Search found 34 matches

Return

Re: Pilmore Cup 2014

jet-airport wrote:If Denty's got anything to do with it, wont be out till Sat morning..... :)

=D>
Nice one JA - clearly you have been one of those waiting till midnight on a Thursday night for team selection
by Mister Footy
Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Southern Football League

My apologies, I should have also mentioned Reynella V Porties next week as a critical game and one worth going a long way to see. Haven"t been to Reynella since round 1. How is the ground holding up in the recent rain .......... is the cricket pitch area a shit heap?
Haha coming from a Flaggy bloke the shit heap comment is funny
by tigerpie
Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Front & Centre wrote:5 good games footy, raising money for a good cause and a keg ready - looking forward to a good day

A bloody good day for HV ......... 5 / zip ............ I certainly didn't see that coming ........ but then again I am a senior citizen who wears glasses!!!!!
by King
Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

like ours it is original

Please tell me if otherwise, but I always thought they took that song from the Bushpigs?

Might need Dazza44 to confirm that!

The first time i heard this chant was in 1989 ..... ROOS u/18's came from 4 goals down against Valley to win in first game of season ... one off the lads had been to BALI and brought a t- shirt back with Bali ranger words on it ...words i can't write on hear ... the Roos C grade were about to come out the rooms when we sat back and listened .... funny as ..... that yr the Roos and Valley had some hugh games in that grade finishing with the Roos winning the flag over Valley by 2 points .... The Roos band the team from using the chant .... couple yrs later Happy Valley started using the chant with their words .... hey its different leave it be ..... Flaggies have had about 3 different songs in 25 yrs, they did use this chant as well i think....

Well MatteeG, the Bushpigs certainly had it before Happy Valley ... but it certainly wasn't original ! I thought we pinched it from a chant that the Venturer Scouts used to use. I would think we were using it for 7 or so years before 1993, and some of the original words were really not for public consumption .... and I recall the SFL also banned Flaggies from using the song during finals at some stages before the words were modified :)

The song went by the wayside when we changed from Bushpigs to Falcons in 1993. I must admit that it does always grate with me & others who fondly remember the Bushpig days when I hear them sing it ...

I always thought that Valleys pinched it from us, but from what B D H says, maybe they pinched it from Morphies U18s ! No idea when they started using it, but can't have been much before 1990 (if even that early) so not sure how much "Tradition" it really carries ... although I guess the only real success for HVFC has come after that.

Well the song lives on and we're happy to embrace it rather than be the 90th club to use the Tigers song around Australia. Interesting to hear the history of where it came from and just like you guys changed to the more pallatable 'Falcons' name and adopted the Norwood song, I guess tradition has to start somewhere. Been plenty of premierships celebrated with the song, so I guess that makes it all the more part of the fabric.
by afc9798
Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thanks Petoe we are well aware of where we are at and where we want to go. We have been in the bottom 3 for 4 years now and hardly made an impact since making 3 consecutive A grade finals series in 2006,07,08. A conscious decision was made at the end of 2012 season to concentrate on other areas rather than overpay recruits to merely try to win 3 or 4 games. Really there is bugger all difference between the bottom 3 clubs we are all struggling equally although I'd kill for their 3 wins or even just 1 right now.

Anyone that has been down to the club of late would've noticed that quite a bit has happened over the last 3 months and a heap more WILL happen before the start of next season. We have a good core group of senior players, some really good juniors coming through but we certainly need some help especially in key positions. Coming into the season we thought we were up for a better year but in the space of about 4 weeks suffered a huge blow losing Baxter to the mines, Ky Miller who we let out of contract to an offer 5 x ours to KNTFL and a few others who committed with them. From there it's been an uphill battle but we've shown a lot of heart pushed a lot of sides for a half or 3/4s but as the injuries mounted up and our lack of depth was exposed our results have deteriorated. The footy gods have definitely not smiled upon us either losing our CHF & CHB in the same collision which saw them both break bones and end their seasons. The Crawf game was a distraction we didn't need and lost a few in the wake of that loss also but we chose to give the experience to some young men who will help take our club forward in the future. That day will hold them in good stead.

Although putting 2 senior teams on the park has been a battle of late the spirit is still there and a greater bunch of people you never will meet. The club is in the best position it has been off field since the merger hopefully that can start translating to on field but that will still take a lot of hard work and perseverance. Overall It's been a bloody tough year but a lot of reason for optimism. We don't accept our results this season, it will burn in our guts and we will fight hard to make sure it doesn't happen again.
by lion heart
Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A grade coaching vacancies 2015

Mister Footy wrote:Enough talking about Dent - lets focus on the footy

We have another thread for that
by Look Good In Leather
Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A grade coaching vacancies 2015

Mister Footy and AFC, you seem to have a lot to say about the club and especially regarding the coaching position at the Valley. Are you involved in the club in any formal way? I would hope not!
I can tell it’s the clubs decision to advertise and I know Dent was keen to be reappointed before the season was finished. Four, five or six years is not too long depending on results and the improvement of players. This year Dents focus was on promoting juniors to step up a grade, if they were up to it. We have seen a large number of kids doing this year and we have had around 10 under 18’s play B grade and 4 play A grade. There would have been more if the others wanted to step up. A large number of players are having their best year for the club, so I would think the instructions Dent is giving has been followed out. The players understand and are happy.
Some stats for you to consider regarding Dents record;
No other club has won more A grade games than the Valleys in Dents time
No other club has won more A grade finals, Brighton have won the same number
No other club has scored more points for in A grade
No other club has conceded more points in A grade
I know a few other clubs that would like to have that record.
We all know 2013 turned out to be a big disappointment for the club, but I am not sure where you are coming from with the comment “Some risky selections on his mates last year”, please explain.

You have made a few interesting points here Vinney.
"This year Dents focus was on promoting juniors" Why only this year? Shouldnt an A grade coach always be looking to promote juniors?
"The players are happy" What makes you say this? Not sure that is 100% correct and is probably a contributing factor to the club advertising this year.
"4, 5 or 6 years is not too long depending on results" The results speak for themselves. As has been pointed out one premiership with all of your impressive stats is not a great return.
Club is making a good decision to see who else is out there
by Front & Centre
Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

No doubt NPG is going to MV to play under BC. If HV had been able to secure BC for 2015 then NPG would likely be wearing the big V next year.
Thanks for the expected rocket Snappa. Not going to quote a $ amount but it would be a significant - I know the amount he was asking for to return to HV
I would estimate he would be earning more than most MV players and for a club whose hierarchy has preached over the years that they "dont pay players" I think you just made an exception.

I wasn't talking about BC front and centre , he was always going round again at MV, think you will find another HV coach who unbelievably is for 2015 "now no longer required at the football club" was the person I was alluding too that got NPG to HVFC.

Regarding PETO, it's not onlyl about the money for him - SUCCESS has always driven the bloke! Good luck to him if he is actually back in the SFL - CAN PLAY!

:shock: Losing Macca / johhnny would be massive! and may be the start of a little slide down the ladder for the Taylor's road boys, picking up Marion blokes and paying them $$ tends to lean that way. :o

Ohh well time will tell.

Justin Calderbank?
by Look Good In Leather
Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hmmm maybe MVFC don't bow to pressure and pay exhorbitant match payments after all...
by Zelezny Chucks
Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

jet-airport wrote:
beer tent wrote:Emu's have broke tradition and spent big coin on a power forward :shock:

On this topic has anyone got an updated list or link to clearances, the SFL site hasn't been updated since the 5th of Feb...... :evil:

The maroons must have read your post. It was updated last night.
by afc9798
Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Probably not as much activity on the clearances as previous years, at this stage anyway.

Disappointing hear Clifton not coaching Hackham from an outsider looking on, in 3 years he did a fantastic job taking them from a basket case to missing the finals by a game last season, will be interesting to see which direction they head now?

Some big losses to the league will be felt by those clubs effected. Spencley, McNamara, Vessali, Minns and McKenzie to name a few.
by Keyser Soze
Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Not for me to elaborate on, not my club, and it isn't rubbish!! Imagine it will be all over here by this afternoon, definitely by selections tonight!!
Maybe someone from the club concerned can reveal? There's plenty of em on this site normally with opinions. :oops:[/quote]

Joel Brown on the move?
by shoe boy
Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Not for me to elaborate on, not my club, and it isn't rubbish!! Imagine it will be all over here by this afternoon, definitely by selections tonight!!
Maybe someone from the club concerned can reveal? There's plenty of em on this site normally with opinions. :oops:

Joel Brown on the move?

Have done some checking for you SB and you are correct. Sad to see but when you are offered the real big bucks he has been reckon it is understandable. Was always a chance this would happen when his best mate NPG went to Loxton. He has told club he will be back next year but has a wedding to pay for

Just another casualty of the country clubs being able to offer these blokes plenty of $$$$$ and SFL clubs cant match it.

Jet Airport reckon you need to get your head out your backside mate and stop trashing HV any chance you get. Most blokes would be tempted by this sort of cash - HV dont need to "have a good hard look at themselves" but maybe you should find a mirror and stop trying to stir up trouble

Not "stirring up trouble" MF, stating what I had been shown on Facebook!
Not "trashing" Happy Valley either MF- always respected HV footy club... but... the walls down HVFC are talking in 2015 MF!

Last I checked Its a forum and when your arguably 1st or 2nd best player- "walks out" after playing "B grade" round 1, people in footy are going to talk. If a Farrier, Pannozo, Mott, or Carey did the same you'd be all over it .

See you round 5 MF- i'll bring some mirrors for your hierarchy to look into, make sure you all wear ya 2012 premiership Polo-shirts so we can count ALL the blokes who have moved on.[/quote]

Some of the selections of Vikings A-grade last week were very strange Brown and Huebner just to name a few which was made worst by there first loss to the Falcons and B-grade won easily and now one of your best players Brown who was the Vikings best player in the finals and played association footy last year has gone to another club after round 1. Add him to the list of McKenzie, McNamara, Borowski, Raitt plus a few others who aren't playing and you gotta expect some discussion and questions asked.

The vikings have always been a stable club and one of the powers in the SFL I'm sure they will bounce back this week. Don't be so precious MF it's a forum for discussion if you don't like it don't log on. :)
by Keyser Soze
Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The SFL have called an emergency AGM for Wednesday night after the shoes loss on the weekend. The are expected to allocate them as many points as they need to ensure 10 goal thrashings don't happen again.
by Reader
Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I know what is disrespectful crap, towns turning up to Morphett vale last week with only 2 teams for the whole day.
by Reader
Thu May 21, 2015 8:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Reynella 29-13 to 5-4 ish emus. Equally top side gets thumped by 20+ goals.
Loved every second of it!
3 things I learnt.
Very well umpired for the most part.
The new mcentee is a pretty handy in.
Feels pretty good flogging the emus at home.
by tigerpie
Sun May 24, 2015 6:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

]

Surely M/vale could of put loose numbers or a plus 1 behind the ball at some stage to stop the bleeding :shock: :shock:
Sides that try to play man on man footy against the Wineys just get blown away on a dry deck....[/quote]

Unless you play them in September :D
by shoe boy
Mon May 25, 2015 10:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Very little talk of the Association Game on here and none whatsoever on the GSFL forum. We no longer have State of Origin and SANFL versus WAFL and VFL seems to have an interest and crowd consisting mainly of family and friends. I'm not against Association football but has it run its race?

The Hills Div 1 have pulled out of their game against the RMFL due to lack of interest from clubs and players. That league has given the SACFL all sorts of grief in recent years with tribunal appeals and relegation/promotion sagas so it will be interesting how that situation plays out.

Even at its prime, Association football for the players was still probably more about ego in making the team to prove to family and friends that you are a decent player rather than wanting to win at all costs for your Association. But the modern days of the internet that provide easily accessed scores, best players, medalists etc. and forums such as this gives us plenty of information about who are the stars of every competition and satisfying the ego of the players without needing to play Association footy to confirm it.

The training commitment and expectations on our better players these days has them and probably the club counting down the days to a weekend off in June. Leagues also have to realise that the mindset of todays "amateur" footballer is a lot different than 20/30 plus years ago, and when the higher levels no longer play meaningful representative football due to a club first mentality how do they expect that attitude to be any different at our level.

I hope the lads who represent the SFL this week enjoy it and play with some pride in the jumper. I'm sure several will be chuffed to be playing and good on them for accepting their invitation to play.
by Down the Hill
Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Absolutely embarrasing. Got it wrong Thursday night at selections and when downhill rapidly from there.

Some of the guys that have made association over the past 5 or 6 years in an embarrassment to the league and all the players that have played in previous years! Maroon coats with there head in the sand again, but still no one actually steps up to do something about it!

Im just interested "Luke 15" who would you have put in that team that did not play and who should not have been in that team?

Reynella
by Peter Griffen
Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

"3 years of u/16 and u/18 coaching - getting HVFC to the GF each year!."

And still having nightmares about running into Brighton each time :D
by Down the Hill
Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Re: Points System Is Crucifying Country Footy

Any clubs having trouble recruiting players under this new salary cap,
Looks to me the brown paper bag business is going to boom this year.
How much does the zone registra get paid?
He's going to need a lot of petrol tickets chasing brown paper bags flying out car windows

Or if the players partner plays netball or tennis will be on $500 game :D

Noarlunga Netball Club going to have a highly paid team next year? :)
by Look Good In Leather
Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Any clubs having trouble recruiting players under this new salary cap,
Looks to me the brown paper bag business is going to boom this year.
How much does the zone registra get paid?
He's going to need a lot of petrol tickets chasing brown paper bags flying out car windows

Or if the players partner plays netball or tennis will be on $500 game :D

Noarlunga Netball Club going to have a highly paid team next year? :)

Goodluck getting the money of the misses. ;)
by whufc
Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Instead of finding ways (which is quite easy to do) in beating the salary cap rules. Why didn't the leagues and clubs simply vote NO? That would have been the easiest. Just tell the CFB to stick their rules where the sun doesn't shine and run the competitions as the clubs see fit. Simply doesn't make sense to vote yes and then look for ways to break the rules. Would have been easier to be upfront from the start
Or just abide by the rules the MAJORITY of clubs have agreed to & probably won't be affected by. Seems to me any clubs against the salary cap are the ones who spend a sh!tload of money on players.
Or they don't like to be dictated too by a body that has an agenda that has nothing to do with equalisation !
Exhibit A
by OnSong
Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A lot of people going over old ground, covered so many times so though I would do a quick write up on my thoughts/what I have heard for the upcoming year.
Flagstaff Hill Could go one of 2 ways after last years finals choke, should make the GF
Reynella Flag favourites with a few players and brown paper bags moving around
Brighton Surprise grand finalists, good honest team who will perform well in finals because of fitness and big ovals
Noarlunga Always land a few big fish around this time of year, Finals spot will determine who they get
M Ville Park A few years of finals footy, I have them slipping down the ladder
Christies, one of the best performed teams of last year, with all teams making the Prelim (iirc) recycling an old coach who didn't have much success seems strange, and there are a few locals unhappy, Club would be expecting atleast a prelim with recruits that have come in.
Morphett Vale, recruited well, have a coach that should be able to get the most out of the team, although not to many at Mclaren were to disappointed to see him leave
Happy Valley For a club with so many numbers and juniors, last year would be probably the most disappointing of all teams! Too many chiefs and not enough Indians off field
Port Noarlunga Would expect with them missing the finals last year and the easier draw (pattern of the last few years) for them to improve, but im not hearing any good things with a lot of the older players staying around and taking the $$$ without the passion
Cove New Coach will be interesting, haven't got a lot of ins yet, Similar to last year
Marion Havent heard much, so would expect the same
Hackham Still suffering from the Clifton regime, haven't heard to many promising reports
OSB Lonsdale Have a few handy clearances in, but also lost their best 2 players from last year
Aldinga As always a few clearances in, need the recruits to stick around for a few years to try and turn it around, Finally seem to have juniors filtering through which is the key for them

Not sure how you would know what's happening at Oval Rd but there are no brown paper bags. A successful playing environment and good people wins out over $$$ every time.

Time to crawl back in your hole
by RFC 2010
Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bit precious Just goin by ladder airport!! And response to struggling I say bring back King Cratey!!
by sweendog
Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bad day for Cove a beating,bad supporters and the Pres attempting to snuff out rumours at Presos of a change of Coach for season 2018. Could be the rumours are because they have been courting a recently finished SANFL assistant who thinks he is a good thing.

Time to change your grassroots team Vics? I occasionally scroll these pages whilst having a shit at work. Haven't seen a positive post about your "grassroots club" for a very long time.
by sportsfan
Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

5 August 2017 - said player has played for the South Reserves at 12 noon at Alberton Oval and on the same day he was listed as playing B grade for Port Noarlunga coincidentally v Morphett Vale. That game has contributed to the 4 games (1A and 3B) he has supposedly played. And the other 2 B grade games appear dodgy because I think South had BYEs those weeks and if he was truly released to play by South then one assumes he would be an automatic A grade selection. The fact he played a B grade game v Marion for no goals and no best players does make you wonder if he even suited up or spent any time on the field.

When will clubs learn. There is a thing called the internet and the SportsTG system that makes all this information available. We have left the SFL but I continue to defend the league and remind those that love taking pot shots that the top clubs in the SFL would put many clubs in the AdFL to shame with how well run and organised they are. And the performance of Morphy Park and Brighton this year has justified that. But when a club does what seemingly has happened here, particularly at A grade level, then you have to wonder what on earth is going on at some of the SFL clubs.
by Down the Hill
Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HFL Division 2 (Country)

jet-airport wrote:Who is the coach of Nairne A grade?

Position is/was currently advertised.

Tony Fielke has retired from coaching
by Keefy
Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 7 - 2018

Just to clear a few things up there was absolutely no insurance on the contents lost in the shed. Should there have been? Absolutely and I believe this was the case up until the past 2/3 years.

I can see why people would jump to conclusions when we sign a big name like Trev that we are not using the funds raised for the intended purpose but I can guarantee you that is not the case. In fact our player budget has decreased by 60-70% on last years budget. The player budget was a major motivating factor in our move to the AdFL as what we were doing was not sustainable and would have killed us this year. People would be shocked if they knew the amounts being spent for little return.

The facts are that whilst affiliated In the SFL we had to overpay guys to join the club. I am sure people can understand that players aren’t falling over themselves to sign up for 25-30 goal thrashing’s. Our 3 highest paid players from last season have already left the club after being offered huge decreases in pay and I suspect some more will follow. On the flip side we have been able to re-sign many former players (most are returning juniors) mostly for nothing or discounted prices.

There is a genuine buzz around the place that has not been there in many years; we’ve even had a handful of guys come out of retirement. It is awesome to see so many new faces at the club and the best thing is they are here for the right reasons....I suspect there is more to follow.
by lion heart
Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hasn't played I don't think, big pick up for Kenilworth and a big drop in grade for Harman.

Is it really a big drop in standard?

When was the last time a player from sfl came
And dominated div 5 or higher adelaide footy league?

We had a guy last year ended up playing twos and won the Anzac medal in the sfl this year.

I dare say half of the sfl teams would be no more then solid div 5 teams

Ohh dear Scottyroo, you've poked the SFL bear :D
I smell a LGIL post.....

You rang?

To be fair, there are some good players in Division 5, the talent just drops off quicker than the in higher divisions, and the mid to top SFL clubs.

As for how our clubs rate, Morphettville Park and Edwardstown have clearly demonstrated that our mid-range clubs are better than "solid div 5 teams".

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
by Look Good In Leather
Wed May 16, 2018 4:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hasn't played I don't think, big pick up for Kenilworth and a big drop in grade for Harman.

Is it really a big drop in standard?

When was the last time a player from sfl came
And dominated div 5 or higher adelaide footy league?

We had a guy last year ended up playing twos and won the Anzac medal in the sfl this year.

I dare say half of the sfl teams would be no more then solid div 5 teams

Hey Scottroo, there were around 20 players who came from the SFL last year who were fairly dominant in Division 3 not to mention a similar number who did a pretty decent job in Division 4. As LGIL said, the true strength of an A grade team is more often players 15 to 21 not players 1 to 6.

And with Harman I think it was more a reference to his own grade or standard. The bloke played State Country just 2 or 3 years ago.
by Down the Hill
Wed May 16, 2018 4:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 5 - 2018

Bluedemon wrote:
jet-airport wrote:Fun fact #149 Only 2% of the worlds population can lick their own elbow

Fun fact #158 98% of people are trying it now

oops, I just read it properly, elbow.
by Lightning McQueen
Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 5 - 2018

jet-airport wrote:Fun fact #149 Only 2% of the worlds population can lick their own elbow

Fun fact #158 98% of people are trying it now
by Bluedemon
Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I reckon they could have appointed Humphrey Bear and they'd still be around the mark.
Hurts me to say it, but you have to respect what they've done at Flaggies and the club is set up to be up the top despite the changes.
A strong playing group, good administration and a place where players want to be. All the ingredients required to continue their success.
by afc9798
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |