Search found 295 matches

Return

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 5 - 2019

Cheers to HVFC for agreeing to push the A grade game back 15 mins tomorrow so we can have the official launch of our new changeroom building.

Massive day for our club tomorrow with that happening, Past Players Day, 1969 50-Year A Grade Premiership Reunion and our first quintuple-header of the year with the women's teams on after the men.
by Pag
Fri May 10, 2019 9:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Pulteney v Salisbury
After suffering their first loss at the hands of Kenilworth in round five, Pulteney will be itching to bounce back and make amends for last week’s mistakes. A struggling Salisbury side presents the perfect opportunity for the Blues to do this. Expect Pulteney to come out fast and strong here.
Prediction – Pulteney by 100+

;)
by Pag
Mon May 20, 2019 3:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 1 - 2019

I reckon we should chuck all these terrible western suburbs clubs in their own league, would solve all the problems. ;)
by Pag
Tue May 21, 2019 4:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Watched Salisbury vs Lockleys don’t think Salisbury want to win took best two players in first half away from ball in third quarter and put them up forward both young and went with a centre square older and slower than fall of Rome all can play but can’t all be in centre at one time makes no sense.
Seriously ruckman was a b grader filling in and in my opinion did a great job but your centre square needs hard contested ball get player,quick with skills and and third onballer a mixture of the last two Salisbury went with three the same and got slammed.
Watch medal count later in year and I still think one of the two young Salisbury players will get a vote by umpires even though Salisbury did there best to keep them out the play don’t know what they are trying to do suck any spark out of there play and play safe boring football.
With full side Salisbury have enough good players to make finals,let players play,create and move the ball quickly as they don’t have the talls to move the ball slowly and seriously taking great marks is good but then turning it over at least 50 % of the time gets you in the best nearly every week.
Hmmm, not sure whether you’re Kevin Sheedy in disguise or not, but starting your post with ‘don’t think Salisbury want to win’ makes me question whether anything else you rambled on with should be taken with anything more than a pinch of salt.

However, you do seem to know a fair bit about the players who ran around today, feel free to come and chat to me about it (leave the keyboard at home) on Tuesday night at training :roll:
by Pag
Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you are looking forward to

whufc wrote:Sold, no car in Paris!

Do the same in London mate. The tube gets you everywhere (including to/from PL stadiums).
by Pag
Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Champions League 19/20

JK wrote:No Auto-qualification for winners of the Eredivisie?

Eredivisie has dropped to 14th in UEFA's league rankings (below the top-flights of Belgium, Austria, Turkey etc), so no.

Best result for Spurs would be Zenit, Celtic, Lille.
by Pag
Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cuppla Pulteney folk headed out Saturday night to watch the HV v SAL game.. reckon was an interesting and controversial finish to the game?

Absolute scenes I hear.
Ball was kicked out of a stoppage, flew toward the boundary, siren went. Bit of confusion as to whether it was paid out on the full or not. Umpires deemed the siren went as the ball was still in play, and called time. Another second or two and Valleys would've had a shot to win it.

Huge crowd, lights were great, clubrooms were packed after the game when I went in for a drink. Great setup out there at HV.
by Pag
Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Really proud of the efforts of our boys, not just today but for the year so far. Went 1-4 over the first five, then turned it around to go 10-3 from that point on and earn a home final. Hopefully the run isn’t finished yet.
by Pag
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: C Grade 2019

Elizabeth A & B grade at Heccies in QF yet the C grade who finish 2nd and in the same QF are at North Haven who finished 3rd.....so Heccies finish 5th and get a home EF WTF!! With the way the league structures things our D grade have been kissed on the d!ck there, I initially thought we would of hosted the Adelaide Uni v Plympton C3 Elimination final since we play Plympton in the B grade to make up the triple header.

Great for the club to get the triple header this weekend, if Saturday was anything to go by the A grade game will be a cracker, a round 18 rematch which was the best A grade game I've watched this season. It's meant to advantage the clubs who are in A grade home finals spots, hence you getting the C6 game.
by Pag
Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Great Southern Football League

Just saw the Alleway one, cannot fathom how he gets off that.

Easy when theres no report to start with. Whilst an incident may be easily identifiable from watching video footage, during live play things happen in a split second and umpires i think can be excused for missing things like this from time to time as they need to be very sure just what happened to be reporting and sending players off etc.
I guess clubs have the right to make their own reports and use video evidence? Im not sure what the process is?
Also im guessing clubs at times dont want to be seen as dobbers and unless a serious injury resulted from a dog act clubs im guessing would just rather move on and concentrate on next week.
Incidentally Sellar for the Creeks suffered a severe concussion from a rucking contest against Alleway earlier in the season and was forced to miss the following match. Not making any aspersions as to what actually happened there as didnt see it, just the result. Who knows, may have been an accident?
Anyway after the AFL seemingly endorsed Gary Ablett earlier in the season with his wayward elbows who knows whats acceptable these days?
With the clear and damning evidence that we just viewed I think the league should intervene and be proactive.

Yes, it probably would've been missed by the umpires as they are generally fixed on watching where the ball is.
Not blaming the umpire, can't call it if he doesn't see it, but surely the league have seen it now and can call it.

Couldn't care if he's ex-SANFL, it was a deadset snipe after the ball had gone and deserves weeks. If it ends his career, so be it.
by Pag
Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Where's the GF?

ROOBOY18 wrote:Its not for revenue thats for sure, league isnt expecting "those" supporters to travel. So gate takings may be a little light on at Kenilworth.

Six different clubs (Elizabeth, Lutherans, Salisbury, Lockleys, West Croydon, Fitzroy) heading down there, reckon the gate will do OK.
by Pag
Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

We would not ask, expect or even contemplate having a home game for a GF, for any grade or under any circumstance.

But we are looking forward to welcoming, Hope Valley, Pulteney, Para Hills, Hectorville and any neutrals to what we feel is the best local footy venue north of the CBD. The upgrades over the last 12 months means all four clubs will have their own changeroom for the day as well as a beautiful deck to run around on, while the supporters will be able to park cars all around the ground and have bars and BBQs on both sides of the oval, as well as the verandah and the grandstand for some shade/protection.

Being that it is an event with an entry fee, like every other venue there will be security on the gates on the way in, as well as roaming the perimeter fencing. All that we ask is that visitors respect our club's liquor license and leave the grog at home. Any that is confiscated will be available to pick up upon exiting the venue.
by Pag
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

These changes are all because one player - Rooboy - complained about the necessary travel for a C6 game.

The league agreed he was right and changed it all.

8)
Had to do a double take when I thought at first they'd gone from St Marys to a home final :shock: :lol:
I was really hoping they were gonna move D5 to Prospect. :(
You'll get Salisbury and like it. :D
by Pag
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

We would not ask, expect or even contemplate having a home game for a GF, for any grade or under any circumstance.

But we are looking forward to welcoming, Hope Valley, Pulteney, Para Hills, Hectorville and any neutrals to what we feel is the best local footy venue north of the CBD. The upgrades over the last 12 months means all four clubs will have their own changeroom for the day as well as a beautiful deck to run around on, while the supporters will be able to park cars all around the ground and have bars and BBQs on both sides of the oval, as well as the verandah and the grandstand for some shade/protection.

Being that it is an event with an entry fee, like every other venue there will be security on the gates on the way in, as well as roaming the perimeter fencing. All that we ask is that visitors respect our club's liquor license and leave the grog at home. Any that is confiscated will be available to pick up upon exiting the venue.
How much to get in these days?
Believe the league have set the prices at $15/adult and $5/concession for all senior GFs. Still much lighter than going to country footy for a season and helps keep call fees down for clubs next year.
by Pag
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Salisbury's BBQ wins as bedge is coming out with some free time around lunch.
by Pag
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you rate!

I rate witnessing valleys07 captain his beloved Hope Valley to a flag yesterday.

It was also good to see Booney , Footy Chick and The Bedge at various stages.

Firstly dude - I cannot thank you and your lovely wife enough for offering to come out and take photo's of the day. I have admired your work behind the lens for many years, and I was incredibly grateful that you chose to come and support my club and I and capture memories of the day that we will all treasure for a lifetime. Based on what you have already sent me, we are all hanging for the completed album!

On to Saturday. Where do I even start?

Clubs are measured on success at A Grade level. It's not quite the be all and end all, but it's close. I have played at Hope Valley for 16 seasons, played over 200 games, achieved life membership and have played in flags prior to Saturday. I have also witnessed my club's A Grade lose 3 Grand Finals, from losing on pretty much the last kick of the day, to 100+ point beltings. I grew envious of blokes who had either played in A Grade flags themselves, or had witnessed their clubs have success in the top grade. Not just your Goodwood Saints of the league, but even bloody Mitchell Park has tasted A Grade success in recent times. In recent times I have found myself wondering when it would happen at my club..

On Saturday, it wasn't about me or any of the C grade lads. Whilst our game was important to us as individuals, most of the blokes in our side (except for the few who hadn't played in a flag before) would have given up a win in order to have the A Grade break their 25 year hoodoo, myself included.

Describing the scenes at Salisbury Oval at 4:30pm simply won't do it justice. When that siren went, it was utter pandemonium. Champagne and beer spraying everywhere. Hundreds of teammates, friends, wives, girlfriends and proud relatives just mobbing the 22 victorious A Graders. Plenty of cheers, and many, many tears. In December 2018, the club adopted the hashtag #timetoendthedrought. What season 2019 delivered was a shift in standards, a culture change, and the Grandest Flag of them all.

As for me - it might sound ridiculous, but like all kids who are footy fanatics - you dream of being an AFL star, on the big stage hoisting up the cup on the last Saturday in September. Whilst I didn't get close to fulfilling the first part of that dream :lol: , to be captain of a premiership team is something that I will hold dear to my heart for the rest of my life, even if it was only at C5 level. I missed out on the opportunity in 2018, my body not quite getting me to the finish line. Having to withdraw from that Grand Final side the night before was probably the hardest call I have had to make in sport, and I sort of feel like I was rewarded for my decision - not missing a game in 2019 and winning the Flag on Saturday. Premierships aren't easy to win, so going back-to-back is seriously special, and the C Grade became just the 2nd side in the club's 115 year history to achieve the feat.

I'll probably get mocked for the above post, but **** it. Saturday was a truly special day for me and my footy club. I am as aware as anyone that there is much more to life than a game of football, but from a sporting perspective, nothing will come close to 14.09.2019.

Up the Mighty Valleys!
Well written mate. I had a chat to Duggy after the game and was happy that he finally got his reward for his effort. Hopefully it's our turn next year now that you pricks are gone. ;)
by Pag
Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

Parents who send their child(ren) to a school and then try to bail them out of doing any school-expected activities (ie an end of year concert, swimming week, excursions etc).

Finances a non-issue here, they just don't to want to be the bad guy and make their child do something they may be a tad uncomfortable about in the beginning. How the **** do you expect your child to build any sort of resilience/confidence?

to be fair, end of year concerts are bullshit. my kids just cant sing, just like most people. and if they could, and they had an interest in developing that, why should other parents be forced to listen to them?

the other things the kids can suck it up and do them, but i suspect that them not doing the concert is more about the parents not wanting to go to it than the kids. i certainly cant stand going to them, either way back when i was a kid, or now that im a parent.

in summary, end of year concerts give me the shits ;)
And as a teacher I don't particularly like organising them, but I can't exactly opt out can I? The kids that battle with Maths and English don't exactly get the choice to opt out of that on a daily basis.

yep, because maths and english have the same importance as crappily singing shitty pop songs in front of bored parents.

after having looked it up, this year i dont have to suffer through an end of year concert, which is a definite win in my book. so not all schools do them. maybe if you dont like them either, convince your schools leadership to do away with them too. would make everyone happy.
Concert is just one example. We have parents trying to bail their kids out of going to SAPSASA sports carnivals, to the Museum for an excursion, to school swimming week, we even had a hands-on Maths incursion last week (excursion that comes to you) that parents try to get their kids out of.

Anything Little Johnny might not enjoy as much as his video games, so we don't have to fight him about it.
by Pag
Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

Every professional job requires some unpaid after hours work, Teaching seems one of the few vocations that are very vocal about having to do this.

FWIW Teachers do work hard and I respect them and the job they do, my sister is a teacher and my son wants to be one.

I don't think their union represents their profession very well publicly.

If teachers got $120k a year I'd tell them to shoosh, the fact they don't AND they have to put up with 30 or more snot gobblers every day I reckon they deserve some breaks.

As for the 12 weeks of holidays a year, I can assure you they spend most of that wrapping up one term and preparing for the next.

All that aside, their union is extremely poor at speaking on their behalf, absolutely agreed.

As I said I know they do a power of work, not arguing that, but the whinging we hear in the media is way over the top.

As for the $120k, they are not that far off that figure currently.

Again, that's poor representation.
*deep breath*

I'm happy to clarify a few things (off the top of my head), this may vary slightly from school to school and public to private systems. For context, I work in a severely disadvantaged school in the northern suburbs (to answer a previous query, country teachers can receive financial allowances based on their distance away from the Adelaide CBD, all metro teachers are on the same pay rates, regardless of whether you’re in Davoren Park or Burnside. Principals pay is calculated on complexity x number of students).

The main aspect (or at least should be) of a teacher's job is to plan, implement and assess learning for six lessons per day. As well as ensuring it is engaging for students, hands-on for kids with different learning styles, and incorporates use of ICT in some way, the learning needs to fits with the year level (or levels) we are teaching of the Australian Curriculum (ACARA), ensuring we are incorporating an ATSI perspective, Asian connections and cross-curricular priorities according to ACARA. We also then need to individualise/modify/change the learning outcomes, tasks and assessments for students with verified disabilities (of which I have seven in my current class), with English as a Second Language (of which I have eight in my class), for students who are not working at the year level for that particular (the majority of the rest, I have only four students working at year level for English and Maths), as well as for students working above year level who need to be stretched. Classroom management is also key so students (and families) clearly know routines, expectations and structures. Bearing in mind that not all the 30 kids we get are engaged and eager to learn, and the rates of trauma that students are bringing with them to the classroom are increasing each year (drug/alcohol abuse at home, domestic violence, child addictions etc all contributing factors).

Other responsibilities include:
- Analysing and interpret student achievement data to inform future planning and pedagogies
- Writing, monitoring and updating Negotiated Education Plans for students with verified disabilities (seven I mentioned earlier), and the same for Individual Learning Plans for all ATSI students (of which I have three students) and the same for students under the Guardianship of the Minister (of which I have three also).
- Applying for extra funding for other students who may need support with Literacy, Numeracy or their well-being.
- Developing behaviour plans for students presenting with extreme and challenging behaviours.
- Following up continuous non-attendance including home visits, meeting with attendance officers etc.
- Organising, planning and implementing two excursions per year, ensuring the outcomes match ACARA as mentioned in the top paragraph.
- Supervising students on yard duty 1x 15-20 minute session per day.
- Attending one 1.5 hr staff meeting per week.
- Holding Parent/Teacher interviews for all students in Terms 1 & 3, and writing formal reports for all students in Terms 2 and 4.
- Dealing with conflicts and bullying/harassment between students (eating in to break times for teachers or learning time for students).
- Mandatory reporting of instances of child neglect/abuse to the Department for Child Protection.
- Completing 37.5 hours of outside-hours training & development on an annual basis.

Added aspects (specific to my role as a Year 6/7 Teacher, on top of the above):
- Organise, plan and implement an annual Year 6/7 three-day camp.
- Organise, plan and run an annual Year 7 Graduation celebration/dinner/disco.
- Organise, collate and have printed a Seniors Yearbook on an annual basis
- Organise and manage Year 7 ‘Seniors’ uniform on an annual basis
- Organise, plan and implement an annual Year 7 Aquatics excursion (in lieu of swimming lessons)
- Organise and manage the transition process for Year 7s to local high schools

I also have been involved with SAPSASA School Sport in the Playford region across the last four years, organising coaching the district footy team (with after school trainings etc). Completely a choice thing from my end, but a teacher from the district has to do it or it doesn't happen for kids.

The bolded aspects are what teachers want improved with the next CBA. It is becoming increasingly difficult (and time-consuming) to deal with these factors, so much paperwork to deal with, that I have actually seen teachers decide not to apply for funding to help a student because of the amount of hoops they are expected to jump through (with no guarantee of the support/funding being provided).

The first paragraph I mentioned (ie pure teaching and learning) is a 40-hour per week job by itself, absolute minimum. Add on all the other dot points and the hours per week add up quickly. People talk about the 12 weeks of holidays. One week across the year is taken up with training and development mentioned (down to 11 weeks), we actually go back a week before kids in January to set-up new classrooms (down to 10 weeks), a class of 30 reports takes me approx. 40 hours (down to 9 weeks), and we do it twice a year (down to eight weeks). I would spend 3-4 days in each lot of holidays during the year finalising grades from the term prior (as kids hand up assignments in the last week, even when due 5-6 weeks beforehand), and organising the next terms curriculum (3-4 days x 3 = -2 weeks, down to six). The 12 weeks, as good as it looks on paper, is actually a myth for most teachers. There are poor and lazy teachers out there, as there are in every profession/trade, but for the majority, six is a more realistic number.

This is not a sob story by any means, just trying to state some facts from a teacher perspective. Myself and the majority of teachers at our site aren’t overly fussed about the pay increase, but the bolded points above are becoming harder and harder to manage due to red tape increasing, as well as the number of students bringing complexity into the classroom that the government aren’t willing to support appropriately. I agree in that sometimes I don’t think our union gets our message across well-enough. But I also feel the general public go a bit harder on teachers due to the ’12 weeks’ myth, and because everyone went to school so has an opinion. Just because I drive across a bridge each day, doesn’t mean I’d know the ins and outs of an engineer’s work.
by Pag
Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: School Absentee whilst Holidaying

As i've mentioned on here before me and the family including partner plus a 11, 8 & 1 year old are spending 5 weeks over in Europe. This means to two older children will be missing 4 weeks of school.

I'm a big believer in the ability for real world travelling experiences to be great educational learnings for children and i want my children to gain some of this whilst on holiday.

What have others done in regards to their kids missing school? Do schools still give the kids work to do whilst away? Should i get them to keep a journal? Provide them with a project?

Thoughts?

We took our 2 (then 8 and 5) to the USA for 5 weeks toward the end of 2018. Whilst Miss 5 didnt have to do anything Mr 8 did a journal of sorts and we put a heap of photos into a powerpoint presentation when we got back which he presented to the class, and spoke about each of the places we stayed.

Love that.
As a teacher, this would be the absolute most I would get one of my students to do while on a major holiday. Anything more, that might potentially take away from the experience of the trip, I would be hesitant to give. Ultimately, they will see and learn so much more while away, and get a small bit of perspective that they can't really get anywhere else. I had a student travel to South Africa last year, came back and said she realised how extremely lucky she was to live in Australia, having driven past and through some of the villages over there. That lesson provided more than any school assignment I could've given her.

I would never baulk at a parent taking their child overseas at any time, travel opens up so much that a general classroom just can't.

If its a public school, there is an 'exemption from school' form you need to fill out for absences two weeks or longer. School's front office should have it.
by Pag
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Are you ok?

Good work Wubbzy.

To be honest with you aswell i had the worst end imaginable to 2019 my wife passed away out of the blue 9 days before Christmas. It smashed me to bits, in that moment my whole life changed and everything i took for granted was gone.

The only thing that kept me going at the time was my son but i also put alot of my time into changing my lifestyle, ive never been a drinker but i eat alot and often. So I completely changed my diet and started exercising.

Since that day ive lost 15 kilos and im the fittest ive been since 2007.

Its helped me keep my mind of whats happened but i also do see a Counsellor so that has helped aswell.

Life can be ****** and we cant take anything for granted is what ive learnt so fair out of this.
You know we're always here for ya mate :heart:
by Pag
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you laugh

Do you have a plan B to do a trip here in Oz if you cant go OS?

Thats looking like a potential option. Going to absolutely break my heart having to tell the kids this though. They both have been obsessed with Paris since they were old enough to talk.

One of the main reasons for this holiday was to motivate and inspire my eldest who is very much the drifter. I've never seen her so passionate about anything like she has been towards this holiday. She is 11 and has literally taught herself enough french that she can hold a decent conversation in the language.
All the best with it mate, things are going to get worse yet worldwide, whether it's all hype or legit I can see many countries coming to a standstill for a fortnight to isolate everyone for containment.

I'm not overly fussed about it, it seems to only affect the vulnerable, there's many other illnesses that do the same and don't get the airtime.

Agree with you.

We arent fussed about 'catching' it but like you said it seems all but inevitable this going to kick off for a while yet and more countries to coming to standstill.

I think thats what is the most frustrating part is we want to travel, we're not too afraid.
If Europe is off the table mate, and the French speaking is important to the daughter, consider eastern Canada (if it's open for business). All the locals in Montreal, Quebec City etc speak French like you're in France and you're only a short hop away to NYC/Niagara Falls/Washington/Boston/ Philly/Toronto etc.
by Pag
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: COVID-19

How are alot of these footballers going to pay their mortgages? Genuinely saw a couple of mates post this question on their facebook pages after recently building houses.

Will they be covered by any kind of income protection if they had it?
I would genuinely hope no amateur or country footballer is basing their mortgage repayments around footballing income? They wouldn't get any compensation for pinging a hammy or breaking a collarbone, no different here.
by Pag
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19)

Just got a smack in perspective from one post on facebook. It read:

‘If lockdown happens my heart goes out to children who live in homes with abusive parents and empty fridges where school is their safe place’

Wowsers!!
I’ve seen this a bit, and have dealt with this issue a lot in the past 10 years just sending kids home for a weekend or for school holidays.

Unfortunately our police and Department for Families don’t have the funding or resources to deal with these cases unless they are in the top 0.1% in terms of extremeties (ie death of child could be imminent).
by Pag
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just got a smack in perspective from one post on facebook. It read:

‘If lockdown happens my heart goes out to children who live in homes with abusive parents and empty fridges where school is their safe place’

Wowsers!!
yep, my other half works in one of those schools, inner suburban Adelaide, some of the things that happen there are unheard of, THIS particular school needs to be closed ASAP, they don't even have hand wash either, although they are telling everyone they practice recommended sanitation methods etc etc
Not the only ones mate, my site ran out of hand sanitiser on Wednesday (1500 kids + 150 staff).

People would be shocked at the lack of hygiene in schools at the minute.
by Pag
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Big Shrek wrote:Are any teams training through this period?

I'd hope not, but there'd be one or two that probably are I reckon.

Would be a way-too-early start for the 2021 pre-season, not sure what they'd have to gain out of it.
by Pag
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Are you ok?

All the best for your Dad FC, hope it goes as well as it can from here, I had my brother in ICU in a coma for 2 weeks back in 2000, its certainly a shock when you first go in there.
Yep had to fly to Melbourne two years ago to find my old man in ICU. Not fun.

Best wishes to you and the family Longy.
by Pag
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Outcomes from the meeting between the Education Minister and the IEU:

• The impact of closures on non-teaching staff needs to be addressed urgently in the event of closures. Given the substantial level of public funding from the federal government to non-government schools, that all support staff remain employed and paid

What does this part mean, surely teachers and non teaching staff realise that if there is no work there is no employment, just like the everyone else???
Teachers will be still be teaching from home? Why wouldn't they be getting paid?
by Pag
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

They're on call I reckon.
by Pag
Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

There will be some kids who don't have access to a laptop/ipad/phone or even wifi, we just presume every house has this these days.

There’s a kid in my sons class who doesn’t have access to a laptop or wifi.
I’m working with the school to get him one as I can’t see this kid go with out.

I just found out he has a sister as well who doesn’t have one either.
Schools should be able to cater for this by sending work home on paper via the post. That's what we're doing at least.

Yeah mate the school has.
They’ve been great.

This kid misses out on a lot already so if I can help him out with my old laptop which I’ve cleaned up it’s the least I can do.
Good work mate.

For context, this is what I sent my class at 8.30am this morning (and similar each morning this week). Gives them a guide to how they can run their day at home (how we're doing it at school) and what they should be covering:

Hi guys,

Welcome to Thursday. Only today and tomorrow left before your holidays officially start!

Today's plan:

Daily Multiples Practice
Fitness
Daily 5 Literacy - Word Work Etymology or Read-to-Self or Work on Writing Typing (if finished writing and rainbow editing)
Daily 5 Literacy - Word Work Etymology or Read-to-Self or Work on Writing Typing (if finished writing and rainbow editing)

Recess

Maths - Manga High/Study Ladder. Have a go at the tasks assigned, you should be having at least three attempts at both MangaHigh tasks around square numbers and should be getting through the 16 tasks set on Study Ladder by the end of the week. Well done to the people who have been doing this.
NIT Science - Mrs ****** to send you task via Dojo.

Lunch

Layered Curriculum - Task #6, it's due tomorrow, and is an important part of your Literacy grade! Well done to people who have sent me their rough copy so I could help with a bit of feedback to make the good copy as on the mark as possible. If finished Task #6 and it's handed up through the 'Assessment Task' on the right hand side of Daymap, take on some free choice tasks to get your points tally up.

A couple of notes to remember:

- I've reattached the Word Work Sheets and Work on Writing Prompt from Tuesday
- Remember, I can keep track of when you log in/how long you spend working/what activities you attempt through MangaHigh and Study Ladder. This is a really important way of embedding the concepts we've covered in class late this term.
- Layered Curriculum has been across the whole term, and you're still trying to get as many points as possible. I will cut off the LC marks at the end of NEXT week (even though it's technically holidays as of tomorrow), so you have today, tomorrow and until next Friday to hand me up tasks that you complete.
- Keep being kind to your parents!
- Have a great day, remember to send me a message through Daymap if you're stuck at any point and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Mr *****
by Pag
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you laugh

Don't know if it makes me laugh.. or if I rate it.. but last night on Kayo I discovered ESPN Ocho (think that's what it was called).. brilliant!

Cherry pip spitting
Pizza Acrobatic championships
Chess Boxing
Stone skipping championships
Juggle Dodgeball

WTF comes up with this stuff?! :lol:
Shame you missed the greatest moment in ESPN Ocho's history, about 15 years ago Peter LaFleur lead Average Joe's Gym to win the Las Vegas Open Invitational with a come-from-behind, sudden-death dodgeball win over White Goodman and the GloboGym Purple Cobras.
by Pag
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

People don’t really understand stay at home unless it’s essential...Blackwood is absolutely packed right now. Families all out shopping, people packing bakeries, kids hanging outside hungry jacks...absolute idiots

Wouldn't be happening if the kids were still at school, teachers won that battle.
Won what battle? As far as I was aware, schools haven’t been shut by the federal or state governments. Teachers have been given four days to try to learn, organise and start a whole new era of education, before schools will reopen again.

School attendance was down to 20% in some places last week, due to parents making the decision to keep kids home, not teachers. Hardly the fault of teachers that some parents either a) refuse to put boundaries in place for their kids or b) have no common sense.
by Pag
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

No where did I say teachers aren't doing a great job, but it is undeniable they pushed the government to the point where they agreed to close this week.

Despite low attendence rates prior to this week you didn't see kids everywhere as the parents who kept them home made sure they did exactly that.

This week is considered by the kids as an additional week of holidays so are out and about everywhere.
How is what kids do in their school holidays the responsibility of teachers? I doubt your boss is coming to your house during your annual leave instructing you to stay home, while having zero authority over you during that time.

I'll repeat, parents gotta parent.
by Pag
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Unfortunately there will be a lot more of this as well.

I think the government are doing a great job currently with government assistance and I hope they continue to do so.

If we have to pay for this for the next 10-15 years then so be it.

I seen a few doley's I know flashing their $750 on FB yesterday or showing how much piss they bought, I refrained from comment.

I don’t get the payment to long term doley’s.
That’s another story though.

But any payments or funds to keep people employed or business afloat, I’m happy to wear the cost for years to come.

That's my only gripe, they aren't being disadvantaged.

I'm actually using this time to be smarter with my money and not take things for granted, I haven't been disadvantaged, I haven't stockpiled, I did buy an extra slab on two different visits to put away just incase the bottle shops close for any length of time but as a whole I'm trying to distinguish how much money I actually used to waste each month.

I like a beer, I like a punt and I love going to the pub, it's going to be interesting to see the difference now as whenever I had a win I'd take the missus out for dinner, go to the shop the next day to buy her a dress or some perfume, some shit for the house and a couple of things for myself, I can't do any of them anymore.
I definitely noticed the difference when I put across our leftover money into savings the night before payday last week. Way higher than usual without being able to go the pub/footy club twice during the week. Few more of them and we'll end up investing some $$$ into the economy with a laundry reno.
by Pag
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Some cool economic data coming through, showing impact of lockdown on business categories and impact of stimulus package:

https://www.alphabeta.com/illiontracking

Check out the 'consumer spending by category' changes :shock:

Online gambling increases by 67% and 99% of sports apart from some racing have stopped. That’s insane :shock:
ScoMo wearing a silver/grey tie paid $4 the other day.

I've found I've been on the punt the last three Saturday afternoons when I would normally be running around on a footy oval. Clearly I'm not the only one in this boat.
by Pag
Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 2 - 2020

jake the snake wrote:Are you telling me that these boys aren’t playing for the love of the jumper? That’s a big surprise

Huge surprise. Especially considering it’s a really low socio-economic area and well-off sponsors would be extremely hard to come by.
by Pag
Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If you're after a pub in particular mate I've just been checking their FB page, some only doing dinner takeaways and not lunch.

Back to the school topic, just about to walk out of my empty classroom for the weekend and it looks like my class is projecting to have 14 students attending Monday and 16 learning at home. Got my first online meeting with kids at 9am to hopefully iron out kinks. Half is half is difficult, almost easier from a surely teaching standpoint having a strong majority one way or the other. We're staring fully online to try keep the equality across the board and will have to adjust as the numbers on/off-site change. Wish me luck. :?
by Pag
Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

As myself and my wife (both teachers) are going back to work this week, our two year-old has to go back to child care. We have had the option over the previous two weeks and we have kept her home, and would’ve again this week if it was possible.

And again, harping on my previous (and Jase’s) point, if schools are supposedly safe, then junior sport and public playgrounds should be accessible this week also. Smacks of inconsistencies still.

30 kids in a 40 square metre classroom from Mon-Fri = fine.
18-36 kids on a footy oval on a Sunday = not fine.
50-100 kids on a school playground = fine.
1 kid on a public playground = not fine.
Up to 1500 kids in a schoolyard at recess/lunchtimes = fine.
11 kids at a birthday party = not fine.

To add to this, school will be a half-assed experience for kids if they go back next week anyway. Excursions, incursions, assemblies, school sport, extra-curricular activities, special events etc all cancelled for the forseeable future, which is bullshit if kids ‘don’t catch/transmit the virus’. Double standards everywhere.
by Pag
Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

As myself and my wife (both teachers) are going back to work this week, our two year-old has to go back to child care. We have had the option over the previous two weeks and we have kept her home, and would’ve again this week if it was possible.

And again, harping on my previous (and Jase’s) point, if schools are supposedly safe, then junior sport and public playgrounds should be accessible this week also. Smacks of inconsistencies still.

30 kids in a 40 square metre classroom from Mon-Fri = fine.
18-36 kids on a footy oval on a Sunday = not fine.
50-100 kids on a school playground = fine.
1 kid on a public playground = not fine.
Up to 1500 kids in a schoolyard at recess/lunchtimes = fine.
11 kids at a birthday party = not fine.

To add to this, school will be a half-assed experience for kids if they go back next week anyway. Excursions, incursions, assemblies, school sport, extra-curricular activities, special events etc all cancelled for the forseeable future, which is bullshit if kids ‘don’t catch/transmit the virus’. Double standards everywhere.

I keep hearing this argument about School vs Sport vs Other Group Activities for kids. The part I keep thinking is being missed is that for any of those other items to occur it would involve many other adults (parents, umpires, organisers, etc) to be involved. As apposed to school which has a controlled number of adults in the mix. You open that box to quickly and we will be back to where we were a month or two ago.

I get that teachers are worried, but when the chief medical officer says it is safe to go back then why can't this just be taken for what it is. Instead we have the head of the teachers union coming out publicly saying don't send your kids back to school. Why on earth would they say this? On what grounds do they think this is a good approach? You now have what I'm hearing is one of the biggest frustrations for teachers... Half of the students on campus and the other half studying online from home.

This virus is going to be around for many many more months. The government is working towards returning to some form of normality - but the virus will still be around. The idea being that we can almost have normal lives but the second there is a new case or an outbreak everyone involved would be isolated - this applied to whether it be a kid from a school or an adult from a workplace.
I’m not the biggest fan of the way the union have carried on, and I agree, having half/half attendance is actually the hardest scenario for teachers. Ultimately, despite what ScoMo (and the Union) say, it is still 100% the decision of the parents to send their children to school on a particular day or not.

But again, if kids can’t pass on/catch the virus, why can’t they have a kick on a Sunday with parents in cars watching/socially distancing? You need an umpire, coach and team manager, similar to having a teacher, SSO and maybe another subject/yard duty teacher that kids will come into contact with during the day at school. It is literally no different. My daughter isn’t allowed to go to her swimming class on a Sunday morning with one adult to five kids, but I can have thirty kids around me in a small space the day after? Consistency?

The other point I’ll make is I have two students who are your typical boys, only come to school for recess, lunch, PE and the SAPSASA carnivals every three weeks. Every teacher does. Those carnivals are the carrot I have to dangle in front of them so they hand up any sort of work and so they successfully manage their behaviour. That carrot is gone, that tri-weekly opportunity for those kids to experience some success is gone, and unfortunately, I wouldn’t be surprised if they end up suspended soon after working out SAPSASA isn’t back. The kids who love their music, well choir and instrumental lessons are gone. We’ve been told our food tech lessons are still theory until further notice, there goes the highlight for the kids who love cooking. Unless you love English and Maths, school won’t be the whole experience for a while for a lot of kids, which is sad if it’s completely safe. Again, this feeds the narrative that schools are being used as a babysitting tool for the time being, only open on a streamline basis so the economy can keep ticking.
by Pag
Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Whilst I can appreciate how the covid app will help I can’t help but feel disgruntled at the way Morrison is getting that message across.

Almost feels like his bribing/extorting me with my own freedom ‘download the app or else I’ll keep you lockdown longer’

Still unsure about this one.
This. Despite the validity of the app, I almost don't want to download it just because of the way he speaks. I'm not a ******* child in timeout.
by Pag
Fri May 01, 2020 4:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you sad.

When I was 18 I did the "Miss Eels" contest at our league club - first time i'd been involved or heard of it, didn't know how it worked so went to my mates place before hand and his sister lent me her clothes and did my hair and make up.. walked to the club in high heels. :lol:

Make matters worse, later that night (long story short) got arrested, went to the police station and got photos with my makeup still on.. then got released around 2am and had to walk home from Elizabeth to Evanston Gardens in a mini skirt and jumper.. and got chased by a dog half way home. :oops: :lol:

For the record, I looked hot as ****.
Fair walk too :lol: . Hope Munno Para HJs was open for breakfast.
I had to do the Old Golden Grove to Smithfield Plains 4am trek a couple of times, and McMahons to Smithfield Plains.

One night/morning I almost got to the John Rice Avenue when a car pulled over to see if I needed a lift, I took him up on the offer and when we got to my house he said "I brought this car from a house on this street", it turned out it he brought it off my mum, I still remember the number plate.
Worst I've done is from the Windmill, up Main North Rd to Regency Rd, chucked a right and got down to the Hampstead Rd int, chucked a left and happened to have a bus come past as I was walking past a stop. That got me to Ingle Farm Shopping Centre, then walked from there to Modbury Heights to get home. This was after an 8am-6pm day at Oakbank followed by a 4-5 hour session at the Windmill, all dressed as Steve Irwin.
by Pag
Tue May 05, 2020 12:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

As an individual, a lot of it depends on your motivation for playing. If I can't sit around in the changerooms with my 20 mates after winning a game in shit weather, having some shower beers and talking shit, before going back into the club and getting on the cans til midnight before singing Horses with 50-60 people at the end of our function, not sure I really want to do it either. If I wanted to just rock up, play, go home, I'd have been a paid mercenary a long time ago (subject to there being a club stupid enough to pay me money).

The two hours on the ground is only a small part of it IMO.
by Pag
Tue May 12, 2020 12:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I might be speaking for a minority here but im astounded at the negativity around trying to get football underway.
Whilst I understand people are concerned about loss of income crowds etc I think we all know the SANFL and the government would have plans to support this. I would have thought people would be hanging to get out have a kick and get back into it....what`s the alternative ?? sit home and mow the lawn 4 times a week? Maybe its a sign of the times but football used to be a major part of people lives who would jump any obstacle to get out on the field.
I'm not against it starting, I love my footy, and not trying to be overly negative.

However, if this has taught me anything it's that maybe I spent too much time/energy/money on footy previously, probably to the detriment of other things and relationships in my life outside of footy. I have enjoyed being at home to have dinner with my daughter (and wife I suppose) each night and hearing about the day at child care, as opposed to doing a 5.15pm child-care pick-up, drop home, grab bag and run to footy training in 10-12 degrees. I haven't been on the phone on a Sunday morning dissecting a loss with coaching staff, instead I've been out pushing my daughter on her swing or playing in her sandpit, things I probably wasn't doing enough beforehand.

Everyone is looking at it through a different lens though.
by Pag
Thu May 14, 2020 11:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Dutchy wrote:No rule against having lights left on at an oval

Wouldn't it only be club officials who have the ability to operate lights? Can't imagine Average Joe walking in off the street would have the access and/or the ability to turn the lights on whenever he feels like it.
by Pag
Thu May 14, 2020 10:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Best and worst grounds.

Dutchy wrote:

How Salisbury (I'm biased) didn't make this bracket but Largs North did with it's lack of coverage for spectators, no protection from the wind off the ocean and changerooms with no lighting is beyond me. ;)
by Pag
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 2 - 2020

Brad Robertson back to Salisbury North.

Lol at Joe Hay in the Advertiser "We’re not a high-paying club so we don’t try and compete with clubs on the money front".
I hope he's comparing them to clubs in the Barossa etc and not to other ammo clubs. I understand they lose players to the big country money, but they are the Man City of ammo clubs (without the trophies to show for it). Lol. They pay more at Salisbury than Salisbury North

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well I'm getting paid -$350 for the season, so you guys must have some expensive subs. ;)

I'm sure our top guys may get equal to or more than your 18th-21st guys, but on the whole, I reckon you'd have us covered by a bit. No grudge, I'm jealous of the resources you have and wish we had them.

I agree that SN can get priced out when dealing with some close-in country clubs (everyone north of GJ Road is in that bracket), but they wouldn't get priced out when dealing with fellow ammo clubs.
by Pag
Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 5 - 2020

meanderman wrote:Wonderful article in the tiser about the Hendry family at Kenilworth, truly great people!

Great people, bar Tim. That bloke is a flog.
by Pag
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Props to West Croydon for stocking cans of Vanilla Coke behind the bar. Not really footy-related but it's the best drink to slam down after a game (before the beers).
by Pag
Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you miss

am Bays wrote:
Corona Man wrote:A Balfours Pasty with sauce...

Living in Darwin:

Decent Mettwurst (Shultz's, Hahndorf, Linkes)
Fleurieu Ice Coffee
Yank Bakery Steak and Mushroom Pie

Balfours Custard tarts

Had two of these last week. Very good.

Sorry mate ;)
by Pag
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

On a more serious note, anyone heading to Salisbury Oval on Saturday please bring some cash (or use our ATM) as some blue tins will go rattling around for our Beyond Blue Day. Past and present senior players have been growing beards all year and will shave them off later in the night to support the cause.

During my time playing we have lost two good men from our club to the black dog and numerous others have faced some real battles. It's something we can all get behind and 100% of the funds raised on Saturday from the tins and the beard shave is going directly to Beyond Blue

Can also donate at this link: https://beyondblue-individual.everydayhero.com/au/sfc-beyond-blue-day?fbclid=IwAR1nl7e1zwlH2ZsT9Yc57rvFZH1feLor9W-qiqA89kKFWaEoXe4mjOS_v6Y
by Pag
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

laser wrote:Would the sitting rule apply to outdoor areas?

Would think it would be all areas that come under the liquor license.
by Pag
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |