Search found 93 matches

Return

Re: SAAFL Division 2 2014

Upthefalcons wrote:PNU coming second in the poll. What's the information coming out of PNU? Have they recruited? Any big name players?

This means there is a fair amount of Payneham people on here!!! :lol:
by Footy Follower
Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL division 6 2014

Peter Scheuffele the new A grade coach at Rosewater

That's a very good get.

:shock: Spoke to Peter and the end of last season and congratulated him on an outstanding career....on what I understood to be his retirement from coaching....... Very surprising turn around but great news for Johnny Reardon and the Doggies....
by Cohiba
Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HFL Central Division

The Sorce wrote:I hope Mt Lofty have their Boxing Gloves ready if they are thinking of Joining an Amateur Division that low...... at that level its only about 20% actual football the rest is just fights and thugs running around looking to clean someone up!.

PFFFFTTTT.... Turn it up...
by the milky bar kid
Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ashes 3rd Test Perth Discussion

I could watch the flight of this ball over and over again:

by Q.
Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Draw

And that leads to an interesting question ... do people support a club or a competition?

From my pre-media days I certainly was more concerned about HOW my team played, rather that WHO my team played.
by PhilH
Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Draw

Ok, I will play devil's advocate here. Is anyone taking the positive view that this coming season will be the first time Glenelg, Central, North, West, South, Sturt, Eagles, and Norwood will play each other without AFL listed players since 1991? It is club versus club back to its purest form. Be kind.
by PatowalongaPirate
Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Magpies Are Now The AFL Power Reserves

Its 45.2 degrees out in the full sun at the moment nothing better than debating the AFL RESERVES debacle until the Power runs out lol.

Hey and no smart comments back that I am suffering from heat stroke LOL.
46.6 in the shade here in Alma...

... and I'm even putting water out for the poor suffering magpies here... poor buggers!
by csbowes
Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Magpies Are Now The AFL Power Reserves

Isn't it just a name change from Magpies to Power? The guernsey will change but it wont be the first time in Port Adelaide's history that the colours of their guernsey has changed
Essendon were the 'Dons before being known as the Bombers.
Fitzroy went from being known as the Maroons to the Gorillas to the Lions before amalgamating with Brisbane.
Richmond were the Wasps prior to being known as the Tigers.
Yes the Magpies might be dead but the Port Adelaide Footy Club will live on, and isn't that who people support?
Nah, I used to think that till proven wrong. The PAFC changed their name to the PAMFC so a new entity "the power" could use their business name.
The PAMFC is virtually dead and buried now by its own artificial creation, its a bit like Battlestar Galactica with the Cylons created by the humans all but wiping the makers out.
Or Frankenstein to a degree too.

Interesting point made there. The AFL certainly is big business and football clubs from grassroots country clubs to AFL clubs are run as such,as a business.

But a business (in the main) does not involve the passion and warfare created by football clubs.Some do,but not many. So for people on the outside looking in, the business has changed names and no longer represents what it previously did. Or does it?

For those on the inside, with a passionate vested interest, many things remain the same. I don't believe (and show me any letter head you want,I dont care) that the Magpies are dead. Sure, the line up of players changes, but that does pretty much every year anyway.

Sure the ultimate goal of the Magpies new structure is to best develop players for AFL football, but Garry Hocking and the players who take the field for the Magpies at SANFL level will be out there to win games, make no mistake. The Magpies, wearing black and white in the SANFL are Norwoods greatest foe, they have won more SANFL premierships than anyone else.

Many things have changed, many things have not.
by Booney
Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Crows Reserves 2014

it IS a development league
Your opinion.
this doesnt have to be a bad thing - amateur footballers mostly aspire to get games in the SANFL, that does not diminish the integrity of those amateur or country leagues.
Because they are at that standard. To pick them for the SANFL when they aren't up to that standard is what destroys the integrity of the league.

It is the arrogance of people like you who assert that, because the SANFL is not as good as the AFL talent-wise, it is okay for the AFL clubs to use it for their own ends, and in general take a dump on it, that really infuriates SANFL fans.

Nice one RB i agree. You have to earn a spot at a sanfl club, Not get gifted one because of injury to a senior afl player. The player from the country or wherever isnt up to the reqired league standard then gets badly injured what happens to him then?
It shouldnt be a development league!
Most SANFL club members pay to watch and support their clubs with passion, because it isnt the same game as the robotic, over officiated afl.
Now we have to put up with playing meaningless games against 2 teams that are not there for the same reason as the established clubs.
Players now risk injury (which could impact on their working life) in these meaningless games.
People like you BM have endorsed the SANFL as a meat market for the big show. Hope you are proud of yourself.
by tigerpie
Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Crows Reserves 2014

I think most of us would prefer, in a perfect world, an independent AFL reserves competition- which leaves the state leagues be.
by valleys07
Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 1 2014

nah, don't listen to MMM anymore and if that's where you heard it, maybe it's not true then :lol:
by Footy Chick
Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Southern Football League

Only way to get good umpires is if the people complaining about how bad the umpires are, take up umpiring themselves. Especially the loud w@kers on the sidelines, they usually are the best coz they know everything. Unfortunately those people never take up umpiring coz they are too gutless.
by cracka
Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 3 2014

How does this happen to a club in such a high div and recent success, is this a case of players going elsewhere for more cash

Tough thing about trying to buy loyalty but forgetting to actually pay up.

You don't tend to get it.

I think it was mentioned in an earlier post, but the population of Kilburn has changed with the influx of refugees who don't play footy. Having that change of population has really hurt Kilburn, so without the locals to play at the club I guess they've had to recruit players with cash. Although I don't think its not a new thing for Kilburn to offer players a decent sized match payment. However, as we have all witnessed, players that come to your club on the back of being offered a decent pay packet can quickly move on if offered a bigger one elsewhere.

On the flip side, you look at Modbury and TTG where there's been a growth in population over the years and from that they field 4 senior sides each (I think) and copious amounts of junior teams.

Undoubtedly it's hard being in an area with either an aging population, or being in an area where for other cultural reasons people aren't playing football.

But take your club Suri, it's hardly an area filled with young families but your junior football club contains great numbers every year (although you presumably have a problem hanging onto those juniors with Old Colls sides chomping at the bit).

Additionally look at the number of clubs in the northern suburbs within a few drop punts of one another. Some have managed to set up fantastic junior programs (Eastern Park, Salisbury).

Where there's a will there's a way.

If you've come to the point that the Committee has decided that cash in the only way to continue to field competitive football sides and have given up on fielding junior sides then you're effectively just treading water in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Eventually you're going to drown.
by jo172
Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A question I would ask Kilburn:

How have you worked with the AFL or Auskick to encourage these folk to try our great game. Areas of Sydney have whole teams of muslim women playing the game.

If a non AFL state can attract that type of competition from women, no less, who in any other life wouldn't even be allowed out of the house, how is it that Kilburn haven't been able to do the same with people that in theory, would be a great pick up in anyones side for height and pace.

A magnificent example of this is the young lad from Woody South - Ramah Ahmed - the kid is a great player and I think only about 19?
by Footy Chick
Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I've heard things are on the move at Kilburn today. Sad.......
Spose i'll get the facts out there before the rumour mill kicks into over drive today.
1. Greg Phillips has officially resigned as head coach of Kilburn
2. The club has already identified possible candidates and are confident of finding a suitable replacement by early next week at the latest.
3. Kilburn will remain in D3 this season, although the possibility of a bye in D3R is still a distinct possibility, however the club is still hopefully of 2 sides and will know more in the coming days/week.
4. The club has in the vicinity of 35-40 players signed.

Good day, and happy Friday everyone, enjoy the long weekend :)

Spoke to an old cricket team mate of mine who's plays at Kilburn now and he confirmed point 3. He also mentioned that the club is still able to entice players to the Chics as the club's finances are still in a good place, although this is the reason they are in their current predicament.

With Matt Whelan bailing out on Brahma Lodge, and Phillips on Kilburn it questions if some coaches are their for the right reasons. Facing such an exodus of players no doubt was the deciding factor as it appears they (the coaches) weren't prepared to undertake the challenge of building a team from the ground up. In their case it seems clear it is not what they signed on for in the first instance.

It does suggest that football no matter what level, highlights (IMO) that loyalty and duty for many "guns for hire" is unto themselves and not a Club. As pointed out in many posts if its money path a Club elects to take to achieve success, then you have to cop the consequences that follow.

Props to Kilburn on point 3. Suri for facing up to what will be a tough season in Div 3 and if Brahma Lodge had opted to stay up it may have been a useful learning curve for them.
by Cohiba
Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL division 5 2014

Twice sides have been dropped into our (North Haven) division and twice they have made a GF and we have finished third but i think this time it will be different by the sounds of things.

Well for starters I don't fancy our chances of finishing top 3 but i would hate to finish 9th and them 8th

Being relegated is a moot point. By all reports Glenunga were building a very good side that would have likely finished above ninth anyway. D5 just eliminated a serious contender.

Do you think people at Glenunga might be a bit peeved that they were gearing up for a run at the premiership, and now they're gonna be fighting to make finals in Div 4.
No, they would have declined the offer

No, they have at a minimum guaranteed themselves a spot in Div 5 in 2015, or at best a spot in Div 3
by Look Good In Leather
Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Essendon 2014

I reckon Hird has designed this so that he does get sacked so that he gets this year and the next 2 years pay. He would've been stupid to resign and give up all that cash.
I think people are giving Hird and his wife too much credit for being smart,
by daysofourlives
Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Crows 2014

There aren't enough gifs in the world to express how hilarious that is.

It's the airport all over again.

i for one would love to see this kind of thing introduced here...

look at the EPL and listen to their crowds chanting. It sounds amazing when they all start with the same chant. do you reckon they just wing it or have organised 'practice' sessions to nut out new chants?!?

a bit of tall poppy syndrome creeping in here methinks...

No, English soccer fans don't rehearse. That's tradition, not manufactured support. Someone in marketing at the Crows needs to concentrate on selling merchandise. It's cringe worthy at best.

Did you not listen to what they were wailing? I'm guessing a few Crow supporters will be telling them to stfu.

no i didnt listen to what they were chanting, i could imagine though...

at least they are trying something outside the box to get behind their side. if it fails then so be it, but you watch if it takes off every club will get on it too!

RE the lyrics - i'm sure if it does take off then some lyrical genius will come up with witty lines and catchy tunes, until then it is what it is
by nuggety goodness
Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just how close to this are you PG?
We have our Ladies Day planned for that day. KFC and SAAFL won't reply to our queries. Should we be worried?
Ladies Day = important financial and associated benefits for our club.

I'm sure you're social event is number one priority for the Kilburn committee and big wigs at SAAFL house.
by Q.
Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So to get to what matters, how are Unley feeling about their lady's day?
by jo172
Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Clubs in strife

is for the side winning..
by woodublieve12
Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Clubs in strife

Well I didn't. I'd be lying if I didn't say it was a small factor in why I gave up playing at the age of 23....
Should've worked harder and pushed into the B grade then ;) :lol:

I like PNU's setup for triple headers - they play the C grade after the A grade in the evening

Our C graders would never stand for having to remain sober for so long on a Saturday :lol: ;)
by Footy Chick
Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Phantom Gossiper wrote:My mail this evening is final nail in the coffin... "The Chics are dead, long live the Chics.." :(

At least Unley got their Ladies Day ;)
by Q.
Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 2 2014

Nothing wrong with Walkerville pushed us all the way and were still leading in the last quarter when our guys just dug in deep for the win.
Thought the Walkerville monkey on our back was going to continue. We may not have played them in 39 years but they are one a very few clubs that have a winning record against us 18-11 their way.

As I said before they will be around the mark and their 1st win is not far away they will trouble quite a few sides before the seasons over, looking forward to the return bout will be another bumper crowd and close game that's for sure.
by FOURTH ESTATE
Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Demetriou to stand down after 2014 season

job No.2 - Bring the game back to the people by reducing ticket prices
by mighty_tiger_79
Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

bennymacca wrote:Our main issue was our delivery into the forward line, and just run in general

No, your main issue is that you have a crap list and players who think they are better than they really are - which is average at best...
by Ruben Carter
Sun May 04, 2014 7:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

mal wrote:"They have been doing it since 1991
Its in their DNA."

Port supPORTer
On talk back radio
Discussing why Adelaide barrackers left the game , before the end, against Melbourne

Comedy gold, a port supporter taking the higher ground re how to support.
#realshortmemory #tarps
by Spargo
Mon May 05, 2014 2:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Round 9 Discussion

Betts much better in second half.

Pressure was awesome all day
by bennymacca
Thu May 15, 2014 10:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Round 9 Discussion

bennymacca wrote:Jpod played a gun game. Was everywhere. Smith, danger, sloane all great.
Awesome first game by Cameron too.

My best for the crows in order would be ;

Danger
Keefe
Cloke
Jenkins
Smith
Goldsack
JPod
by carey
Thu May 15, 2014 11:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Worst AFL media person..

On the flipside of worst media personality (Taylor and Russell by a freakin mile), I was never a Matty Lloyd fan as a player, as great as he was, but I really like him in the media. Calls a spade a spade and raises some pretty good points imho.

droll, boring, personality-less and inflamatory are words I'd use to describe him.
by gadj1976
Wed May 28, 2014 2:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Zones in football

There are not enough curses in any language for the originator of this idea.
May their goats get mange.
by finn
Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So predictably Essendon resort to the courts.

If they truly believe they did nothing wrong then why don't they just try to clear their name and their players?

Simple, they have too much too hide so are trying to get out of it with via a legal technicality, if they they can find one.

Disgraceful.

The AFL should consider further sanctions against the club for bringing the game into disrepute.
by dedja
Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 13 - live scores, results & general hoo-ha.

I reckon Sam Lane goes alright.
by carey
Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Worst AFL media person..

When there is a game and one of the teams have been struggling to win games,the commentators always to take the side of the underdog team.BT i did think was a good commentator a few years ago but he does get way too carried away,heard earlier in season that channel 7 want the saturday night team to be funny throughout the game and give BT free reign.The only media people that annoy me are the ones that whinge all the time,Patrick Smith news articles dont read them anymore,Robert Walls when he calling.

I agree with all 5 points in that post even the used to like BT years ago and then he turned to shit and then I met the arrogant pig and now his commentary is ear poison.

Robert Walls would actually make my plane to the sun. Can't stand the bloke.
by wristwatcher
Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Well played North supporters

Getting pissed and abusing the opposition. The only thing North supporters have done for 20 years..... :lol:
by Booney
Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

bennymacca wrote:Since when do they have no hope of beating the sides? Norwood just spanked the crows

Unfortunately the SANFL comp is now decided by the amount of injuries, and attitude of the AFL teams.
by whufc
Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

IMO being one dimensional is a sign that one cannot coach. he has had the same game plan/ style running in his short stay at the crows to date. A non-football fan could see that Ziebell was absolutely pantsing Thompson on the weekend, but there was nothing even remotely close to being done about it.

If Sando is to stay in the top job, we as crows supporters have a little bit of hurt coming our way over the next year or two. Unless there are some drastic changes or a hail mary pops up for us.

Leaving Dangerfield up forward in the last quarter a couple of weeks ago was another blunder IMO.

Continually picking Matthew Wright is another!
by Sorry Dude
Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I saw the Modbury v Iggies B grade game yesterday and i wouldnt begrudge the Hawks fans if they thought the umpires had a part to play in their loss. One ump gave away a few very soft 25m penalties late in the last quarter when the ball was on the half forward line for the Hawks.

But in saying that, Iggies were still able to kick 3 goals in the last 5 or so minutes to win by a few points. If Modbury can make it through to the GF it'll be a good game to watch

Modbury cannot complain about the standard of umpiring at reserves level...
by woodublieve12
Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: We Need You South

Norwood v Port Grand Final, the best thing for the SANFL in any era.
Sorry Boon man I think you will find pre 1900 South V Norwood were the marquee games.
My memory is good, not that good. ;)
Can you remember back as far as 2013

Sure can, Norwood ripped North a new one in the GF. Was good to watch.
by Booney
Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

In the last 20 minutes of the game, the way a group of about ten modbury supporters was a disgrace. Throwing full cans of beer over the players race towards unley supporters.
The main culprit was a bloke with a dirty mustache and small dreads.

Was away from this action, but the way I heard it was the opposite. So there you have it, two different stories. No arrests, no one thrown out, lots of security on, perhaps it was all a beat up.

Why would someone throw full cans of beer? What a waste or beer and money.
unless it was VB. ..
by Footy Chick
Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

And this has never happened before, a player play against his old club?

Whinge thread indeed.
by Booney
Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 SANFL GRAND FINAL NORWOOD V PA RESERVES

Punchy Bassett wrote:So will Koch be demanding that never tear us apart be played before the game?

What distresses me is I used to like that song before the wharfies got hold of it. :(
by Dog Day Afternoon
Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Finals - week # 3.

No biggie but is the worst display of boundary throw ins you have ever seen?
by daysofourlives
Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 SANFL GRAND FINAL NORWOOD V PA RESERVES

dedja wrote:Freddie was at the club after the Bays beat Port in the last minor round, hanging out with the Tonys ... faark knows where Harold Holt is though.

And I'm not sure Fester got the humility memo ... :lol:

Getting it, reading it and comprehending it are vastly differing beasts. ;)
by Booney
Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Suri wrote:Its a better design then the last one, although they could always go with this simple design. But simple and logical are not strong suits of Nigel Smart.

Id describe Nigel Smart as simple.
by HH3
Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Norwood & the salary cap

Wedgie wrote:Good to see so much red and white on a premiership cap.
Is white Norwoods answer to the Powers turquoise?

Nah the white represents the colour of the flag North put up during the last quarter of the 2013 GF ;)
by legsman
Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

titus o'reily

The AFL says any player who boycotts the NAB Challenge faces a year's pay, a family vacation in France and a free business course.
by woodublieve12
Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Club Finances

Wedgie wrote:New AO deal shouldn't reduce the SANFL's income, just empower the AFL clubs to get off their arses and do a bit more to earn money.

Possibly the funniest thing I've read on the interweb this year.
Grow the pie hey.
by TimmiesChin
Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 2 - 2015

Bombers4EVA wrote:So how's everyone pre-season's going? Our's a going very well with awesome numbers and everyone putting in the hard yards. We're pretty much into full swing now. Which is good. Gotta love the training nights when it's 35 degrees or more. Sweat sweat sweat.

Go Walkerville
by Jetters
Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Anzac Day

Looking forward to our big clash tomorrow with Walkerville at Walkerville

One of their Veterans reading the Ode
Live Bugler
They have also arranged for some one to sing the National Anthem

The coin toss will be done by using a Two-up Kip

Anzac medals for the best player in all three games named afterThe Late former Walkerville player / trainer and WWII Veteran Don McClaren which will be presented by his wife

The Two clubs will also be playing for the North Adelaide District Football Association Memorial Trophy & the NADFA Medal for the Most Valuable Player on the day

The Trophy represents the former league in which both sides played in as Broadview's first ever game in 1928 which was against Walkerville.

Going to be a huge day as two local rivals with great histories get it on. If anything like both of last years games it will go down to the wire!!!!!!!
by FOURTH ESTATE
Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |