Search found 213 matches

Return

Re: Rnd 1 - Eagles v Central @ Maughan Thiem (Sat 5/4)

Would be interested in Doggies supporters' thoughts of how Tim McIntyre went in his first game, I noted he had 14 disposals and kicked 0.2. Did he play mainly as a midfielder as suggested when he was drafted?
Tim has had an injury interrupted pre-season and had only played a half of one trial, against his former club, in the lead up...

He looks very fit and has bulked up considerably but clearly lacked match fitness on Saturday...

He seems to have increased his agression levels as well and laid some very physically strong takles, one in particular on James Boyd...

I think he will take a few weeks to not only regain his match fitness but settle into the Dogs midfileld line up. I still think he'll be a good pick up...
by Big Phil
Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rounds 2 - Sturt v Adelaide Post Game

rd wrote:Don't know official crowd but I'm guessing 3500 at Unley today. I will be generous and give the Crows 300 at most.

I wouldn't expect anything less from a bunch of fake supporters supporting a fake team. Well done on the win Sturt.
by Blackwhite
Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 2 - Port Reserves v Glenelg Post Match

The question of a breakdown of 'Magpie' supporters and Power supporters is a very valid one as many 'Magpie' supporters have traditionally followed Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong, Carlton etc in the AFL/ VFL. Many haven't changed from that with the advent of a Port AFL franchise. So if there were hardly anyone with solely 'Magpies' clobber on you'd guess they've walked away from being lied to by those running the AFL franchise and that their SANFL club has been pimped out for other needs considered to be more important.
I had this very conversation with a Magpies supporter (who followed Essendon in the AFL) last year at the Sturt game at alberton. He was gutted and wasn't sure what he'd do this year.

In the bowling club? If so, he was there yesterday.

Yep. With a tall ranga with a banjo?

Yep, I know who you're talking about.

:lol:
by Booney
Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 3 Post Match - Eagles v Power

It was also a really weird atmosphere there. There were plenty of power/magpies supporters there yet they displayed zero excitement and passion despite belting us from the first bounce. In years gone by their supporters would have been gloating and giving it to us. But today.......nothing. Polite applause when they kicked a goal. Even their cheersquad remained pretty well quiet.

I'm thinking many of their loud-mouthed passionate supporters have given up and been replaced with well-behaved AFL supporters.

Wasn't there today since I no longer follow the magpies because of what has happened but you are spot on. I'm going to have a punt here and say that 75% of years gone by regular magpie supporters who attended 10+ games yearly have walked away. As a former cheer squad member, I can also say that only a few of last years members remain (and they are power supporters which explains it). To my knowledge, the cheer squad has been overtaken by Power cheer squad members.

As for the atmosphere, what do you expect? After all it is all a fraud and deep down, everyone knows that the magpies are unfortunatley dead, so how can any passion be displayed?
by Blackwhite
Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Future of the SANFL

It would be an interesting exercise to work out the weekly salary of the magpies and ravens each week to determine their cost for the season in the SANFL. The clubs then could look at increasing salary cap if in excess of it. Has this been discussed or considered?
Where would the additional funding come from? the brown paper bags they give now. Just ask the redlegs!
Hilarious coming from a mob that breached the cap the same year as us
by Jim05
Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

North v Norwood - Anzac Day - Post Game

North shot out of the blocks but Norwood dominated the 2nd and 3rd quarter before the better team who plays real football came home in the last.

NORTH 3.2 4.3 7.4 14.7 (91)
NORWOOD 1.2 5.7 7.12 9.16 (70)

BEST – North: Shannon, Miles, Amato, Mitchell, Campbell, Ryswyk, Thiele.
Norwood: Baulderstone, Panos, Jefferies, Murphy, Webber, Allan.

GOALS – North: Mitchell 4, Miles 3, Burton 2, Campbell, Amato, M. Thring, Shannon, Thiele.
Norwood: Roocke 2, Newton, Bartlett, Bampton, M. Evans, Murphy, Donohue, Phillips.

CROWD – 10,014 at Adelaide Oval.

BOB QUINN MEDAL – Jay Shannon (North

Well done to the Norwood supporters today that made it, I honestly don't think I could watch that style for more than 1 or 2 games a year. You're a credit to your club!

What a freaking amazing banner by the North fans, the best in Australia still.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/v/t1.0-9/10308264_10152172860082912_4785867537279679028_n.jpg?oh=cbf172920d09fb309a7b6d1175141db9&oe=53CD9E0F&__gda__=1405937417_c7a9e4840511c6465de3045323d478bc
by Wedgie
Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Reserves. The Pros and Cons:

Interesting that SANFL members have to pay to get into finals. But supporters of a team from another competition get into the SANFL for free.
by Dogwatcher
Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 4 – Eagles v Sturt – Post game

Smallest 3500 I've ever seen.
Well done Eagles. First half set it up when we struggled to match up your talls up fwd and counter your pressure around the ball. If we had've kicked straight we may have won.
Coad is showing himself to be a great leader.
Good game all in all.

I hope your not suggesting figures are being manipulated to justify a major deciscion that's been made recently.

No organisation in the world would do that

:lol:
by whufc
Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Rnd 5 - Adelaide v Port Magpies @ Clare Oval (Sun 4/5)

We have a great looking forward line, if the ball gets down there enough we should be able to finish. Has there ever been a better forward line at SANFL level?

F: Walker, Johnston, Porp
HF: Knights, McKernan, Callinan
Over the decades there have been plenty of good forward lines.
May be the best forward line of the era since the Crows came in but pre AFL days there were better forward lines
How soon we forget the great eras, most of those players you have named wouldnt be fit to clean the boots of the great SANFL players of the past
by Jim05
Thu May 01, 2014 11:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 6 - Port Magpies v Sturt @ Alberton (Sun 11/5)

Looking forward to see how we shape up against the franchise salary cap cheats .

You obviously have proof to back up your claims? I look forward to reading it.

Well when you add up the wages of the AFL blokes I bet you don't get past 2 players before you exceed the opposition's salary restrictions........
by heater31
Tue May 06, 2014 8:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 6 - Port Magpies v Sturt @ Alberton (Sun 11/5)

The amount of whinging about Port Adelaide is unbeleivable It gives clubs and ideal target for where clubs should be The SANFL needs to have clubs acheive that level to ensure we remain a viable competition not go backwards. Do the work required crows side on the weekend had more AFL listed players in thier side but because they lost not a word said The calibre of playerssmith walker rutten ottens thompson etc Please lets make the sanfl survive and not end up like the WAFL

This is so true. I can't believe all of the other SANFL clubs haven't stepped up to Ports level. The sooner they all go and recruit 15 AFL players and not include their payments in the salary cap the better. If they could then dodge up the payments they do count by shuffling them off into their 2018 salary cap while using employment within the club as a further way to manipulate their team structure then the SANFL will finally be getting somewhere.

I hope Sturt win the game.
by SANFLnut
Wed May 07, 2014 10:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL related media articles

Great article, would be awesome if this did happen, although i'd imagine port would try and get some more special conditions with any new deal, can't be trusted with anything.
by Tech1
Wed May 07, 2014 9:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port v Sturt - Post Match wrap up

Known as Who's My Dad Day at the wharfs ...
by dedja
Mon May 12, 2014 6:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Round 7 - Sturt v West @ Envestra Park inc Post Match

This should be an intriguing contest and one that both side will no doubt be setting themselves for. The Double Blues would be disappointed with the performance against the almost full-time side in Port Power Reserves, trading as Port Adelaide Magpies, while the Bloods comfortably accounted for the Crows reserves who were playing kids in a League game of football that were struggling to hold a reserves spot at their local SANFL club.

Looking forward to getting along to this one and catching an authentic game of SANFL, myself...

STURT v WEST

Envestra Park, Unley

Sunday, May 18th 2014

Reserves @ 11:25am

League @ 2:10pm

Broadcast - 1197 RPH Adelaide, from 2:00pm
by Big Phil
Tue May 13, 2014 12:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

There is so much done to equalise sporting competitions throughout the world (drug testing, salary cap, drafts, handicaps) and what has happened to the SANFL is going the polar opposite to this. No matter which way you look at it, the introduction of two AFL Reserves teams is not fair.

There are positives and negatives and those who see a fair, even competition, as the number one consideration are rightly bemused by what has happened.

From an AFL viewpoint, the consideration of an even, fair competition is outweighed by the need for developing players and for them, currently at least, the best option is to do this in their own backyard both in terms of value for money and strength of competition. They will tell themselves that there is increased exposure to the SANFL. Dittmar said it's been great, then when asked if he'd been to an SANFL game this season, said "no, but have enjoyed watching some games on tv, especially the Clare game".

I am not convinced that the increased exposure to the SANFL via commercial TV is even close to benefiting my club enough to outweigh the negatives that come with the new format. There is no more coverage of my SANFL club than there was before. In fact, I would say there is less. I guess we'd have to wait to see the finances from this years Annual Reports to really know.

There are other ways, including having a weekly SANFL game at Adelaide Oval, that would give the competition prestige and generate interest. The use of social media and the web is more important than paying $1,000,000 to have the game shown on Ch7 - which is essentially the only benefit the AFL clubs have bought (via sponsorship) to the competition.

The Eagles vs Sturt game at Unley Oval, with a crowd of 4000, which was directly up against both Crows and Power games on the same day told me that there is enough interest in the SANFL for it to be viable without the "assistance" of AFL clubs.

What is desperately needed is the SANFL administration to apply the spirit in which 5RPH and LifeFM have to the competition to generate interest and use the capital they should have to make it high quality for the current HD generation.

I think the SANFL would be best to cut ties with Port and the Crows at the end of the season. If Port Magpies win the SANFL premiership this year, it will be an absolute disgrace.

There are other ways to keep relevance for a younger generation of footballers and an alignment between the AFL and SANFL and that is to supply Port and Crows with top up players via Under 20's to use in whatever competition they could go to (preferably AFL Reserves or at least VFL). I believe this could apply nationally with alignment of elite Under 18 sides to all AFL and State League clubs, but that is another matter. Keep Junior Football, Development/Reserves Football and State League Football - which can all still be feeders to the AFL - separate.

For now, I reckon the SANFL bite the bullet and go it alone. The mainstream media, who all seem to be official ambassadors for the Crows (http://www.afc.com.au/the-club/information/ambassadors), will give the SANFL hell, but I'm not convinced it is the mainstream media who will ensure the SANFL survives and prospers anyway.

The SANFL will never be the number one show in town, but it has a niche, and I'd love to see the SANFL and its clubs make every post a winner NOW, while there is still strong enough links to SANFL clubs for the majority of families in South Australia.
by Aerie
Tue May 13, 2014 3:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 Tribunal News & Discussions

My gut feel, having seen it live on the day and then again on replay, was that it was probably a 3-4 week suspension, then with a good record down to 2-3 weeks. But, the Tribunal must have seen it worst than that and offered the 5 weeks. Looks like the Magpies will appeal it...

I hope the Tribunal realises their mistake and ups it to 8
by Jimmy_041
Wed May 14, 2014 9:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wedgie, you cant blame The power or The Crows, they both want whats best for their club, and if the dumb arses that gave it to them agreed to it, how can you blame them. The only thing that annoys me is when their supporters are quetioned about the unfair advantage granted to them, they argue as if there is no advantage. What drugs are they on to even deny the fact their is an enormous advantage. Power supporters should just accept that where handed a gift but why should they give it back, if it was my team I would be over the moon.
The Power went about it the smart way while the Crows lied and conived their way in and in the process severely hurt their own brand amongst the most loyal footy fans around. I cheered for them live at the 97 GF and all of the 93 finals. Never again, my most hated club in the world.
The Power on the other hand went up a couple of notches in my book and I wish them well.
Most of their supporters will always be dimwits, inbreeding will do that but they're harmless.

The Power lied and connived their way as well.

- Pulling players from SANFL clubs for finals for many years.
- Transferring "disgruntled" players to the Magpies in more recent years.
- Saying when the merger happened that it would only be off-field and the Magpies wouldn't be a Reserves side.

Then they held out for the best deal for their Reserves team and came up trumps. They let the Crows be the bad guys.

They have been doing everything right off-field in the last couple of years.

Good for them. Still gives me the shits and does no favours for the SANFL as a competition. It would have been as simple as the SANFL clubs demanding the top up list was under 21 and saying Power players weren't welcome to play for SANFL clubs if the Power chose not to go ahead with the Reserves.

The SANFL does not need the Magpies. The Power can be as strong as they like in the AFL, provided they're not a drain on SA Football. I quite enjoy watching their AFL team play.
by Aerie
Thu May 15, 2014 7:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

you can call us what ever you like. At the end of the day we are the PAFC and we don't give a crap what you think.

Well considering you don't care, here goes ...

Arsehole, faarkwit, kent, dickwad, fatherless and toothless wharfie, welfare cheat, car stealing pricks.

Oh did I forget to mention scum?
by dedja
Thu May 15, 2014 2:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=701652916515499&set=a.518972011450258.135109.125034534177343&type=1

I have just found this snippet in Hands off our SANFL on Facebook supposedly posted by Steve Summerton last year on his thoughts re Power RESERVES very interesting
It's a classic. Port magpies and now power reserves captain agreeing its a disgrace....until they paid him enough.
by sjt
Sun May 18, 2014 8:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

To Dols, booney. kikinit

This is a serious question, so don’t take it as a dig but with the following, do you see the advantage gifted to you or would you consider having the below all part and parcel
Full Time Coaches, Fitness coach touted as one of the best in the world, Dieticians, Sports Physiologists, Fitness personnel, Doctors and Physios, Massage therapist , player e welfare managers, Million dollar facilities, Million dollar Fitness Facilities, recovery facilities, Million dollar Medical Facilities.
Full Time Professional AFL players averaging around 15 players per game with a combined salary of $2-$3 million dollars
Yes the crows have all of the above and I don’t give a shit as my club doesn’t nor does 7 other SANFL clubs.
I am not whinging because The Power is on Top I dislike the crows with a passion as well for playing in a comp and having these benefits and advantages.
And the thing that pisses every one of the most is you will not acknowledge the advantage given to your team.
You were granted an AFL licence, and good onya, but don’t use the resources of being given that and think you have no advantage or been given any advantage over your opposition. Most of the other items apart from the Salary cap could be taken that the club has worked to get those advantages. But unfortunately the Salary Cap can’t be.
Even Collingwood in the AFL have advantages over the comp in terms of $, but funnily enough a new word has entered the equation Equalisation, where the AFL has said we can’t have a team with that much financial clout and off field advantages although they have the same salary cap as the rest of the comp.
So the Brains trust at the AFL has seen how having a team with more resources will destroy their comp but for some reason you can’t see how it will destroy the SANFL
by Maddawg
Sun May 18, 2014 9:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Interesting that despite Port's relative "Success" in the past 18 months they are yet to turn things around financially, where do they stand now (and the future) the SANFL are no longer bank rolling them? Here is a link, even though the 2013 Annual Report doesn't seem to be (easily found) on the PAFC website. Loss of $1.69 million, following on from a loss of $2.1 million in the 2012 Annual Report. That 2012 result was with a special grant from the SANFL of $2 million though, so it was a real trading loss of $4.1 million. (The club has a 'book' asset valuation of $5 million calculated by deducting assets from $17 million, liabilities of $12 million, but that's only 'book value' as a going concern, i.e. if you were to shut the place up and flog its assets on the market, you'd never get near $17 million.)

Financially, the dream is that Port Adelaide FC improves from being a basketcase, to a mere mediocrity (i.e. break-even or smallish losses). Or to put it another way: if it were a for-profit business on the stock exchange, its shares would be trading at about 1 cent and it could be bought for near enough to nothing by anyone willing to take on its debt. (See: the horribly starry-eyed North Melbourne FC stock market float, from the pre-Wall Street days when capitalism was going to save the world.) And yes, there are at least 6 to 8 current AFL clubs (and no doubt at least 4 or 5 SANFL clubs) you could also say that about.

Like most footy clubs forever, Port runs on commitment, belief, momentum and hope. Of course there have been a lot of wonderful things written about Adelaide Oval, and the 2014 Annual Report result should be a lot better than those that preceded it, but I doubt whether the location a club plays home games at, can change the fundamentals of its business.

The most hilarious thing about the 'Crows reserves in the SANFL' argument (among many hilarious things), was the claim, 'without the $50k per club per year fee and all of the lovely extra attention from letting the Crows play, about 5 clubs will pack up and close and the SANFL comp will be basically destroyed anyway, because look at the terrible balance-sheets these clubs have ! Newsflash: many or most footy clubs have always had balance-sheets that terrible. Ironically, the AFL was born because too many VFL clubs had sent themselves broke offering silly deals to poach stars (and just administering their business badly) by the mid-1980s, and they felt they desperately needed a cash injection to stay afloat. As the South Australians wouldn't play ball, the cashed-up West Aussies looked like an easy mark...
by SimonH
Tue May 20, 2014 5:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 8 - Central v Sturt @ Playford Alive (Sat 24/5)

Beard and crocker are good to go
by Jimmy
Tue May 20, 2014 9:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think the point is that the model they agreed to and the returns they have recieved are far apart. GIven both Adelaide and Port after only a couple of home games each have come out with alarm bells saying its nowhere near the level they expected - whilst both clubs are miles ahead of projected figures.....questions deserve to be asked. The figures projected a $8.1m uplift in revenue for the AFL clubs and this was based on:

Port season ticket sales going from 13,600 to 23,000. We currently have over 29,000 season ticket holders so 26% above projections.
Adelaide season ticket sales going from 24,700 to 27,000. They currently have (apparently) 37,000 season ticket holders so 37% above projections.
Port attendances averages 31,000. Currently averaging 43,000 so 38% above projections.
Adelaide attendances averages 42,000. Currently averaging 46,600 so 11% above projections.

How can revenue be lower than expected when all figures are currently well above projections, without the SMA changing the goal posts?

As Whicker used to say "grow the pie, grow the pie". Well both Adelaide and Port have grown the pie significantly....no point growing the pie if Whicker and Olsens shit stained fingers are gonna keep taking a bigger slice.

And here we go again, Port Adelaide pushing the blame elsewhere, just like previous issues like -

"SANFL forced us to keep the Magpies and move them to Ethelton"
"SANFL screwed us on the Footy Park stadium deal"

You agreed to it FFS!!!! You signed on the bottom line!!!!

Projections are exactly that, projections, no guarantees. If you wanted guarantees on what you would get from the new stadium then negotiate a fixed return.

Its like signing a contract to a variable rate loan and whinging when the rates go up.

Port Adelaide = world champion whingers...always some one else fault
by Dutchy
Wed May 21, 2014 4:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Great response to a PAFC suppporters comment on Wazza Partlands article on Adelaide Now

Grant 17 hours ago
So the Centrals' victories of 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 don't count because professional AFL players, including those from the Port Adelaide Football Club, were part of those teams?

I think you and some other posters are using flawed logic in singling out Central District for their success.

As a SANFL supporter of forty five years i will enlighten you with some facts.

With the invent of the Crows in 1990 and later the Power in 1997 all the nine SANFL teams were allocated AFL players.

So in this period from 1990 to 2013 all clubs benefitted and the following clubs had the good fortune and know how to win premierships

Central District 9
PAFC MAGPIES 7
Norwood 3
Eagles 3
Sturt 1
North Adelaide

So correct me if i am wrong it used to be a LEVEL playing field with all the nine SANFL clubs playing under the same rules and regulations.

However here we are in 2014 where we have a compromised SANFL competition where two teams are operating under different guidelines and rules a total farce.

Two multi million dollar franchises with million dollar salary caps with RESERVES teams full of AFL registered players.

Eight SANFL clubs each with a $300,000 salary cap and NO AFL players.
by Apachebulldog
Wed May 21, 2014 5:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

(uplift was based on an expected crowd figure)

so whats wrong? was the crowd figure off? i thought pretty much every game so far had been a sellout? cant possibly get more of a crowd than that. if the income generated by those crowds isnt as high as expected, then someone at the club didnt do their due diligence on the numbers provided to them surely? and if it is because the games are a sellout but members arent turning up to watch, isnt that the clubs problem? and hasnt that problem existed here in adelaide since the crows inception nearly 25 years ago?

In which case this thread should be closed and everyone should just shut up and deal with it.

difference is the sanfl has the power to correct the situation. they can vote the afl reserves sides out for the beginning of the 2016 season (not that i think they will, but hey, i can dream)

wish i could complain to my landlord "i am not earning as much as i expected i would this year, lower my rent please...." and expect it to actually work :roll:

The AFL clubs could only do calculations on costs that where given to them. The big issue especially for port was their figures where generated on a lot lower crowd figures then what we have gotten so far, so they should be generating more income then projected but they aren't. It's like your landlord saying you have to pay for this and that which totals $1,000 but then when it actually happens he hits you with $5,000.
Now I get it. So it's a bit like the AFL promising 5,000 fans but when it happens they hit you with less than 1,000 fans.
by johntheclaret
Thu May 22, 2014 5:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just emailed this to Chris Davies.

Hi Chris,

I know your job is to sell the concept of the two reserves teams being a meaningful part of the SANFL but for a vast majority of SANFL supporters you are fighting a losing battle, to put it mildly and politely. Enough has been written about the destruction of integrity, the insurmountable distortions of having three different sets of rules for the teams that it doesn't need repeating here.

This season was always going to go Ok, ok being the operative word here, your employers couldn't afford it not to. However it claim crowds are up doesn't help your cause especially when it's such a risibly small number and bolstered by one off events like Walker playing for the Ravens on a long weekend.

What's more concerning are membership numbers and the crowds at games between the eight remaining SANFL teams, across the board they are down. You may point to TV figures but given our massive investment in the coverage you'd be concerned if they hadn't improved. And this investment came at a time we were told without the two AFL teams financial armageddon would engulf the remaining teams.

What's missing in all of this is the long term view, after you, John and the rest of the Commission have long departed. How you expect the eight clubs to attract members after five or ten years of having two afl clubs sucking up every kid, dollar and inch of media attention is beyond me.

The challenge for the decision makers at the SANFL over the last few years has been to subtly reposition the competition as a community based, affordable alternative to the AFL. The example of Phil Herden at The Eagles should have been your template for community engagement and involvement. Instead you, and Leigh and John, chose to take the easy option of shoehorning two teams who have destroyed the integrity and meaning of the SANFL into the competition. By doing so you have destroyed any chance of the SANFL being a meaningful, relevant sporting competition not only today but into the future.

Enjoy your nice seat and Rockford's Basket Press tonight.

Sincerely,
by topsywaldron
Sat May 24, 2014 2:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 11 - West v Port @ City Mazda Stadium (Sun 22/6)

drifter wrote:So everyone thinking that Port would be unbeatable, perhaps might have to rethink that. Things we're always going to even up a little once they got some injuries.

Try telling that to the teams that were smashed a few weeks ago
by johntheclaret
Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Heard Keith Thomas on 891 on Saturday, he said that 'Port Magpies don't want any advantages in the SANFL as it would diminish any achievements that they earned.' Not sure what he deems to be advantages or not.
He went on to say that Port will be affected next year by losing their juniors and zones. (I'm guessing that he deems this to be enough of a disadvantage to even out the $3m that they are breaking the salary cap by each week and having full time players)
He then went on to say just how important it was for the AFL to get equalisation right to make the comp fair and even for clubs struggling off the field.
So on one hand PAFC don't want any advantages over true SANFL clubs (but are sure as hell willing to take them and argue for them) and quite happy to accept a blatantly unfair competition, yet on the other they're demanding equalisation and fairness in the AFL.
The hypocrisy was laughable as was his stuttering delivery of the nonsense he was trying to push. One can only assume he's smart enough not to believe his own bull$hit.

Coming from a man who sat on a board that approved a lucrative consultancy for one Keith Thomas I'm not sure we can expect much in the way of honesty from him.

Great player mind you.
by topsywaldron
Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sturt taking the piss?

LPH wrote:Perhaps they could adopt this logo next year, modified with a fist stabbing a lightning bolt through the heart of the Magpie?

The fist should be embedded up the arse of the magpie, like a glove puppet. That's what the Magpies are now.
by Pseudo
Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SANFL clubs never voted on the rules regarding Port's team, they were presented as a fair accompli by the completely excellent Commission after the yes vote to admit the Crowtards.
by topsywaldron
Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

@Rising Power

You are exactly right. Anyone who thought these changes would not eventually happen was absolutely kidding themselves. Adelaide and Port Adelaide were always eventually going to enter teams in to the SANFL, as has happened in other states. It was not a matter of if, but when. Contrary to the sooking, paranoia, predictions of the sky falling in, conspiracy theories etc from some, the SANFL lives on and we now look forward to a great run to this year's finals, with nine teams still with a chance of playing finals. The best evidence that the no AFL case is out of steam is the increase in conspiracy theories around here lately, including talk of deliberately inflated crowds and money being put in people's pockets to only promote certain viewpoints. I mean seriously, how dare the media cater for the majority of South Australian Football fans who happen to support Adelaide or Port Adelaide, what a crazy idea that is!

I definitely know of one instance when the AFL told a radio station not to let callers to air that wanted to talk about a certain topic because it was damaging to the AFL. They just threaten the radio stations with taking away their broadcast rights.

It's the same with Crows and Power at the beginning of each season radio stations fight to have a partnership with them, which costs a lot of money. Of course the deal goes both ways and they expect favourable media.

Certainly cost a former AFL coach his radio job with a sports focused station because of his stance on several issues that the AFL didn't like....
by heater31
Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I mean seriously, how dare the media cater for the majority of South Australian Football fans who happen to support Adelaide or Port Adelaide, what a crazy idea that is!

Any chance the "majority of SA Football fans" could turn up to support their team? That's what they all wanted remember?

While I expected things to pan out the way they have, if these glorified trial games were at least giving the SANFL good 4k average crowds (as promised) with good atmosphere, providing non SANFL people a good day out and reasons to return as well as making $ to the established clubs, then I could be turned to support, in a small way, the new era of SANFL.

However this has not happened, the product is worse, the crowds are worse, the clubs cannot be financially better off (reporting time at the end of the year will be very interesting) and the league has lost a lot of core fans who have now found something else to do on the weekends.

The clubs/administrators thought they spent some time on this in 2013, I imagine this years off season will be worse, trying to unravel the mistakes, if it is retrievable.
by Dutchy
Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 12 - Norwood v Central District - Post Game

We were ordinary but dont tell me umpires cant influence a game.
by FRED
Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 12 - Sturt v Port - POST GAME Discussion

Appeared on TV that Port were on the good end of the worst 10 umpiring decisions of the day. Thought they were very stiff from that point of view.
by SANFLnut
Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I did start writing this in the Sturt vs Port thread, but quickly realised it was a big whinge...

Another game decided by the ridiculous advantages Port have been given with the top ups. How can Nathan Krakouer be allowed to play as a top up. Age 26, 2 AFL clubs, not a Port junior.

Sturt did well. I was hoping for a win for them. Unfortunately it is looking more and more likely that the Power Reserves will be one of the Grand Finalists this year. You could have hid the mess under the carpet, for this season at least, if Port and Adelaide were mid-table or below, but season 2014 (and beyond if they don't change it) will have a massive asterisk next to it as a wasted season because winning or losing against the AFL clubs means absolutely nothing.

This is worse than Lance Armstrong and the drugs in Le Tour de France. At least the majority of riders were on the same thing back then. This SANFL season has been recommended and ratified by the SANFL Commission and its League Directors.

I will admit I was very wrong in giving this a go and LPH, Centurion, smac, whufc and co were spot on from the start. It doesn't feel right going to the football any more.

I don't care about Channel 7. I don't care about high priced recruits. I don't care about being the 2nd best competition. I don't care about the full time staff behind the scenes. I care about a level playing field and my team competing in a competition with integrity. There is simply no integrity while AFL Reserves teams are competing in the SANFL.

I think it was premature writing the SANFL off as what it was and extremely incompetent by those who made the decision to ignore/dismiss the guiding principles when coming to the decision to allow the change.
by Aerie
Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

When you all realise the sanfl is a farm system and you'll know there was no real options to choose from. Go ask league coach's what they would prefer? This year or last year. I know they would prefer this years structure. Anyway the magpies loses their zone, under 18's and recruiting rights due to it constricts afl draft rules. It's maybe time that clubs be more professional instead going through the motions eg like North Adelaide.
This years structure of not having AFL players spread between all sides is better but a far better option would be for no AFL players to play in the SANFL
by Jim05
Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Have you seen the Magpies over the last decade or so? ;)
by topsywaldron
Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Who were Sturt's best?

Kirkwood and Beard?

Again?

You are aware that there are more former Sturt juniors on Port's AFL list than former Port juniors on Sturt's list aren't you?
How many "one club" juniors are on your AFL list? Is this number greater than, less than or equal to the number of Sturt juniors?
by SANFLnut
Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Well played North supporters

GAGF ... Gee Aren't Glenelg Faarked?
by dedja
Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Meanwhile in Perth AFL reserves teams are starting games two players short.

WAFC under siege over Peel stance

Dale Miller The West Australian July 2, 2014, 6:54 am

A core group of WAFL presidents want Peel Thunder and Fremantle threatened with sanctions to prevent AFL-listed players being held out of games at the last minute on match day.

The WA Football Commission has asked for a please explain from the Thunder and the Dockers after Kepler Bradley and Tom Sheridan did not arrive at Saturday's match against Subiaco at Medibank Stadium until midway through the second quarter.

Bradley and Sheridan had both been named as Fremantle emergencies and were late to the Peel game after being asked to warm up with teammates taking part in the western derby at Patersons Stadium. Peel subsequently started the league match with 20 players and lost by 26 points.

WAFC officials were urged to take a heavy-handed approach against similar acts at a heated council of presidents' meeting on Monday night, but the governing body stopped short of flagging sanctions.

Council chairman and West Perth president Brett Raponi said the league needed to do more than seek a verbal explanation.

"I don't think that's strong enough," he said. "I don't think it's good enough from the WA Football Commission.

"I think there needs to be some serious dialogue between the commission, Fremantle and Peel to assure the competition and its stakeholders that it won't happen again.

"It is personal and we expect the WAFC to react accordingly and address the situation."

West Perth were fined $7000 in 2012 after club figures, including coach Bill Monaghan, confronted umpires and East Perth players during a drawn derby at Arena Joondalup - a move Raponi said had proved a deterrent.

South Fremantle's Haydn Raitt said some club presidents were angry about the issue, which has fuelled tensions over the AFL alignment model.

"It makes a mockery of our competition," he said. "It's almost like it helps contrive the result."

WAFC chief operating officer Nick Sautner said the commission had sought clarification from Peel and the Dockers.

"Any challenges identified during the inaugural year of the WAFL partnering model will be assessed at the conclusion of the season in line with the WAFC's commitment to an annual review," he said.

Peel president John Ditchburn said it was a "one-off" and that the Thunder made their decision in consultation with Fremantle. He said only clubs in finals contention - who stood to lose from Subiaco's win - had voiced their disapproval.

Subiaco president Mark Lawrence said he had no issue with Peel starting the match two players short.
by arthur5038
Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Club Finances

I've certainly never thought it unreasonable for Port/Crows to want reserves sides. Can see clear advantages there (player development, development of roles, continuity of playing style, keeping the group together etc). Just don't like it being at the expense of the SANFL competition.
by JK
Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Even the betting agencies see thru the truth of Port Adelaide. RIP Magpies
by Dutchy
Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Retirements - 2014

CUTTERMAN wrote:Yeah, never thought Hinkley would be one to gift games, very odd. I'm sure Paul Roos has made a note of this.

I wouldn't have thought Port Adelaide would be the type of club to gift games.
by Dogwatcher
Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Retirements - 2014

CUTTERMAN wrote:Yeah, never thought Hinkley would be one to gift games, very odd. I'm sure Paul Roos has made a note of this.

I thought the same thing. Nothing against Dom or having a go at the power but if i was roos i would using it as a 'these blokes arent taking use seriously' motivational factor.
by Footy Smart
Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port 2014 - Pre-Season/General Discussion

Congrats on a great career to a great bloke. I run into Power and Crows players regularly at work and Dom is one of the guys who always says G'day. He never has that air of arrogance about him and is nice to everyone having never got carried away with his own stardom. Says a lot about the character of the bloke. One of those guys who never had shit games. he was consistent, hard at it, highly under rated and often inspirational.

I for one will miss him playing for the Power. its really easy to cheer for good blokes.
by wristwatcher
Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Someone's posted on Facebook a WA news article. One
of WA's longest serving football commissioners has "quit in disgust" at the direction of WA football, with the inclusion of the afl reserves. He's also boycotting the WA gf, for the first time in 50 years. He's described it as a farce (sounds familiar).
by sjt
Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 14 - Port v Adelaide @ Alberton Oval (Sat 26/7)

It's quite hilarious you guys laugh at a 6k crowd when a lot of clubs are happy with 2k

A crowd 6% of membership at any other SANFL game would equate to a crowd of around 300-400.
Absolutely pathetic crowd numbers.
We wont have to hold our breath to long before crowds of that nature become common in the SANFL

So how many people show up to sanfl reserves? I'm sure it isn't more than 300-400

It was a SANFL reserves game was it??
Thats where they should be playing
by daysofourlives
Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Witnessed a comical at Alberton today
A young boy cheered for Port Reserves today
On a couple of occasions he yelled out go Port Port Power
On another occasion he yelled out bury em Port Power
This is how a conversation took place between the boy and another mature aged female Port supporter[not exact but should be close enough to the facts]

" Bury em Port Power"
" Its not Port Power its Port Adelaide"
" No its Port Powers second team"
" No its Port Adelaide."
There was a bit more added about Port is or Port is not
Then the lady says
" Get stuffed" To the young boy

The adult with the boy exploded
" Hey , barrack for your team lady, but don't swear at the boy he is only 15."
She must have told the man to get stuffed as well , so the guy told her to shut up, support her team and not abuse the young boy any more
" This is a family area stupid, don't abuse the kid."

The man gave it to the Port lady
Wow!

Both the kid and lady barracking for the same team and they argued !
And to top it all off the lady was wearing her Port Power clothes and scarf !
by mal
Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I cant believe you Port guys are you really that stubborn?
The SANFL clubs are allowing you to play in their comp and these year they are looking at changing a couple of concessions to make the comp even yet you dont want a bar of it. Its this attitude that has the clubs losing patience, at a guess if there isnt changes forthcoming in the next year or two it wouldnt suprise me if the clubs went down the path of evicting you from the comp.
At the end of the day all most supporters want is a fair and even comp where they feel they have a chance of being competitive, at the moment Port has that many leg ups its not funny.
Perhaps excluding AFL reserves sides from finals had some merit after all
by Red Rocket
Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |