Search found 245 matches

Return

Re: Rumours and Player Movement Discussions for 2014

mr fuller, you criticise the Eagles for recruiting/poaching players from other clubs, then you criticise the club again for trying to develop juniors what in bloody hells name do want the club to do, go dig up a few from a spud patch!!!!!! I don't think the Eagles went about poaching in the case of Wundke, he let it be well known he didn't want to stay at south, the club would have been negligent if they hadn't approached him. Just get the chip of your shoulder and have faith in the club.
by ferret
Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Eagles 2014

Grocke has currently played two internal trials and looks like getting up for the first match.
Von Bertouch has been flying in trials and has great football instincts.
Improvements from Batley, Martyn, Poole and Appleton will significantly improve the onball running division.
Sumner lost confidence in his game when Heath took over the floating backman roll and was then unsure of his role, this should be now rectified.
Lachy MacGregor has been training well and looks fit, he could be a surprise pocket rocket.
Culley is still over coming last seasons injury where he ripped the hamstring off the bone don't know how far off he is.
Hope some players from the last two U18 premierships can step up and put pressure on the first 21.

Main areas of weakness are in ruck and lack of height in the back lines.
Unsure where our likely finish will be.
by ferret
Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R5 - South V WWT Eagles Post Match

Excellent win once again to the Eagles. 4 goals down at half time, the Eagles kicked 6 to nothing to take the lead at 3/4 time. Then down by 7 points closing in on time on in the last with South having all the play. A period of about 2 minutes was filled with ball ups in the South attacking 50. Finally the Eagles broke clear and Wundke kicked the two winners in time on.

South playing a completely different brand of football. Occasionally loading up with 8 defenders. A little like West under Collins, but they have a quality target in Eddy. He had 5 goals to half time, but Giuffreida kept him goalless in the last half. Lots of chipping around by South when on occasions being more direct would've harmed the Eagles more. When it comes off though they look a quality outfit.

Great games by Jarrad and Powell and Wundke ending up being the match winner, backing up his good form vs Sturt. Probably another get out of jail win, but that'll do at this time of year.
by Aerie
Sun May 04, 2014 7:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Must say if there was a positive out of the day was to hear the South supporters give it most of the day to Wundke Boyd & Ainger ....

Especially going down the race after the game. Wundke looked very uncomfortable with head down ... While Ainger gave a smile :)

Boyd was beaten all day by Veide !

Big chants and shouts of "show me the money !" and "who ate all the pies!" :lol:

We will take the loss but we will be back with a vengeance next week :)

Good effort with no bench and injured players on the field (Achee , Cross).....

If I was a eagle supporter I would not be gloating about today's win by any means .

Wundke is a big boy no doubt. Was ordinary first couple of weeks but has showed his value in the last two games. Great to have a full-forward who is a reliable kick for goal for a change!

Eagles are certainly not gloating and will take any win they can get given we are missing a host of regular senior players who will hopefully be right to go next time we play South.
by Mr Fuller
Sun May 04, 2014 10:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Panther Pack wrote:If I were a Eagles supporter id be disappointed that with 3 extra players fit they only just got over the line.

I'm inconsolable.
by areaman
Mon May 05, 2014 10:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 7 - Eagles v North @ M.Thiem Hyundai Oval (Sat 17/

Were there any goal square controversies this year, I heard Ainger got a 2 goals for 1 deal early.
by Jackal
Mon May 19, 2014 1:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Reallocation of boundaries

The writing was on the wall when Slaven lead the charge for AFL teams to come in to the competition. This scenario should have been dealt with when we voted yes. i.e. We'll vote yes, but you need to guarantee us Henley Beach when the zones are redistributed.

My biggest concern over the entry of the two AFL clubs, which I mentioned on that "Info night", was the Eagles losing Henley Beach and gaining Port Adelaide territory. Who in Port Adelaide is going to support another SANFL club, with both Port Power in the AFL and Port Power Reserves still playing in the SANFL?

It will be a massive loss for the Eagles. Thebarton was lost at the last rezoning two years ago and if this area is lost it is essentially Woodville/Port Adelaide.

Eagles should give up everything east of South Road, everything north of Torrens Road and gain everything south-west of Port Road and the bit of land between the coast and the river up to Outer Harbour. Even give up everything south of the River Torrens if need be.
by Aerie
Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 12 - Norwood v Central District - Post Game

REBUILDINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
by legsman
Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rd 15 - Eagles v Adelaide, Sun Aug 3 @ MTH Oval, Woodvil

I don't care how they do it and who it is against, the Eagles just have to win! Just do the simple things - loud voice, stick the tackles, attack the ball, run hard. Eagles probably have to win 3 out of 4 to finish top 3 - possibly all 4 - so a must win game.
by Aerie
Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R16 Eagles v South @ Maughan Theim Hyundai Oval 9/8/14

A great win for the club against "The combine".. I thought we showed some real grit getting over the line today against some good opposition and some of the most lame, inept, incompetent and deplorable umpiring Ive seen in 50 years watching the sanfl.

We were in control at halftime but the weagles managed to claw themselves back into the game particularly in the last quarter but our resolve and desire got us over the line in the end. All played well but, I thought Crabb, Fields and Thewlis were fantastic in the back half along with Rose, Liddle , Veide.and Cross.

Thanks very much to WWT for keeping Ainger in for one last try... probably in the faint hope that he would show some backbone against the club he betrayed... despite the fact he managed 1 goal..he was a great asset for us, kicking the ball directly to former team mates regularly.

Wundke, a former Ken Farmer medalist was soundly thrashed by perennial Panther favourite Brad Crabb, who has stayed with the club through some of its darkest times, (on a modest salary Id assume..) and is now enjoying some modicom of success. Boyd of course was his usual busy self, racking up meaningless possession after meaningless possession, few of them earnt . I do note that his direct opponent for most of the day , Darth Veide, managed to get forward a few times and kick a couple of goals, which in the context of the game was important.

bring on the Bloods , Go Panthers! :evil:

Ainger betrayed you :shock: You sir are a dickhead. He was not from the South Adelaide zone

You recruited him and he gave you great service and then left your club for a multitude of reasons. Supporters like you was probably one of those reasons.

If you worked for a shit company and another company offered you twice as much money, was 30 minutes closer to your home and offered you an opportunity for success and career advancement would you consider changing employers???
by wristwatcher
Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Eagles Luke Powell & Adam Grocke Retire

As an opposition supporter, it was difficult to dislike Powell.
by saintal
Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 18 - Eagles v West @ MT Hyundia Oval (Sat 23/8)

Powell and Grocke to retire at seasons end.

Both premiership players in 2006 and 2011 and Powell Club Champion in 2008 and skipper 2012-2014.

Powell has been the back bone and grunt of the side for a long time. Always at the bottom of the pack and as courageous as they come. His performances in big games - especially the 2011 Grand Final - will have him down as a player Eagles supporters will always admire and talk about well after he is gone. He came around the same time as McKenzie and with him, saw that the Eagles threw off the gorilla that was on their back, i.e. beating Central in a GF. He has still been effective in a midfield that has seen a changing of the guard over the last few years.

Grocke circa 2006-2011 was sensational. Along with Jarrad who came in at the same time, added an extra dimension to the Eagles to carry them that extra mile to a premiership. He's probably been talked up more in the last few years as a player - but was extremely effective as soon as he came to the Eagles - generally playing up the field more under Fuller as a roaming CHF and then closer to goal under Godden in 2010 and 2011. His athleticism and strength was his real weapon and his body caught up with him by 2012. An achillies injury in 2013 and suspension this season see him end his career in a disappointing way, but has been a very good player and a great player to watch over the years.

Well done to both on great careers at the Eagles.
by Aerie
Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Elimination Final - South v Eagles @ AO (Sat N 30/8)

As a neutral observer this has a bit of "team of champions" vs "champion team" about it, particularly interesting that A couple of ex-panthers are as critical to the outcome as anyone else. (Team of better than average vs better than average team?)

South have developed a better system than Eagles and getting more out of their bottom 10 players. Eagles have still got some absolute match winners and their forwards of Grocke, Ainger, Wundke, Mcgregor could blow the game wide open. South have some top shelf players in Brooksby, Cross, Liddle, Eddy too, but not sure any of them are In the "win the game off your own boot out of nothing" category.

South have been better team and more consistent over last two months, Eagles still capable of one out of the box. Good neutral viewing I reckon.
by SANFLnut
Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Tough pressure game as expected in finals, thought Eagles tried to suck in some youthful South boys with a bit of push n shove which at times worked in their favour. Great to see plenty of blue and white in the crowd and one of the biggest and loudest South cheer squads seen for some time, well done guys. Felt Sturt should have beaten the Norwood so another toughie coming up. Well done to the South players for their respect shown at the end of the game to retiring Eagles players, that's what sport is about.
by darley16
Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Templeton was a positive. McGregor was a good pick up. Thought Ainger actually did ok in terms of presenting. Just struggles if he doesn't mark it. I think two talls is enough, so don't need to replace Grocke as such, but need a mobile Westbrook/Inkster/Treeby type as 3rd target.

Ruck and midfield speed is the most obvious problem to fix. Simply won't get anywhere with current rucks. Borholm showed no improvement as year went on and is handy back up at best.

Accountability and desperation missing. It needs to be decided if Godden can get this back in to the playing group, although it really should be player driven.

Hall, Goldsworthy, Appleton, Batley etc. will decide if this Eagles team will be a strength or whether it slips.

If Ainger/Wundke/Boyd attitude not first class then make the call to cut losses and build again.

2011 was a once off miracle that is pretty hard to replicate. Eagles need to lay foundations again and be patient, either with or without Godden in charge.
by Aerie
Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Reflecting on some of the comments here re the Eagles, I would wonder how many times in the last 15 years that they have missed the SANFL finals? I would suspect not very often if not at all! They have been a very strong club over a long period of time not unlike Central District who have also seen success over a similar time span.

WWT still managed to make the finals once again this season and there is no real suggestion that they will not be there next season.

I can understand the frustrations of West Torrens people about the club losing traditional areas to West Adelaide. Yet I put it to you that the SANFL worked hard to ensure that the areas around the SANFL clubs home grounds would be retained. History shows that WWT chose Woodville over Thebarton and moved the club in that direction, along those lines giving WWT traditional Port Adelaide territory makes more sense than allocating it to West Adelaide who have no connection there whereas Woodville very much does.

As for Godden, not many clubs would sack a coach that took their league side into the finals, I suspect that he would be given another season based on this year's performance.

My concern for WWT is not unlike some of the other SANFL clubs and that is the state of the books and how they stand in relation to the promises made to them by the AFC and PAFC in terms of increased income streams? Sacking coaches, getting the best players out of the VFL and so forth comes back to that issue. I hope that WWT have been able to break even this season, I recall that plans to renovate the club and expand the training facilities have been put on hold due to financial issues. It is my observation that this problem if it is a problem is the one that has the potential to do the club real damage as opposed to recruiting and coaching staff.
by Sojourner
Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Reflecting on some of the comments here re the Eagles, I would wonder how many times in the last 15 years that they have missed the SANFL finals? I would suspect not very often if not at all! They have been a very strong club over a long period of time not unlike Central District who have also seen success over a similar time span.

WWT still managed to make the finals once again this season and there is no real suggestion that they will not be there next season.

I can understand the frustrations of West Torrens people about the club losing traditional areas to West Adelaide. Yet I put it to you that the SANFL worked hard to ensure that the areas around the SANFL clubs home grounds would be retained. History shows that WWT chose Woodville over Thebarton and moved the club in that direction, along those lines giving WWT traditional Port Adelaide territory makes more sense than allocating it to West Adelaide who have no connection there whereas Woodville very much does.

As for Godden, not many clubs would sack a coach that took their league side into the finals, I suspect that he would be given another season based on this year's performance.

My concern for WWT is not unlike some of the other SANFL clubs and that is the state of the books and how they stand in relation to the promises made to them by the AFC and PAFC in terms of increased income streams? Sacking coaches, getting the best players out of the VFL and so forth comes back to that issue. I hope that WWT have been able to break even this season, I recall that plans to renovate the club and expand the training facilities have been put on hold due to financial issues. It is my observation that this problem if it is a problem is the one that has the potential to do the club real damage as opposed to recruiting and coaching staff.

Good post Sojourner.
Some of the issues that have been raised have been discussed here since Fuller was there, especially speed through the midfield.
Our recruiting over the last couple of years has been "all-in" and to not deliver, especially this year, has to be judged a failure, both on and off field IMO.
Recently we've gone towards the big names in recruiting and recycling average league footballers, whereas before that we seemed to recruit players with better character either from interstate or capable players not getting a league game eg Grocke. This served us and Centrals well, and, to give Fuller his due, is something he tried to bring to South, and it appears to now be bearing results.

Sure, a lot of clubs would have like to have our last 15 years, but it seems to me sometimes clubs live off the memories of certain momentous flags and occasions, eg Sturt's '76 flag up until 2002, Norwood's 1984 flag right up until the last couple of years (even despite their 1997 win), Glenelg back-to-back, the Eagles 1993 flag (which was why finally winning in '06 was great). In all this time Port and Centrals just got on with the business of winning again and again. Our 2011 flag was deservedly recognized as a great win, but we can't live off that day any longer.
by FlyingHigh
Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 SANFL GRAND FINAL NORWOOD V PA RESERVES

Booney wrote:
Big weekend for Port Adelaide supporters, preliminary final and Grand Final in one weekend!

And the saddest thing is all of the players training at Alberton this week will be wanting to play in a Prelim not a SANFL Grand FInal...
by Dutchy
Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 Retirements & 2015 Player Movement Discussions

I fear the rookie draft more than the main draft because it totally wastes a player from the SANFL club.
Any one taken in the main draft I am happy for but the rookie draft .......... :(
by SDK
Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You have already posted this before why keep harping about it. We get the message that you don't rate him.
What's he supposed to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!FWa
by ferret
Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Will be a more than handy player at SANFL level.
by saintal
Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yes agree Ferrett, Petrenko will be a very good addition for the Eagles, when he came back to us previously he was always amongst our better players.
76 AFL games aint no flash in the pan, although he never really looked set at that level.
by Jackal
Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Speak for yourself Mickyj.

Fuller and Godden are premiership coaches. Fuller got a more consistent performance from the team. Godden seems to do all the right things and pulled off that incredible premiership in 2011, but hasn't won a final since.

At the moment, Fuller is still the most successful coach the Eagles (inc WT) have ever had. His record demands respect.
by Aerie
Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 4 - Central v Eagles @ Playford Alive (Sat 25/4)

Did the Eagles get numbers back then counter into open space? (ie, the same manner they dismantled us last week)

Yep, and took the piss in doing so. You guys did similar but not as good as the Eagles. Very impressed with them and a good brand of footy to watch. Also a good turn out of Eagles supporters. Well done to the club, hard working as usual.
by wild dog
Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Eagles win the first northern derby! Home game next week at Alberton!
by Aerie
Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Great to see the Eagles' persistence with some of their former juniors now paying dividends. Although some/many thought they should have been shelved the fruit is now bearing. Although not stars at underage levels a good grounding at reserves level has proved successful. Friendships and bondings formed by playing together for numerous years brings great spirit vital for a successful team.
Much criticised Sam Martyn was not bought up in an AFL type environment hence has does not look like a fluid smooth moving footballer, but his gut running from start to finish wins out for him. Must be persisted with.
Godden in the off season has obviously put a lot of planning into the game plan and his relationship with the players. Both having a significant effect.
The use of Goldsworthy and Jarrad coming out of defence has been devastating and sets up many opportunities.
Lachy McGregor has shown the benefit of a second league preseason and has shown form that must put him in contention for a state berth.
Huge test next week as the Eagles have not yet beaten a Crows or power reserve team.
by ferret
Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Mr Fuller you are an absolute pain in the arse supporter, always negative and critical.
Supporters were always critical when we lost our best juniors to the draft. Now we try and develop the next tier down to provide the club with long term rewards, you still complain that it's taking too long. If they are not the cream of the crop they will always take longer to develop.
Tom Schwartz was given the clubs best player award against Norwood.
Angus Poole has been great in all three games, provides something the club has lacked at ground level for some time. Our small ground level players in Boyd, McGregor and Poole have added a different and exciting element to our game plan. Also, Poole is a very accurate kick for goal.
To make knowledgeable and informed comments you should regularly watch both reserves and league matches throughout the year.
by ferret
Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 5 - Port v Eagles @ Alberton (Sat 2/5)

A great team game by the Eagles yesterday. No really outstanding individuals. A team effort where every player did their bit and followed the game plan. The first half was a war of attrition to see who would crack first, the Eagles appeared to be wilting ten minutes from half time and a couple of goals to the power reserves seemed to give them a lift which should have given them the confidence to kill off the Eagles in the second half, along with their supposed superior AFL fitness. A positive attitude from the Eagles after half time and the willingness to a chance proved decisive.
When the power fell behind their lack of guts to take chances made it easy for the Eagles to close out the game.
Although the stats suggest that maybe the power were the better team the more direct play and the chance taking made it all obvious to those watching that the Eagles deserved to win.
The Eagles have now beaten the two grand finalists from last year.
Was the poor performance against West Adelaide the waking up call they needed.
It appears some intensive work in the off season on a completely different game plan, bridge mending, regaining the players confidence in him and giving a few local former juniors a chance is paying off handsomely for Godden.
by ferret
Sun May 03, 2015 9:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The 2015 Attendance Comparisons Thread

Spelly, would you happen to have average attendance figures for Port H&A games over say the last 5 years, up til now?

I'm going to hasten a guess it has not dropped as much as the over all attendances have. Purely a guess.

At the risk of ridicule & whilst it is true that I am no English Teacher, isn't the term "... hazard a guess"?
Unless of course you are making a 'quick' guess, perhaps?

Hasten a guess is a good term to use to describe the decision to admit Reserves sides into the comp.
by Aerie
Tue May 05, 2015 10:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 9 - South v Eagles @ Hickinbotham Oval (Mon 8/6)

Here we go again. It appears Ramrods assessment of Lachy McGregor was made on one game.
He has been a revelation to the Eagles attack. In eight games this year he has kicked 21 goals (3,3,4,2,2,4,0 and 3). He only plays forward and with three talls playing regularly up forward for the Eagles he has to use plenty of smarts to get his goals. His run down tackling of unwary defenders is sensational. His hands are very good, rarely fumbles and can take a high grab. He is an excellent kick for goal. Other great attributes are his reading of the ball off hands and his positioning to gather the crumbs. His ability to play one out from the goal square gives the coach more attacking options. McGregor has only played 34 league games, in terms of a SANFL league player he is not very experienced yet has performed extremely consistently this season. The match Vs Sturt was his poorest game by far but conditions on that day were very poor. Eagles won 6 goals to 3. He played in the state match against WA so he must have been impressing someone. Give the fellow a break. When you can get to watch a dynamic small forward why knock him.
I can assure you, ALL Eagles fans love him.
by ferret
Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just looking through my medical journal and it is what I thought. Ramrod is displaying the classic long term effects of having worn lycra playing football. I hope NFC have a support system in place for these players.

I've got an idea, why not use a pic as a dart board! That's a good way to release some emotion!

Here's one from the weekend you can use, ramrod!

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/379/18643157606_a3c5e40532_z.jpg

And don't worry about the psychologist fees, I bulk bill!
by spell_check
Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

McGregor - must be a personal vendetta. He is very friendly and level headed around the club and interacts with our supporters very well. Move on.
by Jackal
Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R10 West v Port @ Richmond

Brodlach wrote:
blood bath wrote:Tuck and Green late omissions for west, joining Nelson and Ezard as outs from last week.

Johnson and Hampton to debut with Newell playing his first game for the year

Must be missing at least 12 first choice players today

Port have at least 22 first choice players missing every week
by mal
Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R11: Eagles v Centrals - Saturday 27 June @ MTO

Only thing being knocked down a peg around here is your credibility after each post champ..

Guess thats the great thing about such a forum. No one has a clue who i am. I'd have a chat with him when he matches what i did in my career. Until then, he is just an insignificant Midget with little man syndrome

The great thing about that is that we at least know what McGregor puts on the park each week.

Given that we have no idea who you are or "what you did in your career", we have the freedom to conclude your post likens that of a keyboard warrior with an inferiority complex.
by valleys07
Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well done to Jarrad on 200 games. Very consistent player.
by saintal
Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Congratulations to Luke Jarrad btw. A player that frustrates opposition supporters by rarely getting caught with the ball, then covering plenty of ground before invariably rarely missing a target. I would have gladly had him at the Parade. Been a great contributor to his club and competition.
by JK
Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This is what a game thread should be like.

I'm all for a bit of banter. i have got into trouble from the Moderators in regards to my comments about a certain player, which i find interesting surely i can have an opinion on a sanfl footballer? Looks like i'll have to just criticise him about his football ability and not have personal attacks at him. I still have a lot of Ammo in regards to his abilty. So eagles fans it looks like you will have to deal with me for a bit longer.
You're welcome to an opinion and nothing was deleted but when you go in about the same player saying the same thing a hundred times I step in.
I'm sure most appreciated it and were as tired/bored of your opinion as I was.
by Wedgie
Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R13: Sturt v Eagles - Saturday 11 July @ Unley

Eagles by 3 goals.

Nostradamus!
James Boyd ruptured his groin Wed night at training. Best case scenario will be 6-8 weeks but according to the man himself, probably out for the season. Players like Schwarz, Appleton now need to stand up as there is a spot for the taking.
Hard earned win at PM Oval. Allmond continues to impress as does Hall. Kurtze murdered us but to no avail in the end. Petrenko and Rowntree were significant with their tough work in heavy conditions. Coad excellent as 'sweeper'/'spare' for Sturt.
6 in a row for the Eags at Unley now apparently.

I was wondering what had happened to Boyd. I saw him hobbling to the team huddle during the breaks and he looked like he had sustained some kind of new injury as he could hardly walk. It would be a blow if his season has been written off although the team now appears to be playing well enough to cover.

I agree with Allmond continuing to impress. Since late last year he has really put some consistency into his games, got over all the niggling injuries he used to frequently pick up and really tidied up his foot skills. The role he has been playing in the backlines as a small defender, particularly in the absence of Goldsworthy, in the past few weeks has been really important.

Rowland looks to be a promising prospect having impressed on the weekend and the week prior.

Really pleasing is that we are getting the wins without the same one or two players starring each week. A very even team performance which is most important. All the players appear to have bought into Godden’s new game plan this season which has worked really well.
by Mr Fuller
Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R13: South v North - Sunday 12 July @ Hickinbotham

1.8 > 1.6
119> all of them

Both the old Port club and the new one can out North North.
by Wedgie
Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R13: South v North - Sunday 12 July @ Hickinbotham

Port's League Team: 12th
Port's Reserves Team: 5th

North's League Team: 10th
North's Reserves Team: 4th
by Wedgie
Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Live Scores - Round 17b

Crowd at Woodville the biggest in over 10 years - 4,679
by Big Phil
Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 17 Eagles vs Adelaide on Sunday

I did say if we are supposed to be a premiership contender then we would be be within a chance. There you are! What an effort today to get over the line with just one player left on the bench after 3QT - the achilles heel in the side this year is the 4th quarter but toughed it out to the end.

I guess McGregor and Thompson have the four weeks now to prepare for the 2nd Semi if it is bad enough... there is enough depth for the likes of Boyd, Goldsworthy, Thurlow, Raikiwasa, Batley, Press and Rowland who are able to step into vacancies left after today. Hopefully the side doesn't have a big let down after todays effort as we still have two rounds to go to have a good hit out before the finals. Wedgetail, I (and you probably) could see the players were more spent than jubilant after today; thankfully we don't have to back this match up at Norwood next week!

Also, what a turnout today; well done to Phil H and crew! With our effort today, hopefully we have won over some new young fans!
by spell_check
Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Great work by the Eagles to clinch the minor premiership and do so against one of the strongest AFL reserves teams the Crows would have put on the park who were playing for their season. To also get the biggest crowd since 2000 is a terrific effort by PhilH and co. Listened on the radio and it was rated highly as a spectacle by the commentators, even though it was a low scoring game. IF, the Eagles go on and complete what they have started, I think this was an important win in validating whatever may be around the corner.
by Aerie
Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If the Eagles win the flag this year, we could possibly reflect later that they played their grand final on Sunday vs the Crows. Until this game no one has been able to stand up to them with more than 14 AFL players included in the side. The Eagles won against 17,...just.
Norwood were hammered by over 100 points against 16 Crows, Port lost to 16 Crows, South went down to 14 AFL listed Crows and West were unlucky to face them with 18 Crows on the field, going down by 63 points, and that accounts for all sides playing finals.
I dare say that the Crows entry to the finals would have resulted in a winning streak through to the Grand Final, where they would have most likely faced off against the only side to have beaten them thus far with such a large AFL contingent. I reckon they'd probably have stacked the side with more than 17 players in such a situation. Fortunately we'll never know, I am much happier this way, but I reckon the Eagles have just done us all a huge favour and delivered the fatal blow to the Crows premiership quest.
by therisingblues
Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 19 - Norwood v W/WT Eagles

Both teams were strong defensively and in tight in the middle yesterday. The difference was one team can kick clutch goals and the other team couldn't. Eagles gonna take a power of beating from here. We put in one of our best performances for the season yesterday, but the Eagles stuck fat and absorbed some lengthy periods of pressure, then stood up to be counted in attack at crucial moments. Thats what Premiership sides do. Obviously they're not there yet, but if they play like that it's going to take a supreme performance to stop them.
by JK
Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Who wins the flag?

When We beat South this Saturday, We'll be in the mix to win the flag, I know what you're thinking BUT, IF We win Saturday, all we have to do is beat Norwood (big deal on their current form), The Power reserves (all depends on how they stack their side), West (they only just beat Us recently) & then The Eagles, that's the tough ask. So it looks like a Central v Eagles Grand Final. :D :D

Back to the glory days of the SANFL!

If it was back to the glory days of the SANFL you guys would be looking for a 3rd club to help you out

I'd count glory days as any time you get to celebrate a premiership and it's not against your "arch rivals" reserves!
by Aerie
Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Northern Areas gossip

Had the pleasure of watching Orroroo host BMW on Saturday and was pleasantly surprised by the standard of footy on show on what might be the biggest ground I've ever seen. That oval is massive.

BMW too strong in the midfield and as the game opened up they ran harder and used the ball better than Orroroo.
by Booney
Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1st Semi Final - Power Reserves v Centrals

I read that Butcher and Amon will be in for the Magpies this week...disgrace
by Brodlach
Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2nd Semi Final - WWT v West Adelaide

Half Time
7-4 WWT
4-2 WA

WWT goalscorers
2 Wundke
2 Boyd
2 Ainger
1 Rowntree

6 of the 7 WWT goals scored by ex Southee Adelaide footballers

Going to be a close finish
WA might be too quick in the 2nd half
WA should still win from here

11-13 WT
9-11 WA

Great effort by WWT to hang on, I thought Westies had them about the middle of the last quarter
by mal
Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2nd Semi Final - WWT v West Adelaide

Great effort Eagles! Terrible to see Rowntree go off with what looks like another serious knee injury. He was the hard luck story during 2011. Then missed a season and a half with a knee. Coming runner up in the Magarey this year in his comeback season and now this. Hopefully Poole is ok too. Two hard nut players who you'd love to have out there on Grand Final day.
by Aerie
Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |