Search found 611 matches

Return

Re: Round 19, predictions, live scores, shit canning & resul

Cats will win this week but no certainty for top 4.
Doesnt matter.
We will be like the Dogs last year and use the bye to assist our Premiership glory
If we win this week we will make the top 4. I think we will get pumped though. I hope you are correct though. I reckon a few Crows supporters wouldn't be that keen playing Geelong in the first week of finals.
by Bum Crack
Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL 360 - (and other Foxtel footy programs)

MW wrote:Thought it was still shit. Bec, Foss and Hughesy to go and get some decent football regulars just out of the game

I'd love to see the Front Bar have an episode when they see how many pints they can down during the episode. There would be some funny shit on there with Mick and Sam half cut.
by Bum Crack
Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2017 AFL Season

Hawks not without a chance of making the 8, only need one upset really, Essendon losing a game the biggest hurdle all the rest just needing the highest placed team to win the games. If we were to make it, Sydney the likely opponent, 6 other clubs would be pretty happy if we did and continued our dominance over them, especially in Sydney.

Equation
Hawks win both (Carlton and Bulldogs}
West Coast lose 2, GWS A, Crows H
Bulldogs lose 2, Port in Ballarat, us
Essendon lose 1, either Suns @ Metricon or Freo H
St Kilda lose 1, either Roos H or Richmond A
Lol

Good contribution Flog
Lol
by Bum Crack
Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2017 AFL Season

bennymacca wrote:would love to see those stats compiled

for instance i know that the crows memberships are significantly more expensive than port, and im sure that it varies quite a lot across the league

I know someone who could do up a graph for you :lol:
by Bum Crack
Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Riverland Football Chatter

Well done to Browns well going back to back in the independants today. Were cleaner with the ball under pressure and were comfortable winners over a lacklustre fumbly paringa side that never really got going.

Colts was an upset with Wunkar knocking over heavy favourites paringa who were undefeated all year i believe. Great shootout with several lead changes throughout the day but some how the wunkar boys who were half the size on average of their opponents just won more of the contested footy when it mattered most.

Great game to watch but begs the question what does the future hold for the colts in independants? If only half the teams are fielding a side what did these kids do every second week this year? If its not sustainable is it time to scrap independant juniors and just carry on with a senior competition? I know the millewa football league near mildura has been doing this for years and are going along surviving ok for now albeit i think they now only have 6 teams now..
Went over today to watch the daughters fella play and watched the young fellas play beforehand. Bloody loved the atmosphere and emotion of both teams. I've been of the view for a while that the independents need to merge with RFL but after last few weeks of watching the games, i hope they keep their own identity in the independents. The closeness of community is like nothing else in independents. Was great to see it and as an ex cobby boy i hope they stick around because they all need to be around to keep the league up and running.
by Bum Crack
Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL 360 - (and other Foxtel footy programs)

woodublieve12 wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:They're saying on SEN this morning that Dusty will announce on the Footy Show that he's staying at Richmond and contract will be signed on Footy Show. What a load of wank.

Who is this bloke, Lebron James?

Be bloody funny is he signs Thursday night on TV and they get ripped a new one Friday
by Bum Crack
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2017 All Australian

Crows dominate the AA squad
Crows - EBetts, MCrouch, SJacobs, RLaird, JLever, TLynch, RSloane, TWalker.
Lions - DZorko.
Blues - SDocherty, MKreuzer.
Pies – JHowe, ATreloar.
Bombers – JDaniher, MHurley, ZMerrett.
Cats – PDangerfield, JSelwood.
GWS – TGreene, JKelly, TScully, DShiel.
Hawks – TMitchell.
Demons – JGarlett, MHibberd, NJetta.
Kangas – BBrown.
Power – RGray, TJonas, PRyder.
Tigers – DMartin, ARance.
Saints – DRoberton, SRoss.
Swans – LFranklin, JKennedy.
Eagles – JKennedy, JMcGovern, EYeo.
Dogs – MBontempelli.

Betts Kennedy Daniher
Zorko Franklin Gray
Kelly Mitchell Martin
Laird Hurley Hibberd
Yeo Rance McGovern

R : Ryder Dangerfield Selwood

Int - M Crouch, Scully, JP Kennedy, Docherty
Was this your predicted team Booney? Interesting you have Selwood in the starting team and Kennedy on the bench yet you find it truly baffling that Selwood got in before Kennedy?
by Bum Crack
Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port Adelaide 2017

Everyone was beating Sydney in the first few rounds. WCE were outside the eight when you beat them.
Not an overly interesting explanation sorry.

Oh, so it's a great stat but it's got caveats? I understand. :roll:
Na you still failed to beat a team in the 8 at the time of playing them so no matter how you want to interpret it, you've been useless against the good teams.

Sydney in round 1 when nobody is in the 8 but ended up in there at seasons end, West Coast when they weren't in the 8 at the time but ended up in the 8 at seasons end. Caveats*.
Apology accepted.
by Bum Crack
Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port Adelaide 2017

The Bedge wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:Correct. To win finals, you need to beat teams in the Top 8 correct? If you don't beat teams in the Top 8, you're not that good. I don't see what's so hard to understand.

I'm out, you've confused the hell out of me now :lol:

Bloody Port supporters. ;)
by Bum Crack
Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: RUOK? Day

MW wrote:RUOK?

Nope. I'm hungover as ****. On my 5th cyclone and just smashed down a parmi. Hopefully I'll be better soon. Got a few clients in this arvo
by Bum Crack
Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Finals week 2

woodublieve12 wrote:I promise this isn't ploy to talk us down, but I genuinely baffled how many people are writing the cats off.. Zero chance they'll roll over tonight. I hope they do but they won't.

Yeah righto MT
by Bum Crack
Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Crows 2017

Taylor will play back. Stanley and Hawkins to play forward along with Cockatoo to slot back in forward line. Cockatoo is the man we have missed.

Massive risk the Cock. He's done his hammy three times this year. That's why he's called the Cock, goes in and out and sometimes goes out before the job is done. It would be tempting to rest him up and get him right over the summer. We need a Career out of the bloke not just a final out of him. Stanley comes out for Lonners surely and that would be it. Parsons lucky and Stanley unlucky.

regards,

REB
My mail is Stanley was told early this week that he's in and if Cockatoo comes back in, Parsons will make way for him.
by Bum Crack
Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Finals Week 3

Well done to the Crows. Far better team on the night. Brisbane will be licking their lips after Charlies performance last night. Crows will get a first rounder for him for sure. Not being salty, but **** there are some terrible supporters out there. I know every team has them but Crows are by far the worst. I even got abused last night after i clapped a goal because i was in the members area and i had no right to be there apparently lol. I just wanted to throat chop the three blokes in front of me. Once again though well done Crows. Far too good
by Bum Crack
Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Finals Week 3

Well done to the Crows. Far better team on the night. Brisbane will be licking their lips after Charlies performance last night. Crows will get a first rounder for him for sure. Not being salty, but **** there are some terrible supporters out there. I know every team has them but Crows are by far the worst. I even got abused last night after i clapped a goal because i was in the members area and i had no right to be there apparently lol. I just wanted to throat chop the three blokes in front of me. Once again though well done Crows. Far too good

Not defending the idiots all supporter bases have, but last night was one of the most passionate crowds I've ever witnessed. Sure some step over the line but that's going to happen in such an emotionally charged game.

One more to go...
I understand passionate but this wasn't passionate. It was just a heap of **** carrying on like wankers. Maybe it's just me. I'm a passionate supporter but i don't abuse opposition or their supporters. Never have and never will. Don't worry, there's been lots of opportunties when i could have being a Cats supoorter watching them hand out some floggings over the years. I don't see the need. I guess everyone's different though. I just tend to see it moreso at crows games than any other.
by Bum Crack
Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How did you stumble across safooty.net?

Silicon Skyline got me onto it.
by Bum Crack
Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2017 Off-Season

It's like a feeding frenzy on the crows in here!

The crows losing the GF seems to be better than you're own team winning for some.

We must be doing something right to create so much reaction from other supporters!

Trust me, my team winning IS the best thing in football and nothing is better than that , think of me any other way and you're wrong, completely wrong.

When that isn't going to eventuate I then default to my dislike of Geelong, North, Adelaide, Sydney and the rest. That's my order.
How come you hate Geelong so much Booney?
by Bum Crack
Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: General tv discussion thread - good, bad, axings etc etc

Anyone been watching "The Deuce" on Fox or HBO? I find NY at that point in time interesting, and the seedier part of life always holds my interest. James Franco and Maggie Gyllenhaal are always great and this is no exception. Needs to get a wriggle on with the storyline though I think.
I rate this show very much. It's a cracker
by Bum Crack
Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Crows 2017

I can tell u fine folk now R Sloane has asked the question to the Adelaide board if there is a chance he could be traded, and yes it is all to do with his misses job.

If Rory Sloane leaves Adelaide will be.....

https://media.tenor.com/images/53daa23a726fe6fc52934216b151d5ba/tenor.gif
If Sloane goes I may need to take bereavement leave. #prayforonsong
First Patrick, now maybe Rory?? You'll be in all sorts.
by Bum Crack
Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: South Australian football leagues, who rates best?

Dogwatcher wrote:I always felt Riverland footy was Div 3 to high Div 4 standard.
Independent footy is about C3 these days, I suspect.

Yet Waikerie would match it with any of the top teams in country footy IMO
by Bum Crack
Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Soooooo, how's this weather?

Is pollen regarded as a weather condition?
Just wondering if this is the right thread... I have not had hay fever, like I had today, since about 1990 I reckon. Felt like a knife stabbing into space just to the left of my nose for most of the day, followed by a snot drips, or sneezing and a pulsating headache!!! Thank **** for the rain when it came.

Saturday and Sunday both shite. Nasal spray + tablets = just working.
I got my first bout for the year on Saturday night and yesterday was shit too. Just went and bought some Nasonex. Does that stuff go ok? Always had tablets but this is the worst I've had it in a long time. I'm itchy as **** too. feel like I've got a head full of knits and I just want to punch myself in the face.
I’m willing to drive to the Riverland to help out with the last bit...
Don't get your ambitions mixed up with your capabilities there ol son ;)
by Bum Crack
Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SuperFrank wrote:All RFL coaches are locked in with no changes from last season.

Couple changes in the independent's so far:
Lyrup - Anthony Lippis
Paringa - Tom Wood

Will there be any more changes in independent's?

Yep
by Bum Crack
Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: International Rules Series

Boring as bat shit.
by Bum Crack
Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you are looking forward to

Looking forward to golf and grog all day tomorrow with mates from Waikerie but it will be pissing down all day by the looks so we'll just get on the gas and punt instead.
by Bum Crack
Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2018 AFL Season

Magellan wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Mark "Bomber" Thompson has had his house raided by Victoria Police due to a "wide ranging investigation".

Victoria Police would not confirm what they were searching for.

Perhaps it's something to do with his nickname?

Is his nickname Charlie?
by Bum Crack
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: FISHING

Went to Port Neill a couple of weeks ago for a week. Weather was great and only had one day we couldn't go out for the whole week. Bagged out on whiting each day and got plenty of abalone to bring home. First day there we bagged out in 20 minutes. Great fishing. I love that place. Want to live there,
by Bum Crack
Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Statistics

Beat me to it MW, surely 08 sits at the top, $1.20 fav lost one game all year
A very enjoyable day 2008. Absolutely stole that one, still makes my giggle.
The one I still haven't got over was the final at Footy Park in 97 when Leigh Colbert was denied one of the most courageous marks you'll see which ultimately prevented us from winning the GF. It still makes me sick when I think about it.
by Bum Crack
Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Tour of South Africa

Not sure if the first session will be available to listen to on the net as the Footy is on and they are broadcasting on a “sister station “ called Classic Rock

I cannot find a link for that

White Line Wireless will be doing the full commentary. I listened to them when we played India last year as I was also overseas at the time. It's a bit different to traditional coverage but that is not necessarily a bad thing either.
If you know someone with Foxtel, just download the Foxtel App and you should be able to log in under their account and watch it live. Doesn't cost them any extra
by Bum Crack
Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

The Footy Show. 5 mins in and switched off. Absolute crap STILL
by Bum Crack
Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Bands coming to Adelaide

Magellan wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:
Booney wrote:4 beers for the trip down, 2 CC and Dry for the ride home.

Couple of doobies as well?

Nah, just Listen To The Music.

Only a fool will believe that
by Bum Crack
Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Daily Golf - Where you are playing and how you go

39 points yesterday. Down to 11 handicap now. Would love to get to single figures but can't see it happening. I'm bound to lose the plot soon and blow out to a 15 or 16 as per usual. Been playing the worst golf the last year and basically gave up due to frustration and played the last 4 weeks and found some form and my last three rounds have been 40, 36 and 39 points and dropped a couple handicap points.
by Bum Crack
Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Favourite players from rival sides

Booney wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:Can't believe nobody has named J Selwood and Danger. Unbelievable.

Tisn't. ;)

I was waiting for a few more bites but got beans :lol:
by Bum Crack
Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Round 1 - 2018 - A 4 week build up.

MW wrote:Is Josh Caddy becoming very unlikeable or is it just me?
Acted like a tool last night

Yeah as soon as he left Geelong I thought he was a dead set flog ;)
by Bum Crack
Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Tour of South Africa

Ashley Mallett :shock:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/rendezview/these-socalled-leaders-need-to-be-banned-for-life/news-story/3ef3a3a927681df585eb6442bb6f5a7b

IN the wake of this disgraceful episode of ball tampering by the so-called Australian Cricket Team’s “leadership group,” Cricket Australia has no option but to ban Steve Smith and David Warner for life.

And if coach Darren Lehmann and others such as Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazelwood and Nathan Lyon are found to be complicit in the conspiracy they too should go — for ever.

Lehmann’s tenure is on a knife edge anyway, but if he’s part of the Cape Town plot, his statue at Adelaide Oval should be torn down, among other sanctions. As a Test player who played in an era of hard but fair cricket in the 1970s and 1980s, we loved the game and its traditions.

To even contemplate cheating was foreign to our psyche and tantamount to becoming a traitor to this nation.

Messrs Smith, Warner and Company should realise that today’s Test players are custodians of the game: a game which throughout Test match history in this nation has adhered to the great values of cricket.

As the events unfold we are learning of the bullying by Australian players and their arrogant, dismissive attitude towards the traditions of the game.

Today’s players should be mindful of their responsibility to leave the game in a better state than they found it. It is a time honoured, yet unwritten law.

Back in the latter stages of the 19th Century Lord Hawke, a colossus in world cricket, who played for Cambridge University, Yorkshire and England, then a leading administrator for 40 years, was the stalwart of all things good in this magnificent game, wrote:

“Cricket is a moral lesson in itself, and the classroom is God’s air and sunshine. Foster it, my brothers, protect it from anything that will sully it, so that it will be in favour with all men.”

Hawke’s beautiful words tell us all that is wonderful about cricket: that is cricket when is played hard, but fair and in the spirit of the game.

What have we witnessed of late? All that is grubby and deceitful about a group of would be cricketing thugs who intimidate their opponents like schoolyard bullies.

It worked perfectly for them against the inept, weak England team during the Ashes summer, but this time they were up against a tough South African unit who refused to cower from the bully that is the Australian cricket team.

The so-called “leadership group” were gutless to the very core the way they encouraged the eager, naive Cameron Bancroft to do their dirty work. Un-Australian stuff which paints a very unpalatable picture of this Australian cricket team and its bunch of bullies.

With Smith and Warner likely to be sidelined for some time, maybe forever, who can lead the Australian Test team?

David Warner and coach Darren Lehmann during happier times at Sydney Cricket Ground ahead of the 5th Ashes test match. Picture: Brett Costello
Former Test batsman and chairman of selectors John Inverarity said today: “I hope this awful incident is not seen as a ‘one off’. It happened within a culture which is seriously substandard.”

Inverarity advocates George Bailey to take over as Australian captain.

“Various unacceptable values, attitudes and behaviours have seen the Australian team hurtling down a track that has resulted in this trainwreck.”

“This Australian team needs a decent, honest and hardworking person to lead it.

“George Bailey should be given the job for the next 18 months.”

First CA should sack the culprits of this fiasco for life.

Recently I’ve heard how this ball tampering has been going on with all countries for yonks. When decent people ignore wrongdoing, that is when bad things happen in this life. The players banned should also be ordered to hand back their Baggy Green caps for they have soiled the very fabric of the game.

I agree. **** em. Ban them for life. Whilst they are still playing for Australia, I won't be following cricket.
by Bum Crack
Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: It's only early but.....

so this is where we adjust our pre season predictions?
Had the Hawks in the top 4 at the start, seen nothing to change that.
Will add a new club to the long list of interstate clubs to have lost to us on the last day of the season .
Will be no better sight in football ever than to see Roughy lift the cup.

Richmond to miss the 8
Suns to finish 9th
North bottom

Because you beat Geelong?

No because we were one of the best teams in the comp 2nd half of last year and have plenty of room for improvement.
Because we have the best coach in the comp, that 5 week rebuild was almost intolerable
Because our skills are still the best in the comp
LOL
by Bum Crack
Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: It's only early but.....

MW wrote:That's not a big call Booney!

I think Booney started up this thread so he can go on about the Power now they are flag certainties
by Bum Crack
Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Open Mike

Harped on a bit too much about missing the 2016 flag for mine.

Still- good interview.

I really like Bob. Forget the 2016 season, the fairytale that wasn't to be, Bevo on the dias and all that, I liked how he played the game and would be one of those blokes who would be good to chat to about footy and life over a beer.
I refuse to watch anything with Bob in it. He gives me the shits big time.
by Bum Crack
Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:51 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PAFC flash backs

Booney do you know if the Enright in the 77 side was any relation to Corey Enright that played at Geelong and was an ex Maggie junior?

I don't think so mate. Bob only played a dozen or so games for Port before going to West Torrens and I think a Jack Enright at Torrens was his son.
Bob and Corey's old man are cousins. Bob is also a Kimba boy. He was married to my auntie years ago when he was playing at Torrens. Went on to have a good career at Torrens in the Back Pocket. Jack is his son. He's at Henley now I reckon.
by Bum Crack
Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

David Brent wrote:
SuperFrank wrote:Did I hear Geordie Franks kicked 8 snags against Karoonda on Saturday in Berri's trial???

Kicked or ate?

Bwahahahahahahahahaha
by Bum Crack
Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port Adelaide 2018

Would be in the 2nd year of his contract as a draftee, which would be about $70k + match payments.

As we stand, he is on nowhere near $300k.

I'd hazard a guess and say match payments would be about $3k.

I heard rookie listed players are minimum 80k now, surely he's on more than 70k base as a full listed player
Yeah he's on a shit load more than that. These port blokes have no idea.
by Bum Crack
Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Also, if you're injured in a game, you're still paid the $4,500.00 match payment each week that you are out injured.
by Bum Crack
Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wedgie wrote:Sweet Jesus, who cares!
Nice deflection though but the keeper is still behind it comfortably.

Bit rich coming from you with some of the crap you post.
by Bum Crack
Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Roger Rogerson
by Bum Crack
Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well it sounds like the AFL have found him guilty is that correct??

Of something, by the sounds of it. They're not telling the club what or with what evidence though.
Surely they wouldn't be imposing a penalty unless they were certain of something? Just cop it on the chin and move on I reckon. Maybe the club will find out something they weren't quite prepared for if they keep pursuing it further.

There's a chance the AFL have spent two weeks investigating something and can't be seen to have cost the bloke a week on the field and not hand some sort of penalty down.

I imagine the AFLPA is watching closely.
Surely they're not that ******* stupid?
by Bum Crack
Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Overrated bands/artists/songs/albums

Spargo wrote:Coldplay - 90% of their shit sounds the same
Draw a warm bath, pass me the gin and razor blades...

Worst band in the world bar none.
by Bum Crack
Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wished I got to ahem, play with golfer girl.

3 years in a no chocolates for the Boon team at any event. Is it time to draft up the Boon Footy Forum dream team? Who would be in such a team? Time for Spargo and the Pirate to step up? How about Dutchy, Jase or Matt35.

Boon a non playing team captain, just drinking pi55 and sledging opposition teams?
I'm in. How owes me for getting his missus a box of moscato at cost price a few years ago.
by Bum Crack
Mon May 07, 2018 4:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Playing Renmark Friday for a Corporate day, any thoughts on the course?
The course is pretty good at the moment. I played penants there last week and it has improved a hell of a lot compared to what it was. Preferred lie too which will come in handy because there is a fair bit of kangaroo shit on the course but apart from that, it's pretty good. Greens are nice. All the Riverland clubs have good courses at the moment.
by Bum Crack
Mon May 07, 2018 2:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Your poison of choice?

Spargo wrote:
DOC wrote:I love this weather. What red is with the shanks?

Nepenthe Shiraz - arguably the nicest $17 bottle of wine I’ve had.

I love the Wirra Wirra Church Block for $20 bucks. One of my favourite value for money reds.
by Bum Crack
Fri May 18, 2018 12:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NBN

( Out of my comfort zone here )

Are you telling me this $30bn whizz bang state of the art system works better if I'm closer to the node?

Yep. because the libs, in their infinite wisdom, decided to keep the copper for the last bit to your house.

The technologies are roughly this

ADSL/Traditional Phone: copper all the way from your exchange to your house. usually a max of say 5km. Losses are tens of dB per km. what that means is if you have a long run of copper, the signal to noise ratio is very low by the time it gets to your house - which means low speeds (more error correction needs to be done on your data and higher packet loss so some need to be resent)

Surprising that we can even get relatively high speeds out of this copper, which was only ever designed for voice traffic. engineers ftw.

Fibre to the Premises (FTTP): replace the copper with fibre - which has losses of maybe 0.1dB per km rather than tens of dB. which means massively higher speeds. (like 1000Mb or more instead of 24). Expensive to install - not because of the cost of the fibre, which is cheaper than copper, but because of the cost of pulling cable through pits to your house. This is what the Labor govt's original plan was - to run fibre everywhere.

More expensive but would have been a lot better going forward. as with everything you could argue the cost/benefit.

Fibre to the Node (FTTN): an apparently cheaper (cost blowouts have put the cost close to the original labor plan( solution that involves running fibre some of the way to your house, and then using the existing copper for the final run to your house. Uses a technology similar to ADSL but can deliver speeds of up to 100Mb. (note this is 10 times less than the max speeds of FTTP)

Because you still have high loss copper in the way, the length of that copper still matters to your speeds. ADSL used to work to a max of 5km or more, VDSL will do maybe 1km max.

caveat: im not a telecomms engineer, so this could be very slightly wrong in some parts, but you should get the gist.
I got a headache reading that :)
by Bum Crack
Mon May 21, 2018 12:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Good Movies

Someone mentioned the Jerk on another thread, got me thinking, that was a funny film. Steve Martin at his best and one of his 1st. I’ll have to see if I can get a copy or find it on sky.
The Jerk is a classic movie. I loved it when his African American parents told him he was adopted after 20 years and he starts crying and says "so I'm going to be this colour forever" lol
by Bum Crack
Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dirty dozen - Round 12

Spargo wrote:Dusty out for Richmond.

They'll still win by 5 goal. Port are tripe.
by Bum Crack
Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |