Search found 13 matches

Return

Re: Grade Cricket

The relevance of the U19 addition is no longer an issue. I think the clubs have made it clear they would rather have a bye than lose their U19's. A 14th team is long in the future, two divisions would create a haves and have nots with all potential or current high performance players having to play in Div 1. The clubs have made it clear that they will not take decisive action to reduce the number of clubs, no one wants to merge, so 13 it is into the foreseeable future.

So the end result is we have a second tier competition that bears no relevance to high performance, there are numerous examples of that last year.
Fergie having two nets against the Bulls, but no he can't field at all.
Bowlers either not being allowed to bowl on Sat cause they have futures game starting Monday or only being able to bowl 10 overs.
Dalton making runs for fun in grade, it was only when he scored runs for second 11 he got a start, despite Raph's continual lack of runs.

So the GC committee have the competition they want where it is all about their club and nothing to do with their relevance to high performance or producing state and test cricketers.

The Premier League is here to stay.
by Bulls forever
Fri May 26, 2017 10:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

BOTR - with a long weekend in a couple of days the punters could be expecting another club to be reviewed:)

Here you go.

Team #9 Tea Tree Gully

Finished 5th, 4th, 7th & 4th in senior cricket. Juniors finished 5th & 10th in the 16's and 8th & 5th in the 14's.

Need
Youth. The guys who are there now are the same ones that were there 5 years ago. Granted, they have been relatively successful over that time, especially with white ball cricket, but they need to blood some younger guys soon. Peter Sleep is a good enough coach and would be passionate about almost any job he was given, so they have a good one here. You can tell that a few of the players are moving past it now though, they just don't quite have the same onfield arrogance that used to be there. That said, they still win games of cricket, so it's not panic stations just yet.

Have Spoken/Should Speak To
Not a lot of noise has come out of the Bullring. Generally a promote from within club in the past, with the exception of Hutchinson. They probably don't need to speak to any particular player type either, more just the right aged player. One thing they should be doing is sitting down with young Oakley and reassuring him of his spot at the club moving forward, he'd get plenty more opportunity if he wants to pursue his cricket elsewhere and they probably have him in the B's if their best 11 is available. Don't want him doing a Tyrell Sinclair and skipping out just when he's almost ready.

Key Next Season
Blood some kids. I'm not sure of the level of talent in their lower grades or juniors, but it can't be that bad. They've had a couple guys in and around the junior state squads recently so they could be worth a crack. Quite a strong TTG presence here though so if anyone can help out with some names to watch that would be great. As per usual though I'd expect TTG to roll out the same top 6 performance next season and the season after that until the core group of Evans x2, Davey, Weaver and Sommerfield pull up stumps.

Feedback appreciated, it's been a long time between drinks but I didn't want to disrupt all the interesting conversation.
by backoftheroom
Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Looking thru draw, the Bank SA seems to be reduced to one week, plus 20/20 games? SACA been pushing to get rid of this Carnival, this might be the final nail in coffin, seems waste of time if just 20/20 matches!
This competition highlights some moronic decisions grade clubs made previously.

SACA wanted it to be an U16 carnival and to use it to pick the next season's State U17 squad. Very sensible. Make it part of the state pathway. U16s including all those up in seniors, all the college kids and the country kids would be quite strong.

It lasted one year.

The grade clubs bleated like stuck pigs about it. Got it changed back to U17 so that it had no relevance whatsoever to the pathway. Now has effectively been replaced by U16 Redbacks League.

Grade clubs successfully making themselves redundant.
by Tony Clifton
Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Uni are poaching from everywhere. They had a Southerns junior on debut Saturday. If you get kids from other clubs to give them opportunities then so be it. Some clubs have better catchment and junior areas than others. That’s just life.
What annoys me is when clubs like uni poach kids then put these kids in the 2’s and don’t develop them and put overseas players on there head.
Port have a lot of Woodville players but they have developed them from B’s to good A graders. Fair play.
Woodville have done much the same in my books as look at how good Dickman has been this season and McDowell who is a West Torrens junior is becoming a pretty handy cricketer.

Uni have gone and got Harms and Edwards to name a few as top up players. Those blokes are learning absolutely nothing in the B’s. That is wrong
by The Myth
Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

They are going to poach anyway (and do so) offer cash and sign interstate/overseas players as they don't have a junior set up. Get juniors or play ATCA IMO.

To get juniors it requires 12 club delegates to suck up a bit of pride and vote to allow them have a junior set up that University craves.......numerous proposals have been put forward by the Bookworms only to be knocked back by the clubs that already have them!
by heater31
Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thread finally delivering!
by Tony Clifton
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

E2014, another debutant for you on the weekend?

Yes, young keeper from the B's, Eric Carrington. He was keeper in the State 15's last year. Don't think he can make it as a keeper, why when Drennan went home to QLD we went with Fisher, but he keeps making runs so deserves his opportunity.

Two seasons ago when we could not make finals, we gave couple of kids a go who were not ready, one was Bailey Capel. The experience just helps feel more comfortable next year, hopefully Eric can follow Bailey's path next year.
by Eagles2014
Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Carrington has certainly earned his spot looking at his B Grade scores. Nice to see kids promoted on potential AND performance, rather than just talent alone.
by Tony Clifton
Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Now the season is done its time to reflect.

Pet hate - I know we do it better than most at Perti with T20 games and looking after both teams players. What I really hate is the expectation our players will leave work at 3.30 say, travel to the ground, play a 3 hour game of cricket, walk off the ground and they can't even get a snag and bread at the ground. IMO the clubs that can't be bothered should not be able to host games. I know at Perti we have a great footy club that comes and supports us, buys beers and for the club it turns into a good night, but we have worked bloody hard to establish that.

Pet hate 2 - posters getting on here and bagging players for either no apparent reason or for something that happened a millennium ago. Move on, just remember at some stage we r going to have to forgive the current crop of Aussies, personally I have already moved on and await the penalty they get for being so stupid.

Deserve recognition. -
Kensington for borrowing our covers for C grade granny to ensure fairness, yes they have been returned.
Jones WT president who has already contacted our club in writing congratulating us on 2 premierships, with the "cliche" on GCC this is most unusual.
Page, Atkinson and Gatting who without their significant contributions it is unlikely our Fab5 would be celebrating this week.

TH - barking up the wrong tree (funny) mate, to quote "you can't handle the truth" - Jack N.
E14 - gee you did some research to provide that data and the answer is unlikely, but possible. As you have found out this year, you need talent, sound admin, good coaching and a reasonable amount of luck. The shorter the length of the game the more luck needed. Have checked and there were no posts from you about the other 10 premierships our Fab5 have won - touché.

Anyway go Modbury and Crows, keep us up to date on player movements, no doubt all will flock to Perti given Sleepy Has spoken to them all, and that is probably true.

PS - an unnamed club have offered Sleepy $30k to coach.
by Bulls forever
Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Junior codes

Watched u/12 GF yesterday. Pretty good game and as a neutral supporter thought the 2 umpires were pretty good (not sure the crowd agreed with me). Was disappointed that one kid spent the whole game on the bench. I know its a GF but surely every kid should get a run. All the scoring was at one end so could've easily put him at FF if didn't want him around the footy. Still a lot of work needs to be done with junior coaching, the yelling and carrying on from the sidelines was embarrassing, its u/12's not the AFL.
by beef
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Junior codes

Watched u/12 GF yesterday. Pretty good game and as a neutral supporter thought the 2 umpires were pretty good (not sure the crowd agreed with me). Was disappointed that one kid spent the whole game on the bench. I know its a GF but surely every kid should get a run. All the scoring was at one end so could've easily put him at FF if didn't want him around the footy. Still a lot of work needs to be done with junior coaching, the yelling and carrying on from the sidelines was embarrassing, its u/12's not the AFL.

Yep, it's crap and needs to be outlawed. Just keep paying free's against the bench, it's more fun when it's right in front of the bench though.
by Lightning McQueen
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Insider_Trading wrote:Adelaide Women's 1st grade today: all out for 23
Adelaide Women's 2nd Grade today: all out for 27

Yikes :oops:

Might need to merge with the Southerns girls……..oh hang on, already done that ;)
by Eagles2014
Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Two teams up feels like one too many
by Tony Clifton
Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |