Search found 154 matches

Return

Re: Rumours and Player Movement Discussions for 2014

Dogwatcher wrote:Reading Twitter and it would seem a couple of Westies players very upset about the recruits the Eagles are picking up. Wondering where the money comes from.

Never mind where the money comes from, they should be more concerned about where the money goes ;)
by areaman
Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Draw

And that leads to an interesting question ... do people support a club or a competition?

From my pre-media days I certainly was more concerned about HOW my team played, rather that WHO my team played.

I no longer feel any love or joy for the SANFL and South Australian football as a whole.
I still hope my club wins but will not be supporting it financially.
So it was with raised eyebrows I received the latest email from the club (admittedly written by a CEO who was not in the chair when the fateful decision was made) reaching out to members:

"What can we do to make Glenelg supporters Glenelg Football Club members? We need to make a Glenelg Football Club membership a desired commodity. We need to provide a member with more benefits and a great experience every time they visit the facility. We need to make our members feel they have ownership of the venue (which they effectively do), so they continue to support it, win or lose, 52 weeks a year."

What can you do? You can give them a voice and listen to them when they speak.

This horse has bolted.
by Harry the Horse
Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Draw

And that leads to an interesting question ... do people support a club or a competition?

From my pre-media days I certainly was more concerned about HOW my team played, rather that WHO my team played.

Very good point.

Whilst I respect everyone can have their own views on this, my 2c is that I have supported my club for 40 years through thick and thin, by blind faith and stupidity without cause for science.

That's what most supporters do ... there is no rhyme or reason other that the love for the club.

That doesn't mean supporters should just accept the decisions made or not question them, you have every right to make your club accountable.

For what it's worth, my financial support for my club will be increasing as I'm fortunate enough to have the capacity to do so. I don't want to see my club (or any other for that matter) die.

The competition will continue and change is inevitable. Some may not like it whilst others will embrace it. There is no right or wrong.

Just a thought for those who don't like the changes to the competition. Whilst it's fine to make your thoughts known on sites like this one, the only way you can influence the decisions that are made by your club is to:
- be a member and make sure your voice is heard
- get involved in your club ... there are many ways to do this
- stand for your Board and make the sacrifices (both time and money) that these people have to make to serve your club

If I look at my club, the President made a decision which he thought was in the best interests of the club and ultimately the competition. Many have voiced their opposition to this.

It is the same president that has been responsible for employing a new CEO, a new Coach, a new Football Director, funding is available to ensure the club's financial sustainability, and facilitated an environment so that quality recruits can be attracted to the club.

My 2c is that he's done a remarkable job in the short time he's been in the role.

I guess time will tell whether his actions bring success to the club on and off the field.
by dedja
Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Oldest Current SANFL League Side

We[l well Wedgie you have opened up a can of worms with the way you worded your question and I have given this more thought your list is wrong the Crows and Power Reserves/Seconds sides are technically not SANFL sides because these sides consist of AFL players.
by Apachebulldog
Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Crows Disgrace

It's just a jumper.

Personally I think it's a poor choice but who cares.

It is the design or colours causing the angst?
by areaman
Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Eagles 2014

Grocke has currently played two internal trials and looks like getting up for the first match.
Von Bertouch has been flying in trials and has great football instincts.
Improvements from Batley, Martyn, Poole and Appleton will significantly improve the onball running division.
Sumner lost confidence in his game when Heath took over the floating backman roll and was then unsure of his role, this should be now rectified.
Lachy MacGregor has been training well and looks fit, he could be a surprise pocket rocket.
Culley is still over coming last seasons injury where he ripped the hamstring off the bone don't know how far off he is.
Hope some players from the last two U18 premierships can step up and put pressure on the first 21.

Main areas of weakness are in ruck and lack of height in the back lines.
Unsure where our likely finish will be.
by ferret
Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Reserves Round 1 / League Trial Games

smac wrote:Who cares about reserves?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Adelaide and Port?
by MightyEagles
Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Rnd 4 – Eagles v Sturt – Post game

Eagles 17.11 113
Sturt 15.17 107

One of the best games of footy I have been to in ages. Great sunny conditions, no wind and a cracking game of footy played by two teams with more emphasis on scoring rather than restricting.

Eagles got out to a reasonable 5 goal margin early in the third but Sturt never looked like a team who were out of the match. Both sides had no trouble having shots on goal except while the Eagles were landing their opportunities, Sturt were a bit wasteful.

Sturt were always going to come back but I was confident the eagles would keep their noses in front throughout. I was less confident after Sturt hit the front and with a large vocal home supporter based I expected them to keep on pushing ahead. Eagles dug deep and were able to scrap their way to a win in the large quarter. All in all a very entertaining game.

I didn’t think there was any standout for the eagles as all did their job. Powell had one of his better games, Poole was really good in the last half. Wundke played his best game for the club. Batley gave lots of rebound from the backlines including probably the goal of the day after his run from half back. Goldsworthy also played his best game for the season and Bornholm gave his all in ruck despite being beaten by Kurtze.
A couple of glaring things though that the eagles need to consider.

Sumner and Jarrad are pure fielders yet Godden is determined they be seen as defenders. This works ok when the game is being played on our terms but when the tide is against us they are both liabilities down back for their inability to defend, lack of defensive mindset and obvious dislike of any body contact. If the ball is brought in quickly to a contest involving either of them, their opponent usually wins. On three times throughout the match Jarrad was soundly beaten as he has clearly no idea how to spoil. This almost cost the match. They should be both played on the wing and on the half back line as an absolute minimum.

The other thing we need to be careful of is that we are carrying about 4 guys who appear to be on verge of (if not already) overweight for a footy player. Incredible really. Makes me wonder whether the conditioning coach got us fit over the pre-season. Will be interesting how we fare against quick teams on big playing decks.
by Mr Fuller
Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 5 - South v Eagles @ Hickinbotham (Sun 4/5)

Eagles have a terrific record at Hickinbotham and will go there with confidence. South look much grittier and purposeful than in recent years and it should be a top game. Record crowd v Eags @ Hickinbotham Phil?
by wedgetail
Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Is anyone going to bring pies for Wundke, a nightlight for Ainger and a dummy for Boyd...... ;)

I guess you can look at it two ways.

These blokes all chose to leave either to seek greater opportunities elsewhere, or they simply wanted to leave South Adelaide. South fans might want to consider the latter and why.Either way, can you blame them?

Should be a good game with the Eagles best placed I would think to unrest the league leaders. Good forward line those Eagles have.

WWT by 22 points.
by Booney
Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'll take a great bit of pride out of the weekends game if we can take the W away from Noarlunga. Awful lot of haters of Ainger, Boyd and Wundke out there. But the question has to be asked - why did they leave. Look after your own backyard and maybe your players will want to stay and play for your club. Don't blame the Eagles because they wanted to leave.
by eaglehaslanded
Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

And you guys got Ronnie's love child with two first names - Nathan Daniel or Daniel Nathan maybe.
I know which 3 I'd rather have. Not forgetting our Jack Oatey medallist either.
Can we expect another spray from your Finance Director at our quarter time huddle this year?
by Eagles Nest
Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Eagles have won 8 of the last 10 between the 2 sides including the past 4

Past 5 encounters

WWT 18.5 (113) vs SA 6.9 (45) margin: 68
SA 4.9 (33) vs WWT 11.6 (72) margin: 39
WWT 23.19 (157) vs SA 6.7 (43) margin: 114
WWT 8.11 (59) vs SA 12.6 (78) margin: 19
SA 8.9 (57) WWT 13.5 (83) margin: 26
by eaglehaslanded
Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'll take a great bit of pride out of the weekends game if we can take the W away from Noarlunga. Awful lot of haters of Ainger, Boyd and Wundke out there. But the question has to be asked - why did they leave. Look after your own backyard and maybe your players will want to stay and play for your club. Don't blame the Eagles because they wanted to leave.

I think you will find it is "how they left the club" that has pi$$ed off South supporters (and trust me ...we have a right to be pi$$ed!) :evil:

In the case of Wundke, didn't he leave the club for exactly the same reason that he came to the club?

Pretty sure that is how Parry came to be as South as well.

Eagles recruiting Boyd had nothing to do with South Adelaide
by Mr Fuller
Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think you will find it is "how they left the club" that has pi$$ed off South supporters (and trust me ...we have a right to be pi$$ed!) :evil:

In the case of Wundke, didn't he leave the club for exactly the same reason that he came to the club?
by robranisgod
Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wow, already 3 pages on Wednesday morning for an Eagles v South pre game discussion.

Would have been lucky to have 3 posts by now for some of our previous clashes.

Good for the comp that South and their fans are up and about.

Bring on Sunday.
by areaman
Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: South Adelaide - more adaptable to change than a virus

Faark them, what's this second team bullshit.

Who the faark has a second team FFS.

play on ...
by dedja
Thu May 01, 2014 8:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R5 - South V WWT Eagles Post Match

Excellent win once again to the Eagles. 4 goals down at half time, the Eagles kicked 6 to nothing to take the lead at 3/4 time. Then down by 7 points closing in on time on in the last with South having all the play. A period of about 2 minutes was filled with ball ups in the South attacking 50. Finally the Eagles broke clear and Wundke kicked the two winners in time on.

South playing a completely different brand of football. Occasionally loading up with 8 defenders. A little like West under Collins, but they have a quality target in Eddy. He had 5 goals to half time, but Giuffreida kept him goalless in the last half. Lots of chipping around by South when on occasions being more direct would've harmed the Eagles more. When it comes off though they look a quality outfit.

Great games by Jarrad and Powell and Wundke ending up being the match winner, backing up his good form vs Sturt. Probably another get out of jail win, but that'll do at this time of year.
by Aerie
Sun May 04, 2014 7:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

R5 - South V WWT Eagles Post Match

Full Time

South Adelaide 11.9 75
Eagles 13.7 85

http://www.sanfl.com.au/livestats/match5/
by Dutchy
Sun May 04, 2014 7:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Must say if there was a positive out of the day was to hear the South supporters give it most of the day to Wundke Boyd & Ainger ....

Especially going down the race after the game. Wundke looked very uncomfortable with head down ... While Ainger gave a smile :)

Boyd was beaten all day by Veide !

Big chants and shouts of "show me the money !" and "who ate all the pies!" :lol:

We will take the loss but we will be back with a vengeance next week :)

Good effort with no bench and injured players on the field (Achee , Cross).....

If I was a eagle supporter I would not be gloating about today's win by any means .

Wundke is a big boy no doubt. Was ordinary first couple of weeks but has showed his value in the last two games. Great to have a full-forward who is a reliable kick for goal for a change!

Eagles are certainly not gloating and will take any win they can get given we are missing a host of regular senior players who will hopefully be right to go next time we play South.
by Mr Fuller
Sun May 04, 2014 10:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Panther Pack wrote:If I were a Eagles supporter id be disappointed that with 3 extra players fit they only just got over the line.

I'm inconsolable.
by areaman
Mon May 05, 2014 10:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's May, it's cold and South lose to the Eagles at Noarlunga. No different to any other season really.
by Eagles Nest
Mon May 05, 2014 2:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 7 - live scores , results & what's gone down.

Viney gets two games yet Glass jumps into Wingard and no case to answer

Viney braced for impact to protect himself
Glass chose to leave the ground

The game is rooted
by mighty_tiger_79
Tue May 06, 2014 8:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 8 - Norwood v Eagles - Post Match

fester69 wrote:Could not beat the 24.
Blatant cheating umpires, and I don't like blaming umpires.
And next time the Hybrids recruit more supporters stay away from Bedford.

That's one quality cry baby post right there.
by Booney
Sat May 24, 2014 9:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Season starting favourites have really fallen off their purch!! :lol:
by NO-MERCY
Sat May 24, 2014 9:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Maybe this thread should be renamed the Post Match Dummy Spit.

On behalf of the Eagles I apologise for not being an undisciplined team that gives away copious amounts of free kicks.

Still searching for that rule that says the free kick count must be even.

Five goals in a row in the 3rd quarter proved decisive.
by areaman
Sat May 24, 2014 10:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Was there a field invasion when Luke Powell kicked his 50th career goal?
by RB
Sat May 24, 2014 10:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wedgie wrote:Eagles 11.9 75
Norwood 10.12 72

Frees:
Eagles 19
Norwood 12

James Allan the leading disposal getter with 25.

A lot closer free kick count than when we played them In Round One when it was 27 frees to 12!!
The Eags are obviously playing in front and not giving away silly free kicks.
Cheers
by bulldogproud2
Sat May 24, 2014 11:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Look I wasn't there, but anytime you have more scoring shots surely you have to blame your own mob first and foremost. We got closer than I expected but still disappointing to lose from a winnable position
Was thinking the very same JK
Easy to blame the Umps, but bad kicking is bad footy.
Got to admit the Legs were much closer than I thought they'd be.

JA top of the list for disposals. How effective is he these days?

Different to what you would have been used to at North Johnny .. His role is designed to be less racking up big numbers of disposals, but looking for better quality and accumulating them in better positions.

Looks to have lost a bit of penetration on his kick, but his workrate appears to be of a high standard still.

Interesting reading reviews from both sets of supporters seems to indicate Norwood played well and if not for missed chances may have been able to snatch the result - the flip side and perhaps most importantly is that the Eagles appeared to be below their best yet still got the points. Always an important quality in a legitimate contender.
by JK
Sat May 24, 2014 5:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 8 - South v Crows Reserves - Post match

Jim05 wrote:
grant j wrote:Interesting that the Crows have only defeated the 2 Clubs that voted NO

Coincidence???

That was one of honest Joes concessions.
The Cows can never beat Norwood and his company gets the contract to build any new Cows facility

Starting to get old and boring, build a bridge.
by fester69
Sun May 25, 2014 6:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 8 - South v Crows Reserves - Post match

Tend to agree with Fester on this one.

Some of the claims here are starting to get quite fanciful.

How long does the 'Crows can never beat Norwood' agreement last for?

Forever is a long time. Whilst Tripodi is still in business? Packard is still running his companies?

What happens when everyone complicit in this said 'agreement' are long gone, what happens then?

Perhaps the CIA did murder JFK after all, man never landed on the moon, and the US accidentally shot down MH370 and are covering it up?

Anyway, back to the thread.

Surprising result given recent form but then again with the Crows we always suspected that results will be very up and down.

South have been great so far but its a long season. Time will tell whether they have the stamina to last the distance. Slip up and there are a few side breathing down their neck to take their spot in the 5.
by dedja
Sun May 25, 2014 6:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Even with a reasonably small crowd, that was the most hostile I've seen fans get towards the umpires at the parade (and rightly so).
Easily the most hostile?

Seems any time we've won at the Parade I've noticed how feral your mob get towards the umps!

Gotta blame someone.....

LOL .. C'mon mate, your clubs aren't that great
by JK
Fri May 30, 2014 1:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 13 - Eagles v Norwood @ MThiem Hyundai Oval (Sat 1

One team benefited greatly with the umpiring
One team had the only use of a breeze in the match
One team scored all the goals after half time
That team won the game

Given that most of the appalling decisions against Norwood were in the First half
Given that both sides had no wind advantage factor after half time
Given that the umpiring was baffling for both sides in the 2nd half
Given that Norwood ends up 24 points up at half time
I still have to give full credit to Woodville West Torrens for a great 2nd half , and victory
by mal
Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rd 15 - Eagles v Adelaide, Sun Aug 3 @ MTH Oval, Woodvil

I don't care how they do it and who it is against, the Eagles just have to win! Just do the simple things - loud voice, stick the tackles, attack the ball, run hard. Eagles probably have to win 3 out of 4 to finish top 3 - possibly all 4 - so a must win game.
by Aerie
Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SANFL Finals Predictions.

I'm sure Big Phil will do threads for each games but for the time being I'm interested to see how posters think the finals will pan out starting with what should be a good night at AO next Saturday.

It would be good if we could avoid negatives on this thread and just talk about the footy and the predictions.

Eagles by 1-12
Norwood 13-24.
by wristwatcher
Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Finals Predictions.

Jim05 wrote:I predict that the umpires are the 3 BOG's for the Eagles this week again. Im sure they will try their hardest to get them over the line, hopefully South can get the job done against the odds

Let it go , its going to eat away and kill you if you don't. Plus its becoming monotonous.
by once_were_warriors
Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Elimination Final - South v Eagles @ AO (Sat N 30/8)

Great to see Rowntree back in the side. He is just getting in some match practise so he'll be cherry ripe for the Grand Final.
by Aerie
Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Live Scores - Week 1 2014 Finals

Yep, I've selected a pie over the BBQ at Richmond...
by am Bays
Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Vale Mighty Eagles

Mighty Eagles
Chatted with the man several times at Adelaide Oval cricket games and at Woodville Oval games
For a long time I would greet him , without him knowing who I was on Safooty
He would ask how I knew him as Mighty Eagles
About a year ago , I let him know who I was

A most pleasant and polite person
Goodonya Jamie for being a swell bloke
by mal
Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R u to b a member of ur favourite SANFL club in 2015?

I wonder how long some people are going to keep using this site even though they claim to no longer have an interest in SANFL footy. I guess adapting to change can be challenging for some.
by Tassie Blues
Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Godden Steps Down as State Coach

saintal wrote:The new appointment should be somebody not currently coaching an SANFL team.

Also someone who lives and breathes SANFL and supports maintaining its independence from the AFL.

Good on Godden for having the courage to resign from the position to fully focus on his club.
by Mr Fuller
Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 Retirements & 2015 Player Movement Discussions

Luke Thompson (formerly Adelaide Crows) and Fraser Thurlow (formerly Essendon rookie list) have officially signed with the Eagles.
by Hopeful Jelly
Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re:

From Eagles Twitter;

Contrary to reports there has been no agreement reached between Petrenko, WWTFC and the Bombers. We will keep you updated ‪#‎wwtfc‬
by PhilH
Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Premiership Odds SANFL 2015

Get over it mate

Eagles looking in good shape, but still wouldnt have them on the second line of betting with Norwood. Norwood would have to be faves, Adelaide Reserves are no sniff at all, they should be bottom 3.. Sturt are looking alright and I think they are overs on that market
by human_torpedo
Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 3 - live scores and waffle

We were deplorable and clearly the club was already thinking about Friday night against the AFL. However.... Credit where credit is due, the Eagles smashed us in every area, mentally, physically, scoreboard etc etc.

Well done Eagles, you deserved it.
by leggies
Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 4 - Central v Eagles @ Playford Alive (Sat 25/4)

Did the Eagles get numbers back then counter into open space? (ie, the same manner they dismantled us last week)

Yep, and took the piss in doing so. You guys did similar but not as good as the Eagles. Very impressed with them and a good brand of footy to watch. Also a good turn out of Eagles supporters. Well done to the club, hard working as usual.
by wild dog
Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 4 - Central v Eagles @ Playford Alive (Sat 25/4)

Mondays are always better when the Eagles win because the usual Eagles fans who seem to live to berate Goddsy and the playing group are no where to be seen.. Its refreshing
by human_torpedo
Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 5 - Port v Eagles @ Alberton (Sat 2/5)

LefevreWoodvilleWestTorrensParalowie by 24 pts.
by wild dog
Fri May 01, 2015 12:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 5 - Live Scores and waffle

More importantly did the Eagles supporters point out the scoreboard to him?
by Jim05
Sat May 02, 2015 6:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |