Return

Re: Your 2014 predictions

You obviously don't rate Glenelg.
by RB
Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 4 2014

Sorry for intruding but.... I'm sure Brahma Lodge put a lot of faith in the people they chose to take the club forward. All of a sudden they all leave and they are left with nothing. People, what happened to getting behind the Aussie battler and not kicking them when they're down. We can talk all day about the mistakes, but this club is trying to save themselves from extinction. Where they play is irreverent , as long as they play. Compassion is not something experienced in footy all that often, but atm, we all need to work for a strong league and all clubs are part of that. I'll go now, with friends or not.
By "faith" you mean "money", right?

No compassion from me. We lost a Grand Final to them by 100pts two years ago. No one from Brahma Lodge was crying to the league that day. I'm sorry, but if you live by the sword, you die by the sword.

They should have been made to stay in Div 4 as per the rules and taken on the chin whatever came their way
by S Demon
Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 1 2014

wow well theyve got all their premiership stars back, lets all piss our pants, but not a single name has been mentioned yet Do you put a great deal of effort into being a self righteous fwit or does it come naturally?

well unfortunately for u im not a self righteous fwit but hopefully youll find someone soon who is and you can be a self righteous fwit together. good luck on your exploration i wish u the best. youll find someone, i just know u will

meanwhile thankyou to bird of prey for filling us in with some factual information, gaza suddenly, with proof actually might now look the goods for finals footy cheers

My pleasure. How bout you "like" me then. The donuts next to it make me feel lonely and unloved :(
by bird of prey
Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Don't worry mate,just get through the year and stay in div 4.
by Nichdanmatt
Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL division 6 2014

The best bit about that Facebook post was whoever got it had to take a photo of the screen. Try the print screen button brah.
by morell
Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

They should have won more games with 25 out there
by Mr Beefy
Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Reserves Round 1 / League Trial Games

smac wrote:Who cares about reserves?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Adelaide and Port?
by MightyEagles
Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Para Districts Cricketer gets 5 year ban

F##king Facebook when will you idiots work it out.....

People are so stupid we have currently advertised for positions at work the first thing my work do once the applications are in is go through facebook and look at there profiles and filter through them. If you want ya sh!t out there post what you want! If your business is your business leave your day to day business to your self! Cause we couldn't give a f@#k anyway......

I don't think the PDCA should've suspended him for 5 years but on the other hand I think serves you right for being so stupid!
by carey
Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

From an email sent to clubs today:

Both Mitchell Park and Flinders University have experienced a mass exodus of players & or retirements with both clubs going from 3 teams each in 2013 to 1 team each in 2014. Both clubs are in the process of establishing a Memorandum of Understanding which will see them join forces with the Mitchell Park FC competing in the Division 6 and Flinders University in 6 Reserves. Players will be selected on merit and will interchange from one side to the other just as other clubs do from A to B grade and vica verca. Given the late notice, the Division 6 Reserves team will still wear the FUFC uniform to honour sponsorship agreements written before today.

Possibly the best outcome given the circumstances.
by heater31
Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Clubs in strife

Clubs with strong juniors are thriving not struggling.

School based clubs seem to becoming more organised and maintaining a stronger connection with old scholars.

Is it just that 65 clubs or whatever it is is not sustainable?

I guess it works as any business and the market will ultimately work itself out, maybe its the amount of clubs that exist now is unsustainable and exceeds demand. Many have mentioned how close clubs are together, maybe its just too many and we are seeing the reduction of clubs for fewer clubs with more teams.
by Jetters
Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

http://www.gullies.com.au/seniors

sensational prices....

They are the same as Modbury, think the fees are $230 which includes the $30 sporting club membership.

To play cricket at TTGDCC fees are over $300
Ours are similar. $250 for A's and B's. $140 for U18's. Also includes a sporting club membership

We introduced a "Pay as you play" system for the C & D Grade this year. $40 up front for every player, then $10 per game. Don't play, don't pay. This ensures we get the same amount of money coming in weekly, rather than 60 odd blokes paying part subs for the whole year and then disappearing. Easier to budget for too.

Works out cheaper overall if you play every game, but we will actually get more $$ by the end of the year from the lower grades than in previous years..
by S Demon
Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 3 2014

Giving Kilburn the benefit of the doubt is a helluva lot better than playing musical chairs with every division a week out from round one.
by Q.
Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

one problem you have is N.E.M.J.A structure is very good at the moment compared to what the SAAFL offered at the time footy chick like i said working together would be just as easy
by Robb_Stark
Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Everyone has ignored it so far, so why wouldn't you join your juniors in a league where you know the rules will do their best to ensure a more even playing field?

Because who wants to get to an 8am Under 8 game at Smithfield when they live at Mitchell Park? Why would that be a threat?

Edit - I don't mean going to Smithfield, I mean MP having to play Smiffies

Well, as I live just the other side of Smithfield, I figure the issue would be the fact that if you were from Mitchell Park an 8am game would mean you'd need to be at the ground by 7.15. Which means leaving home by 6.30 at the latest. Which means getting yourself up at 5.50 and getting the kid up at 6. I reckon a few parents would baulk at that.

However, nothing wrong with running north/east/west and south zones for junior footy if SAAFL did take it over.
by Dogwatcher
Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 3 2014

i can think of a way kilburn struggle to get one side up send them down to div 7 and im sure we can find a team in C1,C2,C3,C4 who will play as a reserves side for them or im sure there are still 1-2 clubs in a bit of trouble still.....

example Kilburn go down to div 7 and the Pooraka C grade comes in as a filler as the reserve side...pooraka C grade players could play in the Kilburn line up and vice versa SAAFL and Pooraka could police it easy cause at the end of the day Pooraka would not field any B grade or border line A graders in its C grade to that could be used to help a kilburn

It's already rubbish that a C-grade team is playing in the D7-reserves (D-Grade level comp) and that clubs and their volunteers are split over two venues in one day and your suggestion is to do it again... No thanks.
by Q.
Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

so there is hope for mitchell park, angle vale, flinders uni to survive? or unless they inject some revenue into some cattle, are their days inevitably numbered?

also i think its crap that a powerhouse club like flinders park get to just randomly drop their cgrade, they should be made to fight it out and endure the sludge at the bottom of the ladder.

kilburn too, they dug the hole their in, make em stay in div 3 and a bye in reserves. no matter what happens theyre set for relegation to div 4 next year and if they cant keep the club alive by summer 2015, withdraw the affiliation totally and bring 3 clubs up to div 4 next year

for once i agree with you marbles..i cant believe their balls in asking for it tbh..oh no..you might play a season where you dont play in the finals..heres a tissue..
by zedman
Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HFL Country Division

jo172 wrote:
carey wrote:Did I hear correct that sedan have just paid $250 a game to a Div 6 reserves player? Wow :shock:

Elmo?

Are you taking the piss?

His brother/best mate/whomever must be pretty good
by the milky bar kid
Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Robb_Stark wrote: clearly you know nothing of the north

Robb Stark channeling Ygritte.
by Dogwatcher
Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Six Quarter trial matches? What's the point?

Six quarters is also equal to three halves.
by Q.
Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So there has been a bit of chat in here about demographics, location and geography. Good stuff! People are thinking about the real issues rather than the more typical “club must be run by muppets” “no-one wants to play for your club” “club has poor culture” “club should pay players” palaver than usually gets trotted out.

Anyway, I’m a spatial analyst during the week and washed up footballer on the weekends, so the combination of these two means these thought processes kind of tickle my fancy.

I went through the following very quick analysis, hoping to see if there was a pattern or evidence in what everyone was thinking.

Roughly, I did this:

1. Mapped all the club locations – thanks to the SAAFL Google maps website for the coordinates. Also included nearby SFL clubs
2. Download age profiles for SA1’s (the polygon boundaries) from the ABS.
3. Add up “Football aged men” for each SA1. I did 17 to 40 males.
4. According to the ABS the participation rate for these ages for football averages to 5%, so I took 5% of all of those people and considered them the “player pool” for that SA1
5. This was too simplistic. What if you had quite good numbers for your local area but were surrounded by clubs who sapped them all?
6. Created a “100 player” catchment area for each club. So, how big is the circle until that club has 100 players available within it
7. Then took an average for the areas included in the clubs catchments and reduced those players by that amount. So the more clubs within that area that have a catchment the lower the numbers will be.
8. Mapped the result, which in my opinion, could be considered a map of indicative static player pools.

One flaw is that it treats all clubs as the same. So if North Pines are next to Salisbury West, they both have a catchment need of 100. I could have added up the real numbers here but, meh, don’t think it would have made a massive difference overall. I also removed Adelaide Uni completely as they are unique.

There are several pockets of “gold” for footballers in metropolitan Adelaide, the North East Road section – which I think is consumed by Tea Tree Gully, Modbury and Golden Grove. The Paralowie pocket, which is consumed by the 3 Salisburys. And curiously, the inner west. Richmond, Netley, Mile End, Thebarton – maybe the SAAFL are hoarding a player pool and awaiting the right time to unleash a super team or something. It could also be that there are just no clubs located in that area but they travel to Plympton, Flinders Park and Woodville.

Anyway, check em out:

1. Club Locations

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac142/mellingham/1-locations_zpsc766a84c.png

2. Total Footballing Aged Men (darker = more)

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac142/mellingham/2-FootballersTotal_zpsc7e273c1.png

3. Club Catchment – capture 100 players

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac142/mellingham/3-ClubCatchment_zps12168a61.png

4. Final Result (red or pink means the areas player pool has been exhausted and are in the negative, in the blue means positive)

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac142/mellingham/4-Result_zpsba45fddf.png
by morell
Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Six Quarter trial matches? What's the point?

Personally I don't think we're being progressive enough, I'd like to see trial games consist of seven fifths.
by Q.
Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Community Cricket Structure

Don't even bother involving SACA they can't even get a review on their own competition....
by heater31
Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Robb_Stark wrote:this is the best example of why clubs should only have 1 team in each grade

Na is just a good example of the difference between the different divisions.
by Phantom Gossiper
Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 2 2014

Big congratulations goes out to Andy "Dos" Read from Broadview who has overcome a savage battle with chronic anal thrush and has been selected for his league debut with Norff Adelaide on Sunday.
by wristwatcher
Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Demon Juke wrote:Is the Eastern Park 'b' grade field umpire the same one that did there "c" last year?

Unsure, but when we played them a few years back their B Grade umpire had a face plate and was a dead set cheat.
by Footy Follower
Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Flash Poll - Which grade do you think Kilburn should be

Div 3. At worse case at least they know they will be in Div 4 next year. If they drop to C div would that spot remain in 2015? I think not. That's their predicament I believe.
by Yank Man
Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Get them in Div7 then the bye moves to div 3. With wingfield, north pines and smosh C grade at least they will be competitive against some teams
yes because not having a bye in d7 makes more sense :lol:

By and large the League has in place a promotion and relegation system that determines the level where the winners, losers and all the in-betweens play the following season. The League also has the ability to also initiate variations on a case by case basis.

My understanding is that each Club is responsible for its own governance…

Therefore the onus should be on the Club if it feels its circumstances are of an exceptional nature that would (on this topic) impact on themselves…… to initiate consultation with the League on their position to find a resolution.... notwithstanding whether any desire to maintain their current standing or if they request consideration to be repositioned.

To that end...there must be a deadline set in place before the season commences for such submissions. (e.g. 1st March….31st March….pick a date).

Once a decision is made stick to it. What the Club may perceive is in their best interests may not always be the case when it comes to matters of the new catch word “equalisation” within the structure of the League for it to function effectively. For whatever reasons the unfortunate situation that a Club finds itself in to be in this position in the first instance, must fall back on it's own governance. My sense of it is once the season starts …..it’s too late. IMO.
by Cohiba
Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's pretty simple IMO. If they only have one side then they need to be treated the same as Ovingham was and play in the C divisions or a reserves comp in div 6 or 7. If the club recovers next year then they start from div7 again.
If they can still field 2 sides each week then yes they should remain in division 3 and cop it sweet as many other teams have had too in previous years.
by Footy Follower
Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL division 5 2014

I can understand people having some venom to Brahma. They spent some coin and went up Divs. BUT , what is IS. Facts are Bigshow is the new coach and a man I have been close to over the years. A person of high repute and a person who believes can take the club forward. Cut him some slack, it's his problem, not his fault. Just sayin'. ;)
by Yank Man
Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Something innovative...like a Player Retention Scheme.
by Dogwatcher
Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This is what I have learnt:
Posters from clubs that have big junior numbers say the other clubs need to invest in their juniors, 99% of same posters would have had nothing to do with developing their junior program just played there.
Clubs with big junior programs get better junior players, coaches and support because they are, unsurprisingly, more successful.
Clubs with small junior programs don't like their talented kids being poached by clubs with big junior programs
Bombers4eva thinks noone should get paid for playing
Salisbury are the only club in Australia that don't pay players, yet hand out cash at awards.
Footy Chick doesn't like it when he Clubs in Strife topic leads to posters talking about what gets clubs in strife
Brahma will get smashed in 2014
Kilburn will get smashed into oblivion
PAOC will take over Kilburn Oval *
Some people will leave a club because they have too many wankers - all clubs have too many wankers.

*may have not learnt that
by Mr Beefy
Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Tribunal 2014

Just thought I'd let everyone know that the Tribunal is cracking down big time this year - they're even giving people weeks for slamming doors!

Ned Heath from Henley got red carded for an incident in round 1 v Salisbury North; an incident that even all Salisbury North people that I have heard from said was not deserving of a red card.
So he went to the tribunal last night and as he gave an (early) guilty plea and had a good record, he was given 3 weeks down from 6. He and those he was with were surprised at the penalty to say the least. (Keep in mind that Grocke just this week got 7 weeks for his hit on Symes in the SANFL).

On his way out of the room, the Tribunal were of the opinion that Heath shut the door a bit too hard, and gave him an extra week, taking his penalty to 4!

Now tell me if I'm wrong if I think that this is a bit over the top. Turn it up Tribunal.

How stupid can you be? Spitting the dummy and slamming the door on the way out he gets everything he deserves.

Sounds a class act
by Look Good In Leather
Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Got to feel a little for Mitchell Park as well, running into a powerhouse in Rosewater who destroyed Angle Vale last week. Will it be much of the same for both sides this week?

Out of curiosity, do people think these "soft" games for Rosewater to start the season followed by the Easter weekend bye is better or worse for the side?

Personally I think it's got to be better, ease them (so to speak) into what is always a long season.

i am sure they are big enough lads to handle it PG..do you reckon they worried about thumpings in 2012?

34 goals - 4 v smithfield
24 - 2 v modbury
29 - 5 v flinders park
36 - 2 v flinders uni
23 - 4 v smithfield
33 - 0 v flinders uni

the wheel keeps turning..
by zedman
Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

morell wrote:Would be interesting see their total numbers and any chnages over time though, both before and after the points system.

If anyone from the SAAFL has that data I will crunch it! :)

Assuming you are talking about player numbers, Quantity <> Quality
by Mr Beefy
Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 2 - North v South @ Prospect Oval (Sat 12/4)

North side

F Campbell Mitchell Barns

HF Boles Obst Amato

C O'Brien O'Keeffe Rsywyk

HB Anderson Miles Gregg

B Hill Dalwood Dalwood

R Schahinger Shannon Thring

Int Stokes, Combe, Read, Kangur Theile

Surely Read has to start after a blistering 21 possession debut. He was brilliant and reportedly fought anal cramps during the last quarter. :)
by wristwatcher
Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Interchange Rules

FE, can you please explain the event that occurred on the weekend that triggered your post.
It would be good to see an example of where it didn't work so we can all learn and ensure these sort of things don't happen in the future.

Thanks in advance.
by Trader
Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

:roll: Within the SAAFL they are worth 0 points
by Mr Beefy
Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wow, give you guys something to talk about and off you go. :D :D
All I was saying was the APPS changed last year to stop country clubs taking from the high div reserves players for zero pts. I live in the GSFL area and the 4 lads from Div 2 res now at Rossies would be a minimum of 8 pts in total if they came to Yank, who only have 11 to play with so the club would have to say sorry, can't accommodate you. So that part has worked fine, but my concern is that now the strong clubs in Saafl can decimate the weak clubs by pulling high level players from reserves. We can't underestimate the pulling power also of Shuffles who is highly rated and all those lads would have been close to him over the years. 'Super Recruiting' now the heat is on them to perform on a consistent basis. ;)
Surely the stronger clubs are in the higher divisions? Am I right in saying what you have just implied is that Rosewater is a stronger club than Walkerville?
by S Demon
Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Junior Football

It's dog eat dog in the NEMJFA with some clubs, my lads team played their local rival last year in under 8's and if there were scores kept we were up by 3 points at 3 qtr time. My son and another kid got tagged for the last quarter so the coach moved my lad to centre half forward 2 minutes in to see if the tag was for real........................it was.
HAHA! WTF?!? A tag in u/8's?? That's serious business!

When I was playing under 8's/9's there was obviously some serious competitiveness, and learning important aspects like manning up - i remember nothing better than running out and spending 3 min before the bounce bumping your opponent to try and prove who was the toughest :lol: - but never ever ever seen a tag!
by Phantom Gossiper
Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Blah blah, you and few others make too many assumptions about what goes on at Rosies without knowing all the facts He is right in general though. Paying mercenaries results in short term success and long term pain.

If we had a $25k budget I would rather pay for 5 elite juniors, their mates and parents rather than 5 "gun" 25 yr olds.

Build the foundation from the bottom up and invest in juniors, in other words.

I don't think it's money that's holding clubs back from a solid junior program.
by Q.
Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Your guide to ANZAC day matches

Was once a special day to play. Now seems more unique to play on the Saturday. Should only be local rivalries or GF replays. Some of the games being played are just ridiculous.
by beef
Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Was once a special day to play. Now seems more unique to play on the Saturday. Should only be local rivalries or GF replays. Some of the games being played are just ridiculous.

I agree. Should be no more than 1 per division and the preference should be given to the Grand Final replay.

I agree also, too many clubs just see it as a chance to make money which is a disgrace.
by The Informer
Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cos last year's Div 4 grand finalist is in Div 5...
by Mr Beefy
Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I always thought it was an unwritten law out of sheer respect there should be no game starting before midday lack of respect if you ask me..
by carey
Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

carey wrote:I always thought it was an unwritten law out of sheer respect there should be no game starting before midday lack of respect if you ask me..

This. Shocked there are so many games starting before 12.
by Pag
Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Why couldnt clubs just organise the C grade games to be played after the A grade as twilight matches? I'm sure the lights would be good enough for a last quarter.
by lutz
Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 7 2014

Phantom Gossiper wrote:Hi.. umm we lost our home.. can we come live in here? :lol:

:roll:
by heater31
Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What's unprecedented is the whinging. Two years ago you just copped it on the chin and rebuilt the next year.
by Q.
Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 5 - Adelaide v Port Magpies @ Clare Oval (Sun 4/5)

LOWDOWN 1

Port B grade to win the inaugural Lowdown

Should be a brilliant game to watch
I've seen Ports play a few times, they are an exciting team to watch in the SANFL
Being told the Crows play some nice attractive footy at times

Some of the other teams in the comp play zoney floody footy , as a spectacle its a bit of a turn off at times
This game should be good to watch

My score line prediction Port B grade by 55 points
PR 20-16
AR 12.9
by mal
Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |