Search found 62 matches

Return

Re: Great Southern Football League

Personally I have no hate for Pongy either, I’m full of admiration for them actually. Agree with everything you’ve said about the work they’ve done across the grades- brilliant stuff.

It just seems to me that in general to be able to compete at the top of the table, rules get bent/broken. And people get frustrated because they can’t compete when doing the right thing. They just want an even playing field. Everyone wonders how clubs have managed to put the numbers of quality players on the field every week when they have the same salary cap.

So as soon as a club manages to gather many good players the suspicions rise.

I recently met the uncle of a now retired star player of our league. We were just talking about country footy in general and other leagues merging and money…. And he suddenly said well there’s plenty of money in the gsfl. I asked what he meant and he revealed his relationship to this player and the amount he was getting. $1200 pw. ( pre- covid salary cap reduction). He also said it’s hard to get caught when it’s cash. (Not Pongy btw). I also know of a club from another league that couldn’t keep one of their own locals even with the offered incentive of the $1000 marquee payment, as he was going to get more at this same gsfl club.

I know of other examples of this and I’m sure many people do. I don’t know what the answer is to this. The punishments for getting caught are massive. The SANFL are actively investigating clubs and make life a misery for volunteer administrators. But it’s clear that is not enough deterrent. Cash is still king.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
by field of dreams
Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

That better? [emoji2957]

by field of dreams
Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Great Southern Football League

Yes some unexpected outcomes this week.

GPE have shown some good periods of play in earlier rounds so another win wasn’t out of the realms but after losing to Yank last week, I didn’t see it coming against Compass. The quarter by quarter scores indicate GPE had the game on their terms all day. The margin was the biggest surprise.

Strath continued their up and down form against Creeks, who’s win helped gave sides currently in the 5 a bit more security. Both will continue to push those above to earn any wins as the round progresses.

As per my tips after seeing Willunga at home last week I did think they were a very good chance to inflict McLaren’s first loss. The surprise was the apparent ease the running scores indicate they did it with.

Victor got off to a good start with 2 early goals into the wind on a wet night at VH, but Bays then made good use of the wind to control the scoreboard at 1/4 time 4-4 to 3-0.
It was all VH in the second with 5 goals to 0 and it seemed like they would go in with it from there. The 3rd was a very even slog in the wet with both sides managing 2 goals and VH took a 22 point lead into the final term.
Bays slotted 3 quick goals at the start of the last and it was game on with the margin only 3 points. It was a great tussle from then on with one to vh, another to bays, then BOG medal winner Ross held his nerve and kicked a 50m set shot truly in the tough conditions. Another to VH saw the 93 premiership reunion crowd watching on relax a little. But bays kept coming with another goal each before the final siren saw a 12 point win to VH.
Great to see the sides sitting 8 and 9 on the ladder are so competitive and will continue to help shape the final 5.

by field of dreams
Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Good summary and agree with your predictions JJ. Victor and strath forward lines are quality and should be a good contest. I wouldn’t expect to see the 14 goal thumping from round one repeated. Toss of the coin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk With VH having 7 out from the previous game (and 2 SC and 1 B grader stepping up to play their 2nd games for the day) , expectations for a closer game quickly changed with VH dominating the first quarter to be 7 goals to zero up at the first change. Not sure if Strath were similarly hit by changes but Clamp a late out to the crows and Simounds seemingly not fit helped the VH backline who had 4 of the regular 6 out. Overall took up the Ruck reins and dominated around the ground, Wiese staked a claim for a regular midfield role picking up possessions at will and the other ins from the reserves were all good contributors. Strath had the best of the last as the effects of illness and 3 further injuries meaning no bench rotations took their toll on vh but the 10 goal 3/4 time lead was enough to see a 34 point final margin.
Hopefully vh will get some players back for the big game against Pongy this week.

by field of dreams
Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I spoke to a mate that suggested I watch the HappyFM replay of Myponga as we have them soon (it was hard to find, but went to their website in the end), I would say Spinks would be breathing a little easier today for not being sent off with what should have been at least a yellow card Saturday twice. Once he throws a big elbow at a player on the wing right in front of the grandstand at Victor that does just collect (the result wasn't heavy but the intent was horrible), & then in the last 1/4 he runs straight into another's head with his hip in the back pocket, in an intentional act that could have had very serious results. Even the commentators were questioning how he got away with both.

1:26 on the video is the elbow.
The bump at 2:15 would be multiple weeks in the afl. I’m an old fart that played when that sort of stuff was pretty regular but that bump was bloody dangerous. Poor Cooper that was on the receiving end was thrown into an advertising sign soon after too at 2:18.

Apparently Spinks did end up at the tribunal but got let off on both charges!!! Protect the head they say…. "Players who choose to bump are almost certain to be suspended if they make contact with the head as the AFL tightens its rules amid heightened concussion scrutiny" ..... Not in the GSFL - anything goes!
by field of dreams
Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

McLaren 24: GPE, EB, Yank
Pongy 22: LC, Will, MtComp
VH 22:Yank, MtComp, LC
Will 20: ST, Pongy, GPE
MtComp 18: EB, VH, Pongy
LC 16: Pongy, GPE, VH

Also, VH reserves kept their finals hopes alive by defeating McLaren who were sitting 2nd on the ladder. VH now sit 6th equal on points with EB in 5th but 4.6% behind. I believe this is the first time they have beaten McLaren since they entered the GSFL. The VH squad is certainly good enough to play finals but will be rueing games they have dropped.
Bays have MtC 8th, McL, ST 7th
VH have Yank 9th, MC 8th, LC 3rd

Having your reserves in the first week or 2 of the finals is a good thing. Pongy, Will, LC and McLaren will be there.

by field of dreams
Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Round 17…

Smart money goes with ladder position today.

Creek over Goolwa convincingly
McLaren to beat Bays
Pongy over Willunga
Strath over yank by plenty
Victor to beat compass in a slog

Margins at the mercy of the weather and ovals.

by field of dreams
Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

GPE were the most Most noncompetitive team i've seen since the days Port Elliot were copping hidings back in the day. Having said that the guys out there gave it their best shot all day fighting it out to the finish but it's obvious they've lost a shit load of players in the last month .

It's a fine line....

When they lost to GPE in round 11, Compass had 4 guys out that would be in their best side.

GPE had 14 of the same players on the field against Creek that played against Compass. From that side they have lost Jacob Hughes, Brett Heintze and James Fry since round 12, Josh Slape since 14, Jesse Bates since 16. Thats 5 of their best, however they had regained recruits Lucas Hughes and Justin Watson.... Gone from 48pt win to a 199pt loss!

Add to that they've also lost 3 other Goody Saints recruits - Jordon Turner since rd15, Luke Stanton (played 6 games early in year) and Tom Barry ( 3 games early in year).
by field of dreams
Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Great summary and preview JJ.

Mostly same same except I’m leaning toward Bays over Strath.

VH vs LC will be interesting. VH were outplayed at Compass last week after winning 6 in a row (including McLaren and Myponga). They won’t be at full strength so can they flick the switch back on?

I’m looking forward to seeing how the B grade plays out at VH today. The same sides will play off in the elimination final next week. Creek were far too good in round 9 with a 56 point drubbing, but VH have been found some form as the season has progressed.

Gees JJ must be on a fair old mad Monday!

Willunga just got some blank and white witches hats out and had another training run. 203 points!

McLaren took the sword to Yank to with a 107 point win.

Hard fought affair between Pongy and Compass with the quarter by quarter margins only 1pt, 4pts, 20pts and 14pts. With 20 scoring shots to 11 perhaps it should have been a bigger win but a good hit out for finals all the same.

The Strath v Bays game would have been entertaining with plenty of goals kicked and bays overcoming a 15 point half time deficit to run away by 6 goals.

The Victor v Creek clash was a bit of a strange game. Creeks still had plenty of their best missing and Victor rested some players. The northern end was favoured by the breeze and Victor had kicked 5 before Creek got on the board. 5-5 to 2-0 at the first break.

The second quarter saw a more even tussle, except on the scoreboard. Creek capitalised on Victor mistakes and transitioned from defence to score goals at will, whereas Victor were wasteful. 7-0 from Creek to 2-4 left creek ahead at the long break 9-0 to 7-9.

Victor came out on a mission in the 3rd and totally dominated in one of their biggest quarters for the year kicking 11-3 to 1-1 to take an 18-12 to 10-1 lead into the last.

With the damage done, creek fought on to win the last 4-4 to 3-2.
Final: 21-14 to 14-5. Stock had his most fruitful day of the year with 7 majors.

Earlier, VH B’s turned around that 56 point loss to a 66 point win. It will be interesting to see how many Creek get back for the elimination when they clash again.

Hopefully some reasonable weather this week will leave McLaren and Pongy ovals in good shape for this weeks finals.

by field of dreams
Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

And indeed the B Grade Elim Final was a lot closer with it being a Draw :shock: with Victor going onto win in Extra time.

A Grade finals over the weekend were both cliffhangers which was not at all surprising given how close the comp has been all season.
Myp/Sellicks stopped to a walk in the last quarter to fall in against Victor by 3 points whilst Willunga scraped in by 1 point to Eliminate Compass

Watch Pongy on the footy app. That last 1/4 was heart attach stuff. Congrats Pongy hanging on for so long. The second half of the last 1/4 was entirely in the VH forward line. Now to get into the GF. \:D/ Yeah it certainly was. Was a good tough finals hitout. Pongy started best but Victor fought back to lead by a goal at quarter time. The second was all Pongy and Victor were lucky they didn’t put more score on the board (4-6 to 1-1). Victor whittled away at the lead in each of the last 2 quarters and pongy defended the constant attack in the last to hold on by 3 points.

The As and Bs on Sunday were even bigger heart testers with 2 draws at full time. Despite the Sunny day conditions for footy were very trying in the strong wind. Sides still managed to score into it and those scores were crucial.
I was surprised victor got up in the end of the Bs as it took till then second half for them to switch on and imo creek had looked the better side.

by field of dreams
Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

looking at the update ins and outs, Goolwa needs some huge signs and players recomiting to not be the points booster again

Not sure the bottom 4 clubs would be going after huge signings. With pongy and victor spending around $5k a week (maybe more??), they wouldn’t catch up anyway. Better off just ticking over and not being involved in the bidding wars. Goolwa with 5 blokes at $1000 each, probably could be a shot at 5th but that’s not good finance management
Looking at the sides in's and outs, my guess would be Victor might be saving $ with all 3 leaving would have been getting something plus fuel for 3 v's 1? Aren't all their players basically locals or returning locals? I know a lot of them from around the place, and they are all mates from Colts days. They're where we were in the 2000's That’s right Cheep Seats.

5k a week?? Victor don’t have a winery or a milk factory lol.

by field of dreams
Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

At this point, it doesn’t seem like a lot will change from last year really

by field of dreams
Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |