Search found 21 matches

Return

Re: Crows 2014

Ted E Bear wrote:Betts and Pods were poor recruits and Rutten finished.

Not sure about Rutten being done but Pods is gone and Eddie is still a massive frontrunner
by Jim05
Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Regarding the 'SANFL Showdown' yesterday, the SANFL used to be something footy people could watch that didn't involve the AFL.

There are nine AFL matches every week, with a TV channel 24/7 devoted to the AFL, and pages in the paper everyday on the AFL. Few would argue that there is an AFL saturation.

I've never been completely interested in the AFL, but at least until this season it was discreet enough not to pitch its talons into the SANFL. Until this season.

An attraction for many people to the SANFL was the fact that it wasn't the AFL - it was a point of difference.

The invasion of the AFL into the SANFL thus eliminates the point of difference. As if there wasn't enough AFL on the screen already, you can now sit down, turn on the TV to see the SANFL and end up with the Crows and the Power. Really it beggars belief that it can permeate that far.

It really is amazing how much AFL people want to see, and that they can't realize that some people liked the SANFL because it didn't involve it. It's hard to put into words how baffling it is that the people who are meant to be the custodians of the South Australian game actually thought that it was a good idea to extend the AFL saturation even further and get rid of this point of difference.

I simply can't fathom the joy certain Crows and Power fans have at seeing reserves teams in the SANFL.

Watching part of the match yesterday, I thought, if the 40,000 pieces of silver a year keep the league going, then great, but really, what is the point? What is the point of the SANFL continuing if the match of the round is Crows v Power? Why not just can it and show re-runs of the real Showdown if people love the AFL teams that much.

In brief, if the SANFL is now all about AFL team v AFL team, what is the &%$#ing point?

Vent over. Cheers,

RB.
by RB
Mon May 05, 2014 11:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Went to my first SANFL game Sat night at Richmond Oval, ive never been to an SANFL trial game but confident I can now say I have, zero atmosphere, zero enthusiasm and a family/friends crowd.

Almost the first person I saw when I walked in had a crows jumper on with a Westies scarf...enough to make you throw up...

One thing I did notice is the Crows had a significantly longer and harder warm up prior to the game, almost as if they want their players to play 5 quarters for a greater fitness base if they go up to AFL.

Also walked past them warming up in the 2nd half, unbelievably sterile...not pumping up of each other at all. Its what we all feared simply a development tool that puts its need ahead of the competition that they said they would respect.

Then there are some skinny country footballers that have no place on a SANFL team, they just serve a purposes for the Crows to put a side on the field.

You must feel for some of them that would have enjoyed escaping the AFL bubble for a few hours each weekend by going back to a traditional club under the old model. Now there is no escape and I struggle to see how they would be enjoying their footy, which can;t be good for their club overall.

If the SANFL isn't dead, its dying and even if the AFL teams are removed in coming years, the damage has been done, it will never be the same.
by Dutchy
Mon May 12, 2014 2:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

There is so much done to equalise sporting competitions throughout the world (drug testing, salary cap, drafts, handicaps) and what has happened to the SANFL is going the polar opposite to this. No matter which way you look at it, the introduction of two AFL Reserves teams is not fair.

There are positives and negatives and those who see a fair, even competition, as the number one consideration are rightly bemused by what has happened.

From an AFL viewpoint, the consideration of an even, fair competition is outweighed by the need for developing players and for them, currently at least, the best option is to do this in their own backyard both in terms of value for money and strength of competition. They will tell themselves that there is increased exposure to the SANFL. Dittmar said it's been great, then when asked if he'd been to an SANFL game this season, said "no, but have enjoyed watching some games on tv, especially the Clare game".

I am not convinced that the increased exposure to the SANFL via commercial TV is even close to benefiting my club enough to outweigh the negatives that come with the new format. There is no more coverage of my SANFL club than there was before. In fact, I would say there is less. I guess we'd have to wait to see the finances from this years Annual Reports to really know.

There are other ways, including having a weekly SANFL game at Adelaide Oval, that would give the competition prestige and generate interest. The use of social media and the web is more important than paying $1,000,000 to have the game shown on Ch7 - which is essentially the only benefit the AFL clubs have bought (via sponsorship) to the competition.

The Eagles vs Sturt game at Unley Oval, with a crowd of 4000, which was directly up against both Crows and Power games on the same day told me that there is enough interest in the SANFL for it to be viable without the "assistance" of AFL clubs.

What is desperately needed is the SANFL administration to apply the spirit in which 5RPH and LifeFM have to the competition to generate interest and use the capital they should have to make it high quality for the current HD generation.

I think the SANFL would be best to cut ties with Port and the Crows at the end of the season. If Port Magpies win the SANFL premiership this year, it will be an absolute disgrace.

There are other ways to keep relevance for a younger generation of footballers and an alignment between the AFL and SANFL and that is to supply Port and Crows with top up players via Under 20's to use in whatever competition they could go to (preferably AFL Reserves or at least VFL). I believe this could apply nationally with alignment of elite Under 18 sides to all AFL and State League clubs, but that is another matter. Keep Junior Football, Development/Reserves Football and State League Football - which can all still be feeders to the AFL - separate.

For now, I reckon the SANFL bite the bullet and go it alone. The mainstream media, who all seem to be official ambassadors for the Crows (http://www.afc.com.au/the-club/information/ambassadors), will give the SANFL hell, but I'm not convinced it is the mainstream media who will ensure the SANFL survives and prospers anyway.

The SANFL will never be the number one show in town, but it has a niche, and I'd love to see the SANFL and its clubs make every post a winner NOW, while there is still strong enough links to SANFL clubs for the majority of families in South Australia.
by Aerie
Tue May 13, 2014 3:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 7 - Port Magpies v South @ Alberton Oval (Sat 17/5

For a club who rightly voted against this fiasco i would like to see South rest the majority of our best players and play a number of reserves players to get experience against an AFL side and by doing so voice their displeasure against this uneven playing field. Sadly they won't and we'll all see the result of a game between full-time professional footballers against part-time semi professional footballers that will further embarrass the SANFL in allowing this disaster to take place.
by darley16
Tue May 13, 2014 10:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Glenelg Senior Coach 2014

Finally - someone from our club is showing some fight and aggression.
by maxyoz
Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Crowds vs port are just as relevant as any other.
How many pies and pasties did the 8 dinkum clubs sell at those games then?

Would have thought the Clare footy clubs would have greatly appreciated the support, as well as the foundation set up for the young lad who was killed by the play equipment.

But I guess that is all secondary to the amount of pies sold at unley
by bennymacca
Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Congratulations Norwood

Congratulations Norwood: the best performed sovereign team in a compromised competition. What a shame that it will be forced to play a scratch match next week for the sake of getting game time into another league's reserve players, rather than earning its title in a Grand Final against another properly-matched sovereign team.

Congratulations South Adelaide: pure minor premiers, and thus the best performed team by the only possible measure between properly-matched sovereign teams. What a shame - and indeed farce - that the Panthers were forced to battle from fourth position on the compromised ladder.

I might have gone to next week's game as a matter of support for the league, had it been between two proper opponents. As it is, the season is now over. Thus ends the first year under occupation from that bastard eastern league. I look forward to when the interlopers leave - for whatever reason - and Our League is restored.
by Pseudo
Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 SANFL GRAND FINAL NORWOOD V PA RESERVES

Onto the game, can Port get a ruckman from somewhere ?
Bauldy and Dawe will dominate Bruggy and Harvey as every side has this finals.
Port need to play J Butcher if he declares himself fit as they have nothing up forward. They have a reasonable defence and 8-10 top class (SANFL level) onballers is where they get the advantage. They bat deeper in the midfield.
Will Jimmy Allen play?
Looking forward to a great game and the Legs getting up in a close one.

As for what they are called or what they chant, isn't that their prerogative?, they have a side in the competition - wether it be a reserves or thirds side, they have a team in our competition.
Maybe McEvoy can play for them too.
by cennals05
Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Asian Cup 2015

Not sure if anyone saw the Foxtel panel at half time, Rudan and Aloisi basically saying Williams is bent, penalizes those who've criticized him in the past, etc. I'll be interested in the fallout from it (is kickinit an expert in defamation too?). Entertaining TV.

On a more serious note, I don't know how Williams gets a gig in the A-League, let alone the Asian Cup, let alone the World Cup.
by RB
Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Glenelg FC

Further to my earlier post - the two clubs that voted NO were not penalised, both still got their AFL Funded dividend and were no better or worse off than the 6 clubs who voted Yes. The spin doctors who point to crowd stats to support the argument about their inclusion are people who can't see that stats can be manipulated to suit an arguement depending on what view / angle you take.

I have read just about all the Clubs financial reports for 2014 and I cannot see anywhere in any of the figures where the inclusion of AFL Clubs into our comp helped or looks like helping long term re the perilous situations some clubs find themselve in re revenue and servicing large debts. I think personally that the situation will get worse over time and the spin fed by the likes of Trigg and Chapman re the $$$ windfall would bring the SANFL will prove to be what it is - a bunch of lies.
by on the rails
Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

There is a lot of discord on here and a lot of " get over it" or "move on"
But step back for a second. Those who feel passionately about not having Reserve teams in the SANFL have a right to push their cause, and where else are they expected to do this other than on a football forum dedicated to the SANFL.

Anyone who suggests they should raise it with their clubs should think first.
A) Don't you think these people, so passionate about their league, haven't already done that?
B) During the whole 'debate', such as it was, how many of the 6 clubs that voted yes actually asked for their own members views?
C) Ergo, the clubs not having asked for views let alone votes from members, how many are likely to acknowledge or accept any dissension from any members?

In other words, where else are these passionate supporters of the SANFL supposed to vent their protests other than on a football forum dedicated to the SANFL ?
I note that many who take the "move on" or "get over it" stance are either Port Adelaide supporters or have the Crows as their AFL team. Either way those same people have an obvious loyalty to the AFL or their reserve sides and not ultimately to the SANFL.

Personally I think it is a shame what has happened to the SANFL forum on SAFooty.net and feel for the administrators who need to generate income to pay for the site. Many members have stopped posting, traffic certainly seems to be on the wane and this might be a worry for the admin team ?

I am sure the "move on" or "get over it" brigade will point the finger at the 'whingers' for driving posters away, without a single consideration that some posters have "moved on" and "got over it" by changing sports codes or just lost interest altogether. Or god forbid decided that the SANFL is no longer for them and neither is an SANFL forum.

I have a genuine sympathy for those SANFL supporters who oppose the unilateral decisions made by 'Their' clubs. I've taken the stance to continue supporting my club by way of memberships and sponsorship but I certainly feel the SANFL has been degraded by the inclusion of the AFL Reserve sides. But it is an easier decision for me, not standing on the outer every week watching my team.
I also acknowledge the absolute frustration, anger and genuine angst many members feel that a club they have supported all their lives made a fundamental league changing decision without having the opportunity to not only vote on the issue but even have a say.

Remember for true SANFL fans, like fans of other sports, their club is for life. It's part of their family, it's their wife, son and daughter, it's their best mates and a way of life. Those who feel betrayed by their club will feel genuine anger and heartache which sometimes you can't just "get over it" or "move on".

And if you think it's all bullshit, think how you feel when your team loses a grand final !! Now transfer that feeling every day of the week, every week of the season. It might be a bit easier when you have 2 teams, an AFL team and an SANFL team and therefore you genuinely don't understand what all the fuss us about? Well good luck to ya. Not everyone feels the same.
by johntheclaret
Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just kicking the two teams out of the SANFL may make the small number of people on this forum happy but there is a wider football community that also need to be considered when getting the right model.
Clowns reserves make an even smaller number of people happy, given that two dozen people turn up to their matches - and you have the temerity to speak of benefit to a "wider football community"?

Sheesh...
by Pseudo
Wed May 13, 2015 10:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Norwood v Crows 2.10 Saturday

There's a punchup over on the Redlegs forum!
They're starting to eat their own already :-)
Back to the footy, I saw the first quarter, that would have to be the smallest crowd I have seen at Norwood oval!!
Plenty of Norwood fans I know are boycotting the games against the AFL sides.
What is the stoush over?
Im guessing there are still a few Norwood people tongueing Joe's nuts, hope those people are happy at what is happening currently. The comp and club wont be around in 5 years time thanks to that **** bending over
by Jim05
Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So yes, i agree with others that there should be a national AFL reserves comp. But this will also hurt the SANFL. It will be "pure" as some people want it, but it will be at a much lower standard, and with that will come continued dwindling crowds.

It shouldn't have to be, but I fear you're right.

One thing I've always disliked about modern footy, is that any and every kid is given the opportunity to play AFL if good enough, but once they've been removed from the AFL system there goes any reasonable chance to make a living from the sport. The AFL won't spend any money on players other than for development purposes. The argument is if players aren't playing in their competition then why should they? But I would have thought they were also custodians of the game? Hard to do justice to that role when you're eyeing off dollar the game makes around the country and want it all for your own.

If/when a national Reserves competition comes into play, it would be nice (in a dream world) if the AFL and other leagues agreed on top-up players not being older than 24. It would then leave a pretty decent pool of talent for the SANFL, VFL, WAFL etc to function almost as D-Leagues, where players could ply their onfield trade for decent remuneration. Perhaps not enough to make a living from, but certainly enough to subsidise other employment income for a healthy earning whilst they're playing.

AFL would remain the best standard, other leagues would stay strong (or increase in strength), and a pool of ready made mature aged players exists for AFL clubs should they have a need. Win/win I would have thought, but I appear to be on my pat malone with that one.
by JK
Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This is all very constructive. I think we're close to resolving this.

=)) =)) =)) =))

and as usual your pot shots from the sidelines are the most constructive posts in here. thanks for your contribution

No problems mate. It's not any more or any less constructive than the diatribe of drivel that's going around and around in circles achieving **** all.

But please, go on.

lately its only been going in circles due to your fellow power supporters spouting off bullshit that has already been covered. maybe you could have a word to them for us?

or you could continue to laugh at the league that helped your club get to where it is, and poke fun at those that arent happy about it. your choice
by tipper
Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Maybe the pro AFL boys can start a " Yes to AFL in the SANFL" thread, that waywe can continue our Port bashing in peace over here ;)
by Jim05
Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: financial projections

Glenelg lost people with the appalling way that they chose to treat their members with the refusal to allow them any say in the vote on admitting the AFC to the SANFL, it would be fair to say the GFC had the worst 'consultation' of any of the clubs and members were openly treated with contempt. - The same group of members the board needs to step in and save the club.
I don't know that Glenelg's was the worst. IIRC Sturt didn't even 'consult' with its members; the Blues delegate voted Yes and that was it.

Not trying to defend Glenelg here. I know a number of people who dropped membership as a result of Chiggy's vote. This number would not be a majority, but significant nonetheless. I imagine the same is true of the membership of the other 5 bendover clubs.

At that information night Chiggy expressed grave concern for the future of the club and the league in its then-current state and opined that admitting the clowns into the league would breathe new life into it: media coverage would increase, the Clowns would help promote games at Glenelg, interest in the league would rise, and the Clowns would pay all SANFL clubs for the privilege of playing in the league.

Fair to say that after 2 years very little of this has eventuated. Media coverage is no greater; apart from a single page of writeups hidden 20 pages deep in the sport section and a ten-second recital of scores from around the grounds on the evening news bulletin, there is nothing - unless there is either news pertinent to the clowns or the smears (Jpod pushing for selection after 10 goal bag!), or significant bad news concerning one of the sovereign clubs (Bays/Eagles/Bloods up against the wall!). I have seen no attempt by either AFL club to promote games in the zones of the clubs in which they are scheduled to play. Allegedly some clowns players turned up at a shopping mall with a few Bays players once ... but I've yet to hear of AFL clubs visiting the school at which my kids attend - something which was promised at the information night. I have received free tickets to Glenelg games from the school - but never for games against interlopers (not that I'd use them). Heck, the Eagles did their own promotion of games against AFL clubs in their zone to good effect - did the AFL clubs do anything? Interest in the league has noticeably decreased. Anecdotal evidence suggests that the clowns have close to zero support at SANFL games - a far cry from the promised 4000 per game. A cursory analysis of crowd statistics shows that the smears have the second-worst away game attendance of all participating teams; the average attendance at home games involving AFL clubs in the 2015 season was below average for all but one of the sovereign SANFL clubs. Presumably the clubs are getting their 50000 pieces of silver from the clowns - one wonders how much of this is eroded by abandoned membership money, and reduced take at the game from the people who are not attending. From all reports the other interloper has not paid a cent, and is doing its best to weasel out of honouring its financial agreement. You make a deal with the devil, you get what you deserve.

Perhaps Glenelg would still be up the creek if the interlopers had never been admitted, perhaps not. Certainly one thing would be different if Chiggy (and his mates on the SANFL commission) had voted NO: Glenelg would be facing death on its feet, instead of on its knees.
by Pseudo
Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Where to for Glenelg

There's a few people here who get it. Plenty of other SANFL clubs have cried poor and been saved by rattling the tins. But Glenelg is the first one to hit the skids, having betrayed its members and as part of a competition drowning in apathy. I seriously doubt there are enough people who'll dig deep enough into their pockets to save a side so they can go and watch them play four games against AFL reserves teams per year. The competition is not like it was, it's not what we want and I doubt it ever will be again. I suspect Glenelg will disappear, And they won't be the last ones. You reap what you sow in this world and those responsible at the Bay are going to have to live with that.
by Harry the Horse
Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Where to for Glenelg

Imagine if the full forward walked away because the coach didn't listen to how he wanted the game plan structured. Goodbye and good riddance.
You just can't, or won't, understand, it appears.

Where do I start? Firstly, your analogy is false.

The league directors, guys like Chiggy, Kurt Slaven and Bohdan Jaworskliklkky can't possibly be compared to the coach of a football club, and the supporter groups a team of players.

The coach of a football team is appointed on account of his experience, knowledge of football gameplans, man management, and ability to motivate a team.

The club presidents, boards etc. are elected by the members to make decisions representative of the views, aims and concerns of the members. Their only authority is derived from the members, and it is their duty to act in accordance with the will of the members.

The league directors are not absolute monarchs.

To use WWTFC as an example, if Slaven had said loudly and clearly to all the members before the AGM at the start of 2013, if I'm elected I'm going to vote to insert AFL reserves teams in the SANFL, and if he had been elected, then of course he would have been right to vote that way.

But he did not do this.

Of course it isn't practical to consult with the members over every single minor decision. But given the controversy and extremely strong feelings over this issue, and given that (as I'm sure you'll agree) it would be very difficult to reverse this decision at a later date, it was absolutely vital that Slaven got the members on board before making the decision to vote in favour.

Unless I was very, very much mistaken, the atmosphere in the room during the 'Information Night', was one of hostility to the reserves sides' inclusion.

Slaven not only made the wrong decision IMO, but the lack of democracy involved is an absolute indictment of his management of the club. This is why your analogy of players not listening to the coach is false.

To put it simply, the fans owe no blind faith to the president. The opposite is true. The league directors owe all their authority to the members.

To be honest, I hardly attend WWTFC games now (I saw 22/22 minor round + finals games in 2013) not because of my disappointment in my decision, but because of the way football and football clubs have changed, and my general lack of interest in the new regime. I used to structure my weekends around the footy. Now, I don't see the Eagles as the no. 1 priority.

I believe that I am not alone in feeling that my club has abandoned me, not the other way around. The difference from 2013, apart from the reserves teams themselves? Passion. Like many, I have lost the passion. It was previously passion for my club, and the SANFL, that drove me to spend time and money at the club. Like many, I now feel blasé about attending games.

You're obviously a passionate supporter of both the Power and the Magpies, the Power's reserve side in the SANFL. You're perfectly entitled to have your own views on the introduction of the reserves teams, or not to have any views at all on it.

However, there's no reason why you would understand the passion of others, and your 'good riddance' mentality shows that you have failed to grasp how important the integrity, sovereignty, and soul of the competition are to other people on this forum...
by RB
Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2017 SANFL Grand Final

Who in their right mind would think to attack Summo? What has he ever done wrong? Besides love his club and get the most out of himself

What an absolute peanut comment
Loved his club that much that he launched a tirade on them over social media and then went grovelling back to them when the dollars came pouring in. Absolute turn coat. Got what he deserved
by Jim05
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |