Search found 18 matches

Return

Re: Great Southern Football League

Updated.

GSFL PLAYER MOVEMENT 2018/19

*if something is not true/correct please message the page so it can be amended or to add a player movement.

ENCOUNTER BAY
In: Tyler Baldock & Daniel Toole (Kadina).
Out: Rigby Barnes (Jervois), Charlie Sharples (Broadview), Ben Davis (Nairne-Bremer),

GOOLWA/PORT ELLIOT
In: Ryan Griffen (Western Bulldogs, GWS, South Adelaide), Brad Helbig (Richmond, West Adelaide), Ryan Sutter (Geelong, Cove), Kyle Stoldt (Cove), Matt Wiese (returns from the Navy, WAFL), Todd Marsh (Westminster OC).
Out: Matt Harper, Sam Casey.

LANGHORNE CREEK
In: Ryan Haylock (SMOSH/West Lakes)
Out: Lachlan Earl (Tanunda), Darcy Clifford.

MCLAREN
In: Shaun Halliday, Billy Gregory ( Reynella ), Sam Whitbread ( Reynella ), Max Wakefield, Codey Ellison ( Reynella ).
Out: Steve Kahl (retired).

MOUNT COMPASS
In: Adam Hunter (South Adelaide), Dwayne Ruddock (Happy Valley), Shane Heatley.
Out: Jake Veide (Port Noarlunga), Stuart Hill.

MYPONGA/SELLICKS
In: Simon Phillips (Sydney, Port Adelaide, Norwood), Tyler Harman, Wayne Deacon (Coach), Tate Colman.
Out: Josh Miller, Brad Merrett, Matt Merrett, Scott Carpenter.

STRATHALBYN
In: Ben Simounds (returns from Keith), Tom McNamara (Melbourne), Ethan Bell, Sam Luckett, Ben Haseldine (West Whyalla).
Out: Sam George.

VICTOR HARBOR
In: Ben Yeomans, Brock Schubert, Kurt Linder, James Bramley, Ryan Jeffries, Jordan Bohnsack, Jack Lang, Jack Manning, Henry McKay.
Out: Bradley Borrillo, Doug Proud, Matt Kruger.

WILLUNGA
In: Mitch Portlock (Coach - returns from Reynella), Scott Hunt, Daniel Lee (Christies Beach), Jack Burns, Job Colwell (returns from South), Alex Coombe.
Out: Aidan Stewart-England.

YANKALILLA
In: Luke Durdin, Xavier Gotch, Jono Lee (Kadina), Zac Edwards (Kadina), Joey Tyllis (South Adelaide), Connor Melloww (back from injury), Tom Bennett (back from work), Kane Hockley.
Out: Josh Barrass, Luke Bartlett.

Anyone else to add to the list of movement?

WOW !! that is a fair fisting to former club...or were they all juniors at McLaren :roll:

Yes that is a fair fisting.
Where do these new age coaches get of raping and pillaging former clubs.
Iljcesen did it to Morphett Vale. Bring theses players into your club and this is how they repay you.
There used to a unwritten law that coaches didn't do that.
Shame on Gianni and Iljcesen if thay think this is alright. Very selfish.

How many points do the GSFL teams get?
Some of these clubs have 8/9 recruits.
is there a salary cap?

McLaren’s ‘ins’

Codey Ellison - McLaren Junior 0 points
Sam Whitbread - McLaren Junior 0 points
Eyre White - only managed to play reserves at Reynella
Shaun Halliday - only managed to play reserves at Reynella
Billy Gregory - Morphett Vale Junior
Chris Bradwell - second year on McLarens list so would be a 2 point player I believe
Max Wakefield - unsure of his background

McLaren have averaged five minor round wins over the past three seasons.

I expect their Reserves to be very good this year with some of these ‘ins’ to play to spend some time in the Magoos.
by damian
Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

McLaren were unable to break the 1708 day drought against the Creeks going down by 38 points in the Grand Final re match.
As they did last week against E Bay, the Creeks jumped out of the blocks with 4 goals in the blink of an eye with the help of a myriad of 50m penalties for players not leaving the protected area quick enough as the umpires were RED HOT on it and continued to keep McLaren at arms length all day. Would also have been a record free kick count for the day i reckon as it seemed every 2nd tackle was either adjudicated as HTB or High contact. It was overkill which tested the patience of players from both teams. A Good win by the Creeks but keeping in mind McLaren did have quite a few players missing and also lost a player in the 2nd qtr with a serious knee injury it seemed. Both teams seems destined for Finals again tho nothing should be taken for granted. Only early days but i think we can safely rule out Goolwa/PE and Myp/Sellicks as Finalists whilst it may take another month or 2 before we can start ruling any more out given the potential evenness of the comp.
On a side note, the Creek Senior Colts have opened the season with successive Draws :shock: Anyone wanna back'm for 3 in a row?

It’s not just me that thinks the standard of umpiring has been piss poor then? One bloke I saw in the Reserves between Strathalbyn & Goolwa/Port Elliot is 100% the most inept umpire I’ve ever witnessed. That combined with a power trip to put most security guards seem like reasonable guys.

As for the footy;

Bays have both surprised and impressed me.
Yankalilla have improved out of sight thanks to recruiting.
Myponga have dropped off big time thanks to recruits leaving.
Victor looked better on paper, consistency and they’ll play finals.
Mount Compass lost four players, picked up four better ones.
McLaren have a better side on paper and will be very tough to beat when all fit and available.
Langhorne Creek were disappointing in round one, excellent round two.
Strath are quite good, but maybe 5-6 goals off the top three.
Willunga, much like Strath. Close, but not quite there at the moment.
Goolwa/Port Elliot are a 10 goal better side this year and will have a win very soon.

Early ladder predictions
Mount Compass
McLaren
Langhorne Creek
Victor Harbor
Willunga
Encounter Bay
Strathalbyn
Yankalilla
Goolwa/Port Elliot
Myponga

4th to 8th will be extremely close.
by damian
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

field of dreams wrote:
damian wrote:It was an umpires word against his

?

Umpires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry “wasn’t”
by damian
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So with the season about to get under way, whats peoples thoughts on who is most likely to challenge the Creeks for the Flag this year?
Creeks have pretty much retained all of last years team with a couple returning so they're not gonna come back to the field. The lure of equaling Club history of 4 successive Premierships has been a major motivational factor for them in their pre season i've heard.

Creeks are definitely the team to beat.

I like the inclusions at Bays & Compass which will see both at the pointy end of the field again I believe.

McLaren & Willunga have been pretty quiet in the off-season from what I’ve seen/heard but have good depth so definitely won’t fall out of finals contention.

Yankalilla & Strath are potentially a little weaker (on paper) than they were last year.

Pongy pretty similar I imagine while Victor could be struggling - although I have heard they’ve met/or are meeting with James Boyd and Seb Guilhaus. Considering the League just approved a $5000 loan for the club, they must’ve found $20k+ in the back pocket if they’re looking at recruiting these two.

My beloved Magpies have a lot of new faces, highlighted by Magic Raikiwasa & Zac Bates. Depth has really improved and they should halve the gap between them and the top sides.
by damian
Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

damian:
Compass points 2020 were 9 but had to play 2 colts at minus 1 point each to bring it back.
2021 should still be nine, applied concession and are now 11.
Went out and recruited 2 x 3point players & 1x 4 point player. = 10 points.
Carried over 4 points, Mott 2 and Haniford now 1? so now 13 points.
And again are having to play 2 colts to get them back to 11.
Flouting the rules.

Recruit first, apply for a concession second.

Giving all other Clubs one point off a player/one bonus point (however you want to look at it) is not acceptable. As far as I can see, there is only 1-2 other Clubs that this might benefit.

Use Victor as an example, they played round one with zero points, round two with six. They aren’t anywhere near their points allocation.

There is some big decisions to be made by the League and Club Presidents in the next few days.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
by damian
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This has the potential to open up a serious can of worms across every league in SA if this is not properly dealt with and parties outside of the league stepping in. If there are leagues who don’t agree with the points system coming in, all you need to do is look at this example and start making up exemptions. It’s not good!

I thought the Community Footy Board have an investigation team that address these issues and make ruling above the Leagues rules.

The SANFL are aware of the situation but yet to intervene. Are they pretending they don’t know anything about it or just as weak as the GSFL Execs?

Or maybe it's been looked into and they've ruled that it's ok. As ballbreaker said someone show some facts and not just salty keyboarders.

The facts are;

Mount Compass have been allocated 11 points for 2021.

Round One: Mount Compass played with 13 points.
Round Two: Mount Compass played with 12 points.
Round Three: Mount Compass played with 11 points, however Tom Dix played as a zero point player (should be a three pointer).
Round Four: No issue.
Round Five: No issue.
Round Six: Mount Compass played with 11 points, however Sam Haniford played as a one point player (should be a two pointer).

These are FACTS.

Now, we want to see FACTS from the GSFL or SANFL that says they have either approved Mount Compass to breach the Player Points Allocation or are going to be sanctioning the Club. They are keeping opposition Clubs and members in the dark and bringing the League into disrepute.

For me, the PPA is black and white. You cannot change a players points value. The League can increase a Clubs points allocation, but when Mount Compass have been made six consecutive finals series, to increase their points allocation would ludicrous.

Haniford has played senior football for North Adelaide, Tom Dix won a Mail Medal in 2017 - we’re not talking about fringe A Graders here either.

So, tell everyone what the ruling is or that it is still being investigated.
by damian
Sun May 16, 2021 9:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Mutton Cove
Is this true that your club received 3 extra points when your coach got there, seems you maybe living in a glass house hope you don't have a handful of stones :shock: :shock:

Let’s say McLaren did get three extra points in 2018 and look at the situations both clubs were in at the start of their respective seasons and how the adjusted points was handled by the League.

McLaren
2017 - 2 wins, finished last
2016 - 1 win, finished last
2015 - 4 wins, finished last
Three consecutive wooden spoons, an average of 2.3 wins a year in that time.

Applied for additional points to fast track their rebuild after struggling badly at the bottom of the table for three seasons. League approved additional points in the off-season and McLaren recruited based on those points.

Mount Compass
2020* - 5 wins, 1 draw, 3 losses, finished fourth after minor rounds. Lost Elimination Final.
2019 - 13 wins, 1 draw, 4 losses, finished second after minor rounds. Lost Qualifying Final, won Semi-Final, lost Preliminary Final.
2018 - 15 wins, 3 losses, finished minor premiers. Lost Semi-Final and Preliminary Final.
2017 - 12 wins, 6 losses, finished third after minor rounds. Won Qualifying Final, Semi-Final & Grand Final.
2016 - 15 wins, 3 losses, finished minor premiers. Won Semi-Final & Grand Final.
2015 - 15 wins, 3 losses, finished minor premiers. Lost Semi-Final, won Preliminary Final, lost Grand Final.

Completed their recruiting and prior to round one realised they had recruited too many players/points. Knowing they would be knocked back for asking for additional points, they apply to the League to have a played reduced by one point because he lives and works in the area. League approves this the night before round one and without notifying other Clubs.

The Club then plays another player as a 2pt player instead of 3. Plus, play a 3pt player as a 0 in another game.

Then applies to the League (on what grounds I do not know) to have this 3pt player approved as a 0pt player.

Rules are, that the League can increase/decrease a Clubs points allocation, but cannot decrease/increase an individuals points.

So tell me, who was in a situation for League assistance, McLaren or Compass? McLaren are not the only Club to have had their allocation increased in recent years, I believe Yankalilla have received additional points - but don’t quote me on that!

Mount Compass are playing with an extra recruit, quality recruit and potentially two if Tom Dix returns despite playing finals for six seasons and being a Premiership contender in five of those six.
by damian
Sat May 22, 2021 7:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Mount Compass will receive no penalties for playing two players with incorrect point allocations or for breaching their player points allocation in matches.
Sam Haniford stays as a 1pt player, down from 2pts due to living locally.
Tom Dix approved as a 0pt player despite playing football elsewhere in 2018 and 2019.

Goolwa/Port Elliot Women’s have been stripped of their premiership points and score for from Saturday’s win over McLaren due to playing an unregistered player. The player in question played for the Magpies before moving to Aldinga and playing 2020 for them before joining South Adelaide for the SANFLW season. A clearance was applied for from Aldinga so South could clear her to GPEFC. The player jumped online and registered during the week - because she was able to register it meant there was no pending clearance. She played, Pies won. Turns out there was already two SportingPulse registrations for this player and she used the wrong one to register. Seems a legit mistake, some would say similar to Compass making a mistake by playing over their points allocation or playing players with incorrect points to their name.

The loss of points was appealed to no avail.

As an isolated incident, the GSFL got this decision right, rules are meant to be black and white. But for them to be super lenient with Compass for A Grade mistakes but to penalise a Women’s team who are in just their second year of competition and therefore more likely to make mistakes is ridiculous.

Go and **** ya self Kevin Curran & Terry Corcoran.
by damian
Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The SANFL have been just as weak as the GSFL through all of this.
by damian
Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I guess I’ll point out the obvious….

Where’s all the Bulldogs? Pinyon, Ziggy Vitkunas, Nick Mott, Lewis Johnston, Matt Skrypek, Sam Haniford. Could arguably all be walk up starts, but none in the side - all injured? Bet they’re right for round 10. Yes, other Clubs have star players not selected, but not six.

There is no points limit in association lads, get amongst it.

Guess there’s also no player payments though.
by damian
Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

An honest mistake.

What was the mistake? Can you tell us what actually happened? From what I hear (could be severely exaggerated), it was a lot more than a simple mistake.

If it was a mistake, when will Goolwa/Port Elliot Women’s have their points reinstated?
So this is what happened:, McLaren were told that it was fine for the Crows player to play, but were unable to have completed the permit on time. They had hoped to get the OK from Myponga, under mutual agreement, but were unable to do so. So he sat on the bench until 1/4 time. Nothing wrong yet! The issue is when they (McLaren) replaced him with another player after the game had begun (at 1/4 time).
I agree, Goolwa's points loss is an over reach against a developing sport, given the multiple breaches in the league from experienced football people who DO know better.

Say on the bench until quarter time and nothing wrong with that? That still counts as playing. If you’re named on the team sheet, you don’t have to take to the field to have ‘played’ the game.

There’s two breaches;

1. Playing an unregistered player - James Mathews was registered with Adelaide, not McLaren and started the game on the bench and team sheet.
2. Altering a team sheet after a game has begun - swapping Mathews out for Mutton.
by damian
Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SOUTHERN DISTRICT MENS SQUAD

Aidan Baker - Morphett Vale
Tynan Carney - Flagstaff Hill
Riley Clamp - Strathalbyn
Tyler Davies - Reynella
Matt Dominish - Langhorne Creek
Brett Ellis - McLaren
Coby Helyar - Langhorne Creek
Lee Hoey - Christies Beach
Tyson Hoffman - Willunga
Cam Hutchens - Willunga
Shannon Jones - Langhorne Creek
David Kersley - Flagstaff Hill
Bailey Marshman - Reynella
Harrison Mills - Willunga
Ryan Mountford - Flagstaff Hill
Brad Patterson - Flagstaff Hill
Cohen Pettit - Encounter Bay
Max Renfrey - Flagstaff Hill
Sam Renney - Willunga
Callan Semple - Reynella
Angus Strangewitz - Aldinga
Sam Tharaldsen - Flagstaff Hill
Callum Tonkin - Encounter Bay
Matt Walton - Flagstaff Hill

As mentioned above, GSFL Captain Magic Raikiwasa and BOG Todd Miles out injured. Second best in the association match, Brodie Martin also missing from the team and Sam Kennedy who is debuting for Adelaide in the SANFL.

Six GSFL players that didn’t play for the GSFL selected in the squad.
by damian
Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

From conversations I’ve had this morning with various people, it appears Creek was found not guilty of umpire abuse because they couldn’t be certain who was yelling out.

Surely the Club is then fined? The Great Southern Sports post showed screenshots straight off the GSFL website, it’s nothing that’s unavailable to the public.
by damian
Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Righto, here we go. A draft of ins & outs that I could find on social media or via word of mouth. Please correct any errors & add to the list all the players missing.

Compass
Out: Nick Mott, Lewis Johnston.
In: Adam Hunter.

Creek
Out: James Sellar, Lachy McGregor, Tom Derham.
In: Tom Thunig, Nick Thunig, Ash Hunt, Jack Keynes.

Victor
Out: James Boyd, Seb Guilhaus, Brok Schubert.
In: Ben Yeomans, Heath Treloar, Kurt Lindner, Jordan Bohnsack, Harry Vincent, Jesse McKinnon, Lachy Borrillo, Nick Borrillo, James Bramley, Jackson Elmes.

Pongy
In: Jackson Roberts, Cooper Gilbert, Jaxon Sampson, Connor Sampson, Elliot Chalmers, Tom Carroll.

Yank
Out: Finn Betterman, Owen Woolford, Brad Thompson, Ben Gogel.
In: Ryan Fisher.

McLaren
In: Luke Caruso.

Bays
Out: Tarik Illingworth.
In: Marcus Lippett, James Brown, Corey Gamble (back from ACL), Tyler Baldock (back from injury), Jake Tarca.

Pies
Out: Zac Bates, Brad Prior, Damien Nangle, Todd Miles, Adam Hartlett, Sam Dunn.
In: Luke Wilson, Jordan Wilson-King, Myles Krakouer, Oscar McCann, Ben Jamieson, Dylan Kelly, Leo Harrison, Brian Gill, Jalen Pryor.

Strath
Out: Brodie Martin.

Willunga?

TRIAL MATCHES
Pongy touched up Happy Valley last weekend and looked to be the biggest improvers. Today the Maggie’s & Victor had a run at Victor oval. Both with some top end talent out so hard to get a good gauge. The Pies won 5/6 terms, the Roos dominated the fourth when their A’s came out fresh. Fifth & sixth terms slightly in favour of GPE.

Any other updates?
by damian
Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So the season is upon us. Thanks to damian, Local GSFL Man and Red Devil for the lists of ins and outs. Loving the new playhq :-Q :(

so guessing based on those that squad lists are...

Willunga: Even
Creek: even/worse
Mclaren: better
Compass: worse
Strath: even
Bays: even
Goolwa: even?
Yank: worse
Pongy: better
Victor: better

Guesses for round 1:

Compass v Willunga - Willunga
Pongy v McLaren - McLaren
Strath v Goolwa - Strath
Victor v Creek - Creek
Yank v Bays - Bays

I’ll have a go at this too.

Willunga: even.
Langhorne Creek: even (some big name outs, but the ins I think will be more than capable.
McLaren: better.
Compass: worse? Bit of an unknown, some big outs and Hunter in - I’m sure they’ll have some other ins that we haven’t heard of yet.
Strath: even.
Bays: better.
Magpies: even.
Yank: worse.
Pongy: better. The big improvers.
Victor: better.

Round One
Compass v Willunga - Demons by 5 goals
Pongy v McLaren - Eagles by 4 goals
Strath v Magpies - Magpies by 2 goals
Victor v Langhorne - Hawks by 8 goals
Yank v Bays - Eagles by 10 goals

Predicted Finishing Positions
1. Willunga
2. McLaren
3. Langhorne Creek
-
4. Encounter Bay
5. Mount Compass
6. Myponga
-
7. Strathalbyn
8. Goolwa/Port Elliot
9. Victor Harbor
-
10. Yankalilla

- I think you these three groups of three will be really close.
by damian
Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I’m having a crack at tomorrows tips amongst the covid chaos in a number of clubs.

Bays over Pongy 5 goals
Willunga over Yank 20 + goals
Mclaren over Goolwa 30 + goals
Compass over Creeks 2 goals
Victor over Strath by less than a kick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My crack;

Pongy over Bays by two goals.
Willunga over Yank by 25+ goals.
McLaren over GPE by 25+ goals.
Compass over Creeks by 5 goals.
Strath over Victor by 5 goals (Clamp best on).

Pongy over Bays by 35 points - no Ben Davis or Tyson Neale for Bays. Looked like Pongy may have had some out as well so pretty evenly matched these two sides.
Willunga by 112 points.
McLaren by 207 points.
Compass by 70 points.
Strath by 18 points and Clamp was best on ground.

As mentioned by someone else, Creeks had a few out that likely contributed to their loss, but I think Compass are the better side this season. Not a bad effort by Yank looking at that score line. As for GPE, with mass outs due to Covid it was always going to a battle against the bench mark side. Down a player 10 minutes into the game and then another before half time didn’t help but the game was well and truly over by quarter time.

Merrett, Grimley & Ellison up forward were too tall, strong & smart for their opponents and the sheer weight of inside 50’s made it even harder for the defenders. Redigolo is going to be very handy for the Eagles flag chances, not only for his ball winning ability and class, but the freedom he gives to Muff at times allowing him to get busy.

The Pies battled out the last quarter with 16 on the field at times.

Unfortunately I won’t get to see Willunga in action next week but McLaren are well and truly flag favourites right now.
by damian
Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So close, yet so far for the Pies today against The Advertisers feature Club of the week, highlighted for being undefeated for 600+ days.

Scores level at half time and in front at 3/4 time, the cream rose to the top in the last thought. McLaren kicking five goals to one for another close victory.

Pies taking some big steps ahead in the last few weeks. A big scalp shouldn’t be far away.
by damian
Sat May 27, 2023 7:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So close, yet so far for the Pies today against The Advertisers feature Club of the week, highlighted for being undefeated for 600+ days.

Scores level at half time and in front at 3/4 time, the cream rose to the top in the last thought. McLaren kicking five goals to one for another close victory.

Pies taking some big steps ahead in the last few weeks. A big scalp shouldn’t be far away.

It’s happened. After solid outings against Victor, Creeks and McLaren the Pies finally got their big scalp defeating Mount Compass at home.

This was on the back of their worst performance of the year, losing to Yankalilla last week. The Bulldogs have been taking their own scalps this season having beaten Pongy & Willunga already this year with narrow losses against McLaren.

First time GPEFC has beaten Mount Compass since Round 10, 2015. The Dogs went on to defeat the Pies in the Prelim before losing the GF. They then went back to back.

Thankfully for the Bulldogs, they are still in the box seat for fifth position with Langhorne Creek getting up over Strath.

For Goolwa/Port Elliot, it will all be about retaining their recruits and adding another 2-3 for next season and hoping to get some locals back - as mentioned in another post earlier this season, there is 9-10 ex players running around for Victor, might not get any back, but highlights the need to keep locals.
by damian
Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |