Search found 126 matches

Return

Re: Great Southern Football League

Whats wrong with the points system now? Persoanlly i dont know too much about it and some tinkering may improve it slightly but what i do know is the the GSFL last season was probably one of the most even it has been for a long long long time with injury lists seemingly deciding matches quite often.
Like that JJ looking on from a far and knowing the GSFL quite well as with the hfl slowly the points system is evening things out . I think the gsfl is a bit further ahead given there are some bigger communitys down that way for sponsers etc , compared to some of the smaller hills clubs all drawing fom the same pot of sponsers but it is working .!!

Agree... Nothing wrong with the point system here in GSFL... Working well...

It does need some tinkering tho. Small towns like Yank have little option but to bring in imports just to be up there. Guys please don't say yeah here we go again, but talent is very limited with youth to develop and ours are 3-4 years away. Very similar in Mypo I would reckon. Personally I think the points should range from a minimum of 12 to a maximum of 18. I have been in control of a club when involved with salary cap and it stinks to high heaven. Points are the answer but getting it right takes very good league administration. :)

Haven't you got 5 kids training with the U/18s at South? ;) The point system is fine - sure it has some flaws but a salary cap..... doesn't work. It would be like the days when FOD was playing for Victor. All the boys "working" at the Crown but they were all on the wrong side of the bar! :lol:
by words of wisdom
Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I have heard Goolwas forward line will consist of Bridges, D.Hirst, Kies, Pearce, Rick & Mark Davis! Any truth LF?
by words of wisdom
Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Saw one of the funniest things on saturday - A certain A grade player from Mt Compass who doesn't mind getting on the lip a lot, hold the ball up in the air, right in front of the grandstand at Compass & yell to the Mypo crowd "who's got the ball". He then proceeded to kick it into the man on the mark & watch him run right pass him a kick a goal from about 40m out. I'm sure the other half of his family (involved at pongy) will let him know about for awhile! :oops: :oops: :lol:
by words of wisdom
Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah Litster got a mid year concessional half season rookie contract for Essendon to replace all the players they are due to lose this week as part of the whole roids scandal. You heard it here first
by fiftympenalty
Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What a great day last Saturday at myponga a great tough victory to the mighty strath roosters.
You guys are right it wasn't the best spectacle game with heaps of ball ups 35 in one qtr it is believed, but one positive was the umpires didn't call ticky touch frees. It was a real high pressured game that flowed backwards & Fwds between each teams half fwd lines. Strath went in at half time under the pump after only getting 3 inside 50s for the 2nd qtr & Marc Elliott missing two simple shots running in to open goals. The game opened up & Marc Elliott redeemed himself after being put in the middle & kicked 4.3 for the day. Simon Munn was very close to being best on ground with some crucial goals & touches when the game was on the line. Congrats to jordy hall I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't have known or rated this kid at the start of the year but he is a freakish talented kid who has just won his 2nd a grade gf plus named in team of the year & best on in the gf. A few big days of celebrations have been had this week I'm sure the national dog trials enjoyed our support at the club sunday. Thanks to myponga footy club for being great hosts on the day everything seemed to run without any glitches.
Bring on 2015 will be interesting reading the rumours over the off season.
by kickittome
Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I reckon we would have spent more than those clubs last year and finished behind them, But it's not about the total spend, it's about who gets it and who is value. Guys like Grocke, Ebert, Mieklejohn get big coin but have big impacts. Not always on field but they are worried about by opposition and coaching impact is huge. We got 120 goals out of 3 local lads under 25. Ebo would have to take some credit for that
by LuvsFooty
Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

field of dreams wrote:
words of wisdom wrote:Tristan Gum has signed at Myponga. Fair midfield they've assembled - Ty Allen, Gum, Carroll & Hunt.
If anyone has a key forward that we could have, it would be greatly appreciated! :D

Losing the Emirates deal not a big issue then. :D

Lose the Middle East but pick up China! :lol:
by words of wisdom
Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Might be too early for end of minor round ladder predictions but why not:

Encounter bay
strathalbyn
mcclaren-have recruited quality
goolwa pt elliot
yankalilla-waste of $$$ if they dont!

willunga
langhorne creek
victor
Myponga sellicks
mt compass
by oldbomber
Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Clubs with problems at Junior Level is not uncommon these days . It is a major concern when committees see the A grade only as the whole Club. Mt Compass will not be the only one with problems here , I know of another who is heading down the same path. Have lost so many Juniors over the past 6-7 years and can't get them back. And unfortunately most Clubs don't have the drawing power , population that VH & EB have , this is not a slur on these two Clubs . I say good luck to them and more importantly they do put good time and effort in to the Junior side and have reaped rewards. Not all things are rosy in the GSFL at the moment , the next couple of seasons could see Club changes , some going is my tip..

Not sure any clubs will disappear in the next couple of seasons but having no juniors for an extended period will hurt any club. Mt Compass & probably Yank are short or struggling for numbers but it just means you have to work twice as hard to keep the kids around. Keeping their parents happier is normally the problem.... GSFL is still the premier country comp.
by words of wisdom
Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Few upsets today. Any comments?
Go Roos!

McLaren v Willunga result?? [edit] McLaren by 73 points apparently. Wow!

Cheers for that JJ. Going to be a very interesting season!
Would have to be happy down at victor land return for the $ would be pleasing ;)

16 blokes playing for VH a's on the weekend that live in VH. not a bad % for a county footy team. Of the others a majority have been there for multiple years. Reaping the rewards of the junior program. Speaking of juniors.............
by The Little Master
Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

966 days ago (about 2 1/2 seasons) Yankalilla squared off against the Creeks for the 2012 Premiership on Yanks home ground.
Creeks prevailed by 21 points 14 - 9 to 11 - 6.
Fast Forward to their Round 6 2015 clash and the only similarity to that day is the scoreline.
Creeks again prevailing in a hard fought scrap to win by 9 points 13 - 10 to 12 -7.
What was different today to back then?
Beers have gone up a $1
Crowd was down about 85%
Perfect conditions today compared to the strong Northerly back then.
Only 26.190476 % of players from that GF day battled it out today.
Thats 11 from 42.
Creeks had 5 (Basir, D.James, Saunders, Dave & Nick Warren)
Yank had 6 (Bond, Brannigan-Fisher, P.Fittock, Hunt, James and Sidebottom)
With such a large turnaround of players and loss of experience and some serious talent in a relatively short time it's not surprising
that these 2 clubs have plummeted so quickly.
Tho neither will threaten finals this year they should still be able to provide competitive efforts in the remaining 12 Minor
round matches.
Yank losing playing coach Thomson for the game in the 2nd Qtr with concussion ? was unlucky for them.
by jackpot jim
Sun May 17, 2015 1:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

field of dreams wrote:[emoji15]. How are you travelling for points LF?

With everyone available we are a fair way over but a heap of injuries had kept it in check.
by LuvsFooty
Sat May 16, 2015 10:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Could someone give me some info on the mc cracken cup rounds?

Have heard of the McCracken Cup over the years but what is it actually?
Does anyone know or even care?
Is it a prestigious thing to win?
I have NFI ?

Rounds 1,2 and 7 this year. After those rounds have been completed a ladder is compiled from these 3 round results.

The top 2 sides from this ladder when they play in the 2nd half of the season are playing for the McCracken Cup.

Prize is a day of golf, with booze and food included at Mccracken and is a ripping day for any club lucky enough to win it!
by BJ Ernest
Mon May 25, 2015 10:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

From SportingPulse:
7 R. Barnes18 T. Brown2 D. Camac4 M. Elliott6 B. Ellis24 B. Godwin-Knott1 R. Haverty12 R. Hayes23 P. Hoban5 E. Horrocks16 A. Hunter17 D. Iljcesen13 T. Keeley25 A. Killian11 S. Ogilvie8 C. Perrey10 C. Sharples20 J. Standfield9 H. Tonkin3 M. Tonkin21 T. Vitkunas19 Z. Vitkunas15 E. Williams
by Look Good In Leather
Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

We should have a couple of handy ins for round 9 FOD! ;)
Didn't get there WoW.....were they handy? I was surprised (pleasantly [emoji4]) at the result. Must've found some form!

Nah mate the boys didn't get up for the game. No Allen, Gum or Nick B. Carroll went down in the 3rd i think but take nothing away from Victor. If you guys can hold that group together you're going to eventually have some real success.
by words of wisdom
Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

No brown paper bags, all above board here. Loyal players sticking around. 4 of them are that keen, they have new jobs at the pub bottleshop.
by LuvsFooty
Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Looks Like the top 5 is pretty much set now?
Willunga would be kicking themselves losing to the creeks now two wins behind strath in 5th spot with bays/myponga/victor & compass to play = 6/7 wins (6th spot)
Myponga tough run home mclaren/willunga/strath & victor would have to win all 4 plus a good % boost & rely on strath to win only 1 or 2 more = 5/6 wins (7th spot)
Strath having won 6 of the last 7 games having to play goolwa,mt comp, myponga & yank 1 or 2 wins might be enough for a chance to defend the flag. Hopefully they can get close to fielding there best team when it matters.

Looking at the Reserves having seen Willunga, Creek & Mclaren the last few weeks im picking a Willunga V Creeks Gf. Willunga have been miles ahead of the rest this year remaining unbeaten. Before last weeks round they averaged 111 pts for & 31pts against with a 80 pt winning margin & had kicked 521 pts more than second. Big favouries for the flag but we all know upsets can happen on the big stage.
by kickittome
Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HFL Division 1 (Central)

Yes - apparently a bit of in team fighting due to certain players not using certain players when they were free to receive the football.
This is obviously 2nd hand info but I have heard it from a couple of people involved at TV that egos played a major part in the side.
TV are a very good side without the Ellis boys from what I saw last Saturday and will give Hahndorf a really good match.
It was also noticeable that TV were prepared to utilise any player that was open and in a better position during the first final and played some damn good footy - led by O'Sullivan who was outstanding.
by Legs Man
Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

field of dreams wrote:That's a big comeback JJ!!

Did strath hold on against bays anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They would have. Up by about 5 goals with only junk time to play.
by DoublebluTiger
Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

They are 4-0 in the midday A's Red Devil, things are going to script i imagine
by Animus
Mon May 02, 2016 5:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Round 5 winners:

Compass over Ebay @ Compass
Strath over McLaren Vale @ Strath
Willunga over Victor @ Victor
Yank over Pies @ Yank
Creek over Mudlarks @ the creek

2 out of 5 not totally unexpected as apart from Strath over McLaren the other 4 games could have gone either way with no surprise as most of them did.

In the night game at the Creek last night played under PERFECT conditions with not a drop of the forecast rain in sight, Creeks burst out of the blocks and dominated the 1st 7 - 8 minutes to put 2 - 2 on the board to nothing. From that point on until half time, Myponga / Sellicks completely dominated the game to kick the next 8 - 5 without the Creeks looking like scoring. Pongy looked very sharp and precise with their movement of the ball with plenty of run and support whilst the Hawks just couldnt get their hands on the ball and as a consequence were forever chasing jumpers and when they did get the ball were put under enormous pressure resulting in many turnovers.
With the game all but over at half time, Creeks being 9 goals down, they at least showed some of their earlier season form and ran the game out hard to outscore the Mudlarks by a few goals in the 2nd half. Myp 17 -11 Def Creeks 10 - 10
by jackpot jim
Sun May 08, 2016 11:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

McLaren cant take a trick and look destined for the spoon.
Leading by 33 points early in the last quarter and looking all over a winner, the Creeks burst to life slamming on 6 - 2 to Nil from that point on to grab a 5 point win in the last minute of the game.

Willunga and Bays having a DRAW has enabled Strath to leap frog into 2nd spot

Goolwa easily over Victor?

GSFL really is full of surprises week in week out.
by jackpot jim
Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Antman wrote:Brokey rested ???

ye he got a bit scared didn't want to get belted heard a few pongy boys were lining him up during the week and by the looks of it he didn't have the bite to go with the bark...
by Old man river
Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HFL Division 1 (Central)

i remember worts as a silky smooth moving wingman is this a playing coach role? will jezz continue as a player?

Haa haa Worts would have to be late 50's - I think he's played over 450 games including C grade games.
Will be a tough gig for him, not sure like many clubs in hills, how there junior no's are, is he swaying a few Bays boys to head out with him??

wasn't with Glenelg this season. He was an assistant at Walkerville I believe.

Not sure why you think it will be a tough gig! Lobethal has quality and talent and are a very young side they just can't crack it, maybe he is the man to do it. As for juniors, Lobethal juniors numbers are very good. Jezza made a point of promoting our young lads into the senior ranks and it is a legacy he will leave behind and he should be very proud of. As for recruits I have no idea and have heard nothing about any Bays boys coming.
by always there
Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Salary Cap Investigations

From what I'm hearing there will a number of quality players leaving SAAFL this year searching for a sensible remuneration for the time and effort they put. Seems impossible to believe in 2017 that CPI has gone backwards. I would have thought a slight increase each year would be the norm. Players who have been given a talent and not being able to benefit from it. The last report I heard was that the Vic Country AFL have set salary caps at a much higher level.
So it probably fair to say that the inclusion of teams into the SAAFL is a sign that the APPS and Salary Cap are working well for them at the expense of all other country football teams but if their blue chip players start leaving it may have the reverse effect.
by sponsor
Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Salary Cap Investigations

When that fisherman spending 200k on his boat results in the guy in his tinny not being able to enjoy his weekend with the reels, then it would be apt. That's what everyone misses. Amateur football is a network. We're all interconnected. You cannot have some clubs paying huge money and not have it affect other clubs that can't.

Your right, the 200k a year fisherman doesn't stop the bloke in his tinny.

However, equally, inflating the price of a marlin doesn't stop you standing on the jetty and catching a squid or two.
To say D1 or country clubs inflating the price of the top end players prevents D7 mitchell park from enjoying their weekend is a load of trollop! You're never going to catch a marlin so don't stop those than can and want to catch one from doing so!

As for protecting the clubs from harming themselves, that's just modern society isn't it. Previously we allowed the stupid to remove themselves from the gene pool, now we put a fence around the pool and have a WHS form for everyone to fill out.
by Trader
Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

field of dreams wrote:http://www.victorharbortimes.com.au/story/4557329/how-good-are-the-hawks/?cs=1663

The Times on the money with Creeks upsetting Compass albeit was by 11 points not 7 points. :D
by jackpot jim
Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yes I meant the Junior Colts ('JC" ;) ). Though VH JC may have thought that before Saturday too. At least they scored 20 points against them when the other 6 oppositions had only managed 12 combined! Hope Creek put up some competition.

Willunga 13 - 11
Creek 2 - 0

Hope the Willunga lads enjoy their remaining 12 Saturday morning training runs.
Not their fault they're so dominant. Just not ideal but what's the answer?
by jackpot jim
Sat May 27, 2017 12:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I missed the game JJ, interested in your thoughts?

Was a cracking game of contested footy.
Low scoring 1st half as both teams struggled to break free into space.
Victor flew out of the blocks at start of 3rd quarter with 3 quick goals which i thought might break the Creeks spirit but not to be denied they hung in there and kept answering the challenge.
A lot more free flowing 3rd term saw the scores tied up at 3/4 time.
Game was in the balance with about 10 minutes to go when the Creeks with maybe a little more composure were able to get on top and kick the last 3 goals to record undoubtedly their best win for the season.
Alleway threatened all day for Victor with 4 goals but the Creek overcame that by limiting his supply.
Young Creek ruckman Naylon did a fantastic job for the Hawks with many taps to advantage for them to have the better of the clearances for the day which have been the Creeks downfall in the last year or 2 in the absence of a specialist ruckman.

Umpiring - Generally think the umpiring is reasonably good in the GSFL. All players ask for is consistency. Yesterdays game i have NEVER seen so many frees paid for THROWING in a game before.
They were RED HOT on this to the point where players were almost hesitant to take the ball among opposition players as it seemed even without prior opportunity, if tackled and the ball was knocked from your possession you were pinned with throwing or incorrect disposal. Several very tough calls either way tested players temperament.
This didnt affect the result of the game and they were pretty consistent with this so players adjusted as the game went on.
This was more of an observation rather than a criticism but next match with different umpires im sure it will be a lot more relaxed.
I guess the moral of it all is that players need to quickly work umpires styles out early in a game and adjust accordingly.

Half way mark of the season and it has certainly been one of the most fascinating for many seasons.
Many teams not where many thought they would be on the table can only be healthy for the comp.
Having said that, there's no reason to expect the 2nd half of the season not to even more surprises.
Willunga one would think should finish Top
Yank are looking good for Top 3
Creeks currently 3rd have exceeded all expectations so far this season but are gonna have to keep surprising to stay there. I think they will be in a race for 4th / 5th spot with Goolwa / Pt Elliot and Victor
Mt Compass have had a slow start but are building and one would think they should do enough to finish Top 3. There huge % would suggest that
Victor along with Goolwa / Pt Elliot are certainly finals contenders and are in the mix with the Creeks for 4th / 5th spot i feel.
E Bay - 7th with 3 wins face a huge task to make up the leeway to make the 5. Guess they shouldn't be completely ruled out but ........
Myp / Sellicks, Strath (surprisingly) and McLaren all seem to be out of the running barring a miracle tho all i feel will shape the finals makeup with some upsets in the 2nd half of the season.
by jackpot jim
Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Congrats to Wack Hutch 250 games.

Feck Me is there any club in Australia that has had more games played than the Hutchinson family have at Pongy? Baz, Bucky, 'Pie, Tex, Ritchie, Wal, Tilt, Wack, James...
by am Bays
Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

4 rounds to go and i'm tipping the 5 is set after yesterdays results.
Creeks eliminated the Bays finals chances by thumping them yesterday and should seal their return to finals action for the 1st time since 2014 by defeating Myp/Sellicks next week
Bays wont win another game for the season, kept trying hard all day yesterday but are too undermanned it seems allowing Creeks to kick too many easy goals
Victor are the team that could kick Goolwa/PE out of 5th spot and they get their chance to do that this week
Given their respective draws for the last 4 rounds, a Victor loss should see them out of the race and even if they do win, i'd still favour G/PE to regain 5th with the easier draw they have.
Strath with their upset win over Willunga yesterday are still mathematically a chance to grab 5th and should at least win their next 3 games and finish with Yank which they'd be every chance to beat now they have got some of their quality players back. That would give them 18 points which 50% of the time is enough to play finals but maybe not this year as i can see both Creeks and G/PE finishing with 19 points at least.
Only possible change to the Top 3 is Compass grabbing top off Willunga. For that to happen, Compass need to win their last 4 matches which they would be likely to do if they start with beating Willunga this week. Then they would need to bank on Willunga dropping another game, Against the Creek at the Creek a possibility.
Tipping the table after Round 18 may look like this
1/ Willunga
2/ Mt Compass
3/ Yank
4/ G/PE
5/ L Ck
6/ VH
7/ Strath
8/ E Bay
9/ Myp/Sellicks
10/ McLaren
by jackpot jim
Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Creek beat Willunga
Victor beat Compass
The game at McLarens was a ripper
Strath and Pongy decided by less than a goal

Seriously, how good is the GSFL??

Next week's games are rippers too

Strath v Yank
GPE v Compass
Vh v the creek will all shape finals
by am Bays
Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Creek beat Willunga
Victor beat Compass
The game at McLarens was a ripper
Strath and Pongy decided by less than a goal

Seriously, how good is the GSFL??

Next week's games are rippers too

Strath v Yank
GPE v Compass
Vh v the creek will all shape finals Something i bet the SFL is envious of [emoji108][emoji108]

Wow Weeeeeee
What a round of results!
4th beats top
3rd beats bottom by a goal
6th beats 2nd
5th beats 8th just
7th who recently easily beat top beats 9th by 4 points

Just when i was predicting with confidence what the final 5 would be in order, it has been thrown into chaos after todays results
And after the season we've had, we shouldn't be surprised.
Willunga, Compass and Yank who have held the top 3 spots for the 2nd half of the season are all spluttering into the finals.

Willunga WILL finish Top
Yank currently 2nd could finish 4th if they lose to Strath and Creek beat Victor and Compass beat Goolwa?PE
Creeks 3rd (WOW ! Who saw that coming, won last 6 in a row) Will keep the double chance if they beat Victor and can finish 2nd 3rd or 4th depending on results
Compass who have the BEST % are 4th believe it or not and are now reliant on other results to get the double chance
Golwa?PE 5th need to beat Compass to ensure 5th spot or run the risk of missing out if Victor beat the Creek.
Strath are the other form team of the comp in the last 5 weeks but cant make it but can spoils Yanks party tho

One of the most even topsy turvy seasons ever in GSFL with basically 3 finals next week of vital importance b4 the finals even begin.

Willunga must still be in the box seat tho as finishing top under the final 5 system is huge even tho a fair % of minor premiers have failed to win the flag over the years.

More than ever, teams that have the ability to field close to their full side during the finals will go a long way as it seems injuries and absentees have had a major influence on results this year.
Credit to the Creeks on their season so far, coming from 9th last year with not a lot different side to then but have been fortunate to meet many teams when they have been vulnerable with players missing but have been good enough to take advantage of it. Dont think they can win the flag but the way this season has gone, NOTHING should surprise anyone. :shock:

I think a lot of country leagues would love to have the evenness of the GSFL atm.

Having said that , Willunga are a fair chance to win ALL 4 Flags and people may have reason to think otherwise.
by jackpot jim
Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bays over creek
McLaren over Goolwa
Compass over Pongy
Victor over Strath
Willunga over yank

LogoGreat Southern Football League SA
GSFL Home
2018 Programs
Fixtures/Results
▼ More Menus
GSFL General Info
Assoc / Zone
GSFL History
SuperJets
Girls F/Ball
More ▼
Great Southern Football League SA > A Grade 2018

MATCH PROGRAMME
RESULTS
PREMIERSHIP LADDER
SEASON STATS
PREDICT
MORE

Sat May 12 2018

Langhorne Creek
12.9-81
FINAL
10.9-69
Encounter Bay

2:30 PM LANGHORNE CK (MAP) MATCH CENTRE

McLaren
34.19-223
FINAL
1.1-7
Goolwa Magpies

2:30 PM MCLAREN VALE (MAP) MATCH CENTRE

Mt Compass
12.17-89
FINAL
5.8-38
Myponga - Sellicks

2:30 PM MT COMPASS (MAP) MATCH CENTRE

Victor Harbor
19.17-131
FINAL
10.6-66
Strathalbyn

2:30 PM VICTOR HARBOR (MAP) MATCH CENTRE

Willunga
29.13-187
FINAL
1.3-9
Yankalilla

2:30 PM WILLUNGA (MAP) MATCH CENTRE
Last Uploaded : Sun 13-May-2018 10:02:48

No real shock results in terms of winners BUT some of the MARGINS certainly were :shock:

The GSFL have prided itself on being a very even comp the last decade with very few real blowout results
Certainly has to be concerning in regards to the Goolwa/PE and Yank both receiving a Schelacking :(

After a close 1st 3 terms, Mt Compass flexed their muscle with a big last term to ensure they stay in touch for a Top 3 spot.

In a powerful 2nd half performance, Victor surprisingly ran out easy winners over Strath by 65 points which could have been more considering the 36 scoring shots to 16
Where are Strath at?
Hard to line form up
Creeks beat Victor
Strath HAMMER Creeks
Victor HAMMER Strath

Creeks got over E Bay in a cliffhanger at the Creek
Close hard fought contest all match with 13 points the biggest margin all day
Bays kicked 1st 2 goals of last term to go 13 up and looked to have the momentum but Creeks showed some real grit to fight back and kick the last 4 goals to win and keep in touch with the Top 5
by jackpot jim
Sun May 13, 2018 1:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

44.44% of the way through the Minor Rounds
Table
McLaren 14
Willunga 12
Creek 12
Compass 10
E Bay 10
Victor 8
Myp/Sell 8
Strath 4
Yank 2
Gool/PE 0

This weeks Big games
Creek v McLaren - Huge game for both. McLaren the real surprise packet this season will be looking to consolidate Top spot. Creeks surprised last year by finishing the Minor round 2nd after a few lean years and have probably surprised again this year to date. Have beaten Top sides in Will, Compass, Bays and Victor whilst comfortably losing to lower teams in Myp/ Sell and Strath.
Creeks still rely too much upon their top end players and much will depend on the availability of them. Have supplied 3 or 4 for todays Association match v Southern. Also have lost Blackwell for rest of season having gone to the US for 3 months and new recruit Earl with a broken hand a few weeks back

Compass v Victor - Compass's Premiership defense has been spluttering along so far and a loss would leave them with not a lot of room for error in the 2nd half of the season to finish in a coveted Top 3 spot.
Whilst Victor really need a win to keep them in the mix for a Finals spot. They've certainly show they can match it with the top teams BUT its banking the wins that get you into Finals not just being competitive with honorable losses.

Bays v Gool/PE - Tho Gool/PE have been more competitive in recent weeks, Bays should register a comfortable win here to complete a solid 6 - 3 record and a spot in the Top 5 at the half way mark

Will v Myp/Sell - Willunga will be faves here to win and firmly consolidate a Top 3 spot with a 7 - 2 record. Myp/Sell have shown glimpses of matching it against the higher ranked teams but havent been able to match them for 4 quarters. With a full team theyre dangerous but that doesnt seem to be happening on a regular occurrence. A loss here makes its very tough to see them being a part of finals action.

Yank v Strath - Strath wernt talked up as a Finals contender this year but certainly would have expected to be better than a 2 - 6 record shows. Their 2 wins were over G/PE and the Creeks surprisingly who they actually belted but havent been able to bring that intensity for 4 quarters against the Higher rated teams. Strath should chalk up their 3rd win and mathematically keep themselves in the race but in reality both these teams will be playing for pride in the 2nd half of the season

Regardless of results in Rd 9 the Top 5 will stay the same 5 teams.
Will these same 5 still be there come Round 18? I'm predicting Yes with Victor the only likely chance to sneak in but they need to start winning the Big games
by jackpot jim
Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

With several slightly surprising results from Round 9 (The margins being the surprise more than anything) the Ladder at the half way mark of the season probably sees the Premiership race as open as its been for many a year and ensures there will be at least several crucial matches every weekend right up to the Finals.
FWIW i think the current Top 5 will remain as is until the Finals start and its perfectly feasible that ALL those 5 teams could take turns in being considered Premiership favorites along the way.
McLaren have had 2 resounding reality checks in the past 3 matches after having a dream start to the season but still remain in Pole position for a vital Top 3 finish
Any doubts about Langhorne Creek being a genuine contender were dispelled on the weekend with a comprehensive victory over Mclaren to sit 2nd on the table by % only.
Mt Compass , Willunga and E Bay fill 3rd to 5th spots separated by % only and only 1 win off Top with a 6 & 3 W/L record. All 3 have been a bit inconsistent which they will need to overcome to snare a top 3 spot.
Fair to say that injuries and unavailability have and will have a big say as to teams fortunes as its such a tight comp.
Of the outside "The Five" teams, Myp/Sellicks have kept their season alive with a Big win over Willunga to turn at the half way mark with a commendable 5 & 4 record which most times would see them in the 5 but with Gool/Pe , Yank and a lesser extent Strath failing to win hardly any games, a finals competing mark is higher than usual and as a result sees the Mudlarks still a win and considerable % outside of the Five which will be a tough ask to bridge over the coming 9 weeks tho not impossible.
Victor have certainly been around the mark this season but really needed to beat Compass Saturday to stay in touch but failed badly and being 2 wins and % out of the Five, Finals appear very unlikely this season.
Of the others , Strath whilst they wont be playing Finals still have the ability to shape it as they did in the 2nd half last year. They are dangerous when the have their full compliment as they showed when towelling up the Creeks earlier in the season.
Yank and Goolwa/PE copped some hidings earlier in the season but have showed signs of being more competitive recently and both will hope to continue that trend over the next 9 rounds.
by jackpot jim
Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A couple of Thrillers were the highlight of Round 10 along with a few blowout results

Willunga got over E Bay by 4 points in an expected toss of the coin game.

Victor and Creek had a DRAW After the Creek got out to a 4 goal lead in the 2nd term, Victor certainly looked the better team for the rest of the game but just couldnt put the Hawks away who responded late in the game to draw level. Victor had a chance to win it in the last 10 seconds but the ball slid off the boot just wide of the point post and OOTF.
Victors performance certainly showed they will cause headaches for other teams over the last 8 rounds and tho not the exact result either team were looking for the 1 point for each team could still be crucial come Round 18 although Victor still have a tall order ahead to challenge for the 5

Compass accounted for Gool / PE as expected by 71 points

McLaren responded to their drubbing last week by taking their anger out on Yankalilla to the tune of 139 points to further increase their % which could play a major factor in finishing top

Myp / Sell continued on from where they left off last week to make their intentions clear that they are a serious player for a Finals spot by belting Strath by 69 points.

3 MASSIVE games next week as there will be most weeks which will further shape the Top 5 contenders
Creek v Willunga
Compass v McLaren
Myp/Sell v Victor

Whilst E Bay should account for Strath and Gool/PE and Yank may well both have their last genuine chance for a win this season by playing each other
by jackpot jim
Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

5 Favorites won last week and it should be the same story again this week.
Round 14
Match of the Day E Bay (5th) v L Creek (1st)
Bays have a very tough run home to the finals playing the Top 3 teams although they are all at home. Probably need 3 wins to ensure Finals and with the only guaranteed win being Round 18 v Gool/PE they need to knock off at least one of the Big Guns. Creeks to finish Top may well need to win all their last 5 matches which will be tough as they play MC and McLaren both away. Back to this game tho, Creeks prevailed over the Bays by 12 points in Round 5. Its fair to say the Hawks have improved since then but have the Bays?
Tip - Creeks by 27 points

Myp/Sellicks (7th) v Mt Compass (2nd) Pretty much do or die for the Mudlarks to keep their season alive. Have been around the mark at times during the season and are one of only 2 teams to beat the Creeks so can never be discounted. Compass seem to be getting it together after a patchy start to the season and will be looking for winning form running into the finals. An upset not out of the question but ......
Tip - Compass by 22 points

Yank (9th) v Willunga (4th) - Even with 5 games to go, Willunga look to be a safe bet to finish in 4th spot and should have few problems knocking off the toothless Tigers who have shown glimpses at times but competitive performances have been few and far between.
Tip - Willunga by 53 points

Strath (8th) v Victor (6th) - Victor have been undefeated since copping a pasting by Compass in Round 9 and are charging towards a Finals spot, most likely at the expense of the Bays. Too much at stake for them to drop this one but at same time cant just take it for granted. Strath apart from the Very Good Anzac Day clash win over the Creeks have been very disappointing this season and it would be a surprise to see them upset the Roos who have everything to play for.
Tip - Roos by 38 points

Gool/PE (10th) v McLaren (3rd) - McLaren have made a habit this season on belting up the cellar dweller teams, 216 points the margin last time these 2 teams met. The margin shouldn't be as much this time but will be significant. Another % booster for McLaren which could well decide Top spot after Round 18
Tip - McLaren by 108 points
by jackpot jim
Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Elim Final @ Willuinga
Willunga (4th) v E/ Bay (5th)

Both teams whilst doing enough to make the finals arnt expected to be serious challengers for the flag

Tip- Bays by 3 points which means Willinga will win by 6 goals. :roll:

Qualifying Final @ Myponga
L Creek (2nd) v Mclaren (3rd)

Mclaren got of to a flyer by winning their 1st 6 matches but have been a bit up and down since then
Creeks had a couple of poor performances in rounds 3 & 4 losing comfortably to Non Finalists Strath & Myp/Sellicks but since then have only lost the 1 game that being Round 17 where they were completely outclassed by reigning Premier Mt Compass.
Creeks have beaten McLaren in both encounters this season, the 1st at the Creek where the Hawks obliterated Mclaren in the wet and then accounted for them last week narrowly in a game that not too much can be taken from given that the result was likely to mean little

This week the past means NOTHING

McLaren are expected to have a few additions returning from injury whilst the Hawks have suffered a major blow in losing Sellar with injury from last week and combined with the loss of their Spiritual leader in "Roudy James" with a season ending injury in round 17 the result of this match is anyones guess?

Mclaren have the better record on the ground this year in beating Myp/Sell by 22 points in round 12 whilst the hawks put in an inglorious display going down to the Mudlarks by 23 points in round 4

Tip - Mclaren by 8 points which means the Creeks by 32 :lol:
by jackpot jim
Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Times have announced their 2018 Team of the Year.. looks pretty close to the mark for mine!
F: Sean Beath (Will), Jordan Mutton (McL), Tyson Davis-Neale (EB)
HF: Ziggy Vitkunas (MtC), Tom Pinyon (MtC), Matt Dominish (LC)
C: Curtis Perrey (Capt) (LC), Michael Ross (VH), Billy Cook (Will)
HB: Jake Veide (MtC), Tom Derham (LC), Matthew Merrett (Myp)
B: Rigby Barnes (EB), Matt Ficken (Will), Kiefver Zohar (McL)
R: Peter Hoban (MtC), Jarrod Kellock (LC), Brett Ellis (V/Capt) (McL)
Int: James Sellar (LC), Marc Elliott (Strath), Lachlan Matthews (McL)
Coach: Gianni Petrucci (McLaren)
by limb
Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Gees there's some unhappy compass campers posting up a storm on Facebook. (On Great Southern Sports GF preview).

Entertaining reading to say the least :lol:

I wonder if they will go down the same track as the Eagles and demand compensation for being robbed of playing in another GF? :-({|= =))
by jackpot jim
Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Creeks 'A' Grade Premiers 15 - 11 Def McLaren 10 - 17
McLaren would have been disappointed not to have been up at least a goal or 2 at half time instead of the scores being tied up.
Creeks certainly gave the Eagles the opportunity to establish a lead as the Hawks made plenty of errors with poor ball execution (apart from shots on goal) but McLaren were unable to make the Creeks pay as they butchered too many shots at goal to go in at the long break with an inaccurate 7 - 10 to the Creeks 8 - 4.
2nd half the Creeks tidied up their misuse of the footy resulting in a handy 10 point lead at 3/4 time but with the game still up for grabs especially as the Creeks final quarters in their recent matches had been very ordinary. 1st goal was going to be crucial for the belief of both teams and it was the Creeks drawing 1st blood and then proved for the 4th time this season they have the class edge on the gallant Eagles by extending the lead to 24 points when the final siren sounded.
Credit to BOTH teams for their meteoric rise from cellar dwellers in 2016 where they finished 9th & 10th to playing off in the GF in 2018 :shock:
Also credit to McLarens Gianni Petrucci (coach) and Brett Ellis (Captain) for their genuine congratulatory words to the Creeks playing group after the on field presentation. Certainly respected representatives of the McLaren Footy Club.

Great effort from Creeks young gun Matty Roberts to kick 2 crucial 1st quarter goals to arrest the momentum McLaren had.
Wouldn't be many lads in history that have both a Junior Colt and A Grade Premiership Medal to their name having just turned 15. :YMAPPLAUSE:

When was the last time that NONE of the Minor Premiers across the 4 Grades won the Flag? And also in a rarity the A & B Grade Minor Premiers went out in straight sets.
The GSFL must surely be the envy of other Country Leagues as to the general evenness of the A Grade comp on the basis that it's rare to see a team these days rooted to the bottom of the ladder for more than a year or 2 before rebounding quickly into finals and Premiership contention.

Already intrigued as to what surprises next season will spring upon us? :?

Agree 100% JJ.

Was an exceptional day. Credit to Compass for turning out the ground in excellent condition. Great crowd, great games across all grades and played in great spirit.

GSFL rightfully should be very proud of their competition.

Agree with your comments around Captain and Coaches (McLaren) post match. Very well received from what I've heard.

Now as a proud Hawks supporter obviously couldn't be happier. Great Club, Great Group Of Players and Loyal Supporters. Well done to all involved.

Wanted to just say that I'm aware a couple of lads missed out after playing roles in the lead up matches. Obviously extremely disappointing for them. Its a tough time of the year, there is no next week and you don't get to play in a GF every year but theirs and anyone's contribution over the course of the season should not and I'm sure isn't forgotten. GF's are won by clubs (whole) not individuals, their chance will come as they are quality young lads with good futures. They have every right to bathe in the glory as their contribution played a part in helping LCFC reach the pinnacle.

Well done to all.
by Bull 04
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Creeks 'A' Grade Premiers 15 - 11 Def McLaren 10 - 17
McLaren would have been disappointed not to have been up at least a goal or 2 at half time instead of the scores being tied up.
Creeks certainly gave the Eagles the opportunity to establish a lead as the Hawks made plenty of errors with poor ball execution (apart from shots on goal) but McLaren were unable to make the Creeks pay as they butchered too many shots at goal to go in at the long break with an inaccurate 7 - 10 to the Creeks 8 - 4.
2nd half the Creeks tidied up their misuse of the footy resulting in a handy 10 point lead at 3/4 time but with the game still up for grabs especially as the Creeks final quarters in their recent matches had been very ordinary. 1st goal was going to be crucial for the belief of both teams and it was the Creeks drawing 1st blood and then proved for the 4th time this season they have the class edge on the gallant Eagles by extending the lead to 24 points when the final siren sounded.
Credit to BOTH teams for their meteoric rise from cellar dwellers in 2016 where they finished 9th & 10th to playing off in the GF in 2018 :shock:
Also credit to McLarens Gianni Petrucci (coach) and Brett Ellis (Captain) for their genuine congratulatory words to the Creeks playing group after the on field presentation. Certainly respected representatives of the McLaren Footy Club.

Great effort from Creeks young gun Matty Roberts to kick 2 crucial 1st quarter goals to arrest the momentum McLaren had.
Wouldn't be many lads in history that have both a Junior Colt and A Grade Premiership Medal to their name having just turned 15. :YMAPPLAUSE:

When was the last time that NONE of the Minor Premiers across the 4 Grades won the Flag? And also in a rarity the A & B Grade Minor Premiers went out in straight sets.
The GSFL must surely be the envy of other Country Leagues as to the general evenness of the A Grade comp on the basis that it's rare to see a team these days rooted to the bottom of the ladder for more than a year or 2 before rebounding quickly into finals and Premiership contention.

Already intrigued as to what surprises next season will spring upon us? :?
by jackpot jim
Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Jarrod Kellock received Langhorne Creeks "Ken Follett Medal" last night to add to his other 5.
In fact Kellock has now won 8 B&Fs in succession. L Creek 2011-14, Mannum 2015-16, L Creek 2017-18.
Quite a remarkable feat.
After tying with Tom Derham last year, Kellock came out on top this year narrowly from Sellar and Derham finishing 2nd and 3rd respectively.
by jackpot jim
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Codey Ellison back to McLaren. Good for the Eagles to get a junior back. Should have played more league at South. Gun.

What junior grades and games did Ellison play at Mclaren ?

None.played mini leaugue at Morphett Vale then went to basketball.
Got cleared from Morphett Vale to Reynella as a senior.

Untrue might have played Minis at Morphies but played 2-3 years of Junior Colts at McLaren. Even played in a Junior Colt flag
by Luke15
Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Updated.

GSFL PLAYER MOVEMENT 2018/19

*if something is not true/correct please message the page so it can be amended or to add a player movement.

ENCOUNTER BAY
In: Tyler Baldock & Daniel Toole (Kadina).
Out: Rigby Barnes (Jervois), Charlie Sharples (Broadview), Ben Davis (Nairne-Bremer),

GOOLWA/PORT ELLIOT
In: Ryan Griffen (Western Bulldogs, GWS, South Adelaide), Brad Helbig (Richmond, West Adelaide), Ryan Sutter (Geelong, Cove), Kyle Stoldt (Cove), Matt Wiese (returns from the Navy, WAFL), Todd Marsh (Westminster OC).
Out: Matt Harper, Sam Casey.

LANGHORNE CREEK
In: Ryan Haylock (SMOSH/West Lakes)
Out: Lachlan Earl (Tanunda), Darcy Clifford.

MCLAREN
In: Shaun Halliday, Billy Gregory ( Reynella ), Sam Whitbread ( Reynella ), Max Wakefield, Codey Ellison ( Reynella ).
Out: Steve Kahl (retired).

MOUNT COMPASS
In: Adam Hunter (South Adelaide), Dwayne Ruddock (Happy Valley), Shane Heatley.
Out: Jake Veide (Port Noarlunga), Stuart Hill.

MYPONGA/SELLICKS
In: Simon Phillips (Sydney, Port Adelaide, Norwood), Tyler Harman, Wayne Deacon (Coach), Tate Colman.
Out: Josh Miller, Brad Merrett, Matt Merrett, Scott Carpenter.

STRATHALBYN
In: Ben Simounds (returns from Keith), Tom McNamara (Melbourne), Ethan Bell, Sam Luckett, Ben Haseldine (West Whyalla).
Out: Sam George.

VICTOR HARBOR
In: Ben Yeomans, Brock Schubert, Kurt Linder, James Bramley, Ryan Jeffries, Jordan Bohnsack, Jack Lang, Jack Manning, Henry McKay.
Out: Bradley Borrillo, Doug Proud, Matt Kruger.

WILLUNGA
In: Mitch Portlock (Coach - returns from Reynella), Scott Hunt, Daniel Lee (Christies Beach), Jack Burns, Job Colwell (returns from South), Alex Coombe.
Out: Aidan Stewart-England.

YANKALILLA
In: Luke Durdin, Xavier Gotch, Jono Lee (Kadina), Zac Edwards (Kadina), Joey Tyllis (South Adelaide), Connor Melloww (back from injury), Tom Bennett (back from work), Kane Hockley.
Out: Josh Barrass, Luke Bartlett.

Anyone else to add to the list of movement?

WOW !! that is a fair fisting to former club...or were they all juniors at McLaren :roll:

Yes that is a fair fisting.
Where do these new age coaches get of raping and pillaging former clubs.
Iljcesen did it to Morphett Vale. Bring theses players into your club and this is how they repay you.
There used to a unwritten law that coaches didn't do that.
Shame on Gianni and Iljcesen if thay think this is alright. Very selfish.

How many points do the GSFL teams get?
Some of these clubs have 8/9 recruits.
is there a salary cap?

McLaren’s ‘ins’

Codey Ellison - McLaren Junior 0 points
Sam Whitbread - McLaren Junior 0 points
Eyre White - only managed to play reserves at Reynella
Shaun Halliday - only managed to play reserves at Reynella
Billy Gregory - Morphett Vale Junior
Chris Bradwell - second year on McLarens list so would be a 2 point player I believe
Max Wakefield - unsure of his background

McLaren have averaged five minor round wins over the past three seasons.

I expect their Reserves to be very good this year with some of these ‘ins’ to play to spend some time in the Magoos.
by damian
Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If it’s Max Wakefield you’re talking about, the bloke can play!!! Freaky forward, can go
In to the middle if needed, bit of an enigma.
by Toto
Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Do Compass rely heavily on recruits in A grade? Rest of their grades results are very poor.

I think all clubs in the Great Southern rely on recruits.

Understand that however Compass seems to have a huge gap between A grade and their other grades.
Last two seasons their reserves have finished the minor round in second. Played Willunga first round here who are arguably the yardstick for all grades outside of A, so cant read into these results too much yet There are a number of other clubs in the league who struggle with their lower grades.

The GSFL is not immune to what has happened in other country footy leagues. We have seen in recent times the likes of Yank, Pongy, Compass and Creeks, struggle with junior numbers. Even Strath has struggled !!.

The townships of Willunga, McLarens, Goolwa, Victor and some what the Bays (although they clash with Victor for numbers) have the population base.

Correct me if im wrong but the Bays junior or senior colts team won a flag in 2018 with the assistance of juniors from Yank or Pongy. I apologise if this isnt correct.

The league is lucky it is geographically close to Adelaide otherwise clubs would fold / merge.

So yes .... clubs need recruits to bolster their team. Ive looked at the Compass list their core players are actually very good local footballers.

I am sure if u look over previous premeirship teams u would find the same has occured.
by ball breaker
Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

4 Rounds down and Mount Compass are the only undefeated team and it would be a brave person to tip that they wont remain there for the rest of the season. Who a potential challenger may be is anyones guess?
Gonna be a very tight race for not only a vital double chance 2nd or 3rd spot but also for a Top 5 spot and luck in winning the close games against teams around the same mark will be vital in determining that.
3 very close results Saturday with last years Grand Finalists McLaren and Creeks along with the Bays all going down in tight finishes,.

Yank after leading the Creeks all day and never really looked like losing did a great escape after the Creeks grinded their way to the lead with about 2 minutes to go by dominating play in the last quarter . Yank managed to get the important centre clearance after the Creek goal and received a 50/50 free in the marking contest in front of goal to take the lead back and hang on for the last minute. Creeks really struggled for a lack of height around the ground with Sellar not playing due to work commitments. Can see both teams vying for 4th or 5th spot but as with every team, injuries / availability of players etc to field close to full strength teams will be vital for their finals chances.
by jackpot jim
Mon May 06, 2019 12:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |