Search found 26 matches

Return

Re: HFL Central Division

My opinion as a follower of Echunga.

1. I was and am still against us going up to Central.

Why: It's not because i want the club to stay in Country for ever , I don't. I believe it is an admirable goal for the club to want to go up to the next level, but when we are ready as a club.
My feelings are we should take 12 months and really plan for it.
A. our B grade scraped into the finals in country.
B. Under 17's won one game.
C. Under 15's missed finals.
D. No under 13's.
E. Extra cost in running a Central Division A grade team.

Yes our A grade was undefeated, but the rest of the club needs some serious building to compete as a club at Central Division.
Cliche : "The house will fall without good foundations".

BUT,

The club had a meeting and voted to go up. The HFL voted it through or to continue with the promotion / relegation system effectively voting it through.
Then at the eleventh hour the HFL used a loophole to deny it .
So despite the fact, as an individual Echunga follower who thinks we could use 12 months to plan for promotion it does on the surface look poorly handled to say the least by the HFL members on the board involved in the decission making.

On the Mt.Lofty comments. It is completely understandable they would leave no stone unturned to do what is best for their club. The final outcome lies solely with the HFL. It is not a Echunga vs Lofty situation but a question of the rules and playing conditions in which all HFL clubs need to operate under.

My two cents worth.
by The Panther
Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think to be promoted it should be : Win A grade premiership plus finish top of club championship. This would ensure that the club coming up is strong across the entire club.
Relegation criteria to remain the same.
by The Panther
Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Really enjoyed the game at Uraidla . Echunga looked like they have done a big pre season, every player looked lean and up for the contest. Uraidla looked short of a gallop and will benefit from the run.
The difference was the skill level by foot of Uraidla and everytime Uri's needed a lift they were able to produce. The Eberts were good and Richards still a gun.

The depth as the season goes on would be a concern for Echunga . The B grade was a blowout and they wouldn't want Carey or Cranna to go down.
In saying that the recruits looked good and the return of Snell adds much needed height to the backline. Echunga is a stronger side than last year's which dominated country and will need to be. I would say the club would be happy with the first weekend in central.
by The Panther
Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Finding coin at Uraidla . NO PROBLEM !!!
by The Panther
Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 8 - South v Adelaide @ Hickinbotham (Sun 25/5)

Wow, can tell by all the posts there is some real interest in this one :lol:
by The Panther
Fri May 23, 2014 10:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Foxtel Cup 2014

Time for the SANFL to pull the plug on teams playing Foxtel cup. If teams are not in it to win , they are damaging our competitions brand as the best league outside the AFL.
by The Panther
Wed May 28, 2014 10:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 11 - South v Central @ Hickinbotham (Sat 21/6)

One more thing -- IT IS TIME TO GET RID OF THE BURLEY !!!!!
by The Panther
Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 12 - South v North @ Hickinbotham (Sat 5/7)

Very important game for South.

Win - still in touch with Double Chance but more importantly get some breathing space between them & 5th.
Lose - Drop back to the teams fighting for 5th spot & may well be no way back.

Reluctant to go because I haven't seen them win a game LIVE yet - bad omen?
Surely the South Players won't allow another insipid performance like the 3rd 1/4 of the Cows Reserves Game to materialise, will they?

North by 4 goals.

Yeah I was in the same boat , so I made myself get off the couch and go to Glenelg a few weeks back just to prove to myself it wasn't me.

The other 4 games I have gone to are Crows , Centrals and Eagles at Noarlunga and Sturt at Unley.

Maybe we should contact the club and ask for a ransom not to go this weekend.
by The Panther
Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 12 - South v North @ Hickinbotham (Sat 5/7)

South by 19. Good for the competitionif South win. :lol:
by The Panther
Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: River Murray Football League talk

Is it true . Tailem Bend defeated Imperials
by The Panther
Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Elimination Final - South v Eagles @ AO (Sat N 30/8)

I have been jumping up and down with excitement like a 2yr old whenever I think about this game. Followers of other clubs I assume wouldn't understand, but long time South supporters would.

OUR TEAM'S IN THE FINALS !!!!! :lol:
by The Panther
Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Preliminary Final - Port v South @ Adelaide Oval (Sun 14

OK. After 3 hours of not talking , I finally thought hey that's enough sulking for a grown man and told the missus I was going to the shop.

I want to say thanks to the Panthers for a great ride this season. I went to most home games and the odd away game. Plus all 3 finals.
Most games I went with the "Old Man", who was 16 the last time South won the flag .
So it's his fault I ended up following a team that I have never seen in a Grand Final.

I thought I better text mum to see if he was ok , as at the final siren he looked liked someone had stolen his last dollar.

Mum's text " He said he is jacked off cos they played well and got pipped at the post by imports. He has followed them for a long time. He is eating chocolate and he seldom does" ( diabetic ).

South Australia sometimes gets described as a "backwater" , but we love our state and our local footy. This is something people involved with the AFL and other states just don't get and will never get !!!

Good Luck to the Legs next week.
by The Panther
Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just my opinion :

Yes the original understanding of the rules are that Echunga finished in the relagation position ( there may be a loop hole, but do we want to have legal issues every year ? ) .

But,

Do we want the club which won the A grade premiership going back to country. I would suggest that only people with certain agendas would say yes.

We want the HFL being held up in good light and relagating the premiers would certainly not do this.

It will take a resposible vote from the clubs, made with the best intentions for the HFL competition.

" Heads over hearts on this one ".
by The Panther
Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Legs Man, just stop already. Do the club some good and put a ban on yourself on this forum. As an ad bungs supporter, I'm embarrassed!!!

Thanks City

Happy to self impose a week's ban to gain an invaluable view from the Central forum members.

Should be interesting to see how insightful - as opposed to spiteful - they all can be.
Any chance you could make it 6 months. :D

And a few others take a leaf from this book :lol:
by The Panther
Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Aus v Ind Test Series

To say this has shaken the Australian cricketing community would be an understatement.
Thousands of us across the country are now on the eve of going onto the ground , with new found apprehension and lets face it maybe even fear.
I just don't have that Friday excitement as the weekend looms and cricket approaches.

But, I am reminded of something one of my team mates said a few seasons back to me.

I was standing on a ground in the Adelaide Hills , fielding at cover. It was about 400 degrees the opposition were about 2 for 9 million and we still had several overs to bowl.
I wandered over to him at point and said " This is the worst days cricket in my whole life ".
Safe to say his reply made me change my whole outlook on the situation, when he stated " No way, where else in the world can you do this. Play on a beautiful oval with 20 plus other guys who want to play cricket with us ".

So tomorrow it's about going to play cricket with my buddies and 20 plus other guys who will do the same.

Getting out onto the Gabba next week may be the biggest victory of all. Win, lose or draw.

If the boys in the Baggy Green do walk onto the gabba next week, it will be one of the most courageous efforts in a long line of achievements and to me the result will run a very distant second.
by The Panther
Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Aus v Ind Test Series

I can't help but feel disappointed when I hear people criticise others for voicing their frustrations over the change of dates as insensitive and not caring.

The fact is there are two separate issues here.

1. The Phil Hughes incident that lead to his death is an absolute tragedy felt by all.

2. The moving of the Test match albeit necessary is throwing a lot of people's plans into chaos.

My take on it all after seeing Michael Clarke's brave speech on Sunday is the players were definitely in no shape to play the Brisbane test.

Secondly, although it is disappointing that our Test is moving and yes I did take leave to go to all 5 days it was necessary.

Thirdly, I have heard people say just cancel the Brisbane Test. My answer to that is well put yourself in the Brizzy people's shoes. They also want to see a Test match which they no doubt planned for and paid for.

So although I have been grumbling about it at home , my advice to myself and others is " suck it up " for one year because this unfortunate set of circumstances has been born out from an absolute tragedy.

Now fingers crossed my application for a leave change gets approved or day one I will be going in disguise.
by The Panther
Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This ruling is interesting, and dangerous. It's likely given Blackwood, Mt Barker and especially Hahndorf a free ticket to compete in Central Division as recent history suggests these powerhouse Junior Clubs will always register valuable finals wins. The ruling suits Echunga this year, what about next???

I'm sure the smaller Central clubs will now be questioning whether encouraging a handful of boys to develop at underage SANFL level is dangerous as it could cost teams a finals berth and therefore the chance to secure crutial Club points in September? Think of the added pressure should a clubs future hinge on whether a 13-14 year old kid kicks a goal or not after the siren to not only secure a win, but also the Clubs future....

Well not really. The rules just need to be worded correctly to alleviate any misinterpretation.
by The Panther
Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Club Finances

blueandwhite wrote:footy club -160k
licensed club -282k

total... - $442k - if Im reading it correctly....I was at the meeting and Im still in shock.

Don't panic I took the missus to the club for lunch - A few more of those and the cash flow problem should be sorted :roll:
by The Panther
Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well it is all getting a little unsavory on here at the moment isn't it [-(
by The Panther
Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Has all this drama been caused by some peoples obsessive need to require all teams to play each other twice.

If other clubs wanted to come up to central div, couldn't country numbers be strengthened if Blackwood were approached to once again fill 4 senior sides.

Blackwood are already filling 3 senior sides and I believe a few miss out on a game each week. (third side playing amateur league )

They dropped out of C grade because they wanted a more competitive game for their third side.

I believe a major issue for Blackwood when previously in Country Division was their B grade began to struggle in country A grade when the big money hit that competition.
Well with the stronger sides going up to say a 12 team central division ( Echunga staying up and Lofty and Nairne going up ) Blackwood could top up the country div numbers and be more than competitive with the likes of maccy, kangy and gumeracha etc.
Their D grade has won country div reserve flags in the past and I assume they would bring some junior country div sides as well.
by The Panther
Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

He does . IT'S THE ECHUNGA FOOTBALL CLUB . :lol:

Sorry Legsy couldn't help it. ( friendly fire )
by The Panther
Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HFL Country Division

Country Division serves its purpose as a great competition for the smaller populated towns in the Hills.
I don't know why people are so keen to suggest killing off teams and making super mergers in the so called interest of the competition.
A lot of locals want to play for their local town, it is part of their local identity and history. So what if a clubs A grade has a few lean years , most do. It doesn't mean we should panic and complain they are bringing the competition down to an alarming level.

Look at Kangarilla premiers 2006 , struggling now but who knows maybe premiers again in 5 years.
Nairne 40 goal thrashings in central, rebuilt over time in country, now want to go back to central.
Ten or so years ago I saw Ironbank in country smash Birdwood by over 40 goals , then a few years back the chooks beat Blackwood at Blackwood in central.

I don't believe it goes in cycles, but clubs do have lean years. With time they can rebuild.

I say "NO" to the Birdgum Valley football club.
by The Panther
Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Suggestion : Rather than gaining points for wins in regards to the religation race. What about ranking points for where each team finishes on the ladder.
It still could be weighted for each grade, but takes the win / loss out of it. And yes ranking is completed after finals.
by The Panther
Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rd 2 South v Port at the BOT Friday 7.10

Rising Power wrote:
DOC wrote:If Port do not win the premiership this year, it will be the biggest underachievement since,,,

last year.

South supporters should be the last people to talk about underachieving

Not in the 1890's buddy :lol:
by The Panther
Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R2 live scores, boasting and umpire blaming

Isn't it great that we have to wait for some poor fellas to get season ending injuries etc, before our great competition becomes just that . A competition.

To be honest I wasn't even that disappointed with South. Port had 17 AFL listed players who's only thought would have been preparing for tonight's game.
Some of South's blokes who are tradies would have been up at six or before this morning , done at least half a days work , then off to the game.

Playing field even . NOT EVEN CLOSE !!!!
by The Panther
Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |