Search found 118 matches

Return

Fan's Favourite Winners Announced - FOOT-e TIMES SA

FOOT-e TIMES SA is proud to congratulate the winners of its 2013 SANFL MEDIA POLL.

Readers were asked to vote for their FAN’S FAVOURITE over seven categories.

Most categories received over 700 votes which was up on approx. 400 in it’s inaugural run in 2012.

Favourite SANFL Media Personality

Phil Aspinall

(RPH, LifeFM, SANFL & FOOT-e TIMES SA)

Phil Aspinall’s SANFL media career began in 2008 on web forum safooty.net where his analysis and reports caught the eye of Life FM who offered him roles as a boundary rider & game reporter.

From there Phil has worked in just about every radio broadcast role possible moving into special comments and then last season regular play by play commentary for RPH Adelaide. He called his first grand final for the station earlier this month.

Like last years winner, Chris Kendall, Phil has a multi media profile within the SANFL.

In addition to game day radio Phil also hosts the RPH League Teams Show on Thursday Nights writes for FOOT-e TIMES SA and co-hosts SANFL internet show, The Recovery Session.

Phil was a clear winner with 38% of respondents giving him a vote, his closest finalists were the Gowans twins, Chris Kendall and Neil Cross.

Other Finalists (Alphabetical)

Dennis Browne

Grant Coffee

Neil Cross

Chris Gowans

James Gowans

Chris Kendall

Zac Milbank

2012 Winner

Chris Kendall

Favourite SANFL Radio Game Day Broadcaster

1197am RPH Adelaide

For the second straight season 1197am RPH Adelaide have claimed the mantle of being the favourite game day radio broadcaster for SANFL fans.

RPH has just concluded its 23rd season of broadcasting SANFL matches. It covered 50 games this season using a team of 10 commentators headed by veterans Darryl Smith & Dennis Browne.

The station picked up 46% of the vote with Life FM coming in second on 27%.

2012 Winner

1197am RPH Adelaide

Favourite SANFL Play By Play Commentator

Neil Cross (ABC1 & RPH)

ABC1’s long running host of it’s weekly SANFL telecast, Neil Cross, has been judged the Fan’s Favourite “Play By Play” Commentator.

In recent years Neil has also moved into radio, joining RPH’s Friday Night calling team.

He was a clear winner then followed by a closely bunched foursome of Chris Kendall, Phil Aspinall, John Nankivell & Dennis Browne.

Phil Aspinall (RPH, LifeFM)

Dennis Browne (RPH)

Grant Coffee (RPH)

Chris Kendall (ABC1, RPH)

John Nankivell (LifeFM, RPH)

Stephen Rowe (FIVEaa)

2012 Winner

Michael Maney (ABC1)

Favourite SANFL Special Comments Expert

Chris Gowans (ABC1)

In 2000, Chris & his twin brother James burst onto the SANFL scene and played in a key role in guiding Central to their first flag.

Now they have done the same in making the move from player to media with Chris securing the title of Fan’s Favourites SANFL Special Comments Expert in his first season working in the booth for ABC1.

As always James was not far away followed by a 3rd former Bulldog in last years winner Grant Coffee.

Brett Backwell (LifeFM)

Grant Coffee (RPH)

James Gowans (ABC1)

Rod Jamieson (891 ABC Grandstand)

Brenton Phillips (ABC1)

2012 Winner

Grant Coffee (RPH)

Favourite SANFL Support Commentator

Chris Kendall (ABC1 & RPH)

ABC 1 Boundary Rider, Chris Kendall. has won the category of Fan’s Favourite Support Commentator.

Chris was a finalist in this category last year and inaugural winner of the Fan’s Favourite Media Personality as well.

In addition to his ABC TV duties Chris is also a radio commentator on RPH and the SANFL writer for Sportsbeat.

He was a finalist in all these categories this year.

Don Cooper (LifeFM)

Ben Knights (ABC1)

2012 Winner

Favourite SANFL Non Game Day Program

SANFL League Team Show
(RPH Adelaide, Thursday Nights)
Grant Coffee, Phil Aspinall & John Nankivell

Now having just finished it’s 16th season, RPH Adelaide’s SANFL League Teams Show has defended it’s title was last year as the Fan’s Favourite

Hosted by Grant Coffee, Phil Aspinall & John Nankivell the 60 minute show each Thursday night crams in at least 4 interviews with players, coaches and officials from the SANFL.

This year the League Teams Show faced a tough battle from new sanfl.com web show “The Recovery Session” which also polled well.

Sat Morning SANFL Segment (891 ABC Adelaide)

Sun Evening SANFL Show (FIVEaa)

The Recovery Session (sanfl.com.au)

2012 Winner

SANFL League Teams Show (RPH)

Favourite SANFL Writer

Zac Milbank (SANFL)

The SANFL’s Manager of Media & Publications, Zac Milbank, has won this years award as the Fan’s Favourite SANFL Writer.

Zac took on the new role at the SANFL earlier this year and has been responsible for a huge range of written and video content on the leagues web site.

He was a runaway winner from the wide field of 15 writers receiving a voted from over 45% of respondents. He was followed by the Local Footy SA tandem of Warren Partland and Jai Bednall.

Phil Aspinall (FOOT-e TIMES SA)

Jai Bednall (Local Footy SA)

Chris Kendall (Sportsbeat)

Robert Laidllaw (Football Budget)

Warren Partland (Local Footy SA)

2012 Winner

Jai Bednall (Local Footy SA)
by PhilH
Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Norwood Senior Coach for 2014

Old Blue New Tiger wrote:Doesn't change my opinion of the blokes , I am sure I am entitled to that ?

If you haven't met the bloke then you aren't entitled to say he is up himself! Quality person, footballer and leader!
by PK12
Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Channel 7 announced by SANFL as preferred telecast partn

Given the Crows really aren't a club to call the people who attend their games 'fans' is probably incorrect

i believe the correct term for people who attend Crows games is 'Marketing Opportunities'.
by topsywaldron
Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Crows Reserves 2014

Towards the mid to late '80's the VFL clubs were going broke from overspending and mismanagement (sound familiar?) so were screaming for a solution, ultimately called expansion. Following Brisbane and WC, the VFL made overture after overture to convince the SA "old boys club" to join. Hell they even renamed the comp the AFL as a final olive branch but the answer remained no. This from a football commission that had delivered such insular, well thought out strategies like the Player Retention Scheme, giving a high value Superannuation to a bunch of footballers that were never going to leave anyway.

The SA Football Commission acts in 3 ways; no decision, handballed decision, or cr@p decision. And you wonder why I have ZERO time for them?

Pop quiz!

You're in charge of a near-bankrupt state football league looking to expand into other states in a bald-faced attempt to resurrect your league at the expense of the sport in every other corner of the nation. One of the major state leagues is steadfastly refusing your demands, costing you a mountain of advertising revenue as it prevents your "product" (as you now call the game) reaching a national audience. What will you do?

A) relent on the four(?) million dollar "license fee", which was only ever a means to extort further money out of the Croweaters to further bolster your coffers, or

B) drop the "V" from the league name.

Come on beeny, you've got a 50% chance, have a crack...
by Pseudo
Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Forced transfers

Nice way to change the subject. Yeah our club might be crap but the Crows are crap too.

Could just imagine Port supporters at the doctor.

Dr: You're fat
Port Supporter: Yeah but my neighbour is fat too so it doesn't matter
Dr: * face palm *
by Wedgie
Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wait, it's not ok for a club or league to think about it's own best interests? Isn't that what we are all asking to happen? For the SANFL to put themselves before the integrity of the AFL? Why is it one group shouldn't put themselves first and the others should? AFL clubs have done absolutely nothing wrong. Their officials are doing exactly what they should in getting the best they can for their club. I just wish the SANFL directors who voted yes did the same thing.

The Crows stood over the SANFL with veiled threats of withdrawing/limiting financial support and media interest. The Crows mouthpiece lied to the directors ("the vote must be unanimous for it to work"). And this is "absolutely nothing wrong"?

Reckon I'll teach my kid to extort lunch money from his classmates by making physical threats against their welfare. Clearly there is "absolutely nothing wrong" with this; if the other kids give up their lunch money then it's entirely their fault - they could have said no!

There is a nontrivial difference between rational self-interest and blind selfishness. The AFL clubs have pissed in the bed that they wish to sleep in; they might be acting in their own best interests, but without any consideration of the big picture or any long-term vision.
by Pseudo
Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Booney wrote:Yet the new untried system, in Simons view, doesn't seem to have any benefits. Untried, I stress.

With the restrictions placed on the Crows and power, and rightly so, they won't be able to get potential afl players into there reserve teams.
by The Sleeping Giant
Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Crows Disgrace

I've heard it's Kurt Tippetts fault
by woodublieve12
Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Everybody in Adelaide please count yourselves lucky that you are able to get telecasts of the games. As I live in Sydney, I used to look forward to the replay of the ABC match of the day at 2.00am on a Wednesday morning. Alas now that Channel 7 have the rights to the telecasts, there will be no match replay at all to Sydney (and interstate) viewers. I rang them this afternoon and was told that they can only show one game and it has to be only in South Australia. :( :( Needless to say, I am not very happy about this and have rung the SANFL to complain about this. I will be interested to know if I get a reply!! It seems that the only way I will know the result, is if I listen to the radio broadcasts through the streaming stations!!
by Sandy
Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 1 - Norwood v Port Adelaide @ Coopers (Thur N 3/4)

It's worth noting that while Norwood only have eight of last year's premiership side playing - they do have only four debutants. Says much for their depth over the past couple of years.

Also says a lot about Bassett's ability to turn average footballers into excellent team contributors.
Certainly made the best of what he had, pretty hard to rattle well drilled sides where everyone has the confidence to work to task within their own limitations .
by StrayDog
Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Everybody in Adelaide please count yourselves lucky that you are able to get telecasts of the games. As I live in Sydney, I used to look forward to the replay of the ABC match of the day at 2.00am on a Wednesday morning. Alas now that Channel 7 have the rights to the telecasts, there will be no match replay at all to Sydney (and interstate) viewers. I rang them this afternoon and was told that they can only show one game and it has to be only in South Australia. :( :( Needless to say, I am not very happy about this and have rung the SANFL to complain about this. I will be interested to know if I get a reply!! It seems that the only way I will know the result, is if I listen to the radio broadcasts through the streaming stations!!

For those of you hard of reading, I'll write it again. The ABC didn't want to do it any more.

Simply put, NO CHANNEL 7, NO FOOTBALL TELECAST!!

Do you know that for sure? They are still broadcasting the WAFL this season.
by Hazydog
Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Good to see the SANFL on the 7Plus app quite predominate to watch in catch up.
by Wedgie
Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 2 - Port Reserves v Glenelg Post Match

Love how people can simultaneously argue that the comp is a farce both because the reserves sides are too bad AND too good.

It is actually quite logical and one of the main points I kept arguing last year. The farce comes from the VARIANCE in performances from the AFL reserves teams. There will almost certainly be weeks when they lose by 20 goals and weeks when they will win by 20 goals, all hugely dependent on
- their injury lists
- their desire to play to win (which will depend on what suits their AFL masters from week to week)

Sorry but why is this any difference to any other club? If AFL Port have a 15 man injury list this year then the Magpies will probably get very well beaten. But, if the Magpies in any of the past 20 years had a 15 man injury list, then they would have been very well beaten as well. Any team that will be forced to put half their reserves team into the league side due to injury is going to cop probably big losses.
I'm very surprised you don't understand this as you seem to be a logical poster :)

For every player in Port's AFL team that gets injured/suspended/retires etc., the best Port Magpies player is replaced in the Magpies team by someone who was deemed not up to SANFL League standard the previous week. So not only is it your own SANFL League team's injuries that affect you, it is another team where you lose your best (and next best etc.) player for every injury they suffer. If you look at SANFL Reserves you see a similar effect where teams' fortunes often fluctuate greatly over a season due to League injuries, and it is much more than a doubling effect due to the "lose your best player for every AFL injury" situation.

I know I repeated myself a bit there but I am surprised that there are still regular posters on here who don't understand this after it has been mentioned many times previously in all the debate last year.
by Ecky
Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Reserves. The Pros and Cons:

Devil's advocate; if the Crows and Port pissed off to the VFL/some other AFL Reserves competition what effect would it have on the SANFL?

I suspect that media coverage/channel 7 etc. would be even less for the league as a whole than it is now.

I get the feeling this may be like pandora's box, now that it's been opened it can't be closed
by jo172
Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Future of the SANFL

I think the decision to have AFL reserves comp could be pushed along by the AFL players association.

In the last few years we have seen the AFLPA get their requests for Free Agency and an Extra Bye during the season. I think they now realise that without them the AFL has nothing so if the AFLPA want a reserves comp it will happen.
by Panther Pack
Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

AFL in the SANFL discussion/debate

After some debate with Admin/Mods and feedback from Members it has been decided to leave the Match preview/review threads for discussion about the match only, any debate about the AFL reserves teams can continue happily in the threads already running.

Any posts from now on that do not relate directly to the match will be considered off topic and deleted.

Hopefully this will stop every thread having this debate, while a worthy topic there needs to be some balance.

Thanks
by Dutchy
Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

End of the 1st Qtr

With a shortened season, we are now a quarter of the way through.

Port Reserves looking like they might run away with it due to their unrealistic advantage. They are a able to draw on their AFL stars whilst topping up with experience, hardened SANFL players. People may well talk about how the Reserve Clubs will be affected as injuries mount to their respective AFL sides but in Port's case it seems they have this covered by the level of SANFL players retained on their list. This year might be a learning curve for the SANFL committee who, hopefully, will address the balance next year. Forecast finish 1st

Adelaide Crows Reserves are pretty much where most people expected them to be. Whilst they can be competitive as the win two week's ago proved, they won't dominate the league in the same way that Port will do this year. They also have the disadvantage of the quality of stock available when injuries mount in their AFL side. You would expect Adelaide to finish in the bottom 3 which will be perfectly acceptable for a development squad. Forecast finish 9th

Of the two "no voters" South is doing rather well and outperformed most peoples expectations including I suspect, many South supporters.
Eddy for the Panthers has been a revelation this year and his goals have been instrumental in their success. The whole club seems to have lifted and got behind a relatively unknown and unproven coach. Free flowing and the ability to kick goals in abundance should see South there or there abouts come season end. Their big problem, just like every other club in the league, will be how they fair when the injuries pile up. This week saw them lose 3 to injury. Having to play with a depleted bench for more than half a game is tough for any team. The fact that South came back to snatch the lead again before succumbing to a couple of late goals show the determination they this year, when in the same circumstances in previous years would have seen them roll over and lose by a much bigger margin. Forecast finish 4th

Centrals haven't recovered from the loss of the Gowan twins along with some other inspirational players and their new recruits don't appear to have the same drive and determine as the old guard which has turned attention onto their coach Roy Laird. Laird has been a fantastic coach for Centrals making him one of the most successful coaches in SANFL history and the dominance of the Centals side through the noughties was record breaking. To sustain that level of dominance year after year is impossible. Ask Man Utd. Centrals had a group of players that stood out from the rest, not just a couple of great players like most clubs have but a team of great players. There was always going to be a time when these great players retired or moved on and Centrals were never going to be able to replace them. It's a rebuilding time for the Dogs which might take a few years and maybe a new Coach, but to panic now and remove mid season would be a mistake. Forecast finish 8th

Woodville West Torrens hVe been there or thereabouts for a few years now, often the bridesmaid and it looks like they will miss out again this year. Wundke, Ainger and Grocke provide a potent forward line up as proved this week with 8 goal between them and at full strength the Eagles will be difficult to beat. They have a settled squad and have made some good acquisitions this year to strengthen that squad. It's hard to see anyone other than Port from denying then top spot . Forecast finish 2nd

Premiers Norwood are proving disappointing this year and whilst Redleg fans might point to the fact they suffered heavy losses of stock during the closed season, I might be fair to say that the new recruits don't understand or aren't skilled enough to execute the Norwood gameplan. Couple this to a very inexperienced coach who is trying to carry on the same strategy that worked so well for two seasons under Bassett and you seem to end up with a mix that is no longer stopping sides from scoring and not scoring big themselves. It is possible that playing a gameplan and coaching a gameplan are not necessarily complimentary. Forecast finish 5th

Sturt are another that has surprised many so far. They were expected to struggle more this year than last after losing so many back to their club in the Crows. They did however recruit very well, particularly from Port Adelaide and are playing some very attractive footy. Hard at the ball and the man, they are also very quick at moving the ball forward. When they have the ball they create spare men to give it to and when they don't have the ball they are very aggressive at closing the opposition down and winning it back. A traditional SANFL approach that has somewhat been lost over the years, and importantly, they play and look like a team. Forecast finish 3rd

Glenelg were a bit of an enigma. Made some big signings and looked like they meant business. After last season they had to do something about strengthening the squad but to many Bays fans the problems at the club ran deeper than the lack of skill on the oval. Apart from one upset, there doesn't appear to be enough changes in the mentality st the club for them to pull away from the foot of the table. With the likes of big Clint Alleway they have the capacity to kick a big score but many would also question whether players like Alleway, in the twilight of their career have the stamina and the desire to perform at SANFL level. The other problem for Glenelg is that their Spoon rivals in both South and Sturt have significantly improved this year. Forecast finish 10th

Westies started the season with confidence. They had a new coach and looked like they were building on what they had achieved over the last two seasons. Injuries have hurt them and it is hard to see where they will be come the final day. What does seem to be disappointing, not only to most watchers from other clubs but to a growing number of their own fans, is that the gamplan seems be to be the same flooding defensive approach. Still came back this week and kicked a hatful of goals and maybe with a few others coming in West may develop a more attacking style. Four straight loses at the beginning of a 20 game season might have left them with a gap to far to have an impact on the finals this year. Forecast finish 7th

North just beggar to deceive. One week irrepressible, the next week a basket case. Personally I am not convinced about the coach yet. He was from Port yet Strurt seem to get the best named recruits. We have been flattered by the scoreboard more than once this year Sturt being the latest and we don't fight enough we we are in possession. Injuries are racking up forcing North to play inexperienced youngsters which have made an impact on the performances but the big worry is the reaction from the experienced players out there. Our skill levels, which have been a bit up and down fro years, seemed to have dropped as does our kicking and decision making. still in the five just, but North Re likely to be one of a bunch who will fight it out for 5th place. Forecast finish 6th

One thing has stood out as a big positive this year in that all 8 SANFL clubs are competing on a level playing field without the advantage or disadvantage of the influence AFL listed players had in previous years. Unfortunately there seems to be far more negatives with the current situation which will need to be addressed for next season if the SANFL are to have any chAnce of surviving.
by johntheclaret
Sun May 04, 2014 9:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Regarding the 'SANFL Showdown' yesterday, the SANFL used to be something footy people could watch that didn't involve the AFL.

There are nine AFL matches every week, with a TV channel 24/7 devoted to the AFL, and pages in the paper everyday on the AFL. Few would argue that there is an AFL saturation.

I've never been completely interested in the AFL, but at least until this season it was discreet enough not to pitch its talons into the SANFL. Until this season.

An attraction for many people to the SANFL was the fact that it wasn't the AFL - it was a point of difference.

The invasion of the AFL into the SANFL thus eliminates the point of difference. As if there wasn't enough AFL on the screen already, you can now sit down, turn on the TV to see the SANFL and end up with the Crows and the Power. Really it beggars belief that it can permeate that far.

It really is amazing how much AFL people want to see, and that they can't realize that some people liked the SANFL because it didn't involve it. It's hard to put into words how baffling it is that the people who are meant to be the custodians of the South Australian game actually thought that it was a good idea to extend the AFL saturation even further and get rid of this point of difference.

I simply can't fathom the joy certain Crows and Power fans have at seeing reserves teams in the SANFL.

Watching part of the match yesterday, I thought, if the 40,000 pieces of silver a year keep the league going, then great, but really, what is the point? What is the point of the SANFL continuing if the match of the round is Crows v Power? Why not just can it and show re-runs of the real Showdown if people love the AFL teams that much.

In brief, if the SANFL is now all about AFL team v AFL team, what is the &%$#ing point?

Vent over. Cheers,

RB.
by RB
Mon May 05, 2014 11:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 6 - South Adelaide v Norwood - POST MATCH

Only need to win the one that matters.
by RB
Mon May 12, 2014 5:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 Tribunal News & Discussions

Wow, thats shocking. Didnt think it deserved anywhere near that
by Jim05
Tue May 13, 2014 7:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 7 - Norwood v Adelaide @ Coopers Stadium (Fri N 16

Anyway back to the game, I think this will be a stronger Adelaide team than last week. Although I dont rate Reilly or Petrenko at AFL level at SANFL level I reckon they will be good inclusions. Also add to the fact that Grigg is back due to Adelaide being spastic at developing the young players.
by stan
Thu May 15, 2014 1:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 7 - Norwood v Adelaide @ Coopers Stadium (Fri N 16

Adelaide did not put in after half time at all. Seemed quite deliberate. Bruise free. If they were serious, Siggins would not have started on Newton let alone finish on him. A passionless game.
by DOC
Sat May 17, 2014 1:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

To Dols, booney. kikinit

This is a serious question, so don’t take it as a dig but with the following, do you see the advantage gifted to you or would you consider having the below all part and parcel
Full Time Coaches, Fitness coach touted as one of the best in the world, Dieticians, Sports Physiologists, Fitness personnel, Doctors and Physios, Massage therapist , player e welfare managers, Million dollar facilities, Million dollar Fitness Facilities, recovery facilities, Million dollar Medical Facilities.
Full Time Professional AFL players averaging around 15 players per game with a combined salary of $2-$3 million dollars
Yes the crows have all of the above and I don’t give a shit as my club doesn’t nor does 7 other SANFL clubs.
I am not whinging because The Power is on Top I dislike the crows with a passion as well for playing in a comp and having these benefits and advantages.
And the thing that pisses every one of the most is you will not acknowledge the advantage given to your team.
You were granted an AFL licence, and good onya, but don’t use the resources of being given that and think you have no advantage or been given any advantage over your opposition. Most of the other items apart from the Salary cap could be taken that the club has worked to get those advantages. But unfortunately the Salary Cap can’t be.
Even Collingwood in the AFL have advantages over the comp in terms of $, but funnily enough a new word has entered the equation Equalisation, where the AFL has said we can’t have a team with that much financial clout and off field advantages although they have the same salary cap as the rest of the comp.
So the Brains trust at the AFL has seen how having a team with more resources will destroy their comp but for some reason you can’t see how it will destroy the SANFL
by Maddawg
Sun May 18, 2014 9:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Great article from Warren Partland in today's paper...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/quit-the-charade-magpies-are-dead-writes-warren-partland/story-fnii05e5-1226922482960

Quit the charade, Magpies are dead...

THE Port Adelaide Magpies are in name only and are not the true Magpies.

Port Adelaide and the SANFL can voice their disapproval as much as they want but the charade is already over after just eight rounds.

They ceased to be the Magpies when they were given a licence to include Eagles, Roosters, Bulldogs and Tigers in the side.

Paul Stewart is a Woodville-West Torrens product, last year Cameron Hitchcock was in the Glenelg jumper and Sam Colquhoun learned his football at Central District. State league clubs are now playing against players they developed who signed with the Power for the AFL.

The Power, just like the Crows, wanted teams in the state league so they could keep their players together. Any club with a second side calls it their reserves under the same label.

The Crows didn’t come up with the Galahs or Pigeons for their second side. They stuck with the Crows and while they prefer the team be tagged its state league side, it is still acknowledged as their reserves.

So why is the Power reserves called the Magpies, especially when products of other state league programs are involved? And don’t they want to be known as the one club?

The difference between the Crows and Power reserves is the more favourable conditions offered to Port Adelaide, which was allowed to retain key personnel from last year’s Magpies outfit.

Next year, Port Adelaide will lose its zones and under age teams. However, the damage is already being done on the evidence of the past six weeks.

The Power reserves have won their past six games by a combined 423 points at an average of more than 70. Their past two wins were by 50 and 60 points against Sturt and South Adelaide respectively. Those two teams sat second on the ladder underneath the Power reserves going into those battles.

The Power reserves have also beaten the Eagles by 58 points. It is the Eagles’ only loss.

When the Crows were given the green light to field a team in the state league and Port Adelaide was allowed to keep its reserves at Alberton and not spread throughout the competition, there were plenty of nerves of an AFL team domination.

Already clubs are relying on Power injuries to bring it back to the pack.

No doubt if the Power reserves win the grand final the club will claim it as an extension of the Magpies’ proud history. Yeah, right.
by Big Phil
Mon May 19, 2014 12:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think those are things that we will have to deal with. I don't think it will be easy, by any measure.
I believe the national reserves comp/south-eastern reserves conference (SA and Vic sides) will feature on Pay TV. It will fill the void that Foxtel has tried to use the Cup competition to fill.
The 'reserves comp' will see the AFL on a par with the NRL.
I don't see it being a massive drawcard (who wants to watch reserves?) but...it does two things:
1) Provides content for Fox
2) Provides development opportunities at a more elite level than is currently occurring.

I think the fact this forum continues to be so popular and attracts so many people to discuss SANFL, means there will still be strong community support and a little bit of leverage to keep Channel 7 on board through sponsorship.
If it doesn't, so be it.

A number of our SANFL clubs are struggling financially anyway. $40k a year is very little extra in the coffers - that financial support isn't going to solve the problems that some clubs have. However, they will keep going. Financial problems aren't something new - clubs have faced them throughout their existence.

The SANFL has Football Park to work with, ensuring there will be funds to be directed to its members - the eight remaining clubs - into the future.

It will be a struggle. But for many SANFL fans it will be worth it. Ultimately, for the AFL clubs, I believe it will be worth it as well.

This AFL reserves team situation in the SANFL wasn't prompted about financial issues, it was prompted by the needs and desires of the AFL clubs.

This is also not just a challenge being faced by the SANFL but also the VFL.
by Dogwatcher
Mon May 19, 2014 11:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If the NRL has the money to run an under 23 comp (or whatever it is), which receives national coverage on Fox, then I'm pretty certain the AFL, which already bankrolls the NEAFL competition (which has teams in two states/one territory), can afford to operate a reserves/under 23/south-eastern conference.
by Dogwatcher
Mon May 19, 2014 11:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Foxtel Cup 2014

Why wouldnt have they played the Norwood game next Tuesday after the weekend off?

If I was Norwood, I would rather the extra week rest before the next SANFL game than more rest before a Foxtel Cup game.

The Foxtel Cup is a nice concept in theory, but in reality there are bigger fish to fry and it is just a disruption to the season.

West only took it seriously last year because they were in a financial mess thanks to their CEO and needed the money. It potentially cost them a chance at a Premiership.

I agree, a pre-season Foxtel Cup would be better and would be the only format where the clubs that put their State League first could take it semi-seriously.
by Aerie
Wed May 28, 2014 12:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 State Game - SANFL v VFL @ Port Melbourne (Sat 31/5

I wonder which state reps Godden will coax to the Eagles next season?

Any good ones from Glenelg in there? Any one from Glenelg in there?

For those whinging about everything - that guernsey has been used for State representative sides for over 40 years, including Amateur League.

I haven't been a huge fan of the concept in the past, but the commitment from the players to this guernsey has always been of the highest standard and it is a reward for the players who put in huge efforts week in week out and I enjoy watching this game now. Considering the big names our competition has lost in the past few years, it is a good effort to still put out a quality team that has beaten all the other State Leagues.

That group of players and coaching staff did SA proud yesterday. Well done to them.
by Aerie
Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Average and median crowd figures to Round 8

I was interested in how much a few matches this year have skewed the average crowd figure. All other years are up to Round 10, which gives every year between 35-40 matches, with games played before AFL matches taken out, and double headers halved:

Year Average Median
1991 4866 4687
1992 4288 4086
1993 3929 3293
1994 4026 3444
1995 4570 3452
1996 3629 3244
1997 3559 2840
1998 4017 3747
1999 3370 2740
2000 3383 3016
2001 3632 2979
2002 3730 3242
2003 3267 3100
2004 3195 2918
2005 3142 2990
2006 3228 3086
2007 3092 2683
2008 3489 3048
2009 3204 3004
2010 3402 3296
2011 3442 2987
2012 3184 2601
2013 3048 2941
2014 3210 2408

And in table format:
by spell_check
Sat May 31, 2014 4:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R9 - West v Norwood Post Match

Football was the winner
by JK
Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R9 - West v Norwood Post Match

Even though footy fans were rightly rolling their eyes at the scoreline to ¾ time, Norwood's inside 50 count was of a reasonably attacking side. They just couldn't kick the ball through the damn sticks to save themselves.
Yet I have a Westies supporter at work this morning, who went to Richmond last night, whining how Norwood played their typical "ultra defensive" shit brand of footy :lol:

Tell Mickan too stop playing 2 extra defenders behind the ball, bit hard for 4 against 2 most of the night. Especially helpful when Kmac owned Hardy all night, didn't leave much else going forward.
Norwoods inside 50 was good and if they had taken a few more chances early would of opened the game up and forced Mikans hand.
Walked out on the ground and it was very dewy and would of thought made the ball slippery to hold. This backed up by the number of simple dropped marks and poor disposal errors made by both teams. Bottom line poor game to watch for 3 quarters bar some very determined tackling by Norwood. Thankfully a couple of great goals by Wilson and Dawe in the last brought a shining light on the night.
by Ye Olde Place Kick
Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Live scores

League Q1 9m
Eagles 3.2 (20)
Adelaide 2.0 (12)

Reserves Full Time
Sturt 16.5 (101)
South 10.10 (70)

Under 18s
Full Time: Centrals 89 - 82 Port
Full Time: Norwood 85 - 78 West
Full Time: North 91 - 59 Glenelg
by scott
Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Live Scores Round 10

Reserves Q3 20m
Glenelg 5.6 (36)
South 16.9 (105)

Reserves Q3 22m
Port 5.4 (34)
Eagles 14.5 (89)

Reserves Q3 26m
North 11.5 (71)
West 6.3 (39)

Reserves Three Qtr Time
Sturt 1.3 2.4 4.5 (29)
Norwood 1.4 6.6 11.10 (76)

Goals:
Sturt - Vitkunas, Taggert, Langridge, Smith.
Norwood - M.Evans 4, Clayton 2, DeMatteis, Giannini, Hausler, Wicks, McKay.

Disposals: Sturt 161 - 268 Norwood
by scott
Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 10 - Sturt v Norwood - Post Game

nwdfanparade wrote:I polish the cup every day!

I think a few people on here do
by JK
Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 14 - LIVE SCORES

There's going to be a live video stream trial of the league match tonight via youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83pOMn1oYbw
by scott
Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Reserves - Full Time
Norwood 2.5 4.8 8.10 (58)
South Adelaide 0.0 2.2 3.4 3.6 (24)

Scores:
Norwood - Clayton 3.0, 2.2, Wicks 1.2, Rander Murphy 1.1, Peter 1.1, Clarke 1.0, Ortlepp 1.0, McKay 0.1, O'Connor 0.1, Evans 0.1; Rushed 0.1.
South - Rankine 1.0, Haines 1.0, Kokkinakis 1.0, Ah Chee 0.2, Wright 0.1, T.Kerin 0.1, McDonald 0.1, Taht 0.1.

Disposals:
Norwood - O'Connor 26, Wicks 26, Forster 25, Nunn 23, Bower 23, Murphy 22, Clarke 21.
South - P.Kerin 21, Rankine 21, McDonald 19.

Marks:
Norwood - Levicki 15, Clarke 15, Rander 14, Owen 12, Forster 11, O'Connor 11, Luccon 10, Nunn 9, Wicks 9, Bower 8, DeMatteis 8, Sinnott 7, Ialeggio 7, Evans 7.
South - N.Daniel 7.

Tackles:
Norwood - Nunn 9, Hallandall 7, Owen 6, Clayton 6.
South - Parr 9, Haines 5, N.Daniel 5, Rankine 5, Schwarz 5.

Match Stats:
Disposals - Norwood 360, South 237 (Q4 Norwood 105, South 67)
Marks - Norwood 165, South 59 (Q4 Norwood 59, South 21)
H/B Rec - Norwood 90, South 85 (Q4 Norwood 19, South 29)
Tackles - Norwood 64, South 48 (Q4 Norwood 10, South 7)
Clearances - Norwood 36, South 27 (Q4 Norwood 7, South 3)
Inside 50s - Norwood 41, South 23 (Q4 Norwood 9, South 8 )
Free Kicks - Norwood 13, South 9 (Q4 Norwood 4, South 1)
by scott
Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bizarre end on the YouTube feed, with Norwood passing the ball backwards, sideways and all over the place—even when well within range of a shot at goal all the way back to deep in the defensive 50—as if they were protecting a 4 point lead. .
That last five minutes was totally bizarre.

Stats from 17:25 until 22:25 (full time)

Disposals - Norwood 43, South 1
Cont. Marks - Norwood 0, South 1
Uncont. Marks - Norwood 37, South 0
Cont. Poss - Norwood 2, South 1
Uncont. Poss - Norwood 41, South 0
Inside 50s - Norwood 1, South 1
by scott
Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 14 - Norwood v South @ Coopers Stadium (Fri N 18/7

I really enjoyed watching the stream of this game on YouTube last night even though the game was effectively over at quarter time.
by Gozu
Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Cantona incident reminds me of the headline of one of the British tabloids at the time : "Sh*t hits fan". The only problem was that I thought that Cantona kicked rather than hit the fan.
by robranisgod
Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Booney wrote:Two people did the wrong thing here, that's the bottom line and only one, at this point, has been punished.

Disagree Boon ... Hartlett only gets 3 matches, Luke Grant will be a dickhead for the rest of his life.
by dedja
Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 14 - Port v Adelaide @ Alberton Oval (Sat 26/7)

No surprise to read above that Summerton, Bruggeman, Krakouer, Slattery, Haren had an impact on the result.
by SANFLnut
Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A bit of an insight given during James Gowans speech at the Hall of Fame night about how he came to play SANFL. They did have a rookie contract at St Kilda for 2000, but only being paid $12k, they were better off coming to SA and playing SANFL, so they did. Every rookie listed Port and Crows player would be on more than the highest paid SANFL players these days. That is with an extra two AFL teams as well - i.e. it is easier to get on an AFL list now.

Not really a whinge or argument whether it is better now or then, but an example of why the SANFL is struggling to maintain its stance with AFL going from strength to strength and leaving the rest behind.

I'm sure both Gowans and many other very good SANFL players of the early to mid 2000's would be on AFL lists now if their careers began 15 years later.
by Aerie
Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL crowd numbers

Not to mention Crows fans walk in the gates for free, I suspect some once a year SANFL fans are using their Crows membership to get in free to see their old SANFL club play
by Dutchy
Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Heard Rowe on 5aa say that the league will be sending out a statement soon in regards to changes for the afl reserves side for 2015.

- Can't sign anyone over 23
- Can only sign one year contracts
- Can't recruit interstate players

I wonder if this means they have to get rid of players or they just can't sign anymore players over 23, not sure what else was mentioned only caught the end of it.

All part of the AFLSA push to make the SANFL an under 23 feeder comp for the AFL.

I have been posting this thought for a couple of years and I truly believe AFL head office would love nothing more than to see all the state league completely change to this way

not sure why they would do this. doesnt make any sense really

As close as following the American sport system as they could get in Oz

Every thing the AFL does is based on the USA sports system

-salary caps
-blockbuster games
-schedules based solely on maximising TV ratings
-creating franchises to capture a certain market
-teams with extra salary cap room etc etc
-finals
-free agency
-tv replays for deciscions
-trade period
-draft combine
-drafts
-veterans lists/rookie lists/development players from overseas
-completely monopoly of the sport (NFL being used as the term people refer to when they describe the sport they play similar to AFL when it's Aussie rules football)
by whufc
Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Interesting article in today's advertiser quoting Roy Laird. Mentioning how playing the afl professionals is a real lottery, damaging the integrity of the sanfl. An example given was South played port with Port having 9 afl players, centrals faced them with 14. Also mentioned no team should have to face them with a shorter break, given their advantage of facilities and not having to work.
Spot on Roy, sticking up for the sanfl and the little integrity left.
by sjt
Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R17 scores and dribble

The ladder as I have it

LADDER W Pct Pts
Port 11 58.66% 22* play Nwd Sun
Sturt 11 55.12% 22
Norwood 10 55.82% 20* play Port Sun
South 9 53.03% 18 * play West Sun
Eagles 9 49.07% 18

Central 9 48.63% 18
North 8 49.16% 16
Adelaide 7 49.13% 14
West 6 45.40% 12* play South Sun
Glenelg 3 37.04% 6

Conclusions

- Port have double chance
- Sturt and Norwood have secured finals berths
- Eagles can't finish top 3
- Adelaide, West & Glenelg cant play finals

Tomorrow

- A South win v West will lock in a finals berth for the Panthers, the others below could get to 10 wins next week but wont make up the pct.
and it will still give them a shot at the Double Chance if they can make up the pct difference over Sturt .

- A West win over South locks in double chance for Sturt (2 wins up) and Norwood (far superior pct)

- A Port win v Norwood secures Minor Premiership for Magpies

- A Norwood win v Port secures double chance for Redlegs, a win by 75-80 points would give them top spot on percentage.

Port & West combination
- Port minor premiers, Sturt & Norwood double chance secured.
- Four teams (South, Eagles, Central & North) all on 9 wins for 2 spots in Elimination Final.

Port & South combination
- Port minor premiers
- Norwood, Sturt & South guaranteed finals, battling for 2 spots in Qualifying Final
- Eagles, Central & North battling for 1 spot in Elimination Final

Norwood & West combination
- Port, Norwood & Sturt all top 3, minor premiership down to last round
- Four teams (South, Eagles, Central & North) all on 9 wins for 2 spots in Elimination Final.

Norwood & South combination
- Port & Norwood secured top 3, minor premiership down ,
- Sturt & South secured finals battling for 1 spot in qualifying final
- Eagles, Central & North battling for 1 spot in Elimination final

Anyway that tomorrow goes next Saturday afternoon is going to be fascinating to follow.
by PhilH
Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL scheduling - First week of finals announced

I would say 2nd week of SANFL finals almost certain to be at Adelaide Oval after Crows loss tonight. Cant see Adelaide (AFL) getting to 6th now.
by PhilH
Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R17 scores and dribble

Reserves Q4 10m
West 9.4 (58)
South 14.16 (100)

Reserves Q4 14m
Port 12.2 (74)
Norwood 12.11 (83)

Norwood can't seem to shake Port to keep their double chance aspirations alive.

LIVE RESERVES LADDER
W/WT EAGLES 17 14 3 1429 1004 28 58.73
NORTH ADELAIDE 17 13 3 1 1537 1140 27 57.42
STURT 17 10 7 1492 1302 20 53.40
NORWOOD * 18 10 8 1193 1186 20 50.15
GLENELG 17 8 9 1455 1387 16 51.20

SOUTH ADELAIDE * 17 7 10 1189 1248 14 48.79
WEST ADELAIDE * 17 5 11 1 1123 1499 11 42.83
CENTRAL DISTRICT 17 4 12 1 1112 1383 9 44.57
PORT ADELAIDE * 17 4 12 1 1242 1623 9 43.35
Almost zero hope of us claiming the double chance. Would need South to beat Sturt next week by about 200 points
by Jim05
Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Finals Make Up

Is it just me or is it a tad unfair that we play our game after all the others therefore knowing our destiny. Surely it would be fairer for all sides to play at the same time. Fairness doesnt seem to be in the SANFL charter though
by Jim05
Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |