Search found more than 5483 matches

Return

Re: Things that you rate!

Meeting cracka today, hell of a nice bloke.

Prancing Pony Lager and ale in the Oakbank marquee.
Great to meet you too & Mollies parents. How good was it when the girls came over. I probably embarrassed my daughter but that's what dads are for.
Came in to ask how the man date went, nice read fella’s.
by Lightning McQueen
Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2022 AFL Season

Yeah as of now I've got my top 4 as

Melbourne DAYLIGHT
Brisbane
Western Bulldogs
Sydney

Then throw a bag over St Kilda, Fremantle, Carlton, Geelong, Richmond who i think we will be 'ok' for a large part of the season. Then there is the Crows, Collingwood and Hawks who are decent now but I expect to fade as the season goes on.

We're not decent.

You're in the "bunch of young lads having a red hot crack" pool, this is the footy I like to watch, every game all these young lads play is a game more experience.

As much as it saddens me to see a statesman like Sloane get a LTI it really is a blessing in disguise, you're not winning the flag this year so you may as well pencil in a year that you will have good tilt at it, it all starts now. you have some good kids coming through atm.
by Lightning McQueen
Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I need to know....

Spargo wrote:
I knew a bloke who’s sister found a suitcase in a lane way in the Melbourne CBD about 25 years ago. It had half a million dollars cash inside & some bank paperwork. She returned it to said bank. They gave her a Fasta Pasta voucher…

So they punished her for doing the right thing?
by Lightning McQueen
Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

whufc wrote:I didn't realise umpire abuse and grown men throwing the dummy out of the cot was actually part of the game. The 'game' is better for players getting on with doing what their paid do.....play the game.

Go and watch a low grade ammo's game.
by Lightning McQueen
Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Putting my community umpire hat on.

Arms out doesn't particularly worry me as its pretty harmless provided theirs isn't anything verbal associated with it which contravenes the following

18.8.2 Free Kicks - Umpires
A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player or Official who:
(a) uses abusive, insulting, threatening or obscene language towards an Umpire;
(b) behaves in an abusive, insulting, threatening or obscene manner towards
an Umpire;
(d) disputes a decision of an Umpire;

The AFL is trying to address the issue of falling participation in the umpiring ranks. to me they are taking the path of least resistance thinking reducing abuse in community footy will attenuate the decline in umpire numbers.

Maybe increasing the pay for umpiring junior footy (especially 18s) and B grade where most of the issues are may help.

A grade community umpiring is generally pretty good pay but to get less money for doing a 17s and B grade in SA community footy compared to one A Grade game is poor.

The situation that is current right now is you have older less fit and less competent umpires doing those games and given the lack of discipline and skill at those levels the potential for flare ups is higher compared to A grade community footy.

Genuine question, if pay was the same for an A Grade and B Grade game would you see umpires only wanting to umpire the b grade games due to the perceived less pressure.

I would imagine umpiring b grade footy though has much harder decision making given the sloppier nature, albeit you would need to cover a lot less distance due to the slower speed of a b grade game.

B grade games are shorter and don't have time on.

A grade games are easier to umpire because of the skill level, you cop more shit from the sidelines because more people are there and they've drank more alcohol by then, the players are a bit more savvy in their approach to questioning free's. The hardest part is the switch on a wide oval, you can think you're in the right spot for the next play but then get caught out as they have the skills to back themselves for a switch, there are generally a lot less free kicks.

Country B Grade is good fun though, there's couple of loose cannons that get around so I usually run over to them in the warm up, slap them on the back and say "Hey mate, I'm busy Wednesday night, please don't ruin my plans" and have a laugh with them, it seems to put them in the right mindset.
by Lightning McQueen
Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port Adelaide 2022

I got Gold Coast at around 15’s that morning.. good day, good game, good finish
Turncoat!!

They came storming home.

I remember hearing Josh Glenn's parents jumping on a flight to go watch him play his debut match for Gold Coast even though he was named as an emergency so a late call up was inevitable.

Josh always knew where the goals were and loved to kick them so I put $25 @ 31's on him to kick the first despite him listed on the bench once he was named.

Took all of 70 seconds to hit the scoreboard, it ended up being the only AFL goal he kicked.
by Lightning McQueen
Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

MW wrote:And they wonder why jobs go overseas

That's what I used to warn my GMH mates about when their union was pushing for unrealistic demands. Our industry is a lot more secure and it's based on awards and CPI
by Lightning McQueen
Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Booney wrote:The rise of the far right in France. Look out.
by Lightning McQueen
Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you don't understand

How does a drug f****** American actors divorce settlement battle make our daily top new stories?

I used to like the guy but he's off the Christmas card list now, the dude is cooked.
by Lightning McQueen
Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFLW 2022

The amusing thing on Elon Musks site is those saying they missed all her Dads matches in the teal [emoji3]

Depends how small your brain is. I don't have one [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
You can borrow one of mine, I have two, one is lost though and the other one is looking for it.
by Lightning McQueen
Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Collingwood

Booney wrote:
You've even posted his name. :lol:

Nice pick up Boney.
by Lightning McQueen
Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: TDK's International Test Cricket Update's

Rik E Boy wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Ben Stokes announced as English captain

Anyone else reckon that bloke is massively overrated?

regards,

REB

No. Hated him for a while, ultra impressed with him nowadays, has a huge ticker and if their batting wasn't so brittle his average would be a lot more healthier.
by Lightning McQueen
Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I had to umpire my son's under 17 game Saturday, he was a bit crook in the morning and on the way there but it was only his 2nd game for a new club so he didn't want to sit out.

About 3 minutes in he got the ball in the back pocket, took about 6 or 7 bounces and then lined up the goals and slotted on from just inside 50.
by Lightning McQueen
Mon May 02, 2022 9:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you laugh

Dude limping around at work walking like a 96 year old with a busted hip.

I ask him "what's up with you mate?"

"Footy on the weekend, I think I've busted a collarbone".
by Lightning McQueen
Mon May 02, 2022 11:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I had to umpire my son's under 17 game Saturday, he was a bit crook in the morning and on the way there but it was only his 2nd game for a new club so he didn't want to sit out.

About 3 minutes in he got the ball in the back pocket, took about 6 or 7 bounces and then lined up the goals and slotted on from just inside 50.
So I'm guessing at the Mail Medal for that round it will be
3 votes - L. McQueen Jnr :D
I left it up to other dude, young Mc did kick 3 in the first quarter and I had to leave at 3 qtr time.

I didn't tell the other ump of the connection either.

I'm generally harder on my own kids than the others, that's why I'm glad I stopped coaching them.

I did ping him for a holding the ball and then his team mate walked between him and the lad that got the free so I paid 25 against him :lol:
by Lightning McQueen
Mon May 02, 2022 10:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Getting the cover letter ready and updating my resumé to suit a job that I was applying for today and I've been under the pump training someone.

I finally found a bit of time to sort it and went to apply and it closed off at noon :(
I thought you were now loving your job?

It's been a great learning curve but I was presented with an opportunity that was right up my alley and something that I'm passionate about, the money was significantly better too.

I'm not much of a risk taker and don't get out of my comfort zone, I was willing to explore.

I do like to apply for jobs though that are on the cusp of being out of reach for me, I like to try and get to the interview stages to keep me on my toes for what to expect nowadays, back in the day we'd lug a portfolio of all of our achievements and certificates, now it's just roll up well presented.
by Lightning McQueen
Tue May 03, 2022 8:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

My mobile phone.
Died on me about 9am yesterday. Could not get it to restart no matter what I did. Buy a new one. Get home, put the old one back in its box & the box vibrates. F****** thing starts working
:lol: :lol:

Wouldn't be the first thing that starts vibrating again once you put it in it's box.
by Lightning McQueen
Tue May 03, 2022 11:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wedgie wrote:If you leaving Angle Vale and to head off to Melbourne would you go through town or go through Gawler, Lyndoch, Mt Pleasant, Tungkillo way or even another way?
Having never lived North of Prospect I have no idea.

Yes, take the right turn @ Palmer to get to Murray Bridge.
by Lightning McQueen
Wed May 04, 2022 2:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

tipper wrote:not at all. tongue firmly in cheek. hence the wink

Speaking of Norf, I'm getting bloody thirsty and I need to put my tips in at the pub.
by Lightning McQueen
Wed May 04, 2022 4:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I forgot there's actually a place called Long Plains! :lol:

It wasn't meant to be disparaging to the good folk of Long Plains, it was more emphasising not everyone wishes to live North of Bolivar.

Whats wrong with them then...…… ;)

Country North life is the best.

$300k for a 3 bedroom house with 2 hectares...…..above award wages because they need to attract people out here.

Old fashion community spirit, obsessed with sport and helping one another out, perfect for bringing up a young families.

We don't miss out on anything, we can still buy from any shop you can online, we have cinemas, cafes...shit we can go ever go to a pub that turns into a club once a week.

**** city/suburban life.....never again!! You're all missing out!

Say G'day to Bob Hatfield for me!!
by Lightning McQueen
Thu May 05, 2022 12:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Soooooo, how's this weather?

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Sunshine in Gods country, I mean Booneys country. [emoji3]

Long Plains?
by Lightning McQueen
Thu May 05, 2022 1:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Been training my new employee over the last week and thought I'd get her familiar with some of her major customers that she'll be working with closely.

We go to do an introductory email and she asks "Do you want me to start it off with what are you wearing?"

Perhaps she's spent too much time with me already.
by Lightning McQueen
Fri May 06, 2022 9:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Say G'day to Bob Hatfield for me!!

My next door neighbour is deadest the character he must of been based on. Looks and all.

You can guarantee once a month he will pull up on his bobcat when im outside and ask if I need anything moved around the property whilst he has it out.

Roll some crap up in some carpet for next time he asks, say "Yeah mate, can you please bury this down in the back corner?"
by Lightning McQueen
Thu May 05, 2022 1:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Your poison of choice?

:YMSICK: @Wedgie, When I was about 12, my older cousins made me sneak a 6 pack of them out of a party, it was harder trying to sneak 5 back into the party, they were pure buffalo piss.
by Lightning McQueen
Fri May 06, 2022 10:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What The F***

Daughter rings me to see if I needed a lift to the pub after work as she knew I was going to the footy and might want to make my uber trip cheaper, had to quickly hang up as my son was calling at the same, he too asked if I wanted a lift into the footy as him and a friend are going.

A complete WTF moment, two kids calling me at the same time to help me out? It usually costs me time money or both when they call :lol: :lol:
by Lightning McQueen
Fri May 06, 2022 2:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

As someone who used to loved FUIC I am so glad I don't chug it down anymore.

Someone at work brought me a bacon and egg roll from Vili's (they are yuk!) and a FUIC to go with, I could actually feel myself getting fatter drinking it. Same boat.
Don't drink it anymore and when I had one it was just sugar...

Used to suck me in with the 2 for $4 gimmick, I'd think it would last me 2 days but I would always rip into the 2nd one.

Had some weird chick work with me ages ago that wanted a bit of the red race car, she'd buy me one everyday, everyone else used to pay the f*** outta me about it, she used to ramble on about her boyfriend all the time, we all thought he was imaginery.
by Lightning McQueen
Wed May 04, 2022 1:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2022 Adelaide Footy League - Division 6

redyellow&blue wrote:D6 Trivia.

Direct distance from away change-rooms, to away bench (all Div 6 clubs)

Trinity 263m

That Concludes D6 Trivia.

If you time it right you should be able to catch the 492B from the changerooms to the oval.
by Lightning McQueen
Mon May 09, 2022 5:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

La Trattoria - old school Italian, always magnificent.
La best Italiano, Greek on Halifax the best of it's genre.

A couple of years ago an older Italian fella came in the Reepham one random evening and asked who I liked in the next at GDP, I said I like the 7 with Hyrorec on it, it got up and he gave me $200 and also put $50 over the bar for me to keep drinking with. He was the owner of La Trattoria, he wouldn't take no for an answer.

He gave the barmaid a $100 too.
by Lightning McQueen
Mon May 09, 2022 5:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL ROUND 8

Wanted - 1 liver in working order, 5 hours sleep. Please deliver to Alberton.
LM to LM all evening "Be good, you've got 3 games to umpire tomorrow"

LM to the remaining customers when we got told to leave the box an hour after the game "Let's go to the city".

I hated myself all day Saturday.
by Lightning McQueen
Mon May 09, 2022 4:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you are looking forward to

Despite hurting with my son atm there is something to look forward to.

My middle child (who has always been my rock) has her final meeting here today to sign some T&C's for full time employment.

In a few weeks time I'll get to have lunch every day with my little girl.
by Lightning McQueen
Wed May 11, 2022 10:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you sad.

Being a parent is by far the most challenging job we will ever do in our lives, there's the highlights, the proud dad moments and then there's the despair, the f*** ups they do and and the heartache they feel.

I've learnt to be a pretty resilient strong minded person but when it comes to my kids it really tests me, not at the time but when I reflect on situations by myself.

Having my son come home and wake me up at midnight to tell me of one of his best mates passing away in a motorcycle crash has ripped me apart, the world just isn't fair and we are just a part of the domino effect, there's a mother who's son didn't come home for dinner last night.

My lad went and seen the mum and family last night, truly devastating.

My two girls and son always finish our convo with "love you", it makes me smile and feel so lucky every time .

Terrible news mate, a life taken too soon.

Same, always end with "Love you" and even at 25 and 21 they get a couple of hugs and a kiss on the cheek every week, whether they like it or not. I know they do.

Absolutely, it was always the signature line with my two girls, since escaping death with his bout of meningitis he developed has followed suit, I still bear the scars from that ordeal, he knows when it's affecting me so he gives me a hug and says "Dad, I made it through, that's all that matters".
by Lightning McQueen
Wed May 11, 2022 9:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Got home last night and Mrs Boon had curried sausages, mash and veg on the go. Made me feel like I'd walked into a moment in my childhood, the smells bringing back memories of being a kid, coming home to that smell after school. Magnificent.

Roast lamb and vegetables for me last night =P~
Smelt it as soon as I opened the car door
The dogs even refused to eat their dinner because they wanted some

Roast lamb on a Monday f***** night? You've got Berta well trained.
by Lightning McQueen
Tue May 10, 2022 12:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: North Melbourne

Booney wrote:Tassie would beat Norths membership in 24 hours.

All on a family membership though.
by Lightning McQueen
Thu May 12, 2022 2:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Crap IMO, pissed idiots will be pisseder.

Don't call me pissed mate.

I try and not call anyone pissed, it doesn't seem to work though, when else am I going to let them know that I love them?
by Lightning McQueen
Fri May 13, 2022 11:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Had to try and whack some food in the stomach to soak up a massive night so we went to the Pretoria Hotel in Mannum yesterday.

I don't usually order a schnitty but everyone else was and I really just wanted to eat so there was no point in getting my customary steak.

All 6 of us were served within 10 minutes, all at the same time and the chicken schnitty with pepper sauce was high quality, I'm not a chip person but their chips got cleaned up in no time aswell, it helped that they weren't scabby with the gravy.

To top it off, lucky I have two eyes as they had the Bathurst race going on one big screen and the footy on the other one, both directly ahead from where I was sitting.

Most of the group stayed up there last night, I had the miserable drive home cursing myself.

From the sound of things probably should be thankful you survived the weekend bud ;)

F****** crazy scenes, had to wrestle a f****** huge monster!!!!
by Lightning McQueen
Mon May 16, 2022 12:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2021/22

Incredibly sad news to wake this morning and read about Roy's passing. Can't believe he's gone.

I absolutely loved watching him playing ODI cricket, his hundred against Pakistan in Australia's first match of the 2003 World Cup is my main highlight of his. I still remember watching it with my dad and brother in our old lounge room, he came in when the Aussies were in trouble (at 4/86) and made 143 not out from 125 balls to get Australia to 8/310. It was the first time I really remember seeing him and Brad Hogg play for Australia.

He was an absolute gun fieldsman, he was so good at hitting the stumps and made some incredible run outs, took some ripper catches and most importantly saved so many runs. How good was it with him, Ponting and Clarke in the ODI team for a long period.

Add in his ability to bowl both medium pace and off spin made him such a versatile cricketer, he was another star in a golden era.

I enjoyed his commentary too, especially his insights around fielding and he had his own stats system to rate a teams fielding performance.

Everything you have written is spot on, when we think about an Australian iconic cricketer, Andrew Symonds fits the criteria.

If Shane Warne hadn't of passed this would've had it's own thread and been 10 pages deep by now, he really was the blokes bloke of cricket, he was the complete allrounder, I'm devastated that I've been away to to the river twice in the past ten years, both times I've woken to the news of a legend passing.

I always love reading your educated posts, you're years beyond your age.

#respect.
by Lightning McQueen
Tue May 17, 2022 11:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Getting the cold shoulder from my neighbour, guess she didn't like me using 3L of roundup on her weeds :lol:

Mine is giving me the cold shoulder also...might be cause I cut down the f..king enormous tree on our border and she's lost all her driveway shade.
Mine too, my stupid phone rang when I was outside of her bedroom window.
by Lightning McQueen
Wed May 18, 2022 9:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Dark Knight wrote:The video of Scomo playing soccer with kids and slipping and falling over and into one of them. That bloke continues to provide us with comical relief!

The dude looked like a 1986 Atari character moving side to side while he was playing.
by Lightning McQueen
Thu May 19, 2022 11:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Had a telemarketer call me yesterday about some wonderful energy deal that they got going atm, I said "Sorry dude, my life partner looks after our utilities, you'll need to speak to him, his name is Alan and this is his number" I gave my work colleagues number.

Sure as shit, his phone rang within 30 seconds with the same dude on it.
by Lightning McQueen
Fri May 20, 2022 8:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cooking dinner and doing a bit of cleaning around the kitchen while Miss Mc is chatting away to me sitting at the breakfast bar.

I heard my phone calling out to me earlier but didn't bother checking it and then it pinged a few more times while she was right next to it.

"Geez Dad, what's going on, surely you're not" I walked over to see some messages from various women, all just seemed to plod through within half an hour or so.

"Na, I'm not even seeing any of them, they're all just trying to have a crack at the title" I replied.

"Oh well, they're only human" she comes back with, a chip off the old block.

It's weird when you're single, when you're looking to meet someone you get nothing, when you have no interest whatsoever they present themselves from all aspects of life.

I categorically have zero interest, I'm saving to buy a new car in July so I don't want to go through that courting stage and I don't think I'll ever bother again in my life.
by Lightning McQueen
Wed May 25, 2022 8:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This could go in a number of threads, pretty stoked to have 16 year old Junior Mc get selected to play his first A Grade game, lining up with Paul Puopolo is a real buzz for the pair of us.
by Lightning McQueen
Thu May 26, 2022 9:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I had tracking on a work van..
Surprised they didn't pick up that I spent so much time at golf courses... [emoji3]

They were probably glad ;)
by Lightning McQueen
Fri May 27, 2022 3:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This could go in a number of threads, pretty stoked to have 16 year old Junior Mc get selected to play his first A Grade game, lining up with Paul Puopolo is a real buzz for the pair of us.

Marked and goaled from 40 out with his first kick in A grade footy.

I waited for a bit and thought I could quickly sneak in and grab a beer, I came out to see his team mates running at him, I knew as soon as I walked in what would happen :oops:
by Lightning McQueen
Mon May 30, 2022 10:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

As disappointing as that might be for her, that's a great life lesson she has learnt at 19. Some employers, not all and particularly some mangers will make life hard for you if you are leaving.

I just had a conversation with a young grad at my as he is applying for another job and explaining to him that although I have no issue with this, his manger is not going to take this well. And I have encouraged him to embrace the fall out.

In fairness, his manager is a fickwhitt so this is all expected.
Yes, it’s unfortunate that all integrity must go out the window, like she was going to stay in retail for ever, she was going to uni studying two disciplines of accountancy on top of working 30+ hours a week, a lot of weekends too, they shat on her just after she turned 18 as well.

It appears as though she has the new job anyway, it’s for a worldwide manufacturing company in a role that suits her and offers growth within the business, should find out all the final details today when she knocks off.
by Lightning McQueen
Tue May 31, 2022 1:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: North Melbourne

whufc wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Admittedly I don't get to watch many of their games and the radio doesn't paint the best picture.

I only kept a close eye because I had him in my fantasy .

EFA
by Lightning McQueen
Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Miss 19 Y.O daughter messages me in a tither, she has applied for a new job and has had two interviews and got an email today requesting a number of a recent employment referee.

She has become a manager where she works and hasn't told them that she was looking elsewhere, she wasn't really but a job came up and she was asked to apply.

I said to here to just speak to a manager that you get along well with from a different department and point out the sensitivity of the the call to your prospective new HR officer, does this sound like the right advice?
Her manager found out last Thursday and demoted her from 2IC and from managing over the weekends like she has done for the past 18 months.
She got the job.

I'm going to get to have lunch with my little girl every day, pretty excited is an understatement.
by Lightning McQueen
Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Receiving a bunch of expensive gay stripey shirts that I never ordered, a couple fit too.
by Lightning McQueen
Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

DOC wrote:Sure there not the ones Jimmy ordered?

:lol: :lol:
by Lightning McQueen
Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

DOC wrote:At the same place or nearby? Work I mean.

At the same place, her desk will be about 10 metres from my office, it was all her doing.

I do get $1000 finders fee though :D
by Lightning McQueen
Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |