Search found 17 matches

Return

Re: Great Southern Football League

Whats wrong with the points system now? Persoanlly i dont know too much about it and some tinkering may improve it slightly but what i do know is the the GSFL last season was probably one of the most even it has been for a long long long time with injury lists seemingly deciding matches quite often.
Like that JJ looking on from a far and knowing the GSFL quite well as with the hfl slowly the points system is evening things out . I think the gsfl is a bit further ahead given there are some bigger communitys down that way for sponsers etc , compared to some of the smaller hills clubs all drawing fom the same pot of sponsers but it is working .!!

Agree... Nothing wrong with the point system here in GSFL... Working well...

It does need some tinkering tho. Small towns like Yank have little option but to bring in imports just to be up there. Guys please don't say yeah here we go again, but talent is very limited with youth to develop and ours are 3-4 years away. Very similar in Mypo I would reckon. Personally I think the points should range from a minimum of 12 to a maximum of 18. I have been in control of a club when involved with salary cap and it stinks to high heaven. Points are the answer but getting it right takes very good league administration. :)

Haven't you got 5 kids training with the U/18s at South? ;) The point system is fine - sure it has some flaws but a salary cap..... doesn't work. It would be like the days when FOD was playing for Victor. All the boys "working" at the Crown but they were all on the wrong side of the bar! :lol:
by words of wisdom
Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Lol. No salary cap back then WOW. Plenty of time celebrating at the Crown though - on both sides of the bar.... on the bar even!

Back in the day that was one of the best things about the GSFL - smash the shit out of each other Saturday arvo & get smashed together Saturday night at the Crown. Stewy Kluske was gold behind the bar... not very good at math though :lol:
by words of wisdom
Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I haven't heard of any clubs averaging huge numbers on the track. Overall the whole standard of the league may drop slightly with the number of outs but the comp will still be fairly even. Strath & Willunga will start favourites - 3rd to 8th is anyones guess. Victor is rebuilding but have 2 of the best to build around in Brown & Iljecsen. Who's staying at yank is unknown but Thompson is having a great impression over the whole club.
by words of wisdom
Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I have heard Goolwas forward line will consist of Bridges, D.Hirst, Kies, Pearce, Rick & Mark Davis! Any truth LF?
by words of wisdom
Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: River Murray Football League talk

Interesting to hear that one of the high paid recruits has openly said " I am getting paid more than I am worth , BUT I will take it " , that's the trouble when Clubs open the wallets and don't do their homework. And that is typical across country footy , absolute joke what some of the blokes are getting paid.

That doesn't really narrow it down, there's heaps of them - care to elaborate?
by words of wisdom
Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Southern Football League

Nothing against the Shoes but why have a point system if your going to do this? Sure Noarlunga have had a heap leave but they've made finals more times than not over the last 10 or so years. I wonder what clubs like Dingy, lonsdale, Christies etc think about this.
by words of wisdom
Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Panther32 wrote:
LuvsFooty wrote:Doesn't mind a durry!!

Mclaren have always been dangerous but always lacked big men. Now they add Billings and Parry with Laffin and Mutton combined with amazing fitness.

Which Billings???

Parry will be a huge inclusion, but will he stay on the field with his past suspensions!

Tom Billings
by words of wisdom
Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

We really don't need to merge. The only grade we're short on kids is the mini's but we have 35+ modies. We're pushing kids up so they don't miss out on a game in the 17's to senior footy. Had 2 play A grade on the weekend & 1 in the B's. Merge & kids will miss out. No offence to Aldinga but what benefit would it bring? The clubs financially the best it's ever been & we're building a new community gym & footy change rooms in the next 18 months or so.
by words of wisdom
Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Saw one of the funniest things on saturday - A certain A grade player from Mt Compass who doesn't mind getting on the lip a lot, hold the ball up in the air, right in front of the grandstand at Compass & yell to the Mypo crowd "who's got the ball". He then proceeded to kick it into the man on the mark & watch him run right pass him a kick a goal from about 40m out. I'm sure the other half of his family (involved at pongy) will let him know about for awhile! :oops: :oops: :lol:
by words of wisdom
Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mallee FL

Had a look at the Peake lameroo game yesterday absolute cracker of a game one of the best mallee games I've seen.. Great win by Peake they showed a bit of ticker to get up think they were 9 points down with about 5 minutes to go.

Were both teams at full strength big dog?
Any chance Mahony will sneak into a forward pocket come finals??

Can anyone actually pick who will win this comp? Seems like it's really up for grabs by any club. Bottom beat top by 70 points or something crazy like that. Must be good for the players having a good contest wk in wk out..

Gonna need a big pocket!
by words of wisdom
Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

field of dreams wrote:
words of wisdom wrote:Tristan Gum has signed at Myponga. Fair midfield they've assembled - Ty Allen, Gum, Carroll & Hunt.
If anyone has a key forward that we could have, it would be greatly appreciated! :D

Losing the Emirates deal not a big issue then. :D

Lose the Middle East but pick up China! :lol:
by words of wisdom
Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So it's 2015! No news anyone? LF? WOW? You guys usually have your finger on the pulse.

Fixture is up on foxsportspulse

Round 1 April 11 (week after Easter)

Rumors - In's & Out's

Pongy
In - Gum & Allen
Out - Wendleborn & Williams

Willunga
In - Portlock, Boyd, Brown, Garrett, Beath
Out - Haskett, Standfield??

Compass
In - Ziggy V, Corbett??
Out - ??

Goolwa
In - Ashton Place
Out - Miklejohn??, Alexandrina Council.

Yank
In - Kanes x 2, Hinge, Wilson, Kay
Out - Ashton Place

Strath
In - Hanby??
Out - Batson

Creek
In - ??
Out - Kellock, Derham, Rogers

Victor
In - Thewlis, Ryan??
Out - ??

Bays
In - Butler
Out - Hooper, Neely, Barnes??

Mclarens
In - Powell
Out - ??

What I've heard but feel free to add or can the rumors.
by words of wisdom
Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Clubs with problems at Junior Level is not uncommon these days . It is a major concern when committees see the A grade only as the whole Club. Mt Compass will not be the only one with problems here , I know of another who is heading down the same path. Have lost so many Juniors over the past 6-7 years and can't get them back. And unfortunately most Clubs don't have the drawing power , population that VH & EB have , this is not a slur on these two Clubs . I say good luck to them and more importantly they do put good time and effort in to the Junior side and have reaped rewards. Not all things are rosy in the GSFL at the moment , the next couple of seasons could see Club changes , some going is my tip..

Not sure any clubs will disappear in the next couple of seasons but having no juniors for an extended period will hurt any club. Mt Compass & probably Yank are short or struggling for numbers but it just means you have to work twice as hard to keep the kids around. Keeping their parents happier is normally the problem.... GSFL is still the premier country comp.
by words of wisdom
Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Southern Football League

Heard talk of this last night , I'm speechless ,dumbfounded and disappointed , personally I would rather win the spoon than resort to this

Understand the sentiment, but without bending the rules I am not sure how you are going to keep recruiting Tiwi Island boys, unless they are coming to play B-Grade.
Nothing to do with Tiwi lads we only have Moreen (1pt) , think it's more about the imbalance should Johncock (2) and Betts (3) both be called up to Crows SANFL duties ,having 3 of our players on the Crows top up list creates all sorts of scenarios week to week ,
Regardless Of the reasoning I'm against this course of action
Seriously just f**k the whole points system off , it's a load of crap , the game survived 125 yrs without it , clubs can't attract quality players to the comp because of it ,sponsors and members deserve better for their money ,
Wouldn't it be nice if the Redcoats had the lollies to tell the CFL to shove the points and let the clubs get on with it
:butthead:
Oh well it is what it is and we have to get on with it ](*,) ](*,) :weedman:

The point system can work if it's followed. Look at the results in the GSFL. No club has ever been awarded extra points since it's inception.
by words of wisdom
Sun May 03, 2015 12:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

We should have a couple of handy ins for round 9 FOD! ;)
Didn't get there WoW.....were they handy? I was surprised (pleasantly [emoji4]) at the result. Must've found some form!

Nah mate the boys didn't get up for the game. No Allen, Gum or Nick B. Carroll went down in the 3rd i think but take nothing away from Victor. If you guys can hold that group together you're going to eventually have some real success.
by words of wisdom
Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Mclaren have now confirmed their A Grade Coach for 2016 will be Ex Mudlark big man Shane Sterzl. Great appointment

Any players from Valley's heading to the wine region with him?? Talk of pay cuts to current players for 2016 after the club signed Lawrie on 4 figures. :shock: Would imagine he's chatting to a few over a beer or two.

Wouldn't have thought too many would follow him. Those that played with him or under him years ago have now left or retired. He has more chance of dragging some blokes from Myponga where he spent most of him time over the years, No idea what sort of relationship he would have with any of them though,,,

Only a couple left at Pongy from the Sterzl days, Hassan & Wade Hutchy. Loots & Laff, who he played with at Pongy are already at Mclarens.
by words of wisdom
Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

My mail has McLaren recruiting Trevor Rigney from Peake. I wonder whether any of the other boys will follow like Bradley, Phillips etc

I wonder if these blokes would still get a kick coming from mallee fl back up to gsfl. Great footballers for a long time... Rigney still quick and phillips still handy but it is a massive step up in standard of competition and cant see them dominating gsfl any where near the way they do out in the mallee

I saw Rigs play this year & he still has his leap but looks 87 years old ;) . The 1 on 1 style of the Gsfl would suit him, plenty of space to create up forward but it is a huge (I mean huge) step up from the Mallee. Still be good for 30 - 40 goals if he can get the supply.
by words of wisdom
Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |