Search found 787 matches

Return

Re: Australian International Summer

Brodlach wrote:None of the top 18 run getters from the Matador Cup are in the Australian squad

Incredible stat.
by RB
Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Should Australia Day date be changed?

No biggie on the date but I'm dead against a flag change

Not quite sure why we have to have a union jack on our flag these days. But I like the blue and the southern cross
I love the current flag. Like it or not the Brits are a huge part of our history
Australians are an even bigger part of Australian history.

I think it's the ultimate act of subservience to have another country's flag on your own flag. We can remember the influence of the UK (and indeed of the many other nations from whom our antecedents migrated) without having another country's flag on top of ours.
by RB
Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Should Australia Day date be changed?

If we made Australia Day Sept 23 (my birthday) does that forgive us the past sins we've committed?
If you think that's what it's about then you're missing the point.

Go for it... open canvas....
Those favouring a date change don't do so because they think moving the date will 'forgive past sins' or achieve reconciliation or improve the lives of our indigenous people in any material way. It is also pretty silly of people to insinuate that those who favour a date change will simply forget about past injustices if 26th January ceases to be Australia Day.

Though we can't (and shouldn't) forget what happened on 26 January 1788, we as Australians can choose our own national day. Simply, 26th January for a number of reasons just isn't, IMO, the most appropriate day. Myself and millions of other people feel that a much better choice would be a day when all Australians can celebrate - this is what this debate is about.
by RB
Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

RB wrote:Longest innings (timewise) I've ever seen for a diamond duck.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... ew=innings
by RB
Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian tour of India 2017

Won't win too many matches with M. Marsh batting at six.
by RB
Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you laugh

This could go in the 'laugh', 'sad' or 'shits threads in equal doses. Wherever it belongs, it's an ad from the federal government's finance department spruiking its graduate entry program, and it's so ******* horrible it's funny...until you develop the urge to rip your own eyes out.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/this-hilarious-department-of-finance-video-may-be-the-worst-government-ad-ever-20170228-gunrhy.htm

0zlEFTgk1tg
I was expected bad, but wow, that was terrible.

Should've hired actors .
But think of the money they've saved! ScoMo would be proud, although he might get a nasty phone call from the actor's union. ;)

On that point, I felt sorry for the graduate staff who appeared in that ad - I'm not sure their job descriptions involve acting or recorded performances, made to do something they're not qualified for.

Couple that with what looks like the most boring government department in Canberra and I reckon that even if they shelled out for Sir Lawrence Oliver, Robert De Niro, Katherine Hepburn and Martin Scorsese they still couldn't find a way to make Finance look half interesting.
This is a much better attempt:

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/check-out-the-feeds-spoof-of-the-department-of-finance-ad-20170302-gup8mb.html
by RB
Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Not sure what Kohli's done in this test to earn a stump?
by RB
Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

daysofourlives wrote:By saying Marsh is injured and not dropped it makes it easier for them to bring him back at any time they feel the urge without any form whatsoever.

Exactly. Not as if he did anything in the Shield after coming back from his previous 'injury'.
by RB
Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Grenville wrote:
Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:I don't like the balance of our side. Smith, Handscomb and O'Keefe all have two middle names, that's too many for mine.

I counted three with the latter.

Two and three middle names are OK. Chaminda Vaas had 5.

That took 15min to pronounce.
by RB
Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2016/2017

Good to see the guy that had been making runs all season at District level get picked and then make runs for the State side. Should have been selected earlier of course.
by RB
Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A-League season 2016-17

It was a pretty poorly refereed match. Didn't really control the game and should have sent Kristensen off for touching him (Amor got sent off a few months ago for something not as bad).
by RB
Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2016/2017

How about Junction Oval or the St. Kilda Cricket Ground? Kardinia? Every single district ground in Melbourne?
by RB
Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I don't care how good Shaun Marsh is at playing spin, the last fifteen years have shown that Test cricket is beyond his capabilities and he should not have been in this team.
by RB
Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

I think there should be a AFL Reserves comp.

I don't think it will have a more negative impact on state leagues that the current situation.

In fact, I see it as a positive.

The state leagues can then brand them as the alternative they once were.

a lot of it depends on whether the sanfl wants to be the lowest professional league (as it arguably is now) or the highest amateur league, which it would likely become if there was a national reserves comp

the first one comes at a massive cost to tradition which has probably already happened. the latter comes at a cost to the quality of the comp. and would the clubs survive that financially?
I don't think it would have an impact financially. I'm not sure that anyone who still goes cares that much about the quality. At the very least, I can't think that a further decline in quality is going to cause people who are still going to stop going/buying memberships.

Those who are concerned solely with the quality of football probably left for the AFL 25 years ago.
by RB
Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: US

Corona Man wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I think we should send Hanson overr there. That Will sort them out

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

You mean the boy band from the late 90's?... MBop?

Boy band?
by RB
Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I am sorry if that means the SANFL gets slightly compromised,
Lol 'slightly' compromised. There is no slightly. Integrity is absolute. Nothing can be 'slightly' compromised, especially not the competitive nature and soul of the league.
the AFL teams being competitive and successful is more important than the purity and sanctity of the SANFL competition. None of you will like hearing that, but it's correct nonetheless.
The statement is neither correct nor incorrect - as the relative importance of the AFL and SANFL is entirely subjective, it cannot possibly be right or wrong.

The statement is, however, dim-witted and juvenile.
by RB
Mon May 15, 2017 11:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bone wrote:The Crows and the Power have not been the magic bullet everyone imagined.

Bwahahahaha!!! :lol:
by RB
Thu May 18, 2017 8:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NEW SANFL WIN/LOSS STATS

^Agree with Aerie. 2011 is totally insignificant. 2014 was the big change.
by RB
Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australia Tour of Bangladesh

Bird is a good bowler but Sayers is better.
by RB
Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australia Tour of Bangladesh

The partnership is finally broken...
by RB
Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2017 AFL Season

Yeah understand that. Think Geelong situation is different to MCG-Etihad residents but know the rule
It seems to me that the Docklands tenants are in the same position as Geelong. IIRC there have only been five or six finals matches played at Docklands. I understand that the AFL might want to maximise attendances and not schedule matches between two Victorian teams there, but against non-Victorian teams, Docklands tenants can be considered pretty unlucky IMO not to host finals when they've earned the right - e.g. Bulldogs v Crows two years ago was played at the MCG.
by RB
Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Finals - Week 1

Magellan wrote:
UK Fan wrote:Cotton vs Laird bigger mismatch than McGregor vs Mayweather.

Cotton's future at Norwood hanging by a thread?

Responsibility lies with the Norwood board for appointing him, IMO. As they say, you reap what you sew.
by RB
Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Finals - Week 1

Crowd 10,429 ....

Good to see Ports "one club" 60,000 members got behind their team.
No AFL game over the weekend too.
Good to see them support their ressies side by the masses.

Pathetic!
I don't blame them. Who's really interested in reserves matches? I think I went to an SANFL Reserves GF featuring the Eagles reserves side once (i.e. before a League GF the Eagles weren't playing in), but apart from that have never shown any interest in actually attending a reserves match.

There is no sport, no league anywhere in the world where more than a handful of people are interested in watching the reserves.
by RB
Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

One thing that certainly needs to change is the name of the team. The vast majority of the team are not Magpie footballers, but Power reserves. If they are going to call themselves the Magpies, then, once the Power are out of the finals, the team should be comprised totally of MAGPIE footballers, not Power squad members (Power reserves). As one player stated yesterday, we know very little of the Magpie identity, we just play for the few boys in this team for whom the Magpies means something.

I have no problem in Power Reserves players playing for Port, just that it really has to be Power Reserves, not Magpies.

Cheers

We have a right to say what we think of our competition, but definitely no right to tell a club what they call themselves.
Come on, the "Magpies" are hardly a club, they're just the reserves side for the Power.

You can't dictate what they call themselves, but really, common sense has to be paramount, I mean they're the Power reserves side. They have nothing in common with the old Magpies save the prison bar.
by RB
Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you laugh

Crows FB.png
by RB
Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: World Cup 2018

bennymacca wrote:It’s gonna suck when it goes to 48 teams

Yep. Qualifying for the World Cup shouldn't be easy.
by RB
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

My view of the game - got to see the goals up fairly close:
by RB
Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: FFA Cup 2017

The player should get a couple of games. It was a pretty stupid thing to do from an experienced player, although it's not as if he kicked the kid like Hazard, he just came in way too hard to try and steal the ball.

However the fact that Marrone did the wrong thing doesn't mean that the kid is in the clear.

The kid should not be glorified in any way let alone given a medal. How is it fair that this one kid who does the wrong thing (and knew what he was doing) gets a medal, while the other 999 ballboys in the A-League/FFA Cup this season, who actually do their job, don't get a medal? Disgraceful that blatant cheating is rewarded. Would be outraged if United gave a kid a medal in circumstances such as these.
by RB
Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Ashes 2017/2018

Brodlach wrote:Lyon has bowled well but hardly been a match winner

Probably been the best bowler in the match. Unthinkable that you would leave him out given the form he's in.
by RB
Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Have the Bangas (or Ireland or Zimbabwe or Afghanistan) play tests in August in Darwin, Cairns and then maybe Brisbane/South Queensland (not at the Gabba though).
by RB
Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Also Kurt Patterson is a player I wouldn't mind seeing wear the baggy green in the next year or two, form permitting.
by RB
Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah Burns was a bit stiff to be dropped originally.
I’d say Burns stats for Australia would be better than Bancroft and Renshaw.
Tests:
Bancroft 8 INNS (1 N.O.) - 179 runs @ 26 (1x 50)
Renshaw 18 INNS (1 N.O.) - 623 runs @ 37 (1x 100, 3x 50)
Burns 23 INNS (0 N.O.) - 873 runs @ 38 (3x 100, 4x 50)

I thought Burns was stiff to be dropped.
by RB
Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: T10 cricket has arrived

Corona Man wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:What next?
T5?

How about T.1

Each team gets one delivery, losing team is executed...
by RB
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Tour of South Africa

Can't believe anyone reckons Warner's more of a dickhead than Virat Kohli...
by RB
Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shaun Marsh generally nicks one for single figures when we're battling.
by RB
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Education Department might have a policy where the SANFL should be consulted on designing football ovals, but that doesn't mean that the SANFL has to sanction any game of Australian Rules Football played in South Australia.

Amazing that people think there is some law whereby the SANFL has to agree to a game of football being played...
by RB
Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What makes you think the SANFL would have any say UK Fan? The sanfl don’t own anything that an AFL reserves team would need to operate.

The games would be played as curtain raisers

The fact the sanfl is the controlling Body of all football within sa.

You want to start a brand new football league and play games within sa. You will need the controlling body of sa footballs approval.

Der!!!!!

Why do you think the sanfl had to vote the afl clubs into our league. Why didn’t the afl just state this is what is happening.

No authority maybe !!

Whose going to provide umpires. Afl going to fly them interstate for a curtain raiser ??
The AFL wouldn't need the approval of the SANFL, or anyone else. The SANFL is affiliated with most football leagues in SA, but it does not 'control' football. It isn't illegal to play a game of football in SA without the SANFL's approval.

As for your second point, of course the AFL sides needed approval to enter a competition the SANFL actually runs .
by RB
Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Region.............................................................Governing body........................................Major competition(s)
Australian Capital Territory.........................AFL NSW/ACT.............................................North East Australian Football League / AFL Canberra
New South Wales New South Wales..........AFL/NSW/ACT............................................ North East Australian Football League / Sydney AFL
Northern Territory Northern Territory......AFL Northern Territory..........................…Northern Territory Football League
Queensland Queensland............................AFL Queensland........................................Queensland Australian Football League
South Australia South Australia.................South Australian Football Commission..South Australian National Football League
Tasmania Tasmania.....................................AFL Tasmania............................................Tasmanian Football League
Victoria (Australia) Victoria..........................AFL Victoria................................................Victorian Football League
Western Australia Western Australia........West Australian Football Commission....West Australian Football League

John, what is the basis of your assertion that the description "governing body" provides an exclusive right to sanction the playing of football?

Do you accept the Australian Cricket Board of Control was the governing body of Australian cricket during World Series Cricket?

Governing by its very nature retires the consent of the governed

Pull out your school dictionary and look up the word govern
Lol, they can call themselves the governing body all they like, and yes of course they are a powerful organization affiliated with most or all football leagues in South Australia, but calling themselves the 'governing body' doesn't vest the league with some sort of legal power to prevent private citizens from organising matches of footy.
by RB
Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

John, criticising others for not contributing to the debate when both you and UK Fan have refused to engage with a couple of pretty simple concepts in:
- World Series Cricket occurring despite a "governing body"
- the possibility of people being able to organise private leagues (despite the obvious logistic difficulties; and
- the anti-competitive conduct provisions in Competition and Consumer Law Act.

Did Aussie cricketers sign a 15 year commitment to the acb before World Series cricket started ??

If not irrelevant.

The afl arent a private league

Irrelevant

Who is going to take us for being anti competitive ??the afl port or crows

Good luck with that
Of course the AFL are a private league. It might get an enormous amount of exposure, and attract mass audiences, but it's still a private league. It has the right to determine its membership and do anything it damn well likes, within the law.

I agree that it's a moot point given that contractual agreements between the AFL, its clubs and the SANFL (or SAFC etc.) probably provide for this situation, but I find it utterly bewildering that grown adults don't understand that the SANFL has no real governing authority over football in this state. OK sure, due to its size, finance, history, and affiliations it has some de facto power over the administration of footy in SA, but to suggest that the AFL needs the SANFL's permission to schedule games here (except obviously on land owned by the SANFL), otherwise than where required under a contract, is ludicrous.

I think people on here know my thoughts about the AFL reserves sides, and I would be personally happy to see the back of the cancers ASAP, with or without compensation, but when someone makes stupid remarks I'm gonna call them out for what they are...
by RB
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Suspend a bowler so Chadd can finally play lol!

I am in absolute shock. We've never done anything like this, except maybe Trevor Chappell's underarm, but this is a whole different level given the number of players involved.

My thoughts go to the players who took all those blows in bodyline, AB making the toughest 10,000 runs anyone's ever made against West Indian pace quartets, Dean Jones going to hospital in Indian after saving a test match, all representing Australia, only to have the baggy green disgraced by Smith and co.

I just can't understand why on earth anyone would want to win by cheating? Let alone any Australian...
by RB
Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Rhetoric aside, it is important to note that SANFL supporters who are opposed to the AFL reserves teams being in the competition should in no way be seen as being responsible for any dumb rules imposed on the reserves teams by the SANFL or its clubs.

I think it's pretty clear that many posters on here are seriously critical of a lot of decision-makers in SA football, and not merely the AFL franchises.
by RB
Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R4 Sturt v Port Wednesday 1310

PhilH wrote:BTW - Crowd Figure advised 7965

Were any people 'locked out'? If so it's a shame because on any other ground you could fit at least 10k.
by RB
Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: State game - SANFL v WAFL @ Adelaide Oval Sat. 12/5

Yep. I would usually be the first one along to these games (see avatar), but I won't be there on Saturday.

It's an absolute disgrace that a state match should be a curtain raiser. Probably a good thing I won't be going. I can't stand the thought of having to put up with people filing in, standing up, arranging their gear while I'm trying to watch the state game.
by RB
Thu May 10, 2018 9:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: State game - SANFL v WAFL @ Adelaide Oval Sat. 12/5

Just checked - it was SANFL v WAFL.
by RB
Sat May 12, 2018 4:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Norwood v Centrals Fri 1920

Groucho wrote:I preferred it when we were banned from night games at Norwood Oval. Saturday afternoon 2:10 pm is the time for S.A.N.F.L. football.

I prefer 2.20 - the traditional South Australian time.
by RB
Fri May 25, 2018 8:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL media

They could sell the naming rights to Coopers - there are already two Coopers Stadiums in Adelaide, what's one more?
by RB
Tue May 29, 2018 8:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Could people please stop referring to the sport of Aussie Rules as 'AFL'?
by RB
Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

It's a 'no' to sharing from me.

I wouldn't share with an anorexic. I don't order a meal to 'try it', I don't eat for practice. When I order a meal, I want to eat it. All of it. Plus experience has taught me that I go home fuller if we have our own separate meals.
by RB
Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

JK wrote:Can't ask for much more

I get a bit sick of hearing this. Not because it isn't true, but because I think we should aim a bit higher than honourable losses or honourable draws.

We played well, but once again a moment's poor defending costs us.
by RB
Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Tells you how much of an impact Les Murray and John Warren had on the sport when Martin Tyler quotes them on a world wide coverage and with such high regard!
Maybe, but Martin Tyler's commentary is only being heard in Australia.
by RB
Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |