Search found 2 matches

Return

The beginning and formative years of SA football

THE BEGINNINGS AND FORMATIVE YEARS OF SOUTH AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL 1836 to 1876

I have been inspired by Mark Pennings’ 2012 work Origins of Australian Football: Victoria’s Early History to revise and update my research, which documents the development of football in South Australia from 1836 through to 1876.

The result is a series of books in paperback or electronic formats that cover a previously unpublished era of South Australian football, which I have labelled the beginning and formative years. This vital period for football, was the time the game sprang to life, developed, as clubs formed and established the basis for South Australian football of the future. This new series provides a clear description of the people, events and circumstances that were part of the beginnings and formation of football in South Australia. To my knowledge this has not been previously attempted.

During the years 1836 to 1876, football gained the momentum that placed it in the position to launch into the 1877 to 1906 foundation era, when the establishment of the South Australian Football Association (SAFA) governed and oversaw the organisation of a recognised and highly popular game in the colony, right through to the early years of the twentieth century.

The development of the game in South Australia was unique because of its geographic isolation, although its connections from its immigrants’ football background and football activity in its colonial neighbour Victoria, both contributed to its characteristics.
- See more at: http://australianfootball.com/articles/view/The%2Bearly%2Byears%2Bof%2BSouth%2BAustralian%2Bfootball/1093#sthash.WNfpwpmi.dpuf
by oldtimer2
Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

100th Anniversary of South Australian Patriotic Football

It is 100 years since the 1916 Patriotic season of senior football in South Australia was played. My latest research covers what has remained a largely ignored and undocumented part of South Australian football history. This is probably due to the fact that it was not recognised by the South Australian Football League (SAFL). The league, having made the decision in January 1916 to cancel football, was opposed to the operation of the new administering body. The Patriotic Football Association had taken over as the administering body to organise matches during this time.

Read more at:

https://southaustralianfootballhistory.wordpress.com/2016/04/09/the-1916-south-australian-patriotic-football-association-season/
by oldtimer2
Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |