Search found 106 matches

Return

Re: SAAFL Division 3 2014

Just how close to this are you PG?
We have our Ladies Day planned for that day. KFC and SAAFL won't reply to our queries. Should we be worried?
Ladies Day = important financial and associated benefits for our club.

I'm sure you're social event is number one priority for the Kilburn committee and big wigs at SAAFL house.
Well it should be. Well run clubs organise events well in advance and in div 3, or any division for that matter, no club should have to worry about whether there will actually be a game on or not. It's not normally top of the checklist of things they need to consider on the day
by S Demon
Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Clubs in strife

So there has been a bit of chat in here about demographics, location and geography. Good stuff! People are thinking about the real issues rather than the more typical “club must be run by muppets” “no-one wants to play for your club” “club has poor culture” “club should pay players” palaver than usually gets trotted out.

Anyway, I’m a spatial analyst during the week and washed up footballer on the weekends, so the combination of these two means these thought processes kind of tickle my fancy.

I went through the following very quick analysis, hoping to see if there was a pattern or evidence in what everyone was thinking.

Roughly, I did this:

1. Mapped all the club locations – thanks to the SAAFL Google maps website for the coordinates. Also included nearby SFL clubs
2. Download age profiles for SA1’s (the polygon boundaries) from the ABS.
3. Add up “Football aged men” for each SA1. I did 17 to 40 males.
4. According to the ABS the participation rate for these ages for football averages to 5%, so I took 5% of all of those people and considered them the “player pool” for that SA1
5. This was too simplistic. What if you had quite good numbers for your local area but were surrounded by clubs who sapped them all?
6. Created a “100 player” catchment area for each club. So, how big is the circle until that club has 100 players available within it
7. Then took an average for the areas included in the clubs catchments and reduced those players by that amount. So the more clubs within that area that have a catchment the lower the numbers will be.
8. Mapped the result, which in my opinion, could be considered a map of indicative static player pools.

One flaw is that it treats all clubs as the same. So if North Pines are next to Salisbury West, they both have a catchment need of 100. I could have added up the real numbers here but, meh, don’t think it would have made a massive difference overall. I also removed Adelaide Uni completely as they are unique.

There are several pockets of “gold” for footballers in metropolitan Adelaide, the North East Road section – which I think is consumed by Tea Tree Gully, Modbury and Golden Grove. The Paralowie pocket, which is consumed by the 3 Salisburys. And curiously, the inner west. Richmond, Netley, Mile End, Thebarton – maybe the SAAFL are hoarding a player pool and awaiting the right time to unleash a super team or something. It could also be that there are just no clubs located in that area but they travel to Plympton, Flinders Park and Woodville.

Anyway, check em out:

1. Club Locations

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac142/mellingham/1-locations_zpsc766a84c.png

2. Total Footballing Aged Men (darker = more)

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac142/mellingham/2-FootballersTotal_zpsc7e273c1.png

3. Club Catchment – capture 100 players

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac142/mellingham/3-ClubCatchment_zps12168a61.png

4. Final Result (red or pink means the areas player pool has been exhausted and are in the negative, in the blue means positive)

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac142/mellingham/4-Result_zpsba45fddf.png
by morell
Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Some points:
- Yes we got our ladies day and it was a great day - relief!
- Kilburn's decision to stay in Div 3 was theirs to make and the club now has to live with that decision, tho if there are any plans to rebuild, their decision is understandable as you'd want to rebuild from as higher a Div as possible.
- The lads who came and played for them are to be commended regardless of what you might think about their club and the way they've gone about things.. It would be easy to let frustration get the better of you but they just did their best and played out the game despite knowing from the opening bell that it was all over. There were no nasty incidents, no spite. The guys from Kilburn played in the best spirit of the game.
- I don't have the records to hand (The SAAFL page is not available) but I am told, second highest score in history of the SAAFL, certainly broke all club records of course.
- Am advised by someone who knows these things better than most that even if Kilburn pull or get pulled the scores still stand for the games they've played. I've looked at the local regs and can't see anything specific on the matter tho.
- What was most satisfying was that despite the huge margin early the Unley guys kept playing to their plan, there was no cute stuff or cockiness. It was a very mature display.
- Irony: Kilburn knocked Unley out of the finals race in 2011 with a 2 point win in round 18 and then went on to win the premiership.

In short tho... the weather was beautiful and so were the ladies and the party went on till late.
by BigB
Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Phantom Gossiper wrote:My mail this evening is final nail in the coffin... "The Chics are dead, long live the Chics.." :(

At least Unley got their Ladies Day ;)
by Q.
Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL division 6 2014

i think a clear exploit would be say 4-5 players who have played say 100 plus A grade games in div 1-2-3 then in the last season just gone have been playing Bs due to work etc and then they leave that club and drop down to a div 6 club and are worth 0 points......that seems like a grey area or even a exploit of the rules

the age old question can a div 2 reserves side beat a div 6 club just ask rosewater :)
by Robb_Stark
Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Such a good club man morell, clubs in need for everyone to train etc yet your too lazy and happy to slag off other clubs on here, maybe the problem at Mitchell park isn't what has left, but what is still around?
by scottroo
Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's in strife because football is lower on the list of priorities for young males these days, not because of a minority getting a bit of coin. Absolutely agree.

But, the amounts being paid makes some of those young men all of a sudden raise the priority of football in their lives.

That in turn, swings the pendulum even futher in favour paying clubs, which then in turn creates greater disharmony, despite t he fact that particular model is unsustainable.

Big statement.

It's completely sustainable when managed correctly.
by jo172
Mon May 26, 2014 2:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's in strife because football is lower on the list of priorities for young males these days, not because of a minority getting a bit of coin. Absolutely agree.

But, the amounts being paid makes some of those young men all of a sudden raise the priority of football in their lives.

That in turn, swings the pendulum even futher in favour paying clubs, which then in turn creates greater disharmony, despite the fact that particular model is unsustainable.

Horseshit.

It's probably because they have greater access to more flexible and individualist pursuits.
by Q.
Mon May 26, 2014 2:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

money may not be the issue at M.P nad A.V but in a lot of the divisions the money is showing compared to the clubs who dont have money

And it's been that way for years. I agree with Jetters tho maybe too many clubs to keep it sustainable in future years. Wash my mouth out.... Agreeing with Jetters. :D
by Yank Man
Mon May 26, 2014 2:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Some clubs pay people and its sustainable, some clubs don't and its sustainable. some clubs pay people and it isn't sustainable. some clubs don't pay and it isn't sustainable.

At the end of the day its up to committee of the club to work out how best to run their club. Each club in the league faces its own unique challenges and deciding whether or not to pay players is only one.
by WOS Dragons
Mon May 26, 2014 3:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What is this, kids footy? You blokes have lost the plot.
by Q.
Wed May 28, 2014 3:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Everybody wanted to know why the wheels fell off, someone from their inner sanctum gave his opinion and gets shot down in flames.

If BP & the players were happy out there, they'd still be out there, they aren't the first club to have a rift between juniors and seniors and they sure as hell wont be the last.

I've always thought that Angle Vale went about things in the wrong manner but it really has nothing to do with me so who am I to judge, I thought it was always going to be hard once their core players retired and big Steve moved on. I did think that they'd still pull through given the growth in Munno Para West, the great suburb that Angle Vale has become and their facilities have the potential to match it with any other club.

I too wish Angle Vale all the best for the future, maybe they should meet up with some other local presidents and get a feel for how they operate, take notes and go back to the drawing board to come up with a structured plan.

They would've been an ideal candidate for the 8th team in the APFL but that seems an eternity away now compared to a year or two ago.
by Lightning McQueen
Thu May 29, 2014 11:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015: 7 Pure A-Grade Divisions

id be a bit concerned for houghton in a divvy 6 next year

without 6 or 7 big recruits,could they endure a similiar time to what mitchell parks and angles are having?

No.

Last two times we went up to D6, we were competitive. Next time I'd like us to make finals.
Turn it up :P

How about you jump ship again. Or burn bridges. You're good at both.
by Q.
Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Junior Football

FWIW, my little bloke is playing U6's (he's just turned 5) and I think the rules for zones, no kicking off the ground, no playing on after a mark and no tackling/bumping are great.

My son is slower than a lot of other players, so to get the footy, he has to be running to the right position - and he's learning to play to his strengths.

The zones are good because we've got a couple of kids who would dominate the others in our team. Our coaches to start with were against the rules but have warmed to them after seeing our kids in action.

The only thing I would like to see is the assistant coach be allowed on the ground too. That way while the coach is organising the players near the ball, the assistant coach could look after a group without it. As it is, if the ball is up the forward 1/3, the back 1/3rd are playing in sand, dancing, singing and even skipping!

Hilarious to watch though!!!!
by gadj1976
Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

On junior footy, I notice NEMJFA's use of sports pulse has stuffed up with the actual scores of games being posted rather than the sanitised mercy rule results.

Jo, jo, jo, first we have an unofficial free kick count of 36-4 (who would actually consider doing this) and now we have NEMJFA stuffing up because their computer program doesn't work properly. Get a life please.

Let the bloody kids play and enjoy football, it is about them, not you.
by Bulls forever
Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 4 2014

Don't be a dick and you won't get carded.
by Q.
Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 2 2014

The SMOSH WL player did come off the ground on the wrong side of the cone at the interchange gate during the 2nd quarter. Not in dispute…It appears the fat controller in his capacity of keeping time and player movements deemed this as a major breech in the regulations and the matter was referred on (exactly by whom in the GX camp is unclear and one can only speculate). I understand John Kernahan later confirmed that the umpires advised the Lion’s coach that the player was done for the day after it was brought to their attention.

On this occasion however it worked out okay. Karma has its way of sometimes telling individuals they don’t have to be ‘pricks’ every day of the week. That said many thanks were extended to the fat controller and any others involved for their due diligence in observing the rules which oddly may be construed as ironic given a particular “individuals” antics as previously alleged in this forum. The incident provided the visitors some very clear motivation and duly kicked 'arse' to leave Gepps on the bottom of the ladder upon leaving Duncan Fraser Reserve. Well done the Rams.
by Cohiba
Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Jets into div 2!
Trailed 5.7 to 1.1 early.
Wark 7. Takes 99 into the GF!
Uuuuu jets.
by catchisthecry
Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Save the date - medal count night

Footy Chick wrote:
Jetters wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:
Jetters wrote:Some absolutely ridiculous votes.

You're telling me... you were coming 2nd for a while there :lol: ;)

burn

:lol: Does Warky get your spot for kick for cash this year? ;)

Unley's bloke last year was worse than Mitchams...and that's saying something...
by HawkieRanger
Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

To clear things up - assuming people will believe me who have a vested interest not to...
I was in between the two stands where the video's were set up recording and had a perfect view of what was happening - right in front of me.
The first can definitely went from the Hawks camp into the Jets camp. This followed increasingly hostile and unsportsmanlike taunting of the Unley crowd as Modbury realised they were being gifted a flag and sought to rub it in. Rather than ignore this idiot minority (most there were well behaved) some of the Jets cohort taunted in response and the can incident then occurred. The said can was thrown back to it's owner - again, another lapse in judgement but not without provocation.
Sensing something bad was about to happen, I went into the main group of Hawks supporters who were attempting to incite the Unley people and merely began shaking hands and congratulating them on their win. I was clearly a Jets supporter and the effect was to take the heat out of the situation. I also suggested they return to celebrating their imminent win rather than focus on our crowd.. things then seemed to settle. The whole incident whilst ugly was over quickly, tho some verbal taunting from both sides continued for a little while until the final siren sounded.
Grainger set the best example by acknowledging our team in a positive way and was dignified in victory. Some Hawks supporters were clearly keen to put the boot in despite the game being over - says more about them as people than the club I'd suggest. I would point out the Jets side remained on the ground throughout the pressos in respect of the winning side, despite being shattered at the result knowing they missed a huge opportunity for a flag.
As for suggestions that we throw projectiles at people? - sledging maybe, but anyone who would risk our club reputation by acting violently would be asked to leave and not come back. I have been at every home game in the last 6 years and have never seen or heard of it happening, so that comment is somewhat slanderous I'd suggest. We have too much to lose and have our sights set on bigger goals and will not tolerate that kind of behaviour at the club. Many of us have worked too hard to get the club into Div 2 to see our efforts ruined by idiotic behaviour.
In short, emotions got the better of some from both sides, it's over now - everyone needs to move on.
by BigB
Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Carey, how would you respond to being the most heinous club in the saafl, or is it uncontestable??

We were beaten by a better side on the day and we feel shit about it.

But you behave like ferrals that no one wants to play against because they fear cowardly violence or umpire because they fear abuse and grotesque bullshit. . <edited: Uncalled for>

bad kicking for goal cost you when it counted.

At least you can say that the club is now a Div 2 club compared to some others which are still stuck in div 6.

The way the juniors are coming through the club is helping to make them good senior players, I reckon there would have been a good handful of players that played in the GF that would have been in the under 16s team I coached in 2010.
by Bluedemon
Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Coaches worth

Been hearing some amazing figures being bandied around for coaches in the SAAFL. Got me thinking about what a coach is worth. Lets not make this a I heard "X" gets paid $10000 a year and "Y" gets $7000 a year. More interested in what people think coaches should be paid in each division.

Heres my thoughts.

Div 1 - What ever you can get and the club can afford. Would think most coaches get $6K - $8K range or $333.33 a game to $444.44 ( all based on 18 games no finals). These guys are either proven or played a pretty high level and should have a sound knowledge of the game.

Div 2-3 - I think you would pay around the $4K to $5K range. Again $222.22 to $277.77 a game. You can take a punt on a few untried coaches at this level. Most coaches would have played SAAFL before and have a reasonable understanding of the game.

Div 4-5 - Should not be paying over $3K to the coach. $166.66 per game. Most made up of guys who played SAAFL at either the club they are coaching or a reasonable level. Get by a lot on reputation but are mostly untried when it comes to the coaching game. A lot of ex captains of clubs end up coaching at this level.

Div 6-7 - Should be paying $2K max. $111.11 a game. A lot of guys are doing it for the love of the game or the club at this level and deserve to be rewarded in some way. At this level you need someone who can recruit and get guys to your club. Not a lot of clubs in this grade have promising junior program ( I said not a lot but there are a few).

Overall these coaches probably spend 10 hours a week and should be rewarded but when you hear of Div 5 and 6 clubs being asked up to $10000 a year to coach them it makes you laugh.

Just my thoughts.

10 hours a week? I would think it could be up to 25 hours a week. I worked out that when I coached with phone calls, planning and time away from home I got about 20c an hour. And even then I think I wasnt able to dedicate enough time to it.
by gadj1976
Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think looking at coaches value on a per game/per season basis probably represents a poor measure for determining value. What you should be considering is how many hours that particular person is willing to put into your football club (per week) and the value of their hours.

Our coach spends 25-30 hours per week involved in our football club. It is impossible to be able to fairly compensate him for the time he puts in.
by jo172
Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Pag wrote:I would think the figures that LTTF stated at the top of the thread would be very, very conservative for the general SAAFL population.

Agreed. Infact I think all them figures would be well and truly unders of what 'most' clubs pay there coach's.
by carey
Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The players don't get paid in preseason so neither should the coaches.

As for 20-30 hours a week I find that hard to believe. Here is what I see. 2 hours Tuesday night, 2 hours Thursday night, 4 hours Saturday and 2 hours selecting players. 10 hours. There might e a few coaches who tape games and watch them again. Another 2 hours for them. However you are not going over tapes from other teams, watching there practice or getting scout reports. 12 hours is about the
Most I can see. Would love to know where the other hours are spent?

Don't know how any coach could operate on only 10 hours a week. I know my coach spends 4 hours at the club on a Tuesday night, 5-6 on a Thursday night, 12 hours on a Saturday (watching B's, coaching A's, presos etc.) and another 8 on a Sunday watching the juniors and coaching the U18's. That's about 30 hours just there. No to mention all the phone calls and meetings he has. The way I see it is, coaching a div 1 or div 2 club is a huge commitment and is just as time consuming as a full time job.
by Blackwhite
Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Following on from my last post, I have no idea what sort of pay coaches get but 15-20k a year is probably an appropriate figure for the work these guys put in.
by Blackwhite
Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Following on from my last post, I have no idea what sort of pay coaches get but 15-20k a year is probably an appropriate figure for the work these guys put in.
Yep.
Yours is the best going around ATM.

Really? What's Trent Mills then, Chopped liver?

6th flag in 10 years including 5 in a row. and undefeated minor premiers to boot.

Clearly Garry has achieved, I won't argue that point - but lets not forget was at the helm when the club went down 3 divs in as many years too....

take nothing away from his back to back flags but he's got a little way to catch up yet to the best coach in the league yet..
by Footy Chick
Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: APPS New recruiting rules - Your thoughts?

How does the points system work in the SAAFL for clubs that do not have junior grades or feeder schools?
What are clubs like Adelaide University, Central United, Flinders University, Greenacres, Houghton Districts, Mawson Lakes, North Pines, Smithfield & Wingfield Royals going to be able to do as their current groups retire off?
The clubs with juniors and the old scholars bloc are pretty obvious, but what rules are in place for the University clubs. Do the other clubs with no juniors have to rely on a minimum of recruits and then newbies?

Hopefully some of them do everyone a favour & fold
by X Runna
Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 4 - 2015

Footy Chick wrote:...otherwise go out bush where you can't harm anyone except yourselves ;)

That didn't help Border Downs Tintinara
by Look Good In Leather
Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Paging Jetters
by jo172
Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

That's what AFL want. So it will happen.
Apparently it will attract more kids and retain them longer. Anyone who disagrees is stuck in the past and uneducated.

Absolutely having a laugh with that statement surly ? when I was playing at 11 I wanted nothing more then to go out every weekend and win. I couldn't imagine it being any different for kids these days.

It's not about you, it's about the kids
by Look Good In Leather
Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 7 - 2015

Well it looks like the SPOS thing is up and running according to their FB site.

Good time for the Lakes to change their official mascot to the mozzie, like I suggested when they first moved ;)

Plus, it sounds catchier 8)

In all seriousness though, is there any word on how this will affect the Lakes, if at all?

I'd say Greenies and the Farmers could possibly be impacted too.

We really need another club in our area like a hole in the head.

Its up to SAAFL HQ to maintain the club numbers, not sure how they can bring a new club in when there are several clubs struggling to field teams

Make your club a better place to be at, rather than whinge about people leaving (not specifically directed at your club Suri)
by Q.
Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well it looks like the SPOS thing is up and running according to their FB site.

Good time for the Lakes to change their official mascot to the mozzie, like I suggested when they first moved ;)

Plus, it sounds catchier 8)

In all seriousness though, is there any word on how this will affect the Lakes, if at all?

I'd say Greenies and the Farmers could possibly be impacted too.

We really need another club in our area like a hole in the head.

Its up to SAAFL HQ to maintain the club numbers, not sure how they can bring a new club in when there are several clubs struggling to field teams

Make your club a better place to be at, rather than whinge about people leaving (not specifically directed at your club Suri)

Couldn't agree more.

It's not up to the SAAFL to protect poorly operating clubs
by jo172
Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Clubs squished together....

Gaza is a hell of a long way from Israel/Palestine
by jo172
Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 6 - 2015

manbitesdog wrote:Brahma signed Tim Aloisi last night looks like they are pulling a decent side together

There's a quote about those that learn nothing from history being deemed to repeat it (hi Kilburn)
by jo172
Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I realise that Kilburn/Brahma recruiting past players is almost a necessity due to the points system/lack of junior resources and to an extent they don't have much choice if they wish to become instantly competitive.

But for those of us looking on from the sidelines there's something very cringeworthy about watching the exact players who got them in their various perilous situations coming back after each having dropped a few grades.

Quite literally when the going got tough these players got going.
by jo172
Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How f#cking embarrassing for this football club and its players.

Your club evidently offers no value to its players, so they are only there for the cash. No cash no players.

Your players have absolute pea hearts and will only play when the going is good and easy.

I suspect both.

And the decision to reunite this combination = genius. Just oozes sustainability.[/quote]

Jetters you are very quick to jump down brahma and other clubs that maybe got it wrong in the pasted. How about giving everyone your solutions to fixing the problem. Maybe we could just fold and everyone move to the "successful" clubs [/quote]

Isnt that what happend last year? You blokes practically folded and all the players went to a more successful club (Salisbury West/Eastern Park)
Agree completley with Jetters!
by Burras
Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm very much a hater of BL, so if the comment is sink the boots in guys we love it is all the rage!!

After reading the comment about north haven spending heaps of cash on 4 players...my response to that is good on them as they have the ability to do so and I can't remember the last time north haven asked to be dropped into easier divisions because it all got to hard!

Havens had a big loss of players at one stage but took there medicine, banded together and pulled through resulting in 3 reserves grand finals in a row and a grand final birth in the A grade and a promotion! It's like a few posters have said.... BL just don't spend the money right [color=#FF0000]<edited - no need to get personal>[/color]

I would hate to be involved in a club like BL who show no respect to the faithful. All your victories are hollow and I hope the slide or battle continues!
by superboot7
Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ratio of juniors/non juniors

What the numbers so far show (Goodwood notwithstanding) is the true (and unfortunately obvious and hard to fix) root of Brahma/Mitchell Park/Kilburn's problems.

At it seems a majority of clubs the large majorities of playing groups are made up from junior ranks.
maybe only clubs with large numbers of juniors in their sides are putting them here. the others dont want to be seen as another brahma/kilburn
by Alan
Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I thought they announced his junior club as Plympton on the telecast?
by S Demon
Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

went for a run thursday night at Brahma Lodge 38 blokes out on the track seen at least 12 of the div 4 grand final side running around plus current recruits

Brahma Lodge by a country mile in div 6 dont think any team stands a chance against them
LOL! So cute... Brahma Lodge pussy cats - average team, full of above average attention seekers, coached by a glory hunter who failed at two clubs in the past two seasons in THE SAME DIVISION.

Winning the flag is nothing to hold your hat on knowles - no different to forcing Ingle Farm to D7 so youi could be a "premiership coach" - you and your club cheated the system and you are going to cash in on the SAAFL kind heart..
by no_remorse28
Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 2 - 2015

Not sure if its been mentioned but Luke Harder has signed with Unley
by Slots It Through
Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Honestly think about 40% of the decisions umpires make at this level would be technically incorrect or not within the spirit of the game. Of course that's completely anecdotal and I have nothing empirical to back it up. Obviously there are games where they get it right most of the time.

Considering the AFL thinks their umpires get approx 15% of their decisions wrong (1) , it wouldn't be anywhere near out of the question that a D6 amateur umpire would be going at 40%.

Also, shocked and disgusted that teams are specifically discussed at umpires training. Talk about prejudice. Make each decision on its merits FFS.

(1) http://www.deakin.edu.au/arts-ed/apprj/articles/12-gill.pdf

I don't understand why people worry about umpires. I have played 14 years of footy between div 6 and div 4 and I reckon I could count on one hand the number of times an umpire has had a significant impact on the result. Yes they make mistakes but so do the players. Its a lot more likely that a players mistake will impact a result than an umpires mistake.
by WOS Dragons
Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: F***ing Umpires

As someone that complains more than most on the footy field, I've never sworn at umpires or called names. You gotta respect what they do. The games where I've managed to stay calm and not question every 50-50 decision, I've been much more likely to get a free kick if it's there. It's amazing when you're more focused on the ball rather than the man or the umpire, that you're far more likely to get something in your favour. Umps are told to protect the player going for the ball at the end of the day.

An umpires decision is only paid on what they actually see. If they are watching from a different angle, then they're likely to see something different to what others would.
I bet if we taped all games and watched close ups of those "bullshit decisions", I reckon you'd be surprised how often they're right.

Also, the umps are instructed to pay certain free kicks. So while we all may think it bullshit, it's what the umps are told to do (eg. A player ducking their head into a player, actually receives a free for "too high", even though he initiates the contact.)

And when the white line fever stops once the final siren goes, it's hard to think that the umpire is actually out there to cheat for a particular side. (In the upper divisions that is anyway.....)
by bird of prey
Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 5 - 2015

FFS do I have to explicitly explain everything for everyone all of the time.

About 2 years ago I made fun and offered some genteel jibes at CLG after they were trying to poach a couple of our players. Which they were, despite their protests. You can define what "poach" means if you like, but some of our players were getting offers from CLG, either though official channels or not, to jump from MP to CLG.

Anyway, at the time, scottroo and zedman flew off the handle and had an all around hissy fit and lost their marbles at me for saying just that. Which I and others found absolutely hilarious. So now I very deliberately poke fun at this story and in general poke fun at CLG because it makes them mad and everyone else laugh. Finals chokes, hair gel, champagne glasses, poaching our players, kicking bins etc etc etc

Hence my post way back saying the CLG are up to their old tricks and trying to poach MPFC players - even if it did have a peppercorn of truth in it due to Coxy training with them.

To be honest mate I think you're the only person who found it funny
by scottroo
Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So, correct me if im wrong, not 1 club in div 4 would back themselves to go up to Div 3 and be competitive enough to avoid relegation? Since I would think that would be the aim should you go up at late notice, solidifying your spot in the division would be a good year IMO.. No club here thinks they could do that?
Perhaps the clubs think they have built a good enough squad to win a premiership in Div 4 (and only one of them will be right) and with only a couple of months until Round 1 don't want to have a year of just "hanging on" in Div 3 and would rather have a red hot crack at winning a flag. Isn't that what we're all in it for? These are my individual thoughts only

From a HV point of view, we were 10-15 goals worse than Golden Grove who are currently the 9th best team in Div 3. So we would come in as the 10th best side and be 10-15 goals behind them! It's a simplistic view, but thats the reality of it
by S Demon
Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's not just the playing side of things, clubs should organically grow to that level so that every aspect of the club is building not just a playing list of 21 blokes.

The team that finished 3rd last year could handle it but looks like Eastern Park have lost a few players so I understand their reasons.

I can tell you our reasons. We've had three seasons in Div 3 of seven wins, five wins, and last year two against Kilburn, which in any other Div 3 season would've been a winless season. We have 0 clearances in so far, so the improvements needed to go from 0 genuine Division 3 wins to the 5-6 needed to stave off relegation aren't quite visible at the minute. We played in a GF in 2011, went up and had a crack, have dropped off each year as guys have retired/left, and are now back at a Division 4 level, which is our rightful level as it stands. Guys who played through all three of these losing seaons (myself included) are excited about the prospect of being more competitive this year and spirits are higher. As horrible as it is, our bar takings across the three years in Div 3 dropped each year as the wins dropped off. That's reality. We need to be in a competition where we can be competitive so we can survive on-and-off field. We also had a crack at this opportunity nearly 10 years ago when Edwardstown left, it didn't work, we won one game and were relegated.

We are not risking a sustainable on and off-field future for our footy club because another club couldn't sort their own out.
by Pag
Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What sort of ship are you running that you go broke after a month?!
by Q.
Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

They've had enough favours, maybe they would get a nicer draw in their correct division
by beef
Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

beef wrote:They've had enough favours, maybe they would get a nicer draw in their correct division

Put them in Div 3 then the bye is gone in both grades.
by Arch44
Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |