Search found 38 matches

Return

Re: SAAFL division 6 2014

Aleks Bojanic will coach BOSFC A grade in 2014.
Coached Mitcham in 2013 and previously involved with Echunga and as a player at Goody Saints and Strath according to the bio from our president.
5th coach at BOS since we started in 2006 and the 2nd to come from outside the club / school environment which I think is a real positive to bring new ideas and people into a young club.
Good luck to him, I hope he goes well.

Alex is a really good man, you could do worse.
by citycoaster17
Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Aleks Bojanic will coach BOSFC A grade in 2014.
Coached Mitcham in 2013 and previously involved with Echunga and as a player at Goody Saints and Strath according to the bio from our president.
5th coach at BOS since we started in 2006 and the 2nd to come from outside the club / school environment which I think is a real positive to bring new ideas and people into a young club.
Good luck to him, I hope he goes well.
by sprinttospace
Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 3 2014

Heard from reliable source that Drew Litster is going to Kilburn.
by retired60
Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Is this official yet?
Only three left from last year sounds dire. If it happens, the travel factor suits us too. Bloody Mitcham.
by laser
Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Golden Grove to Div 3?
by Jetters
Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SAAFL football has got out of hand in the last 10 years with cost of living on the rise and younger kids looking for easy cash and older players looking for extra cash in the final years of football we are left with what we currently have division 1 and 2 is now out of reach to clubs who struggle to make good income or generate $$$ sponsors ....... the cost of buying players to top up clubs has doubled 200 dollars could get you a gun player but these days that cost is about 400 dollars

Whilst I'm not naieve enough to believe that $$$ doesn't have a significant effect on the upper echelons on amateur football I disagree with the common belief that it is the main or sole reason for success. A quick survey of the current teams in Div 1 and Div 2 would show:

Adelaide Uni - Unique, are truly not like any other club.
SPOC - School runs a hugely participated in football program.
ROCS - School runs a hugely participated football program
Gaza - $$
Goodwood - Large, perennially successful juniors
TTG - Largest junior club in SA
Henley - Links with Henley High School and large junior program
Salisbury North - Large junior program
Port Districts - Large Junior Program
Portland - Large junior program
Broadview - Large Junior program
PHOS - Large Junior Program
Gepps Cross - Large Junior Program
SHOC - Perennially successful football school
Flinders Park - Large junior program
Walkerville - Large junior program
PACOC - School runs a hugely participated in and successful football program.
PNU - Second biggest junior program in SA
SMOSH - School is a perennially successful football school and the club has a junior program
Scotch - School runs a smaller football program.

It's fairly common knowledge that all the above clubs fork out money for football players. Some pay out more than others undoubtedly but all pay to an extent. However, the strength of these clubs is largely a steady influx of players coming as a result of their pre-existing ties with the club whether from School or junior football. Yes the cash helps, but the foot in the door these club's already have is of tremendous advantage. Take PNU's Premiership side. 16 of the 22 players were PNU juniors.
by jo172
Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Worst injury you've seen

ALSO

I got a corked arsehole one time.

a guy went for a spoil, kneed my in the anus hole

it hurt so much
by Johno6
Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 2 2014

Mitcham played finals when Cock was coaching...
by Hardy Hit
Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Whilst I hate to see any club go under, the idea of rewarding poor management of any club with a red letter day at the Adelaide Oval is counterintuitive. If we want to promote amateur league "grass roots footy" as a legitimate part of the Aussie Rules landscape then the showcasing should be of the teams/clubs who are doing it right, ie building a club, a culture and a philosophy, not just squandering cash chasing premiership cups.
I agree with the notion of under 18's as curtain raisers or similar, but really, The Aldinga Sharks vs Kilburn? It just makes a mockery. It's a bit like the freakshow concept, it might make people want to have a look but does it do anything to reduce stigma? - nope. It's just sending a message that the SAAFL is just for the old, or incompetent. Not a message I would've thought we'd want to send.
by BigB
Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Dark Knight wrote:Kilburn made this weeks Sportsbeat quiz.

Well I think that's pretty bloody rude
by Phantom Gossiper
Fri May 09, 2014 10:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Jim05 wrote:I see Angus Clarke has quit Norwood and been cleared to Unley

nah. one off
by Jetters
Mon May 19, 2014 12:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Junior Football

Opposition coach asked for a headcount yesterday.

In Under 6's.
by gadj1976
Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

BOS have absolutely smashed rosewater all day. Games been over since 2nd quarter. Score atm 19-7 to 7-12

Must be tough task masters at your club mighty hounds, I thought No 14 Richardson was outstanding and couldn't get in the best players. :D

Dj was the best but who cares. When you win by 14 goals or so there are no best players!
BOS premiers, big ground, small ground whatever like I said l, great club, great players, great people !

Yes clearly the best TEAM won, they work so hard for each other, well done.

I might add a well done also the Mitcham footy club and all their hard workers for making sure the day was professionally handled for all the spectators. =D> =D>
by Yank Man
Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Biggest Finals Upsets

Clg won as many finals this year as Mitchell park games. I know where I would rather be
by scottroo
Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL division 5 2014

Could be worse. Div 3 didn't even get printed unless I just missed it
by beef
Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 2 2014

A story that got missed in the drunken haze of the last 5 days was (and I hate pissing in this bloke's pocket) Grae Grant's return from a brain tumour that was meant to see him miss the whole season, to be allowed to play, then to cap it off with BOG in a Grand Final and 2 last quarter goals.

Hollywood stuff
by jo172
Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: APPS New recruiting rules - Your thoughts?

How does the points system work in the SAAFL for clubs that do not have junior grades or feeder schools?
What are clubs like Adelaide University, Central United, Flinders University, Greenacres, Houghton Districts, Mawson Lakes, North Pines, Smithfield & Wingfield Royals going to be able to do as their current groups retire off?
The clubs with juniors and the old scholars bloc are pretty obvious, but what rules are in place for the University clubs. Do the other clubs with no juniors have to rely on a minimum of recruits and then newbies?

I dont think many teams have huge chunks of players retiring or leaving at the end of every year. If you bring in 4 to 5 new players from elsewhere every year, you'll be fine. The chances of all of them coming from the same club are pretty slim.

15 points = 5 x 3 point players in Year 1, following season those are still worth 10 points before you start. Effectively could only bring in 1 or 2 each year there after.

Lose a couple of zero pointers for whatever reason and things would be awkward, unless you play your recruits in the B-Grade for a few years to get their points down.

Those clubs could always decide to contribute to football?
by Jetters
Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Junior Football

I like that we're going to have some kids who will lose their virginity before ever playing in a competitive football game
by jo172
Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 3 - 2015

What ever happened to the principle of seeking a flag and getting promotion? If you're in the comp you're in it to win it, surely? If you make the GF you should go up. If you can't go up because you don't have numbers or the cash (the latter would suggest you might be trading insolvent), should you have any choice other than to fold for the season, get yer act together, and start off again at Div 7. That's incentive enough to either make it work or make a tough call.
IMO (and I am not arrogant enough to think this is the only way to look at it) spend the money on developing a culture and a feeder source. Juniors, or linking with local schools to develope a good relationship, or both, is where the focus should be, not throwing money at flags and blowing your reputation. Yes, it is inevitable that some inducements need to be made, especially as you climb into higher grades, but within your means and with eyes on next year and beyond. Premierships are only worth winning if they build your club history and culture, not if they send you broke.
by BigB
Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

please, I got this! ;)
by Hardy Hit
Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 4 - 2015

It's not just the playing side of things, clubs should organically grow to that level so that every aspect of the club is building not just a playing list of 21 blokes.

The team that finished 3rd last year could handle it but looks like Eastern Park have lost a few players so I understand their reasons.

I can tell you our reasons. We've had three seasons in Div 3 of seven wins, five wins, and last year two against Kilburn, which in any other Div 3 season would've been a winless season. We have 0 clearances in so far, so the improvements needed to go from 0 genuine Division 3 wins to the 5-6 needed to stave off relegation aren't quite visible at the minute. We played in a GF in 2011, went up and had a crack, have dropped off each year as guys have retired/left, and are now back at a Division 4 level, which is our rightful level as it stands. Guys who played through all three of these losing seaons (myself included) are excited about the prospect of being more competitive this year and spirits are higher. As horrible as it is, our bar takings across the three years in Div 3 dropped each year as the wins dropped off. That's reality. We need to be in a competition where we can be competitive so we can survive on-and-off field. We also had a crack at this opportunity nearly 10 years ago when Edwardstown left, it didn't work, we won one game and were relegated.

We are not risking a sustainable on and off-field future for our footy club because another club couldn't sort their own out.
by Pag
Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I completely agree with you!

It has made it more difficult for clubs who do not develop football at junior level to compete with those who do. I think that's a great result.

I think the league probably has a few too many clubs, as you've suggested they have a number of clubs who take the cherry off the top of other clubs without developing football at junior level. Do we need many of these clubs? The league might level out at 6 division which I think would be about right.

I think the NEJFA rules are BS and anti-competitive that they allow big clubs to have so many junior teams per grade, not allowing some smaller clubs to contribute to junior football and building their club.

It hasn't stopped the everyday bloke having a kick, its just made it harder for the gun (or as we all know, maybe just reasonable player) jumping around.

The APPS isn't perfect, for example if everyone wanted to leave SW for instance, stay as a group, and go play around the corner, that is a legit issue.
by Jetters
Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Drew Litster off to Mitcham. Good get by the Hawks.
by Footy Chick
Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Key Defender/Forward required.

SAAFL club less then 6km from the CBD require the services of a Key defender or Key forward to add to our already strong squad.

Club has played finals the last 2 years and looking to take the next step in 2015.

Please PM me for further details

$ Negotiable.

Hmmm which souless club is this???

It wouldn't be anyone in the top 3 divs, this is pretty amateurish way to recruit.

No city team played finals in div 4 did they?

Wouldn't be anyone in div 7.

Leaves CLG, CBC, BOS, Westminster. CBC got relegated the other year.

Which club spends the most $$ on nuffy footballers?

Ill put $1 on CLG
by Jetters
Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: u18's

Does anybody no what day there club have nominated there u18's for Sat or Sun, just interested to see what clubs think is a better day for the 18's. I would have thought most clubs play some u18's in the seniors on Sat then play some games on a Sun at u18's level.

Sundays. Far more convenient for us.

FWIW the new eligibility rules:

12. UNDER 18 DIVISIONS
12.2. Under 18 team(s) shall be restricted to include only players whom are under 19 years of age prior to the first (1st) day of July in the year in which they are applying to play in The League.
12.3. Should a player who turns 18 years of age prior to the first (1st) day of January in the year which they are playing and play senior football at any level in the current year they are disqualified from playing Under 18 football for the remainder of that season.

So anyone who turned 18 in 2014 and plays senior football this year will no longer be eligible for under 18s (not unreasonable, but may put some sides under numbers stress).

If these rules were in placed last year, that would of ruled out half of our premiership winning side.

You won an Under 18 flag with half an Under 19 side. That shouldn't have been allowed to happen anyway. Not saying it was your fault, you were working within the rules set, but it shouldn't have been able to occur in the first place.
by Pag
Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 5 - 2015

Great hit out with Peake yesterday at Mortlock played in good spirits on a friggen hot day. Both sides missing a few and we had a few go over and play for them late but some good signs for both clubs. Rigney has still got it and their ruckman is a massive unit, they had some quality mids also and some of their younger kids looked OK. We were just happy to get through the game without injuries and look forward to our Mitcham trial this week.
by BFG
Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Probs here a couple of pages back.

I'll have a crack

1 Kenilworth
2 North Haven
3 Hope Valley
4 Kilburn
5 Pooraka

6 Westminster
7 Eastern Park
8 Glenunga
9 Salisbury
10 Hectorville

Kenilworth will be hard to beat this year. a lot of in and a new coach.If they can use their big ground to their advantage they will run teams off their feet.
Top 5 are very strong teams this year, with Westminster being a big danger throughout the year.

Eastern Park will struggle this year, depth and fitness is a big concern there i would say
by Lightning McQueen
Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

oh.

They mars well join Salisbury on the poo heap then, based on that one trial. :roll:
by Footy Chick
Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Another shout out to an upcoming 300 gamer. The much maligned Trent 'Weasel' Kolbig from North Haven, will be playing his 300th in Round 3 against Salisbury. Credit to a bloke who started playing footy for the Haviary as an U/9 junior, and has managed to be a regular in the A Grade side for the past 15+ years. He has experienced the lows of relegation, and the highs of promotion, but still yearns to get his hands on the 'Holy Grail'. Hopefully the boys can get him a win and have a cutla bevvies post-game ;-) #havens
by Magpies Nest
Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 6 - 2015

I've been on both sides, having to 'retire a coach' and getting sacked. It's never easy and frankly getting sacked made me a better coach. It taught me to work harder, get credentials and listen to the natives. I still have massive respect for the club that sacked me because they showed enormous character and did it to my face. I still pick up the Mail every Sunday and see how they are going. That was 10 years ago.

So credit to them, I've coached 2 premierships and been involved with 2 others since then. Thank you.

So how did the club go after they sacked you?

They didn't win another game but they have since worked very hard and become strong again. Good on them, frankly when I calmed down and reflected on it they made the right decision as I was clearly the wrong person in the wrong place.
by Yank Man
Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Flinders Park on the hunt for a new A grade coach as of this evening is what I'm hearing..

*edit* - Dave Kennewell to coach moving forward..
by The Bedge
Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: is your club losing revenue

previously you could just stay out and run amok until the first train but now that is less inticing with the lock outs.

Nasty, nasty memories.
I remember living in Evanston Gardens, getting the first train home - the walk home from the train station was absolute torture :lol:

I remember after the Kenilworth Ball I did an all nighter once and got the first Noarlunga train home Sunday morning. Bought a coke and a Sunday Mail for the trip so I didn't fall asleep. Woke up hungover as a pig as the train was pulling back in to the city. Slept ******* 2 hours in a suit and was still 2 hours from my front door. I have done some dumb shit when pissed and chewed my arm off when I had to, however I have never hated myself more than that morning....
by LaughingKookaburra
Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CH9AFL Division 5, 2016

Smithfield milestone game this week, Paul van Dongen 'Donga' has played 450 games for Smithfield. A true club legend and gentleman of the game, well done mate.
by Dangeroos
Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CH9AFL Divison 3 2016

Saw I was in D3 and naturally assumed that was Mitcham.

Far out.
by jo172
Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 4 - 2018

Just a few of the senior players struggling with their bodies and not sure if they can go another year and a few of their young talent looking at sanfl or higher levels

Couldn’t be any further from the truth...Mitcham’s young brigade are a very close bunch of blokes and have all committed to season 2018.
As for the older blokes, the big Clydesdale is ready to go after a big bicep reconstruction, he has never looked any fitter. Mitcham also close on locking down a couple of guns who took the year off from footy.
by Hardy har har
Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Another massive week of games in what should be a very even div 4 comp this year. The big shocks last week were EP's bigger than expected win and also Gepps giving Mitcham a touch up. It makes for a very interesting R2 this week.

Edwardstown v CLG

This should be an absolute cracker. Towns got off to a solid start over what will be a finals contender in Glenunga and CLG had a good win at home over the demoted SMOSH. CLG finished far stronger than SMOSH last saturday and will need every bit of that fitness on the larger expanses a Edwardstown. I'm tipping my boys to get the choccies in a super tight one.

Pooraka v Glenunga

Two teams coming off round 1 losses to sides predicted by many to make finals. The key will obviously be stopping Mercer and I think Glenunga have the cattle through the middle to cut off the supply. Glenunga by under 4 goals.

Salisbury v Kilburn

Salibury will be very keen for Saturday to try to make amends for their R1 pasting at the hands of Kilburn. I think this game will be closer but Kilburn might be a bit too talented across the park. Think they'll get the job done by 7 goals.

SMOSH v Gepps

Was very impressed by SMOSH on the weekend and they probably just ran out of legs in the last 15-20 minutes. They're a youngish side and I reckon they will surprise a few good sides this year. They will need to stop the scoring power of Gepps though who would be ecstatic with their round one win over Mitcham. Think the rams will be too strong here and win by around 20 points.

Mitcham v Eastern Park

I had thought pre season that Mitcham would just about be a shoe in for finals which means either I was way off or Gepps are way better than I thought they would be. We should get an answer this weekend when Mitcham play EP in what I think could be the big blow out win. Eastern Park couldn't have been happier with their R1 and I suspect they'll continue that form and give Mitcham a bit of a hiding.
by BFG
Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

#bleedredandblue wrote:Obviously there’s a chance of us being relegated, but it’s a very slim one I tell you right now :)

oh dear... :oops:
by mighty hounds
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |