Search found 29 matches

Return

Re: Southern Football League

Not sure of the accuracy of this, but did hear that Cranston was staying at the Roos for another year.

As for J.Eagleton, pretty sure he's still a Viking and is training as usual.
by afc9798
Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

HV played Christies U18s in a trial game Saturday - apparently there were some Christies people talking their team up as potential premiers before the game. HV won by 10 goals.

Mr Footy,

It's March mate!
"Its a marathon not a sprint" some bloke said that once and think he went all right as a coach..... 8) !
Thanks to CBFC for the opportunity.
Good "TRIAL" game played in the right spirit, ol Bice oval was a peach too, in great nick.

LGIL,
I Didn't stick around for the A's how did the scores end up?
How did the big PEZ dispenser Perrie and Welshy go for Padathway?
by jet-airport
Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I wouldn't write the bombers off just yet Mister Footy... The right team on the park on the right day, and anything can happen, that is the exciting thing about having such a young squad..yet to put a full side on the park all year, but edging closer as the season gets closer. Without dwelling on the past too much, but it does hurt missing your skipper for 6 weeks... I would say the boys should get up comfortably this weekend, but will still likely play MV in an elim final, which will be a great match. It is exciting that the final 8 are all so even, there will be a few upsets I believe, but I still remain that the shoes are the in form team, and the ones to beat.
by mrp2626
Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

marbles wrote:why would they lose juniors? marion edwardstown lonsdale could join msjfl?

Why leave a strong junior comp to go to a weak one? Only marbles could think that up...
by Dutchy
Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Great game of local footy at Flaggies today. Saints lead most of the game then fell behind before finally getting up by 3 points. Good crowd, good atmosphere, close game, tough and hard with plenty of mistakes caused by the pressure and a swirling wind, kept the crowd on their toes. Also a pat on the back for the umps who did a good job in the conditions and whilst both supporter groups could point to individual decisions it was pretty even across the board. A bloody good day at the footy!!!!!!
by King
Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Great lead up to finals for Vikings 18s - forfeit from Morphettville Park last week and now Edwardstown this week.
by Front & Centre
Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

ok so seeing i have your attention and u are now showing some form of rational friendly response, what pros and cons would u provide to a proposal that the sfl move to a 10 team division & the remaining struggling bottom sides move to the saafls division 7
educate my ignorance rather than insult it and list to me the benefits and the disadvantages of such a move which at first seems radical, but if was to go ahead people would still wake up the next day and get on with their lives as if it was the new norm

can u tell me one point to why its outrageous but also give me one reason why it would be excellent
Can you provide an argument why the 5 southernmost struggling SAAFL clubs should not shift to an SFL div 2 rather than get lost in the unwieldy SAAFL?

well yeah of course i can. and i wont answer a questiin with another question

firstly the sfl has no div 2. your hierarchy believe an equal comp for lower sides is not equitable

secondly a div 7 for your no chance bottom sides, will actually instantly provide hope of playing finals, instead of getting smashed for another 5 years. finals bring smiling faces, smiling faces bring revenue, revenue brings growth, success good times and joy

compare these experiences, for your paying customers (footballers), to another 5 years of misery, pain suffering all to still be a struggling club, when by this time u could possibly have risen to division 4 if u really are as good as you claim to be

What smiling faces and revenue are you talking about?
Without meaning to be discriminatory, when Christies play some of the traditional SFL type clubs of Port Noarlunga, Noarlunga, Morphett Vale, Reynella,Happy Valley Etc. there are good crowds with a good atmosphere and presumably good takings at the bar canteen etc.

When playing teams "down the hill" at home or away our supporters out number theirs 5-1 regardless of success. we played Edwardstown and Brighton away to a handful of opposition supporters. even when they were towards the top of the ladder.
These handful of supporters will remain regardless, but if a team is successful in the SFL and are not attracting people to the games with a full day of footy with juniors, how would a move to div 7 attract more people and revenue?
by Blaze of Glory
Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Interesting weekend of footy coming up.. Having a look on sportsbet I see you can bet on community leagues in Victoria would love to have a crack here would be dropping a couple of dollars on the Bombers as a smokey. (yes DTH is hurts to say it)
by vics01
Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

vics01 wrote:SB

I reckon the shoes will win with the most points..

Vics 01 I like you but you are more educated than that.

We played with less points than many in the SFL and you know it.
Don't criticise a club that plays within the rules outlined and has worked its arse off.
by shoe boy
Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A grade coaching vacancies 2015

Who's this imposter. There's only room for one Mister Footy on this forum. Interesting to hear the views of the other Mr Footy on the HV appointment. Interesting that the SFL is losing coaches to mid to low grade SAAFL clubs. Is the expectation and commitment of being a "club coach" at clubs with as many as 8 senior/junior teams plus Minis becoming too daunting for some current or prospective coaches.
by Down the Hill
Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

NPG shopping himself around the SFL looking for the best money and has landed at the emus. Waiting for all those emus supporters to give me a rocket for daring to suggest they pay players huge fees (or is that just TVs?) but I can tell you categorically that this player did not come to your club cheaply
by Front & Centre
Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Look Good In Leather wrote:
"At age six he was turned away from the Morphett Vale Football Club because he was considered too small to play in its under-8s team."

This would be because 6 year olds are not allowed to play Under 8's
by Dutchy
Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

No doubt NPG is going to MV to play under BC. If HV had been able to secure BC for 2015 then NPG would likely be wearing the big V next year.
Thanks for the expected rocket Snappa. Not going to quote a $ amount but it would be a significant - I know the amount he was asking for to return to HV
I would estimate he would be earning more than most MV players and for a club whose hierarchy has preached over the years that they "dont pay players" I think you just made an exception.
by Front & Centre
Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Vikings 2015 looks like it will be very different to Vikings 2014 - few big losses however one who had left has already returned and some new recruits look pretty good. Couple of these former HV juniors so good to see them come home. Coach is also gaining alot of respect for his professionalism
One former player has been poached over to the bushpigs but reckon it wont be hard to put him off his game . Cant wait for round 1

Sounds intriguing
by Look Good In Leather
Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Vikings 2015 looks like it will be very different to Vikings 2014 - few big losses however one who had left has already returned and some new recruits look pretty good. Couple of these former HV juniors so good to see them come home. Coach is also gaining alot of respect for his professionalism
One former player has been poached over to the bushpigs but reckon it wont be hard to put him off his game. Cant wait for round 1
by Front & Centre
Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well, well , well word on the ol facebook grapevine is another "star quality player" set to leave SFL!! Unbelievable! Great player and if true will be a Huge void to fill, his ex club needs to have a good hard look at themselves.
Huge breaking news, great contribution to this forum, you should be commended...

Give us a name or it's rubbish
by Look Good In Leather
Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Big night obviously at HV. Coach wasn't right for the club and decision made to part ways now rather than end of the season. Not decision taken lightly by committee but right outcome for the club.
Now search commences for replacement. Names being thrown around include Chopper Taylor, Trevor Potts, Nathan Eagleton, Steve Wallace, Bomber Spinks, Dave Couch, Shane Sinclair.
Easy for names to be thrown around but some of these names either wouldn't be available or prepared to take it on.
Maybe you could RAFFLE the job off ?
by Oldman Munga
Fri May 08, 2015 8:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I tried to buy you one Vic's but the girl behind the bar said their responsible service of alcohol policy didn't allow them to supply you with another drink.
by Down the Hill
Wed May 13, 2015 8:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Looking at next Saturday's draw, the game of the round looks like being Happy Valley v Marion.
by spot on
Sun May 10, 2015 11:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yep lets get the footy to do the talking

Good to hear there is already quality prospects showing interest in job

Unfortunately footy didn't do the talking MF.
One might call into question benefit of terminating coach just before last training session before selections. Combined with the media circus from Advertiser article it was far from ideal preparation for a game of footy.
I have heard that same group of people that appointed Keam on selection panel for next coach although one of these is apparently going away and switching his phone off for a week. Does this mean process will take longer? Hope that doesn't affect the quality prospects you have heard about
by Front & Centre
Mon May 11, 2015 12:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This Happy Valley saga is the gift that keeps giving. The previous post is from someone with an allegiance to Sturt, Hawthorn and CLG. Now who could that be.
by Down the Hill
Mon May 11, 2015 11:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Dutchy wrote:Senior Coach of the Year - Ben Coleman - Morphett Vale

Should command a good price at Happy Valley then, being the best coach in the League
by Look Good In Leather
Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Down the Hill wrote:"3 years of u/16 and u/18 coaching - getting HVFC to the GF each year!."

And still having nightmares about running into Brighton each time :D

...and never got torn apart

by Look Good In Leather
Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

"3 years of u/16 and u/18 coaching - getting HVFC to the GF each year!."

And still having nightmares about running into Brighton each time :D
by Down the Hill
Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Interesting LGIL. If we were that keen to go we would have been the first to join not the last, something you already know. When all the other clubs around us joined up we had no choice. Imagine if C/Beach juniors played in the GSFL when all the clubs around you played in the SFL. What do you think would happen. You wouldn't survive. That's what it would have been like for us. It's about making sure you can keep the doors open and playing in a comp that suits your players and there parents. Only time will tell if the SANFL comp is a success, that will give us something to talk about later.

Edwardstown did have a C grade and an U18's, nice contribution. I'm sure we still had more teams in the SFL than they did. So maybe we have contributed a little more than you think. Also we didn't ask to have other junior games played on our oval in front of our seniors. Happy to help other clubs keep there teams together, but if you think that we are going to make so much more money by hosting 2 U14 and 2 U16 games you are sadly mistaken. Our volunteers will be there to set up the oval clean out the change rooms and give you something to eat and drink if you want. Maybe a Thank you Would have been better than bagging us.

I understand the argument that Marion and Brighton forced your hand, but I don't completely buy it. You had the opportunity to be the point of difference in the area, for the past 29 years you have avoided playing in the parklands competitions and remained in the SFL whilst your neighbours were playing in SAAFL/SAFA/MSJFL etc and you have never been "forced" to go. You and Marion were the only clubs in the SFL north of Majors Road for 4 years and during that time you won an A-Grade premiership, Marion were extremely strong and your juniors grew during that period to become very competitive by the time Mitchell Park joined and then Brighton joined.

I have heard people saying that losing Morphettville Park and Brighton is positive for the Sunday comp - that is fine except we have lost the U/16 comp and now have to deal with the clusterf**k that is the Reynella White situation with wanting games on Sundays and yet again dragging our clubs apart.

I am angry at what is happening to our league, it is in the process of collapsing yet no one seems to care. We need to consolidate it back to communities playing against communities, whole clubs playing together against other whole clubs - that is what our league is based around and why we are not just the 8th division of the parklands league. In 1987 our league gave your club a lifeline when the Southern Metro league folded, now we have the SANFL trying to divide and conquer us and you have taken the bait rather than holding out and allowing us to have greater bargaining power. When you needed a Sunday option to suit your demographic, it was provided, yet at the first opportunity it has been thrown in our face . I am struggling to see a future for the SFL beyond the next five years in its current format. Unless we can recover and retain our clubs as a united unit rather than the soulless senior/junior split you get in town then there is no real point to us remaining a separate competition.

I am not bagging you, you just have completely different requirements to the majority of clubs in the SFL, and it is having a detrimental affect on the league. We are not a standalone senior competion, that is a different league, if Morphettville Park and Marion need to be collateral damage to salvage our league, then it is time for the SFL clubs to look after their self-interest, just like you have done with your juniors.

The example you used above if CBs juniors were playing in the GSFL, the key with that is that they would be playing with our seniors and our club could be one - I am hoping that does not need to be the solution and that we can have that in the SFL.
by Look Good In Leather
Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The HV U18s would be a better chance Saturday if they didn't have four of their best 22 (top ten really) not qualified to play finals. Poor management by the Club, writing was on the wall all year that the 18s would be going deep into finals whilst the senior sides wouldn't be.

Actually BFD up until the second to last round A grade could have made finals and would have had some injured players back to assist the finals campaign. Our big losses were without key players who would have been available.
BC has done a better job of promoting juniors than previous A grade coaches sometimes out of necessity. We also now have an 18s coach who doesn't think it is all about him. Getting game time in young lads sets us up for a good 2017.
An 18s flag would be magnificent but getting to the GF despite this season is a credit to the squad. Anyone who saw the game against Reynella knows how well this team can play.
by Front & Centre
Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Surely someone coming out of the SANFL U/18 system would be able to get at least a B-Grade game

The SANFL has not declined quite that far yet

Had plenty of times last year where we had SANFL Under 18s return (either not selected that week, had the bye, returning from injury etc) and don't reckon they ever even came up for selection in our senior sides.

Maybe at some of the lower clubs they would certainly be useful, but if they are that good then either the SANFL Club will not be dropping them or when they have the bye they won't be allowed to play for their local Club.

For many years the SANFL ran U/19s while we were either U/18s or U/17s - when was this an issue then?
by Look Good In Leather
Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SHOE BOY
No change am bays , this programme is to identify the 2nd tier .
The pathway structure to Glenelg , South Adelaide , West Adelaide will continue and any standouts in the academy programme will be directed to league clubs.

Except to say an U18 coming back from SANFL may not have a junior grade to play in..

Surely if a player is coming back from the SANFL U/18s, it would be better for their development to play senior football.

Presuming they can get a game in the Seniors

Surely someone coming out of the SANFL U/18 system would be able to get at least a B-Grade game

The SANFL has not declined quite that far yet
by Look Good In Leather
Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm genuinely interested what you actually want the SFL to do? You constantly blame the league, but yet take little or no blame for your own club and how it's run, portrayed, culture, juniors, recruiting etc etc?

In 2013, Hackham beat the current premiers, by a point after the siren. They had a young and up and coming team and seemed headed in an ok direction. Who is to blame for the time from then to now? and how rapidly it has declined again? Let me guess? The league...........
by petoe
Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |