Search found 221 matches

Return

Re: APPS Country Football

I'm hearing that 2014 could/will be the last year of this interference in country football by Adelaide-based peeps who have no practical understanding of how the club system works in rural regions.

They are protecting all our clubs from ourselves, in their eyes we are reckless spenders who cannot understand business
by Look Good In Leather
Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HFL Central Division

Gus Sickerdick... the President that killed Country Division.
I'm with AF though, I don't think the Clubs of the HFL are so stupid to pass these silly amendments. Otherwise the HFL is the new SFL. The worst and most uneven comp in SA .

your Country Division has been that for many years, no wonder Lofty don't want to join it
by Look Good In Leather
Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 7 2013

tomo wrote:So does anyone know which teams will be in div 7 next season yet??

Don't ask marbles
by Look Good In Leather
Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

With a week to go I will have a crack at how I think it may play out

Assembly
I am not expecting the Liberals to lose any of their existing seats, Adelaide should be held, Dunstan with an increased majority (due to Marshall's profile) and I cannot see Morialta shifting. Van Horst Pellikaan in Stuart is a step too far for the ALP.

In the super marginals - Hartley, Bright and Ashford - it is hard to see the ALP retaining any of these, I am expecting all to be Lib gain.
That will take them to 21 seats in the chamber.

The Liberals have run a massive campaign in Elder behind Carolyn Habib, the ALP in return have only thrown up a repeated failed candidate in Digance. This seat will fall on election night.
Mitchell is harder to read. Again Kris Hanna has thrown his hat in the ring making it a three way race. I would expect most Hanna preferences to go to the ALP which may save Sibbons but the Liberals have thrown a lot at this seat and entered a candidate with a reasonable profile in Corey Wingard. This I think will go down to the wire and will end up a marginal seat for either party as I cannot see Hanna getting higher than 3rd. Too close to call.
Newland, Light and Colton are the three danger seats for the ALP, Newland & Light both have the benefit of sitting ministers. If a swing hits as speculated, I would expect Colton to fall first, the local electorate will see Caica as a dumped minister as having less value as a local member. I think we may see two more Ministers (to join Fox & Portolesi) go in the other two.
That will give the Libs 24 seats, enough to form government in their own right.

The other electorates I think will be interesting:
The battle in Lee between the ALP and Gary Johanson - with no incumbent this suddenly becomes interesting. If Johanson can poll more than the Libs it is his. One to watch.
The Liberals have put a lot into Mawson, this one will be very close. If there is a reasonable swing, this is a big chance to fall. I am going to pick this one to go to the Liberals to take them to 25 seats and another Minister down.
Kaurna has become interesting with the addition of Kym Richardson potentially making this a three way race. The Liberal vote was poor here in 2010 but if Richardson directs his prefs mainly to the Libs this could make this a lot closer. No incumbent for Labor also loses the personal Hill vote that may translate into votes for Richardson. Anything could happen here but I am still leaning to the ALP on this one.
I am expecting the three Independent seats to remain with the incumbents
The only other two seats I can see moving are Florey or Giles. Both I think will be held by the ALP, but if there is a big swing could go.

Overall prediction - Liberal 25, ALP 18 or 19, Independent 3 or 4

Council
Upstairs in the Council I am expecting 4 Liberal, 1 Green (Parnell), 1 Family First (Hood), 3 ALP and John Darley

Looking at the preference distributions The last will be between the ALP and the multitude of Independants & Minors.

The candidates I think have a shot are Kyam Maher (ALP), Esther Simbi (D4D), Mark Henley, Joseph Marsika, Neil Armstrong (Fishing & Lifestyle), Michael Hudson (Shooters & Fishers), Mark Aldridge, Trish Nguyen (Multicultural) & Grantley Siviour (NAT).

Could this finally be Mark Aldridge's turn? The serial candidate has favourable preferences from the LDP, Multicultural Party, Fair Land Tax, Katter, Shooters & Fishers & Your Voice Matters.
The smoky is Mark Henley with strong preferences from the ALP, FREE, D4D, Multicultural Party, Joseph Masika, Legal Euthanasia, Animal Justice, Your Voice Matters and importantly Xenophon.
Interestingly the Nationals And Family First have lodged almost exactly the same ticket.

I am going to tip Esther Simbi (Dignity 4 Disability) to join Kelly Vincent with leftover Xenophon preferences and ALP preferences after Maher and the second Green candidate are elimitated with some reasonable first prefs
by Look Good In Leather
Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL division 5 2014

Twice sides have been dropped into our (North Haven) division and twice they have made a GF and we have finished third but i think this time it will be different by the sounds of things.

Well for starters I don't fancy our chances of finishing top 3 but i would hate to finish 9th and them 8th

Being relegated is a moot point. By all reports Glenunga were building a very good side that would have likely finished above ninth anyway. D5 just eliminated a serious contender.

Do you think people at Glenunga might be a bit peeved that they were gearing up for a run at the premiership, and now they're gonna be fighting to make finals in Div 4.
No, they would have declined the offer

No, they have at a minimum guaranteed themselves a spot in Div 5 in 2015, or at best a spot in Div 3
by Look Good In Leather
Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Southern Football League

Mal Ralph what a character ! Say what you want about him but he is passionate about his footy and his kids seem to play for him! Noarlunga have recruited some quality and seem to be using some of there points ! Simon dean back from west is a massive in !! Still got a way to go but I believe they are chasing players around Australia !! Pomeroy from valleys to flaggies interesting !! Cove still losing players on clearance list so think they will be rebuilding!! Hackham big movers never thought I would say that!! And Bachman back to Christies to play with his buddy Ben princi! Top three reynella , morphie park and valleys ! Raffle the next eight spots !

Bachmann a big in if he still has his pace, a former mail medal winner like Pomeroy big surprise but struggled to crack A-grade 2 years ago for vikings.

Numerous Denied on the clearance list to Hackham especially from Cove (Vics01 making friends?) will they be cleared by the weekend?

Brighton and Hackham the big improvers for 2014

Shoes, Cove and maybe Porties to miss finals

Wineflies favourites unless Vikings can pull things together or Roos can stay injure free?

Brighton have lost another one to Sammy at Peake with Aysh Simper leaving Brighton.

I was wondering where Princi was playing, interesting to see him go to Christies, has he ever played for them?
And if what was said earlier is true Greenbank will be a huge inclusion for MV!

Former junior
by Look Good In Leather
Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Clubs in strife

Mawson Lakes and Pooraka have the same postcode the league should have made them merge ........... regardless of what club you are how much cash you got some of these clubs are just to near eachother and should be forced to merge

Greenacres and gepps cross
Pooraka and mawson lakes
smithfield and elizabeth
north pines and salisbury west

these are just a few i can think of and while people will get there knickers in a knot the future of the game is more important then any of your clubs

this may the most ridiculous thing i have ever read... "Hey phos/edwarstown/morphies/kenilworth wanna merge with us, we aren't struggling for players and we have done ok the last couple of years, but why not?"....
the history of my club is far to important to throw away because of some clubs struggling.
Please...

the history of the club is so much more important then the game ......do you even do your research before you post i mentioned all north teams cause we all with in a stones throw of each other i can drive for 5-15 minutes and get to 6 other clubs i go an extra 5 minutes on that another 3 clubs clearly you know nothing of the north

Woodville and West Torrens merged they still have the history of both clubs
and if pooraka had to merge with mawson lakes to survive then so be it the history still follows where ever pooraka goes

Brompton say Hi!
Torrensville United say Hi!
Magill Royal say Hi!
Kensington Gardens say Hi!
Clarendon say Hi!
Woodville Royal say Hi!
Greek say Hi!
Stirling say Hi!
Riverside say Hi!
Semaphore Park say Hi!
by Look Good In Leather
Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Why Correct me??
:roll: :roll:
They weren't around before!! there was no Mawson Lakes football club!! St Pauls old scholars may have started them off but they are at Mawson Lakes called Mawson Lakes Fc!!

They didn't start, they moved to a new location with a new name...????? WTF???

According to the SAAFL "St Pauls OS renamed Mawson Lakes"

They are the same club, no different to Abattoirs changing to Pooraka, Unley changing to Unley Mercedes or University changing to Adelaide University
by Look Good In Leather
Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL division 5 2014

We have a junior from our club, went to Port, and is now at Port District, with no other connections that I can see.

We would have on average 10 a year in that boat mate, the sooner Port Adelaide lose thier juniors the better it will be for the Port Adelaide area.
We have lost around six to Broadview through Nth Adelaide connection this year out of our U15 side.
Now we have 12 on the track and look like not having a side.
One side gone.
It's bullshit.

This is one of the reasons why the SANFL is dying. The clubs have this whole high and mighty attitude that we are merely feeder clubs to them. We encourage our best talent out to them and get nothing in return.

What they do not wish to accept is that a premiership for Rostrevor, or Reynella, or Uraidla, or Barossa Districts means no less to those clubs than an SANFL premiership does to Norwood, or an AFL premiership does to Hawthorn. Our existance does not revolve around providing players to our zoned club :evil:
by Look Good In Leather
Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It is interesting to note that the u/18 competition with 13 has more sides than both the u/16 and u/14 competitions who only have 10 sides each. This would go against the trend in most competitions even accounting for the availability of ex-college kids who are newly available on Saturday. Also interesting that all the DTH are filling sides, yet three sides past cement hill failed to fill their own independent side.

I think you'll find these clubs all have Sunday 14's and 16's although I think Marion and MVP are with struggling for under 16's....I cant help but feel that this is due to non capping of junior sides which allows a club to field multiple teams when other clubs don't field one for certain grades. Doesn't lend itself to an even comp, hopefully this doesn't result in Sunday 16's comp folding like last season cause not so sure other clubs will be so accommodating this year.

In business you do not suddenly make weak competitors strong by restricting the stronger companies.
It is not the stronger clubs' role to recruit players on behalf of weaker clubs. I agree with capping players per team to ensure each team entered is on an equal footing and that set squads should be in place, but if a club is able to recruit enough players for 5 teams within one grade, then they should be allowed to field each of those teams.
by Look Good In Leather
Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Brighton v Roos - Roos by 32 points.
Christies v Emus - Emus by 24.
Vikings v Lions - Vikings by 150.
Marion v Cove - Cove by 40 points
Shoes v Hawks - Hawks by 5 points
Flies v Flaggies - Flies by 60 points
Porties v Sharks - Porties by150 points

3 potentially close games IMO but time will tell. Agree with previous post that BDOS and Roos will be game of the round . Also think Shoes vs Hawks will be a good game to watch. Keen to see how the Hawks have progressed from an improived season last year.

Might draw a bumper crowd of about 20 people
by Look Good In Leather
Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Why Marion and M/P did not merge 18 teams is beyond me. The reality is if kids get flogged every week they will walk away in this day and age of everybody is a winner and give it to me now. At least a merged 18 would have sufficient numbers and be competitive.

Absolutely not, if you can field a team, do it. One season a few years back we fielded an U/18 team when we only had 7 players. Each week we would scratch together a team by adding a few U/16s or even U/14s to get up to the minimum 14 players, then they went out and got belted.

By about half way we had managed to scratch a few more together to ease the burden on the younger grades, having a team in the first place is better than none at all, it gives you a base to work from.

The best part of this was each of those 7 players is still at the club, two are in the B-Grade, one is a junior coach, another a team manager, 2 others also assist the junior coach. Every single one has become a valued member of the club and each is grateful that we did not pull the pin on them. None of them seem to have any adverse effects due to losing a few games by a large margin. This was only 6 years ago, fortunately since then our numbers have been better.

Getting belted is still better than not playing at all.
by Look Good In Leather
Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Tribunal 2014

Just thought I'd let everyone know that the Tribunal is cracking down big time this year - they're even giving people weeks for slamming doors!

Ned Heath from Henley got red carded for an incident in round 1 v Salisbury North; an incident that even all Salisbury North people that I have heard from said was not deserving of a red card.
So he went to the tribunal last night and as he gave an (early) guilty plea and had a good record, he was given 3 weeks down from 6. He and those he was with were surprised at the penalty to say the least. (Keep in mind that Grocke just this week got 7 weeks for his hit on Symes in the SANFL).

On his way out of the room, the Tribunal were of the opinion that Heath shut the door a bit too hard, and gave him an extra week, taking his penalty to 4!

Now tell me if I'm wrong if I think that this is a bit over the top. Turn it up Tribunal.

How stupid can you be? Spitting the dummy and slamming the door on the way out he gets everything he deserves.

Sounds a class act
by Look Good In Leather
Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Has the points system had a negative effect on grass roots football? Is it more of a coincidence that when this came in, it made college sides stronger and the less aussie rules populated area weaker?
Has it? Why do you say that?
Because it gives them access to an exceptionally large number of zero pointers without having to do the ground work (ie running junior teams). Even a large junior program will not produce that amount of zero pointers.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
by Look Good In Leather
Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Has the points system had a negative effect on grass roots football? Is it more of a coincidence that when this came in, it made college sides stronger and the less aussie rules populated area weaker?
Has it? Why do you say that?
Because it gives them access to an exceptionally large number of zero pointers without having to do the ground work (ie running junior teams). Even a large junior program will not produce that amount of zero pointers.

What do you call Collegiate Football?
Enforced slavery

by Look Good In Leather
Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

DTH I understand Sacred Heart College are seeking advice in relation to a middle aged man stalking college boys and waving contracts around this morning near the school back gate!! How did you go??

That may have been our Club Secretary topping up an Under 18 list that is at the mercy of the SANFL this season. He is a master at his craft. I believe the lad he was pursuing will have limited availability for Brighton but we need everyone we can get because if the majority of the 13 Under 18's we have at Glenelg or South get picked in the SANFL in a given week then we are in big trouble.

Sacred Heart won an U/16 premiership last year under the Brighton banner, maybe they are now trying to get them to transfer to the club properly.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought we play club footy..... therefore a player pulling on the bomber Guernsey is then playing for his club, not school... Therefore if Morphetvale win a flag, it is NOT Wirreanda high school winning one, it is the EMU's... if Happy Valley win a flag, it is NOT the Hub high school wiining one, it is the VIKINGS.... It is regardles of where they come from.... I would imagine few if any clubs would have all or majority of the kids and/or seniors for that matter playing for them who went to the 'closest' school to them. In fact I dare say Brighton's seniors would be ONE OF the closest to 'perfect' in that regard.

I wore a South Adelaide guernsey in a mini-league game once, can I claim I played league footy?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m96qikFvMa1qlydob.jpg
by Look Good In Leather
Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Crows reserves supporters

It would be criminal if people left their SANFL side to support the crows reserves. I hope no one has done it.
Wouldn't surprise, after all look how many crows/power supporters deserted their original VFL/AFL clubs in 1991 & 1997......

Because most of use were passive supporters of teams in the VFL. It was the Victorian comp.
It's a bit like when I am told that I should hate Collingwood, I don't get it - they are just another Melbourne team, I hate Port Adelaide.

I do always laugh at those former Collingwood supporters who jumped on to the Power and now "hate" them.
by Look Good In Leather
Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: State game??

HH3 wrote:So you dont want anyone under SANFL standard having the opportunity to represent their state?

Should they?

Surely the team representing the state would be the best 22 in the state?

Otherwise, what's the point?
by Look Good In Leather
Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

(PS. I still think it's s***house - maybe it made more sense 25 years ago. It'd be fair enough IF all clubs were on a more even footing and money was the primary issue, but for teams like Aldinga it seems more like an attempt to force kids to stay rather than to prevent other clubs from poaching them.)

No it is a safety net for running junior programs. Why put 6-12 years into a player only to have them leave unrestricted once they hit seniors?
Most clubs don't enforce it, more use it as a bargaining tool in discussions with the player and/or destination club, but still have the right to hold the player if the situation merits it.

It is a critical component of the fabric of our league, even though it was watered down last year.

OK, THAT makes more sense. Sorry - I had no idea that this rule even existed, and the way the paper made it sound, I thought it would be a non-negotiable blanket restriction on all junior players. That's what I get for reading the Tiser, I guess.

All it means is that clubs are entitled to refuse clearance to a junior who has not given three years of senior football service to the club, similar to if they were on a 3 year contract. There is nothing to stop a club from agreeing to clear the player, and this usually happens as in most cases this is the logical outcome for all parties.
by Look Good In Leather
Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: JUNIOR FOOTBALL

watching the U12s div2 (maroon league) i find that them using the whole oval is a little bit to big to keep the little tackers in the match?

Seen an under 10 game with a 3/4 oval? Basically a rolling maul unless you have an umpire they pays regular free kicks to spread it out.

Playing on a full oval does seem big at u10/12 level but it keeps the game more open and flowing than reducing the size IMO.

At Cove we prefer the u10's to play on full size to open the game up but negotiate with the opposition with what they'd prefer

At Cove, full size would be about 3/4 :)
by Look Good In Leather
Tue May 06, 2014 12:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 3 2014

jo172 wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:
Upthefalcons wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:Steve Carr, was the old coach (before Rocky)?

So still going backwards?

Ouch.

Could we say the same about your committee then?

95% (4/5 of the Executive) of whom are doing their first tour of duty ;)

4/5 = 80%

by Look Good In Leather
Wed May 07, 2014 1:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Junior Football

Do you play football to have fun?
Do you like losing?
Do you like it when you get lots of kicks?
Do you like kicking goals?
Do you like it when big kids hurt you?

I think I have an idea of how this survey is going to go...

by Look Good In Leather
Tue May 06, 2014 8:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 3 2014

The Dark Knight wrote:Kilburn made this weeks Sportsbeat quiz.

You gave away the answer
by Look Good In Leather
Fri May 09, 2014 12:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Aldinga Sharks Forum

Old Dog New Tricks wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:
Sooking - debatable

Proud and defensive of our League - guilty

How do you suggest I should approach it?
Stop carrying on as if anyone cares would be a start

I care, that's all that matters :)
by Look Good In Leather
Mon May 19, 2014 11:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Aldinga Sharks Forum

Well, I've just seen the Tiser's latest - a proposed AFL curtainraiser vs Kilburn . I was still digesting that when I saw the accompanying photo - it's my other half dressed up in a Port Power jumper. What the f*** is going on?!

As per the SFL Constitution:
25 i) No club shall at any time arrange or play any match (other than such matches as are officially arranged by the League) without the express permission of the League being first being obtained.
25 ii) The provision of 25 i) of this rule shall not apply to practise matches to be played before the opening matches of the League Season and which are played between teams from the same club or with teams from within the League or teams from another League.

The league has to put an end to this circus, no way should they allow Aldinga to cancel or reschedule their programmed game against Edwardstown (or any other round) in order to play a demonstration game that is only going to bring further embarrassment to our league. We do not want one of our member clubs playing off in a joke game to decide who is the worst team in the state. Piss off Port Adelaide and keep your nose out of our league.
by Look Good In Leather
Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Old man Emu

I found this discussion on the junior football section of the forum, given its not written by you, I found it quite interesting. Is this the best way forward for Junior Development given that MVFC are clearly the League Leaders in this field, according to your good self anyway....

Hopefully if MVFC continue in this direction, you might be able to return to the Golden Era of 1982-2003.

Old Man Emu - MVFC Junior Development Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla !!!
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

well at morphett vale its seems our Under 12 whites are all are best experienced players

our under 12s maroons is all the novices & beginners

or extend that whites are bigger kids (maybe grade 7s at school) & the emu marrons are grade 6ers

our whites smashed our maroons in the trial game[/b][/i]

I would not take any authority from what marbles says, he is merely a troll.

He comes from a different world where teams tank in the A-Grade to bolster up their B-grade teams for premierships so that they can secure the prize of relegation to ensure that they have an easier premiership to win the following year. A world where a C-Grade premiership is equal to an A-Grade premiership. A world where kids can play for their school and never step foot in, or represent your club, but still be considered one of your juniors.

Don't expect him to understand, but I suspect he is not serious and merely does it for attention.
by Look Good In Leather
Wed May 21, 2014 3:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Great Southern Football League

The Little Master wrote:Disgrace. Worth 6 games +

YouTube it so we can all see
by Look Good In Leather
Wed May 21, 2014 11:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Does anyone know the ruling on Saturday comp players playing in the Sunday comp? How many can you have each week? What happens in finals etc?

Pretty much open slather.

Generally the college clubs with these two teams have all their college players in their Sunday team but they rotate the cream through the Saturday team during school holidays and once the colleges finish so that they have the 6 games and are qualified for finals.

Come finals the dual team clubs seem to have very different teams on the park and the teams they had close games against during the season suddenly get smashed off the park.

There should be set squads for each team, back when we first had two teams, we had to apply for clearances to move a player from one team to another, and once cleared they could not be cleared back again - that's when the league used to put value on the credibility of each competition, rather than just bragging about how many kids are playing whilst glossing over the fact that some clubs do not field teams at all.
by Look Good In Leather
Thu May 29, 2014 12:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Personally I think Country div is all but stuffed already.

Kersbrook to Barossa
Kangarilla to Southern
Maccy / Meadows combine - play Central
Gums / Birdwood combine - play Central
Nairne - play Central
Sedan to Barossa (or anywhere closer to them)
Blackwood to Amateurs

12 team Central Div:
Uraidla
Mt Barker
Hahndorf
Onkas
Echunga
Lobethal
Nairne
Bridgewater
Ironbank
TV
McMeadows
Birderacha

Hope I haven't missed anyone :)

Combining into one division - don't do it!

by Look Good In Leather
Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015: 7 Pure A-Grade Divisions

well for long term stability & lesser risks of club fall out, houghton would be more comfortable in a pure agrade div 7 IMO

ie:
central united
mawson lakes
mitchell park
anglevale
houghton
smithfield
north pines
adelaide uni (exception)
flinders uni

If you have an exception, it is not pure A-Grade - still a hybrid
by Look Good In Leather
Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Rather than mess with almost every division above to please a few C-graders, my proposal is to leave it as is, but with a few caveats:

- A-Grade clubs are subject to promotion/relegation between D6 & D7, but C/D grade clubs are not
- C/D Grade clubs are subject to promotion/relegation between D7 & D8, but A-Grade clubs are not

- Such that at the end of the season the two lowest placed C/D clubs (regardless of where they finish) in D7 swap with the Grand Finalists in D8

...but by the sounds of how marbles describes it, none of these teams have any ambition to be promoted or achieve anything except win an easy premiership in the lowest division possible.
by Look Good In Leather
Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Pilmore Cup 2014

DTH What is happening at Bomberland?

After all the years of the BDOS Secretary attending meetings at the SFL and canning representative football
"We are a metro League not a country league we should not be involved"

Bugga me tonight I see in person the Said Secretary wearing the Maroon shirt dressed like the rest of the Maroon crew treating the weekend of football very seriously..

I can only assume that he has become a Latte land country hobby farmer.. who now embraces both jetty (Latte) Road Brighton and the Bush

I think you may be quoting the BDOS Secretary incorrectly. Those comments were directed at the Country Football Championships I would suggest. I think most of us would agree that they are a meaningless waste of time. Unfortunately we have bastardised our association game so that a team can be picked for a silly lightning carnival that acts merely as a weekend long piss-up for the CFL.

by Look Good In Leather
Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

marbles, why wouldn't you want your C/D playing against A grade teams? I understand your point of getting flogged every second week by A grade sides, but if you are good enough to match it in that division then surely that is better for your club from a development point of view than playing in C grade divisions?

Wouldn't your B grade rather bring up a bloke whose conditioned to playing against A grade footballers (albeit a fair way down from your A grade) than a bloke whose been playing in a slower C grade comp against all C grade sides?

Because marbles' C-Grade team has nought to do with developing players, it is all about winning the easiest premiership possible.
by Look Good In Leather
Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So what's everyones thoughts on what will happen at the big SFL meeting tonight? Are any of the recommendations going to get up? Personally I think they have missed the mark on many issues and certainly the change of junior grade ages seems unnecessary - if it aint broke why fix it?

Almost half of clubs do not field a full set of teams in their own right (7/15)
33% of clubs do not field a team in the U/16 comp
33% of clubs do not field a team in the U/14 comp
100% of games played in the U/18 comp this week resulted in the winning team doubling their opponents score or more with the other game a forfeit
Only one game each this week in the U/14 and U/16 comps were decided by a margin less than 6 goals

It is very broken, something needs to be done. The debate is if the proposal goes far enough.

Agree that there are some huge issues but will changing U14s, U16s, U18s to U15s and U17s and pushing kids up to seniors a year earlier really help? In the words of a red headed politician "please explain"

18yo men have no place in junior football
by Look Good In Leather
Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So a Future Directions Committee was created, they came up with ideas. A majority of clubs agreed with them but the league shuts them down. What is the point of the FDC then. The league wants what they want, not the clubs.

"Change is the law of life And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future." ;)

JFK
by Look Good In Leather
Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: VERSION 2: 7 Pure A-Grade Divisions

if you think im alone in this desire you are very narrow minded.

theres no one supporting me publicly on here sure, but all the conjecture is coming from people who dont have 4 teams at their club

so im really not bothered by the crap your throwing at me, im writing all this to the league (who are shrinking) & to my fellow Div 1 Div 2 clubs (who are also shrinking)

all your banter is only educating the silent readers whom im trying to convince and save, thankyou :heart: My club has four teams. If we were good enough to win Div 8, I'd like to think we'd happily take on the challenge of Div 7.

your cgrade boys would love playing A-Graders, i bet it will be so exciting half your side will leave

Amateur League culture

Surely the players should be aiming to play against A-Grade players, in their club's A-Grade?
by Look Good In Leather
Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: VERSION 2: 7 Pure A-Grade Divisions

i somehow believe that all clubs shouldnt have to vote on this. theres a loop hole somewhere here...

i mean all the following 18 clubs provide 4 sides each to the league, they also have under 18s , theyre also known junior developers , which holds them in good stead knowing theyll have plenty more players coming up through the ranks for decades to come. these 18 clubs are the foundation clubs of the league

Adelaide Uni

Since when have University done anything for junior development?
by Look Good In Leather
Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Champ wrote:
Yellow & Black wrote:Are Lobethal the Port Power of the AFL....both appear to be no good in the wet?

Not sure but after a month of football someone was on here talking premierships... :oops:

Sounds like Port Power
by Look Good In Leather
Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Marbles would be building an argument why those clubs should join div 7 of the amateur league. As if that organisation is not bloated enough already with clubs self destructing as a result.
by Look Good In Leather
Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

PHOS v Camden v PHOS Camden

I noticed something very interesting in the Club History section on the website of the PHOS Camden FC:

"PHOS (Plympton High Old Scholars) was originally based at NS Bull Memorial Oval at the back of the now defunct Plympton HS from 1968 until 1994. At this time they were given an opportunity to relocate to Camden Oval where the changed their name to PHOS Camden. "

Have PHOS now written the Camden Football Club out of their club's history and why?
For a long time their website focused more on the Old Scholars club with a "coming soon" about Camden, but with the recent revamp the approach has changed altogether.

I would have thought with the demise of Plympton High, the district club component would have more relevance and if anything they would be emphasising the Camden component more than the PHOS component of the club.
6 A-Grade Premierships in the old Glenelg-South League are nothing to be sneezed at and certainly not discarded.
by Look Good In Leather
Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SFL's decision to convert Under 10's to 15 a side is crazy, while I don't agree with the Under 8's going to 12 a side I can see some merit in it.

But Under 10's are simply taking 3 players off the field, which won't allow for clubs to have an extra team so will just mean 3 extra players on the bench and less players on the field. How does that promote kids playing footy? I cannot see any tangible difference in having 15 or 18 on the ground....

Shhh! Don't question it
Apparently the kids have more fun because it is easier for them to get a kick.

Don't worry yourself, next year they will bring in a rule where each child has to have a minimum number of possessions per quarter or something else stupid along those lines.

Once again we see a change to the rules with little analysis as to the potential negative effects, but we are apparently not smart enough to understand the reasons why it needs to occur because an academic has written a paper which cites a number of sources which are not available without having to pay for them or spend hours of time at the State Library. Too many knee-jerk decisions being made at all levels with no basic economics being considered.

It is a sad state of affairs
by Look Good In Leather
Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Im led to believe only Flaggy and Christies Beach voted against.

Christies Beach did not vote against, they just didn't vote.

There was not much point, the board had decided they wanted this in place so would have overruled the clubs to make sure it happened anyway, similar to another recent vote, had the majority of clubs not blindly gone along with it.

Sadly this is another effort to "dumb-down" our game to cater for the lowest denominator. We apparently need to make it easier for the lesser kids to get a kick, not that removing tackling, smothering, spoiling and shepherding is enough, we now need to reduce the number of players on the field so as to reduce the potential opponents.

What we get our kids playing on a Sunday morning is not our game, we have taken the contest out of it. We are not teaching young players how to win the ball in a contest, instead it will be given to them if it doesn't just happen to fall into their arms. This morning I saw numerous occasions where a player would take possession of the ball in the forward lines and would just weave his way past the players until he got to the goal line and tapped it through for a not counted goal (his opponents not allowed to do anything to stop him). The priority at the moment is to eliminate any defensive component of the game, on the off chance that a child might get upset because he too was not allowed to run into an open goal so that he can have his turn at kicking a goal.

The kids progressing to U/14s and onwards (if they have not got bored by that stage) do not have any instinct to go for a smother or a shepherd, but worst of all they have no sense how to protect themselves when going for the ball.

Our game is a physical, collision based game, we should stop pretending it is something it is not.

One of the justifications on Monday night was that it was due to the threat of soccer that we need to modify rules.

Why? What is the threat?

If we continue to try to make our sport more like soccer, why will the kids bother playing it when they can play the genuine article, with much greater career paths if they are good enough.

The kids want to play what they see on TV, the junior product we offer up is so far detached from that that it is almost unrecognisable - well the ball is similar and they kick and handball the same (but not too far).

We have good numbers at the moment, this is apparently aimed at increasing retention of the kids who lose interest because they find the game difficult. How many of the kids who are not really interested are going to go on to play senior football? Why do we modify the game for the kids who genuinely want to play the game just to cater for kids who do not really want to be there?

Anyone who has any interest in the state of junior football should read this: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/executive-living/equal-playing-field-makes-us-all-losers/story-e6frg9zo-1226650933850?nk=68e2444a758b3535542ad30432a85482
by Look Good In Leather
Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Finally, Looks Good in Leather - surprised you think Bridgewater are in danger given they have to play Uraidla and Echunga, so between the senior colts and B grade will be over 150 points without much effort.

A lot of assumptions here, but here goes.

Bridgewater - curr 139
Expecting them to lose their 3 remaining A-Grade games (Mount Barker, Echunga & Uraidla). They should account for Echunga in the Bs (5 points) but I would expect them to lose the other two. In the senior colts I expect them to beat Echunga & Uraidla (10 points), but the Mount Barker game is hard to call. In the Junior colts I expect them to lose to Mount Barker, with the Echunga and Uraidla games in the balance.

Predicted Final Range: 155-166

Echunga - curr 116
This week very important in the A's against TV with the winner gaining an extra 10 points against a fellow relegation candidate. I expect them to beat both Bridgewater and Hahndorf (20 points). Unlikely to win any of the remaining games in the Bs (0 points). Expecting them to lose the Senior colts against Bridgewater & Hahndorf, with the game against Torrens Valley in the balance. In the junior colts I don't see them beating Hahndorf, but both the Torrens Valley & Bridgewater games are a chance.

Predicted Final Range: 136-157

Torrens Valley - curr 111
As mentioned, this week very important against Echunga and likely to beat Hahndorf (10 points) with the Ironbank game also a chance. Expecting TV to win their B-Grade games against Echunga & Hahndorf (10 points) and a chance to beat Ironbank. Not expecting them to win the Senior colts against Hahndorf or Ironbank but the Echunga game could be a chance. Similar in the Junior Colts I expect losses to Hahndorf & Ironbank but toss a coin in the Echunga game with it being a close one earlier in the year.

Predicted Final Range: 131-164

If Torrens Valley beat Echunga this week then Bridgewater should be safe, but their performance in the A-Grade mean that if a few results go Echunga's way, Bridgewater also find themselves in danger.

Should be an exciting finish.
by Look Good In Leather
Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL division 6 2014

The vernacular everyone is using "North, South, East and West" are known as Carindal directions - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardinal_direction

The directional names are also routinely and very conveniently associated with the degrees of rotation in the unit circle:

North (N): 0° = 360°
East (E): 90°
South (S): 180°
West (W): 270°

In other words, you're all being imprecise with both your language and measurements. :D
So Mitchell Park runs 360° - 180° and Lindblom Park is North - South?

I think Mitchell Park would be more 358°/178° and Lindblom Park 315°/135°
by Look Good In Leather
Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL division 6 2014

here you go, if it helps:

http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac142/mellingham/Capture_zps7282c99b.png

technically there are only 4 cardinal points (N, S, E, W)
4 ordinal (or intercardinal) points (NE, SE, SW, NW)
and 8 secondary-intercardinal points (NNE, ENE, etc)

Of course that is in two-dimensional space, expand that to three-dimensional space and you have 6 cardinal directions (north, south, east, west, up, down)
four-dimensions you can have 9 cardinal directions (north, south, east, west, up, down, past, present, future) but lets not get into spacetime theories
by Look Good In Leather
Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

i don't doubt what you are saying tank...but it does strike me as a little odd....

Mate it is more than just a little odd - it is a very unique situation that creates an awful lot of emotion

Serious Question - Is there any other league in Australia that has more than one division, in which the entire club consisting of junior and senior grades play on the same day in the same competition?

The only other I can think of was the SFL before they moved to one division back in the 90's?

You could argue the Riverland still have that type of set-up, but never transfer teams between divisions.
There are a number of leagues in Victoria that have 2 or more divisions, but junior football is primarily on Sundays with the exception of the odd senior colts team in some comps.

Fight to the death to retain it, however there is a serious flaw if Echunga get relegated. Promotion/Relegation needs to be more weighted towards to A-Grade, but having all teams must be a pre-requisite.
by Look Good In Leather
Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

afc9798 wrote:...rather than be the 90th club to use the Tigers song around Australia.

"We're dashing, we're gay, we're the pride of the Bay"
by Look Good In Leather
Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well done to Brighton Black on winning the u12 carnival today, again another great day out, well done OSBLFC, they do it well.

Proud of my kids who clawed their way back from 15 points down in the last half against Brighton to hit the front with 3 mins to go but couldn't hold on.

Not sure if you should be publicising this. We are not meant to be acknowledging achievements - it is for fun only with no winners or losers.

Please respect the poor children who were not in the winning team, we must care for their emotional wellbeing.

We also must not place any expectations on the winners, they may stop enjoying playing.
by Look Good In Leather
Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Echunga:

S/C above Lobey,TV,Uraidla.

J/C above Bridgey,TV

U13 above Uraidla.

It's not that bad is it?

Simply our B grade has been a disaster!

Unfortunately the relegation system weights the B-Grade and colts way too highly.

There are more points on offer in the other three grades combined than the A-Grade, which does not reflect the reality, but as a result has changed reality!
by Look Good In Leather
Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Can someone from Onkas please tell me why a convicted criminal is again playing for them after recent release on parole. Has anyone cared to read the court report in relation to this serious offence? Why would a club allow a person of this character to return?

Not sure of the scenario, but surely if someone has been released on parole, then people with much higher qualifications and experience than your average football committee have determined that they are suitable to go and participate in society again. A football club/organised sport is a very good environment for someone who is trying to get their life back on track by re-joining society in hopefully a more positive way than what got them into trouble in the first place.

Then again I have no idea what the crime and situation was that had them in trouble in the first place, and the assumption is made the club has assessed the risks, but football clubs provide an exceptional service to the community in assisting people like this.
by Look Good In Leather
Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |