Search found 7 matches

Return

Re: Riverland Football Chatter

Unfortunately you think a merger would be a takeover but that's not how I would see it. It would have to be 50/50 and if the RFL was the league of choice, then BSR would be in a good position. Southern Saints are going well. Robby are well represented in that club and it's great to see their juniors doing well, both underage and the ones that have progressed to A grade. (Now there's two clubs that used to detest each other!) You have to be proactive with juniors these days as there are so many competing interests. Alot of the time travel is a convenient excuse so offer a solution so it can't be used.
I reckon Mid Murray United has a good ring about it. Imagine a full compliment of senior football and netball teams, good opportunities to recruit, plenty of kids around the club playing footy and netball and packed clubrooms after a game. Oh, and the footy at a better standard is actually fast, clean and more challenging/fun to play without having to worry about getting sniped behind play. Doesn't sound too bad at all.
You seem to think its so easy! For this to happen sedan would have to give up their home ground as the RFL would never travel to Sedan! They would also give up their club colors something they fought very hard to keep - can't see them being too happy with either of these options, what would they gain?
I think your underestimating the work that has been put in by our club to support juniors- people like Reidy and Webby have done everything on their power to keep the kids interested- for a number of reasons the numbers remain poor- a merge I can assure you wouldn't help with this.
Yes of course a bigger stronger club would be good but I'm not convinced a merge would create this- more work needs to be done to ensure the current Indy comp is at a good standard. With a bit of effort and all clubs working together it isn't impossible- just look at the 2013 Indy grand final I think most that saw it would agree it was a great display of country footy!
by BOM
Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Riverland Football Chatter

The MM's demise wasn't linked to not joining Mallee. Doing that would have resulted in more clubs folding - no one wanted the 2-3 hr travel and would have left. BSR lost Adelaide based players for that reason when moving to Indies. I still reckon BSR and Sedan should merge to form a new MM club and go somewhere that has full footy and netball at the same place. Which league is stronger RMFL or RFL? RFL might be a better fit despite the extra travel for city based players.
BSR and Sedan would never merge too much bad blood, think you would find most players would walk away and stay in the city to play footy - many of the guys in our side is made up of lads from the city who grew up playing at BSR and come home to play- merge it with the pigs and most wouldn't stay so why bother??
Not sure what's wrong with BSR as we stand?? Competitive and the players are happy- why leave just to keep a couple people happy that think they can run OUR club better than us!
by BOM
Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think you're preaching to the choir here BOM.
Don't think anyone will disagree with you.

What's the go after this weekend's game? Are you blokes heading back to Swan Reach hotel for a beer? Or staying at clubrooms?

Will be at the Clubrooms mate bar and meals available if the boys are keen. We have our past players day on so there should be a few around.
by BOM
Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415175864.706285.jpg

BSR Not dead just yet! Which will upset a few! But yes it will be a very different BSR taking to the field next year.
by BOM
Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Baron Greenback wrote:Good to hear mate. You might have to come out of retirement!

Na mate I've got a 5 year old that reminds me I don't play footy anymore every time I even put footy shorts on at home, I'm done haha
by BOM
Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Not to put the 3 lads from BSR that are leaving down, but they are in for a heck of a shock at Tanunda.
A REAL pre-season, REAL training sessions, REAL commitment level.
Players that are recently ex-SANFL, not ex-their 45th birthday.
I think all 3 will be handy B-graders or maybe fringe A-graders on a flank, pocket or wing at best.
But they wont be Big fish anymore, they will be down the tadpole scale end.
If BSR have the numbers, and the prospective coach joins, there will be 7-8 handy footballers to replace them,
Plus whispers BSR's 'aged' recruit from last year may continue on after all.
Would be right in the mix If all that happens.....
...If......

To be fair to the lads I don't think they're in for a shock at all I know all 3 are fully aware of the huge step up to the Barossa- this is the reason they are going, to have a crack and challenge themselves while they're still young and capable to have a go. Loosing the big fish tag won't bother them at all.
As for the commitment involved I think that will be the easiest thing out of the challenge for these lads to handle. All 3 of them thrive on the hard work- Paynee and Troy have both experienced the work required at other clubs and Samsons transformation over the last few years confirms his up to the physical challenge.
Agree will be interesting to see how these lads fit in especially at Tanunda which from reports will be a strong unit. I could see Paynee playing most of the season in the A's Troy the same if his knee is rite - which it wasn't last year but Sambo I think would struggle for an AGrade spot at all but a very handy b grader.
Overall I think it's a credit to them for giving it a go even if it is leaving BSR in a hard spot. Would be easy for them to hang around being the big fish in a small pond maybe win a couple medals - takes more to challenge your self and have a go!
by BOM
Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/23/7ysune4a.jpg
Bit of a rare event at Swanny on the weekend with Stix Coleman being chaired by his 2 sons after his 400th AGrade game! Also massive credit to Paringa who showed the respect to give him a guard of honor from the ground! Lots of teams wouldn't bother for an opposition player - was a real credit to them and their club.
by BOM
Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |