Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sheffield Shield WA v SA - Nov 6-9

Lunch

2/100

Raphael 21*
Cooper 0*

Well done Raf batted out the session as an opener in his stage in his career that is no mean feat well I guess for any Redback to bat a session is a positive! ;) But a young lad that's very good.

2/100 at lunch if you offered me the that at the start of play I'd take it! We just cant do our usual trick now and come out and spud the joint up.

Gee I'd love to see Travis Head bat out a couple of sessions super talent.
by carey
Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Grade Cricket

Interesting comments by smac - nice dig at West Torrens!

Footy Smart is spot on - two brothers were from Balaklava I think, played in the Yorke Peninsula team, so were registered by SACA under this name. Three seasons ago were registered by West Torrens without a thought as YP is their zone. Amazing no commonsense was shown by Woodville who lodged the complaint or Andrew Carver from East Torrens who stripped all premiership points without a hearing. Lucky the Grade cricket committee saw the exceptional circumstances involved and that the Club was not at fault.

WT clear all players that want a clearance, if they dont want to play for you, why stop them moving. Unfortunately, Woodville take the opposite approach and refuse everyone, make them front their committee, etc and make it as hard as possible. Think Neil Holton loves causing grief.

Anyway, common sense prevailed, the Ray Sutton kids and families can put the last week of massive stress behind them and hopefully put up a good show in the Grand Final on Sunday.
by Willo
Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Willo, not sure if you're the right man to ask.

Why is this system so confusing?
Surely Balaklava should be part of the Mid North Zone not YP.
Where does Balaklava compete, in and around Clare doesnt it?
by daysofourlives
Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Another Brilliant East Torrens Choke!!

To recap for those at the back:

2011/12 - West End Cup semi vs West Torrens - ET needed 10 runs off the last 5 overs with 6 wickets in hand and lost by 2 runs.

2012/13 - Grand Final vs Glenelg - ET had the mighty Bays 6/23 and then 7/74 before conceding 238 then being bowled out for 112 to lose by heaps.

2013/14 - ET go from top to 6th and miss finals after losing to the bottom team 2 weeks in a row. Unable to chase 180 against an ordinary Prospect attack despite their top 6 containing 2x international players, 2x FC players and 2x 2nd XI players.

However they carry themselves as the most arrogant, cocky team in the competition led by the keeper and a spoilt school child.
YOUR LAST PREMIERSHIP WAS 23 YEARS AGO YOU CLOWNS. PULL YOUR HEADS IN.

A large diet of humble pie in the off-season I reckon.
#RedNation

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.
Enjoy Mad Monday.
by C Horse
Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

There is something off about the fact the two other names mentioned in the story are Daryl Cox and Jamie Cox...
by Trader
Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SACA apply to CA

No Stones & No Final.... that was an anti-climax!
by scoob
Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: T20 World Cup

It's a club game, not an international game. Leave it to BBL, IPL, Champions league etc.
by smac
Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cossies back!

Amazing to think its only taken 12 hours for everyone on here to really only talk about his weight, KFC, Hungry Jacks etc. The bloke is a quality cricketer (and bloke for that matter), these types of comments are ridiculous and are unrequired. Lets just let him score his runs and not snipe him when he isnt scoring runs because apparently he is overweight. Thrived down in Tasmania and at Glamorgan and at club level when the coaches told him runs are what you get picked on. He is no hack recruit like some of SACA's in the past, lets embrace him back in SA cricket and get around a home grown product in the SACA sides.
by the star
Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thanks Willo.

Wouldn't be surprised if there are a couple of mergers, but will be a stretch to get it down to 10 teams, even though that number would be ideal IMO. Would have thought Northern Districts cover Gawler well enough.

Junior idea has merit, as does the D Grade becoming U19's, as does reducing the amount of cricket played via eradicating the one day comp.

Clubs would gladly accept SACA doing pitch prep and spend more on coaching I'd imagine.

The key is getting the number of clubs down to 10 and that will be bloody hard!
by Aerie
Tue May 27, 2014 11:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The simplest change that would have the biggest effect would be to have no Sunday cricket. I reckon you'd find players staying in the game longer and therefore the standard would improve. Plus clubs could make more money by having more people back at the club at the same time - not to mention less to do for volunteers/scorers/umpires etc.

An Under 18 or 19 would also be a good idea to transition players through.

Keep Sundays for Premier League - which has a role to play.
by Aerie
Thu May 29, 2014 9:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Taity's back!!!!

Geez you're a bunch of ****.

Good luck to him, I can imagine you all falling over yourselves if he and Coz lead us to a Shield.
by smac
Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Peter George off to Qld is the latest. No contract but could do a Ryan Harris and resurrect his career up on the more bowler friendly decks in brissy. Best of luck to him, reckon he was shafted a bit by the redbacks.

The Eagles will miss him, but with a fully fit Kelly, Derham and Cullen and some good youngsters in Williams and Johnson, their bowling should hold up. Batting will again be their problem but a big opportunity for some of the young guys to step up. Don't think they'll see a lot of K Smith this season....

I heard Kelly to Grange?

The Dollarphins are waving the cheque book around again???
by heater31
Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I've always been of the opinion that if a player doesn't want to play at your club then you're better off letting them go. You just need to do your best to provide an environment that they want to play in and have success. It is certainly disappointing when a young promising player leaves after the amount of time that is invested in to them, but it creates opportunity for somebody else who really wants it.
by Aerie
Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Biggest Finals Upsets

2004 Henley Cgrade won Div 7 from fifth had to beat CLG who were undefeated all year at CLG in final round to make the 5 then beat West Croydon Wingfield Houghton and Beat CLG in GF by 7 goals was an amazing 5 weeks of footy for us that year
by Barnyard08
Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Biggest Finals Upsets

2004 Henley Cgrade won Div 7 from fifth had to beat CLG who were undefeated all year at CLG in final round to make the 5 then beat West Croydon Wingfield Houghton and Beat CLG in GF by 7 goals was an amazing 5 weeks of footy for us that year

That was an amazing 5 weeks of footy and about equal time spent celebrating, especially with all 3 other senior grade winning flags that season. The story goes the supporters at the As were more excited getting the score updates from the Cs than the game in front of them, that Henley won by plenty.

Remember seeing the Henley boys a week later at the D1 GF where Broadview upset Goodwood getting tanked again.....
by heater31
Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ATCA 2013/14.

This rule has certainly annoyed a few people at Pooraka.

Our A Grade always take a carton to an away match. They have a drink in the change rooms, then go into the home teams club room and have drink.
Not been allowed to have a beer in the change rooms isn't going to result in them spending more over the bar.
Instead of having 1 - 2 in the change rooms then 1 in the club rooms, now they will just have 1 in the clubrooms then leave.
by Brumbies
Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Redbacks 2014/15

I still love the redbacks, it's ****** I wish I didn't sometimes

It's a "Treat them mean, keep them keen" relationship
by Coach Bombay
Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Location, location, location. Sandwiched between St Michael's and Henley High together with excellent relationship with Yorke Peninsula country zone and of course some excellent people involved with the junior set up gives a formula for success. A long way from the old days at Kings Reserve, thankfully.
by Aerie
Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Western Australia v South Australia 7/2 - 11/2

Shark_Hunter wrote:Is anyone else having trouble with the WA vs SA stream on the Cricket Australia website? Kelvin smith has started well, 2 x 4s in the first over!

Yes! Kids asleep, lunch on the table and ready to watch the cricket! Frustrating!
by Aerie
Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sack Chuck

Is their any proof that the standard of grade cricket instertate is much better than here? its a good debate but plenty of variables

Apart from our inability to regularly produce competent First Class cricketers for the last 20 years or so, none.

It may not be better, but the pitches are totally different. Not flat, dead roads,where the quicks and medium pacers have the keeper up after the 30th over and the ball doesn't get over waist height.
All this does is create front shoe bullies, where the pitch doesn't change and batsmen can bat with very little risk all day.
Probably why we get rolled on 4th day pitches in Shield Matches where there is variable bounce.
by helicopterking
Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Woodville in essence this weekend could pick 9 batsman, 2 all rounders, win the toss and bowl, set defensive fields, let TTG bat the first day, force them to make the play, but with no fielding restrictions they can bowl wide of off stump and set fields to that.. then just bat out a day with a side full of batsman and they win the flag..

Surely some sort of compulsory declaration has to be enforced, the side should have at least 80 overs to chase the runs.. I like the idea of the side being able to bat on for 10-15 overs on day 2, leaving 80 overs minimum to chase what they need..

Were quite happy with the rules and understand our position. We messed up last round and lost top spot, thats out fault and our 'bed to lay in'. Last year we won the toss and batted v Woodville in the semi, needing the win. Still achieved that result, so its more than achievable to get the result no matter the rules.

I reckon just about every player in A & B grade (where these rules apply) are happy with the current arrangements and it makes for tougher cricket. Teams used to bowl negatively because they didn't need wickets to win - now they do.

People that are saying the current rules promote negative cricket are clearly out of touch because the opposite is true! We want blokes to be able to bat 4+ hours at the next level and this is the best format to allow it.

Summed up perfectly C Horse. The players dont mind the rules and it adds a bit of strategy and plan execution to the games. This season, Northerns batted to long, leaving us roughly 40 overs (off the top of my head) to get 180-190 odd. We lost a couple quick wickets midway through the chase meaning we then shut up shot to avoid the loss. The ability to play for the draw is important in first class cricket so why not play similar conditions? it really is a non issue IMO
by Footy Smart
Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Woodville in essence this weekend could pick 9 batsman, 2 all rounders, win the toss and bowl, set defensive fields, let TTG bat the first day, force them to make the play, but with no fielding restrictions they can bowl wide of off stump and set fields to that.. then just bat out a day with a side full of batsman and they win the flag..

Surely some sort of compulsory declaration has to be enforced, the side should have at least 80 overs to chase the runs.. I like the idea of the side being able to bat on for 10-15 overs on day 2, leaving 80 overs minimum to chase what they need..

Were quite happy with the rules and understand our position. We messed up last round and lost top spot, thats out fault and our 'bed to lay in'. Last year we won the toss and batted v Woodville in the semi, needing the win. Still achieved that result, so its more than achievable to get the result no matter the rules.

I reckon just about every player in A & B grade (where these rules apply) are happy with the current arrangements and it makes for tougher cricket. Teams used to bowl negatively because they didn't need wickets to win - now they do.

People that are saying the current rules promote negative cricket are clearly out of touch because the opposite is true! We want blokes to be able to bat 4+ hours at the next level and this is the best format to allow it.
by C Horse
Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 8 - 2015

yeah but kids nowdays crack the sads if everyone doesn't get a go.

Welcome to the everyone wins generation.

:) so your son comes home for third week in a row cracks a tantrum smashes his room up says "they sat me on the bench for half a game again!, 3 weeks in a f##ken row!!"

Are u gonna say welcome to the everyone wins generation son :)

I can remember playing a game in my first year at Kilburn back in 97 where we had 21 players when I was just 18 - spent the entire game on the bench, did not get a second on the field. I went to my coach after the game and asked why and the common term match ups was used and the game was close and couldnt get me on - the next week I was dropped to the C grade and named as emergency in the B grade, got a late call up, played and was second best on ground, finished third in the B grade B&F later that year. Now days if this happened these guys do get the sooks and leave and go to another club. All keeping me on the bench that one game did was make me keener to prove the guy wrong - this is what I teach my son and not to have the "life has to be fair" attitude - if you want more game time, work on your game - if your only getting a half, ask why and work on it.
by TEX07
Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 8 - 2015

Marbles, are you noting a common theme in interpreting a problem with Henley's internal policies (say playing your 3rd strongest side in D Grade, not rotating 25 players in your C Grade) as a problem in the League's rules?

Seems to work fine for everyone else

Completely incorrect. First your just taking pot shots at my club to stir the post with false assumptions.

There is 1 dgrader from last season in this years cgrade. At no point did we ever play our 3rd best side in the dgrade. That is a myth.

Secondly there is no rotational issue anywhere. I merely stating that with 25 blokes on a team up to 15 of those players will barely get to play 2 quarters in a match

I not asking for a rule change, and of course I'm aware we don't have to play 25

Its merely a discussion on the concept of playing 25 players and the consequence on the 15 effected individuals who spend most of the day on the bench.
by marbles
Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

C1 - season 2015

For Bomber4Eva to discuss C1 games

Also - Henley were very good on the weekend. Fit, skilled, most of them ran all day and I think they will push most teams this season. Good group of guys at Henley and the game was played it good spirits from both sides. Both umps weren't too bad either.
by Fricky
Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: C1 - season 2015

marbles wrote:A 46 year old in an under 23 side :)

He is 2 players.
by Lightning McQueen
Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ATCA 2014/15.

I think the LO competition is a good option for clubs. It served us well for many years and there are something like 8 clubs that just play this. The game is different but the standard has improved and an LOA premiership is nothing to be scoffed at, even something to aspire to. Obviously not the prestige or standard of the higher 2 day A grade Divs. Typically it can be said that clubs top LO team is better than their 2 day B grade team.

I don't think offering more cricket would increase the number of people playing or increase the time people play. I certainly give credence to the idea of transferring more games to Friday nights when permissible. Opens up peoples weekends and allows players of the same club to be able to spectate the games. On that, another idea could be to schedule a number of A grade games to start later and end later or other games to start earlier or finish earlier (Less overs/no second innings), that way clubs could regularly come back to their home club and watch the ending of games.. Eventually you would witness a thriller.. was lucky enough to have our game finish early on the second day, Got back to the club and saw our A's get their score 9 down.

It might be a good option for clubs, but not for a lot of players. Playing a season of LO cricket can still be expensive for the player and is a 20+ week Saturday afternoon commitment.

I certainly think it would bring a lot of people back/keep people in the game. If I want to try to slog 10 balls for six, bowl a couple of overs, have a laugh with my mates, call the opposition batsman useless, drink piss after the game, and do it for 6-8 weeks where do I go?? This is what a huge amount of cricket lovers want to do. We should offer this product and not resist because it doesn't fit with our traditionalists views of a cricket season.

I think this new membership would revitalise cricket clubs by attracting new members. A few would no doubt go on to play full season cricket and get more involved in the club.

Thinking about my footy and cricket club, only a couple of us do both, it's asking a lot for players to commit all year round. Yet, most of the footy players love their cricket, but wont make that level of commitment, especially on the back of their footy commitments. Lets give them a product that they want!
by Jetters
Mon May 18, 2015 8:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

There's two parts of Shield cricket
1) Success in the Sheffield Shield competition
2) Producing Australian players

The two goals conflict with each other at times. Eg if NSW has bunch of players picked for Australia then this hampers their Shield success aspirations. On the flip side, states that are full of mature players who will be 'Shield only' cricketers and help them win games there will find it harder to produce Australian players.

I'm not sure where SA's priorities have been in the past. We haven't been successful in either. It's seemed there hasn't been a clear direction or priority.

SA is a smaller state which carries some disadvantages in terms of talent pool but there should be some advantages too. It should be easier for us to identify our standout talents earlier and do extra work with those players. In larger states talented players get lost in the mix simply because there are so many. Also standout young players in SA should get opportunities to play Shield and Futures cricket earlier than equivalently skilled players in other states.

I feel that by stocking up on so many 'handy' interstate players over the years that we're actually undoing the one advantage smaller states possess.

I'm thrilled this year that there is a crop of talented SA youngsters in our squad, a number of whom will/could be in the Shield XI (Head, Smith, Sayers, Lehmann, Gregory, Benton, Valente, Nielsen). We've had Shield matches previously where there has only been two South Aussies in the XI! And still finished bottom...
by Tony Clifton
Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015 Matador BBQ's One-Day Cup

South Australia 5/244 (49)

Cooper 77 (80)
Ludeman 50 (81)

Swepson 2/43

Cricket Australia XI 168 (42.1)

Cartwright 66 (76)

Andrews 4/41
Zampa 4/48

SA won by 79 runs

MOTM: Tom Cooper

NSW have already advanced to the Final on Sunday and the Redbacks now play Victoria in the SF on Friday starting at 1:30pm.
by Gozu
Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015 Matador BBQ's One-Day Cup

Interesting to see the Redbacks at $3 for the semi.

I think we are a big chance to upset the red hot favourites. Everyone is expecting the star studded Vic line up to get the chocolates but maybe it's just my love of all SA sports teams but I'm going to back them in.

Anyone else think we can knock off the Pricks
by wristwatcher
Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The actual situation is that kids who go to schools in PCs 5022 and 5032 DO NOT all live in post codes 5022 and 5032. Just covering all bases so no one misses out on playing for the mighty Western Eagles.
by ferret
Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You have no idea C Horse. Financially sound with money in the bank, consistent small profits and no debt. Facilities are excellent. Football club relationship fine. Henley has always been West Torrens area. The main problem is West Torrens, Woodville and Port don't have any representation on the SACA board!

How will Glenelg and Woodville (or merged WWT cricket if it happens) go when the Glenelg and Eagles SANFL clubs die. Both making massive losses and SANFL is going from bad to worse.

No point taking any notice of C Horse, everything he writes on here is dribble! He has some real issues with West Torrens, reckon he has lost a fair few times to them over the years to be so bitter!!

Aerie summed it up perfectly, Henley Oval one of the better places to play at, and the most important thing, we do the best Afternoon teas in the comp (speak to your Bay players from A Grade when they came - were gob smacked!).

SACA plan on going to 10 teams in couple of years, so other Clubs will be in same boat soon, so don't get too smug. Is no fault of the Club, just being pushed by Bradshaw big time.

I'm glad someone else took C. Horse to task. I can't believe that West Torrens is in the gun. A fantastic cricket club that has been hugely successful over a long period of time, with the best junior set up of any grade club. C. Horse if from Glenelg, shouldn't be so smug as they have been handed everything from the SACA and have been a major failure for a long time. Their record over recent times is poor.
by oyster
Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You have no idea C Horse. Financially sound with money in the bank, consistent small profits and no debt. Facilities are excellent. Football club relationship fine. Henley has always been West Torrens area. The main problem is West Torrens, Woodville and Port don't have any representation on the SACA board!

How will Glenelg and Woodville (or merged WWT cricket if it happens) go when the Glenelg and Eagles SANFL clubs die. Both making massive losses and SANFL is going from bad to worse.
by Aerie
Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Brilliant result for Southern District against a top quality finals-proven team. Club should be very proud. Have slowly become more competitive at A Grade level for the last few years and have done it largely with a team made up of locals.
by Tony Clifton
Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sheffield Shield Season 2015/2016

IF YOU AINT FIRST YOU ARE LAST. Who cares how well you played in the season. Or who has played well. Those stats don't win ya medals or trophies.

Who lost the shield the year before we won in 1995/96? That's right it was South Australia who gave Queensland their first ever :roll:

Learning experience for all involved
by heater31
Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Heard rumour Jake Winter knocked back rookie contract with Redbacks. But not to go to Tassie like was mentioned previously.

Going to just play at Glenelg, going back to study at Uni and then get full time job.

Another player SACA have stuffed around, sick of them having their favourites who they give the world too and let all this talent go to waste. Need to play at Woodville with Harry so Daddy will give them a rookie contract, what a joke!!

Find SA cricket hard to understand, looked at their contracts and Kelvin Smith appears nowhere. How does one person have so much power, why do they allow him to control everything with no questions asked, the performance of the State team is currently not remotely competitive. When one of our most talented young players appears nowhere on the contract list surely serious questions need to be asked of the processes being used together with the lack of improvement. The best thing that can happen sadly, is for people like Kelvin Smith to rub their noses in it as it seems like it is a closed shop in this state!!
by billy
Tue May 14, 2019 8:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

He's just stating a fact.
Zero presence in their zone.
History

Needs to be irrelevant to any future
:roll:

Its not a relationship that local clubs need to repair. Instead how about they engage with their community and then they might gain some support and respect.
There's that open mind and forward thinking that makes SA cricket great! :D

*If* premier cricket goes through its biggest ever upheaval and multiple clubs get forcibly merged, resources are pooled in greater concentration at fewer clubs... then you'd hope that they'd run better. Things done wrong previously start being done properly.

However if even after all that there are stakeholders holding grudges from previous years and don't see this as an opportunity to start afresh then sheesh, let's cancel the sport.

Likewise if grade clubs who have had poor/non-existent relationships with their zones and ended up struggling and merging as a result carry on in the exact same way then we're stuffed as well.
by Tony Clifton
Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So is it Uni vs WT, Kens vs Glen in A's

Glen vs WT, Kens vs Sturt in Bs?
by Tony Clifton
Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

There is an on-line petition if you want to support the clubs involved or should I say clubs affected...

https://www.change.org/p/keep-west-torrens-district-cricket-club-port-adelaide-cricket-club-as-stand-alone-clubs?recruiter=514601657

I signed this. HAve no affiliation with either club other than playing against them both 16- 20 years ago. Such clubs with such long history should not be forced to make these decisions on a whim by SACA.
by rainbow warrior
Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Heard 7 Board Members resigned straight away after the vote. Club is falling apart :shock:

If true, they had no option but to resign immediately. Their positions on the board of management is untenable.

Hopefully some of those that voted in favour of the motion will now step up to guide them out of this mess. Won't be easy but they have a mandate from the membership to remain as a separate entity.
by heater31
Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Very interesting to see the poaching tactic of WT this season. Does bring up the question why the younger players Crouch, Carrington, Pointon etc have not progressed compared to others their age? Have WT missed the boat in developing the next batch of talent? Apparently WT coaching panel refused to go to any other games besides 1st grade?!

What a load of piffle, you don't know the intimate details of selection. One coach/ selector is regularly at second grade matches, and another coach/selector plays third grade, the first three grades well covered. You are talking cow manure.
by ferret
Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Which grade clubs should go?

I'm a dad of a 12 yo lad who is slowly progressing through the bottom ages of district cricket, albeit through development squads.

To be honest, I don't thing there is any 'development' at all. He is in a development squad and what I have seen is the coaches say "good shot" in the nets but nothing about technique, nothing about poor shot selection, nothing about building innings, nothing about partnerships, nothing about putting pressure on the bat by bowling consecutive maiden overs. Maybe that will come as he progresses. I don' t know. All I know is that when I speak to other district clubs at the same age group, all the parents say the same thing, it's very ordinarily managed. At our club, there is a disconnect between the development squad and the coaches at the next level. So when my son was selected at the next level, there wasn't any consideration for his batting position, fielding position, bowling position.

Given he is 12 and if the five year blocks of play, train, compete win (if you subscribe to the Istvan Balyi structure of athlete development letting kids play and enjoy the game should be the prime focus the tactical side ( nothing about poor shot selection, nothing about building innings, nothing about partnerships, nothing about putting pressure on the bat by bowling consecutive maiden overs ) can come as you train to train

I' He is in a development squad and what I have seen is the coaches say "good shot" in the nets but nothing about technique, nothing about poor shot selection,

However, you'd think this is some of the stuff that should start happening from an individual perspective as part of a development squad, pulling the kid over and doing some basic batting/bowling drills and giving him something to work on personally at each session or at home with Dad.
by am Bays
Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm a dad of a 12 yo lad who is slowly progressing through the bottom ages of district cricket, albeit through development squads.

He is an average kid in an average grade - and I'm not being defamatory about either, just saying he's not a star by all means. But what I've seen by way of tryouts and development squads makes me think that the top level is suffering because of the junior system underneath.

To be honest, I don't thing there is any 'development' at all. He is in a development squad and what I have seen is the coaches say "good shot" in the nets but nothing about technique, nothing about poor shot selection, nothing about building innings, nothing about partnerships, nothing about putting pressure on the bat by bowling consecutive maiden overs. Maybe that will come as he progresses. I don' t know. All I know is that when I speak to other district clubs at the same age group, all the parents say the same thing, it's very ordinarily managed. At our club, there is a disconnect between the development squad and the coaches at the next level. So when my son was selected at the next level, there wasn't any consideration for his batting position, fielding position, bowling position.

So, in summary, SACA need to install a policy/guideline about how the coaches need to 'coach' as a group. We as parents sit back and look at the juniors and then look at how SACA perform and marry the two up. It's disgracefully organised and shows through the grades right up to SACA level.

I should say that opposition clubs have called out a couple of clubs that have been exemplary in their organisation but unfortunately this isn't the norm.

I should add, before my son started trying out for district, i was of the same mind, that teams need to merge. Now, I'm not so sure that will fix anything.

Having been involved in coaching at the local level up in the hills i find this seriously concerning. Your son would get better coaching at nearly any of the junior clubs in the local league in the Adelaide Hills.

FWIW my vote for the mergers was as follows:

Southern/Glenelg - However base the club at Noarlunga and align them closely with the South Adelaide Panthers. That way everyone can benefit from the facilities. You cant lose the largest population and their access to cricket. There are incredibly strong cricket clubs in the southern area and if southern was allowed to die than that would be a real shame.

University/Prospect - Uni shouldnt be in the District system at all. They contribute nothing to junior cricket in the state and if they dont merge should piss off to turf.

Woodville/Port - similar siutation to Southern in that Port struggle for quality in almost every grade except the a grade. Merging port and woodville makes sense geographically.

In the end none of this will happen because too many clubs arent looking out for whats best for cricket in this state and only think of themselves.
by caleb777
Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

East Torrens/Kensington (after all, Kensington were originally a break off from East Torrens)
Prospect/Port Adelaide/University (a combination of wooden spoons and silver spoons, this merger is black and white)
West Torrens/Woodville (the greatest footy club on the planet proves this can work - they just need to prioritise the strongest clubs name first this time)
Glenelg/Southern District (Glenelg represents south better than, say Adelaide, plus I’m sure they’d gladly handover the SeaHorses logo to become the Stingrays)
Sturt/Adelaide (the closest clubs, in terms of distance, in the comp)
Northern Districts/Tea Tree Gully (they already had a merger of the womens teams didn’t they? Again, location makes sense).

6 team comp. Every club is merged. No favourites. If it’s good enough for Sheffield Shield to have a 6 team comp it’s good enough for Adelaide.
by Aerie
Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's the clubs

Games left unfinished

Ladders update automatically but some games are left as match in progress even after they're done
by Tony Clifton
Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ladder after Round 5
95 Sturt - surprise packets. Solid team. Spoors a decent recruit and some younger players coming on. Will the Kelly brothers be off to higher honours though?
70 University* - looking ominous, even without Wakim. Winter and Agar a destructive combo
65 West Torrens - strongest top order in the competition when at full strength. If Spencer Johnson stays fit they will be up there
60 Kensington* - there again. Big game vs West Torrens this round

60 Glenelg* - strong team as usual.
60 Tea Tree Gully - look a completely different unit with Page, Worden and Oakley all back. Contenders
60 East Torrens - Dangerous team in all formats. Got their regulars plus Campbell Thompson looks a find (left arm quick)

Sadly I think the teams from here down will be making up the numbers:
40 Port
40 Woodville
30 Prospect
20 Northern Districts*
20 Adelaide*
0 Southern District

*have had the bye

Some big games this round:
Tea Tree Gully vs Glenelg
University vs Sturt
West Torrens vs Kensington

Early days of course but these "8 point games" might be looked back upon as decisive, especially as teams want momentum going into Christmas
by Tony Clifton
Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Eagles2014 wrote:Redbacks draw released for rest of season does not clash with finals, so teams that make it should be at full strength which will make it interesting :shock:

What if the Redbacks make the final?

Just kidding :D
by Tony Clifton
Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Redbacks draw released for rest of season does not clash with finals, so teams that make it should be at full strength which will make it interesting :shock:
by Eagles2014
Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |