Search found 216 matches

Return

Re: SAAFL division 5 2014

A coach from a higher div has been trying to poach a couple of Cbcocfc young lads who will be doing a pre season with a sanfl club. He's <span id="adtext_8" class="adtext">claiming</span> if they r playing in a higher div it will increase their chances of getting a game in the resissies or league... This isn't the case. If the player was trying to get noticed so he could get an invite to training I would agree but the kids have already been noticed & will get a chance in the sanfl system. Your either have it or you don't.

I just think it would b a shame if one of these players left our footy club to go play somewhere under the false pretence it will improve their chances of getting a go @ sanfl level, after CBC has put a lot of time and effort in2 these kids. I have confirmation from the said sanfl clubs coach that it will not be a deal breaker & performance on the training track & games is what will decide if they get a game or not.

I have always heard that the League clubs encourage the players not getting a game to play at a D1 or D2 club. Makes sense really. If I'm a reserves coach, I'd want the guys not getting a game to be playing at a similar standard competition in the mean time.
SANFL clubs should openly promote loyalty in these kids to play at their home clubs, not look after their "mates" at higher division clubs. The simple fact is, if the kid is good enough, he'll make it. Sending him to play at a Div 1 or Div 2 club so they can "keep an eye on them" or it will "give them a better chance to make it" is a crock of sh*t. All it does is rob the original club of one of their best juniors and makes the strong clubs stronger. How are div 3,4,5,6 clubs ever going to strive for the pinnacle of their competition when all their most promising juniors are openly encouraged to leave and go play higher?

It stinks and it happens all the time. 3 of our kids were told to play at a Div 1 club by an SANFL club last year. 2 did, 1 didn't. None of the 3 made the cut in the end, but we lost 2 quality juniors in the process . You can't replace 10 years of development overnight. SANFL clubs are happy to take from our clubs, but they aren't too quick to give back to us - unless we are in Div 1 or 2 of course...
by S Demon
Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL division 6 2014

Why wouldn't Harro be going on again?
Not sure mate! I haven't spoken to him yet, just rumours at this stage. Apparently off to Christies Beach where he has connections though his better half.

That would be 2 clubs looking for a coach in November. St Kilda and MP. :) Surely morell that would put the club in a precarious position where most clubs are ready for pre-season? Very sad if true. A large percentage of MP's players are there because of him, if they go with him that would be back to the drawing board. :( Yeah it's not good news for us. Will find out who the true club people are over the next couple of months I suspect.

We haven't given up on keeping Harry although it is looking dim.

Hopefully the leadership and commitee have acted quickly to ensure as many players as possible have been communicated with and solidity our group.

Might even need your help big fella.
Number 9 on the list of morell's football myths - coaches are necessary... :D
by S Demon
Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 4 2014

I am hearing there have been some handy signings out at Eastern Park. Dene Steele signed from Brahma Lodge last night (must like playing against SW) and a heap of young lads re-committed, should be very competitive next season i would of thought.
Hey cossi, isn't it about time you updated your signature to this year's grand final score? ;)
by S Demon
Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 7 2014

Q. wrote:Along with the re-appointment of Senior Coach Tom Burgess, HDFC is pleased to announced Steve Gilling as Reserves Coach for 2014.

The plot thickens
by S Demon
Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 3 2014

put a 1 in front of that 5 and that'd be more accurate... *edit - close, thanks Groove :)

I think folding is going a bit far Joker. They've lost pretty much a whole A grade side and their coaches. From what I've been told the funds to recruit are still available to a point but it pushes the point home that none of us local clubs can compete with the $$ that country clubs are throwing around

At the end of the day, BL are just as much eligible to take advantage of the no promotion rule as any Div 8 or any div 7 team - and even though we know what they've lost, I'm not sure I agree with a GF runner up side being demoted to div 5 for their efforts.
then why are they going down???
can't they battle it out for a year instead of opting out?

It's not a given yet.

But read my post above and it will put it in perspective.
Surely you cop the heat now and then try and rebuild in div 4 next year, rather than potentially rebuilding in div 5 next year...
by S Demon
Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

nicole wrote:Can anyone from Bramah Lodge comment on the rumors , that you have lost so many players, that you have asked the league if you can stay down in A4 this year.

In other breaking news, Kurt Cobain was found dead at his Seattle at home in what appeared to be a suicide...
by S Demon
Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Young coaches.

This old chestnut again... Sigh...
Mitch is an outstanding leader of men and has a fantastic football brain. He has been in the SANFL system for years and has been able to build on solid foundations of professionalism and skills laid by previous coaches. I have no doubt that he will be a strong coach this year, particularly with the trust that he has in the team around him.

Let's just nip this in the bud now... S Demon, the 'big purse' insinuation is an insult to Mitch and my club. To date, we will be playing with a total of 5 out of a possible 15 points. We have worked hard on recruiting the right player/person for our team and it has meant that the overwhelming number of players are there for the right reasons, and that does not equate to money. TTG has never, and will never, be a club that can afford to attract players based purely on money, and nor would we want to. Next time, before throwing out loose allegations and innuendo, feel free to contact me or someone else at the club who actually knows what goes on.
Sorry if I insulted you or your club after suggesting some quality recruits are most likely being paid good money at TTG. I forgot that in the age of country clubs offering huge cash to anyone with a pulse, that players of such high quality consider other things such as a clubs junior set up. I'm sure it makes mention of it in their contracts as a deal breaker

If I contacted you, you would openly tell me about your recruits and how you got them to TTG?
You wouldn't, because it's none of my business. So don't kid yourself

Perhaps you could cut and paste your post into an email and send it to all your players so there's no more loose allegations or innuendo flung around..
by S Demon
Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Robb_Stark wrote:
BZB27 wrote:Pooraka are taking on Adelaide lutheran next sunday getting pretty keen for the season to start

i heard this is a 10am start time.....dont know if Jared Gatt and is band misfits will home from clubbing at that time :)

Maybe he'll still be at home talking about himself in the 3rd person...
by S Demon
Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sorry for intruding but.... I'm sure Brahma Lodge put a lot of faith in the people they chose to take the club forward. All of a sudden they all leave and they are left with nothing. People, what happened to getting behind the Aussie battler and not kicking them when they're down. We can talk all day about the mistakes, but this club is trying to save themselves from extinction. Where they play is irreverent , as long as they play. Compassion is not something experienced in footy all that often, but atm, we all need to work for a strong league and all clubs are part of that. I'll go now, with friends or not.
By "faith" you mean "money", right?

No compassion from me. We lost a Grand Final to them by 100pts two years ago. No one from Brahma Lodge was crying to the league that day. I'm sorry, but if you live by the sword, you die by the sword.

They should have been made to stay in Div 4 as per the rules and taken on the chin whatever came their way
by S Demon
Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Since everybody knows best, how would anybody have run the club differently from 2009.

2009 - Relegated to div 7 with 2 junior teams. No junior committee.

2014 - Most senior players moved on, In division 5, 5 Junior team and a junior committee. All because the a grade has been successful

I would say the club has grown and are on track to have an under 18's side within 5 years.

What should the club have done differently?????

At the very least they should have taken their option to stay in Div 4 as the rules allow and copped whatever happened next.

Now they get to go down 2 divisions and potentially do it all over again...
by S Demon
Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Clubs in strife

http://www.gullies.com.au/seniors

sensational prices....

They are the same as Modbury, think the fees are $230 which includes the $30 sporting club membership.

To play cricket at TTGDCC fees are over $300
Ours are similar. $250 for A's and B's. $140 for U18's. Also includes a sporting club membership

We introduced a "Pay as you play" system for the C & D Grade this year. $40 up front for every player, then $10 per game. Don't play, don't pay. This ensures we get the same amount of money coming in weekly, rather than 60 odd blokes paying part subs for the whole year and then disappearing. Easier to budget for too.

Works out cheaper overall if you play every game, but we will actually get more $$ by the end of the year from the lower grades than in previous years..
by S Demon
Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 3 2014

Just how close to this are you PG?
We have our Ladies Day planned for that day. KFC and SAAFL won't reply to our queries. Should we be worried?
Ladies Day = important financial and associated benefits for our club.

I'm sure you're social event is number one priority for the Kilburn committee and big wigs at SAAFL house.
Well it should be. Well run clubs organise events well in advance and in div 3, or any division for that matter, no club should have to worry about whether there will actually be a game on or not. It's not normally top of the checklist of things they need to consider on the day
by S Demon
Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 7 2014

Q. wrote:Methinks Wingfield should have been in D7 Reserves and and FP in D7.

Blackwood should have been in Div 7. Waaaaaaaaaay too good for Div 8
by S Demon
Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wow, give you guys something to talk about and off you go. :D :D
All I was saying was the APPS changed last year to stop country clubs taking from the high div reserves players for zero pts. I live in the GSFL area and the 4 lads from Div 2 res now at Rossies would be a minimum of 8 pts in total if they came to Yank, who only have 11 to play with so the club would have to say sorry, can't accommodate you. So that part has worked fine, but my concern is that now the strong clubs in Saafl can decimate the weak clubs by pulling high level players from reserves. We can't underestimate the pulling power also of Shuffles who is highly rated and all those lads would have been close to him over the years. 'Super Recruiting' now the heat is on them to perform on a consistent basis. ;)
Surely the stronger clubs are in the higher divisions? Am I right in saying what you have just implied is that Rosewater is a stronger club than Walkerville?
by S Demon
Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Your guide to ANZAC day matches

which comes back to some peoples point of why play at all on Anzac day if it isn't against a rival.

We were due to play the Lodge but now we're playing Glenunga, which sort of defeats the purpose but I guess it was out of our control. *no disrespect intended to the good people at Glenunga but lets face it, we don't really have any rivalry.

Anzac Day should be about great battles, which is why I"ve always been of the opinion that no one bar Port v Norwood should play in the SANFL.

One grand final does not a rivalry make....
What defines a rivalry then? Our relegation/promotion system makes rivalry very hard to come by doesn't it?
We had some great battles with Glenunga in the early/mid 90's and early 2000's. Let's not forget the epic battle at Hope Valley Oval a coupe of years ago where a few of the boys got closely acquainted with each other at half time in a very tight and hardly fought contest.

We were very keen to play Brahma this year had they stayed in Div 4 as we played them last year on the Thursday at their ground.
I think it's important to show our young players what ANZAC Day means to our country and to so many people. The fact that a lot of teams are playing on Friday is a good thing. Something we are able to do because of what so many others sacrificed in the past. We all have the chance to honour the men and women who have served our country by playing a sport we all love on a day we all cherish

I don't think it should be a day reserved only for special "rivalries" to play football. Everyone should be allowed to play, as long as the reason why they are playing is not lost on them
by S Demon
Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

don't worry, the old woolen HV jumpers still get a good working over on training nights!
is that bloke who carved up in your c's with the long hair still playing? If so he could probably wear the one he wore back in 94... :)
Andre Kulpe? He tied an association medal with his brother in the early 80's.
Correct. Kevin Kulpe was a ruckman. Andre roved to him. Great combo. Kevin lives in Germany now

Andre played in our 2011 C grade Premiership as well

Andre will play his 410th game tomorrow in our D grade. I think he's about 45, but no one really knows. I watched the 94 GF replay last night and I'm not kidding, he looked exactly the same as he does now. The only difference is his hair is boofier! as a kid I grew up watching him play and have since played A/B/C grade football with him
by S Demon
Fri May 09, 2014 11:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 8 2014

Its a bit of a tricky situation and not ideal at the moment, but here's the facts:

The D grade coach approached the committee towards the end of last year and asked if he could put together a D grade side with a bunch of mates who mostly either haven't played for a few years or were currently playing lower level football at other clubs. The committee agreed that we should go down this path to increase the number of patrons at the club, as well as put us on par with the surrounding strong N/E clubs who all have 4-5 teams (TTG, Modbury, GG). They also had a sponsor already on board to buy them new jumpers

A side effect to having a new D grade is that our traditionally competitive C grade has been elevated into a very strong Div 8 competition. To further add to it, at least 12 regular C graders from the last 2-3 years decided late into the summer to hang the boots up for a number of different reasons. Something that Im sure other clubs can attest to this year. Add to that a large number of injuries in all grades, and the depth of our club has been tested. In hindsight, we could have put the D grade side (who have all come together to play) as the C grade side at the start of the year and the results for the C grade might be slightly different. Although I am fairly certain however that with the players GG had running around in their C grade on saturday, they probably would have beaten the D grade side we fielded and most likely even our B grade.

We thought with a number of kids coming up this year, the C grade side would still fill a competitive side. Another 2 x key C grade players took off overseas recently (returning soon) so the core group from 2013 is basically non existent and something we didn't see coming. The side will improve after the bye with any luck and hopefully so will their results.

I definitely wouldn't say the D grade are sandbagging. If we pick the best 25 and then the rest play D grade, we run the risk of most or all of those blokes that came to play together being split up and then not playing at all and losing our D grade side completely, stuffing around Div 8R and adding another bye to the fixture as well copping any financial penalties from the league.

We took a punt on getting up a D grade side which has brought at least 40 new blokes into the club (and let me tell you, those boys don't mind spending a bit over the bar and easily outnumbered GG players in their clubrooms after both games were finished) so from that perspective it has been a success. Not many of them train consistently either, whereas the C grade boys do train and warrant their spot. Just because there is some talent in the D grade, doesn't mean they should be playing C grade. A bloke who trains twice a week should be picked before someone who doesn't train at all, regardless of ability. #17 for example in your C grade would walk into most A grade midfield's at any club in any division. But he works and can't train. He's getting a gig before other blokes who might be training two nights a week and still playing D grade. I don't necessarily agree with that, but I'm not involved at GG and it has nothing to do with me

This whole D grade venture has been a learning experience for us and we having ongoing discussions about what to do in 2015 if we continue to have a D grade side. We will look at all options, including having this group all play together in the C grade. But then I'm sure Hefty you will still complain about them sandbagging in that grade too, because there is probably at least 5 x players who could play A grade if they were committed and actually wanted to play a higher level. I don't think we're the only club in SA who has some talent playing lower grade football
by S Demon
Mon May 26, 2014 12:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

S-Demon was meaning Div-8 agrade champ :)

Sorry? pretty sure he was talking about 6-8 guys in his D grade that could play A grade still. I only really know that Kuhar could easily play A grade at Hope Valley, I dont know enough about the others to make a judgement to be honeset when they beat us it was guys that would probably only push up to the C grade that hurt us - I dont know anyone who would refer to their C grade side as a Div 8 - A grade? But if S-Demon was refering to his C grade I stand corrected.
Nah I was taking about our A grade. A club only has one A grade.

Some of these guys have played Div 1. Some have played A grade for us in the past. Nearly ALL of them didn't play footy for us at all last year, including the ex A graders.

Let's also not forget the 4 x blokes who are 41, 42, 43 and 45. Pugliese x 2, Hawkins and Kulpe. Another bloke who's 39 hasn't played footy since he was in primary school. I hate the term sandbagging and that's certainly not what's happening. If they fall over in the finals like you suggested they will do the same thing they do every other week. Buy a shitload of beer over the bar and have a good time together...
by S Demon
Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Golden Grove clearly the best side in Div 4. Salisbury West next, then Eastern Park. Whoever the other two sides who make the finals are - they could cause an upset if things went their way and one of the "Big 3" had a bad day. But its the GG v the rest IMO. SW v EP to see who plays them in the big dance. Pooraka, HV, Heccies, Glenunga, Kenilworth to fight out who will make up the five. Not really saying anything you all don't already know.
I'm sure GG will be eager to make up for last year's finals disappointment. Anything less than a flag would be another big finals choke for the Burras..
by S Demon
Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Must say a congratulations to the following players who have all reached milestones this year for the HVFC:
250 games - Jarrad Dunn
250 games - Jordan Pepper
250 games - Dylan Hoffmann
200 games - Lee Duggan
150 games - Luke Anderson
100 games - Brett Slater
100 games - Leigh Crowhurst

Loyal to the cause
by S Demon
Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

woodublieve12 wrote:
Hefty wrote:What's the deck at Hope Valley looking like?? Last I heard not too many patches of green......

so just the norm there then ;)

Yeah, but it still faces the right way... ;)
by S Demon
Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Johno6 wrote:lets just say there is 2 or 3 torrential down pours and a couple of storms.

how do you think it will look Saturday?

Um, wet, muddy, slippery and waterlogged and did I say muddy?
by S Demon
Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Aren't Central United staying in Div 6, giffo?
by S Demon
Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Watching Prelims

Dont do it.

Let the coaching staff go and have a look and maybe one or two in the leadership group

Go watch another game or have some time off

I've told this story before on here about the year CLG came to the Qualifying Final between us and WOS back in 08. All standing together, drinking and giving both sides a mouthful. Gave us heaps as we were getting done, then all of a sudden we came flying back and won by less than a kick. Our boys all remembered the next week and went out to CLG and beat them in the 2nd Semi. Then WOS beat them the week after in the prelim...

I always said that if we were ever in the same position as CLG were, be it a prelim or a qualifying final, that our players would be encouraged to stay away and there isn't much to be gained from it IMO. Each to their own though
by S Demon
Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 6 - 2015

I wonder how many of those players would still come back if the league forced them to play in Div 3 in 2015...
by S Demon
Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 7 - 2015

I thought they announced his junior club as Plympton on the telecast?
by S Demon
Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 4 - 2015

unknown source wrote:heard from a unknown source that kilburn asking saafl for more points as they want to overkill there spending to win like westies. chics for life

Did you ever hear the story about the pot and the kettle?
by S Demon
Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

HV will be staying in Div 4 in 2015

We would like to play in Division 3 on our merits and gain promotion by making the Grand Final in Division 4 (and winning it would be nice too)

I'm my opinion, clubs picking and choosing where they want to play (mainly due to poor management) effects the integrity of the whole SAAFL competition and it needs to stop
by S Demon
Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I was running back through the history of football at Houghton.

In 1945, Houghton, Hope Valley, TTG & Paracombe had a combined team that played in the Torrens Valley FL. They defeated Gumeracha in the Grand Final.

that reminds me of the power rangers you all combine to take down the big bad Gumeracha

Hope Valley is the pink power ranger, right?
Yep, supporting breast cancer research once again
by S Demon
Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Q. wrote:He'll get found out in D6. No C-grade teams to kick easy goals against.

Gilling going to Div 6?
by S Demon
Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Q. wrote:I think ROCS will be strong enough.

I think PAOC and GG are also likely to belt everyone in D8 again too.

Both would make finals in Div 7
by S Demon
Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So, correct me if im wrong, not 1 club in div 4 would back themselves to go up to Div 3 and be competitive enough to avoid relegation? Since I would think that would be the aim should you go up at late notice, solidifying your spot in the division would be a good year IMO.. No club here thinks they could do that?
Perhaps the clubs think they have built a good enough squad to win a premiership in Div 4 (and only one of them will be right) and with only a couple of months until Round 1 don't want to have a year of just "hanging on" in Div 3 and would rather have a red hot crack at winning a flag. Isn't that what we're all in it for? These are my individual thoughts only

From a HV point of view, we were 10-15 goals worse than Golden Grove who are currently the 9th best team in Div 3. So we would come in as the 10th best side and be 10-15 goals behind them! It's a simplistic view, but thats the reality of it
by S Demon
Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

none of the new clubs youve mentioned with new dgrade sides are yet to face an agrade unit in div 7, theyre are all division 8 teams having glorious wonderful times on equal playing fields, their men havent been infected with the AGrade vs CGrade virus

It felt like A grade v C Gradewhen we played GG ands PAOC :(

We've had quite a few players over the years from our B/C grade go to Houghton and play A grade in Div 7. Just because they are playing A grade, doesn't necessarily make them A graders. That is where your argument is flawed IMO
by S Demon
Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Footy Chick wrote:If it was good enough for the AFL and SANFL for years, then it's good enough for us.

Stop yer whinging.

Difference is, the AFL and SANFL don't have 60+ clubs to choose from in their competitions.

Apples and oranges
by S Demon
Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Q. wrote:What's not equitable about a 9 team comp with a bye?

Been working just fine for SANFL.

Who had only 9 to choose from and played 23 rounds...
by S Demon
Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Robb_Stark wrote:Kilburn
North Haven
Pooraka
Kenilworth
Westminster OS

Hope Valley
Hectorville
Glenunga
Salisbury
Eastern Park

how many did hope valley have out against elizabeth ? was going to put you higher up the ladder until i heard you lost

You do know it was a trial game, yeah?
by S Demon
Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Q. wrote:It was remarked to me from someone involved in D8, that it might be easier for their club if they put their C/D grade in D7, considering the quality of the teams in D8 :D

Who would talk such rubbish? 8)
by S Demon
Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: u18's

Mitcham decided to go it alone. Unley have made the decision to use the DGrade as the youth development pathway given the pure c&d grade comp in div 8.
They will play a better standard of football in Div 8. Some really good C grade teams this year. Not sure they will learn much running off a bloke who is overweight and doesn't train
by S Demon
Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 3 - 2015

Footy Chick wrote:So kilburn can pump west croydon by 15 goals one week and get flogged by about the same a week later...

This is why you cant take much from trials...lol

Yeah but don't forget WC are in Div 6, GG are in Div 3. Big difference.
by S Demon
Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The blokes 3 blokes from SWest to Havens that got 750 sign on each and 400 a game to play football. Not to mention a midfielder at Rosie's that gets around the Port more than a STD!

Hahahahaahah what a moron ! 750 sign on and 400 a game hahahahahha what div 4 club has that money ? You doopid

Not exactly extreme money. Just under $10,000 for the entire year - if they are quality A-Graders that's probably cheap
More like just under $24k
by S Demon
Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thank you to the Glenunga boys for popping into the bar for a drink after the game on Saturday. Nearly all of them made the effort. Apologies there wasn't more of our guys. We had a two A graders with a 21st and a 30th so a lot of the lads took off straight after the game.

A post match tradition that should be strongly encouraged by all clubs IMO
by S Demon
Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Anzac Day

by S Demon
Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 3 - 2015

only the last couple of years!

That's why I knew what happened, we were told about it Sunday, Why won't it be the last we hear of it? The rule is there in black and white!

Nothing here says they broke a rule:

16 SANFL PLAYERS PLAYING IN SAAFL
16.1 A player who is registered in accordance with Clause 10.2 and whom plays for a team competing in the SANFL competition shall not require a transfer to resume playing for the Member Club to whom they are registered provided they have previously been transferred to their Member Club from their immediate last Australian Football club.
16.2 A player who is listed on an SANFL club’s 1 - 35 player list in the current playing season shall submit written permission from his SANFL club to The League prior to him playing for his Member Club.
16.3 When a registered player of a Member Club plays a league or reserves match for an SANFL club, which then has a bye in the following SANFL minor round, such player shall not play (with the exception of The League Under 18’s Divisions) in that round for such player’s Member Club or for any other Member Club unless the player has played a combined minimum total of twenty five (25) or more Senior and Junior matches with such Member Club.
(a) The player shall submit written permission from his SANFL Club to The League prior to him playing for his Member Club.
(b) Junior football is deemed as matches played from the year in which the player turns 13 years of age.
16.4 On a SANFL bye round, players playing in SANFL Under 18’s may play with their Member Club in any Division after advising in writing and receiving approval from The League prior to him playing for his Member Club.
16.5 An SANFL state match where the SANFL clubs do not play is considered as a SANFL club bye.

16.1 - no transfer needed, resuming playing for existing member club
16.2 - not on 1-35 player list as they are top-up players
16.3 - there was no bye, so this is not relevant
16.4 - not U/18 or bye, so not relevant
16.5 - no state match

Is there another rule?

FE posted this on the last page

Rule 23.30 of the SAAFL Rules

No Member Club player shall play for any other club prior to or after a match of The League in any one
round with the exception of The League’s Under 18 Division matches and any school matches.

SANFL were playing Round 3, SAAFL were playing Round 2.

The two players should be ineligible this coming week, not the week just been
I reckon "any one round" by definition means "the same weekend of football". Not the particular number that round is in each league
by S Demon
Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 8 - 2015

it would be interesting to get (although not possible) the official "total" number on how many players do not get a game each week due to having too many players to choose from in divisions such as Div 8 through to C1, C2 etc etc

consider henley and shocs, im sure each week up to 10 players at both clubs at present are being told, "nope sorry we cant fit u in this week" - so at 2 clubs alone a total of 20 footballers on a saturday afternoon are just sitting around wanting a game spectating, staying loyal hoping to get picked next week

what would the total amount be on a saturday afternoon across these divisions? with approximately 50 teams involved (D8, D8R, C1, C2, C3, C4)

would 50-100 players simply not playing each week due to not being picked??

We only had 18 to choose from Thursday night for the D grade, then 2 pulled out on friday. Called in some favours to get a side together to give SMOSH a game.

So technically we had about 16-18 players miss out on a game, but mostly through injury and work. When absolutely everyone is available in all grades I would say we would have 15 or so players miss out. The realistic chances of having no injuries or unavailability's higher up is about 0.0035%
by S Demon
Tue May 05, 2015 2:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Player records

Andre Kulpe has played 2 games so far this year taking him to 421. Could have been 422 on Saturday but we made him umpire.. :lol:
by S Demon
Thu May 07, 2015 10:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I've always thought it's who gets there first.
I used to hate warming up at the town end of the Moorook oval, but if the opposition got to the lagoon end first, so be it.
Same at Elizabeth, I'd rather warm up at the clubrooms end, not the Midway Road end, but so be it.
You went for a lap, the area was vacant. They're meant to be mind readers and know you're coming back?
Seriously, it's D7R and you're worried about which end you warm up at?
I've always thought the team warmed up the same end according to their interchange bench location. There's not actually any "rules" though is there?
by S Demon
Mon May 11, 2015 10:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 8 - 2015

Well if their beer prices are relative to their bourbon prices I'd be thinking around the $5 mark which seems fair enough to buy at the bar, I do recall that they were extremely high the last time I visited there but I'm pretty sure Ash fixed that during his tenure.
I'll always buy at another clubs beer outlet unless their prices are ridiculous.

We are currently in our 2nd month of having the bar run by volunteers after having a paid barman for the last 9 years. The current prices are actually under review and are determined by the Sporting Club, not the football club.

We do currently have $5 beer cans available all the time (VB, Superdry, Draught)
by S Demon
Mon May 25, 2015 3:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: We're half way there

Constructive Post incoming.....

Personally, I thought going from 5 to 4 would bring a bigger challenge than we've faced so far. After that GF loss last year, I thought we had the strongest team in Divvy 5, and was pretty surprised we lost how we did. (Missing a key back pocket in the A's hurt I think).

So, then I rock up to preseason and see this bunch of players that have come to play with Andy Lipson (all guys he coached at Port Maggies) and mates of Matt Reed, etc. And knew straight away I was a full-time B grader at best.

These young guys trained harder than I've ever seen someone train before, and the way they go about their footy is as close to professional as I'll ever come.

People rag on Tom Lipson, but for the obvious wanker he is, he has a good footy mind, and adds heaps to the team from the sidelines. I would have loved to have played some footy with him, but our injuries happened at different times, meaning I never got to.

You would think bringing guys into the As would push a few guys down, but with injuries, etc, the Bs are mostly the same blokes that played Bs for the last 3 or 4 years. Lots of natural ability, and we go out there aiming to enjoy ourselves. As a backman, the last 4 games have been shithouse, because we've kicked something like 110+ goals in the 4 games, meaning not much ball down my end.
Well said mate.

Massive test for us this Saturday against HV, it'll really show us where we're at.
I think being 8-0 and top of the ladder might really show you where you are at, rather than a side that's 2-5 and sitting 7th...
by S Demon
Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |