Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Booney wrote:So close....

made it!!

by am Bays
Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Elim. Final - Norwood v Central @ Adelaide Oval (Sun 6/9

Jim05 wrote:And ive seen enough, most probably my last ever SANFL game. Time to head home

What, your team's losing and your winning era appears to be over and you wanna quit?

Soft much??
by am Bays
Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Qualif. Final - Port v West @ Adelaide Oval (Sun 6/9)

Four of us on the fence, in one of the aisles, about 60 metres out north-eastern end.
Crowd thinly smattered around, none within five or 10 rows of us, so most elevated and under the cover.
Apparently we were blocking the view.

I looked back up about 10 minutes after we'd been asked to sit down and there were security guards at the top of the aisles, watching.

Lighten up. I get why we are treated like cattle at AFL games - the sheer crowd size requires it. This sized crowd?
I also noticed the Norwood cheer squad in the south eastern quarter were seemingly told to do the same - but they actually seemed to have 'minders' standing near them for a while (unless that was some other folk wearing bright yellow coats).

Speaking of fashion, anyone else cop that person dressed in the fluoro pink top sitting in the terraces in the south-western corner during the elimination final? Man, that was bright! It was like an eclipse. On a grey day, she stood out like a beacon. Kudos to her ;)

Understandable, they saw a bunch of Centrals supporters and they weren't sure if that was a flare stuffed down your strides or that you were just happy to see them.... ;)
by am Bays
Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Preliminary Final - Centrals v West

This makes me sick!! We come from 5th last year and run into Port in a Prelim while Centrals get a normal SANFL side that the Panthers beat by 6 goals a few weeks ago. **** the SANFL

Umm, so the team/club you couldn't beat on Prelim final day last year but they did on 1st Semi Final Day (coming from 5th) this year makes you sick how??

:shock: :shock:
by am Bays
Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Preliminary Final - Centrals v West

Sport is great

You perform on the day or else you wear the consequences. Only thing that counts is results not excuses.

The two best structured and communicative/demanding of themselves sides to play off in next weeks GF

Dogs and Eagles
by am Bays
Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Funny things kids say and do

My daughter was in her carseat (aged about 3) as we cruised up and down the Yorke Peninsula whilst looking for a block of land to build upon.

We were coming back from a fairly long trip and she'd just woken up. She looked out her window and without missing a beat said "geez, there's a f***load of water out there".

Fantastic. Monkey see/hear, monkey do.

Yup

Miss 10 when she was Miss four came out with this pearler

The missus was driving and soemthing happened to make her say "Oh Shit"

The sound of tittering from the back seat, so the missus says, "Sorry kids, Mummy shouldn't say that"

Miss Then-four goes, "Yeah F*** is better!"

I found it hard to keep a straight face when I was told later likewise "her-indoors" when Miss Then-four came out with her words of wisdom!,
by am Bays
Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you rate!

Genuine Good blokes in footy getting rewarded - Mark Mickan
by am Bays
Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

wristwatcher wrote:Thanks mate, much appreciated. Amazing times except the 2am feed, not a huge fan of that and the associated shenanigans

I was all over helping feed for the first born

2nd Sprog, F*** this, One of us can get some sleep!!!

Maybe that's why the opportunities for a third have been limited....
by am Bays
Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mr September

To believe that Sturt or any other SANFL club would have been competitive against serious VFL clubs in a real competition (not 'carnival' type games) prior to 1990 is a tad niaive IMO. But that's for another thread.

I'll take the bait

if you think the Port side of 1980, the Sturt side of the late 60s, North of the early 70s, Westies of 83 and the Bays of 85 wouldn't have been competietive agaisnt VFL sides of their respective era's you are vey much mistaken.

This is based on the players who played in those sides (particularly Port of 1980 and Glenelg of 85) who then went to the VFl and AFL and had better careers than most.

Similarly South Fremantle's side of 1980 would have been more than competieitve as well when you think it had the likes of Stephen Michael, Brad Hardie and Maurice Rioli running around

I'm confident they would've played finals, Yes the best sides of the VFL were better than the best sides of the SANFL and WANFL (as it was known back then) but our better sides would have beaten their worst sides and would have finsished any where from eight to fourth.

This is not just my opinion this is the opinion of someone who went from North Adelaide in the early 80s and then over to Saint Kilda to play and was shocked at how the poor the skill of some of the players were and how un-professional they were.

So yes Rick Davies is more than eligible for the title Mr September
by am Bays
Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australia v NZ - Test Series

whufc wrote:Got to admit it's probably the most uninspiring australian cricket team to watch in my lifetime

Wood, Darling, Hughes, Yallop, Toohey, McLean, Laughlin, Hogg, Hurst, Higgs, Yardley
by am Bays
Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Player Movements - 2015 / 2016

Dogwatcher wrote:Would Matthew Golding come out of retirement?

Doubt it, but Lucas Herbet might.....
by am Bays
Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fox Footy- History Month

In the 80s week I would've liked them to source vision from the SANFL and WANFL.

I get that by the 90s the gulf between the AFL and the state leagues was too great but in the 80s, particualrly up until 85, the difference between the VFL and SANFL and WANFL wasn't as big.

Some of the WANFL games in the early 80s were rippers

Steven Michael, Rioli's, Vigonas, Hardie, Moss, Narkle, Krakours, Gibbsy at West Perth....
by am Bays
Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fox Footy- History Month

Wouldn't have been any feedback to the coaching group after the leadership group called an honesty session. Imagine inviting Monkey to one of those? :lol:

Ha, the poor bloke that got to tell Monkey that his skin folds were too high must have been shitting himself.

Monkey: Wadda ya mean my skin folds are too high, of course they are, I'm taller than youse
by am Bays
Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cricket All-Stars T20 series

Murali was right at home at the Mets home ground, on the pitching mound......
by am Bays
Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mitch Johnson retires at the end of the WACA Test

And in totally unrelated news, Jonathon Trott has announced he wants to make himself available for test matches again....
by am Bays
Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sheffield Shield Season 2015/2016

Who else is joining me at the Bay for the Shield final in March?
by am Bays
Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

Summer really doesn't begin until the Summer Solstice around the 21st/22nd December.

Summer Solstice (AEDT)
2014 December 22, 10:03
2015 December 22, 15:48
2016 December 21, 21:44

sun_in_summer.jpg

On the day of Summer Solstice, the Earth’s south pole is tilted towards the Sun. The Sun rises south of east, sets south of west and reaches 75 1/2° above the horizon at noon. This is, usually, the longest day of the year.

Thank you, I can now sleep tonight ;)
Especially when he overnight temperature is forecast to be 10 Deg

Where are those balmy mid to high 20s summer nights....
by am Bays
Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

The Victory Hotel

Every time I go, I know why I keep going back.

Yours truly was in charge of organising our Xmas lunch this year and with the encouragement of several others I plumped for the Victory Hotel. whilst not everyone in the group was happy, it's too far, school pick ups etc, the majority won out and 17 of us headed down last friday.

Glorious day to sit outside and take in the views of the gulf, made the Victory virgins appreciate the wisdom of the majorities choice which was further enhanced by a trip to the Cellar.

I chose the special Clare valley sirloin (300 g) which was cooked perfectly as usual for $32. Washed down with two pints of West End draught and a glass of wine (from my bosses shout) and my day was complete. All up I spent $60 on my meal, side of garlic bread, two pints of the West Ends finest and a pint of beer tray slops (Coopers Pale Ale) for a colleague ;)

I had no complaints from any others and the day wound down with us all quaffing our drinks under the gum tree over looking the gulf reflecting on our year.

I mark the Victory Hotel hard because I go there so often ando the wow factor is lost on me but this was a 9/10 for me.

Have already booked in a post Xmas meal there for two family members who are Victory Virgins.

Always a pleasure to enjoy the hospitality of Doug and his sidekicks Matt's fine establishment!
by am Bays
Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Footy Chick wrote:i do have windows 10. it was working really well for me with firefox until I did this update.

Do you have the computer plugged in and turned on.....

(runs and hides)
by am Bays
Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015/16 Big Bash League

So the Women's BBL free to air braodcast out rated the free to air broadcast of that other sport for girls - soccer (A-League)

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/womens-big-bash-league-hits-footballs-aleague-out-of-park-in-television-ratings-20151221-glsog1.html

I rate that and it makes me laugh!
by am Bays
Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you rate!

Little Miss skulls the 2am feed, burps first crack with a little spew caught by the bib, happy nappy change with no poo present and back wrapped and looking like falling asleep all in 20 minutes.

Took 8 minutes off my PB and didn't get covered in piss, shit or spew. Magical moments indeed 8)

I probably will be up till 6am trying to get back to sleep but none the less really rate a good and successful 2am feed

How's them cracked nipples???
by am Bays
Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: South Africa v England

Can you make an argument for Broad being the best/most valuable cricketer in the world right now?

56 wickets at 23 economy rate of under 3 done it in in the middle east, home and on the Veldt

353 runs averaging 20 but a strike rate of almost 70 (6th best of the top 50 batsmen in 2015 after Warner, Taylor McCullum, Khwaja and Ahmed)

but it's his hustle and bustle in your face play that I like. He makes things happen which you can't get a stat on.

Good player and plays the game in the right way too, never giving a sucker an even break.
by am Bays
Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you laugh

Reading The Keepers, Malcolm Knox's new book over the last few days after getting it a week ago.

Steve Rixons account of the 1984-85 Sydney test amtch agaisnt teh West Indies when Border won the toss and elected to bat against Marshall, Holding Garner and Walsh on a green top. The NSW players (Rixon, Dyson, Bennett and Holland) said we've got to bat last pre toss despite knowing they we're going to be in a world of pain on that deck if the Windies bowled first.

Dyson go out early and so Wood and Wessells got pummelled in the next 90 mins as the Windies got excited at the pitch and bowled too short.

Wessels has come in at lunch and just has let rip at the NSW boys calling them all F***wits and p****s and they've all just laughed at him and Rixon has told him to p!ss off, just get out there and make 150 and we'll win this!

Funnier when you read it....

Good book though. Especially like reading about the back up keepers those with sliding doors moments who could've been but never were or were only just....
by am Bays
Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Essendon 2014

But it's not Essendon's or Hirdy's fault, it is the fault of past generations of Essendon players and officials sinning and now they are being punished by God
by am Bays
Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

am Bays wrote:Will Jobe be captain next year or will his tour to Sri Lanka to watch test cricket in July/August prohibit that...

Well the good news is he can go to Sri Lanka now!!!
by am Bays
Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Nup, they aren't allowed to have anything to do with any club - including coaching
Not allowed to play competitive sport of any kind if the sport is covered by the WADA code.

That's why the AFL PA are funding them to go to the States to use the facilities over there. Some of the sports in the US aren't under WADA rules so it's all kosher for the players to train with them/use the facilities.
None of the big comps over there are under WADA rules

http://static01.nyt.com/images/2007/05/27/weekinreview/27barra_CA0.600.jpg
by am Bays
Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Aston Villa demise

Glad my M Sc supervisor Prof RT Withers from Flinders has gone to the big Exercise Physiology lab in the sky

Birmingham native, who immigrated to Adelaide in the mid 70s to take up a tenured Academic position in the school of Education at Flinders Uni. Big Bad Bobby's rooms in Social Science South were known by all as he had the clippings of Villa's 79-80 Division 1 title win posted above his door for well over 30 years.

Gave him a block mounted poster of Villa's greatest players (up to 2000) as a thank you gift when I graduated and he recited all the details of all named players and stated who should've been on it and who was lucky to be on it.

He used to have an over head projector sheet with "Aston Villa 1994 League Cup Champions" on it which he used to focus the projector for his lectures - in the pre powerpoint days.

He would be gutted seeing this.
by am Bays
Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Hawthorn 2015

MatteeG wrote:I think Hodgey may pinch hit up forward a bit too. Can kick a few.

Surely after four years on the list, it's time for Tim O'Brien to step up.

good kid
by am Bays
Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why did Michael Nunan leave Sturt?

Didn't Hardemann get injured in an end of minor round 'practice' game against North Melbourne?

Yeah think it was probably Elim/'Semi weekend when both Sturt and North Melbourne as Minor Premiers had the weekend off.

Funny how that (a "trial" between the respective SANFL and VFL minor premiers) was never repeated given both teams lost their respective GFs.....
by am Bays
Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Club Payments Crackdown

Mr Beefy wrote:
am Bays wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:
jo172 wrote:This still significantly pisses me off as well. Insanity that the A1 and A7 salary cap is the same.

Why?

It amazes me that the Amateur league is still called the "Amateur" league...

It isn't

:D ;)
by am Bays
Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Aust tour squad v NZ announced - Sayers in.

I'm going out on a limb, another one of my many big unfounded statements I've made on here over the last 10 years BUT.....

I'm calling Khawaja, "In form"
by am Bays
Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: financial projections

Harry the Horse wrote:At least we'll have a national women's team to barrack for (AWFL?) to replace our SANFL clubs once they've all gone bust.

Thought that was the A-League
by am Bays
Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Where to for Glenelg

After last night, where to for us, the FLAG!!
by am Bays
Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Songs about Australia

I'm fair dinkum - John Williamson
Boys from the Bush - Lee Kernaghan
The Outback Club - Lee Kernaghan
She's My ute - Lee Kernaghan
Raining on the Rock - John Williamson
Streets of your town - Go Betweens
Stompin Ground - Warumpi Band
Pub with no beer - Slim Dusty
Lights on the Hill - Slim Dusty
Cootamundra Wattle - John williamson
The Breaker - John Williamson
The Aussie BBQ song - Frankie Davidson

Christine Anu's version of My Island Home is banned at my place - "Down here living in the city vs Down here West of Alice Springs" give me a break - why ruin perfection Christine???
by am Bays
Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sheffield Shield Season 2015/2016

RustyCage wrote:Who is a decent opener we can bring in from another state?

Travis Dean....
by am Bays
Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port Adelaide 2016

No mate Football wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for Hawthorn.

regards,

REB

Given the first game in 1858 involved Scotch College located in the suburb of Hawthorn (just off Glenferrie Rd) and Melbourne Grammar (South Yarra Caulfield) there is a geographical argument that supports REBs statement....
by am Bays
Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Better known as...

Mr Beefy wrote:Whiskas
Sticks
Flea

Edited for accuracy....
by am Bays
Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The SANFL's most infamous incident?

Chad Cornes being abused by the Norwood spectator 24/03/2016.....
by am Bays
Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R3: South v West - Sunday 10 April @ Hickinbotham Oval

whufc wrote:Shower or two and 22 degrees.

So good weather for Noarlunga then.....
by am Bays
Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 4 discussion

Ian Downsborough > Charlie Dixon

Discuss...
by am Bays
Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you sad.

Assuming the family are OK with this being on social media

RIP Skeff, he typifies all that is good in the SANFL

Condolences to the family and friends of a good man.
by am Bays
Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R5 Live scores

Congratulations Eagles and Sturt FCs, you're no longer the most protected clubs by the SANFL Umpires Association, Crows Ressies have that mantle now, well and truly!
by am Bays
Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Anzac Day 2016

My god people, i'm not talking about excited kids, I'm talking full on screaming tanti's.
Again kids up to a certain age are going to throw tanti's at the worst possible time. Unless of course you were a perfect child who never once threw a tanti in public then we really shouldn't be judging. The amount of parent shaming that goes on these days is disgraceful. It seems as soon as child makes a noise anywhere in public the disapproving looks start. A little bit of understanding and empathy in these situations goes along way. I don't have kids but I understand that it is the hardest job on Earth and no matter how great a parent you are, you are not always going to be able to control when they cry or scream.

Yes kids through tantrums more often than not for attention or due to boredom. Yes it is hard job.

When I'll get into the parent shaming space is if they make no attempt to manage the behaviour or haven't planned for the occasion. yes the average two year old is going to find (weddings, ANZAC day ceremonies, footy, family dinners at a restuarant) boring as bat shit so brings their favourite toy(s), colouring books a small bit of lego to keep them occupied.

if the parent's are making attempts to pacify the kid(s) and mange them they 'll get nothing but empathy from me. Let the kids run around uncontrolled :evil: :evil:
by am Bays
Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Being unaware of the AFL fixturing.

Had I been aware of it, I would have driven to work this morning. In my ignorance I caught the train, and am now packed into a carriage nose-to-armpit with a horde of bogans having "19" scrawled all over their vestments.

No AFL on the https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/78/STA_logo.GIF/220px-STA_logo.GIF
by am Bays
Fri May 13, 2016 6:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 8 scores & chit chat.

Eagles had a win?
by am Bays
Sat May 14, 2016 6:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R8: Glenelg v Centrals - Saturday 14 May @ Gliderol S

The most knowledgable and passionate SANFL fans frequent that hill!
by am Bays
Mon May 16, 2016 10:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 8, mate.

With the introduction of a week's break after the home and away season finishes, why does the last round still have to be a floating fixture? It's not as if they need to protect top-8 teams from 5-6 day breaks before the 1st week of finals.
Good question...no idea. It will be interesting to see how that scenario plays out.

TV ratings

You can bet your bottom dollar that the sides that need to win to make the finals or stay in the finals will be playing on the Sunday to make those games as relevant as possible to the target of the TV corporations advertising revenue.

Wouldn't mind betting it'll be hawthorn Collingwood on the fri night, Hawthorn needing to win to make top four or stay in, two big Melbourne clubs Ch 7 would think that's special.....
by am Bays
Wed May 18, 2016 9:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Dogwatcher wrote:As a user of the Gawler line - it ain't fine.

C'mon nothing wrong with the 55 min all stops run from North Gawler station to the City (save for the racecourse stop)
by am Bays
Thu May 19, 2016 9:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |