Search found 77 matches

Return

Re: SAAFL Division 3 2014

This all sounds a bit bullshit to me. Part of building a club is doing so sustainably.
BL should get the pros and cons of what they (appear to) have built, they have enjoyed a few years of great success, if they haven't developed a loyal playing group in that time then that's unfortunate.
Take the good with the bad.
by Jetters
Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Golden Grove to Div 3?
by Jetters
Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

My club does not rely solely on poached players and as a result is significantly more stable. Most clubs do not rely entirely on poached players for success and therefore their natural troughs are not as detrimental as they appear to be in Kilburn's case.
You call it poaching, I call it recruiting. Kilburn has recruited in the past based on a need to ensure a level of competitiveness in the grade it is in - whether going up a level or to stop a continual slide.

As has been previously pointed out, Kilburn has always struggled for juniors and the depth in senior ranks has been very poor, so unfortuantely they do need to rely solely on recruiting players, a vicious circle it has created but one that I believe the current board is working hard to change.

This is the problem.

Clubs without a strong recruiting pool (juniors or school) and rely on paid recruits to "ensure a level of competitiveness in the grade its in" are lying to themselves!

They are just blowing a bubble of success, which when the money can't be sustained will pop and they will not just lose a couple of players they can no longer afford, they then become noncompetitive, get smashed and relegated. They lose more players because now they don't want to be in a lower division or get belted again . There is no back up plan because their is not loyalty in the playing group (they were there because you were the highest bidder), there are no developing players and the B grade sucks. Then the club continues downhill.

The thing that gives everyone else the sh!ts is everyone else can see it happening!!!!
But before it does, you have some short term success (Kilburn, Brahma) which other clubs competing for the prize miss out on, but they miss out on it knowing full well what they have built is sustainable and what the 'successful' club has built is not!

So you don't need to rely on paid players to ensure a level of competitiveness, you need to stop kidding yourself about what grade you belong. As someone demonstrated before by going through the clubs in Div 1&2, relying solely on $$ is most of the time unsustainable. $$ are probably a requirement, but not nearly the first step.
by Jetters
Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 4 2014

Sorry for intruding but.... I'm sure Brahma Lodge put a lot of faith in the people they chose to take the club forward. All of a sudden they all leave and they are left with nothing. People, what happened to getting behind the Aussie battler and not kicking them when they're down. We can talk all day about the mistakes, but this club is trying to save themselves from extinction. Where they play is irreverent , as long as they play. Compassion is not something experienced in footy all that often, but atm, we all need to work for a strong league and all clubs are part of that. I'll go now, with friends or not.

"Battler"!?

Are you kidding, they are the opposite to this, they tried to get rich quick and it bit them in the arse.
by Jetters
Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Clubs in strife

Clubs with strong juniors are thriving not struggling.

School based clubs seem to becoming more organised and maintaining a stronger connection with old scholars.

Is it just that 65 clubs or whatever it is is not sustainable?

I guess it works as any business and the market will ultimately work itself out, maybe its the amount of clubs that exist now is unsustainable and exceeds demand. Many have mentioned how close clubs are together, maybe its just too many and we are seeing the reduction of clubs for fewer clubs with more teams.
by Jetters
Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

pretty big effort from the guys who put on the kilburn guernsey knowing how the game was going to.
didnt help kilburn that they came up against imo easily the strongest side in the div
by Jetters
Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Clubs in strife

What's wrong with paying players if sustainable?

The committee works hard to raise $$, pay a gun good $$ to play, they help you win more games and have success, club pushes into higher divs, becomes more attractive to play/sponsor, the club makes a good return on their investment.

Its is annoying as shit though when rival clubs are gifted $$ or revenue streams without working for it.

And clubs who do it irresponsibly in the end die.
by Jetters
Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 7 2014

Our use of the ball was the best we played all year, instead of using our forwards to do all the work it left our onballers open and there the ones that done most of the scoring for us, was a great first quarter but after that we had to dig deap

You won by 200 points and you had to 'dig deep'? No ya didn't.
by Jetters
Mon May 19, 2014 12:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Jim05 wrote:I see Angus Clarke has quit Norwood and been cleared to Unley

nah. one off
by Jetters
Mon May 19, 2014 12:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Junior Football

I don't need tips from you my friend. I would suggest the umpires know the rules of what grade they are umpiring. Yes umpiring isn't a easy job and decisions will go against or for teams and will be seen differently from the side lines. This is not to say the umpire got it right as you suggest. I've played enough footy to know what I see and what is a free kick. I will not umpire bash from the sidelines but I will give my opinion on here.

Not starting anything Bulldog, but one of the biggest problems is people "think" they know what is a free kick. Listen to any game and you will hear people screaming "baaaaaaalllll" as soon as someone with the ball is tackled - despite there being a little thing called "prior opportunity" that needs to be considered.

It is a fallacy that people who've played hundred of games "know" the rules. It simply isn't correct.

And yes, even the umpires need CONSTANT reminding of how to interpret the rules - all the way to the AFL.

Keep supporting everyone involved (and I am certain you are) - the game will survive!!

All good. Your correct in saying just cause you played the game means you know the rules, I'm confident that I do , not saying I will always be right as I'm sure umpires aren't either. It's when the obvious decisions are missed that causes confusion amongst junior players. I always instruct the boys not to back chat umpires and to accept and get on with the game. I actually take players off for 25s and arguing , done this on Sunday when the umpire pulled a guy up for bouncing to many times ( your allowed to bounce as many times as you like in under 13s) and another player said something which resulted in a free to the opposition.

As an umpire this does my head in.

Old football people just don't know the rules, particularly 'holding the ball'.
by Jetters
Thu May 22, 2014 10:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL division 6 2014

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/blackfriars-old-scholars-beat-angle-vale-in-division-six-amateur-league-by-70-goals/story-fnii08h3-1226930901347

I don't understand how paying players gets mentioned in this story, or why clubs that don't pay players wear it as a badge of honour.

When asked why is the club not going well, the answer is not 'because we don't pay players' it's 'no one (or no one good) wants to play for us'. Clubs obviously invest their $$ in whatever they think is best for the club, if they think paying players vs facilities, equipment, juniors etc is the best way to do it, then why wouldn't you?

If you say 'we would like to pay players, but we dont have the $$', the answer is still not 'because we don't pay players' its 'we can't raise enough money to be competitive'. So your club off field is too weak vs the competition.

If you want people to play for the love of the club vs $$, you have to make your club more valuable to those people than the $$ they are being offered. So if they leave its still not because you dont pay players, its because the players don't value the club highly enough. And really, how much can div 7 footballers be paid? Surely stuff all, so if they are leaving to get paid stuff all elsewhere, they must not care too much about the club.
by Jetters
Sun May 25, 2014 9:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So ...what's your point.... :) Honour comes from having a sense of equality when competing with your peers.
Paying players is not sustainable.
Some things are not in a clubs control.
The sport we love is in strife.

What did I just read before!?

Paying players is low hanging fruit, an easy thing to whinge about, plenty of other things are equally 'unfair'.
Paying players is sustainable.
Most things are in a clubs control.
Are there less people playing football now, or are there just fewer, but larger clubs? Given the proximity of clubs, there may be too many clubs to sustain.
by Jetters
Mon May 26, 2014 2:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015: 7 Pure A-Grade Divisions

I like the general idea .....don't agree with a lot of your reasons.

Clubs play like for like. Strong clubs play other strong clubs C & D grades, Weaker clubs play other weaker clubs A & Bs week in week out. Ends up with people and clubs playing against each who are all out there for similar reasons to achieve similar goals. Would add stability to these divisions.

The unfortunate part is having 9 team comps. Byes are shit.
by Jetters
Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Under 18 penalties.

Yeah but when I was younger saying "bloody" or "shit" in front of adults was considered heinous. Back when my mum was young "bugger" was a terrible word. Back when her mum was young she couldn't wear a bathing suit in public!

Point is, society and it's standards change over time. It is the role of the youth of the day to push those limits, test them and alter them to their needs. The issue is that as you get older you keep your own set of standards but society has moved on.

So its not that kids today are bad, they're just matching and pushing the line, just as we all did when we were younger, just as your parents did when they were younger. The issue you have with kids these days has nothing to do with the actual kids, it is in fact reflected in your bathroom mirror.
That's an interesting way to look at it, and does make sense, but it's also not the kids pushing the limits it's people in society who say what is right or wrong, tell people how they should be parents or disciplining kids etc. It's a legal system that gives a kid a million chances, an education system that doesn't care if they can't spell their own name and a bunch of " experts " who disapprove of things like smacking.

Damn those "experts" with their "education" and "research" and "science".
by Jetters
Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I don't have anything I need to respond to. I don't think anyone has disagreed with what I've said, just that they don't like hearing it. If I was the CU coach who probably is doing a lot of work to fix the situation I wouldn't like hearing it either, doesn't make it any less true.

Why am I commenting? Because there is too much bullshit Div 6/lower division goodwill between you lot and it makes me just a little bit nauseous and what a boring place this would be if someone didn't call you on said bullshit.
by Jetters
Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Save the date - medal count night

Some absolutely ridiculous votes.

In round 2 Warky kicked 10 vs Kilburn and gave off at least that many because he was bored kicking them, somehow didn't poll a vote and one of the Kilburn witches hats got one.

How do you snare a vote in a 400 point loss!!??

Also saw a Kilburn player got a BOG in some game. Joke.

Don't know if Luke Walsh is anywhere near the best in the comp, but he certainly deserved the 3 he got in round 18 vs us.
by Jetters
Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well we ballsed that up, wasnt good enough when it mattered most. But overall a fantastic year from our boys. Very proud Jet.

Congrats to modbury, very consistent side all year and made most of their chances when it counted.

Must be tough to see a club on the up and busting its arse to improve when you run the most heinous outfit in the saafl.
by Jetters
Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Coaches worth

The players don't get paid in preseason so neither should the coaches.

As for 20-30 hours a week I find that hard to believe. Here is what I see. 2 hours Tuesday night, 2 hours Thursday night, 4 hours Saturday and 2 hours selecting players. 10 hours . There might e a few coaches who tape games and watch them again. Another 2 hours for them. However you are not going over tapes from other teams, watching there practice or getting scout reports. 12 hours is about the
Most I can see. Would love to know where the other hours are spent?

I can not believe how insulting this would be to the coaches, ours in particular, who spend countless hours tiring over their role and going beyond what is asked. I have no doubt more coaches (at least 'A' grade) than not fall into this category.

The head coach of a local footy club is far more than a coach, they are the leader of the club and are instrumental in building its culture.

10 hours. Get stuffed.
by Jetters
Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Coaches worth

I don't think the $$ amount is thaaat relevant to the grade being coached. A coaches value to the club would be unique to that club and it is not necessary his 'coaching' that is the value.

Most coaches would also take massive unders because of the passion for their club, so regardless of their division they could be paid stuff all.

Coaches get paid stuff all for the work they do!!
by Jetters
Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: APPS New recruiting rules - Your thoughts?

How does the points system work in the SAAFL for clubs that do not have junior grades or feeder schools?
What are clubs like Adelaide University, Central United, Flinders University, Greenacres, Houghton Districts, Mawson Lakes, North Pines, Smithfield & Wingfield Royals going to be able to do as their current groups retire off?
The clubs with juniors and the old scholars bloc are pretty obvious, but what rules are in place for the University clubs. Do the other clubs with no juniors have to rely on a minimum of recruits and then newbies?

I dont think many teams have huge chunks of players retiring or leaving at the end of every year. If you bring in 4 to 5 new players from elsewhere every year, you'll be fine. The chances of all of them coming from the same club are pretty slim.

15 points = 5 x 3 point players in Year 1, following season those are still worth 10 points before you start. Effectively could only bring in 1 or 2 each year there after.

Lose a couple of zero pointers for whatever reason and things would be awkward, unless you play your recruits in the B-Grade for a few years to get their points down.

Those clubs could always decide to contribute to football?
by Jetters
Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Clubs squished together....

I think we will see a continuing trend of clubs folding with the remaining clubs growing, it is incredible how many clubs there are so close to each other.

why? the populations growing. how many of these clubs have popped up recently? if they've ever survived before, they should be able to survive now.

Because running a small club is inefficient and as the bigger clubs are being run more and more professionally the smaller clubs will be out competed

Yes, Kilburn and Salisbury West have been very professional.

Pretty big sweeping statement there Jetters.

I definitely don't include Kilburn and Salisbury West as big clubs. 2 senior teams, maybe a mickey mouse 3rd team and small/no junior sides.

I don't understand how this is controversial.

Doesn't matter if your club has 50 members or 500+, a lot of bills and jobs only need doing once regardless of how much $$ is coming in or how many volunteers available to do them.
by Jetters
Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Penalties for paying players in the SAAFL

Cohiba wrote:
Jetters wrote:
Robb_Stark wrote:we all know of an ex afl player who was paid 50 thousand dollars upfront to play this year they went on to win a flag in div 1

I heard 100k!

Where did you hear????

I didn't. I am taking the piss.
by Jetters
Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 6 - 2015

Brahma signed Tim Aloisi last night looks like they are pulling a decent side together

There's a quote about those that learn nothing from history being deemed to repeat it (hi Kilburn)

Being a former and future player I think the club is doing it thr right way. I know they won't over spend and the fact a lot of past players are returning is only a good sign for the club.

How f#cking embarrassing for this football club and its players.

Your club evidently offers no value to its players, so they are only there for the cash. No cash no players.

Your players have absolute pea hearts and will only play when the going is good and easy.

I suspect both.

And the decision to reunite this combination = genius. Just oozes sustainability.
by Jetters
Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Loves to talk footy....

Aloisi, 3 clubs in less than 2 years.

That kind of player would not be wanted and definitely not paid a cent at a 'successful' club.

If you pay him a $ (after he and players like him abandoned you when you needed them most.... actually isn't Aloisi also abandoning SW in a similar situation??) you are a bunch of fools.

You admit youve got it wrong in the past, but your way of fixing it is by doing the same thing again??
by Jetters
Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Brahma Lodge people just don't get it.

There's nothing wrong with paying players (imo), IF you can do it sustainably. Pay what you can afford.

Your issue is you have ONLY paid players, the ONLY reason these people were playing for your club was because you paid them, nothing else (evidently).

@Groover, I do understand your situation, your club is poorly administrated, and your club offers no value to its A grade players (outside of $$).

To fix your situation, you are choosing to go back down the path that got you in this position in the first place, continue to pay disloyal pea-heart, players and again and blow your false bubble of 'success'. You are not entitled to success.

Groover, if you are a committed, loyal player I would be disgusted at what your admin has done, and would walk out if they again choose to support the disloyal rather than the committed like yourself.

What gives everyone the shits is you've cheated the system. Loyal, honest volunteers and players bust their guts for their clubs and you've robbed them for a chance for success when you were winning and you are going to cheat them all again this year. Plus, you have taken the piss out of the SAAFL's display of good faith who have given your club a chance to rebuild and you are going to spit it back in their face.
by Jetters
Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I guess I feel like I have to reply to a few comments on here as I have bitten my tongue long enough.
I for one can totally understand the hatred and critical comments we are copping as a club from a lot of outsiders looking in and can also understand the fact that this whole situation has played out horribly since the start of 2014.
But as someone who is involved in the process I can see that our club doesn't have much choice then to welcome back anyone who is willing to pull on a jumper in 2015.
To be honest, what happened in 2014 was embarassing, humiliating and definitely something that disappointed a lot of past players, current players and supporters after we worked hard as a collective to have our chance to try and match it in div3 (where we had never been before).
As things eventuated the circumstances put in front of us were brutal and we dealt with those the best way we saw fit.
There was no way we could have predicted in 2013 that everyone (bar a couple) would leave us in the situation of 2014 and there is no doubt that we could never have predicted the current situation that is now unfolding.
This whole series of events has left a bitter taste in the mouth of many, and what has happened will be a tag brahma has to go on living with.
From a club point of view, the only way forward is to focus on the short term to make sure we are still here in 3-5years (hence the recruitment of past players)
One thing I do hope we can do though is learn from these mistakes , get a junior club up and running so hopefully in 5 years time we can sustain our numbers and quality from within rather than relying on trying to gain others who may have some allegences elsewhere.
If this can happen, then the mistakes of the past shal not be repeated, and as a club we may be entitled to win back the respect of all the outsiders looking in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Take some ownership for your f#ck ups!

Learn from these mistakes...will you be paying 1 cent to anyone who abandoned you and put into this embarrassing mess?
by Jetters
Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's only a handful of past players returning, most of which have played nigh on 100 games for the club and one who's father is also a Brahma past player. I not sure why all the carry on.
Not sure if you are referring to Brahma Lodge when you mention $800 for an ex SANFL player but I can assure you that has never happened at the lodge although I know one club who has an interest in this thread ha paid that much for one bloke.. I think they've merged now.. So it worked well.
As for you other peanuts saying we should take our medicine. Lol
Div 3 to Div 6 in one season and losing 36 games in the middle, I guess that's some medicine. We should have stayed in div 3 and got spanked by 100 goals a week. Pffft.. You idiots!
As a past player of the club, to which I came to from a div 1 club, and now passionate club member, if you think I will sit idly by and watch my club slip away you are fools. If donating my time to raise funds, recruit players and putting my hand in my own pocket means my club can get back some of its past success then I will do it.. I doubt any of you if you love your clubs would do any different.

So your disloyal, pea-heart players have played 100+ games and have family ties to the club!!!?

What is wrong with your football club!?
by Jetters
Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ATCA 2014/15.

Good concept. More fun than training!!
by Jetters
Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'll cop that im in the Orange category in that instance, however, I think the standard of umpiring will be comparable to the division you play. The higher you play, the better the umpiring. Of course. That is obvious. AFL umpires are better than SANFL umpires, who are better than D1 umpires, who are better than D3 umpires etc.

So that means because we play in shitty divisions, we just have to cop it, not suggest improvements or try and change things for the better?

How defeatist.

It may be a stretch to say that an umpires decision is comparable to a player dropping a mark, but im not of the opinion that you should expect SANFL umpiring standards at div 6 level.. Umpires miss things, interpret things differently, some (alot) just make mistakes, all im saying is simply deal with it, and FFS dont pollute the div 6 thread with umpiring rubbish All very true.

RE polluting this thread, this is a topic which is football related, specific to the lower divisions, and to be honest, is a whole lot more interesting than " hey, did you hear player x signed with y " or " team x are paying heaps of coin!! " or " brahma lodge are cheaterzzzzz! " - that sort of stuff is the real polution, IMO.

You haven't suggested anything, just complained.
by Jetters
Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: F***ing Umpires

I think the umpires do a reasonable job, maybe 2 games a year you walk off pissed off.

We struggle to attract good football people into umpiring. How many players from your clubs would take up umpiring when they finish playing? I think those are the people we want, and very very few do.

We don't pay them enough considering the football culture towards umpires and the massive barrier to people entering into umpiring it has created.

What would we have to pay to attract these people to umpire??

A sign on fee split between the potential umpire and the club they are coming from may work.

Player X played 100 games, retires and 30, still wants to be part of the game. He gets $250 sign on as an umpire, His club gets $500 (or equivalent reduced subs). The club gets another $250 second year signing.

Each recruited umpire costs $1000.... 75% going back to the clubs.
We cap it 20 umpires.

The league loses 20k in revenue or 20k investment
In return we inject 20 'good football people' into umpiring.
More umpires, hopefully good umpires, increases competition for spots, competition leads to accountability.
A $500 return to clubs is significant enough for them to recruit these umpires for us.

I would also stagger the pay more to again encourage competition and increase accountability
by Jetters
Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 4 - 2015

so the question is what happen at hope valley last night and did they vote to go into div 3 or stay in div 4 ??????

come on footy chick spill

Buggered if I know, I"m not at Hope Valley anymore.

I couldn't see them voting to go up though, FWIW.

Why would any club not want to play as higher division as possible?? As most know, it is pretty hard to make a grand final and go up a division (just ask golden grove), so when it is handed to you on a plate why not take it? Your club may not be in a position to challenge or play finals in the higher division, but still it is worth a shot.

Seems to be the culture of the Ammos, success against weaker clubs is seen as more meritorious than competing against stronger clubs.

Financially it is
by Jetters
Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 3 - 2015

I completely agree with you!

It has made it more difficult for clubs who do not develop football at junior level to compete with those who do. I think that's a great result.

I think the league probably has a few too many clubs, as you've suggested they have a number of clubs who take the cherry off the top of other clubs without developing football at junior level. Do we need many of these clubs? The league might level out at 6 division which I think would be about right.

I think the NEJFA rules are BS and anti-competitive that they allow big clubs to have so many junior teams per grade, not allowing some smaller clubs to contribute to junior football and building their club.

It hasn't stopped the everyday bloke having a kick, its just made it harder for the gun (or as we all know, maybe just reasonable player) jumping around.

The APPS isn't perfect, for example if everyone wanted to leave SW for instance, stay as a group, and go play around the corner, that is a legit issue.
by Jetters
Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 2 - 2015

Bombers4EVA wrote:So how's everyone pre-season's going? Our's a going very well with awesome numbers and everyone putting in the hard yards. We're pretty much into full swing now. Which is good. Gotta love the training nights when it's 35 degrees or more. Sweat sweat sweat.

Go Walkerville
by Jetters
Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 3 - 2015

In our junior comp if we had similar rules Unley, Goodwood and Mitcham for example would have many teams in each grade, CLG and Glenunga wouldn't have any (more or less). Glenunga were late on the scene and have been able to develop their junior program and CLG used to run a poor junior program which has since been much improved program, now both clubs fill teams in nearly all grades, this would never have happened under your system.

Parents in the area have a genuine choice about which club their kids play for and clubs have to maintain a high standard otherwise players will move. It is also a much more enjoyable competition for the kids when they play against a number of different clubs vs the same few each week.

Our 2nd responsibility, after the kids, must be to football on the whole, this philosophy of developing as many strong clubs as possible will help ensure a sustainable future for our league and be for the betterment of football long term.
by Jetters
Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Key Defender/Forward required.

SAAFL club less then 6km from the CBD require the services of a Key defender or Key forward to add to our already strong squad.

Club has played finals the last 2 years and looking to take the next step in 2015.

Please PM me for further details

$ Negotiable.

Hmmm which souless club is this???

It wouldn't be anyone in the top 3 divs, this is pretty amateurish way to recruit.

No city team played finals in div 4 did they?

Wouldn't be anyone in div 7.

Leaves CLG, CBC, BOS, Westminster. CBC got relegated the other year.

Which club spends the most $$ on nuffy footballers?

Ill put $1 on CLG
by Jetters
Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 2 - 2015

Sh#t banter on here lads, really need to lift the bar. Whose everyone looking forward to playing the most this season or who is looking for some payback from previous seasons?

Ladder Prediction.
1. Jets :heart:
2. PAOC
3. GAZA
4. Scotch
5. SPOC

6. Broadview
7. Walkerville
8. SMOSH
9. Gepps
10. Modbury

They all disgust me.
by Jetters
Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015: 7 Pure A-Grade Divisions

Marbles, you've got your little C grade Super League, now will you please go and take your nonsense to that thread and leave the 'A grade Divisions' for the 'A grade folk' and rid us of the rubbish that we are subjected to when your fingers come in contact with your keyboard..

You're insistence that clubs 'Stop relying on div 1 or 2 clubs to survive' is potentially the most ridiculous thing I have read from a 'C grader'..

Maybe if every club was limited to 2 senior teams only, then there would be more clubs and more players to go around for these clubs struggling to get 2 teams together.
You can't punish the strong clubs that do the right thing and attract players just to prop up clubs that obviously don't provide a stable enough environment for players to stick around. I don't buy the argument that one club is better or worse than another club in terms of environment and culture at any one time and that all any club has to do is "the right thing" and the players will flock to you. It's a very simplistic attitude typical of clubs which have been kissed on the dick either in regards to money or location or both.

The work I did to support this theory using demographics and location correlated to divisional rank is one metric for example. In general, the more playing age males you had within reach of your clubs location, the higher your club was on the divisional ladder.

You are just so, so, so wrong.

You sound exactly like someone who has only every been at a struggling club and not experienced both sides of the coin.... oh wait...

In 2009 we were effectively in Div 5 (Edwardstown leaving bumped us back up), we effectively had 2 teams (the Cs were all fill ins and were lucky to kick a goal). In 2015 we are Div 2 and have 4 sides.

The off field working of our club is absolutely chalk and cheese. What you have said disregards the hard work done by so many at my club and others.
by Jetters
Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ISAGENIX

This company has to one of the grossest possible set ups.

The business model is dodgey, its product is in absolutely no way special and it prays on the vulnerable (those self conscious about their weight).

As this is a 'supplement' they can claim basically anything they like because it falls in the cracks between a medicine and a food and being freakin' enormous company, they are very hard to sue successfully.

Of course you are going to lose weight on one of these 'plans', you are just starving yourself.
by Jetters
Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

He was actually in the rooms dealing with his players and what lays ahead. Come out and had a beer with Ingle Farms footy director and co captain afterwards. Can you blame him for having the shits?? Lots of work to be done at the lodge
:shock: buddy he's the coach of a Div 6 side, not Mick Malthouse coaching Carlton! :roll:

I don't care what disappointment you might feel, that just stinks of whinging spoilt brat syndrome to me.
Spot on.
You want respectability you don't do that shite.
What has Brahma done over the last couple of years that suggests they want respectability??
by Jetters
Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 8 - 2015

This is a non issue. You think 25 is too many...play with less than 25.
by Jetters
Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Five hours playing time plus before/after x every week of the season is too much for older players physically and too much of an ask vs family.

The odd Friday night is easier on the body and families can come down to watch, have tea, bbq. Great social event. They get great numbers/atmosphere for the kids' Friday night T20's.

Clubs wouldn't take it that seriously and nor do they need to. The serious cricket is Saturdays. They're usually friendlies in England.
I think this line of thinking is brilliant.

Crickets biggest threat, but also one of its charms, is its attachment to tradition. The product we offer is highly time consuming, expensive and 2 day cricket is a pretty niche market; the majority of people don't want to spend that long in the field and only get a hit every second week.

We don't offer a product for the social, yet competitive sports lover. We offer T20 but only as an add on for Saturday players. I think we look at a very modified version of the game run mid week, over a short season or games every fortnight, 8-a-side, 16 overs, pairs cricket. I would limit the amount of Saturday playing players, maybe only a couple to use as top ups.

Think about your footy clubs, how many love cricket, watch it on tv, attend games, but would hate the idea of spending 6 hours doing it on a saturday. Most people want to bowl a couple of overs, try to slog a few for 6, then drink beers with their mates; yet we don't offer this. This format would bring new members to clubs and bring cricket fans back to playing the game. I would play it over 8 weeks in Jan/Feb when there's long daylight hours and high interest in cricket following the BBL.
by Jetters
Sun May 17, 2015 8:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think the LO competition is a good option for clubs. It served us well for many years and there are something like 8 clubs that just play this. The game is different but the standard has improved and an LOA premiership is nothing to be scoffed at, even something to aspire to. Obviously not the prestige or standard of the higher 2 day A grade Divs. Typically it can be said that clubs top LO team is better than their 2 day B grade team.

I don't think offering more cricket would increase the number of people playing or increase the time people play. I certainly give credence to the idea of transferring more games to Friday nights when permissible. Opens up peoples weekends and allows players of the same club to be able to spectate the games. On that, another idea could be to schedule a number of A grade games to start later and end later or other games to start earlier or finish earlier (Less overs/no second innings), that way clubs could regularly come back to their home club and watch the ending of games.. Eventually you would witness a thriller.. was lucky enough to have our game finish early on the second day, Got back to the club and saw our A's get their score 9 down.

It might be a good option for clubs, but not for a lot of players. Playing a season of LO cricket can still be expensive for the player and is a 20+ week Saturday afternoon commitment.

I certainly think it would bring a lot of people back/keep people in the game. If I want to try to slog 10 balls for six, bowl a couple of overs, have a laugh with my mates, call the opposition batsman useless, drink piss after the game, and do it for 6-8 weeks where do I go?? This is what a huge amount of cricket lovers want to do. We should offer this product and not resist because it doesn't fit with our traditionalists views of a cricket season.

I think this new membership would revitalise cricket clubs by attracting new members. A few would no doubt go on to play full season cricket and get more involved in the club.

Thinking about my footy and cricket club, only a couple of us do both, it's asking a lot for players to commit all year round. Yet, most of the footy players love their cricket, but wont make that level of commitment, especially on the back of their footy commitments. Lets give them a product that they want!
by Jetters
Mon May 18, 2015 8:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A dedicated T20 comp will just put further nails in 2 day Crickets coffins and we should avoid any more nails at all costs. I reckon the marginal non-committed players might chose T20 over 2 day. Most clubs efforts for T20's on Tuesday nights are terrible. From what I've seen (haven't been out north/south much) only three teams Grange, Pembroke & Fulham actually use these games to benefit their club ie. open bar, get supporters down, bbq, music etc. Use Tuesday nights as an opportunity to get the families, kids training and bbq on! People are time poor these days, so you won't get the same blokes playing Friday and Saturdays. Tuesday nights are good as you would be training anyway.

This attitude is the biggest threat to cricket imo. You might not like it, but what the BBL is doing for cricket in Australia is remarkable, its bringing a whole new audience and generation of cricket lovers to the game and will see cricket prosper into the future.
by Jetters
Mon May 18, 2015 8:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mass debate with Morell

1. You play the way you train.
2. Pre-seasons are really important in amateur football.
3. Stretching achieves anything, ever.
4. Every club pays players.
5. Getting to a game early allows for a superior preparation.
6. Business slacks make you a more professional and disciplined club.
7. Strapping does anything, ever.
8. Outside players are soft.
9. Going up a division attracts better quality players and people.
10. Voice and communication is REALLY important

2 and 9 are just so bullsh!t.

2 - for just such obvious reasons.

9 - if you look at clubs in higher divisions they have more volunteers in general, but particularly volunteers with professional skills who assist in their area of expertise. That's why they go up divisions, it's self fulfilling. Also players coming from SANFL grades or good footballers new to the area never came to our club when we were at the bottom of Div 4, attracting these people at the top of Div 3 and Div 2 is infinitely easier.

@Morrell, could you accept that these 'myths' are heavily influenced due to the fact you have been involved in a club at the bottom of the pecking order?
by Jetters
Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Club Payments Crackdown

I think this is a great initiative. It's a sad state of affairs when club administrators have are so financially irresponsible that this decision has to be made to prevent further mismanagement.

It will be hard to give this tiger teeth, but nevertheless (I can't believe I'm agreeing with @morrell) just because it will be difficult doesn't mean the appropriate action shouldn't be taken

It's a shame for volunteers and particularly country footy followers who pour time and money into their clubs for these efforts to capped in a way. If you are a wealthy farmer and your passion is watching your local footy team, you put a stack of $$ into your club, for there to be rules saying sorry, you can't invest your money your into players, therefore the game a lower standard, your team loses and you don't get the same kick out of it, seems philosophically unfair. Same as a club with twice the volunteers, work harder to generate twice the $$, they should get to see their effort pay off by watching their team win more often.

However, we may be doing these people a favour by ensuring the longevity of their passion. If you were watching an 8/10 standard game this year, and next year you are watching a 7/10 game, does that really matter? Surely the essence of your passion is the connections you have made at your club and community and the competition itself, irrespective that the competition may be slightly weaker.

Clubs with extra volunteers and resources may now be forced to invest more into juniors, facilities and deliver other long term value for their club.

Arguments re tax office concerns are surely taking the piss... it would be so insignificant on their radar.

Arguments about regulating other incentives such as jobs I think are also irrelevant... these incentives don't effect the continued existence of clubs' or leagues'. Incentives outside of taking $$ from the club bank should be encouraged as it is a sustainable option and ensures dollars are invested back in the club.

Perhaps there should be a clause in the CFL rules to allow a sliding scale of salary cap depending on geography, ie country clubs have a slightly increased cap to allow for payment for travel.
by Jetters
Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Club Payments Crackdown

Gee Jetters... you know how to upset folks. (insert disclaimer here ;) )
My two bobs worth:
- No club with aspirational objectives can get away without payments given everyone else is and it's a competition.
- The salary cap is in my view great in principle for many reasons but will be near nigh impossible to police for the other many reasons already laid out by other respondents.
- To make it work, the penalties for clubs found breaching the rules need to be so great that it won't be worth the risk... this may have to be the Al Capone factor, ie hung out by the Tax office + other penalties such as suspension / relegation etc.
- at present, what a club is prepared to pay is up to them and should not be the source of derision by others. The question for the club is; should we be spending money building a club where people want to play rather than forking out so much to players that we have nothing left for the "club building" strategy, such as junior developement etc?
- how little UMJ pay players would surprise many - we have a large core of ex-juniors, college graduates and their mates who want to play with us because we have a good club culture and an ongoing strategy to maintain it. Some of these lads have been together since under 9's. We have 98% volunteer players, with many of our A Grade who could be earning big money elsewhere just wanting to play for the jumper. Neither do they mind the odd marquee player pulling a few bucks. (and don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about because I most certainly do.) We have got where we are through a strategic planned approach and a lot of hard work off field rather than just throwing money at chaps and crossing the fingers.

So my view is if a Div 7 club or anyone else for that matter, wants to pay players, that's up to them, but if they think thats all they need to do to bring long term success, think again.

Look @BigB, I don't know if you've read the forum rules, but it's actually stipulated that in each post you must call someone an idiot or at least take cheap shots at their club. Moderators please^^
by Jetters
Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: is your club losing revenue

The idea that having best players on sporting pulse reduces presso attendance is so stupid. If it makes any difference its absolutely nominal and conversely, it should ensure attendance from those who do get in the bests. Either way, anyone who goes to pressos just because they're in the bests is a an douchebag and you wouldnt want them there anyway.

One good point that was raised is when you have a lot of players between 18-22, a lot of weekends are taken up by 18th and 21st birthdays which can wipe out a big number from pressos if all the players came from the same school.

The town and 'pre-drink' issue is also a big influence. Going to town is expensive, especially if you're a student. It costs you $20 to drink 10 drinks at home bought from a bottleo, $50/$60 to drink from the footy club, $60-$90 to do it in town. When you don't have much money and your aim is to get as gassed as possible they are valuable $$. Time is really money between footy and going to town. It also means when young players do come to the club they don't spend much.
by Jetters
Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL FINALS WEEK 2 (DRAFT)

Our C grade will be devo their game has been canned...
by Jetters
Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 8 - 2015

Shaping up to be a quality finals series in 8 and 8R. Rare for C/D grade comp to be so even between first and fifth and I dare say every finalist will consider themselves a chance.

In the C Grade I suspect Tea Tree Gully's more experienced players will prove the difference in finals. Having said that on a warm day on a big oval (Kilburm, St Mary's, Salisbury, Thebarton) on Grand Final day both PAOC and Unley will relish the conditions.

In the D's the comp is arguably even wider with the top 5 all having a very unbalanced record against one another. To take the weak bet it will depend who is able to get all their players on the park and firing at the right time. I suspect SMOSH has a slight edge in this area but that's a blind stab. Ditto my oval/Grand Final thoughts except I think in this grade it will suit Old Ignatians more than anything

If only there was a way to monetarise my ability to pick C Grade football results :lol:

Should be a bloody good standard C Grade Grand Final as both teams play very attractive, skillful styles of football.
I don't think the game will resemble what most people think of when they think of 'C grade football'.

Great effort this season from our Cs to give themselves this opportunity!
by Jetters
Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 7 - 2015

For what it's worth the only Div 7 game I saw in 2014 was the Grand Final. From what I saw of that game (admittedly small sample size) I would say that PAOC's 2015 Div 8 side was superior to Adelaide Uni's 2014 Grand Final team (but still wouldn't have been much of a match for that Smithfield side).

I have no idea of the strength of Div 7 in 2014 viz a viz 2015

Div 8 is not as strong at the pointy end as div 7 and hasn't been ever. The better c1 sides like Goodwood, in my opinion, would beat the div 8 better sides having seen a lot of both competitions over the last few years. The stand alone c grade sides are often quite strong eg Henley, ROCs,
Having all C grade sides in divisions ranked from best to weaker would answer these questions but I believe the c&d grade comps are relatively set now and accepted widely across the League.

Having seen the C1 Grand Final last year I would say this year's PAOC Div 8 team would not have looked out of place in that game. To give you an idea PAOC's D Grade won straight through to the C2 Grand Final. For what it's worth I also suspect that PAOC's Reserves would match up well against any of the Division 1 Reserves sides.

Our C's in Div 8 this year would absolutely pump our C1 side from last year (who finished 2nd but straight setted it). I think the GF Div 8 sides would certainly win C1. I also think PACs B grade this yr would have had a real chance in Div1R.

Jets to beat PAC by 1 pt in Div 8 .

Told ya
by Jetters
Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |