Search found 40 matches

Return

Re: Barossa & Light Cricket 2014/15.

Congratulations and Goodluck to Doof , taking over at the helm of GC... Hopefully not feeling too much pressure to bowl young knighty too much.
by scud
Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Barossa & Light Cricket 2014/15.

Anything to be read onto Kingy's first game of the season coinciding with Frackowski leaving?
by daysofourlives
Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Points System Is Crucifying Country Footy

You neglected to give the SAAFL a mention in your post B&S.
IMO alot of this has been driven by them, clubs in the amateur league are just that.
They dont in alot of cases have the financial backing a country club/town does. They make alot of noise about country clubs recruiting their stars for more coin. Then they whinged about country clubs recruiting their "B" graders as they were no points and had the rules around that changed. What they fail to acknowledge is all the young lads they pick up from the country who move to town for study/work for no points.
There will never be a two way street in all this while the power base is city orientated.
by daysofourlives
Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Re: Points System Is Crucifying Country Footy

Salary cap won't work , how are you going to stop the wheat farmer or the potato grower from employing a bloke for 2 days and giving him $600 . The cfl should actually get of there butt ,
go and watch a few games and get a feel of what's going on out there.
Apps system only rewards mediocrity why should clubs that win Gf or play finals get penalised?
Give every club the same amount of points or get rid of it.
by running defender
Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This is the best post I have seen in ages! Bag and Sledge I could not have written it better! They are killing country footy and if you try and speak to anybody at Community footy they don't give a rats ar$e!
by Dogs Breakfast
Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Salary cap won't work , how are you going to stop the wheat farmer or the potato grower from employing a bloke for 2 days and giving him $600 . The cfl should actually get of there butt ,
Apps system only rewards mediocrity why should clubs that win Gf or play finals get penalised?
Salary cap can work if players are made to sign stat decs on what & how they're paid.
What a load of crap APPS rewards mediocrity, it stops clubs buying flags year after year.
Salary cap will never work. Only penalises the honest clubs. There are still plenty of wealthy supporters willing to slip money in players back pockets
by Jim05
Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Congrats BS best post I have read on this forum.
by shoe boy
Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Salary cap can work if players are made to sign stat decs on what & how they're paid.
What a load of crap APPS rewards mediocrity, it stops clubs buying flags year after year.

Makes you wonder then how all these leagues/clubs survived in some cases for over 100 years, thank god for the points system the saviour of local footy :roll:
by qwerty
Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Isn't this whole campaign about protecting the SAAFL and SANFL? They are sick of losing players to country leagues for dollars.
by Monopoly Man
Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Monopoly Man wrote:Isn't this whole campaign about protecting the SAAFL and SANFL? They are sick of losing players to country leagues for dollars.

Not sure the country leagues give a damn about the SAAFL, I know most people in the Barossa dont. Maybe the SAAFL need to catch up and charge entry fees.
by Jim05
Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I love the arguments that payments are out of control and the like. Apparently players are not worth what they are getting.

Clubs will only pay what they are prepared to, players will get paid what they are worth (simple economics that something is worth what someone is willing to pay).

My biggest issue is with the hypocritical idiots who suggest that someone should not be allowed to gain a little bit of extra income by risking their body once a week over 18-20 weeks of a year. I am sure that in their everyday job they do not offer to take a pay cut because there is someone out there in the world who does a similar job for less pay, nor forgoing earning a bit extra by getting a second job, sitting on a Board, selling things on eBay, investing, etc. I know of people who have made playing and coaching country football their primary job, how dare someone suggest that they should not be allowed to do that - if someone is willing to pay them, good luck to them.

It is all designed to protect two things; the AFL Reserves competition, a league that has no soul, no relevance and minimal future; and the Channel 9 Adelaide Football League, the behemoth league that is the result of the centralisation of metropolitan football from the 70s to the 90s, that has abandoned it's amateur principles, but wants to impose them on the rest of the state.

Change the SANFL to AFL South Australia as that is what it now represents; split up the SAAFL to re-establish district leagues with a central Amateur competition based around the Old Scholars cartel; reform the Country Football Championships into a divisional inter-league carnival rather than meaningless zones; and remove unnecessary regulatory policies (APPS, Salary Cap, Age Restrictions etc) from metropolitan and country clubs to allow them to just play football and represent their communities. Football would be a lot healthier in this state as a result.

By the way, I nominate this discussion started by Bag & Sledge for Thread of the Year.
by Look Good In Leather
Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If small country clubs are happy to fundraise and pay out $ to keep their town alive or chase success good on them I say as football is so critically important in these communities.

Points system means well by rewarding loyalty but doesnt reward hard working clubs who achieve success, it penalizes them and has pushed player payments up so needs tweaking.

Salary cap is a joke and I hope struggling clubs in particular just do what they need to do to survive!

SANFL and SAAFL both have massive population bases to choose players from yet are a bunch of sooks. They have no idea what country clubs go through just to put their team on the park and hence keep their communitys alive each year and instead of changing the rules to suit them how about they use their energy fundraising or finding a way to keep their players.
For example 50bux a game for SANFL ressies and expected to train 4 or 5 times a week or 300-800 in some cases for twice a week trg out in country on apprentice wages is not a hard choice.

CFL makes all these rules and I for one wont mind one bit if country leagues tell them where to go. Long live country footy!
by oldbomber
Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Callington folded because they were getting flogged each week, it was an embarrassment to the HFL and Mt lofty ran out of money because they had a tea leaf in the club, not because they bought 3 premierships. Ask yourself's this why have Uriadla been so successful ? Is it money or club culture or is it the coach, there model should be followed, whatever they are doing we should all be striving to match them. Clubs fold not because they run out money but a lack of numbers . Leave it alone it will sort itself out.
by running defender
Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Every league affiliated should be represented when this type of overbearing decision is made.
It is simply a SANFL saviour situation that has been instituted by representatives that have one agenda - save our SANFL reserves comp and keep the SAAFL strong.
It is also unfortunate that one person in particular on the board will lead and orchestrate the direction taken which is not with the best interest of the competition they supposedly are representing at heart - and I am sure we all know the primary SANFL allegiance.
I wonder if most of the mooted change was made over another long long lunch!!!
Each of the Country leagues are quite different in makeup whereas a one size fits all approach has been taken which again shows a total lack of understanding.
Don't get me wrong as I agree that some changes / tinkering is required but the way it is occurring and the fallout that will ensue is not in the best interests of country footy.
by Legs Man
Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Some great posts and discussion on this thread, I wonder if the 'SACFL' and I use that term loosely have taken the time to read any of this?

It would appear based on the large majority that they should at least seek feedback from clubs, not leagues, as many on here are upset by the representation or lack thereof they are being provided with.

The fact that this is supposed to work in conjunction with the APPS is even more baffling.
by qwerty
Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Had an interesting comment passed onto me today in regards to Salary Cap and APPS.
The Salary Cap / APPS committee are expecting a number of country clubs to fold due to the new salary cap regulations. Hence I would suggest there will be no discussion in regards to a phase in period or adjustment of the salary cap for any affiliated leagues.
They are expecting clubs in regional South Australia including the South East, Mallee, Riverland, Adelaide Plains and other regional areas to not be able to continue due to lack of numbers. Obviously these people have no affiliation with country towns who's only source of social interaction is through sport on the weekends. Almost ruling football by abolishing freedom of choice, causing social exclusion for regional communities.
I think all people agree a salary cap is required but to submit clubs to a ridiculous amount along with the APPS is both unwarranted and unproductive in what the CFL is trying to achieve.
Leanne Grantham commented 90% of presidents agreed with salary cap I would like to see that list and I would also like to see what response those 90% would have at the proposed changes. I think now that people have had a chance to study the proposal would agree the changes are to severe and probably at least a three year phase in period was warranted. All the CFL will achieve now is to drive payments under the table even further.
The other predicament the CFL will find themselves in relates to the APPS points being used as punishment. How can this be unless directed solely at the SAAFL as they are the only league who have every team on the same points (15). Every other league that I know of have varied points. 3 years ago pretty sure Tanunda was on 1 point so how does taking all there APPS points away equate to the same as taking all of Kingston's 20 points away. I would have thought all APPS points would have to be equal to use as punishment.
To Leanne Grantham and David Shipway you have yelled from the rafters how good the Country Championships were, and how good football is in our state, so why are we looking to make such monumental changes. Agree we needed changes but the sledgehammer approach wreaks of desperation. A last ditch effort to save the SANFL and what a bonus for the SAAFL pity about everybody else.
by sideview
Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Some great posts and discussion on this thread, I wonder if the 'SACFL' and I use that term loosely have taken the time to read any of this?

It would appear based on the large majority that they should at least seek feedback from clubs, not leagues, as many on here are upset by the representation or lack thereof they are being provided with.

The fact that this is supposed to work in conjunction with the APPS is even more baffling.

If you read the terms and conditions of rules that this group on the Fantasy Football Board, you can see that they are either arrogant or have NFI. Firstly they don't understand these rules will cripple small country clubs who rely on imports to field a side. You don't get players to Murrayville and Peake without spending more than $3,000 a game. Then the rules state that you are guilty until innocent if charged with a breach of the rules. Clubs will have to to prove their innocence, if dobbed in by another club for breaking any laws. That is just comedy gold. These people are writing laws, that are not even permissible under the laws of the land. Guilty until proven innocent. Thankfully 5 leagues have already decided that they will tell them to shove it where the sun doesn't shine. More leagues will then follow the leaders, as their clubs players will get raided for 0 points, by the leagues not joining
by oyster
Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

No need to have the points system if the salary cap comes in is there?
by daysofourlives
Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Too many leagues have voted no for this to work and many are sweating off on what happens when these leagues move away from the SACFL. It's all turning into a circus and won't work. No need anyone worrying about it getting off the ground. Won't happen in most leagues and any leagues that adopt it, the savvy country people have already found loop holes.
by oyster
Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yorke Peninsula League

In Matts defense losing gun recruit Ronald Lee Jr IV to a season ending injury dashed any hopes of finals contention.
by test
Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Probably harsh on the big fella he's a warrior, but other then the McLean cousins slapping each other after games we're all good Officejet, but thanks for the concern [emoji106]
by test
Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: BL&G Football League

Surprise surprise Slattery gets off
by daysofourlives
Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

one day I will wrote:
Officejet wrote:I will make sure Josh "The Little Master" Lawson thanks the Dogs on Sunday.

you would wanna hope he thanks u officejet for all this talk.

Would be a fair task considering they don't know each other
by test
Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You 2 would make a good partnership, you should team up and put your energy to good use rather then being Nostradamus's on a local footy forum [emoji106]
by test
Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

8. Payments made to players for representative football will not be deemed a football payment (up to $150 Association, $300 Zone, $500 State).

So the expectation now is that we should be paying our players to play rep football. They are happy for us to pay our players a bit extra as a reward for playing in their meaningless lightning carnival.
Agendas all over the place here.
by Look Good In Leather
Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm not bitter about anything! Unlike some of this forums posters [emoji6]
by test
Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I wonder if a change to the points allocation would make life easier and give greater incentive for clubs to retain players.

What would be the outcome for clubs if the -1 point was taken away from U17 kids, but was applied to players who have played 100+ A Grade games for your club?

Most associations are 16 games per season, so it would be just over 6 full seasons without missing a game to become eligible. If you are lucky enough to play finals, you may get it just before the end of your 6th season.

Still capped at say 3 players.

I want to make it clear I'm all for junior development, and clubs should be trying to get the most out of their kids, but I wonder if its having a negative effect sometimes, the kid goes up to play A's. hardly gets on, doesn't enjoy, doesn't want to do it again (which is becoming common from what I'm hearing around the traps). The other thing is sometimes good local seniors may miss out on a game in the A's because of the clubs need to play a kid or two...

Rather than try and get around the system 'using' kids, why not reward clubs who manage to keep players at their club???
by RooShootOhh
Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Points can be policed by anyone and infringements can be quickly and easily noted and penalised.

Salary caps are easily circumvented which defeats the purpose (e.g. skimming of gate takings to pay cash in hand, third party payments, raffles being diverted to players without going through the books, keeping two sets of books - one for auditing and the other being the real books, etc.).

I have been in sports admin at a statewide level and know that you cannot catch people unless they are stupid as the above methods are sure fire ways to get away with it ... unless you are the Melbourne Storm LOL
by Benchwarmer
Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Points can be policed by anyone and infringements can be quickly and easily noted and penalised.

Salary caps are easily circumvented which defeats the purpose (e.g. skimming of gate takings to pay cash in hand, third party payments, raffles being diverted to players without going through the books, keeping two sets of books - one for auditing and the other being the real books, etc.).

I have been in sports admin at a statewide level and know that you cannot catch people unless they are stupid as the above methods are sure fire ways to get away with it ... unless you are the Melbourne Storm LOL

Spot on. Thats exactly why the rule is as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike. The very nature of coaches, players, football clubs and supporters is to try and win games of football and premierships. After a year of playing by the rules and seeing the other clubs not playing by the rules and having success, then human nature will kick in and payments will happen via all the methods you just described and then some. Why administrators have to try and justify their position by bringing in rules that will never work always astounds me. Administrators are about as useful as the ashtray on the said motorbike when they try to justify their positions with ridiculous rules. People just trying to look important when they finish playing while some never did which is even more astounding.
by oyster
Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Plains Football League

The Bunyip suggested that Angle Vale and APFL were expecting to hear of the SACFL's decision by the end of this week. Any news?

Why would it take so long? Edwardstown's one was pretty much rubber-stamped straight away.

WTF is it any of the CFL's business anyway, surely leagues decide if its best for them, just another example of the dictatorship that is the CFL
by daysofourlives
Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Club Payments Crackdown

No it hasn't worked , it's just a stupid idea some croanies dreamt up
To try and save the SANFL .
No club has been caught or fined, if clubs are prepared to work hard to raise money they should be allowed to spend
How they want
It's a joke
by running defender
Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Salary Cap Investigations

Name 1 Australian club that has ever been kicked out of any competition for that? Way over the top.
by LaughingKookaburra
Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Im hearing South have signed someone from the Eagles, anyone got a name yet? ;)
by daysofourlives
Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Nocyrils wrote: I'm led to believe politics were pretty bad this year at Gc. This may of contributed to some of these departures
Also chuck J Blakemore in the mix of the departures as he may be moving to melbourne

Sounded like an interesting season off the field, that's for sure.
by Dogwatcher
Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Monday night should be fun.

4 SA Clubs done over the Cap!

2 from the SAAFL

Who's the Div 1 club with a current mass exodus?????? No idea who could someone lend me a HAND?

Not to point any fingers but if they've managed to finger anyone the penalties need to be severe. Only hope in hell of the system working
by jo172
Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Salary Cap Investigations

Aren't there a few teams in the Barossa who pay the players partners to play netball and this is on top of the payments the players are already getting and not declared in the cap??? So in effect, the money the partner is getting paid to play netball is actually part of the football payment on the side?
All Barossa clubs have been cleared so I'm guessing they are doing nothing wrong.
In these days of equality it would be unfair if netballers weren't being paid aswell[emoji13]
by Jim05
Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Brodlach wrote:How have former CLG players Harvey and D.SC. going in this league?

Both veru ordinary, i believe one went back to the amo's and the other shouldve, hes that far out of his depth its not funny. Not unexpected though, all part of the genius recruiting
by daysofourlives
Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So two years out and every club in South Australia clean.

How many people are working to enforce this? Would seem to be getting paid well for very little results
by jo172
Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HFL Division 2 (Country)

Officejet wrote:Ryan Nelson named the new coach of Gumeracha.

Thanks for that scoop OJ
by daysofourlives
Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: INS and OUTS for 2019

I reckon Matt is only 20 years old. Handy footballer.

Yes. My bad. In fact Jydon is 23 Matt 20 and Jaxon 19. Jydon and Matt both likely to make an impact from the get go, Jydon as a lead up mid size forward and Matt as on baller/defender.
Matt is a very good player and hopefully has recovered from his horrific injury. Unless Jydon has improved markedly I think he may struggle over here

Seen them both play a few matches Jim?
Saw Jydon a couple of times when he was in our VFL program and he struggled at the time but that was a couple of years ago now.
Haven’t seen much of Matt at all apart from bits and pieces of footage and I know that regular VFL watchers and a couple of club officials were hoping he would sign with our VFL club as they rate him. They will definitely be keeping a close eye on him
by Jim05
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |