Search found 787 matches

Return

Re: 2015 Ashes

Footy Smart wrote:Is tonight the usual 7.30pm first ball ?

Sure is.
by RB
Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sydney Swans 2015

I do believe in hindsight Adam Goodes would probably admit that he may have been able to handle this one slightly better.
What I see in all of this is the wider issue that indigenous Australians are expected to act perfectly all the time, whereas the white trash are permitted to behave like absolute idiots, and are routinely martyred for doing so. For me, this is the double standard involved in the Adam Goodes saga.

Perhaps it would not be such a big issue now if Goodes hadn't done the war dance, but I'm sick of the Captain Hindsights getting stuck into him for this.

There is IMO no 'correct' way of handling people racially abusing you.

Additionally, the level of abuse directed at Goodes is more vitriolic and more personal than any similar situation for a long time. No-one has had to put up with this particular type of personal abuse on the football field for a long time - who is to say whether what Goodes did was right or wrong?

I'm not having a go at any one on this forum but I think people generally need to empathise a bit more and put themselves in Goodes' shoes, then ask themselves, what would I have done? Probably all sorts of different things, but none of them would be the textbook or squeaky clean way of dealing with this sort of abuse. There isn't one.
by RB
Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Is the team unhappy/confused/disappointed with the Haddin axing? The "family first" ethos that the Australian team has long lived by seems to have been cast aside in this decision. Has it upset team harmony?
Possibly, but really it shouldn't. The team are professionals, and if something like this upsets team harmony then they need to take a good hard look at themselves.

They're playing for Australia. Against England, in a close Ashes series. If I were wearing the baggy green, nothing would stop me giving 110% out there every time.

FWIW, I think the selectors had a very tough decision. The circumstances of Haddin having to miss the second test are unfortunate, but no-one has a right to play for Australia. In a Ashes series locked at 1-1, the best XI need to play. Nevill's batting and keeping have probably been superior to Haddin's. There is no room for sentiment, and it would be disappointing if the best team weren't picked giving how the whole country is willing the team to win.

Unfortunate for Haddin, but it's not about the individual. It's about the team. Haddin can be given the support he needs regardless IMO.
by RB
Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Starc's bowling shit, get him off.
by RB
Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Ramrod wrote:
CENTURION wrote:I can feel a TWO month holiday coming......

People should really respect my opinions more.
by RB
Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Loving having you back, Roman.
by RB
Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I just tuned in. Was there some rain? They've only scored 33 runs and we're 3 1/2 hours in. Good to get the early breakthrough though. Hopefully we can get another couple soon and England will really be in trouble!
by RB
Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Nick Marsh fun fact:

Marsh's 7 ducks in 26 test innings at a rate of a duck every 3.71 innings puts him in elite company. E.g. Glenn McGrath made a duck every 3.94 innings. Not too many Australians have done better than that.
by RB
Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Ladders & Statistics - Round 16

Blacky wrote:maybe we could update the table on the home page
oh bugger north and Glenelg are shit this year
so admin haven't brothered to do there job LOL

Yeah, what a bunch of slackers, I pay good money for this service! :roll:
by RB
Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The best Aussie captain of the modern era?

As far as tactics, field placements etc. go, I. Chappell.
by RB
Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Power and Crows Players that have Qualified for Finals

Should be zero max. No AFL in the SANFL.
by RB
Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Qualif. Final - Port v West @ Adelaide Oval (Sun 6/9)

JK wrote:Been some pretty famous finals at Adelaide Oval between these two.

But they've never played each other in a final...
by RB
Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wedgie wrote:Who the hell listens to 5AA, are you people 90 years old and brain dead?

FiveAA - the FOX News of Adelaide radio...
by RB
Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015 Magarey Medal

I think Lachie McGregor should poll well...
by RB
Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Final Round - Round 23

Did I just hear that the crowd at the Melbourne game was just 8,000?
by RB
Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Hawthorn 2015

daysofourlives wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:If Goodes did what hodge did the media and social media would have exploded. Good old hodgey gets of Scott free! Piss weak!

Hodge= good knock about aussie bloke
Goodes=Flog

There's the difference

How would you know who's the better bloke? Do you know both of them personally?
by RB
Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

CENTURION wrote:
CENTURION wrote:
Booney wrote:
LPH wrote:Will we see 'Eric' on Saturday? 8)

One, the games are Sunday, two, you reakon he'll get into Adelaide Oval?

he will if he's not 8 metres long.

He will require 5 assistants.

You're not going to chop him up?!?
by RB
Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How about putting the AFL reserves in the Sanfl reserves, like lots of people wanted two years ago?
by RB
Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I thought Steve Summerton said it best.
by RB
Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Or maybe it should just be since the league started, in 1877. :-)
by RB
Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015 Grand Final - Eagles v West - Sun 27/9/15

Congratulations to Westies. Not much to say re the Eagles - picked the wrong day to put in a performance like that.

Well done to Mark Mickan.
by RB
Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide United v Liverpool

As an Adelaide United member, I got an e-mail during the week from Liverpool FC asking me to complete a survey on the match. One of the questions was something along the lines of what was your favourite moment from the match. I went with Michael Thomas' stoppage time winner to win Arsenal the league at Anfield in the last round of the season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFo1eyWbTtc

Steven Gerrard's slip-up against Chelsea was a close second. I hope I made some Liverpool staff member's day.
by RB
Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Aus. v NZ - Test Series / Shaun Marsh Appreciation Thread

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/australia/michael-clarke-shaun-marsh-should-open-for-australia-against-new-zealand/story-fn2mcu3x-1227560749961

Michael Clarke: Shaun Marsh should open for Australia against New Zealand

This Shaun Marsh fascination is a disease. Seriously, what do all these people see in him? It's a sick joke that just never ends. The man has so many lives, at least Watson managed to make more than two runs in the Ashes.
by RB
Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australia v NZ - Test Series

http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/10/24/i-hope-the-selectors-wont-pick-shaun-marsh-but-i-think-they-will/

My favourite bit in this article is this:

Marsh’s biggest deficiencies at Test level have been handling the ball when it is swinging on and around his off stump, and getting himself past 20 or 30.

Fairly big deficiencies, at test level...
by RB
Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australia v NZ - Test Series

I'd love to know why the selectors left Burns at home and picked Nick Marsh for the England tour.
by RB
Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sheffield Shield Season 2015/2016

Also, Bancroft got out for 6 (LBW to Ahmed) after making 4 in the first innings. Hopefully Nick Marsh will make a low score tomorrow and not get picked for the Adelaide test.
by RB
Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Michael Clarke

At the very least, Clarke is, IMO being no less mature than Buchanan or Symonds, and has far more credibility than them.
by RB
Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Integrity??????

gossipgirl wrote:This thread has 0.0 integrity

It had more integrity before you put your second rate posts in it. ;-)
by RB
Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australia v Windies - Test series

Coach Bombay wrote:Surely australia will bat again. There is no way CA would want to be delivering their customers another 3day product. We could open with marsh and nevill and bat through to lyon and then declare.

You wouldn't bat with bowlers who still need to take ten wickets.
by RB
Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015/16 Big Bash League

Mark Waugh is dead set barracking for the Heat

His actually just dropped a 'you beauty' as Head got out. Dead set barracking for the heat he has been all night.

He doesnt rate the strikers at all, makes it hard for any strikers/redbacks to make any Aussie side when one of the selectors is dead set against you
This. Surely there's someone out there with better judgement and balance than Mark Waugh.
by RB
Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australia vs India ODI squad

Kohli wildly overcelebrates his century after going at less than a run-a-ball after they just lost two games where they made 300. How about celebrating if you actually win a game you tosser.
by RB
Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Player Movements - 2015 / 2016

It's pretty late in the off season to be losing players, and it would give the other clubs an advantage if multiple players were taken from one club at this late stage.
by RB
Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

3-0.

Suck on that Kohli, you flog.
by RB
Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Aust tour squad v NZ announced - Sayers in.

Both (Chadd Sayers) and Jackson Bird can swing the ball and operate at a lively pace and we believe both will be well suited to the conditions we are likely to encounter in New Zealand.
These players should have been picked against England for the same reason. Pity that it takes an Ashes loss for the selection panel to understand that control and lateral movement are as important as pace when it comes to winning matches.
by RB
Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Chappelli was a rascal but he wasn't a selfish wanker like Kohli.
by RB
Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Australian ODI Squad for NZ tour

The squad for the ODIs in NZ was chosen yesterday:

Steve Smith (c), David Warner (vc), George Bailey, Scott Boland, James Faulkner, Aaron Finch, John Hastings, Josh Hazlewood, Mitchell Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Kane Richardson, Matthew Wade, Adam Zampa

Usman Khawaja's non-selection has to be the worst decision made by the selectors in recent memory, worse even than the selection of Bryce McGain, Michael Beer or Shaun Marsh like twelve times. I mean it is blatantly stupid. Khawaja has been the best cricketer in Australia this summer bar none. His scores (in all formats) since the Gabba test are:

174, 9*, 121, 109*, 144, 56, 62, 104* and 70.

Making it even worse is Rod Marsh's explanation:

"It's disappointing for him but he should probably make a phone call to Shaun Marsh and ask him how he felt after being dropped after getting 182."

That makes it sound as though Khawaja's complaining or sooking, which is probably untrue. It's particularly stupid to compare him to Shaun Marsh, a guy who has done nothing for 15 years, averages in the 30s in the Shield, and gets the biggest free ride from selectors in cricketing history.

Seriously, does anyone agree with leaving him out? If yes, please discuss.
by RB
Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Obviously as a South Australian I'd like to see Sayers play. However I'm glad that Bird has got a go because it seems to indicate that the selectors are interested in lateral movement from the seam bowlers (incredible, I know!).

Bird impressed in his only three tests.
by RB
Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Dark Knight wrote:100 for Usman, you beauty.

I woke up at the right tine to see it haha.

76 runs in boundaries.

I hope they get Rod Marsh to present him with the MOM trophy.
by RB
Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: financial projections

Good thing that AFL reserves teams have arrived to save all the clubs then...
by RB
Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Where to for Glenelg

Imagine if the full forward walked away because the coach didn't listen to how he wanted the game plan structured. Goodbye and good riddance.
You just can't, or won't, understand, it appears.

Where do I start? Firstly, your analogy is false.

The league directors, guys like Chiggy, Kurt Slaven and Bohdan Jaworskliklkky can't possibly be compared to the coach of a football club, and the supporter groups a team of players.

The coach of a football team is appointed on account of his experience, knowledge of football gameplans, man management, and ability to motivate a team.

The club presidents, boards etc. are elected by the members to make decisions representative of the views, aims and concerns of the members. Their only authority is derived from the members, and it is their duty to act in accordance with the will of the members.

The league directors are not absolute monarchs.

To use WWTFC as an example, if Slaven had said loudly and clearly to all the members before the AGM at the start of 2013, if I'm elected I'm going to vote to insert AFL reserves teams in the SANFL, and if he had been elected, then of course he would have been right to vote that way.

But he did not do this.

Of course it isn't practical to consult with the members over every single minor decision. But given the controversy and extremely strong feelings over this issue, and given that (as I'm sure you'll agree) it would be very difficult to reverse this decision at a later date, it was absolutely vital that Slaven got the members on board before making the decision to vote in favour.

Unless I was very, very much mistaken, the atmosphere in the room during the 'Information Night', was one of hostility to the reserves sides' inclusion.

Slaven not only made the wrong decision IMO, but the lack of democracy involved is an absolute indictment of his management of the club. This is why your analogy of players not listening to the coach is false.

To put it simply, the fans owe no blind faith to the president. The opposite is true. The league directors owe all their authority to the members.

To be honest, I hardly attend WWTFC games now (I saw 22/22 minor round + finals games in 2013) not because of my disappointment in my decision, but because of the way football and football clubs have changed, and my general lack of interest in the new regime. I used to structure my weekends around the footy. Now, I don't see the Eagles as the no. 1 priority.

I believe that I am not alone in feeling that my club has abandoned me, not the other way around. The difference from 2013, apart from the reserves teams themselves? Passion. Like many, I have lost the passion. It was previously passion for my club, and the SANFL, that drove me to spend time and money at the club. Like many, I now feel blasé about attending games.

You're obviously a passionate supporter of both the Power and the Magpies, the Power's reserve side in the SANFL. You're perfectly entitled to have your own views on the introduction of the reserves teams, or not to have any views at all on it.

However, there's no reason why you would understand the passion of others, and your 'good riddance' mentality shows that you have failed to grasp how important the integrity, sovereignty, and soul of the competition are to other people on this forum...
by RB
Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Are the Reserves staying or going

I know which reserves sides I'd like to get rid of...
by RB
Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A-League season 2015-16

So the A-League and the J-League (Japan) have a referee exchange program, where a couple of our referees go up there are do a match and a couple of theirs come down here.

Tonight Adelaide are playing the Wanderers in one of the biggest matches of the season in Round 24 (out of 27) - the winner will go top.

For some reason, the FFA decided to allocate a Japanese ref to this match, of all matches.

Ten minutes in, Kamau is through on goal with all the defenders a mile away. Reddy (WSW's GK) comes off his line and takes Kamau out, who tried in vain to jump over Reddy. It was a clear goal-scoring opportunity and the clearest foul you'll ever see, but the ref books Kamau for a dive.

Clearest send-off you'll see. Speechless.

Agree completely. A definite red card situation, as the vast majority of the experts seem to agree upon. Even the Sydney papers call it 'the worst yellow-card ever'! Kamau made contact with the ball and was left with two choices: either to try to jump over and out of the way of Liam Reddy (an instinctual action, which he ended up doing) or to run straight into Liam Reddy, resulting in possible injury to both.

He didn't jump out the way

He dove horizontally and upper body first into the ground

Strangest way I have ever seen someone try to avoid a tackle
Watch it at normal speed, and tell me where you would have jumped if the son of a second-rower was coming at you recklessly like that.
by RB
Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Good question, DB. Off the top of my head, the Tasmanian team of 2006-07 probably didn't have any capped test players (at that time).
by RB
Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: State Team

Isn't rowe still an idiot?
by RB
Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Worrall on a hat-trick, 8-fer.
by RB
Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

bennymacca wrote:
RB wrote:Can anyone who's at the ground shed light on the crowd size today? Was there yesterday and it looked like a good 2,500, maybe even 3,000.

First time I've ever been to the bay bit looks decentish.

You mean you didn't go to see Taylor Walker? :D
by RB
Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |