Search found 221 matches

Return

Re: Great Southern Football League

Time for 2 divisions?

Stop trolling LGIL, yes some clubs are having an off year but it's not consistent like the SFL. The GSFL certainly wont sit on its hands and do nothing like the SFL did. How many clubs disbanded in the last few years to join other leagues because the SFL was disfunctional? Morphetville Park, Edwardstown, Brighton, OSB, Marion? Missing any?

Suggesting Morphettville Park, Edwardstown, OSB Lonsdale & Marion left due to "SFL disfunction" has about as much truth as saying Milang & Port Elliot are no longer in the comp because of "GSFL disfunction".

In all six cases, a problem was dealt with and the respective comps have been better for it.
by Look Good In Leather
Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Time for 2 divisions?

Stop trolling LGIL, yes some clubs are having an off year but it's not consistent like the SFL. The GSFL certainly wont sit on its hands and do nothing like the SFL did. How many clubs disbanded in the last few years to join other leagues because the SFL was disfunctional? Morphetville Park, Edwardstown, Brighton, OSB, Marion? Missing any?

Suggesting Morphettville Park, Edwardstown, OSB Lonsdale & Marion left due to "SFL disfunction" has about as much truth as saying Milang & Port Elliot are no longer in the comp because of "GSFL disfunction".

In all six cases, a problem was dealt with and the respective comps have been better for it.

How so? Milang and Port Elliot couldn't field a team and struggled financially? The above teams seem to be doing alright in a new league.

Play on.

Morphettville Park & Edwardstown were unable to field junior teams - they now play in a league that does not require that
OSB Lonsdale & Marion struggled to compete - they now play at a much lower level

Play on.
by Look Good In Leather
Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Southern Football League

With no games on this week if you still want to avoid the work around the house and watch some local footy, Lonsdale are playing traditional rivals Golden Grove this week at home.
B's at 12.15, A's at 2.15. Free entry. A traditional rivalry with Golden Grove's C-Grade - nice!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
by Look Good In Leather
Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 1 - 2018

Thomas from Modbury won the C6 medal last year with 26 votes in a team that also only won 2 games. Maybe the same club umpire was doing their C1's this year. It's one thing for a club umpire to show a bit of bias with decisions out on the field but a bit of integrity with casting of votes would be nice. "Legranding" has to stop otherwise the league may as well cease handing out medals in grades that have club umpires.

:lol: - Can someone please apply to Macquarie to add this ingenious term to the dictionary :lol:

Looks like someone found a home for it
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Legranding
by Look Good In Leather
Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 3 - 2018

marbles wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:
marbles wrote:Have ramblers ever won a GF even in their rise to Div 1?

Not since 1990

not bad jimbo thanks

a free LIKE to anyone who can list all the grand finals they been runner up...

Seaton Ramblers Runners-Up
1963 A2
1971 A1
1988 A3
1993 A2 (undefeated prior)
1995 A2
2001 D2
2005 D2
2007 D2
by Look Good In Leather
Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

D7 is a very ordinary standard, as it would be expected being the lowest A grade division, but the competition as a whole isn't inferior to AdFL, and over the coming years Marion & OSB will find their place in the pecking order just the same as everyone else - that's the biggest upside to AdFL over SFL, is that there is a place for all clubs regardless of ability - the good ones excel up near the top, the middle range clubs sit middle divs and the battlers sit near the bottom with some good years in the lowest, and some ordinary years higher.

I do not think anyone is in debate with that. I would suggest most football people would recognize that the Adelaide Footy League is a well run organisation, and what is does works really well, but it is solely focused on Senior football and as such is not a direct comparison to our competition.

Our competition is built on maximum community involvement, and as such the integration with three grades of junior football is a key plank in what we do, this is something the Adelaide Footy League does not, and cannot provide. Saturday home games are a significant fundraiser for our clubs, something the AdFL is a long way behind us on. AdFL is a perfect fit for Lonsdale, Marion, Morphettville Park, Plympton, Mitchell Park, Edwardstown, and I expect in time Hackham. All of those clubs struggled (or would struggle now) to regularly field the required Saturday grades, and as such did not fit the expectations of our league. The Adelaide Footy League allows them to play without the expectation of a full 5 games of football and they can find their level as a result.

So yes, Div 7 is a low standard, but it has given those two clubs an opportunity to play at a competitive level, both will eventually find their level at a higher level. A couple of seasons ago they had to play against Brighton, who are now one win away from Division 1, instead they can now compete against clubs at a similar, or this year at a lower, level to them.
by Look Good In Leather
Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 1 - 2018

Start of current stint in Division 1:

Goodwood Saints - 1991
Rostrevor Old Collegians - 2012
Tea Tree Gully - 2013
Adelaide University - 2013
Port District - 2014
Payneham Norwood Union - 2015
Prince Alfred Old Collegians - 2016
Henley - 2018
St Peters Old Collegians - 2019
Brighton Districts and Old Scholars - 2019

Goodwood Saints the only club to remain in Division 1 throughout the entire Semi-Professional era (1996-present).
by Look Good In Leather
Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Whats the go with the missing goal post down at Valleys? Did Hughesy take it because they couldn't pay him enough or? :D :D New junior rules, goals only to be in place during official senior games and removed at all other times.

Encourages focus on skills and fun without the pressure of scoring - which has been proven to be detrimental to their emotional development.

by Look Good In Leather
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 7 - 2019

jo172 wrote:We haven't had this good intra-club bloodletting on safooty since the Ovingham days!

Just on Ovingham, what is going on with their old Twitter account?

Ovingham.JPG
by Look Good In Leather
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 7 - 2019

It's called Glandore Oval Marbles - the former home of the infamous Glandore FC. The summer tenant until the mid 1990's was the Edwardstown CC then the short lived Edwardstown and Old Concordians CC. When that club folded the Adelaide Cricket Club moved there from nearby Bailey Reserve and I'm not sure when the Glandore FC folded but the Westminster OS Dragons have been the winter tenant since 2002.

This should help
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaurna_Eagles_Football_Club
by Look Good In Leather
Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Junior codes

So what would have you done if you ran the league?

In our u16.5 comp Broadview came down from Div 1 and have been undefeated since and will make the GF. They beat us by 90 points but no complaints here as no system is going to be perfect and 95% of people Ive spoken with agree that they have a good balance to ensure competitive games.

Other side of the coin, our U/16 Girls played the first three rounds in the Division 2 competition for three wins, reasonably strong, one big one (Modbury, regraded to Div 3 and finished low), a 46 point win v Happy Valley (finished mid-table) & a 39 point win over Broadview (regraded to Div 3 and finished 3rd).
Based on these results, our team was considered too strong for Division 2 and regraded to Division 1. The team only won one more game for the rest of the year, against Plympton who finished 2nd bottom.

From what I have seen, modifying the competition like this is seriously damaging when fortunes are artificially changed. As the year wore on a number of the girls drifted away from the game sick of losing after starting the season with the promise of a competitive year. Had they started in the higher grade, I would suggest these girls would still be playing as it would have been the circumstance they started with, not being put in the situation where they appear to be a finals competitor and then having that taken from them mid-season. I am told that most of the girls have now given up football, or are looking to shift to teams in lesser competitions, so we are now scrambling to try to hold the group together for 2020.
by Look Good In Leather
Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

“The Council hopes the women’s and junior teams can continue to play football in some format next year.”

What do they mean by this? Is this a case of Marion Council having no understanding of how Southern clubs operate? We generally are not three separate clubs like those on the plains.

Bizarre statement, looks like they are trying to punish the "senior men's club".
by Look Good In Leather
Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Dutchy wrote:So when you break it all down the Crows decision to join the SANFL in 2013 has killed the Magpies. Someone, somewhere will enjoy that.

No, Port Adelaide's decision to turn the Magpies into a reserves team has killed the Magpies. They were only copying the Crows and already had a vehicle to do it.
by Look Good In Leather
Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Dutchy wrote:9 game season? so play everyone once and one team twice?
Nine round season - 8 games and a bye each

by Look Good In Leather
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Grade Cricket

A3E3116D-8FF4-43A1-B04F-C16BA206BDC0.jpeg

The first plans are Aldinga and second Mt Barker. Already being built. But we want to merge Adelaide and Southerns and build a new facility at Darlington? 10 minutes from Glenelg Oval and less than 15 minutes from Sturt’s home ground? As has been mentioned before, the SACA have been very clear that geography in their strategy is irrelevant. The priority is reducing down to 10 clubs, location does not matter.

Which smacks of desperation to get a merger over the line.
Geographically Bice Oval is perfect for a Southern District club and they would know that.

To summarise:

Mergers are the primary objective at the moment. That is the silver bullet that will save the Redbacks.

Location is irrelevant as players will travel if they are good enough. If they are unwilling to train and play in the inner suburbs, they are obviously not committed enough to cricket and therefore SACA are not interested in them.
by Look Good In Leather
Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

On a side note, I don’t think we’ve heard the last of the points situation - latest I heard was the Clubs were banding together to tell the League to get stuffed and they don’t want the one point change for all teams. As for Skrypek playing as a two pointer when he looks like he should be a three - I have no idea where that sits, possibly he is a two somehow.

The rules are very clear, any modifications to the application of the APPS must be approved by the SANFL. The league does not have the ability to change the rule on the fly.
The club is responsible for ensuring it's players are allocated the appropriate value of points and ensuring they comply with the total player points rating.
by Look Good In Leather
Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well it makes all the difference - particularly in regards to a tribunal.

It's a horrible look and act, agreed, and could've ended very badly.. I was just asking if she got her.. probably looks worse than it was - may also explain why it was only a yellow instead of what thought was an obvious red.
Another classic example of the act being punished not the outcome.
Would've thought that's a red card all day. It should always be the act that is punished, outcome should not come into it. Unfortunately we are starting to see an expectation that there should be a penalty everytime someone gets hurt irrespective of the act itself.

I think the outcome should be considered but you are right the act should be punished.

Outcome should only be considered as evidence when determining severity, it should not be the driving factor.

i.e. Throwing a haymaker but not doing damage due to the reaction time of the target turning their head is still a more severe act than a broken nose resulting from a high fend-off during play.
by Look Good In Leather
Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bit deceitful by Torrens on the weekend. Flying in Buckingham and Johnson for Sunday without advising Adelaide.
Not as deceitful as that time the Adelaide CC put out the letter to its members supporting the SACA’s forced merger of West Torrens and Port Adelaide, without advising West Torrens. Which pales into insignificance when compared to their attempted hostile takeover of SDCC last year and the residual damage since

by Look Good In Leather
Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Eagles2014 wrote:Who would have predicted Kensington be in Div 2 next year :shock:
Just wait for the whole concept to be scrapped if any certain teams are found to be in that situation

by Look Good In Leather
Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Must be a worry for the SFL Board. The same five clubs playing finals in the A’s and B’s and four of those in the C’s. Three of them in the U 17.5 finals.
Perhaps the player point system requires a review if not a complete overhaul. As a side note and of interest Porties finished sixth in those four grades. Or look at it the other way, all 9 clubs have at least two teams playing finals across all grades.

More significantly if you look closer, the 4 teams not in the senior finals all have junior Saturday teams in finals, two of those clubs minor premiers and another with a 2nd and a 3rd.

The tide can change very quickly

Dingy havent won a game in 15 and 17.5 s and only jave 13 s in finals with a losing record
Sfl dont give a shit should jave the strongest near city league with the population growth but is clearly the wrost by many measures

Aldinga have performed better this year than Port Noarlunga did last year
by Look Good In Leather
Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |