Search found 54 matches

Return

Re: Football Park Greatest Moments

pafc1870 wrote:I don't understand the hate of Footy Park as a stadium. Sure, it had some bad parts, especially compared to other AFL venues, but the facilities and viewing are still better than any suburban venue.

Agree
by whufc
Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Football Park Greatest Moments

I don't understand the hate of Footy Park as a stadium. Sure, it had some bad parts, especially compared to other AFL venues, but the facilities and viewing are still better than any suburban venue.
by RustyCage
Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2013 Ryobi One-Day Cup season schedule on Gem

Johno6 wrote:Botha will be banned soon anyway and save SA from having to deport him

If they ban Botha, then they have to act on Murali in the Big Bash league. He has got away with it for 18 years because the ICC were too scared of the Asian block.
by heater31
Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2013 Ryobi One-Day Cup season schedule on Gem

Botha will be fine, they will just say he cant bowl a certain delivery. Bowled well in a couple of games but the last couple of decks they played on were not good for spinners (Cameron White v Nathan Lyon)

Taking Hughes and Ferg out of the middle order hurt us big time as we have no batting depth. Both will be back playing shield cricket this year so it should give us a decent batting line up. Klinger, Hughes, Cooper, Ferg, McDonald and with Trav Head, Kelvin Smith, Jake Brown fighting for spots.

Good to see Cooper string a few scores together also, hopefully can take that into the shield games!
by hawks21
Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Crows Reserves 2014

Far from being a troll, I hope and believe that beenreal is completely genuine in his delusions.

Getting massacred in AFL grand finals better than everyone else; digging deep financial holes and needing help to crawl out of them better than everyone else; running down the team and the comp that was always the bedrock of the Port Adelaide Football Club's achievements, better than everyone else; disconnecting itself from the local community and closing up shop on junior development, and so starving its SANFL reserves (and ultimately league) team of talent, better than everyone else.

Talented kids growing up a drop punt from Alberton Oval will be playing their U/16 and U/18 football for whom? Not Port, that's for sure.
by SimonH
Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Crows Disgrace

From Indaily today- very well written and a sentiment I agree with
Dear Port fans: you just don’t get it David Washington | 6 February 2014 Victorian and South Australian players before the 1988 state of origin match.
Comment |

Dear Port Adelaide fans: I’m terribly sorry you feel so “disappointed” about the Crows wearing a replica of the old South Australian state guernsey in one game this year.

Would you like me to pour you a cup of tea? Or maybe massage your shoulders?

Settle in, because I’m going to tell you a story.

Once upon a time, in an Adelaide far, far away, the city was divided into football tribes. Some of them were very old, like your mob, which joined the competition that came to be known as the SANFL in 1877. My mob Norwood, relative latecomers, joined the competition in 1878.

Some of the teams had extraordinary periods of dominance – Norwood in the first years of the comp and again in the 1920s; Port in the 1950s and the 1980s; Sturt ruled the late 1960s with a sublime run of five flags. Even West Adelaide had their time in the sun, during the first decade of the 20th century.

Some clubs enjoyed very little success. South Adelaide, one of the early powerhouses of the competition, captured its last premiership in 1964. Yet, you could argue that its long-suffering fans are the most loyal in the whole competition. To front up week after week in the face of such a drought of success? That’s passion.

Every year, the best players from the competition would be selected to play against some of the other states, wearing the state colours. The game that really counted was against Victoria. On rare occasions, we won, sparking wild celebrations.

In the early 1990s, your club was clearly the most successful in terms of Premierships won. But in a competition of such long history and passion, did this mean your club was of greater intrinsic value than any other? No. All of the teams had history, pride and passion worth preserving and celebrating. Well – that’s what most of us believed.

Your club’s custodians disagreed. They believed that Port was indeed greater than the whole, and decided to make a run for the big league – the infant AFL, which was, at the time, nothing more than a slightly expanded version of the VFL.

The rest of the SANFL clubs and fans were blindsided, so a hasty compromise was put together. The Adelaide Crows, wearing the state colours, would join the AFL – it would be “the team for all South Australians”. It was, at the time, a team put together with a few outsiders, but mostly star SANFL players – including from Port.

See what I”m getting at?

The SANFL competition was immediately affected. After decades of our best players streaming across the border chasing money and glory in the VFL, the presence of a local team laid further waste to the talent in the local competition. More than 100 years of history mattered little in the face of this new world of glitz and glamour.

A few years later, you joined the AFL – in doing so, you became the only existing club from a competition outside the VFL to be allowed in. It was a gift that no other SANFL fan will experience, at least in the foreseeable future.

I cannot even begin to imagine the joy of seeing Norwood players run on to the MCG in an AFL final – or even a home and away game.

Understand? No?

Back to the story.

The fabric of the SANFL competition was again stretched thin. After some early success, your SANFL club – the Magpies – started to fray and falter, which was bittersweet to those of us who remembered the fierce battles of the past.

The SANFL was altered forever. No matter how much we told ourselves that it was “real” footy, old-fashioned suburban footy, it became a shadow of its former great self.

The days of standing room only crowds at tiny suburban grounds were over.

We would never again see some of the country’s best players slip on our club’s jumper while in their prime.

Premierships, while moments of undoubted joy, had lost a few degrees of sweetness.

Can you comprehend any of the sense of loss that the rest of us might feel?

Can you understand that, while many of us support the Crows in the AFL, our SANFL history is still vitally important to us? That we feel it slipping away as the new generations of football supporters only have eyes for the AFL? That we can see a day coming when the proud history of a club like Norwood will only be remembered by sad old timers (that would be us), regaling young bucks with stories while they try to disguise a yawn?

Can you grasp – in any way – that the proud history of the SANFL is something we want to celebrate, that we have a right to celebrate, through the achievements of the Adelaide Football Club?

No-one watching the Crows step out on to Adelaide Oval wearing a replica state jumper will equate these modern day players with the representative champions of the past. No-one believes that they have “won” a position in a state side.

It’s a nod – and a slight one at that – to what little living heritage remains for the legions of fans who grew up supporting SANFL clubs other than Port Adelaide, and who have followed an AFL club that was started by the SANFL and, in its early years, attempted to represent us all.

The links are tenuous, yes, I agree – nothing like your ability to barrack for the same Port Adelaide that was formed back in 1870, a fact you celebrate on the back of your AFL jumper. That’s a feeling that the rest of us will likely never know.

So will you give us this one nod to our past? Will you put yourselves in our shoes for a moment?

No. I see you’re still disappointed.

You don’t know the meaning of the word.
by Stumps
Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Crows 2014

I don't think he is happy with the individual being injured, but maybe the impact on the team he plays for.

Would love to see them have no AFL listed players in their reserves team for a week or two at some stage this year, preferably when they play the Dogs
yeah lets hope heaps more get injured, and make them career threatening... because it was the players fault the crows and power are in the sanfl :roll:

time to move on folks.
by woodublieve12
Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Licenses sold- anchors away.

perhaps get some pigs and teach them how to fly

seriously its only been about 23 years :roll:
So you are happy with a tennant free loading?
Fact is that all that land is SANFL owned, the Cows are no longer owned by the SANFL so surely must become paying tennants
http://doghumor.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/dog-humor-dog-playing-violin.gif
by woodublieve12
Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you laugh

Port Supporters at work at the moment... I reckon they will organise a ticket tape parade for them thise week... Round 2 folks :lol:
by woodublieve12
Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: LIVE EPL SCORES

HAPPY ST TOTTERINGHAMS DAY EVERYONE !!!!!! :D

Pathetic that football club really is. Every year nearly for the past ten those spuds have said "we will finish above arsenal this season" and yet they still fail !!
by Bully
Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: EPL Transfer Rumours 2013/2014

Remy at arsenal game today.

Seems he is on his way def from the toon to us :)
by Bully
Mon May 05, 2014 12:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rnd 6 - Port Magpies v Sturt @ Alberton (Sun 11/5)

johntheclaret wrote:
phantom57 wrote:This will be a cracker of a game and I am expecting that the Double Blues will deliver a MDM.....? :D

What's an MDM

Mothers Day Massacre
by am Bays
Thu May 08, 2014 4:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What is you interest so far in the SANFL competition in

If Port didn't have such a leg up I'd be more interested. I'm not as knowledgeable as some about the local league but surely the conditions need to be modified to some extent for the Magpies next year.

regards,

REB
by Rik E Boy
Wed May 21, 2014 1:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 3 2014

Jetters wrote:Thoughts on Modbury, what makes them good?

Their colours.
by Q.
Thu May 22, 2014 9:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Crows 2014

Crows has done something the power hasn't yet. Beat a fully fit top 4 side :)
by woodublieve12
Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Grade Cricket

The issue with Sunday cricket is the predominately amateur players not having a life during cricket season. Add One day/T20/PL/SatSun/2nd11 the players have 0 weekends. Some may say, ‘if they are serious about their cricket and want to play FC then they shouldn’t care’, yes that’s true, but realistically there are only 15 blokes with a genuine shot at playing FC.

Life isn't meant to be easy....

They are meant to be the cricket equivalent of the SANFL and first class cricket is the 'state' games that you represent your state league....

Drop the one dayers back to 40 overs per side and a knockout format. 20/20 knockout with maybe including an ATCA XI.

Except they're still paying to play instead of getting paid like SANFL players do.

4 PL teams full of players striving for a contract gives 44 of the best (less existing contracted players when they are available) a genuine chance to win a contract and they can play PL on Sundays and hopefully get paid for it. All under SACA control. That would be more the equivalent to SANFL.

Grade Cricket on Saturdays only should keep more experience in the competition. Especially those who now drop out as soon as they start a family or those that have played State Junior Cricket every weekend summer day for 10 years and are burnt out and go to turf or give up all together. If some of these stayed in the system, they may actually click by the age of 27 or 28 and possibly contribute at the top level for a number of years and in the meantime make Grade Cricket stronger for being there.

Grade Cricket should get really good at being the best 2-day, genuine club cricket competition in the State and make potential stars in the making play against hardened cricketers week in week out to see what they're made of. Then play against their peers on a fair amount of Sundays under the watchful eye of SACA coaches in a variety of formats. Plus utilise mid-week for PL T20.

I'm certainly not saying my opinion is absolutely right. I may be off the mark completely, but they are just my thoughts.

Will be interesting to see the Report when it is made available and interesting to see which way it ends up going. No doubt there will be plenty of differing opinions within each club, let alone throughout the clubs and up to the top at SACA. I do think something has to change though to keep/get Grade Cricket strong and relevant.
by Aerie
Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Technically clubs don't have to release U/18 players but who is really going to put a teenage kid through a tug of war like that?

Grade clubs simply shouldn't be trying to poach players at that age. Once they're 18+... no worries. Fair game.

when does the grade season start?
Saturday October 18 I think. Bit later than usual.

Might not be playing on sand in Round 1 for once :D
by Tony Clifton
Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gold Coast 2014

No surprises to many but the K-Hunt has announced he wont continue at Gold Coast next season.

I'm a little heart broken, but I think his time at the Suns is probably a little unappreciated in football circles and he has done a tremendous job accepting the challenge of trying to become an AFL footballer and having some success over the past 5 years.

Phanto as a league fan you'd appreciate more than most on here how hard the transition is between the two codes. When Khunt first started up he had the huge thighs of a league man. Built to be low to the ground and piledriving into the deck to get that forward power. He did himself no favours by pissing off to France to play Rugby before starting with the Suns but once he finally got up here he did everything he could to make a success out of his AFL career.

He was smart enough to learn from the master and as time went by his body started to transform into the leaner running machine you have to become to play our great game. He had a real crack and got people talking about AFL up here so the move should be judged a success. Unlike Izzy he went into the mids and that requires a lot more running than other positions on the field. Meanwhile, the Gold Coast A League team is gone, The Titans don't draw dick and Metricon is hosting reasonable crowds on a fortnightly basis. Khunt has had a lot to do with making that happen.

regards,

REB
by Rik E Boy
Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Diary of some pregnant blokes

Congratulations FS!!
by valleys07
Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cossies back!

As long as he is sending the red ball to all parts of the oval I don't care how he looks
by RustyCage
Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Vale Robbie Flower

I was too young to appreciate Bobby Skilton and join in the Cinderalla story that was the great Rover's sole Finals appearance in the 1970 Elimination Final. For Bobby, the fairytale was shortlived as his Swans were outclassed by a more seasoned St Kilda combination.

In 1987 it was a similiar story for Mebourne Great Robbie Flower. Back in 1987 the VFL and their media partners (Might have been channel ten long time ago now) shrewdly started showing live VFL Football in South Australia. This meant people of my generation who grew up watching Kernahan, Motley, Bradley, Naley, McIntosh and Aish got to see, and importantly, follow VFL football.

At this time I sort of barracked for Melbourne and Western Bulldogs, but hadn't really made a decision. I liked Geelong because they weren't Melbourne LOL. Once I saw one Gary Ablett play my mind was made up and I started following the Cats. Three teams stood out, Hawthorn, Carlton and Sydney who all got the double chance that year. Then there were the good players battling away in lesser teams.

The player who stood out was Melbourne champion Robbie Flower, who like Skilton before him played during a bleak period for his club. During the season Melbourne were no sure bet to make the finals with Footscray and Geelong looking to be ahead of them. In time honoured fashion both clubs got stage fright and Melbourne fell into the five for the first time in 23 years. Robbie was going to get his final.

Unlike Bobby Skilton's fairytale, Flower's blossomed. Playing more up forward towards the end of his career, many expected North (who had pipped by Minor premier Carlton the week before) to clean up the Dees in that first final and end Flower's career. Melbourne didn't read the script. They came out like men possessed and they cleaned up the Roos, punting them out of the premiership.

The next week they faced 'Edelsten's' Swans who had players the calibre of Williams, Toohey, Healy, Wright, Bolton and Mitchell. It was a repeat performance with the Demons smashing them in the second quarter. In this game Flower really turned back the clock with four goals. During the second quarter the Demons unleashed an avalanche of goals that sunk the Swans.

Robbie's farewell tour was extended for another week and people began to speak aloud about the possibility of a Melbourne premiership. For those who weren't there, this did not happen. During the frantic last minutes of the Preliminary Final against Hawthorn Jim Stynes inadvertently went over the mark and Gary Buckenara was given the 15 metre penatly and his goal ended Flower's career.

No flag for Robbie but he will be remembered by everyone who saw his trademark run down the wing and his elegant kicking style. He reminded me of Michael Aish, or rather Aish reminded me of a Robbie Flower.

RIP

regards,

REB
by Rik E Boy
Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R.I.P. Phillip Hughes

Got home last night and my 11yo was in tears, old enough to understand what went on but to young to understand how fragile life is. Cried himself to sleep last night and it broke my heart.

We found Phil's signature on his autograph bat from last year, something for him to treasure.
by Dutchy
Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Aus v Ind Test Series

To say this has shaken the Australian cricketing community would be an understatement.
Thousands of us across the country are now on the eve of going onto the ground , with new found apprehension and lets face it maybe even fear.
I just don't have that Friday excitement as the weekend looms and cricket approaches.

But, I am reminded of something one of my team mates said a few seasons back to me.

I was standing on a ground in the Adelaide Hills , fielding at cover. It was about 400 degrees the opposition were about 2 for 9 million and we still had several overs to bowl.
I wandered over to him at point and said " This is the worst days cricket in my whole life ".
Safe to say his reply made me change my whole outlook on the situation, when he stated " No way, where else in the world can you do this. Play on a beautiful oval with 20 plus other guys who want to play cricket with us ".

So tomorrow it's about going to play cricket with my buddies and 20 plus other guys who will do the same.

Getting out onto the Gabba next week may be the biggest victory of all. Win, lose or draw.

If the boys in the Baggy Green do walk onto the gabba next week, it will be one of the most courageous efforts in a long line of achievements and to me the result will run a very distant second.
by The Panther
Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Aus v Ind Test Series

1/89 at lunch

M Marsh with his first wicket, Dhawan for 24

Vijay 46*
Pujara 15*
by RustyCage
Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Glenn BIG show Maxwell

Gotta laugh at the calls for consistency in ODIs from blokes batting 5-7. Maxwell isnt an opener and like Davey you have to take the good with the bad. I'd have Maxwell in ahead of Bailey every day of the week right now. I read on the weekend that Maxwell doesn't like the nickname 'Big Show' and he doesn't have I disease to the extent of my least favourite cricketer Brad Hodge.

Bout time a few got off his back and gave him a go. He's got a lot of talent and he'll only get better. I think once Maxwell presents a bit more of the bat to the bowler he will prosper. At times he tends to open the face far too early in his innings. I'm sure Boof has mentioned it to him.

regards,

REB
by Rik E Boy
Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Crows 2015

Now I'm going for an acid bath. I've defended Adelaide AND van Berlo twice in under 24 hours.

I feel, I don't know, I've never felt this way before*.

It's unpleasant.
by Booney
Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Chuck Sacked

heater31 wrote:Adam Gilchrist, Pat Howard and David Parkin to be the selection panel for the new coach :shock:

whats wrong with that?. At least the same people that have made the same crap decisions for x amount of years wont be involved
by Stumps
Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: playing the acoustic guitar

Good topic mate. Patience ( not the GnR song ) is certainly the key.

I did 3 years of bass at high school, jammed with a few work mates for several years covering Greenday, Living End, Hendrix...anything that was fairly basic and we wrote a few original numbers, this from about 99-2005. Changed jobs and lost contact with those guys. As such, sitting playing bass on your own isn't much fun.

Picked up a 3/4 acoustic from a mate, played on and off with it for a few months around 08-12 and then put it down. I regret not touching it much over the last 2-3 years and I've started to pick it up again three of four times a week in the last couple of months. Really enjoying it.

I guess it depends what you want to get out of it. If you want to be able to take yourself to another place, strum a few chords and chill on your own as noted above Youtube is great. There's plenty of sites to check out for music, free-tabs.com , tabs4acoustic.com etc etc.

Lessons can be expensive, mates with know how are great but can teach you bad habits.

My advice, if I'm in a position to offer any, is this, 10 minutes a day is infinitely more important to your development than 1 hour a week.
by Booney
Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port Adelaide 2015

Round 5 Review vs. Adelaide- We’re the Alberton Crowd- Port Adelaide Proud!

PAFC 18.7.115
AFC 13.13.91

Goals:
Port Adelaide- Schulz 5, Ryder 3, Mitchell, Wingard, Hartlett, Westhoff 2, Boak, Gray 1.
Adelaide- Betts 5, Lynch, Jenkins, Thompson, Walker 2.

There are rivalries in every sport. Whilst it’s another game along the journey towards the main goal- these ones are marked in the calendar by every fan as “the must win”. The office bragging rights, the banter amongst your mates- there is so much more riding on these contests than just 4 points. There was a massive build up to this week’s game, and boy did it deliver in spades! Adelaide entered this game, coming off of a shock loss to the Bulldogs where they were belted in every key stat which had seen them exude such dominance over the first 3 rounds. They were primed for redemption, and what better game to do it than a Showdown, right?. Port Adelaide, contrary to their cross town rival had an average start against 2 of the competition heavyweights. Many footy fans had the Power earmarked 0-4 heading into this match, and the pre-season premiership fancies almost done before the season had even began. Well- 2 inspiring wins have changed all that, which leads both teams to today..

5 sides were sitting on 3-2 before this game started. Adelaide had a big opportunity to set the tone for their season and perk themselves a game clear in the top 4, whilst Port Adelaide on the other hand needed the win, importance on maintaining touch with the top 4 critical headed into their upcoming 7 week block.

There were many a salivating match-up’s and tactical mind games in the lead-up. How were Adelaide going to handle the 3 talls? How were Port Adelaide going to handle the crows ferocious tackling pressure and attack on the man? Have Port Adelaide finally found the ruck combination capable of matching it with Jacobs? Cornes vs. Sloane, Jonas vs. Betts, Cheney vs. Schulz, Carlisle vs. Walker, Dangerfield and Thompson vs. Boak and Gray- just a cracking game on paper!!

Quarter 1: A super start by Adelaide, in particular Dangerfield and Betts. Their tackling pressure had me worried about what the day would entail, but that was as good as it got for Adelaide for the rest of the quarter. Port Adelaide began to exert dominance on the inside and began to cut Adelaide to pieces on the outside. Ebert and Gray were running amok in the middle of the ground (Gray with 4 clearances for the term and 7 touches- 4 contested), and Schulz (2 goals) was finishing off the work from upfield, exploiting the Cheney matchup for workrate and height. 5 unanswered goals, with Carlisle giving Walker none of it the other way (3 touches and no score involvements), had Port well placed- leading by 16 at Quarter Time.

Quarter 2: I won’t single out Hinkley here, as I’m sure all coaches talk about it- but when your team has a sustained moment of dominance, you have to make the opposition pay. Adelaide demolished Port all over the ground in the 2nd quarter for virtually the entire 30 minutes, in every key statistical category- yet could only muster 2.5 to Port’s 3.0- which would have left crows fans bewildered! Betts was all over Jonas (4 I50 marks and 3 goals), Adelaide entered the F50 23 times to Port Adelaide’s 6 for the term (Dangerfield massive with 6 for the half to compliment his 17 disposals), and Adelaide managed 12 clearances to 5- it was utter carnage. However; one has to acknowledge Port Adelaide’s defence. Similar to last week vs. Hawthorn, it was our ability not to wilt under extreme pressure that was most impressive as a fan. I thought we were brilliant at blocking the hole, forcing the likes of Smith and Jaensch as examples, into low percentage shots at goal from outside 50. When we did manage to break Adelaide’s shackles- we made them pay, a signature of a good football side. Schulz with another 2 I50 marks and 3 goals for the half continuing to cause headaches, as well as Ryder and Lobbe well on top of Jacobs and Jenkins in the ruck. Ebert massive with 23 touches up to half time!

Quarter 3: The move was made- Pittard onto Betts, but it was going to take much more than that to quell the dynamic small forward- tightening up through the midfield defensively would be the critical point. Betts was again brilliant to start the term- 2 goals (his 4th I believe was when the Pittard move was made), and Dangerfield continued to get hands on the footy in the middle of the ground- another 7 touches (4 contested) and 3 clearances for the term. The 3rd quarter however was when Port fans saw the value in the Ryder/Lobbe combo, despite hit-out’s dominant in favour of Port up to that point. Enter Paddy- Schulz was making the most of his opportunities forward and Westhoff was making an impact at both ends, but it was Paddy who changed the dynamic of the game when shifted forward, his 2 goals keeping a resurgent Adelaide at arms-length. The midfield battle for the 3rd term was a classic. On one side you watched the master class of Gray (10 touches for the term- 8 contested, 4 clearances), Boak (9 touches- 3 contested), and on the other, Dangerfield (7 touches for the term- 4 contested and 4 clearances). It set up for a classic final term.

Quarter 4: Enter the unlikely heroes. Kane Mitchell after a strong performance defensively, bobbed up for 2 opportunist goals, only for Scotty Thompson to respond by kicking 2 ripping snaps to keep the crows within reach. Enter the big guns. Ryder, Schulz, Wingard- all with goals to snuff the game beyond doubt. Gray immense in the last quarter with 8 touches (4 contested) and 2 clearances on his way to the showdown medal.

Port Adelaide:

Things that went right:
• The 3 tall forward line. Tipped to be the defining factor all week proved correct, as Schulz, Westhoff and Ryder contributed 10 of Port’s 18 goals and 8 marks inside 50. It certainly left me wondering whether Hartigan would have offered the extra height that Adelaide were crying out for, as Schulz’s work rate was too much for Cheney to deal with- constantly getting into better position and find space doubling back. Westhoff had a serviceable night on the stats sheet, and Adelaide simply had no answer for Ryder when he was swung forward.
• Our Back 6: For the 2nd week in a row, we have been pummelled in the I50 count, and for the 2nd week we have come away with the win. Our ability to fill the hole, forcing the opposition into low percentage shots, or shots wide of the corridor, is magnificent. Pittard has elevated himself into a reliable rebound defender, and Bobby Carlisle is in some sort of form at the moment- Roughead and Walker a shadow of their known selves.

Things that went wrong:
• Tommy Jonas. I hate singling out players individually, but Eddie Betts got a hold of Tommy to an extent of which I have never seen. Eddie out-positioned, out-bodied (shouldn’t happen given the size difference) and outworked Tommy, especially dangerous once the ball hit the deck. Worked hard once shifted off of Betts, but given Eddie has now kicked 13 goals in the past 3 showdowns- it’s an area of concern from a match-up perspective heading into future contests. I am waiting for Eddie to rip one open one day, on the way to a showdown medal.
• The I50 count. Our defence stood up manfully, but the fact is we cannot survive if we keep serving up differentials of the past 2 weeks. Considering in 2014 we averaged approx. 43-44 entries per game against, seeing 79 and 71 entries over the last 2 weeks is of huge concern.

Adelaide:

Things that went right:
• Midfield was back to its best. Despite getting smashed in the hitout’s- Dangerfield, Thompson, Ellis-Yolmen were fierce in close, winning Walsh’s ground ball stat 106-88, as well as clearances, contested possession and tackles. I said to a crow mate on Friday that I’d be stunned if the side that won this game were to lose the contested possession and tackle count. Can’t believe it happened!
• Eddie Betts- See above

Things that went wrong:
• Jacobs and Jenkins. Forget Jenkins, but it’s rare to see Jacobs so well beaten in any contest, let alone a showdown. Monstered in the hitouts (69-38), it was score involvement where this dual was won and lost. As mentioned- Ryder had 7 score involvements from his 10 touches, where Jacobs and Jenkins combined for just 14 touches and 2 goals.
• Bad kicking is bad football. For a side to have 23 I50’s to 6 in a quarter and get outscored, is absolutely atrocious, and where the game was won and lost.

Adelaide:

Top 5 (there won’t be a complete squad review- sorry crowies!):

Eddie Betts- The clear match up that worked in Adelaide’s favour for most of the evening- Eddie as it stands is the most dangerous small forward in the game alongside Breust. 17 touches, 5 marks I50 and 5 goals, there was nothing that Jonas could do to stop him, although Pittard was brilliant on him in the last term. I didn’t think the idea to isolate him in the forward 50 worked, as Betts feeds brilliantly off of Walker, and the misjudgement that is created when Walker is double teamed. AA form at the moment.

Patrick Dangerfield- The knockers will come out re. disposal efficiency, but the Crows certainly responded as a midfield group this week. I was expecting a tough contested battle from Adelaide, and they comprehensively beat us in this area for most of the evening, with this man the catalyst. 36 touches (21 contested), a game high 14 clearances, 7 tackles and 7 I50’s, there isn’t much more this man could have done to will Adelaide over the line.

Scott Thompson- Has had 2 really good games tonight- and hit the scoreboard, which isn’t something Scotty is renowned for. 27 touches (18 contested), 9 clearances, 6 tackles and 4 clearances. Keep that sort of form up and he will be hard to remove from the side. Will be interesting to see how Walsh manages him over the season, particularly when Brad Crouch becomes available for selection.

Cam Ellis-Yolmen- The surprise packet of the season for mine, and i’m really happy for Cam, given how hard he has had to work to make it at this level. 18 touches, 8 clearances, 10 tackles and 6 I50’s- a good size midfielder who is tough in the contest and quite hard to move off of the footy.

Rory Laird- Thought he defended really well tonight, and provided rebound the other way, finding lots of the footy. 26 touches, 3 R50’s and 1 I50. Was one of the few Crows good by hand and foot this evening.

Port Adelaide:

Top 5:

Jasper Pittard- Best on for mine, and has transformed himself from a bloke who made my eyes close with ball in hand, to the bloke who I love with ball in hand exiting the back 50. He does it all now- rebounds, intercept marks, 1 %ers, delivers the ball inside 50. 28 touches, 7 marks, 6 R50’s and 4 I50’s- in AA form.

Robbie Gray- This bloke gets me all sorts of excited watching him play- and tonight he was back to his mercurial, unimaginable, electrifying best. Just found space where there was none, seems to impact almost every stoppage, and finishes his work with an exemplary level of skill. 32 touches (20 contested), 11 clearances, 4 I50’s and a goal- deserving of the showdown medal.

Jay Schulz- Demolished Cheney tonight- no other way to describe it. In absolutely brilliant form at the minute, with 14 goals in 3 weeks to climb to 4th in the coleman medal. Out-positioned and out-worked Cheney to continually find space on the lead, and as usual was dead on target when shooting for goal. 9 marks (4 I50)- No secret he finds it a hell of a lot easier with Westhoff and Ryder floating around! Set for a massive 7 weeks too, looking at the fixture!

Brad Ebert- This bloke is on the verge of A grade in my eyes. Has improved his disposal efficiency in leaps and bounds, and with supreme workrate, is almost the complete player. 31 touches, 9 marks, 4 clearances, 7 tackles and 3 I50’s- he dominates on the inside, is massive for us on the outside. What a magnificent start to the season.

Travis Boak- Leading possession getter for Port with 33, and was another typical captain’s performance from Travis. Continues to will himself to contest after contest, the only area he was probably beaten at was clearances. Still, 33 touches, 3 tackles, 6 I50’s and a goal, he is working himself into some great form!

The rest:

Kane Cornes- Did a number on Sloane tonight (granted Sloane did go off injured late in the 3rd). Doesn’t appear to be involved in the play, and then you check his numbers and see another 20+ game, his opponent restricted to sub 20, and continues to involve himself in the contested aspect of the game (7 tackles). Just another typical performance from this champion!

Chad Wingard- Rises for showdowns, and created headaches again for Adelaide defenders. 21 touches, 4 clearances, 3 I50’s and 2 goals-plays his role in an impressive mosquito fleet without being match-winning, and I love it.

Kane Mitchell- I am loving what Mitchell is bringing to the side at the moment. A man who is taking his chances and turning them into gold, was brilliant offensively when the chances arose, and was brilliant defensively. 19 touches, 5 tackles, 6 I50’s and kicked 2 crucial goals. *Hearts*

Alipate Carlisle- Petrie, Roughead, Walker. No slouches when reviewing the top key forwards in the game, and Bobby has beaten them all. Has added a significant string to his bow in the form of defensive rebound, along with forcing Walker well up the ground tonight in search of a kick. 19 touches, 4 marks and 6 R50’s, with Walker kept to 2 marks I50 and 2 goals- outstanding.

Hamish Hartlett- In and out of the game tonight, but when it was his turn to go- he went with devastating effect. 18 touches, 7 marks, 3 R50’s, 4 I50’s and 2 ripping goals. Another one that I’m enjoying just playing his role without being outstanding- displaying our versatility across all lines.

Justin Westhoff-Have loved his last 2 weeks since Lobbe has been back into the side. Whether it be back or forward, he creates headaches and his impact is not just on the stat sheet, but on the result itself. Usually has Talia rotating between him and Schulz, but he got off of the leash, such is the rate he interchanges between defence, forward and midfield. 17 touches, 7 marks and 2 goals- the games best swingman.

Matthew Broadbent- Started on fire before being clamped down on after quarter time. Still finished with 17 touches and 4 R50’s- you can’t take all of Pittard, Brogs and Hombsch, which is the great thing about our back 6 at the moment.

Matt White- Was a man possessed tonight, tackled manically and was constantly able to find space, either as that lead-up, or over the back. 17 touches, 6 marks, 9 tackles and 3 I50’s-returning to his 2014 form.

Angus Monfries- Not a lot to say about Gus’ game tonight. 16 touches and 5 marks- just needs to hit the scoreboard. Neither here nor there.

Tom Jonas- Had his colours well and truly lowered by Betts tonight, before being shifted off of him in the 3rd quarter. 15 touches and 7 1% acts- has been down for a couple of weeks now. Hoping for a lift out of him next week.

Jack Hombsch- Brilliant when dropping back into space, particularly in that 2nd quarter when we were getting bombarded with Adelaide I50’s. 15 touches, 5 marks and 4 R50’s, just another workman-like performance.

Jackson Trengove- Had the upper hand on Jenkins for a majority of the evening. 14 touches and 5 marks, another who was crucial in filling the holes during that 2nd quarter onslaught.

Aaron Young- Numbers don’t reflect a great performance, but was very good in the contested stakes around stoppages. 13 touches (11 contested), however he didn’t register a tackle- an aspect of his game that he is renowned for.

Paddy Ryder- Sensational when shifted forward tonight. A couple of massive contested grabs and 3 goals- exactly what he was recruited for. 10 touches, 3 marks and 18 hitouts- loving what he is bringing to the side at present.

Nathan Krakouer-Matched up on Cameron for the evening, and “Jets” didn’t get anywhere near it. Finished with 10 touches and 3 marks, whilst keeping Cameron to 6. Should have gone to Betts I thought after half time.

Matthew Lobbe-Jacobs has given Lobbe some almighty touch-ups in previous encounters, so it was great to see Lobbes get one back! 7 touches and 38 hitouts- just needed him to clunk a couple around the ground!

Jared Polec- The sub tonight, getting involved in a few important contests. Finished with 6 touches and 2 tackles.

The Power are right back amongst the pack, and have a huge opportunity to set their season up before the bye round. West Coast, Brisbane, Richmond, Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, Geelong and Carlton round out the 7 week block before the bye. If we are to be considered a contender- we must be 9-3 at worst by the break.

As for Adelaide- well it’s not dire straits, but the Suns couldn’t come at a better time (or could it?). Walsh clearly has some deficiencies in his back 50 that need addressing, along with skill level efficiency. Lever for the 2nd week in a row has been high among the best in the SANFL- crows fans eagerly await his debut- how far away that is, is anyone’s guess.

3-2 for both our teams, shows one thing- we are in a better state than Queensland :lol:

See you at the footy!

Valleys.
by valleys07
Mon May 04, 2015 12:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 2 - 2015

If he has gotten 6 it is an absolute disgrace.. the incident happened about 15 meters away from me and looked like a dumbed down version of what Jordan Lewis got 3 games for in the AFL... big difference was that our player was coming from behind to spoil and Lewis came from the side.. Interesting to note that when this occurred, not one Scotch player remonstrated as it looked accidental. the field umpire even said "I know it wasn't intentional but it was high"..
by Sass!
Thu May 14, 2015 9:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Guilty Pleasure Songs

Easy 17 are the bomb!!!!
by whufc
Wed May 06, 2015 6:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by morell
Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you rate!

My lad has just begun walking.

My wife sent me a clip on FB this morning of him walking, before turning around with the world's biggest grin of achievement, before letting out a victory "aargh" and continuing on his way.

So cute, but I can't stop watching the clip for the "aargh", classic!
by valleys07
Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cripps is responsive after coming out of his induced coma, he's acknowledged the presence of family and friends.

He remains in a serious but stable condition is my understanding at this point.
by Booney
Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This is why parents should monitor their children's internet usage.
by Booney
Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

**** me....this is where our season has ended up. We're talking about the pisser at the Reepham..... :(

It really has gone down the pisser....
by Booney
Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Titus O'Reily - AFL topics

Brilliant, Titus. Brilliant.

"Carlton (103) v Gold Coast (69)

How can you tell your life hasn’t worked out? You’re a neutral fan and you watched this".

:lol:
by valleys07
Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Confirmed Transfers - 2015/2016 EPL Season

Cech from Chavs to Arsenal on a 4 year deal
by Bully
Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thought I'd have a quick look back at the past 5 seasons to try to measure on field strength.

I looked at how many times a club finished top 4 in A Grade, top 4 in the Club Championship (to measure overall senior strength) and top 4 in juniors (U16R&W, U14R&W) to measure overall junior strength.

1. Kensington (87% overall) - 100% A Grade Finals, 80% Club Champ Top 4, 80% Junior Finals
2. Tea Tree Gully (53% overall) - 60% A Grade Finals, 60% Club Champ Top 4, 40% Junior Finals
3. Sturt (50% overall) - 40% A Grade Finals, 40% Club Champ Top 4, 70% Junior Finals
4. West Torrens (47% overall) - 40% A Grade Finals, 60% Club Champ Top 4, 40% Junior Finals
5. Woodville (43% overall) - 80% A Grade Finals, 40% Club Champ Top 4, 10% Junior Finals
6. East Torrens (33% overall) - 20% A Grade Finals, 60% Club Champ Top 4, 20% Junior Finals
7. Glenelg (23% overall) - 20% A Grade Finals, 40% Club Champ Top 4, 10% Junior FInals
8. Port Adelaide (18% overall) - 40% A Grade Finals, 0% Club Champ Top 4, 15% Junior Finals
9. Adelaide (13% overall) - 0% A Grade Finals, 0% Club Champ Top 4, 40% Junior Finals
=10. Northern Districts (12% overall) - 0% A Grade Finals, 0% Club Champ Top 4, 35% Junior Finals
=10. Prospect (12% overall) - 0% A Grade Finals, 0% Club Champ Top 4, 35% Junior Finals
12. Southern District (8% overall) - 0% A Grade Finals, 20% Club Champ Top 4, 5% Junior Finals
13. University (0%) - 0% A Grade Finals, 0% Club Champ Top 4, No Juniors

Obviously this doesn't tell a whole story. For example, Uni finished 5th in Club Champ last year so on improve perhaps and 5 years isn't a large sample size in a comp that has clubs well over 100 years old, but you'd want to have a strong club now to avoid getting the chop.
by Aerie
Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 14 - Normal transmission has resumed

He was in the hands of the trainer, broadbent had no reason to try and knock him over. If it was the other way atound you'd say the same...

And if it was the other way around, you would also do the same.

Poor form from Brogs, very un-sportsman like, but a dog?

Sniping someone from behind is a dog act, softly bumping into someone in the hands of a trainer is poor form.
by valleys07
Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Phil Walsh murdered

I just had a thought.

If Sunday's game is, as I expect, canceled or postponed, I would like to see every person who was to attend the match still head to Adelaide Oval, still take their seat and reflect.
I actually bought my tix after hearing the news as I just wanted to be there if it went ahead to wear my Cats gear and cheer on the Crows. I know I put a lot of shit on the Crows but this is so much bigger than a game of footy.
My thoughts and love to all especially Crows fans as it must be bloody hard on them as its hit me like a brick to.the face.
by Wedgie
Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Titus O'Reily - AFL topics

Someone feel free to post the entire Titus review, but this quote is an absolute pisser:

“Caleb Daniel impressed in his debut when he came on at half time. At 167cm, the Doggies deserve some credit for drafting someone at that size. At some clubs they would try and set him on fire at their Christmas party”.

=)) =))

Brilliant, Titus. I needed that laugh after the weekend we have had in footy.
by valleys07
Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sydney Swans 2015

The afl has made this worse by telling people not to do it.

How many press conferences has goodes held to voice is thoughts on the issue??? None..

Who did the dance on sunday and spoke up? Jetta, not goodes

This would have gone away earlier if the media didn't keep harping on about it...

i also found it amusing on triple m this morning how roo said respect is earned not given. He's achieved more than you roo has, does more for charity and stands up for what he believes in...

People say they boo him because he's a flog - sh*t excuse, but i get it...

People say they boo him because he stages for free kicks - sh*t excuse, but i get it. What i find this even more laughable is that anyone who has played this game has staged for free kicks at some point in their career, EVERYONE! If that's why people boo him than we should be booing ALOT more...

People say they boo him because he won australian of the year - probably the worst excuse going around, he didn't choose to win it... he was nominated.. Don't recall the autrage when Rosie Batty won it this year... Not disputing her tragic loss of her child and she is a great spokesman for domestic violence (which goodes is an ambassador for), BUT she has done bugger all compared to Goodes over the last decade... No outrage what soever when she won, none for steve waugh (my fave sports man of all time) when he won it and he wasn't even helping out australian children...

People say they boo him for signalling out a 13 year old girl - which i find amusing too, considering he was the one who was villified... The next day he sat down with the girl and sorted it out, which people forget....

People say they boo him because he's a champion - i call bullsh*t on that too,. it's well past that now,.

Do i think it's all racially motivated, no... do i think a portion of it is, bloody oath... He's an outspoken aboriginal, history shows us people don't like it when a minority stands up for what he or she believes in. Remember when Cathy Freeman was slammed for running around with the aboriginal flag? How was that even an issue... People said they didn't like when goodes called Australian Day, 'invasion day' and people hated that, but can you blame an indigenous person for disliking that day???

Ben cousins does copius amounts of drugs, brakes the law on numerous time and we are told to feel sorry for him and leave him alone because he's a champion... But Goodes is the bad guy...

i personally have boo'ed once in my life at the footy and was promptly told off by my mum when i was about 5 or 6... The closest i've come to booing since is when i yelled out 'Roo' once at a crows game. i don't even boo the umpires. but that's just me.

finally like i stated above, i get to a point why he's boo'ed. And people will say others are boo'ed too, but not like this. Not with so much anger and hate... To say it's not you clearly have your head up your ass. And i also said the afl were wrong to tell people what to do...

Goodesy you legend...
by woodublieve12
Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sydney Swans 2015

Ben Cousins - drug addict, brakes the law - loved, given chance after chance
Shane Warne (who i am a fan off) - cheats on his missus, banned from his sport for taking a band substance, carrying on like a pork chop, does do alot for charity - as above

Cathy Freeman - proud of her heritage, outspoken regarding aboriginal issues, wore aboriginal flag after winning gold (slammed), won australian of the year (people said she only won it because the colour of her skin), lit the couldron for the 2000 olympics (people gave the same reason for the AOTY award), a great role model for kids around the country - loathed by many

Adam Goodes - proud of his heritage, outspoken regarding aboriginal issues, won australian of the year (people said she only won it because the colour of his skin), tremendous amount of charity work, ambassador for domestic violence - loathed

i understand why people dislike goodes, do i agree with it no, as i pointed out with the brief examples above people have done far worse than him but are aussie hero's... i feel there is something wrong with that.
by woodublieve12
Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015 Ashes

Footy Smart wrote:Is tonight the usual 7.30pm first ball ?

Sure is.
by RB
Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you rate!

AWESOME!!
by Booney
Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Carlton 2015

LOL. Croweaters are a funny lot. Adelaide a small town? Just done some research (albeit on Wiki) and Adelaide has San Francisco covered by half a million people. Is San Francisco or Dallas or Boston a small town? All with a smaller population than Adelaide. If we compare apples with apples Adelaide is the 5th biggest 'town' in Australia.

The big problem with SA and Adelaide is they worry too much about Melbourne and sometimes Sydney too much. Rest assured they aren't worried about Adelaide. Screw Sydney and Melbourne and especially Brisbane. Adelaide rocks.

Perhaps the only small town thing about Adelaide is the inferiority complex of some that live there. Oops. sorry, Carlton thread. **** they are shit! Play on. :)

regards,

REB
by Rik E Boy
Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 1 - 2017

Pretty shattering to say the least, the loss of the Modbury vs TTG match is a major blow for our club.. the behaviour and comments of the spectator were out of line, but the club has dealt with them immediately and they wont be seen around again.

its all fair to sit there and say that there has been 4 incidents in 14 months, but a couple of those were completely out of our control.. especially the person that entered the field during the melee as they had zero association or involvement with our club apart from knowing a player on that particular day.

Feel for our club president wo has worked tirelessly to try and avoid this sanction. All we can do is cop it and move on.
by Sass!
Tue May 23, 2017 5:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |