Search found 51 matches

Return

Re: BL&G Football League

Very sad news for all football supporters with the sudden passing of Steven "Mono" Connelly. Only 50 and one of the fittest blokes I have ever had the privilge to have been involved with in my time in football.
Coached and played at Willaston, played at both Centrals and the Redlegs at SANFL and I think played a couple of state games over his career and was a great bloke when you got to know him.
RIP Mono.
by UNCLE SAM
Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HFL Central Division

As an outsider this situation with Mt Lofty is simply comical and must go down as one of the biggest dummy spits by a country football club. Any club worth there salt would take their medicine and work their ass off to come back bigger and stronger. One gets the feeling the club will be so exhausted by Christmas that it could severly limit their performance whereever they play next year.
by From The Outer
Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Sorce wrote:I hope Mt Lofty have their Boxing Gloves ready if they are thinking of Joining an Amateur Division that low...... at that level its only about 20% actual football the rest is just fights and thugs running around looking to clean someone up!.

PFFFFTTTT.... Turn it up...
by the milky bar kid
Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think Mt Lofty would be aiming a bit higher than Div 6. I'd imagine the SAAFL would accept them at about Div 4 level . From an outsider looking in its actually not a bad move. Metro South is a very strong junior comp and the Amateur League at those mid range divisions don't pay out ridiculous amounts for players. So financially it would be a smart move.
i would think NOT. I reckon a few clubs might have a bit to say about that!
by woodublieve12
Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Have just been notified the only 2 options being voted on at tonights SGM are that 1. Lofty seniors in HFL and Juniors Metro Sth and option 2 are Lofty seniors Amateurs and Juniors Metro South. There is no other option given or proposed. Having read through the Chairpersons logic it claims that to field teams in HFL country to win a flag would cost $100k and Amateurs $40k. (If they are stupid enough to pay that then they need a new footy director) The proposal Notes comparisons to Goody Saints who started in Div 4 and have won a few flags lately. Does Kym seriously believe that all the ex league players they recruited played for love !!!! The proposal also presumes that HFL would allow the Devs to field seniors without juniors - I don't think so. (It is blatantly clear that there are serious management problems at the Devils and I think what should be voted on is a new committee.) They base this assumption on the fact that sedan and other teams do this but have forgotten conveniently that they would if they could. Out of interest I rang Amateur league to find out if they still cap junior team numbers at lists of 28 and was informed that they do. That being the case would shoot down the theory of moving there as you can't have multiple teams in the same comp. They also have even age groups of 12,14,16 and 18s - The AFL way. There is actually a Q & A component to the justification for tearing the heart and sole from a club. It is quite comical that Kym and Mark being Chair and President are driven by spite and no common sense. It will be a very interesting SGM and a family member will be there voting to try to keep sense involved and the club in the HFL totally. Do the time in country and prove how good they are and come back up. Unfortunately we are about to see the death of a proud club. :oops: :oops:
by has been
Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think Mt Lofty would be aiming a bit higher than Div 6. I'd imagine the SAAFL would accept them at about Div 4 level . From an outsider looking in its actually not a bad move. Metro South is a very strong junior comp and the Amateur League at those mid range divisions don't pay out ridiculous amounts for players. So financially it would be a smart move.
One of the conditions has always been that if you want to enter the SAAFL you start from the bottom.
So I would highly doubt they would let them in at Div 4 as it would make a mockery of their whole promotion/relegation system, which Mt Lofty have a problem with it seems anyway!!!
Take your lumps and go down to Country you bunch of sooks!
by Panther32
Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

They are looking at Div 3 or 4. I'd suggest 4 as a starting point from what I've seen of your beloved bulldogs who won the Div 4 flag. Any lower and there wouldn't be any chance of them making the move. They also think they can emulate the success of Goodwood and rise up to win Div 1 in 5-6 years on a $40k budget ha ha. :shock: :shock:

I would agree they would have to get used to the slightly less disciplined acts that come with the lower divisions. Div 3 or 4 isn't too bad but late hits are part of the game when things get heated or one team gets on top.

I don't think it is a good thing for the HFL if Mt Lofty self destructs on this, but if the "pride" of the committee/members gets in the way of logical decisions then so be it.
From what I understand, Brighton looked at moving to the amateurs after winning the premiership due to the SFL not splitting the league into two divisions but they were told they would have to start at the bottom which they were never prepared to do, so I don't see why they would let Lofty start at Div 4.
There are 30 odd clubs below div 4 that have been working their ass off to get up to div 4 and above so I'm guessing 30 teams would be very unhappy if the SAAFL just let them start in div 4!!!
by Panther32
Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

They are looking at Div 3 or 4. I'd suggest 4 as a starting point from what I've seen of your beloved bulldogs who won the Div 4 flag. Any lower and there wouldn't be any chance of them making the move. They also think they can emulate the success of Goodwood and rise up to win Div 1 in 5-6 years on a $40k budget ha ha. :shock: :shock:

I would agree they would have to get used to the slightly less disciplined acts that come with the lower divisions. Div 3 or 4 isn't too bad but late hits are part of the game when things get heated or one team gets on top.

I don't think it is a good thing for the HFL if Mt Lofty self destructs on this, but if the "pride" of the committee/members gets in the way of logical decisions then so be it.

If they think they can emulate Goodwood in any way is a huge laugh. Goody Saints have been one of the most successful clubs since coming into the SAAFL (1985) with around 20 flags across all three senior grades in that time - including 5 Div 1 flags in a row. If Mt Lofty want to move to the Amateurs you are more than welcome, you'll just have to start at the bottom like new clubs do. If you don't like it than stay in your current league like Brighton chose to do.

And if you don't like being told what to do go and start your own league where you can make the rules up to suit your own needs.
by Fricky
Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Really... I'm ranting... If I am I'm clearly not alone.
Still I haven't heard a solution from you and you seem to be the resident HFL genius.
Which position do you currently fullfill and will i expect to see you at the meeting?
You are definitely not alone in ranting on here. There's too many keyboard warriors on here who hide behind an alias & don't even put the actual club their allegiance is with (unless there has been a major shake up that no one knows about, Wunkar are not in the HFL) but still make comments on how the process should work without having even been involved in the process.
I have posted my solution plenty of times before but will save you the trouble of trying to find it. If there are 2 neighbouring clubs both struggling with junior numbers then a merger could be the solution. The word genius gets bandied around way too much so I cant accept that honour but thanks for the nomination.
I am on the Onkas Junior committee & am the HFL junior rep from Onkas who goes to all the meetings so yes you will see me there. Even went to the AGM & will be going to the 2nd AGM in February. I'll take a wild guess & say you're not on any committee of any HFL club & haven't been to any HFL meetings.
by cracka
Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Blackwood are "fully supportive of the HFL" but are putting a team in the Amateurs? If you are fully supportive of an organisation you take what comes along - the good and the bad. If they are looking to play every week, why not put a team in Country Division or would that be a bit tough for the poor Woodies? Sounds hypocritical to me!
by MONTE CRISTO
Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HFL Country Division

how is a team like Cambrai suppose to compete with the big guns when they are only allocated the same amount of points as Mt Lofty.
by Kick'n Back
Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Yorke Peninsula League

The brothers are well known for signing with multiable clubs before the start of the year. I'll let you know this weekend and see if he turns up to the kadina fishing trip.

No need to let me know bud but its a bit far fetched to say that 'brothers' are well known for... Fair to say you'd be white.
Check your facts champppppppppppppp. Benbolt is a bloodhound. Do u get you :roll: r info out of a box of fruit loops?
I do and apparently Sam Toucan has treasure buried somewhere near Ardrossan.
by OnSong
Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 2 2014

at last....... a coach that says he has the " the full backing of the board " might be safe
by old moz
Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kowree Naracoorte Football League

Good money at Padthaway for the two boys from Encounter Bay, $3.5K per game each. No wonder our footy is stuffed! :shock:
Mate there not even on that between em. 3.5k per game each haha come on caramels!!

So which one of them are you calling a "liar"? You are no doubt within the inner sanctum down there if you can emphatically deny that figure. If I told you where that info came from you may get a shock, but I won't! :butthead:

The club was already pretty much at its limit b4 welsh and perrie so u expect them to find another 100k plus just lying round champ? Someones pullin ya leg mate. Oh and yes im am very close to that club alot bloody closer then yaself. Keep dribbling its entertaining :)

Very community spirited of them to leave Encounter Bay where they played in a flag last year to more than triple their drive and play for the love of the game. :roll: :lol: Dunno about 3.5K per game each, but it'd have to be a tidy sum.
by field of dreams
Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I see 3 of the Central clubs have been busy in the sponsorship side, naming their ovals with the sponsors name, i.e.
Ironbank now Mortgage Choice Adelaide Hills Oval
Torrens Valley now Hughes Construction Oval
Lobethal now Thomas Foods International Oval.

Fantastic idea! Anyone want to start suggesting others?

STA or Greyhound Buses Oval at Echunga as apparently they'll be 'bussing' up most of their Senior Colts from Adelaide (??)
Haha!
by hillscrow
Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Spoke to a lad from Sedan today and he told me they will be lucky to get within 30 goals of the team coming down from the top division yet they both have been allocated the same points. If that is true your decision makers should become clowns in the circus.

It's true and very unclear on how the HFL have justified it. My understanding is a few clubs want answers and another special meeting will be called.

It's bloody unbelievable!
by backdoor
Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just remember Echunga asked the question about more points. The HFL are the ones that awarded the club extra points.
by choppy
Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I see 3 of the Central clubs have been busy in the sponsorship side, naming their ovals with the sponsors name, i.e.
Ironbank now Mortgage Choice Adelaide Hills Oval
Torrens Valley now Hughes Construction Oval
Lobethal now Thomas Foods International Oval.

Fantastic idea! Anyone want to start suggesting others?
That's been happening for years. I know Lofty's was Subway Stadium, then (I think) Stratco Stadium. I thought others had followed suite late 2000's but not sure...
It would be the first time though that I have seen the ovals referred to by the corporate name in the official draw on the HFL website.
by spot on
Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Maybe other Hills clubs did not want to go there. Meningie certainly got badly burnt by the high profile big $$$ experiment.
by From The Outer
Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Settle down there Champ :shock:
by PussInBoots
Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Champ eat a snickers mate!!
by grasshopper22
Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Finding coin at Uraidla . NO PROBLEM !!!
by The Panther
Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

the_grinch wrote:Are Lobey going to peak in May again this year? :P

Are Birwood ever going to peak Grinch?
by chopper7
Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well done, Legs Man, bloody great insight. I got bits & pieces from mates at Lofty re how it unfolded but didn't realise that it was such a shambles.
Your point re having Echunga, Nairne & Lofty in Central is a really valid one, I think. I don't know if there's a DEFINITIVE model that'll tick all the boxes, but you're right about the divide. Although I like seeing Lofty hand out floggings, I can't see how it helps Country Div at all this year. Added to this: if Echunga finish bottom of Club Shield, but at the same time get more competitive as the season progresses, have solid facilities/committee etc, but they get relegated...footy loses, really. There'll always be swings & roundabouts but something's not quite right at the moment from what you said.
by Justquietly
Fri May 02, 2014 3:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Legsman, I doubt you would still be sticking up for Lofty if you were at the AGM & saw how their delegates tried to sway others to vote against Echunga's appeal.
by cracka
Fri May 02, 2014 5:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Correct, lots of family involvement at Lobethal, some might say inbred, I say family
by FairDinkum
Sun May 04, 2014 5:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Wingfield Royals Up & About

Might not win a game this year, but I don't think that fazes the players. Just a bunch of lads keen for a kick and drink after the game.

Just gotta get the away shower running and get a few of the lads out of their basketball shorts ;)
by Q.
Sun May 04, 2014 2:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Was very impressed with Echunga on Saturday. Dominated from start to finish as good as anyone we've played so far. Always had more numbers around the ball, so much so I did about 5 counts just to make sure they weren't playing 19.
Interesting to see the Echunga coach using 2 runners for the game, what's with that .

He is AFL bound mate... gotta align himself with his end destination.... :roll:
by WingerFC
Mon May 12, 2014 1:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I actually get on well with some Blackwood guys and am simply looking for a solution to the 10 team comp woes.

Junior footy is so important to a clubs future and it is getting worse in Country - just ask Meadows.

Echunga is now starting to gain some traction in colts grades with players coming who are comfortable with the standard and travel involved.

If we had stayed in Country we would now be close to unable to fill both J/C, S/C.

lets hope someone or something sees sense here and looks at a different structure for Hills footy moving forward.
by Legs Man
Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SH*T - knew I would forget some!

OK - I am also resigned to the fact that we are likely in a 9 and 9 team comp situation.

It has been a breath of fresh air for Echunga playing in Central with more people coming to matches and wanting to be involved.

The tyranny of distance kills any hope for junior footy though and must be addressed.

Perhaps we look at geographical areas of 9 teams in each zone?

E.G.

Southern Hills: Lofty, Bridgey, Echunga, Hahndorf, Meadows , Maccy, Kangarilla, Ironbank, Blackwood

Northern Hills: Mt Barker, Nairne, Lobey, TV, Kersbrook, Gumeracha, Birdwood, Onkas, Uraidla

Combined C grade across both zones for overflow and Milang, Sedan, Callington.

This also allows for a "conference" match mid year South V North

Finals will still be top 5 teams in each zone.

You could even have a super GF after between the winners of each zone.

It also dispenses with the relegation system and makes it an overall even comp with relatively easy travel.

Hopefully someone from the league is reading this!
by Legs Man
Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wow - your mail is way off the mark and incredibly inflated guys.

I would think we are more like half of that.

Comparing to Uraidla, Lobey, Mt Barker, Ironbank - and now TV to name a few.

As I mentioned before we are quite lucky that the players who we do look after are not mercenaries and are playing for the right reasons.

if we hadn't gone into Central we would have lost quite a few to Central clubs for the level of footy played and they were offering a lot more money than us.

The guys have a point to prove that we are competitive with a relatively unchanged side from Country.

They were also sick of flogging sides by 100 points and playing some weeks against teams a long way away.

Let's not kid ourselves fellas, no one has a clue what other clubs are paying their players so why float rumours that are completely off the mark?
Gotta agree with this, but it'll still get a run every year.
At the risk of sounding like 'incentivising' is the ONLY way to go, when it comes to HFL rep honours, what if the clubs with players that bothered to don the HFL jumper got $200 (or whatever). That's THE CLUB gets that. Otherwise, really, is there much drive for clubs putting up their best players with the risk of injury for zero premiership points?

The players picked were given petrol money with enough left over to buy a carton of grog and a packet of chips
by Cougar
Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Overthehill you are presuming that there will still be promotion and relegation rules?! Who knows maybe Mt Lofty come in (and Nairne?!) to make a 12 team comp. At this stage I believe that [b] Bridgey, Echunga, Onkas and TV all add something to the Central division..so too would Mt Lofty and Nairne . Bring them in I say..[/b]

Sad to see my Magpies go down to Echunga on the weekend, whilst the Magpies had some key personnel out its unlikely it accounted for 9 goals, its no excuse but our young brigade didnt turn it on on the weekend, maybe we need to go out and spend another $1500 a week on a recruit? NOT! We still won 4/5 games...!

Groovster, I do not disagree but i don't believe the HFL have the power to make that decision. That would need to be a constitutional change voted by the clubs. In saying that i have no insider knowledge into the HFL

Yes all of these clubs have the potential to or already add something to central. But moving to a 12 team comp may not work in the long term. A crystal ball, if we had one, may show the same issue we now have in country (a massive gap in competitiveness) eventuating in Central in years to come, should the change to a 12 team be made.

It would almost surely see the end of the country div. I for one believe that the long term fix to our league doesn't lie in a change to the Central Division, but in the improvement of the Country Division. Which will only improve Central, were as the same can not be said for Counrty if we are to improve Central now.

Suggestion then is what? How can you improve country div? We need to attempt to bring clubs up to a common level not prejudice clubs for the success they have in bringing them 'back down' to a common level.

Unfortunately this just isn't going to happen. Satellite towns outside of the major populated areas are/will continue to struggle. This isn't just evident in sport but in all types of services including health, education, etc etc.

For country to survive they need to either merge and become stronger with their geo spread or maintain status who and have their own league which caters for them. Maybe the HFL Central becomes a different league vs HFL Country which is I dependant ( ie riverland).

Agree that HFL should become paid professional it clearly lacks business and common sense. The cost should be subsidised by SANFL, afl and Central clubs.

The power to change all this is with our clubs own committees..we need to voice our opinions to our resoective club presidents etc so that change happens.
by groovster
Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

My Tigers have put in 2 poor performances, hope it's not a repeat of last years form. Injuries can't be used an an excuse as all teams are in the same boat. Will be interesting to see how the boys respond in this weeks Courier Cup final at the Cabbage Patch.

All fixtures this week are are again 50/50, no results would surprise me. It's a bloody good comp!
by Yellow & Black
Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Making Central division a 12 team comp will kill country division & most country clubs. Do we really want to do that.
by cracka
Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Gum knocked off Kersbrook for the first time in over a decade I believe.

They certainly did. Excellent game by the young gumeracha lads.
First time in a lot of years that I have witnessed a gumeracha team play with some actual want and desperation. There was no real big individual efforts just a team of players working for each other. Hopefully a good sign of things to come.
by doubletrouble
Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This money issue is such a difficult one. Unfortunately in many ways football has become about recruiting the most cashed up sponsors. I don't think anyone likes it and all clubs have contributed to the problem at some time or another. Some suggestions I think they could try:

1. Stick to the points system - clubs should only get extra points if the other clubs agree - 2/3's majority or something like that
2. Increase the points difference between bottom and top - give top less not bottom more
3. Reduce a players points at a slower rate from year to year
4. On top of the points restriction limit the number of new players (other than juniors) a club can recruit - a club like Uri's who have been top for so long recruiting a Delvins (I think that's his name?) this year just doesn't seem right. That's just an example not knocking them in particular as they obviously do a lot right in terms of retaining players
5. Clubs sign up to a code of conduct regarding player payments - with the clubs themselves enforcing breaches. Eg a max per any single player is set at $x per game - if 2/3rds of clubs feel a club has breached then they can be stripped of premiership points or removed from the comp

There is no single silver bullet that will fix the issue but perhaps a combination of measures might have an impact.

I don't feel 'sorry' for the dumb clubs who continually spend buckets of money on players, for no results. It's up to the clubs to stop the ridiculous amounts offered, if the champion plays elsewhere, so be it.
by Howard
Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

We might all need flippers his weekend!Bet some of the ovals are a mess
by jumbo20
Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Champ wrote:
Yellow & Black wrote:Are Lobethal the Port Power of the AFL....both appear to be no good in the wet?

Not sure but after a month of football someone was on here talking premierships... :oops:

Sounds like Port Power
by Look Good In Leather
Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Legs Man I wish you'd contribute a little more on this forum. Thought I'd logged onto the "How good are Echunga" page.

Regarding finals ovals - Lobey won't be hosting any this year. Oval in bad need of top dressing before cricket kicks off. I believe the HFL have selected Uraidla, Mt Barker, Hahndorf, Torrens Valley (at Mt Pleasant), Onkas and Echunga as candidates.

12 posts in 2 and a half years.... don't think you should be criticising others contributions pal
by Pinarello
Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Legs Man I was impressed with Echungas facilities, I doubt there would've been a better playing surface in the Hills last weekend, excluding Callington. The visitors rooms were comfortable, plenty of parking, lot's of food options (whilst it was available) and importantly, no shortage of stout and port. Spectator shelter looked limited if it were a bad day. One of the Echunga die hards mentioned the lights are good enough to hold cricket matches. Well done to you blokes, look forward to heading back next year.

Did you say you've already invested in new goal posts? A few of our players commented that they were quite short...

Also good to see old Vic out running water in his stubby shorts. What happened between him and Bridgy?
by Yellow & Black
Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: River Murray Football League talk

I had to look twice at the ladder to see if my eyes were correct Imps out of the 4 and Tailem off the bottom you would've got 500 to 1 on that if you got told at the start of the year!
by carey
Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Couldn't agree more Groovster.... There seems to be a few people on here who talk up Callington. Sure the oval is big, and dry.... but the facilities are just plain awful. As for the food, I can't comment never been "brave enough" to buy any food down there. The magpies sure are struggling this season, with what can only be described as a very young team. Must be a bitter pill for the "lads in lederhosen" to swallow, as the town prides itself on the performance of the footballers.

Thing is Pinarello, the oval wasnt dry. It was quite boggy (but not boggy like a blackwood, mt barker or heathfield) which was surprising. A bitter pill it is...the upside is with the 12-14 teenagers playing they are getting A Grade match experience which will bode well in the future. Missing experience. Finishing near the bottom hope that we get the first round picks in the draft !
by groovster
Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

interesting isnt it. We have 2 clubs in echunga and TV who spend the bucks and have half decent a grade sides yet crap junior programs. Will it be that when they play in a few weeks time that the winner of the a grade game will determine who gets relegated ? One would think TV would win the first 4 games that day so if they won the a grade game echunga would be staring relegation in the face. Clubs like Bridgy and Ironbank and Onkas will be fine even if they dont win many a grade games as they have developed their kids and get an even points spread in the MC shield. They dont deserve to get relegated as they will be strong clubs in the next year or 2 due to their good local content coming along. It will be a great last 5 weeks of the season.

I can only assume you're stirring the pot here. If there was one club in the HFL that meets the definition of spending big bucks on A grade with poor junior programs it would be Uraidla.

If you're not stirring the pot, the you might want to consider the words pot, kettle, black.
by Elmer J Thudpucker
Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I sometimes get stuck into the local debate also, as I mean it is probably an indicator of how strong your club is and also for a sense of pride but the more I've thought about it the more I think...
In reality this very often coincides with the size of the town your club is in.... very easy to play local talent when you have local TALENT.
I don't think we can have a go at the clubs, who clearly don't have the talent coming through and have to find other ways to improve their senior grades.
And the counter 'put money into the junior program' argument is a naive one. All clubs invest here, and money helps but only up to a certain level. You could invest major $$ into your juniors, but the reality is you are not going to get kids who live in towns with football teams to come to your club. Not saying clubs couldn't do more, but always a strong correlation between where you live and where you play footy.
by Mop Up
Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Mercenary

adjective

primarily concerned with making money at the expense of ethics.

How much longer does this have to go on for before players/members/supporters wake up and realise its all these mercenaries that are hurting our community clubs? Imagine the facilities we could all afford if we wernet so focused on A grade finals.

Most clubs barely have a weights shed, yet the majority of A graders I know have a $1k per year gym membership. Just one season of freezing 'petrol money' could easily cover the costs of building one.

Its time for everyone to stop attacking each other, and start openly discussing internally this insane situation of every dollar raised by the hard working volunteers of the community in sponsorships/gate/bar/canteen is just being poured down the drain for short term success.

Yes very valid point - any club with substandard facilities should play in Country div until they have spent on and brought their infrastructure up to the same standard as Echunga :lol:

Whilst there may be a few players out there that fit this bill, most of the blame lies solely with the clubs, and until they realise this, it will never change!

It is as simple as this, it doesnt matter what amount a player may ask for, he will only get that amount if the CLUB are WILLING to give it to him.

Players don't shop themsleves around like people suggest (apart from a few who realistically give everyone a bad name), more often than not, clubs just outbid each other without the player even asking for money.

"What did club A offer you? We will beat it by $100 a game" would happen 90% of the time in talks rather than the player saying "they offered me $700 so if you give me $800 Ill play with you"

And given its the clubs that do this can you balme players.... Throw the old addage of footy loyalty out the window (because if a player is on the move, they dont have a loyalty to the clubs they are talking to), if it was your job, doing the same thing for 2 differeing companies, company A offered you $50k a year and Company B offered you $60k a year, where would you go.

The reality is, clubs need to start creating an environment where blokes want to play with their mates, want to bring more mates into that environment and while they are being paid to play, it is not the $ figure that is luring them there. This is harder said than done I realise and the APPS soemtimes limits your recruiting, but it is still the best way to survive.
by RooShootOhh
Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Champ I love your style. You just proved you know nothing - IB has the smallest town in the hills comp by a mile. Nearest school is at Scott Creek and less than 60 kids. How many reside in M P and Echunga. I know to the dollar what Motlop and Jarman get and you are so far off the mark its laughable. I for one like many believe money is killing footy and the only way you can kind of police that is to put the player payments through the books - give them group certs and then say to clubs right you must play 18-19 local players out of 21 or 22 each week. - 3 imports only. They do this in a couple of leagues I have seen in Vic and it works quite well. FYI you will find that the ATO auditors are now starting to look harder at local clubs and guess who is going to be responsible for accounting practices and tax avoidance - cash payment- issues. You guessed it Committees and Presidents. As the economy tightens things will change all for the better hopefully.

Can't see this working. If every team only is allowed 3 imports then all of a sudden a club like Mt Barker which has 10,000 people in their township has a massive advantage over clubs like Echunga, TV, Ironbank and Uraidla. ATM this is the closest year of footy in A grade I have seen. Any team on any day can win, isn't that great for the game? Only a few years back Lobey and lofty played out a game with a 50 goal margin...now do we want to see this again? The standard is that good atm it makes every player around the comp work even harder to succeed, cant see that being anything but a positive for the Hills football comp. Clubs need to manage their finances and their points accordingly and it becomes a skill in itself. Obviously we don't want clubs spending more then they can afford but you can only assume the people on each clubs board would have the clubs best future interests at heart. And I'm sure every club out there is still working to improve their facilities as they all have area's that could be improved. Clubs like bridgy or onkas this year may not spend much coin but in years to come with their locals having some games under their belt they may wish to recruit 2 players that can help them bridge the gap to the top few. Like Lobethal have done and are starting to seem them get real close to a flag.
by cricketlad
Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

FYI you will find that the ATO auditors are now starting to look harder at local clubs and guess who is going to be responsible for accounting practices and tax avoidance - cash payment- issues

This is awesome. Those ATO audit men can man the gate, canteen, bar, BBQ and collect player subs to check all the cash coming in. The hard working volunteers all clubs have will finally get to watch the footy. About time we got something for our tax dollars.
by One Club Player
Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Champ wrote: everyone is on here speculating what everyone else is doing/paying. Why do you all bother - truth is because NO-ONE trully knows what each is paying

No one apart from you apparently............or are you actually Daniel Motlop?
by One Club Player
Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Echunga:

S/C above Lobey,TV,Uraidla.

J/C above Bridgey,TV

U13 above Uraidla.

It's not that bad is it?

Simply our B grade has been a disaster!

Unfortunately the relegation system weights the B-Grade and colts way too highly.

There are more points on offer in the other three grades combined than the A-Grade, which does not reflect the reality, but as a result has changed reality!
by Look Good In Leather
Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |