people at the Eagles.

Will they reduce normal ticket price from $14?

Less games, same price - good luck to you.

Sturt's equivalent membership has increased to a staggering $215 :shock:

How else do you think all your Port Adelaide recruits are going to be paid, dog Sh!t?

There's a difference between training in it and being treated like it.
by zipzap
Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL to Port - Summerton is a NO go!!!!

South dominated the 1890's with 6 flags wouldn't that make everyone after that a copy?

Personally I think flags won before federation have far greater weight to them and everything after is just so cheap and nasty after the colonies sold there soul to federalism!!!!
by Panther Pack
Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Eagles 2014

Grocke has currently played two internal trials and looks like getting up for the first match.
Von Bertouch has been flying in trials and has great football instincts.
Improvements from Batley, Martyn, Poole and Appleton will significantly improve the onball running division.
Sumner lost confidence in his game when Heath took over the floating backman roll and was then unsure of his role, this should be now rectified.
Lachy MacGregor has been training well and looks fit, he could be a surprise pocket rocket.
Culley is still over coming last seasons injury where he ripped the hamstring off the bone don't know how far off he is.
Hope some players from the last two U18 premierships can step up and put pressure on the first 21.

Main areas of weakness are in ruck and lack of height in the back lines.
Unsure where our likely finish will be.
by ferret
Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Grade Cricket

There is something off about the fact the two other names mentioned in the story are Daryl Cox and Jamie Cox...
by Trader
Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Great news

HomeMediaMedia releasesYoung stars re-sign with We...
Young stars re-sign with West End Redbacks
11 Apr 2014 - Community/Country Cricket, General News, Redbacks, SACA

The West End Redbacks have bolstered their batting stocks, re-signing two of the most promising South Australian batting prospects, Travis Head and Kelvin Smith, on multi-year deals.
Marked as a player to watch for many years, Travis Head continued to demonstrate his potential in 2013-14.
In his first season upgraded from a rookie contract, Head smashed four half-centuries in the first three matches of the Bupa Sheffield Shield, including three scores in the 90’s.
“Travis has been part of the squad for a few years now and is beginning to gain the understanding and maturity required to be a first-class batsman,” said General Manager High Performance, Jamie Cox.
“He is eager to learn and improve and we hope he can continue to build on his performances in 2013-14.”
Kelvin Smith is another young South Australian on the rise. A member of the U19 World Cup team, a number of strong Toyota Futures League performances have given Smith an opportunity to press his claims for an upgrade to a full West End Redbacks contract.
Playing three Bupa Sheffield Shield matches last season, Smith compiled his maiden first-class half-century against Western Australia in a match-winning 93-run partnership with Travis Head.
“Kelvin is a young player on the rise and we believe he will mature into an outstanding first-class batsman for the West End Redbacks. We are excited that Kelvin will continue his development here in Adelaide.”
Both Head and Smith will spend the summer with the Cricket Australia National Performance Squad, working at the National Cricket Centre in Brisbane before playing a quad-series against Australia A, India A and South Africa A.
Previous page
by bloods08
Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Great news

Great news we've kept two home grown young guns. Klinger is a loss, but perhaps for once, this will be a mature age recruit that backfires for someone other than SA!
by Shark_Hunter
Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Username Tattoo

smac wrote:Across my left arse cheek.

And then you'd get "k me" across the right one?
by Pseudo
Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R5 - South V WWT Eagles Post Match

Panther Pack wrote:If I were a Eagles supporter id be disappointed that with 3 extra players fit they only just got over the line.

I'm inconsolable.
by areaman
Mon May 05, 2014 10:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2013/14 BIG BASH

At least with cricket the 'grow our market through bastardizing the traditional game' was done with a whole new format.

AFL on the other hand has ****** it right up.
by smac
Mon May 12, 2014 2:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

To Dols, booney. kikinit

This is a serious question, so don’t take it as a dig but with the following, do you see the advantage gifted to you or would you consider having the below all part and parcel
Full Time Coaches, Fitness coach touted as one of the best in the world, Dieticians, Sports Physiologists, Fitness personnel, Doctors and Physios, Massage therapist , player e welfare managers, Million dollar facilities, Million dollar Fitness Facilities, recovery facilities, Million dollar Medical Facilities.
Full Time Professional AFL players averaging around 15 players per game with a combined salary of $2-$3 million dollars
Yes the crows have all of the above and I don’t give a shit as my club doesn’t nor does 7 other SANFL clubs.
I am not whinging because The Power is on Top I dislike the crows with a passion as well for playing in a comp and having these benefits and advantages.
And the thing that pisses every one of the most is you will not acknowledge the advantage given to your team.
You were granted an AFL licence, and good onya, but don’t use the resources of being given that and think you have no advantage or been given any advantage over your opposition. Most of the other items apart from the Salary cap could be taken that the club has worked to get those advantages. But unfortunately the Salary Cap can’t be.
Even Collingwood in the AFL have advantages over the comp in terms of $, but funnily enough a new word has entered the equation Equalisation, where the AFL has said we can’t have a team with that much financial clout and off field advantages although they have the same salary cap as the rest of the comp.
So the Brains trust at the AFL has seen how having a team with more resources will destroy their comp but for some reason you can’t see how it will destroy the SANFL
by Maddawg
Sun May 18, 2014 9:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Interesting that despite Port's relative "Success" in the past 18 months they are yet to turn things around financially, where do they stand now (and the future) the SANFL are no longer bank rolling them? Here is a link, even though the 2013 Annual Report doesn't seem to be (easily found) on the PAFC website. Loss of $1.69 million, following on from a loss of $2.1 million in the 2012 Annual Report. That 2012 result was with a special grant from the SANFL of $2 million though, so it was a real trading loss of $4.1 million. (The club has a 'book' asset valuation of $5 million calculated by deducting assets from $17 million, liabilities of $12 million, but that's only 'book value' as a going concern, i.e. if you were to shut the place up and flog its assets on the market, you'd never get near $17 million.)

Financially, the dream is that Port Adelaide FC improves from being a basketcase, to a mere mediocrity (i.e. break-even or smallish losses). Or to put it another way: if it were a for-profit business on the stock exchange, its shares would be trading at about 1 cent and it could be bought for near enough to nothing by anyone willing to take on its debt. (See: the horribly starry-eyed North Melbourne FC stock market float, from the pre-Wall Street days when capitalism was going to save the world.) And yes, there are at least 6 to 8 current AFL clubs (and no doubt at least 4 or 5 SANFL clubs) you could also say that about.

Like most footy clubs forever, Port runs on commitment, belief, momentum and hope. Of course there have been a lot of wonderful things written about Adelaide Oval, and the 2014 Annual Report result should be a lot better than those that preceded it, but I doubt whether the location a club plays home games at, can change the fundamentals of its business.

The most hilarious thing about the 'Crows reserves in the SANFL' argument (among many hilarious things), was the claim, 'without the $50k per club per year fee and all of the lovely extra attention from letting the Crows play, about 5 clubs will pack up and close and the SANFL comp will be basically destroyed anyway, because look at the terrible balance-sheets these clubs have ! Newsflash: many or most footy clubs have always had balance-sheets that terrible. Ironically, the AFL was born because too many VFL clubs had sent themselves broke offering silly deals to poach stars (and just administering their business badly) by the mid-1980s, and they felt they desperately needed a cash injection to stay afloat. As the South Australians wouldn't play ball, the cashed-up West Aussies looked like an easy mark...
by SimonH
Tue May 20, 2014 5:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 10 - Port v Eagles- Post game

Sounded on the radio like the Eagles put up a bit of a contest.

So, is the Irishman getting deported? if there is any video then it will be withdrawn.

Video looks pretty damning. If he doesn't know how to play football then he can **** off till he knows how. He's already sooked off home once hasn't he?

Yeah, living on the other side of the world, feeling a bit home sick while dealing with your Grandfather's imminent passing.

Some, including me, might think you should **** off until you know what was going on?

I've got a pretty good feeling he's a better footballer than you'll ever likely be after only a very short time playing the game.
by Booney
Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SANFL Ladders & Statistics - Round 13, 2014

Better late than never.
by scott
Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 14 - Central v Eagles @ Playford Alive (Sat 19/7)

Hanna from Central is the son of Ian isn't he? I use to have the number 1 on my Torrens guernsey as a kid.
Yes, correct. Sam Hanna is the son of Ian 'Scruff' Hanna, who played for Torrens in the past...

He is / was a Potato and Christmas Tree farmer from Gumeracha...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSJch6vyX5g
by Big Phil
Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port Rezoning

So will some of these PAFC supporters finally now admit the Magpies are finally KAPUT DEAD NADA ??????

A 143 years of Magpie teamS history and zones destroyed !!!

Well done SANFL you really have excelled in destroying a once great competition.

RIP Magpies.

Get stuffed SANFL !!!!!!!!!!!
Umm, it was Ports choice to have a reserves team not the SANFL's, they gave them the option. Port were well down that path over the previous few years when stacking the Magpies with "disgruntled" players mini drafted to other clubs. Port could've honoured their Magpie heritage and kept them as a wholistic SANFL team that competed under the same SANFL salary cap....they chose not to.
Bit rich to blame the SANFL for that.
by CUTTERMAN
Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

One of the final nails in West Torrens Football Clubs coffin was taking most of their traditional area away from them and giving them the Tea Tree Gully area. Sure they got Bruce Lindsay from there, but so many top footballers from that area went to closer clubs. I know for a fact that the Jarman brothers were tied to Torrens as was North premiership player, Roger Carlaw. Port premiership player Ben Harris was also tied to Torrens and I have heard of a number of other Norwood, North, Port and Central players who were tied to Torrens but preferred to play closer to home. Johnny Graham went onto the radio pleading for the league to do something in that regard, but they had the rule in place that juniors could change clubs for $2000. Wealthy clubs like Norwood had a field day and my own club didn't do too badly either.
With these new boundaries, I can see something similar happening.
by robranisgod
Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Not saying that your opinions are less valid, they are probably more valid, but you have to admit your priorities probably cloud the bigger picture somewhat too sometimes.

I have no doubt they are.
My SANFL club is my priority, followed by my AFL club.
So why would I want further AFL intrusion in a competition that has already taken a back seat for the "bigger picture".
People say we're living in the past, that's not the case. We understand the SANFL's position - all those of us against this move want is to ensure our competition doesn't take a further slide into oblivion than it already has thanks to AFL expansion (Adelaide's entry, Port's entry, rookie listings which take more players from our comp, expansion clubs further removing players from the comp and now...AFL reserves removing more players from our clubs)?
The AFL is the premier competition, I have no complaints about that, it clearly is.
The SANFL is between a very large rock and a place that is growing ever harder.
by Dogwatcher
Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Certainly in terms of crowds and interest in the competition, the no AFL in the SANFL argument has collapsed completely.
Interesting.

The people who have been adversely affected by these changes are the sort who support their club beyond just going to games.

They (used to) go to B&F nights, pre match lunches, player auctions and other events as well as selling raffle books etc for the club.

I'm not sure the clubs will be able to replace this sort of support from the casually interested people attending the AFL Reserves matches.

This issue is not just about what is happening this year - the longer term ramifications are still to be seen.

Maybe we'll be wrong and in 5 years memberships remain stable and most fans feel just as connected to the club and comp as they did in 2013 and before.

But if we're not wrong I bet that those who are claiming it's been a success won't be around to help clean up the mess.
by areaman
Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL scheduling!

Ah! I came across to this thread because I was just thinking of this exact scenario! It's probably not the most likely scenario, but still in the mix! This did actually play out back in 2003, where both AFL sides had home finals in the first week, but if I am remembering correctly the SANFL finals did not start until the week after. This is another problem with bringing the SANFL finals forward, because the issue of two AFL finals in Adelaide is always more likely to happen in week one of the finals than any other week.

Its all because of your AFL club/s that the finals have been moved forward, they cant have some rookie listed Johnny no name and the rest of the plodders in the SANFL reserves team start their 8 weeks holidays in October when the the best 22 are all done and dusted in week 1 of the AFL finals or even better are not playing AFL finals.
Kind of makes it hard to "play to the line" as Trigg calls it
by daysofourlives
Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think SACA have an identity crisis with what they want Grade Cricket to be. Is is the elite pathway to First Class cricket or is it a glorified Community cricket competition used to get into an elite pathway? I get the feeling SACA are far from convinced that the Premier League concept is the way to go either. Apparently they are refusing to guarantee anything about it until after the initial commitment of 3 years is up then a review is taken.

I can't see recommending 3 mergers to reduce the teams then creating another team to get rid of the bye is going to create an more elite pathway to First Class cricket. Will any club sell their soul for just $150,000? Probably not.

Program is also in its final stages. Kick off on the 18th of Oct with the Only PL clash all year.
by heater31
Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2nd Semi Final - Port v Norwood @ Adelaide Oval (Sat 6/9

Both teams would be happy about yesterday's game as their number 1 priorities were reached. Norwood got one step closer to a SANFL premiership, and the Power reserves gave their players a decent run in preparation for their AFL team possibly playing in the finals next week.
by Mic
Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Preliminary Final - Port v South @ Adelaide Oval (Sun 14

OK. After 3 hours of not talking , I finally thought hey that's enough sulking for a grown man and told the missus I was going to the shop.

I want to say thanks to the Panthers for a great ride this season. I went to most home games and the odd away game. Plus all 3 finals.
Most games I went with the "Old Man", who was 16 the last time South won the flag .
So it's his fault I ended up following a team that I have never seen in a Grand Final.

I thought I better text mum to see if he was ok , as at the final siren he looked liked someone had stolen his last dollar.

Mum's text " He said he is jacked off cos they played well and got pipped at the post by imports. He has followed them for a long time. He is eating chocolate and he seldom does" ( diabetic ).

South Australia sometimes gets described as a "backwater" , but we love our state and our local footy. This is something people involved with the AFL and other states just don't get and will never get !!!

Good Luck to the Legs next week.
by The Panther
Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL crowd numbers

Positive people will find the positives and negative people will do the opposite.

So both sides of the have got their agendas? Thought it was just us malcontents stuck living in the 70s.

It is nice to see it finally acknowledged that you do the same, just for the forces of evil.

Not that your post makes all that much sense but I will try and reply,

If Being excited for a Port Norwood GF and hoping for a big crowd and good game means I'm supporting evil then call me Darth Vader if it makes you happy.
May the farce be with you.
by StrayDog
Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Club Finances

And to think i only had distrust for Port Power, Crows now sicken me just as much. The never ending greed of the state's 2 AFL clubs who were born from and given their life-blood by the SANFL is sickening in the extreme. Listening to the pathetic insipid John Olson continually say the SANFL purpose is that of a feeder competition to the AFL is an insult to our clubs, the competition and belittles all who compete in the SANFL.

Yep, that was uncomfortable to listen to. The greatest shame in football these days, is the attitude from the top that has filtered down of offering young people the opportunity to forge a career in football. But if you're too old (which might only be 23) then tough shit, you can't have the opportunity to make a career out of it in a lesser league.

Great to offer hope of a career to teenagers, but once you're on the scrap heap (after having done the same amount of work) noone gives a rats about you having a footballing career. Despite the fact that so many mature-aged decent state league players have been picked up and performed servicably at AFL level in recent years.

Anyway, I'm going OT .. Footy's not in a great place over here and for those of us that love the SANFL, we continue to fear for the future.
by JK
Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 Retirements & 2015 Player Movement Discussions

You have already posted this before why keep harping about it. We get the message that you don't rate him.
What's he supposed to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!FWa
I reckon you'd be fun to stand near at the footy...

Ferret has a history of being 'fun' to stand next to at the footy. His best 'fun' though has been in the grandstand where many humorous incidents have taken place over the years.
by wedgetail
Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Qld v SA

Old mate Ferg stepped up again!!
To be fair, Ferg has had a fairly decent year. Until the last shield match, he was definitely the pick of our batsmen - quite often the only one to make runs.

Including today's knock, 729 runs at 48.60, including 3 centuries and 3 50's.
Next best out of the current players is Cossie, averaging 36.
Prior to the last match, Ferg was averaging 58.6

Can't blame him for SA's demise.

Cheers
by bulldogproud2
Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well what a weekend. Finally after losing last year’s grandfinal the boys got to experience the ultimate. Losing last year probably made this years win so much better. As many of our blokes have said, they would hand back all the short form flags for this one.
Firstly a fantastic effort by Woodville who played the game to very end and could have easily batted for 2 days. Adam Sommerfields 15over spell with the old ball changed the game and Wints came back with the second new ball and cleaned the tail up.
Their innings was a great contest of good solid batting and disciplined bowling. We thought that if we could get them 5-6 down we could run through their tail. Then for us to grab 40 runs before the end of the days play was also crucial.
Our batting inning was the perfect chase really apart from losing Cuconits and Trav in quick time, and a couple wickets at the end with 4runs to get. The partnerships of Evans and Cuconits, Evans and Tim Davey, Borgas and Weavs getting the job done.
Great reward for the players who have stayed loyal to TTG and played through many a bad time. All apart from 3 played Juniors at the club, Sommers obviously from Mt Gambier but played for at TTG for numerous years, Wints via the ACT and Izzy Borgas from Northerns.
On a little end note, it was great to see back at the club the A grade boys got the U16white lads who also won the flag up to sing the club song with them. The look on the young lads face after was priceless.
by Footy Smart
Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 5 - Port v Eagles @ Alberton (Sat 2/5)

A great team game by the Eagles yesterday. No really outstanding individuals. A team effort where every player did their bit and followed the game plan. The first half was a war of attrition to see who would crack first, the Eagles appeared to be wilting ten minutes from half time and a couple of goals to the power reserves seemed to give them a lift which should have given them the confidence to kill off the Eagles in the second half, along with their supposed superior AFL fitness. A positive attitude from the Eagles after half time and the willingness to a chance proved decisive.
When the power fell behind their lack of guts to take chances made it easy for the Eagles to close out the game.
Although the stats suggest that maybe the power were the better team the more direct play and the chance taking made it all obvious to those watching that the Eagles deserved to win.
The Eagles have now beaten the two grand finalists from last year.
Was the poor performance against West Adelaide the waking up call they needed.
It appears some intensive work in the off season on a completely different game plan, bridge mending, regaining the players confidence in him and giving a few local former juniors a chance is paying off handsomely for Godden.
by ferret
Sun May 03, 2015 9:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Norwood VS Adelaide

I understand why self interest prevailed at the time but this is why I HATE dealing with the fact that my club voted "yes ". And in such a deceitful manner. So..........Norwood, you've voted for an opponent which does not bring an extra 400 supporters to games (let alone 4000), does not "play to the line", and throws it's petticoat over its head if the "State League" side is called the SANFL. And because this bunch of inbred boys club b-graders have no regard for the competition in which they field their confused mixed up,topped up bunch of reserves they have the temerity to dictate when these no contests are to take place, including in front of some people who pay money.Integrity? I used to think Pseudo was a crackpot Don Quixote who simply tilted at windmills...I'm a slow learner, but I get it now.
by Douglas Mawson
Mon May 04, 2015 12:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Andrew Sincock has stepped down from the SACA Board.

That is significant.
My mail is that he was opposed to cutting a team so by stepping down do we assume that SACA are actually going to go through with this?

I didn't think they'd actually pull the trigger to be honest.

It certainly is significant. Very interesting to see what happens now. Any SACA Board member with a semblance of conscience should be doing the same thing.

SACA Board about to look like absolute dogs with what will probably be revealed in the next day or so.
Maybe some jumped shipped because they value their souls.
by woodvillewarrior
Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This has obviously been brewing for years. The use/development of those vacant fields went out to tender 5+ years ago. Sporting bodies had to put forward proposals for how they would be utilised.

How does a "vote of no confidence" get implemented? Grade cricket (and any cricket supporter in SA) can't sit idly by and allow this to happen.
by Tony Clifton
Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Aerie wrote:When was the last time Prospect, Adelaide and University made A Grade finals? Records don't go that far back in MyCricket.

1stGrade_Last13Seasons.PNG

From someone who has SACA AGM Books.
by woodvillewarrior
Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How does it not concern Adelaide? You lot have continually slandered the Club and insinuated that they received preferential treatment from a SACA Staff member. Far as I can see it does concern ACC........ Our club accreditation is far from perfect but it does score very well after sailing pretty close to the wind for a couple of years things are on the improve and with a bit of luck perhaps the successes of the early 2000's will return unlike your flash in the pan success 1 time in the last 50 seasons.

Mean while you wonder why your club is getting singled out? How about stop poaching other club's juniors to prop up your First Grade Team and heck while you are at it get a full compliment of junior sides as it stands presently as all the other clubs currently fulfill......

The Clubs will continue to fight as we have nothing to lose, and Heater - I have spoken to several from Adelaide CC who agree they thought they would be one of the Clubs under the pump and would be doing exactly the same thing if it was them, so for people on here to suggest we "get over it and just accept it" is total garbage!

The only negative for Adelaide was the size of the bank account, everything else was in an ok position, One of the best Junior retention/progression into First Grade, Healthy junior numbers and respectable on field results without bringing home the bacon in each grade. One of the better rated facilities in the competition. No doubt if the Administration in place during the 2013/14 season were to remain there would be no merger discussions at all.....just a liquidation sale :oops:

Were these board members? If they were not I hope they were prepared to step up as I know a couple of board members were going to seriously consider their positions on the board if they found themselves facing this sort of fight.

From a West Torrens perspective they should be disappointed as they actually have a future with a strong junior section.....Port Adelaide on the other hand not so much. Very little junior future and their current recruiting strategy consists of messaging any First or Second Year First Grade player from other clubs! They were a basket case 15-20 years ago and threatened to be kicked out. I bet SACA now wish they followed through with this......
Great, Oyster now dishing out the threats :roll:

Pull your head in sunshine before you embarrass you and your club any further.

Your saying it has nothing to do with Glenelg or Adelaide? Well there are members of Port Adelaide and West Torrens spreading miss-information about both clubs. Glenelg Cricket club $3 million in the hole? :roll: That is the Football Club and has nothing to do with the Cricket Club. Your continual slander about how these clubs avoided any scrutinising has forced them to inform their members of their position. All clubs went through the same process it didn't matter if it was Adelaide, Glenelg or bloody Kensington.

People seem to ignore the fact that for the outer western suburbs the demographics are changing and its for the worse for those clubs. West Torrens might be able to survive on their own but what about Port Adelaide? They have about half a dozen schools to draw kids from and even then not all of those have cricket teams. Its not about how many Premierships you have won but where your future lies.

Heater you mention about not slandering your club but seems that you enjoy bagging or have some form of vendetta against Port Adelaide. PACC are not the team from years ago that were given a criteria that they had to meet. I think that is shown in the results over the past few years. What weeksy is trying to achieve there, is a further step in the right direction.
What the SACA is trying to do is a disgrace and until this report is finally revealed for all clubs to see, no club in the league deserves the disrespect that is being dished up to PA and WT.
by Iron Fist
Wed May 18, 2016 6:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hahaha. Pistols at dawn fellas.
Hound I'll second ya.
But seriously, I'm not sure it was a good idea that the 2 clubs spoke out.
Oysters right its none of their business.
Regardless of rivalry, that's fine, but its the demise of 2 proud clubs. Bit of respect wouldnt go astray!
by tigerpie
Wed May 18, 2016 6:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Also drove past Tapleys Hill Rd / Burbridge Rd corner where the Uni cricket ovals are being developed. Seems to be coming along. Anyone know what they're being used for and when they'll be ready? Just spare cricket facilities at this stage are they?
To put more Turf teams in the ATCA.

They might also throw the SACA Thirds/Fourths there in future whilst they re-lay Park 10.
by heater31
Mon May 23, 2016 10:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Do the clubs who recruit heavily spend as much time and resources making sure they 'recruit' the best junior players in their zone initially? Do they know who the best 11, 12, 13 year olds are that are playing cricket in their metro or country zone? Do they provide quality coaching sources for their juniors or just dads of junior players?

The problem with recruiting senior players is that it doesn't actually make grade cricket any stronger as a whole. It just redistributes the existing assets.

Port target the 11, 12 & 13 year old kids to give them chances in the 14's to develop younger, their training's are very well constructed by coaches that aren't just parents.

They have junior co-ordinators and specialized training in the other set of nets that face the oval. We only got to see the last few trainings for the season just gone and I was quite impressed, I'll be taking my son out there again this season and a couple of other kids from his Woody Rech side.
by Lightning McQueen
Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Magarey Medal

What was this thing last night in the interview with s williams about throwing a wall mounted phone and hitting a poor old Eagles supporter. Sounds like a real wimpish act by him. Was he sanctioned, did the poor old supporter get an apology. Russell Crowe received a hell of a lot of angst for throwing a piddly little mobile phone at a hotel porter plus a huge fine. Seems that nothing was made of this disgraceful act.
by ferret
Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Can understand how better prepared wickets can help with the run scoring, but how is the upgraded ball better for the batsman? Not saying it's not, I wouldn't know, just interested why this ball is supposedly more batsman friendly?

Have they also cracked down on ball tampering after incident last season?
Seam is less pronounced I believe.

Being the amateur aerodynamicist that I am...that would smooth out the air flow over the ball reducing the tendency to swing.

The effect would be miniscule as clubs would still have majority regulation balls at training.
by heater31
Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Can understand how better prepared wickets can help with the run scoring, but how is the upgraded ball better for the batsman? Not saying it's not, I wouldn't know, just interested why this ball is supposedly more batsman friendly?

Have they also cracked down on ball tampering after incident last season?

The turf ball goes softer much quicker. Has less of a seam as mentioned earlier, which means it doesn't move as much off the deck or in the air. They tend to lose their shape much quicker as well and go square. They also stop swinging after 10 overs unless you get a pitch that isn't very abrasive, but with decks being mowed and rolled to within an inch of their lives you seldom get a ball swinging conventional in the 20th over.

While ball tampering is obviously not the right thing to do, teams need to find a way to get the ball moving off the straight ASAP, otherwise blokes at 5-9 can all make hundreds without a lot to deal with.

There is a clear difference in the styles of cricket between teams because of this as well I think. Sturt have some good swing bowlers who go missing after the first session because spin from both ends is the only option. Northerns haven't got the cattle to blast a side out so they ring up sides and play boring cricket on a slow wicket. Then you get Glenelg who have someone like Jack Pudney who will get the ball reversing at 130km/h and bowl sides out just after tea. That would't happen with a rego ball, every side would take wickets consistently UNLESS batsmen actually do some hard work and knuckle down for a couple hours.
by backoftheroom
Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What is happening now is that some clubs with pop gun attacks who used to prosper can no longer do so. It's a very good thing for cricket.

Clubs are being forced to uncover bowlers with genuine weapons - height, speed, skills other than just accuracy. Also spinners who genuinely give the ball a rip. I think if we look at the % of overs bowled by wrist spinners this season and compared it to 4 years ago it would have increased.

In turn that means to make runs batters will need to be able to handle facing pace and be adept at playing spin. Skills that actually translate to first class level. Batting time vs medium pacers does not translate at all.

Teams need to take wickets in the first session when the ball is new which is exactly as it should be.

The turf ball doesn't go softer quicker. It doesn't lose shape more. It's a better quality ball.

It's a good thing that bowlers who bowl at 115km/hr can no longer be successful in A Grade cricket. That was the biggest blight on our game previously. When cricketers from Sydney and Melbourne grade cricket came here it was always the first observation they made. No pace, lots of boring medium pacers compared to back home.
by Tony Clifton
Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian International Summer

Jim05 wrote:Burns copped a shocker IMO

You've gotta be kidding Jim
by carey
Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How do they calculate the percentages in the T20 comp? Is it different to the 2-day comp?

I presume they factor run rate in to it?

I cant work it out either Aerie? West Torrens thumped Southern in Round 3 and our % went down. The last round both Glenelg and WT won and both went down again. East Torrens were undefeated and lost to TTG, dropped over 1.2% to miss finals. Weird system!

It's simply net run rate lads!

Glenelg scored 617 runs from 79.2 overs --> run rate = 7.7773
Glenelg conceded 503 runs from 80 overs --> run rate = 6.2875

7.7773 - 6.2875 = 1.4898
by Trader
Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Another great effort from Daniel Drew. Has had a fantastic season in all forms. Excellent bat, useful bowler and superb fielder. Must be pushing the Redback incumbents. Possible outside chance for the Bradman Medal.
by ferret
Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

To all present and past players, managers, volunteers & supporters

As you all know SACA have nominated the Port Adelaide and West Torrens District Cricket Clubs as the two Club from which one will be eliminated from the 1st Grade (A Grade) competition in 2016/17, unless a meger of the two clubs is achieved.

The State Government is planning to establish a parliamentary committee to investigate the proposed merger in the Premier Cricket competition on May 18th.

We feel that this committee will unfairly target the Glenelg District Cricket Club and only cause more angst and pain in the local cricket community.

We are confident about Glenelg's position as a standalone club. Glenelg has elite players, a world-class ground and a strong community of people who love this club.

It is not the role of government to tell us to merge or close. No one spoke to us about the government's plans and our voice has deliberately been ignored up to this point.

How can you help us stop this?

Contact your state MP, the Government and Opposition and tell them that you oppose the committee.

Government Minister for Sport Leon Bignell: ministerleonbignell@sa.gov.au and 8226 1210

Opposition Shadow Minister for Sport Tim Whetstone: chaffey@parliament.sa.gov.au and 8582 4230

We appreciate your support in this matter and look forward to competing in the new season of the 12 team Premier league competition.

Regards,

Alan Scholz
GDCC Hon. Secretary

Does anyone know if this Parliamentary Enquiry has asked Glenelg to merge or close yet or unfairly targeted them?

Glad the battles can be played on the field now.

West Torrens vs Glenelg in both the short forms.

One Day Final at Henley Oval this Sunday at 11am
T20 Final at Adelaide Oval Sunday March 5th at 12 noon

Oyster and The Hound to have a cup of tea together at the change of innings. :lol: , maybe not! a proposal has been put into SACA for the game to be delayed until Sayers and Carey are available :D, nice to see the GDCC and WT boys sharing a beer after Saturday's game :partyman:
by The Hound
Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You b****** beauty!!!!!
Even sweeter than the Western Bulldogs flag!
Congrats to an amazing and wonderful bunch of guys!! From SuperCoach Mark Harrity to the littlest guy in the Under 13's, this club rocks!! To have SACA tell us where to go, to our first silverware in a decade, this is a sweet one. All the best to Dom Bess on his flight home to England: wins a flag and then has to be at the airport two hours later!!
Still possibly two more flags to come, but even if it is just this one we taste, I am a happy man!
Cheers
by bulldogproud
Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2016/2017

The Ferg comes good when we really needed him. Well done, Ferg. Well done.
by Booney
Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2016/2017

Good to see the guy that had been making runs all season at District level get picked and then make runs for the State side. Should have been selected earlier of course.
by RB
Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Any likely changes to the lineups that played in the Semis for WT and Kens?

Would be unlikely. Reading between the lines from Siddons comments in paper, sounds like Kane Richardson is fit and up for selection, but cant see Redbacks making any changes. They may take 12 or 13 players, and he may be 12th, but because they start Sunday, and we start Saturday, doubt he will play for us.

Kensington's young opening batsmen Henry Dall pulled out on weekend with apparently pneumonia, so not sure he would be ready to come back this weekend, so they may not change winning team either.
by Eagles2014
Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |