Search found 19 matches

Return

Re: Rule Changes for 2016

I think they could improve the game by using the existing rules and adjusting the interpretations. Don't need to mess with it much.

Want to reduce stoppages? Call holding the ball quicker, and reward tackles like they do in the Eastern league.
Want to stop deliberate out of bounds? Call more of them like you did this year, only even more - it will soon stop.

As for allowing throwing as suggested on here, ridiculous. But I'd like to see umpires looking for it in packs and penalising it more. I reckon West had more throws than handballs in the first quarter of the GF. That would slow the game down a little too, that seems to be an aim of all this.

And if the umpires stop circling SO FAR WIDE of the play they may be in a position to call all of these.
by Doddy
Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Centrals V Adelaide Saturday September 3 12:10

Don't wrestle with a pig folks, you both get dirty and the pig enjoys it.
by Doddy
Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rumour re Media Coverage

There's a spectrum of engagement and marketing is often aiming to move consumers further along that spectrum. From those that don't know the product, through awareness, favourable opinion, trial, purchase, regular purchase, advocate etc.

For us it might be those that don't know the SANFL, awareness, affinity to a team, occasional attendance, regular attendance, membership, sponsor. Or something similar.

The digital pass only seems aimed at anchoring members, and maybe moving a few up to membership with the discount offer. It doesn't do anything to address the larger problems of falling interest and attendance. Any success in boosting attendance and engagement would probably have the same incremental effect on increasing membership anyway.

But radio coverage is something that can have a positive effect on all but the top steps of that spectrum and move everyone up a step, especially for example from affinity to a team to occasional attendance, be they lapsed or new fans. It seems like madness to discourage it, and I hope it's not some misguided effort to push us towards the digital pass, any $ it earns early are just stolen from future revenues.
by Doddy
Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Speaking from a purely selfish point of view, one thing this "reserves crisis" has taught me, is how much I value our opposition.

Really well put. And ditto for me.

Love my Centrals, but I'm realising it's as my representatives in this weekly contest with worthy opponents on an equal footing. ie, a League.

Unfair advantage of any kind has always been the cause of outrage (perceived bias in umpiring, salary cap breaches, bad tribunal calls, whatever) so that's why these non-capped opponents get my goat.

I want to see my guys do well in their weight division. I just want an honest contest.
by Doddy
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SA 2019 Draft Watch

No-one is mentioning the knock-on effect all the way down the grass roots. If South lose their best to the AFL mid-season draft, they will likely draw on their reserves, who in turn draw on the best player from lower grades they can get. Every team in the stack is vulnerable to lose someone to a better (higher) offer, and it will come from their best few players.

The AFL have reserves teams, all of them. The purpose of having one is to provide depth to cover injury etc. If a side can't manage with that, they are not managing their player stocks correctly, setting up your whole squad correctly should be a driver of success. In the case of the mid-season draft, they are giving them a safety net, which will allow AFL clubs to change their squad strategy in the future.
by Doddy
Fri May 24, 2019 11:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Central V Sturt

don't whinge about losing because of umpires, not a good look. We lost because we're not good enough at the moment.

And telling someone to neck themselves is great optics. But if you regret that comment, it's forgivable.

As for my original post :
1. the discussion was about one game (see thread heading)
2. on the day we were good enough (agree with you over the season). Do we need to be so good that the umps performance is irrelevant? How many opponents are we fixtured to play?
3. on the day the umps were ordinary, and I think they impacted the result. I extrapolated a little to suggest it was not atypical for these particular baldies.

Were you at the game?
by Doddy
Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2020 Season

I think the SANFL missed an opportunity with the Centrals v West draw - to play both club songs simultaneously after the game.
by Doddy
Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 8 Sturt v Centrals Saturday 1410

My tip is a 5 goal loss. Doesn't seem to matter the quality of our opposition this year, we're either dragging them all down to our level or playing better when the opposition is better. It's always pretty close to a 5 goal loss. Though given Sturt's ability to slot 'em from anywhere at Unley, I may even stretch it to 7.

Still enjoying the games though, we do keep coughing up one quarter, but tend to be competitive and interesting in the other 3, usually losing by close to the score we gave up in the bad quarter.
by Doddy
Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Admission prices

Hard to know how price elastic a SANFL game is. How many more would go if it was $10 ? To cover the $9 lost from non-members who would have gone anyway, you'd need to almost double attendance. At $15, you'd need about 25% more attendance to break even.

I do think they need to arrest the decline though - have a look around when you are at the footy today, 75% of the crowd are over 40, maybe even 50.

So my thoughts would be for the SANFL to sacrifice a season to lower revenues (maybe AFL grants to help out), smash some advertising (I thought the tribe approach wasn't terrible) and run a season at $10 attendance. Maybe that will be enough grow the adult childless base. Push some free adult tickets via kids teams/schools if they bring a couple of kids. Another campaign targeted at Mums, they often decide family activities, or may see it as an opportunity to get Dads out with the kids. If it's a good day out, then $10 next week might not be an issue, get the habit to stick. Make them register to use the free tickets, so the clubs can send 'em reminders on Thursdays for every game after. I also think for these families we need to overcome the idea that it's a whole lost day of the weekend to go to the footy - label it as a "100 minute contest for honours" or "2 hours to see who's best" or whatever.

Then ramp up pricing slowly over coming years, but could be 3 or 4 before its back at 19/20. If you've grown the base, you will recover that revenue gap.
by Doddy
Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2022 Season

Good to see the SANFLs leading goal kicker Daniel Menzel got acquitted of all charges that some on here wanted to bring up in the past.

And yet the woman who falsely accused him gets to remain anonymous after his name was dragged through the mud for no reason.

Gotta love the system.

I haven't seen the reporting on this outcome, did they establish she falsely accused him? You can't assume just because he was acquitted that there were any false accusations. Just be careful with your commentary.
by Doddy
Tue May 31, 2022 5:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2022 Season

I like the idea of an AFL mid-season trade period over a draft, but if we must have a draft maybe the gaining AFL club could loan a player back to the losing club in the trade. The idea is that they need the MSD because they are plugging a gap - and since they all have the same size list, they must have excess of a type of player that can't plug the gap on their list. Loan them out.
by Doddy
Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 16 Dogs vs Power Reserves

This is annoying. Last time we played the Maggies there were 17 or 18 AFL listed players and they beat us. Then they lost a bunch of games with about 8 AFL listed players in the side, and now here we go again we are up against 16-17 apparently.

We are in better form this time around though, so hopefully we give it a crack.
by Doddy
Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Doesnt say much for your power reserves players they should be above SANFL level .

Why, cos they're listed? :lol: You need to get better, period.

Yeah cos they're listed. Your recruiting gurus cherry picked the best they could from SANFL/WAFL etc at draft time so you'd think they should be above SANFL level.

Can't believe Port fans enjoy these wins. You're playing against salary-capped sides of part timers, your headstart is phenomenal. Where's the glory in that?

Yes we need to get better. Our endeavour is great but we need a bit more height, maybe another KPP or two, and we need our opponent to have a salary cap like we do . Obvs the Power needs a reserves team, but if they play in this comp, then only enough of them to populate the $300K or so salary cap should get a start. So roughly 1 or 2.
by Doddy
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I take your points, all of you, but the nub of my argument remains.

Who they choose and for what end is up to them. They choose to get young players they think will develop into AFL players. Fine, that's what's important to them. But if Centrals (or any of the fine upstanding pure SANFL clubs) were gifted the opportunity to spend vast amounts of money on whoever they wanted, and none of other 7 clubs were allowed the same grace, then you start to see the issue. What defines any other league is the common rules all teams work within, and boundaries that define equal opportunities (the fixture, the salary cap etc) and we don't have that here.
by Doddy
Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

I'd happily accept that if we'd not contributed anything to the kitty over the last 150 years. I'm sure we'd helped the bottom line for a while.

i'd say that sincere thanks and solidarity with a brother was demonstrated in agreeing to lend Port the cash when nobody else would. But if you borrow under a contract, you still need to pay it back fellas.
by Doddy
Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ROUND 6 EAGLES VS DOGS MAUGHAN THIEM OVAL SAT 2:10PM

Fair criticism of our forwards this week, 11 more I50s yet 4 less shots on goal. Pearce is good with the ball, and presents well but doesn't clunk it that often, I suppose he is at least drawing a tall defender. Grace seems a bit lost not being the main target but is doing some nice ground level work, but was beaten yesterday.

The I50 count probably suggests the mids did OK in attack despite being beaten in the ruck, which follows the pattern of the last few weeks where their clearance rate is still good on losing rucks.

I thought the forwards bigger problem this week was their defensive work. They let the ball out too easily, which allowed the Eagles movement to be swift giving our defenders no chance. Pres was missed in this respect.

Umpiring was ordinary both ways, all day, so many times the players couldn't work out what or who the free was for. Our stocks were down the last few years, and there were reserve-grade players getting a regular league gig, and I think that's where the umpires are at the moment.
by Doddy
Mon May 15, 2023 11:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rd 10 Centrals vs Eagles X CONVENIENCE OVAL SAT 17/6 2:1

Ethan East gets a 3 game suspension for doing stuff all, joke!. Not even a free kick given.
Downgraded to 2 weeks with an early guilty plea.
McCormack was lucky IMO to only get 1 with the early plea.

https://sanfl.com.au/league/news/week-1-round-10-sanfl-match-review-panel/

Obvs we don't have access to lawyers this year, both should have been appealed.

East's report said high contact and the only contact was to his leg. If Comitogianni was concussed as another poster said, it can't have been from this incident, his head makes very light contact when he lands.

McCormack was in the same pack, not advancing at any pace from distance, and wrestled another Eagle to get to the contest, Sinor was obscured initially and low by the time Billy got there. Free kick every day, no report though as he is not solely determining his own motion. Moment of impact in the pic - does he look in control of his momentum?

billy_impact.png
by Doddy
Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 16 Central v Sturt

It won't matter who we have up front unless we work on how we move the ball forward.
Our mids lack skill and don't win enough footy.
Slow ball movement and poor skills make it tough on the forwards.
The last two games we have only had around 30 inside 50s.
Hopefully we have already started looking at potential recruits, and quality Not quantity.

Agree. Picked up some very good players in the last 2 or 3 years who are certainly valuable contributors. With the depth (and age) of this current crop, we do not need too may newbees, BUT clearly need some top players who can have an impact for 4 quarters, week after week. At this stage, Harry Grant is probably our only consistent performer in this regard.

Hopefully Travis, back next year. But, we'd still need a couple more A graders.

I think Lleyton Chisholm was really good before he got his back injury and we haven't looked convincing since. He's due for return any tick so maybe our centre work will improve, and if not this year then next.
by Doddy
Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |