Search found 18 matches

Return

Re: SAAFL Division 3 2014

Some points:
- Yes we got our ladies day and it was a great day - relief!
- Kilburn's decision to stay in Div 3 was theirs to make and the club now has to live with that decision, tho if there are any plans to rebuild, their decision is understandable as you'd want to rebuild from as higher a Div as possible.
- The lads who came and played for them are to be commended regardless of what you might think about their club and the way they've gone about things.. It would be easy to let frustration get the better of you but they just did their best and played out the game despite knowing from the opening bell that it was all over. There were no nasty incidents, no spite. The guys from Kilburn played in the best spirit of the game.
- I don't have the records to hand (The SAAFL page is not available) but I am told, second highest score in history of the SAAFL, certainly broke all club records of course.
- Am advised by someone who knows these things better than most that even if Kilburn pull or get pulled the scores still stand for the games they've played. I've looked at the local regs and can't see anything specific on the matter tho.
- What was most satisfying was that despite the huge margin early the Unley guys kept playing to their plan, there was no cute stuff or cockiness. It was a very mature display.
- Irony: Kilburn knocked Unley out of the finals race in 2011 with a 2 point win in round 18 and then went on to win the premiership.

In short tho... the weather was beautiful and so were the ladies and the party went on till late.
by BigB
Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Whilst I hate to see any club go under, the idea of rewarding poor management of any club with a red letter day at the Adelaide Oval is counterintuitive. If we want to promote amateur league "grass roots footy" as a legitimate part of the Aussie Rules landscape then the showcasing should be of the teams/clubs who are doing it right, ie building a club, a culture and a philosophy, not just squandering cash chasing premiership cups.
I agree with the notion of under 18's as curtain raisers or similar, but really, The Aldinga Sharks vs Kilburn? It just makes a mockery. It's a bit like the freakshow concept, it might make people want to have a look but does it do anything to reduce stigma? - nope. It's just sending a message that the SAAFL is just for the old, or incompetent. Not a message I would've thought we'd want to send.
by BigB
Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Oval Impact on grassroots crowds?

I'd never give up my grass roots footy for AFL either.

Just an early observation tho - The Kilburn game we didn't expect a crowd. but our games against Pembroke and Plympton would normally have had good supporter numbers come with the opposition yet the crowd was quite sparse. Interesting. If it is a trend that continues, clubs may have to think about how to counter the Adelaide Oval factor on Saturday arvos.
by BigB
Mon May 12, 2014 12:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Carey.. what are you on about? That would be the dumbest and less accurate statement I have read on this blog all year. With our own juniors oversubscribed because people want their kids to play at Unley, tell me how we can go on the "raping" spree as you suggest. And I can guarantee all we talk about is how to make our club a better one - unlike some.

As for the game - we packaged up a premiership, tied a ribbon on it and handed it to The Hawks. If they had a sniff going into the last quarter they were always going to be hard to beat and after a third quarter of dominance by The Jets not enough to get them in front the Hawks found enough to hang on. A 2 goal 6 point last quarter summed up the match.

We're all pretty dissapointed but the party last night was in full swing - half of these lads have been playing together since they were juniors or gone to school with each other. They may not have the silverware this year but they are winners on so many other more important levels.

Our dissapointment is nothing compared to the troubles some people are facing in less fortunate parts of the world.
by BigB
Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

To clear things up - assuming people will believe me who have a vested interest not to...
I was in between the two stands where the video's were set up recording and had a perfect view of what was happening - right in front of me.
The first can definitely went from the Hawks camp into the Jets camp. This followed increasingly hostile and unsportsmanlike taunting of the Unley crowd as Modbury realised they were being gifted a flag and sought to rub it in. Rather than ignore this idiot minority (most there were well behaved) some of the Jets cohort taunted in response and the can incident then occurred. The said can was thrown back to it's owner - again, another lapse in judgement but not without provocation.
Sensing something bad was about to happen, I went into the main group of Hawks supporters who were attempting to incite the Unley people and merely began shaking hands and congratulating them on their win. I was clearly a Jets supporter and the effect was to take the heat out of the situation. I also suggested they return to celebrating their imminent win rather than focus on our crowd.. things then seemed to settle. The whole incident whilst ugly was over quickly, tho some verbal taunting from both sides continued for a little while until the final siren sounded.
Grainger set the best example by acknowledging our team in a positive way and was dignified in victory. Some Hawks supporters were clearly keen to put the boot in despite the game being over - says more about them as people than the club I'd suggest. I would point out the Jets side remained on the ground throughout the pressos in respect of the winning side, despite being shattered at the result knowing they missed a huge opportunity for a flag.
As for suggestions that we throw projectiles at people? - sledging maybe, but anyone who would risk our club reputation by acting violently would be asked to leave and not come back. I have been at every home game in the last 6 years and have never seen or heard of it happening, so that comment is somewhat slanderous I'd suggest. We have too much to lose and have our sights set on bigger goals and will not tolerate that kind of behaviour at the club. Many of us have worked too hard to get the club into Div 2 to see our efforts ruined by idiotic behaviour.
In short, emotions got the better of some from both sides, it's over now - everyone needs to move on.
by BigB
Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Cup - A la FA Cup - Possible or not?

Now now Jetters, even being a fellow club man I must disagree with your quick rejection of the notion, it's one I've mulled over a few times myself and I think it's worth thinking about even tho the logistics of a 'whole of league' knockout are probably too difficult. Could work as a "pre-season" format with Div 1&2 / 3&4 / 5&6 / 7&8 grouped. No entry fee, play for the fun (something we can accomodate at amateur level better than most) and honour on an opt in basis with Thebby hosting the finals, and teams making the finals splitting the profits of the day maybe?
Agree would need lots of "workshopping" to get it right. I do like the other concept mentioned here, ie a champons league comp - Div 1&2 premiers plus premiers from other CFL affiliated clubs in a knockout comp.
The reality is it will probably never get off the ground but not a bad intellectual exercise to think how it might work.
by BigB
Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 3 - 2015

What ever happened to the principle of seeking a flag and getting promotion? If you're in the comp you're in it to win it, surely? If you make the GF you should go up. If you can't go up because you don't have numbers or the cash (the latter would suggest you might be trading insolvent), should you have any choice other than to fold for the season, get yer act together, and start off again at Div 7. That's incentive enough to either make it work or make a tough call.
IMO (and I am not arrogant enough to think this is the only way to look at it) spend the money on developing a culture and a feeder source. Juniors, or linking with local schools to develope a good relationship, or both, is where the focus should be, not throwing money at flags and blowing your reputation. Yes, it is inevitable that some inducements need to be made, especially as you climb into higher grades, but within your means and with eyes on next year and beyond. Premierships are only worth winning if they build your club history and culture, not if they send you broke.
by BigB
Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Anzac Day

Just to get back on topic.. Unley Mercedes doing military bugler, our resident Vet doing the ode etc,, but a little twist given its the actual day.. Two Up after the A Grade. Legal to play two up on ANZAC day and a little more upbeat way of honouring the memory of the diggers of WW1 given the 100yr anniversary of Gallipoli. So hopefully a bit of fun.
by BigB
Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 2 - 2015

Saturday's Unley Mercedes V GAZA game was fantastic. Game never had more than a goal or two in it. Anyone who thinks you have to go to Adelaide oval to see the best footy is missing out on the real game :) Two tough sides playing gutsy football. Some frustrating decisions by the men in white but overall a very entertaining game.
by BigB
Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Club Payments Crackdown

Gee Jetters... you know how to upset folks. (insert disclaimer here ;) )
My two bobs worth:
- No club with aspirational objectives can get away without payments given everyone else is and it's a competition.
- The salary cap is in my view great in principle for many reasons but will be near nigh impossible to police for the other many reasons already laid out by other respondents.
- To make it work, the penalties for clubs found breaching the rules need to be so great that it won't be worth the risk... this may have to be the Al Capone factor, ie hung out by the Tax office + other penalties such as suspension / relegation etc.
- at present, what a club is prepared to pay is up to them and should not be the source of derision by others. The question for the club is; should we be spending money building a club where people want to play rather than forking out so much to players that we have nothing left for the "club building" strategy, such as junior developement etc?
- how little UMJ pay players would surprise many - we have a large core of ex-juniors, college graduates and their mates who want to play with us because we have a good club culture and an ongoing strategy to maintain it. Some of these lads have been together since under 9's. We have 98% volunteer players, with many of our A Grade who could be earning big money elsewhere just wanting to play for the jumper. Neither do they mind the odd marquee player pulling a few bucks. (and don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about because I most certainly do.) We have got where we are through a strategic planned approach and a lot of hard work off field rather than just throwing money at chaps and crossing the fingers.

So my view is if a Div 7 club or anyone else for that matter, wants to pay players, that's up to them, but if they think thats all they need to do to bring long term success, think again.
by BigB
Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 2 - 2015

He was already employed by the boss, so just part of an existing employee/employer relationship to have discussions about all manner of work related stuff. Anyway, he's a grass roots boy who loves our "country club" kind of community. And we love him too :)
by BigB
Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Old Scholars and the Points System

You have to play 20 games for the feed in school
I'm not sure UHS play in a competition that would allow that

When I was at school they definitely had some teams in ISSA. Apart from that if you field a knockout side all five years of high school and make decent run at it you'd just scrape in!
Would have to play at least 4 games every year. How many knockout rounds per season?

My last year you had to play 3 bull-shit half hour games in one day to get out of round one! (from memory Unley was one of the teams we played too)

Good question re Unley High... the relationship is still in the constitution and we get a lot of lads who are UHS grads who play but the relationship would never pass a test if you wanted to look at application of the rules.
We don't even consider it. Might be worth opening up the dialouge ;)
And I am always a sucker for bait - too trusting of people's intelligence and integrity.. I clearly need to lower the bar - lol
by BigB
Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Drugs, umps and other ammo's news

You don't need to look at the papers too often to understand we need to send a message to young men that violent and other generally antisocial behaviour is not acceptable. The League is simply reflecting community expectations. Clubs are part of our community and should by now understand they are not immune to consequences of actions at odds with those expectations. It must be hard for the guys who just want a game of footy, but they then need to be exemplars of acceptible behavious to their peers and have the word with those who might be less inclined.
by BigB
Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CH9AFL Division 1 2016

At the start of the season if you'd said The Jets would finish between Goodwood and Henley.. you'd have thought they'd be having a pretty good year :)
by BigB
Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Salary Cap Investigations

Yes there are 7 Divisions to allow for all levels of success, but a Div 7 club with aspirations but little cash should have the potential at least to rise up the Divs in the same way a club with lots of dollars can. Whilst I think the cap is hard to police, I can't see another way to stop particular clubs dominating, or others under poor management falling over.
by BigB
Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 2 - 2018

FINALLY !!!!!

THE TIGERS HAVE BEATEN

THE UNLEY MERCEDES JETS!!!!!!

An amazing win and a great turn out for the Tigers as well.

Well done to Broadies for sticking with it.. early injuries cost us for sure on a warm day but to your credit you worked hard to get back in the game. Great final tho.. the result only being certain in the last 2 minutes. Good luck for the rest of the major round.
by BigB
Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2021 Adel Footy League - Division 1

Indeed sickening.. News today is that Jacob is resting at home. No apparent major issues but will get appropriate follow up.
by BigB
Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Clearances

There are times I think the comparison is unfair on the South Australian Footballer to be honest.

The Advertiser's standards and shameless plagiarism are deplorable given the cash they bring in.

Also, not the place, but back when I was on the committee i was the one assigned the task of putting in death notices for life members. What a ******* rort.

I won't support the Murdoch Press (where I can help it), but I think the SA Footballer do a bit of their own plagiarism.... used to have our club's milestone game and other news lifted directly from our social media without any reference to the author. Quid pro quo Clarice ;)
by BigB
Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |