Search found 785 matches

Return

Re: Sheffield Shield Season 2015/2016

The Redback gene kicking in late on day 3.
by RB
Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A good first hour for the 'Backs. If one of these two is still batting deep into the second session we're every chance.
by RB
Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Quiney out LBW for one. 1/15
by RB
Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

another grub wrote:Were a big show here...... fight!

I think the Big Show's still in India.
by RB
Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Lives Scores R4

Jim05 wrote:Congrats to South for winning the Integrity Cup!

They were both winners today.
by RB
Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

matt35 wrote:Agree. There were similar rumours and stories discussed on here during last season. Will come to nothing, as it should.

That would be a minority view.
by RB
Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The perfect standard for the 2 local AFL reserves sides is the SANFL. As you can see with a full list they are strong sides (almost unbeatable ie ravens at present) and a real test for the SANFL sides. But with a few injuries they are average sides (ie Power at the moment).
Joining the Amo's would be a joke standard wise and it wouldn't be viable to join the VFL $$$ wise.
We just have to put up with it as I think it is here to stay unless there is a national reserves comp set up with all AFL reserves.
I always said that the best place for them is the SANFL Reserves competition. Nobody gives a stuff about the Reserves, and the SANFL League competition would be pure.

Still can't see why this was never/isn't being considered...
by RB
Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A-League season 2015-16

Jeggo hasn't played any first team for his Austrian club. He improved in the last year or so but he was still not much more than ordinary. Any fee we got for him was a good deal.

Agree with the above re Elsey and our depth. Next season he'll feature a bit more, I expect.
by RB
Wed May 04, 2016 1:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Why Woodville in 1964

Because they wanted to screw Torrens over. :D
by RB
Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL web site needs updating please

It doesn't bother me that much but is further proof of how out of touch with the modern world the SANFL have become.

Your website should NEVER out of date in this society.

It's arguably you biggest marketing tool, your biggest, quickest and easiest information hub and generally one the best places where you can talk about what you do.
Agreed.

Maybe it's just me, but I have a feeling this internet thing's gonna get pretty big one day...
by RB
Mon May 09, 2016 8:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: MLB

Jim05 wrote:My Yankees are utter rubbish,

Lol what made you pick the Yankees as your team?
by RB
Tue May 10, 2016 10:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Save the Tigers

What ye sow, so shall ye reap, Chiggy...
by RB
Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 938

Just checked - that 1999 match between South and Centrals had 950 in attendance.

Almost every crowd figure under 1100 in the 2000s and beyond have been at Noarlunga.

Unfortunately, Channel 7 made it quite an easy decision for a lot of Magpies/Power supporters.

If nothing has grabbed the SANFL's attention regarding the deteriorating crowds, hopefully this will.

I understand the SANFL is determined to have matches shown on Channel 7's main channel, but this type of scheduling isn't good. If this match had been played tomorrow and been on TV (and Glenelg-Sturt played today at the Bay), then you're looking at at least 1,200-1,300 straight away. That's not great, but there's something symbolic about a three-figure crowd number.

You make a good point and it could be any side that had a low turn-out. The scheduling of a game just before a Port Power direct telecast has hurt South badly. With Channel 7 giving a direct telecast of the SANFL was always going to be bad. Probably good for ratings although most PA supporters would have turned it off with South belting them. Did the SANFL program the Port Reserves and Adelaide Crows byes to coincide with the AFL sides byes. Convenient.
The SANFL needs to become its own master and do what is best for its own clubs.
The Eagles should rightly feel very, very aggrieved to have a bye on the one week where there are no AFL games in Adelaide, and particularly when the Crows have the bye. Why were the Power Reserves playing this week and not the Eagles?
by RB
Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R13 - Central v Adelaide @ Elizabeth

It's a fantastic effort Phil and I'd love to see 4k+ crowds at every SANFL game. I'd just like to see it without the AFL Reserves in the league thats all.
And I know where Wild Dog is coming from. Unfortunately the poor advocates that are the SANFL will only be too willing to use your hard work for their own ends and argue that crowds are up where the Reserves play so they are doing a good job. They will of course ignore all the other facts to the contrary.
Good point. Idiots like Mark Bickley might point to the crowd of 4,000 and go on about how the reserves teams are drawing in loads of new fans, but I bet he would have no idea about the work that Phil does.
by RB
Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Would any SANFL team consider 'John Butcher' next year?

Magellan wrote:
another grub wrote:I hear Poochera are interested

According to my chum Bone they won't bite. Pound for pound there are hairs all over this club, dogged with dodgy pals. Maybe he's a chance at Mt Barker.

I'm hearing that Kennelworth might be where he ends up.
by RB
Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R16 - Port v WWT Eagles @ Alberton

Also West Torrens started in 1897, not 1894.
by RB
Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Test Tour - Sri Lanka 2016

Just pathetic!
This mob is an embarrassment to Australian cricket

Jesus you are negative all the time jim. We are still number 1 ranked in the world ffs. Give credit where it's due, mendis won the game for them. Okeefes injury hurt us big time.

The sky isn't falling.
Oh come off it.
It's ******* disgraceful!
Top order batted disgracefully both innings and our bowlers bowled tripe in the second innings. Embarassing that Nevill and a injured SOK can bat for so long and with all the patience in the world whilst the guys at the top treat it like a T20. Some of our dismissals you would be ashamed of in club cricket, how about valuing your wicket and trying to grind out a knock?
Smith's dismissal in the first innings was one of the more pathetic dismissals in test cricket.
by RB
Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R18 - Who Cares Cup @ Alberton Sunday

zipzap wrote:Younie left the game at 3 qtr time to go to the main event. Cnut.

Amazingly, that abortion of a football club is still, somehow, finding a way to reach new lows.
by RB
Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

If you'd told me this discussion would go for Ceylon I would have said 'I don't Bolivia.'
by RB
Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Prison Release Umpires

I don't see what the fuss is all about. South Australian teams have been playing against convicts from across the border for decades...
by RB
Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Finals Week 1

Something tells me Hawthorn aren't done yet. Non-knockout finals mean little.
by RB
Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: South v Adelaide AO Sunday 12:10

robranisgod wrote:Two points for a win and one for a draw is another much more sensible thing the SANFL does

It cracks me up how the other leagues use four and two. I mean why not use 200 points and 400 points if they're not going to use one?
by RB
Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What VICS01 said

If you think we're getting shafted now a reserves comp would totally screw us over.

F@$& all media, AFL clubsAFL wanting to run junior development, diminished dividends.

I don't like the current situation but the other alternatives are far worse.

Unfortunately we aren't going back to pre-2014.
Not possible.
by RB
Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Best Recruit since 2000

Martin Mattner
by RB
Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah, I'm just interested if there's a dollar value/conditions/number of AFL listed players in the side etc, point where AFL reserves would be accepted in the SANFL.
No $ value for me. They could give the clubs a million each year, and while it would, at least mathematically, be a better deal, the league would still be prostituting itself and the reserves sides would still be a cancer on the competition.

You can't put a price on integrity.
by RB
Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Finals Week 2

@carey

Interested in your thoughts re the implications for the Crows if they have to play Hartigan on Buddy?
by RB
Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Finals - Week 3 LIVE Scores

12.5 SCORING GOAL OR BEHIND AFTER PLAY HAS ENDED

12.5.1 Goal or Behind Recorded in Certain Circumstances
Even though play has come to an end, a Goal or Behind shall be recorded for a Team if:

(a) the Goal or Behind is scored by a Player from a Free Kick or Mark
which was awarded to the Player before play came to an end; or
(b) the Goal or Behind was scored by a Player who disposed of the football before play came to an end; or
(c) the Goal or Behind is scored by a Player who was awarded a Free Kick under Law 12.6.

12.5.2 Football Touched in Transit
A Behind shall still be recorded under Law 12.5.1 if the football is touched in transit by another Player, provided the field Umpire is satisfied that the scoring of the Behind was not assisted by a Player from the same Team.
by RB
Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2016 SANFL Grand Final - Sunday Sep 25 (Adelaide Oval)

Well done Sturt, ironically that takes them to 14 flags, one more than North to make them the 2nd most successful current SANFL club behind Norwood in the SANFL but every North supporter I know including myself was barracking for Sturt today as it was a win for a real club.
There are only two 'real' clubs in the SANFL, South and Central.
by RB
Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I need to know....

Probably steer clear of Bob Day. :lol:
by RB
Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian International Summer

A bit of a long shot, but Kurt Patterson is a batsman who has been very consistent for the last couple of years for NSW. You've got to be pretty good to get picked for NSW and given his solid FC record they could do worse than give him a go...
by RB
Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

bennymacca wrote:The bbl is the best thing to happen to Australian cricket since the World Series.

It's certainly the best thing to happen to 20/20 cricket.

Test cricket, on the other hand...
by RB
Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2012 Brownlow

marbles wrote:mitchell now better than leigh matthews?

No.
by RB
Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2016/2017

RustyCage wrote:How long do we persist with Kelvin Smith?

Not sure, but I think Jake Winter has been making some runs at district level. ;)
by RB
Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Surprised Maddinson has been selected ahead of Patterson.
by RB
Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A-League season 2016-17

Amor has more class than all the other coaches put together - you should see how Arnold and Muscat act every week.

The amount of times he's played down questions about referees whilst under immense pressure this season and last tells you about the character of the man. I guess that frustration built up on Friday but he's still by far and away the coolest coach the A-League has ever seen.
by RB
Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

I reckon it's way easier to give them the extra 20c or whatever so that the change is a $ figure, but then I did maths at school...
by RB
Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I agree with Dutchy. The more you mess with it, the more the integrity of the comp is damaged.
by RB
Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I agree with Dutchy. The more you mess with it, the more the integrity of the comp is damaged.
Either something has integrity, or it doesn't. The SANFL sold its integrity for the metaphorical equivalent of a turd covered in glitter with a note attached saying 'by the way, this is not a turd'.

Whilst I agree with capping, it won't restore integrity until the reserves side are removed. We're still shuffling deckchairs on the Titanic.
What I meant was, having caps on AFL players may be fairer in terms of competition but doesn't improve the integrity issues.
by RB
Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How do Head, Finch, Bailey and M. Marsh get picked ahead of Khawaja?
by RB
Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Stupid ,drunk,or just a footballer?

What I mean is, if it's a crime to leave the scene of a crime, then there are literally double the number of crimes committed than what we think!
by RB
Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So let test cricket die a slow death at the expense of t20? Yeah that will suit the traditionalists!
Have less of a problem with it in places that don't get crowds, e.g. the Gabba.

However Adelaide over the last decade or so has attracted better crowds per capita than just about any test match in the world. For me having a night test here is like having the AFL GF, the Melbourne Cup or the Clipsal at night. Just not needed.
by RB
Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wade can get ****** if he wants.
by RB
Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Starc doesn't really have a basement to his bowling performances. If he doesn't take wickets he becomes wayward and ineffective.
by RB
Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bombers4EVA wrote:Why isn't Ashton Agar playing more often?

Because he's not very good.
by RB
Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

bennymacca wrote:Fair dinkum you blokes are cooked

Lol this coming from a guy who thinks mankadding is a 'pretty crappy thing to do'.
by RB
Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bird you star, bet he didn't think he'd equal a world record in this test when he found out he wasn't going to be playing.
by RB
Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Player movement 2017

Over the last 15 years we have had great SANFL ruckmen, Lindsay, O'Hara, Parry, Redden, Jacobs, Biglands to name a few and have only 2 premierships to show for it.
Redden was very far from being a great SANFL ruck man (although he did play in a premiership).

Jacobs and Biglands didn't play that many games. The only season Jacobs played more than a couple of games in was 2006 when the Eagles won the flag.

Lindsay and Parry won flags (Parry BOG) and O'Hara played well in two losing GF teams and would have got flag if he'd stuck round another year.

I'd say that the Eagles' success has coincided with having top ruck men (although how Brad Dabrowski got a state game I'll never know).

Having said that I think an improved midfield would give them a good chance at the premiership in 2017.
by RB
Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2016/2017 Big Bash League

220 would have been a good score in a 50-over match at one point...
by RB
Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Soooooo, how's this weather?

That Poisson Distribution thing looks pretty fishy.
by RB
Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Player movement 2017

Magellan wrote:
oldfella wrote:be warned westies will be back in the 8 this year and we will be hunting the eagles in the grand final

My team's looking to break into the top 8 as well. ;)

But there are only eight teams?
by RB
Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |