Search found 786 matches

Return

Re: UPCOMING AUSTRALIA MATCHES

Eagles2014 wrote:Hate 2 Test series like we have for the Adelaide Test vs West Indies :shock:

Yep, it's insanity. Play three or five or play none at all.
by RB
Mon May 30, 2022 12:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: TDK's International Test Cricket Update's

Most likeable England cricketers Ive seen
This is for demeanor- I would have a different 12 on who I like watching perform

In alphabetical order my likeable 12
Atherton
Cowdrey
Grace
Gough
Hick
Knott
Lamb
Lyold
Randell
Root
Willis
Wood

Off all of them I would rate Joe Root as the most likeable player Ive seen that's played for England

Off field and in commentary theres no BIGger name that David Lyold

The only bloke on that list who was a bigger cheat than the great W.G. was Mike Atherton!!
by RB
Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R11 Port v Norwood

In light of the above discussion, I think the inaugural Port Power Reserves club captain had some apposite thoughts...
by RB
Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2022 Australian tour of Sri Lanka

Jim05 wrote:Start delayed due to temporary grandstand collapsing due to high wind.

Alex Carey (Glenelg DCC) would be used to this by now.
by RB
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

And only 6 behind 8th place Ravi Ashwin.
by RB
Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 16

How do you knock Melbourne off at the G, then a few weeks later lose to Essendon?
by RB
Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 16

Those two misses are coach killers.
by RB
Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I need to know....

Nope.
by RB
Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If only there was a third test to decide the series.
by RB
Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: North Melbourne

The fact they brought up priority picks during this presser sums up this situation perfectly... Noble just a scapegoat. If it weren't for the big $alary, you'd almost say Noble will benefit the most from the divorce, i.e. due to being shot of a club who brings up priority picks when they're giving you the arse.
by RB
Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R15 Port v West

another grub wrote:How long are Maggie supporters going to put up with this trash ?

I can't see either of them putting up with it much longer TBH.
by RB
Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

locky801 wrote:one must remember if ever locked up plead not guilty then go to court, state you were abused as a kid which then led you into a life of drugs however i have now woken up to myself and you will walk away close to scott free :roll: :(

"Finding God" usually helps as well.
by RB
Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 16 Dogs vs Power Reserves

Vamos wrote:^Rubbish.
There have been a few pea-hearted finals efforts since 2014 as evidence that it isn't.

FWIW I don't blame them. Reserves results aren't enormously important.
by RB
Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

What made me laugh more was Roo and Ditts on Triple M this morning saying the SANFL would be irrelevant if the "Magpies and Crows" left the competition.

Therein lies the problem with the reporting of this issue. Most media types appear totally unaware of how little the cancers bring to the SANFL. Hardly surprising in the case of these two bozos, of course.
by RB
Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port Adelaide 2022

tigerpie wrote:The Collingwood Football Club.
The club is marketed internationally on the above.

Is that so? I understand the Power have cornered the Chinese market.
by RB
Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 22…. It’s wide open folks

Carlton's last 20 years summed up in that last 2 minutes.
by RB
Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Rough draft
F: Gray, Schultz, P.Burgoyne
HF: Wingard, Tredrea, N.Stevens
C: James, Francou, K.Cornes
HB: Pickett, C.Cornes, S.Burgoyne
B: Wanganeen, Wakelin, Wilson
F: Primus (sorry Carey), Boak, Carr

Fair crack bud.

Reckon I'd get Wines in there probably for Stevens (different styles of player I know).

Tough picking the bench, some excellent Port players will be missing out, but Lade would be the first I'd include. Agreed Wines needs to be in there - Brownlow medallist - and Stevens was my first thought to drop out.

I'd also have Lade as first ruck ahead of Primus.

Otherwise I agree with LM's team.
by RB
Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Lightning McQueen wrote:F: Gray, Schultz, Lade
HF: Wingard, Tredrea, Boak
C: James, Francou, K.Cornes
HB: Wilson, C.Cornes, S.Burgoyne
B: Wanganeen, Wakelin, P.Burgoyne
F: Lade, Wines, Carr

As much as I rated Lade around the ground, I'm not sure I'd pick him to occupy two positions at once.
by RB
Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you laugh

MW wrote:The lad who came 4th got the shits cause, and I quote "I came second so should get 2nd prize money, you three should split the first place prize money".

I'm guessing you're not employed in the rocket science industry MW.
by RB
Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Essendon

I vote Jim for Essendon board of directors.

Mainly as I want to see the term 'pea heart' in an official press release.
by RB
Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide

A piece of me is sad that the old Thebby grandstands will make way.
I just hope some of the West Torrens history and great names can somehow be incorporated into the new precinct
Are the club rooms still similar to what they used to be?

From memory, having checked it out about 15 years ago, no it's all different to pre-1990.
by RB
Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2022/2023

Seems very weird to charge when they get so few in anyway.

Bizarre.
by RB
Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NIGHT SERIES

'Twas the 1994 Foundation Cup final. Eagles won 4 goals to 2. Extraordinarily windy night but I don't believe it rained.
by RB
Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Worrell - AFL listed player umpire discrimination

I highly doubt that the SANFL is issuing special instructions to umpires for the cancers. That would require the SANFL hierarchy actually to give a toss about the competition.
by RB
Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I need to know....

I'm concerned that if I wear them more often, my eyesight will diminish quicker, is anyone in the know in this area?

Not in the know, but similar position to you and same concern. Eyesight has continued to diminish - don't know whether that's natural, or hastened by wearing glasses which I do more and more.
by RB
Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

MW wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:Hird has interviewed for the job

This would be one of the most backward steps in a clubs history

Yep. Probably would earn the bronze medal IMO, after Ken Hinkley's last couple of contract extensions of course.
by RB
Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2022 AFL Grand Final Geelong v Sydney

Swans haven't stuffed up too much. Just can't get their hands on the ball.
by RB
Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2022 AFL Grand Final Geelong v Sydney

Geelong just too good - not much else to be said.
by RB
Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Our stupid out dated trading hours for retail stores on public holidays.
No wonder the other States take the piss out of us.

I understand why we still have them but it’s time for change, surely!

personally, i completely disagree.

people only have a certain amount of money to spend. shops being open longer isnt magically going to give everyone more disposable income.

it would start with allowing longer trading, then the push would come for getting rid of weekend and sunday loadings for the staff working those days, and it would end with retail workers being basically slaves. no breaks, no benefits, only hours upon hours of retail hell.

i may be biased from my years working retail

I understand retail and agree with what you are saying.
But it is going to happen eventually to come in line with the other states so let’s just make it happen now.

Plus I wanted meat for a bbq for Monday lunch but couldn’t get it anywhere.

The shops were open on Sunday. ;) And for the previous 109 days prior to that, in fact.

I'm very happy with the status quo - gives workers and small business owners about a dozen days off every year. A small yet deserved break.
by RB
Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

North Melbourne: 'We're the biggest basket case going around in the AFL right now.'

Essendon: 'Hold my beer...'
by RB
Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Dark Knight wrote:
NSW made 180
Patterson 72
Morris 5/36

WA 2/18
Dwarshuis 2/8

Patterson's 72 is a red-inker, according to Cricinfo.
by RB
Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I could debate this for hours but

A 17 year old kid goes to school during the week so only can work weekends, why should they be paid more than a 30 year old bloke supporting a family because of penalty rates?

If the 17 year old is working weekends, and the 30 year old is working M-F, then we're comparing apples with oranges.

The 30 year old is free to work Sundays if he wishes and absolutely earns the extra rate for doing so, in my opinion.

In any event, a 17 year old working in retail would generally not be on adult rates so may not be getting paid all that much more.
by RB
Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2022 AFL offseason - trades - draft

^almost a haiku
by RB
Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Not being convicts.
by RB
Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you don't understand

A former gun footballer who chalked up league games with Norwood and played with Gepps Cross this year is facing several serious family violence charges.

Marc Oliver Cox, of North Haven, on Wednesday appeared in the Adelaide Magistrates Court where he asked to be released on bail to see his dying father.

The court heard Mr Cox’s dad had been diagnosed with severe and aggressive cancer and given between one and two weeks to live, leading to an urgent application for bail.

Mr Cox was facing charges of indecent filming of a person older than 17, distributing invasive images, choking a person in a domestic setting, aggravated trespass and aggravated assault.

He had been in prison since July when he handed himself in.

Mr Cox, aged 39, was alleged to have committed the offences which led to the charges between December 1 last year and July 3 this year at Paracombe.

His last game for Gepps Cross was on July 2.

Before this year Mr Cox played for Fitzroy, Salisbury North, Payneham Norwood Union, Echunga, Freeling, Virginia, North Clare and Jervois football clubs.

In the mid-2000s he played league and reserve-level SANFL football with West Adelaide and Port Adelaide in addition to Norwood.

Given the seriousness of the charges, Mr Cox was a prescribed applicant for bail, meaning his lawyer, Stacey Carter, had to argue there were “special circumstances” that could see him released from prison.

Ms Carter said his father’s ill health was compounded with him mother’s Multiple Sclerosis diagnosis.

Magistrate Karim Soetratma said the imminent death of Mr Cox’s father was a “classic case of special circumstances”.

“I’m going to take an unusual position, that I appreciate and acknowledgingly freely is unusual and organise a bail agreement at this stage on which the defendant will be bailed,” he said.

Mr Cox was released on a $1000 bond and strict curfew and reporting conditions.

He will again appear in court next week where a home detention report will be delivered.

They forgot West Croydon and Portland and probably a couple of others too

We don't call him Wally for nothing. Tsk Tsk.

Add in Port Districts and North Haven as well! Be easier to name the clubs this bloke hasn't played for.
by RB
Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A-League 2022-23

I'm more concerned at the VAR not asking him to take another look.
by RB
Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: T20, 2022 World Cup

10k short of a sell-out in that case.
by RB
Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: T20, 2022 World Cup

Nice choke there. Almost South Africa-worthy.
by RB
Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian International Season 2022/23

Armchair expert wrote:I would have Handscomb (I'm not a fan but he is making runs for fun atm) and Renshaw ahead of Harris.
I would have anyone whose surname isn't Marsh ahead of Harris.
by RB
Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you rate!

1. Landing in Abu Dhabi ahead of my trip to the soccer world cup, and 2. Not working again until January!!
by RB
Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: World Cup 2022

Don't have much time to post about my trip so far but this was my view last night. About to head off to the England match.
20221120_185501.jpg
by RB
Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: World Cup 2022

mickey wrote:What's the plan for tonight...

Metro to the Al Janoub Stadium about 4 p.m., then bus shuttle (the logistics of this tournament have been appalling - will provide detailed report to SA Footy when I get home). Should be in seats between 5 and 5.30.
by RB
Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Handscombe average 28 and Renshaw averaged 29 in India.

Not the worst performances on the planet but definitely not worth knocking out a red hot Trav Head to start to the series. Renshaw played quite well last time we toured India. Did a very good job as opener under the circumstances. Was a while ago but if you're selecting based on past form in India then he'd be in.
by RB
Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Need to take those chances.
by RB
Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: BBL 22/23

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:i dont think he had completed the catch.
if that was a catch then so was the one in the 99 WC Semi Final.

*Super Six round.
by RB
Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Players bat to survive and grind out an innings in test cricket where as they bat to score runs at a reasonable rate in shield cricket, they probably place more value on their wicket.

My bigger point was that it goes against the trend of yesteryear a fair bit. You won't find too many (they do exist but certainly the minority) that average more at test level than first class. Complete opposite to our super team of the 2000's who all but Gilchrist average more in first class cricket than tests which is what you would expect.

Yet despite that we currently have 7 in the one side that average more at test level. I can struggle to find 7 players in total from yesteryear who do that. Bradman does but only by 1 run.... :lol: Greg Chappell was another but I can't find many more. The likes of Geoff Marsh, Boon, Healy, Blewett, Lehmann, Lawry etc all averaged more at first class.

I definitely think there is something in the fact we play alot more tests against lower nations these days. That would have a big impact, albeit many from the Steve Waugh filled their boots in against weak England sides throughout the 90's. Whats funny as well is we talk about the 90's early 2000's having a real high quality first class cricket yet our test crickets statistically found shield cricket easier than test cricket. These days statistically our cricketers are finding shield cricket tougher.

As mentioned before the fact teams dont play many tour games means the quality of test bowling is a tad diminished especially early on in series.

Could DRS be a factor.

One factor, in addition to the ones listed by Trader, that could explain the trend reversal described above is that international teams play far fewer tour matches these days. That is, Border, the Waughs and Greg Chappell would have played a lot more non-Test non-Shield FC games (both when touring overseas, e.g. for Australia v English counties, and for their state sides against international teams touring Australia) than Steve Smith or Marnus. Therefore the 'Shield component' of the current team's non-Test FC matches may be higher than for their counterparts of yesteryear.

But I agree that there is probably a range of factors.
by RB
Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: TDK's International Test Cricket Update's

All over, What a match. Draw

To think that this has been decided by light on a sunny day. The ICC must mandate all matches to start earlier in these venues where they are scheduling the close of play so close to sunset,

I've been told the reason they dont start earlier is because of wet outfields from overnight dew

Doesn't surprise me that they don't like dew in Pakistan.
by RB
Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian tour of India 2023

Indian batsman Shreyas Iyer will miss the first test because of a back injury.

Perfect for Shubman Gill to come back into the side. Yep opens the door for him now.

More runs for him overnight by the way, a hundred in the T20 against NZ, he's now the fifth Indian to score a hundred in all three formats.

I just looked it up - the other four are Suresh Raina, Rohit Sharma, K.L. Rahul and Virat Kohli.

Was very surprised that M.S. Dhoni never hit one in T20Is (also never quite got one in well over 200 IPL games, despite averaging about 40 with S/R north of 130). I suppose he never comes in early enough to reach triple figures.
by RB
Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I mean I suppose Trav might've picked up a diamond duck.
by RB
Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Gaz is bowling better today than he has in ages.
by RB
Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |