Search found 36 matches

Return

Re: Southern Football League

people are dying everyday, and you guys deem celebrations and happy times in peoples lives, as false and impure

next season could be your last and if you win the div 2 flag then you conquered every challenge put to you and my friends you deserve a massive week on the piss you also deserve season of memories to cherish for the rest of your life

if the whole of the SFL is as bitter as you two fellas then good times are far far away for anyone

football = recreation

recreation is a happiness that takes our minds away from the fact we're all dying

dont deny the greatness of achieving all that can be achieved, as you are belittling those who are already dead.

OK. You've either still been on a bender for way too long, or you have lost your namesake.
On one hand you say football is a recreation and on the other you talk about the ":greatness of achieving all that can be achieved". Which is it?
And yes, we are all dying, or you can look at it the opposite way is that I am living longer every day. No bitterness here, just reality.
by afc9798
Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New SAAFL President

Good luck to the President and Executive. From a distance looking at the SAAFL, the change of direction should help nail some of the poliutical issues of late, but also congrats to Gino who love or hate him, filled very big shoes. Never to be forgotten that the roles are volunteers and you only do these things if you have a passion.
by afc9798
Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Not sure of the accuracy of this, but did hear that Cranston was staying at the Roos for another year.

As for J.Eagleton, pretty sure he's still a Viking and is training as usual.
by afc9798
Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: JUNIOR FOOTBALL

vics01 wrote:SFL ANNOUNCEMENT

You're a knob Vics.This is a thread about junior football and it's a match worthy of discussion. If you don't think so don't bother commenting. Easy.
by afc9798
Thu May 22, 2014 11:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: FLAGSTAFF HILL FOOTBALL CLUB

Dutchy wrote:Great day, huge crowd, highlighted by Wade kicking a goal in the last quarter at the clubroom end!

Few photos here https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 499&type=1

Brilliant stuff. Looks like he had a great day. Well done FHFC on the celebration and congrats to Wade.
by afc9798
Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A Grade top 4 getting established with teams at 5, 6, & 7 still a bye to come. Nevertheless, next weekend HV v Bushpigs (at HV) will be a cracker!

Notice one S.McKenzie played B grade for HV today. Will he step up to A's next week .......... hope so.

Agree next weeks game will be very interesting and will be good to have 5 games of good footy in all grades
Brilliant to see Macka back in action

Yeah coz he's such a champion bloke right. I'd prefer him still on the other side of the fence

I'm sure just about every single person that knows him disagrees with you. I know you have a personal axe to grind, but the guy has served more than his suspension and is free to play regardless of your opinion. The number of blokes from Noarlunga who went out of their way to shake his hand at the B grade game on Saturday tells me there's plenty of respect for the guy.
by afc9798
Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

marbles wrote:anyone want a spot in the saafl div 3? div 4? div 5? i have the key....

I wish you'd use that key to put a padlock on your keyboard. :roll:
by afc9798
Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

At the weekend, 5 clubs were unable to field an U/14 team (1 third), 5 clubs were unable to field an U/15 team (1 third) and 3 clubs unable to field an U/18 team in their own right (1 fifth).

That is seriously broken.

So why keep pushing the issue to have 5 sides play on a Saturday. I think we should be grateful that most clubs are even fielding junior sides. Let's be honest it's not just the SFL that is broken I'd say majority of metropolitan football in SA is broken. Time the SFL & SAAFL got together and nutted something out.[/quote]

You don't trade in a Mercedes with a few scratches to get a KIA with a new paintjob.
by afc9798
Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

They would beat their U/18s

phhht no chance smithfield would make SFL finals

HA HA HA HA ... how did we get from the bottom SFL sides being competitive in Div 7 to the top side in Div 7 making SFL finals ?????? HA HA HA HA

It's just marbles having his quarterly crack at the SFL and promoting the enormous benefits of playing Div 7. I'm unaware if he just simply doesn't learn, or if he's on a commission from SAAFL. Either way, someone needs to bandage his fingers together and ban him from buying any speech recognition software.
by afc9798
Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I wonder if we would be having this conversation if the league didn't issue extra points to the shoes?

Reynella by 3 goals

Here we go again !
no where near some other clubs allocation but for the record 5 extra over our allocation which equates to 1 player .

Agree it shoul;d be a non issue. Hard to criticise Noarlunga who have recruited exceptionally well and then had a bit of luck getting some players come back and all within the rules. Entertaining to watch too. Hoping this game lives up to the hype and that conditions have settled by Saturday.
by afc9798
Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

In regards to the rule changes/modifications in the subbies and all the negativity surrounding it at the meeting, it appears a lot of people are stuck in the 1980s. Unfortunately the participation rates in soccer within Australia are huge and are going to continue growing in the near future. There are many reasons to why this is happening, too many to list here.

As a PE teacher I can give you guys a hands on perspective, especially in regards to what kids want out of sport. Personally, I do everything within my powers to promote our great game and I have to admit the SANFL provide excellent resources and initiatives (much better than the FFSA). The small sided games that are in the plans, have been developed through research and observation of other sports from around the world, we don't want to be left behind.

As most would know, a lot of children like to get everything they want and many parents give in to this. Not knowing how to win or lose (a valuable life skill) is fast becoming a trait observed in many children. Now to my main point, children like it or not, want to be engaged nearly 100% of the time and therefore want to touch the ball or be involved in the play as much as possible, with 18 a side games this is clearly not going to be the case. If children are not interested, they will quickly walk away and find another sport/activity that accommodates for this.

Today I have asked all my middle school classes who plays what, and why the sport appeals to them. The answers were pretty straight forward, they want to touch the ball as much as possible and have greater time near the main play. For the good of our great game, it is vital that we adapt to what a growing proportion of society deems as important and relevant in relation to providing exercise and leisure for children.

I can understand there are going to be negatives, such as more volunteers required (if more teams are rolled out). Will the league cap the number of teams per club is another question to find out. How each club responds to these different/extra needs will be vastly different, so will the outcome for each club.

Like it or not, these small sided games are the way of the future, they provide the game with an avenue in maintaining its relevance to modern day society.

As others have pointed out, how do you explain the fact that our sub junior numbers are growing, not shrinking? And one of the great things that good coaching teaches kids, is that it's not all about them. Pandering to them just makes it worse. The knowledge of the game and kids preparedness for footy at Under 14 when it becomes competitive will be a far bigger negative than the volunteer side, and this whole thing smacks of another nanny state invention. Call me stuck in the 80's if you want, I'd rather that than headed towards where this train is going.
by afc9798
Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well said.

Under this new system there is now going to be 11yo kids coming into the Under 12's who will have never played the game with 18 players on the field with full tackling, bumping and fend offs. Can see there being a huge drop off rate at that stage.

Most clubs are now talking about capping subbie numbers, as there simply isn't the volunteers and resources for multiple teams.

Completely agree with you and LGIL. This decision is a joke and will actually have one of either two impacts:

1. We will be producing footballers who go on to play Gaelic Football as the game they go to at the next level will be foreign to them.
or
2. They will simply leave the game as they are not prepared for a sport with physical contact and will not be used to thinking their way through this.

The beauty of football is that it is a contact sport and it is completely unique. By changing it in this manner, you are completely changing the fabric of the game itself. No one can convince me otherwise, but sadly I am not surprised at this direction.
by afc9798
Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

like ours it is original

Please tell me if otherwise, but I always thought they took that song from the Bushpigs?

Might need Dazza44 to confirm that!

The first time i heard this chant was in 1989 ..... ROOS u/18's came from 4 goals down against Valley to win in first game of season ... one off the lads had been to BALI and brought a t- shirt back with Bali ranger words on it ...words i can't write on hear ... the Roos C grade were about to come out the rooms when we sat back and listened .... funny as ..... that yr the Roos and Valley had some hugh games in that grade finishing with the Roos winning the flag over Valley by 2 points .... The Roos band the team from using the chant .... couple yrs later Happy Valley started using the chant with their words .... hey its different leave it be ..... Flaggies have had about 3 different songs in 25 yrs, they did use this chant as well i think....

Well MatteeG, the Bushpigs certainly had it before Happy Valley ... but it certainly wasn't original ! I thought we pinched it from a chant that the Venturer Scouts used to use. I would think we were using it for 7 or so years before 1993, and some of the original words were really not for public consumption .... and I recall the SFL also banned Flaggies from using the song during finals at some stages before the words were modified :)

The song went by the wayside when we changed from Bushpigs to Falcons in 1993. I must admit that it does always grate with me & others who fondly remember the Bushpig days when I hear them sing it ...

I always thought that Valleys pinched it from us, but from what B D H says, maybe they pinched it from Morphies U18s ! No idea when they started using it, but can't have been much before 1990 (if even that early) so not sure how much "Tradition" it really carries ... although I guess the only real success for HVFC has come after that.

Well the song lives on and we're happy to embrace it rather than be the 90th club to use the Tigers song around Australia. Interesting to hear the history of where it came from and just like you guys changed to the more pallatable 'Falcons' name and adopted the Norwood song, I guess tradition has to start somewhere. Been plenty of premierships celebrated with the song, so I guess that makes it all the more part of the fabric.
by afc9798
Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

marbles wrote:haha :) ok

i heard sfl to have 10 teams next year & will play each other twice over 18 rounds

I can quite confidently tell you that your sources are about as good as your ideas.
by afc9798
Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A grade coaching vacancies 2015

Is there problems within the playing group re coach or just a committee issue?

As with most clubs, after 4-5 years the playing group and the club will consider options. Dent has done a very good job for the club, producing a premiership and if not for a finals campaign ruined by injury last year, could have made the big dance again. Team is producing its best form now after being ordinary in the first half of the year, so any suggestion that they are not playing as a team and playing for the coach, seem to be off the money.

I have no idea what the club will do in regards to senior coaching roles, but I'm sure all options would be considered and I don't think that would be a surprise to Dent either. I think it's a healthy thing to look at the options. For all I know Dent may not want to coach next year...
by afc9798
Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014 SANFL Media Awards SAFooty.net wins!!!!

Big Phil wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Some of those awards are just ridiculous

Which ones?

Any award that has Michelangelo Rucci's name on it. Hasn't broken a story in years due to the fact he has become a troll.
by afc9798
Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

jet-airport wrote:
beer tent wrote:Emu's have broke tradition and spent big coin on a power forward :shock:

On this topic has anyone got an updated list or link to clearances, the SFL site hasn't been updated since the 5th of Feb...... :evil:

The maroons must have read your post. It was updated last night.
by afc9798
Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

JC's departure must have been a bit messy by the sounds of it. Or won't the senior players be keen on a guy who has only coached juniors, and do they fear that some of the ageing warriors who Keam has had playing in the B grade will still miss out on a game from someone with an eye to youth and looking to build towards the next crack at a flag rather than coach for damage control. There's not much value in only being competitive if you aren't getting A grade games into the young lads.

How water tight are coaching contracts at our level. Does Keam get paid out? Those Mini's parents better be geared up for selling plenty of raffle tickets!!!

I guess we could always implement the 'I'm too lazy to volunteer levy'. Which clubs have that?
by afc9798
Fri May 08, 2015 11:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Is a 200 metre walk to the clubrooms too difficult Moe and there is a shelter shed fairly close to the playing surface. Many of the Mini's kids at all clubs are playing primary school footy on a Saturday morning at schools that are no different or even worse as far as access to facilities and shelter. Using Brighton PS helps with the fixturing not just for Brighton but for visiting clubs so why can't people just be thankful.

And they actually get to play on an oval that is.....an oval.
by afc9798
Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wow, Flaggies pretty mouthy right now, any other previous comments you want to dig up at this time King?

Still 4 weeks to go

Hey LGIL, that's not mouthy, that's educating a no knowledge critic.

Now if you want mouthy, this is mouthy!!

Flaggies A grade TOP, Christies 6th.
Flaggies B grade 2nd, Christies 8th.
Flaggies 18s TOP, Christies 6th.
Flaggies 16s 3rd, Christies 5th
Flaggies 14s TOP, Christies 6th.

I deliberately put TOP instead of first because as you say, 4 weeks to go! Try and enjoy them!!

No follow up post King?
by afc9798
Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shane Lynch takes Mitchell Park to the premiership ..... may be A7 but this mob were getting pumped by 40 goals last year so fair effort to turn the club around in 12 months ......

Lynch got lucky.
Not sure he was the one that turned it around.
Well, I am sure, and he did.

Not without the help of many other people of course but you've been eating too much bird seed if you think Lynch didn't play an integral role in our success this year.

Congratulations to him. That article was a real hatchet job on him "Is this Australia's worst football coach?".
Just goes to show where the Aldinga issues were. Good on MItchell Park for taking a punt on him too.
by afc9798
Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Did someone pull the chain??

If you approve of cheating so be it.. you seem to be a very bitter old man.. I do not know what your issue is. To suggest that the edwardstown players are always blameless is a little silly, don't you think??

Haven't heard anybody throw accusations Valley's way.

Blind accusation with out any basis 1919 or do you have proof by way of date grade player?

Simply repeating what Zelezny Chucks suggested a few posts earlier. Maybe he can provide the finer details.

Did someone from Happy Valley steal your lunch money 1919? You seem to be obsessed. Maybe putting some of that energy towards having junior sides playing in the same comp would be a better use of time. There's a novel concept, meeting the requirements of the comp you play in.
by afc9798
Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

tigerpie wrote:It looks almost certain edwardstown are off to the ammos.
Cya!

Not sure there will be any tears shed.
by afc9798
Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: coaching scuttlebug 2016 SFL

Tiger83 wrote:Better not be Jars

I think you can safely assume that it's not!!
by afc9798
Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL restructuring Junior footy in Metro Area?

As per SFL has kept this quite!!
Be done with it and join the SAAFL.

LGIL , Let me get this correct, Sat in the SFL will only see A and B grade games or is it our Sunday comp teams?

This is a SANFL request? A competition that is struggling and comes up with this instead of restructuring the SANFL.
Again an opportunity for leadership!!!

This is a massive shit sandwich for the SFL clubs. Will completely change the most important part of the comp in my opinion, and that is having all the grades together at the same venue (mostly) on a Saturday. Will see a decrease in juniors watching seniors and vice versa. Only winner I see from this is the SANFL and a grab for power. I certainly hope that most clubs will aggressively defend our competition and the current structure. Cannot think of a single benefit to the clubs from this, with the exception of a few who do not field Saturday juniors.

Don't know enough about the proposal as yet, but from what I have seen here it does not look like there are any benefits to the clubs involved.
by afc9798
Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A few weeks old, but more good publicity for Smackham and the SFL
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/sanfl-introduces-new-laws-to-fight-local-footy-violence/story-fnii06m0-1227599323330

Vics, how many players do you currently have in the big house? Does this impact the start date for your pre-season training?

Edwardstown doing their best to trash the name of the league on their way out

Harsh!
Heard the kitchen at Hacham has been closed to make way for a Dept of Corrective Services office ? Is that right Vics ???

Are you allowed to play with electronic ankle bracelets on?
by afc9798
Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CH9AFL DIvision 4 2016

wonder_kid wrote:Well this is typing but its nice to know you can write good!

*it's
by afc9798
Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Vick is a bit of a surprise[/quote]

As far as I know, he's not an ex-Fly. It's not Vick. The only reason I won't reveal who it is yet is because he's yet to inform his old club. Stay posted, as this will happen in the next couple of days[/quote]

So here's the riddle then. If he's not an ex-Fly and he's a premiership player in the SFL and assuming he's not 40 years old, then he must be from Morphett Vale, Brighton, Happy Valley or Noarlunga. And the Vikings have been ruled out, so that only leaves Emus, Bombers or Shoes.[/quote]

Impressive powers of deduction[/quote] No. Took me 8 hours and a calculator.
by afc9798
Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just heard that SFL legend and Happy Valley head trainer for the last 3 decades Hank Middleton has retired because he is seriously unwell. Reckon every club in the league has a player Hank has helped at when big injuries happen

Top bloke will be greatly missed around the club - raising a (light) beer for you Hank
=D> =D> =D>

Hear, hear. Has been many people take potshots at him over the years due to him being pedantic about player safety. But for mine, hands down the most professional, caring and diligent bloke you could ever meet. Couldn't have had my boys in better hands than Hank and his team over the years. Hoping he recovers and that his legacy at the club is recognised. Always showed equal care for HVFC players and the opposition and was the first bloke there when something needed to be done. One of those blokes who would never sing his own praises, but I'm happy to. Cheers Hank, you are a legend.
by afc9798
Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HFL Division 1 (Central)

Keefy wrote:Winners

Blackwood by 119 pts
Mt Lofty by 6 pts
Echunga by 20 pts
Uraidla by 29 pts

See Port supporters, it's not just you....
by afc9798
Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

At the end of the day the SFL will be fine. 9 strong clubs that have all been mostly competitive this season fielding 4 teams on a Saturday. Should be a great comp. I worry a little for Aldinga but they appear to be on the right path.

One piece of history that should never be forgotten is that the Div 2 clubs never had a choice. The SFL forced us into one division and that decision alone has caused a lot of collateral damage along the way. Forced merger of O'Sullivan Beach and Lonsdale (DIV 2 A grade premiers), Hackham gone, Kangarilla, Morphettville, Brighton leaving. Edwardstown came and went. In 2001 we had very lopsided divisions (11 teams div 1 and 6 div 2) but with the pressure intensifying to relegate the club of prominent SFL board member's looming the cunning plan of forcing 1 division was hatched!! The SFL has somehow managed to lose 10 or 11 club's since the late 90's. So many opportunities along the way to right the wrong but it is too little too late now.

As a club we are certainly not blameless for the position we are in, we have made plenty of mistakes along the way and not always had the right people in the right places. Our A grade made finals 3 season's in a row 2005-2007 but a series of event's sent us on a downward spiral of which we have not recovered. 7 years at the bottom is a long time in football and too many loyal club people are beaten down both physically and mentally. The SFL is a strong competition that demands high standards - we have not delivered either on or off the field.

I know i speak on behalf of all member's when i say we never wanted the club we love to leave the SFL but we are now faced with the sad reality of 3 options:
-Die in div one next season
-play C grade comp (not an option)
-look for another league to rebuild the club.

A vote must still happen to ratify any move but the general consensus seemed to be strong toward leaving. As a club we want to not only survive but thrive so in reality there is only one choice. Time to move forward. Going to be a lot of new hurdle's to face but i look forward to the challenge. This will give many involved with the club a new lease of life. There are too many bloody good people involved at the club to not to give it a red hot crack!

What a great post. Good luck to OSBLFC which ever way things go and congrats on having the courage to look at the options and take action to save the club's future. Hopefully this inspires more 'bloody good people' to get involved and get things moving in the right direction.
by afc9798
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Clearances

Jimmy_041 wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Jacob Fisher clearance denied....just for something different

While on the subject?

He's nothing without Fishook

Not sure what you're angling at there

I believe the clearance has hit a snag.
by afc9798
Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

.[/quote]

Maybe he meant A Graders at HV? ;)

Be good to have HV back competitive again... Just not 'that' competitive would be nice :twisted:[/quote][/quote]

Not sure 4 players will completely change things, but certainly a step in the right direction toward being competitive again.
HV played some pretty good footy in patches this year, but would then follow with 15 minutes of rubbish. If the coach can get a better balance with the inclusions, then we should certainly be on the improve.
by afc9798
Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What benefit do South get out of having the GF apart from some extra bar takings post games? All food and beverage outlets are run by the clubs aren't they?

Not sure how the financial governance works between Jimmy Deane's and the SAFC proper, but JD's does dome pretty good trade of its own on SFL GF day regardless of the drink and food outlets run by the clubs.

But I agree with some other posts. Not saying its a good or bad thing but the SFL has largely returned to its traditional roots and this presents the league and clubs with an opportunity to look at changes to how GF Day is run and venue options.

I assume this year is a final 5 and a return to the pre-2002 format of 1 final on each of the Saturday and Sunday in the first 2 weeks, followed by Saturday Prelim and Saturday GF?

AFC9798 - One of the main reasons the minor grades presentation are held behind the clubrooms at SAFC is because a 5 game GF Day makes it time impossible to use the oval for presentations. Port Noarlunga was even worse with the use of the small grass area near the play equipment.

Yes, I realise why they do it, it just makes more sense to do it next to the grandstand or on the grass hill. A bit more dignified.
by afc9798
Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Great initiative by Christies to develop their I League Team. Great forward thinking and great community initiative. Well done to all involved.
For those not aware, here's a link. I hope this is the first of many.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bf-rRhIl23L/
by afc9798
Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I reckon they could have appointed Humphrey Bear and they'd still be around the mark.
Hurts me to say it, but you have to respect what they've done at Flaggies and the club is set up to be up the top despite the changes.
A strong playing group, good administration and a place where players want to be. All the ingredients required to continue their success.
by afc9798
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |