Search found 181 matches

Return

Re: CEO of the comp makes 315, gets slammed for doing it

Reminds me of the time Warwick Todd went to visit a poor South African township to run a coaching clinic for some kids.

He batted against the kids in the nets and they kept dropping short. WT hit all six of the town's tattered old cricket balls out of the nets and into an adjacent swamp.

"The kids were pretty disappointed but had learned a valuable lesson about bowling the right length."
by Tony Clifton
Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Hills Cricket (HCA, TVCA & A&EH) 2013/14.

Just heard that Shaun tait will be playing the rest of the year with his hometown nairne. After not being picked up in the recent ipl auction. To qualify for finals a player must have played 5 weeks of cricket. Both weeks that were heated out Nairne put his name on there team sheet, which was a smart move. I'm sure all opposition teams will be shitting themselves! :shock: Apparently he is only going to be bowling spin, but would be interesting in a tight final if that idea changes?
Hopefully no one is silly enough to belt one of his wily off spinners out of the park :D
by Tony Clifton
Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Grade Cricket

Technically clubs don't have to release U/18 players but who is really going to put a teenage kid through a tug of war like that?

Grade clubs simply shouldn't be trying to poach players at that age. Once they're 18+... no worries. Fair game.

when does the grade season start?
Saturday October 18 I think. Bit later than usual.

Might not be playing on sand in Round 1 for once :D
by Tony Clifton
Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Hills Cricket (HCA, TVCA & A&EH) 2014/15.

40 over one dayers, 1pm until 6pm. God's gift to cricketers.

Short days, juniors don't run into senior start times, still time for good players to make a ton, get to bat/bowl every single week, no full days in the field, sensible over rate so don't finish at 7pm.

Oh, but the spinners won't bowl. Well bowl them then. Captains choose who bowls.

Oh, but the younger blokes won't get a bat. Well bat them then. Captains choose the batting order.

Oh, but you get more time to bat with two dayers. No you don't. Teams get 80 overs per fortnight to bat no matter if it's one or two dayers.

Oh, but it's not real cricket. Neither are two dayers. Real cricket is five days long, goes from 11 til 6 and still might end in a draw after all that time.

Oh, but we'll create a generation of sloggers. Better to create a generation that don't play at all?
by Tony Clifton
Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: C4 - season 2015

In their defence, a number of their blokes tried to stop him so it isn't the whole team or club
Ingle Farm made finals in 2013 in the C4 competition and were a great group of guys, coach a good bloke, decent footballers. Were great to play against and had absolutely no issues. Shame that a few peanuts seem to have come in since then because it tarnishes the whole club.
by Tony Clifton
Wed May 13, 2015 8:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Adelaide Uni are seeking to have 8 Men's teams this season, must be the biggest club in SA. Also has huge influx of players 18-21 years of age. Why would you want to remove such a club from SACA?
They get a lot of international students and new arrivals to Australia playing for them which is fantastic but they could fill this role equally well in Adelaide Turf. And they do anyway - four of those teams are in Adelaide Turf already.

The whole point of grade cricket is it is not about running huge clubs with tons of players - that's what Adelaide Turf and the hard wicket competitions are for. Grade Cricket is meant to be the elite cricketers who are trying to play at a higher level.
by Tony Clifton
Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 5 - 2015

ROOBOY18 wrote:The B grade umpire from BOS........wow!!

Good looker is he?
by Tony Clifton
Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Adelaide Uni are seeking to have 8 Men's teams this season, must be the biggest club in SA. Also has huge influx of players 18-21 years of age. Why would you want to remove such a club from SACA?
They get a lot of international students and new arrivals to Australia playing for them which is fantastic but they could fill this role equally well in Adelaide Turf. And they do anyway - four of those teams are in Adelaide Turf already.

The whole point of grade cricket is it is not about running huge clubs with tons of players - that's what Adelaide Turf and the hard wicket competitions are for. Grade Cricket is meant to be the elite cricketers who are trying to play at a higher level.

In my opinion we're looking at the glass half empty. If they are competitive at Grade Level, why would they go down? Only to come and dominate Turf.
They're perennially mid-table at grade level and only get there by taking players from other grade clubs or topping up with UK recruits.

They perform no role of any value to the pointy end of SA cricket.

Where they can (and do) play a key role is providing an avenue for students and people new to SA/Aus to play the game at medium and lower levels. I don't think they'd dominate turf because their handful of quality players would leave.
by Tony Clifton
Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

There's two parts of Shield cricket
1) Success in the Sheffield Shield competition
2) Producing Australian players

The two goals conflict with each other at times. Eg if NSW has bunch of players picked for Australia then this hampers their Shield success aspirations. On the flip side, states that are full of mature players who will be 'Shield only' cricketers and help them win games there will find it harder to produce Australian players.

I'm not sure where SA's priorities have been in the past. We haven't been successful in either. It's seemed there hasn't been a clear direction or priority.

SA is a smaller state which carries some disadvantages in terms of talent pool but there should be some advantages too. It should be easier for us to identify our standout talents earlier and do extra work with those players. In larger states talented players get lost in the mix simply because there are so many. Also standout young players in SA should get opportunities to play Shield and Futures cricket earlier than equivalently skilled players in other states.

I feel that by stocking up on so many 'handy' interstate players over the years that we're actually undoing the one advantage smaller states possess.

I'm thrilled this year that there is a crop of talented SA youngsters in our squad, a number of whom will/could be in the Shield XI (Head, Smith, Sayers, Lehmann, Gregory, Benton, Valente, Nielsen). We've had Shield matches previously where there has only been two South Aussies in the XI! And still finished bottom...
by Tony Clifton
Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015 Ashes

Haddin is the best pure keeper in Australia IMO. Nevill to the quicks is fine but we saw when he was keeping to Lyon that he really struggled. Luckily he had Clarke at first slip doing half his work for him. Still happy that Nevill is in though. Haddin's batting is shot to pieces. We saw last time Haddin was replaced just how far behind the No 2 keeper is. Wade almost single-handedly cost Nathan Lyon his test career.
by Tony Clifton
Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hasn't rained for a month and a half... 4pm Friday afternoon on Round 1 Eve the heavens open

**** this ****
by Tony Clifton
Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The pink ball.

I think there will be some tweaking of the rules for day/night tests. Eg swap the ball after 60 overs rather than 80 overs. Also only play them at grounds with "lush" surrounds rather than places that are notoriously dry and abrasive and reverse swing a lot.

Needs to happen though. You look around the world and see how pathetic the crowds are for test cricket. Need to try a few different things.
by Tony Clifton
Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australia v NZ - Test Series

Will New Zealand forfeit again?
by Tony Clifton
Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ATCA

Getting rid of bonus points for the second innings can make those second innings more interesting.

Teams figure that if they're going to play them then they may as well put the outright points on the line. Teams will look to declare, set targets, try to bowl teams out as they seek quick runs. Much more interesting if the game is alive and on the line.

Also means that if a team chases down a score on first innings they may choose to declare straight away rather than bat on. Or if they bat on they will look to score quickly rather than just batting out time. The onus comes on the skippers to progress the game.

Sometimes there may not be time left in the game of course which is why the 5pm rule is sensible.
by Tony Clifton
Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Very unfortunate for WT but me thinks their previous commentary in their annual reports (available online) about SACA may have come back to bite them.

That's a fair call Hound, the Club has certainly had to speak to our President about his editorials, as they would no doubt upset thin skinned people at the SACA. As he produces our Magazine and Annual report, and prints it, etc, we don't get to see it till it is all printed. Have cringed once or twice reading some things he has written!
Surely that's nothing to do with it? Everyone slags off SACA and the Redbacks!

It would be a shame if West Torrens were one of the clubs to go. They are everything a grade club should be. They are the benchmark in many ways given that they've been successful with a pretty small junior zone and a small country zone. Plus girls teams up and running. Other clubs should be looking at how West Torrens run things and follow suit - not shut them down!

If the end result is Port & Woodville merging and West Torrens getting a larger zone then that would be a better result. Nothing against Port and Woodville but I just think West Torrens is one club that functions really well from top to bottom.
by Tony Clifton
Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014-2015 20/20 Whinge Thread

Twenty20 cricket has ruined the West Indies

They were flying before IPL came long ;)
by Tony Clifton
Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: BLCA 2015/2016

The umpire obviously didn't think it was four and he's the one that matters.
by Tony Clifton
Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A/B Grade games would be a chance to get away. Most clubs have pretty good covers now. Below that... rain card!
by Tony Clifton
Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: C&CCA Season 2015/16

40 overs one dayers, 1pm start time, finished by 6pm are God's gift to cricketers

Morning off, get to bat/bowl every week, no 2nd innings, easier with player availability.
by Tony Clifton
Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This is all too cryptic for me
by Tony Clifton
Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This has obviously been brewing for years. The use/development of those vacant fields went out to tender 5+ years ago. Sporting bodies had to put forward proposals for how they would be utilised.

How does a "vote of no confidence" get implemented? Grade cricket (and any cricket supporter in SA) can't sit idly by and allow this to happen.
by Tony Clifton
Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Brilliant result for Southern District against a top quality finals-proven team. Club should be very proud. Have slowly become more competitive at A Grade level for the last few years and have done it largely with a team made up of locals.
by Tony Clifton
Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Was it an Under 16 Whites draw? :D
by Tony Clifton
Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I reckon U/14 Whites is ok. It's not as obvious at that age which players will emerge as the best ones. The height/strength difference between kids aged 11-14 is enormous. Some mature early and have a huge advantage.

Once it gets to U16's though I think clubs should be starting to hone in on the standout players and make some tough calls.

D Grade goes.

A's and B's share your main ground
C's and U16's share your No 2 ground
U14 Reds and Whites share your No 3 ground.

All on turf, only 6 teams and 3 venues to manage instead of 8 teams and 4 venues.

I also think though that something like the above will be so hard to get voted in that a bit of flexibility be allowed. Those six grades should be the official SACA competition. All clubs field the same six teams. Funding is for those six teams. Umpires provided for those 6 teams. Competition administered for those 6 teams.

However if a club from a huge area is adamant that kids will be lost, social fabric of the club will be destroyed and they need more teams then they need to strike a relationship with Adelaide Turf. Field a team in the U/15 or U/17 competition, or a D Grade in one of the two day competitions if they want to.

If a grade clubs really wants to run a heap of teams then let them. Don't fight that battle. If a club wants a stream-lined six teams then great. It's the club's choice.

There will never, ever be consensus on what is the right structure so this would allow clubs the flexibility to structure themselves as they see fit.

However the official SACA competition is 6 teams, 3 venues.
by Tony Clifton
Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Pipe down oyster, geez

Tony.
DOOL the TOOL is involving himself in something that has nothing to do with him.
The SACA are trying to get rid of two clubs with over 130 years of history.
Tony - if it was your club, you also would be just as obstinate, passionate, and infuriated with how things are transpiring.
We hardly need some hard wicket hack to be involving himself in the discussion
And I am sorry about calling the Barossa cricket second rate. They only aspire to be second rate, it's really about 5th rate.
Your club has lots of country cricketers whose pathway included these "second rate" competitions you are bagging. Have some respect. Every level of cricket is important and every level plays a role.
by Tony Clifton
Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Amateur League Looking at taking over Junior Football

FOURTH ESTATE wrote:Surprise, Surprise, SANFL take over the Junior leagues and now they ban parents from the huddles. Who didn't see that coming!!!!!

Good.

Parents should sit in their deck chair and watch from a distance.
by Tony Clifton
Sat May 07, 2016 4:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Hills Cricket (HCA, TVCA & A&EH)

Well, if they're better then what's the issue?

Seems a strange position to me that the competition shouldn't go to one dayers because people will like it too much and never go back.
by Tony Clifton
Tue May 17, 2016 1:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Lots of clubs have had "just in case" preliminary merger talks

SACA can't put out a report recommending 5-6 mergers then use it against clubs if they start on some sort of contingency plan.

No club would willingly choose to merge. This is why SACA commissioned the Zadow Report I'm sure - to get the ball rolling.
by Tony Clifton
Fri May 20, 2016 8:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Only people this suits is Batsmen and owners of pubs considering how early certain games will be over when the weaker teams play the stronger teams! The discrepancy between the strong teams and weak teams will increase due to the fact the best bowlers won't be able to bowl as much, I tell you if I'm playing in a weak team and am trying to compete with a top team I'm using 3 bowlers for the day to give us the best chance. Anyone who disagrees with this is delusional and complete out of touch with the game!
Not much fun if only three people are bowling surely.

Do weaker teams regularly topple top teams in two dayers now? Would think they're more of a chance in a one dayer to be honest.

There are always going to be lopsided games regardless of the format. At least with one dayers they're over after one Saturday and you move on to new opposition. Rather than draghing it out with teams having to front up again the next week after they've already lost on Day 1.
by Tony Clifton
Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Drugs, umps and other ammo's news

I see Dylan Lockwood, who was on the list of Rosewater breaches, received a 1 match penalty for undue rough play. Is he likely to face further sanctions because he allegedly refused to the leave the ground? Also notice that Rosewater had a player suspended for 1 match on 2 July for wearing jewellery - never seen that before.
It's a crime to look fabulous?
by Tony Clifton
Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Amateur League Looking at taking over Junior Football

If they get rid of U/6's and U/7's couldn't clubs just run their own competition for those age groups internally?

Make it 6 a side, 9 a side, whatever you want. Cancel games when it's pissing with rain. Split your main oval up into 2-3 smaller ovals and play it like a carnival each week. No travel!

Mix the teams around as the season goes on so the kids/parents get to know the whole age group and get a chance to experience success.

Keep score, have premiership tables, finals, tackling(?!)... all the fun stuff.

Modbury Blue vs Modbury Green... Modbury Red vs Modbury Yellow...

But we lose massive amounts of income firstly and secondly, that doesn't satisfy the kids. We have a group of U6's who will go from a properly organised comp, to internal trials (essentially).

Err, Auskick won't allow any of the 'fun stuff' to occur. That's exactly the reason why the SANFL are stopping 6's and 7's from playing - from what I can gather.
How would you lose income? Same number of kids, not having to pay affiliation team fees or for umpires, home each week for bar/bbq revenue. You'd gain revenue if anything.

You'd have one year level of Under 6's who would go from an organised competition to an internal one. I doubt they'd care to be honest and after one year the kids won't know any different. Plus it doesn't sound as though there is going to be an organised competition for them anyway.

Auskick does ban all that fun stuff but if you're doing your own thing then the Auskick rules don't apply.

Actually imagine that a club who runs this stuff instead of whatever watered down equivalent Auskick are dishing up would attract players/parents.
by Tony Clifton
Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: BLCA 2015/2016

bennymacca wrote:Yeah great news. Not too many amateur sporting comps around that are actually growing - well not footy or cricket at least.

Just the Barossa cricket comp... and the SANFL :D
by Tony Clifton
Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SACA Board of Management Elections

Colin Murray is one of them. Ex Port Adelaide player. Currently involved down there I'm pretty sure. Good bloke, knows his cricket. Would be really good.
by Tony Clifton
Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Falling Attendances

Need to settle the program down and play a more regular timeslot.

I understand why they don't like to go head to head with Port or Adelaide AFL games but I think avoiding these clashes has led to a worse problem, which is that even the regular attendees get out of the routine of going. No one knows when the games are on.

The occasional Friday night game is fine (though not in the dead of winter...) and Anzac Day, Queen's Birthday etc but the bulk of matches should be on Saturday afternoon IMO. Or Sunday afternoon if the figures say that will deliver the best results. Either way, needs to be a regular thing.
by Tony Clifton
Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

inside word wrote:What was voted in last night roxy?

They voted in five day test matches :D
by Tony Clifton
Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PDCA 2016 - 2017

What a roller coaster ride this Eastern Park cricket season has been!
by Tony Clifton
Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Bowling Machines - the good, the bad and the ugly

From my experience the best one I reckon is the BOLA machine.

Second best is the Jugs one.

Those paceman ones are ok for kids but not much value for seniors in my opinion.

Unfortunately it's one of those 'you get what you pay for' things. Clubs can get grants to help with this though. Presumably the office for sport and recreation still offers them.

Cheaper alternative is to get a couple of those plastic slingers (like dog owners use to throw tennis balls) and teach your batters to learn how to throw with them. They can pair up and get their volume that way. You can use bowling machine balls with them too which are ultra cheap compared to cricket balls and means you don't wear out all your training balls.

The batters at our club actually prefer facing the slingers to the ball machine because it's a bit more realistic - random, have to pick up line/length.
by Tony Clifton
Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian International Summer

heater31 wrote:Seth Afrika in a spot of bother in the tour Match 3/46 against a bunch of kids with little First Class experience....

Live stream! You beauty
by Tony Clifton
Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What is happening now is that some clubs with pop gun attacks who used to prosper can no longer do so. It's a very good thing for cricket.

Clubs are being forced to uncover bowlers with genuine weapons - height, speed, skills other than just accuracy. Also spinners who genuinely give the ball a rip. I think if we look at the % of overs bowled by wrist spinners this season and compared it to 4 years ago it would have increased.

In turn that means to make runs batters will need to be able to handle facing pace and be adept at playing spin. Skills that actually translate to first class level. Batting time vs medium pacers does not translate at all.

Teams need to take wickets in the first session when the ball is new which is exactly as it should be.

The turf ball doesn't go softer quicker. It doesn't lose shape more. It's a better quality ball.

It's a good thing that bowlers who bowl at 115km/hr can no longer be successful in A Grade cricket. That was the biggest blight on our game previously. When cricketers from Sydney and Melbourne grade cricket came here it was always the first observation they made. No pace, lots of boring medium pacers compared to back home.
by Tony Clifton
Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2016/2017

RustyCage wrote:How long do we persist with Kelvin Smith?

Jake Winter is the one who has been churning out runs in grade, premier league and Futures. Will be interesting if he gets runs again in Futures tomorrow.
by Tony Clifton
Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What a bumper start to the season for Jake Winter! Was playing B Grade quite a bit last season, now selected in the CA XI to play against Pakistan.

Quite a rise in 12 months. Apparently when he played for SA's U/19 team he was the last player chosen. Squeezed into the team and then peeled off the most runs in the competition.

Can seriously play. Hopefully will see him in the Shield team soon!
by Tony Clifton
Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PDCA

Dogwatcher wrote:http://www.playfordnews.com/single-post/2016/12/05/Childs-play-for-Dylan-in-PDCA-shock

How good! Brilliant effort by the youngster
by Tony Clifton
Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Chadd Sayers

In England would be his only other chance
by Tony Clifton
Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian International Summer

Khawaja can't play spin for shit.

Drop him for India, play Renshaw and S Marsh
by Tony Clifton
Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2016/2017

The green, moist pitch might hold some fear though.

A raging seamer!
by Tony Clifton
Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Two divisions of 8 teams would be a great idea.

Spell the U/19's team. Add a club in the Barossa (Gawler probably close enough) and one at Mt Barker. Sixteenth team.... hmmm, not sure. Put the 16th position out to tender. Bump up the funding for the clubs in the top division, bump down the funding for the clubs in the second division.

Top four in each division play finals each year. Premier from Div 2 promoted, wooden spooner from Div 1 relegated.

All Redbacks, Emerging, U/19 and U/17 state squad members must play for a Div 1 club - with transfer fees involved if a player has to move from Div 2 to Div 1.

Straight away it becomes an extremely competitive environment. Dog eat dog, survival of the fittest. Scrap zones. Clubs must provide quality coaching, facilities, environments to attract players.

Juniors play in the one competition. No Div 1/Div 2 for juniors until it gets up to U/17 level.
by Tony Clifton
Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9AFL C GRADE Divisions - 2017

Great effort by North Haven to field 4 sides
by Tony Clifton
Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 6 - 2017

Elizabeth B grade are the best B grade team I have seen in the last few years across div 5 and div 6. Clearly the team to beat. Their skills moving the ball inside 50 is exceptional and considering the score in the A grade maybe a few should be playing higher?
Didn't Pulteney's reserves win the D5R flag last year while their A's got relegated?
by Tony Clifton
Mon May 22, 2017 10:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 6 - 2017

Thread starting to deliver :D
by Tony Clifton
Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australia Domestic Season 2017/18

Fair enough changes.

Good to see Spencer Johnson, Jake Winter, Daniel Drew and Lloyd Pope get rookie deals.

Good squad! This is our year.
by Tony Clifton
Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |