Search found 21 matches

Return

Re: BL&G Football League

Gawler Central had their first hit out for 2014 last night at Salisbury North.
Salisbury North had two midfielders and a defender out.
Gawler Central had Dunne, Molyneux, Brading, Gibson, Bova and Blakemore out.

Gawler Central 1.0 5.1 7.2......10.3 (63)
Salisbury North 3.4 4.8 6.14...6.15 (51)

Does this give any indication as to the standard of the BLG competition now??
Look forward to the comments on the comparisons of the Div 1 and BLG comps....
by Bag & Sledge
Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Riverland Football Chatter

Mallee Football League (SA) Waikerie Hassan, Salim Pending 2015-
Interesting in for Waikerie ?? will add a bit to the midfield

Will be a good in, wonder wether Franks will be still required. On another topic, interesting to see if the RFL will trial the Blue card for spectators, will be a few Bluey's getting shown to the mob in the shed at Lox Nth :lol:

A Blue Card for spectators... now I've heard it all...
by Bag & Sledge
Mon May 25, 2015 8:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Points System Is Crucifying Country Footy

I believe the Points System is crucifying country footy with the way association's distribute their player points and now it looks like a Salary Cap will be introduced for country footy next season which will make things even worse.
I know a country competition where attendances are the worst they have ever been in the last few years.
How can a successful team that gets the whole club in order (a club that's worked their backside off from a committee level to a playing & coaching group to give themselves every opportunity of winning a premiership) receive a penalty not of being able to recruit any further players for the next couple of years?
Are there any other sports that crucify a club for being successful or is it just SA Country Football??
The onus needs to be on the clubs at the bottom of the ladder to get their clubs in order, not rely on the associations to bring the successful clubs down to their level (by reducing their points from winning games) which brings the standard of the competition down to a level of ordinary footy!!
Lets use Victoria for a comparison, do they have the same issue?
No in fact their competitions are as strong as they have ever been and attendances are very healthy.
They try and recruit better players to get more bums on seats!!! It makes total sense!!
SALARY CAP:
In my opinion country footy is suffering (in SA) so why does Country Footy have to continue to suffer by introducing a Salary Cap.
Take a team that has a small community for example with a small population of juniors.
The club survives at A Grade level by spending money to attract players and remember they can only recruit so many due to the Points System.
What will introducing a Salary Cap do to those small communities that rely on Football in their small towns?
Not being able to recruit quality players will bring the standard of the competition down and what happens then? Smaller Attendances!
Who will want to go and watch the games?
Would you pay $7 to go and watch average players run around on a Saturday if you were not directly involved at a club? \
I'm certain that the local average Joe down the street would not be tempted to go and watch his local town's team play.
But if they are able to attract better recruits then of course-
-It means more attendance
-Which means more money spent at the club and town
-A higher participation level from kids because whether you believe it or not, some kids look up to a quality A Grade player, so they will want to play just like them.

POINTS SYSTEM:
SANFL Clubs are not happy with the amount of money being spent in Country Footy well money has always been a lure to recruit players but the amount spent these days I think is due to the Points System that was introduced.
Were there any problems or issues before the Points System was introduced??? No.
I have also heard SANFL clubs are not happy with the grass roots club trying to poach their former juniors back to their club.
For example a strong country club sends a kid to play SANFL underage footy then by the time he is in his mid 20's and playing reserves footy the grass roots club asks him to return - well why wouldn't they with the way this points system is setup??
Example-
The strong country club is severely penalised by the Association's Points System for being successful (Winning Games).
With games won over the past two years they are able to recruit 3 players (9 points) they win a premiership, then lose 4 players the following year for various reasons, but they hold their recruits and they've gone from 3 points to 2 points and the club has been penalised for winning so many games so they go down to 6 points and are unable to recruit any players.
How is it fair that a club works its back side off from the off field stuff to on field from committee to playing & coaching group and they then get told well you guys won too many games last year so we are docking your points for the next couple of seasons? DISGRACE!!

SANFL:
If SANFL clubs remember, they introduced two new clubs in Adelaide and Port Adelaide in the same season so of course that will weaken the competition when some clubs are already struggling for numbers of quality as it is.
Players being poached from SANFL clubs has happened since football has been a sport so that will never change and introducing a points system and now salary cap wont change a thing at SANFL level.
by Bag & Sledge
Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Lets use Victoria for a comparison, do they have the same issue?
No in fact their competitions are as strong as they have ever been and attendances are very healthy.

Unsustainable player payments, clubs folding or merging, competition and league structures under review, clubs changing leagues, yeah everything is rosy over there. Points system being introduced next year.

Mr Beefy go and check out a game in country Victoria one week, you'll be surprised with how they have built such a strong product for the people over there.
If the SANFL believe players are on too much money in country footy, they may have to start paying players more money if demands of a 3-4 night a week training sessions continue, if a player plays reserves all year correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure it works out to be about 50c an hour - that's what stinks.
Maybe the community football board also need to start adopting an Country Football association ranking (Like Victoria) to replace this Zone Footy debacle too.
At least it gives players and associations reason to play to attempt to become the number one country football association in the state.
by Bag & Sledge
Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Curious to know, with the new Salary Cap and Player Payment caps....

1- On the assumption all payments are declared to the ATO
2- Is the cap on Individual Player Payments ($500 unless marquee player of $1000) a restriction of trade?

Now keep in mind I agree with what they are trying to achieve in reducing player payments etc, I support a salary cap being in place (no matter how hard it will be to Police), but no matter whether I agree with it, I wonder if it can be done legally???

If a club are only allowed to spend $3k per week, But only have 9 points, that 1x $1000 2 x $500 = $2k spend
Yet the next club have 15 Points, thats 1 x $1000 4 x $500 = $3k

Why should a club, who has been more successful (judging by allocated points) not allowed to spend the allocated budget??? Why can they not pay their 3 players $1k each, it still sits inside their weekly $3k allowance???

Clearly the model has been based on the Ammo's and their every club gets 15 points rule, it is no coincidence the maths work out perfectly to fit their model, and again, country footy has been neglected by pathetic management.

Clearly everything is based on consultation with the SAAFL and their needs.
It is the amateur league crucifying country footy because they're a bunch of amateur footy clubs who are years behind the professionalism of the country clubs.
There is no loyalty in the amateur league forcing them to pay almost 100% of their playing lists meaning that they cant compete at the top end for gun players.

Well said Days!!
The Points system and Salary Cap along with the rules of the Salary Cap has just created a huge extra workload for someone at a club!!
I wonder if the Community Footy League will send some funds to the country clubs to pay the treasurers, secretaries and footy directors for the extra work they have now created for country clubs?
by Bag & Sledge
Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Re: Points System Is Crucifying Country Footy

Player Points System and a Salary Cap with plenty of ridiculous guidelines will drive Country Associations to leave the Community Football League and go Independent.
Just one of the ridiculous rules in this new Salary Cap is that the Community Football can dictate how much a club can hand out in after match Club Player Awards... Give me a break who do they think they are??!!
Will they next be dictating how many beers or food you are allowed to sell or how much money you can take over the bars and canteens on game day?
by Bag & Sledge
Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Re: Points System Is Crucifying Country Footy

Is it this actual proposal or just a salary cap in general? I think the idea of a cap is aright, but this proposal is poorly thought out.. if it was say $4k per week, plus a marquee up to $1000 a week, plus fuel allowance and best player incentives, surely clubs can operate on $90k plus allowances and incentives is fair..

Has there actually been any significant thought put into this proposal?
Duldig has lots of work ahead of him...

As in the proposal in place or my counter proposal?
I think the proposal in place atm is poorly thought out, but I think the proposal I threw out is fair and just..

I meant the CFL proposal.
A salary cap will never work, too hard to be policed and volunteers can not be expected to do the extra work.
What year did they last try and introduce a salary cap? was it during the 90's?
by Bag & Sledge
Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yorke Peninsula League

Big call by Norsworthy to change clubs in the same league.Can only assume that he is Moontas marque player as u wouldnt change clubs in the same league for $500. We have learnt over the years that the Moonta football club are an honest fine upstanding club so i feel good knowing that they would be playing by the new rules!

Greenbank wouldn't be there for $300 next year if northsworthy is their marquee man!!!

I heard Greenbank will play for nothing like Ramsey did this year, so this will allow Greenbank to be a Zero Point player in 2016 too and confirm Moonta to be the early Premiership favourites under the guidance of new coach Josh Ramsey.

In relation to Norsworthy leaving, I'm sure the new brains trust at Wallaroo have already earmarked one of their 'quality' under 17's to replace Norsa in the A's so no real loss for those delusional enough to believe their beloved Under 17's players will bring success to the Dogs anytime soon.
by Bag & Sledge
Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

barrys antz wrote:See on the saafl div 3 thread they are saying that Kurtz has decided not to play at tanunda now due to this blacklist ruling and has now signed with James Allan at Pembroke.

Lol... 'Blacklist'... laughable.
by Bag & Sledge
Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Club Payments Crackdown

Looks like its working... crowd numbers are the lowest they've ever been...
But seriously a decision needs to be made, its either a Points System or Salary Cap.
Having a Points System and Salary Cap affects the standard of the competition and if the standard is ordinary who would want to watch it?
by Bag & Sledge
Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Plains Football League

magpieeagle wrote:apparently Alex Starling to Virginia.

Will make a great Point Guard for the Virginia Basketball Club, any new football club recruits?

Heard at the Angle Vale Tavern on Sunday that Will Minson was being touted as the Owls new ruck man any truth to this?
by Bag & Sledge
Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Plains Football League

The excitement around The Owls 2017 Season continues... with reports Bryce Gibbs now requesting a trade to SA?

Come on The Owls!
by Bag & Sledge
Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Great news for the BLG with Nuriootpa signing Tom Sandercock, he'll be another great key position player for them.
South Gawler have done a great job recruiting Chad O'Sullivan as a playing coach from Torrens Valley along with Jackson Press from the Eagles and Brodie Hudson will be returning to the club from Gepps Cross.
Freeling have also gone down the playing coach path signing Scott Dutschke from CY Cougars, a great pick up for them. Would be amazing if Jesse O'Brien could return one day! Also heard a rumour the Redlegs have spoken with a Tall Forward from Division 2 Amateur.
Star Ruckman ​Luke 'Billy' Wells is finally back at Tanunda and they would now have the best ruck duo in the League as he joins Angas Kurtze.​
Willaston have done a great job to gain the services of Clint Voigt, Howson, the Gibbs boys (Gepps Cross) and Payne (SMOSH) but have read on the Amateur forum page that Johncock is going back to Henley? (Oval Ball might know more?) If so, this will be a big loss and could join the likes of Glenn, Allocca, White and Collins who are also allegedly departing the Donnies.
SA Country and Central Zone Full Forward Brad Mercer has gone into early retirement and started putting up fences on the Maldives, he'll join another retiree Heberle, who has allegedly gone to Williamstown... In Victoria. Two huge losses for the BLG.
Heard Kapunda have a new coach too but not the playing coach variety.
by Bag & Sledge
Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Salary Cap Investigations

Monday night should be fun.

4 SA Clubs done over the Cap!

2 from the SAAFL

Who's the Div 1 club with a current mass exodus?????? No idea who could someone lend me a HAND?

Not to point any fingers but if they've managed to finger anyone the penalties need to be severe. Only hope in hell of the system working

Totally agree!
If this Salary Cap is going to work, there needs to be a NO TOLERANCE policy on any breach.
There should be NO COMPASSION for any clubs self confessing, if you're over the cap by as little as $100 one week, you're over the cap, its as simple as that.
Wouldn't see the AFL letting clubs off with a slap on the wrist!
by Bag & Sledge
Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Season 2022 Player Movements

gazzamagoo wrote:
Bag & Sledge wrote:Likely upcoming SANFL recruiting announcements:

Norwood-
Jay Rantall (Collingwood)
Ben Kelly (Central District)
Jackson Kelly (Central District)

Jansen missing from your revised list.

Got announced yesterday by Norwood? 8)
by Bag & Sledge
Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2022 Season

Huge signing for the Adelaide Crows.

https://www.afc.com.au/news/1064668/sanfl-nathan-freeman-to-join-crows

Nathan Freeman averaged nearly 40 disposals a game last year in the VFL.

Absolutely ridiculous this is allowed to happen.
All the traditional SANFL clubs have struggled to recruit top shelf players due to the measly salary cap and then one of the AFL aligned clubs goes bang just like this? WTF
The SANFL competition issues just continue.
Noticed the admission prices for the VFL are $10 for 2022 and some grounds are free, very interesting.
By the way is there any other sport where the Salary Cap hasn't been raised back up to where it was pre COVID or just State League Football and SANFL?
by Bag & Sledge
Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Worrell - AFL listed player umpire discrimination

Ravens' Worrell claims the umpires adjudicate the AFL listed players differently.

I remember thinking this several times last Sunday. They were clearly shafted and I believe the umpires have been instructed to make life 'difficult' for them.

Fire away with your thoughts?

Firstly, if he wants to bring up 'unfair treatment' then lets start with some comparisons..
AFL Reserves Full time professional footballers v SANFL part time semi-professional footballers?
AFL reserves teams have more money
AFL reserves teams have better facilities
AFL reserves teams have a lot more resources
Who is being treated unfairly again?

This is almost the last straw, it's time for the AFL Reserves teams to leave the SANFL.
They are not improving the competition, they have absolutely no supporter base and thats evident when just 2,000 people attended the Norwood v Adelaide Qualifying Final last week.

Lastly, if this was in the AFL would Worrell and Hayes cop a fine for their comments?
by Bag & Sledge
Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: INS and OUTS for 2024

Looking forward to hearing our new coach announced today...
With Rosella and a former Norwood junior coach leading the way from a VFL visitor!
by Bag & Sledge
Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2024

Last night’s AFL Draft goes to show how far the SANFL Under 16’s and Under 18’s competitions are falling behind.
Our SANFL teams would get embarrassed if we had to play against any Coates Talent League clubs (Under 18’s National League with Murray Bushrangers etc).

SALARY CAP:
Read a great article in the paper on the weekend and I would have to agree…
The SANFL would have to be the only sport competition in the World that hasn’t put their Salary Cap back to Pre-Covid level, in fact it should actually be higher now than it was before COVID due to inflation.
by Bag & Sledge
Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2024

You will have to pay to get in to the womens games as of next season.

While the SANFL are choosing not to increase the Men's Salary Cap to Pre-Covid Levels maybe they should keep the admission fees for both SANFL and SANFLW down too?

State League Football must be the only Sport Competition in the World that has not put their salary cap back to pre-covid level?
Have all the SANFL employees that make these decisions had the same forced pay cut since 2020 whilst still having to do the same hours and expected to bring the same product?
by Bag & Sledge
Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: INS and OUTS for 2024

Was fit and good enough in GF 2021

He certainly was good enough in 2020. His ruckwork kick started the Eagles second quarter where they kicked 9 goals.
Foote deservedly won the Jack Oatey Medal that day, but Redden would have to have been in the best 3 on the ground.

How hard is it though? as we continue to not have a ruckman for any team to go against which has easily been the reason why we lost our last two GF appearance's
Couldn't agree more. Every North supporter I know have been crying out for a competitive ruckman for the last 10 years. The only time we had one was when a young Jordan Sweet was brought into the side late in 2018 and the rest is history. Mitch Harvey is a good footballer, but at best is a pinch hitting second ruckman.

Can't wait to have Reddo back, has served us well, now we just need Big Sauce as a player-coach!
I remember Reddo and Seb toweling up Sweet in the Preliminary Final back in 2018, Redden 30 hit outs and Seb about 20 from memory.
Also remember Baulderstone having 50 hit outs to Sweet's 20 in the 2018 Grand Final and Norwood being +20 for clearances that day?
by Bag & Sledge
Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |