Search found 20 matches

Return

Re: River Murray Football League talk

been there done that wrote:When do clearances start to be posted?

1st of feb is the date they can start to be lodged
by grasshopper22
Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Country Footy - Trial Games - season 2014 - discussion

That'd be interesting if Fitzroy and Meningie hooked up, we've played both teams with a 1-1 win ratio so would be interesting to see the outcome.
Was a great hit out on the week end, really enjoyed how hard both teams where going at the ball, however we should have 6 of our top 10 players back this week so are expecting to field a much stronger side against Uradlia, hopefully we can return the trial against you guys next yr. Will be in touch at the end of the season.
by grasshopper22
Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HFL Central Division

Champ eat a snickers mate!!
by grasshopper22
Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: APPS Country Football

Some of you may not have read this recently in the Murray Vallee standard. Will be interesting to hear the feedback as I think James Moore as worded this perfectly and said what a lot of us are thinking.

http://www.murrayvalleystandard.com.au/story/2344804/moore-to-the-point-meningie-coach-backs-country-recruiting/?cs=1653
by grasshopper22
Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: APPS Country Football

Player payments are a vicious circle... but at the end of the there are mutiple factors to blame:

1. Clubs are willing to pay big $$$$
2. Players happily put their hand out of excessive payments
3. The APPS

1 - The harsh reality is, while clubs are prepared to pay these $ amounts, there will always be a demand, and while I understand the ramifications around clubs not competing in the 'Meat market', the fact still remains, if every club made a stand, this wouldn't be an issue. Why is it still an issue, because clubs don't care about anyone but themselves, and sometime they are killing themselves anyway in their pursuit of success. So all this talk about side deals etc wouldnt be a problem if EVERY club made a stand on principle and stuck to the payment limits. Will this happen, no, and the second ONE club goes outside the boundries, the rest will follow in a heart beat.

Fact still remains, if clubs didnt pay it, problem wouldn't exist!

2 - Now whilst I like the idea of loyalty to your club etc, the generation of today do see things like when I was a kid, so I don't really care if they want to keep swapping clubs to play with mates, moved towns etc etc. Where things have got out of hand is the comfort levels of blokes asking for money. Blokes staying at clubs for a year or two until a better offer comes along etc. Now while money is important to all of us, when blokes are weighing up one club over another for something like $50 difference per game, your kidding yourself young fella. What gets worse now, is blokes going back and forth between clubs they offered me $500 if you give me $550 I'll play for you etc. And asking for sign on fees, your a country footballer, you dont deserve sign on fees, if you were as good as you think you are you wouldn't be playing country footy! But it also haapens at the bottom end, kids 18,19,20 asking for $50 a game ply petrol money.... How about you just get a kick and become a regular A grade player mate, then if the club wishes to reward you then so be it, but at the minute, you should be thanking the club for letting you play there and the opportunity to play A grade footy, not putting your hand out. But again, if you go back to point 1, if clubs are happy to throw it around, would you say no if they offered it to you?

3 - The Point system was put in place to limit player movement, mainly driven by the ametuers worried about blokes goin to the country. In a system that is so slawed as this one and one the ammo's dont actually buy into, all it his done is make their plight worse. Most country clubs had an import rule of some description, relevant to their league and surroundings, that possibly wasn't perfect but workied more often than it didnt. The new points system has dramatically chaged rectruiting 3 ways:
a) placing the basic 'points' system creates a value on every player, unfortunately that value is way to uneven. for example, someone at Sturt last year may have played 7 league games, 9 reserves games for the year, effectively making him a 3 point player. Then a young kid, 18 plays back pocket for Sedan-Cambrai last year, pretty average kid but due to depth issues, plays 9 A grade games and 7 B grade games, he is also a 3 point player. What the system is telling you, that a bloke who played nearly half a season at SANFL league level is the same value to a team as a average kid whos realistically a B grader in Hills Country division.
b) While the ammo's continue to offer EVERY team 15 points every year no matter what, the APPS is not a one fits all system, and therefor forces country clubs to look for players. Perfect example, Goody Saints, Div 1 champions for 3 or 4 years, every single year they had 15 points to play with, whilst every 'points' player is reduced by 1 each year, meaning the system actively encourages them to continue to recruit (and you don't hear Ammo clubs whinging about that), yet Tanunda 4 flags on the trot and the points system allows them 3 points in the BLG, so providing all their current players are 0 pointer they can recruit 1 bloke, but if they have points players from the previous year, no room for recruiting there. So when country clubs aer limited to the volume of players they cn recruit, they have to make an extra effort to draw said player to their club rather than lose it to someone else, hence good clubs only target the best players available, which brings me to point 3
c) even if every club has the same $ Budget to work with, the points system actively drives up the prices of players without the player actually having to do anything. Lets say an ammo club has $50k to spend as does a country club. Ammo club has 15 points (5x3 point players) so they have on average $10k to spend on each player, then the country club only has 6 points to play with (2x3 point players), yet still has the $50k budget, effectively having an allowance of $25k per player to spend. So while that is really simplified, the APPS system actively allows/encourages the country club to spend more to maximise the value of their 3 point player.

So while i could elaborate further on each point, and I'm happy to if anyone wants to on a certain point, the reality is, evan as little as say 7 years ago, player payments would have only been around half of what they are now, what has changed, the APPS came in, created an uneven meat market, drove player prices up, now it is what it is.

But with a well managed points system at executive level in that league, the only way it's viable is, if the stronger teams keep getting less and lesser points, after 4 or 5 yrs with the points system in our league we are starting to see the affects and the evening up of the comp. also the points system has stopped teams recruiting 10+ a yr to buy a premiership, agreed value has gone up on the good players but that's because clubs are being smart and trying to get the best player they can for those points. The system just needs tinkering with but I don't think these drastic changes of some sort of $$ cap will work and I don't personally agree with it.
by grasshopper22
Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Great Southern Football League

Here's an article from another perspective, recently in the murray Vallee standard.

http://www.murrayvalleystandard.com.au/ ... g/?cs=1653
by grasshopper22
Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HFL Central Division

I'm an outsider but gee this relegation shit does my head in flicking through it, that's all that's talked about every week.
by grasshopper22
Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Fidgey the greatest of them all run out of ammo for bagging opposition players midway through the year ... Too many soft players against a team full of desperate and hard "locals" haha

I thought Grasshopper would have claimed his reward but he must still be partying pretty hard!

I thought I'd better get a couple of hours sleep before I posted haha. Yes what an amazing win it was Saturday and to be able to bury them in the end was ever so pleasing. Yes the roosters have some good blokes in there team, but there coaching panel is a joke. And as many others on here have said before. Does any substance ever come out of fidges mouth? Or is it just bagging and abuse to opposition players. He clearly had one game plan though as Fentons head was nearly removed several times throughout the day, but no one even did that properly, he still amassed 44 possies and winning the way we did, when there's a coach carrying on the way he does. Gee it's sweet. And our boys thrive on it, if he couldn't pick that up.

This premiership is so significant to so many people, and something the whole club has been hungry for, for a long time now. No doubt recruiting the right players in this year has been a massive part of this. But a team full of best mates on and off the field goes a bloody long way.

I thought Jervois hosted the GF very well. Huge crowd, good food, cold beer and we had a massive support base present.

Meningie Bears Premiers 2014
by grasshopper22
Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think the points are a bit unfair on Tailem & Jervois this year, I reckon Tailem should have a couple more & Jervois maybe +1, I would almost go as far as to say we should have only 6 & Imps 7 but don't tell anyone I said that

Also Grassy, to say you have all these loyal recruits is surely a joke! You have had more players thru that club over the last 4 years than I have had home cooked meals. Just cos you have had a couple in the last a few seasons & now these 3 coming back does not mean you have a great culture. Sure its improving, but when the cash dries up then see how many of them hang around for some petrol money and a few beer vouchers.

And yes, Fidge is a loud mouth which he needs to curb but his assistant isn't a whole lot better BUT the bloke can coach. Remember that most people predicted we would finish outside the top 3 with the players we lost from last year & we made it to the final hurdle. Sure we got pumped, but it was by a team that was as good as any that I have watched in years

Obviously not including the players that came through in the motlop experiment, only 1 still remaining who came with Moore anyway and that was stone. He will now be staying for his 3rd season, along with Brunoli, Arbon, Benbow, Rossi. These blokes could have quiet easily left when the times where tough but no they stuck it out and worked harder, and have now been rewarded after 5 yrs for that loyalty.

Keep chewing on them sour grapes and looking for excuses Biff. Heard your presentation night was full of surprises, firstly Liam winning and secondly your coach and others still bagging opposition teams, oh hang on that's not surprising at all is it.
by grasshopper22
Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Plains Football League

Not sure if it has been posted on here.
But I just saw these 2 links on the SANFL thread.
Hamley losing 4 of their best players
Stribling, Duncan and Thach to Kaniva-Leeor FC

http://www.mailtimes.com.au/story/2728635/kaniva-leeor-signs-former-afl-listed-toby-stribling-three-others/

Dowdell to Eastlake FC
http://m.canberratimes.com.au/sport/act-sport/eastlake-sign-former--crows-rookie--ben-dowdell-20141129-11wopz.html

Those 3 + that Seb that are going to kaniva, there weekly payments would be $4,000 a week on just those 4 players! :shock: hardly worth it in my opinion. try double that buddy
by grasshopper22
Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I am glad they are known as the Bears as they have stuff all to do with Meningie, absolute joke , not much fun winning a gf, struggling for money , no locals , no future, this is going to be a memorable couple of seasons for the bears. Shame on the president of the league and life member of Meningie , (sorry bears)!!!!!! to allow such an exploitation of points and the system. The coach must also enjoy doing nothing , embarrassing for all involved.

Your a dead set flog used to be! Your one of these people that all you do is criticise, you probably bring your own esky into the footy, sit by yourself and yell at your own players when things don't go right and give all the advise in the world to clubs(including your own) behind your alias. Yet I bet you have never actually been a committee member or anything similar.
by grasshopper22
Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm led to believe the player is allocated the maximum points for that league until a player points declaration is sent to the league with the player history and signature. So my guess is that the asterisk means that this hasn't been done.
by grasshopper22
Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wow well what a game of footy that was in the A's today at Goolwa. Would have to be right up their with one of the best games of country footy I've seen. Played at an extremely high standard and would be fair to say that their wasn't one easy ball get for the entire game. After strath kicking the first 3 it was tight from then onwards for the entirety of the match and it really could have gone either way.
by grasshopper22
Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Round 3 Guesses

E Bay easily over Victor by 76 points
Mt Compass to break the ice with a narrow win over the Mudlarks 14 points
Willunga will be a touch too good for McLaren 22 points
If Yank are to play Finals they need to beat Goolwa/PE Yank by 25 points
Creeks despite missing a few talls this week are faves to get over Strath by 20 points My tips

Bays by 62 points
Pongy by 7 points
Willunga by 13 points
Yank by 43 points
Creeks by 24 points

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
by grasshopper22
Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bays played outstanding footy in the 1st half today. (As good as they’ve played for a number of years) They did what they needed to early to take the game away from Pongy before they got a sniff on their home deck. After Pongy won the toss and kicked with a strong breeze it was all the Bays kicking into a head wind out scoring the mudlarks 4 goals to 1 in the first and then took that momentum into the 2nd banging through 7 big ones to 1. The mudlarks came out with more intensity in the second half and had a crack. The second half was an even contest.

One thing I noticed today is that Pongy have more coaching staff than any SANFL or AFL clubs this year. As a spectator it was hard to tell who was the coach at times.

Bays had a couple of injuries in the second half, hopefully they can get through training and front up next week in what shapes to be a very important game for both clubs. (Yank v EB)

by grasshopper22
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yank back to it old ways or did they have a few out ?

5 first choice A Graders out but wasn’t the reason they lost the way they did. Which first choice players where missing Tiger? Must say I thought that game was going to be much closer. Looks as though Willunga still had some key players missing also. Warmington, Hunt to name a couple. Has Brian Fenton fronted up this year for the Demons?

Great contests at the Bay yesterday in both senior grades. Two very good games in trying conditions.
Mclaren looked all over the Bays early in the Ones but missed some pretty straight forward set shots early and didn’t have the lead that they could have. Bays hung in there and got their game going in the second quarter and Mclaren found it very hard to break through their set up and move the ball fluently from one end to the other as they did early on.
Number 12 I think it was for Mclaren yesterday the one that runs around like he has tennis balls under his armpits, he would have to make supporters cry weekly wouldn’t he? Gee he’s undisciplined and does some stupid things in the defensive half, more times that not they result in goals to the opposition.

Huge game next week in the context of the season for both Encounter Bay and Strathalbyn. Strath looked to have a lot of key players missing yesterday. Martin, Simmons, Greenbank, Pegler, Duffield to name a few obvious ones who have been playing in recent weeks. So I wouldn’t be reading to much into the result against Compass with those outs.

by grasshopper22
Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

4 games- team of the year. That’s a joke.

And 2 of those games he didn't play after half time because of injury

Yes, one would think playing at least 6 or 7 games out of the 9 would make the T.O.Y more creditable but who knows , maybe games played had nothing to do with the criteria of being selected ?

Creek and E Bay have previously met only once in a Grand Final and that was the Creeks debut year in the GSFL in 1978. Coming off 3 flags in a row in the HFL the Creeks made it 4 on the trot in defeating the Bays 18 - 7 to 11 - 16 at Port Elliot

Saturdays decider is set to be played in warm and windy conditions where winning the toss and capitalizing on kicking with a strong Northerly could go a long way in determining the result. Hopefully the wind forecast is wrong as it would be unfortunate that one bad quarter with or against the win could determine the outcome for either side. Would be great to see near perfect conditions and two strong sides going hard at it.

by grasshopper22
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

damian:
Compass points 2020 were 9 but had to play 2 colts at minus 1 point each to bring it back.
2021 should still be nine, applied concession and are now 11.
Went out and recruited 2 x 3point players & 1x 4 point player. = 10 points.
Carried over 4 points, Mott 2 and Haniford now 1? so now 13 points.
And again are having to play 2 colts to get them back to 11.
Flouting the rules.

Recruit first, apply for a concession second.

Giving all other Clubs one point off a player/one bonus point (however you want to look at it) is not acceptable. As far as I can see, there is only 1-2 other Clubs that this might benefit.

Use Victor as an example, they played round one with zero points, round two with six. They aren’t anywhere near their points allocation.

There is some big decisions to be made by the League and Club Presidents in the next few days.

WATCH THIS SPACE.

How impotent is this league and its delegates.
They make decisions at a league level only to have a posse of presidents get together
throw the toys out of the cot and over rule their own delegates and league representatives.

So who’s more pathetic here.
League president
League secretary
League delegates
Club presidents or the score board kid

I’d trust the score board kid before any of the above tools. Giving other clubs an extra point coming into round 1 is laughable, they all had their recruiting done and dusted months earlier using their allocated points.

by grasshopper22
Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I’m having a crack at tomorrows tips amongst the covid chaos in a number of clubs.

Bays over Pongy 5 goals
Willunga over Yank 20 + goals
Mclaren over Goolwa 30 + goals
Compass over Creeks 2 goals
Victor over Strath by less than a kick

by grasshopper22
Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |