Search found 235 matches

Return

Re: Great Southern Football League

Tiger83 wrote:Correct Yank Man.

He's a super get for the club. I guess he's a playing coach Tiger83? Grasshopper is good with the goss aye, he told me a month ago it was a done deal. Any news on the comings and goings yet or is too early to tell. Hope he isn't anti the footy forum, :D :D
by Yank Man
Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL division 6 2014

Far out plenty of coaching gigs out there atm.

Could do worse than deeman and or Yank Man!

inimitable

?????

Only those who have had the privilege to have coached morell, and the excitement of coaching against marbles beloved Henley can understand both of their double dutch comments Cohiba. I think they are a compliment? :D
by Yank Man
Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Zedman are u serious that a coach can not take players i laugh at that comment like stealing money is ur example well the police better be called in i must be breaking the law.
And when you do not have an understanding of my role one bit at TOS, i am a coach there maybe not the A grade coach but i am Scotts off field coach an assistant last time i checked it is still coaching, The best thing with Scott and TOS is they want to build a gr8 team of coaches and hopefully it works for some gr8 results for the club.
And your comment that as coach i should be present at every event the club does, they did not pay that much for me to put my whole life on hold i honoured my contract to what was put on paper.

But i do luv the can worms open in the discussion about slacks i never stated on here i dont agree or agree i gave option to the playing group, but if the club enforced as club uniform, well then you should do it. But when clubs just make A grade players do it and reserve players get to where no slacks is that fair.

I've never left a club and taken players. Had the odd one ask to come and sought approval from the club and I have ALWAYS attended ALL club functions regardless of cost. It's a gimme. You take on the role and you abide by the club rules. Leadership reflects attitude captain. :D
by Yank Man
Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hey everyone, welcome to my list of...

*drumroll*

morell's Football Myths!

1. You play the way you train.
2. Pre-seasons are really important in amateur football.
3. Stretching achieves anything, ever.
4. Every club pays players.
5. Getting to a game early allows for a superior preperation.
6. Business slacks make you a more professional and disciplined club.

This has clearly been done to death morell, BUT,

1. You DO play the way you train, over the season and not week by week.
2. Pre-seasons are critical in amatuer footy. To build the bond and unite the group. Not trash em.
3. Stretching is EVERYTHING at amatuer league level, it dramatically improves recovery before a night on the piss.
4. Most clubs pay a handful of players, that's why they progress.
5. Professional clubs encourage A grade players to get to the oval early to support the B's. Thus improving preparation.
6. Club attire is a 50/50. For me, most of the class of 2011/12 at MP were plumbers, electricians, concreters, mechanics, brikkies, laborers etc, etc. More than half of them worked for themselves so getting dolled up to go to the footy and play Saturday was like going to a wedding or funeral for them. So all I asked was to wear a club top and dress like you liked yourself. They all dressed to the nines for club functions I might say, and that was their choice as a group. Tells you something about a premiership team I guess. :)
by Yank Man
Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Not sure just yet. There are rumours circulating which personally speaking I have yet to verify.
Why wouldn't Harro be going on again?
Not sure mate! I haven't spoken to him yet, just rumours at this stage. Apparently off to Christies Beach where he has connections though his better half.

That would be 2 clubs looking for a coach in November. St Kilda and MP. :) Surely morell that would put the club in a precarious position where most clubs are ready for pre-season? Very sad if true. A large percentage of MP's players are there because of him, if they go with him that would be back to the drawing board. :(
by Yank Man
Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Morrell does have a ridiculous idea that every player should never be paid. Clubs like Mitchell Park and Morrell will have to gett over this ridiculous notion if they want Io exist and prosper into the future. You can't just blame local clubs like CLG and Kenilworth and Southern clubs for rewarding players efforts with financial reward. A part of football life that 95% of players are rewarded financially now. To suggest that football or SAAFL football should be non paying is both ridiculous and nieve. Time for Mitchell Park to either dig ino their pockets or just accept that players will walk away for financial reasons. The days of playing for zero reward have been over for 20 years and is nothing new. It has nothing to do with who is a tue Mitchell Park player but a football reality I've been over this countless times and to be honest the discussion now bores me and probably many others. Suffice to say I would much rather struggle and get smashed but play with great life long friends, than play with a bunch of guys who are after a pay packet and/or aren't interested in contributing to the club outside of kicks, marks and handballs.

That is a personal preference and a cultural point of difference at Mitchell Park. Some people love it, and stay for the rest of their careers. Others don't dig it as much.

We are essentially a social football club, some people at the club would hate me saying that, but that's the reality. Of course we strive for success and we want to win, but ultimately, on field success is only one measurement of how well we're going. Gameday lasts for a couple of hours, the amount time I spend at the club is much, much more than that. Sport is the vehicle, but the real reason why I play, and I would suggest the great majority of other people at Mitchell Park play, is for the social component. Paying players would erode the social component.

Its a different outlook, and one that is sadly disappearing from modern football. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

If you all want to turn your clubs into mini corporations and slut yourselves to the next group of mercenaries, so be it, good luck with that, have fun in the lofty heights of what, Div 4? Div 3? Whoppdeedoo! We will still be down here, having a laugh, and kicking goals, albeit likely less than our opponents in 2014.

morell, you do not need to defend yourself and your great club re paying players. Yes, most clubs do it and the progressive one's who want to go up divisions all have footy spending budgets to get them there. The wonderful thing about MP is the mateship of people who play for the love of the club. If that leaves the club up and down from Div 6 to 7 and players coming and going then so be it. It is what it is at the den but unless attitudes change at the top then the club will struggle to stay alive. Yes zedman, I hope to come back this year and be an influence in some way. :)
by Yank Man
Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well done and congratulations must go out to Scott "Scooter" Weekley who is the new A Grade Coach for Mitchell Park in season 2014. Scott has been our B grade coach for quite a few years but also has experience with Edwardstown. Taking what was a pretty ordinary unit at times in our B grade to perennial finals contender, Scott was the perfect man for the job. Personally speaking he has been a great coach for me and is one of the better tactical minds you will come across in amatuer football.

He is also quite pragmatic when it comes to black slacks. :D

We would also like to welcome back one of our favourite sons in Wayne Wyld, who has graciously stepped out of retirement to give us hand in a Director of Coaching sort of role. Yanky can perhaps expand on his role?

Now to build some positivity, win back some players, get on the blower and get stuck into pre season. In January. ;)

Official role is Football Manager and Assistant to Scott. Time to support the very guy who supported me for two years. After all he was my A grade assistant as well as ressies coach. Is good to be back but. We've kept the majority, recruited a few and a couple have come back from the 2013 gf team.
by Yank Man
Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 7 2014

Can't believe that players in div 7 are getting paid well over a hundred a game. Where is footy heading,surely you can attract players to your club without offering ridiculous money.will be bloody cold training in the middle of winter at this club
You have to be joking? There is no way any players in Div7 should be getting paid at all let alone over a hundred bucks. What type of club would do this?

People wonder why clubs fade away and die!

This would have to be a joke?

OR this could be the way the club is able to work its way up the Divisions, which is after all what all SAAFL clubs are trying to do. Maybe this club has exhausted all avenues in recruiting and has decided to fork out some coin to attract players that are going to help them win a flag, or at least make the GF so they can be promoted.

If its within your means to pay players why not use it to your advantage. You just want to make sure you recruit/pay the right type of player who supports the club off the field as much as he does on.

This is the crucial point. And one where many (if not most) clubs fail. All about short term gains vs long term gains.

Unfortunately meganeck, you don't pay and you run the risk of losing your best players. I thought we recruited well at MP and the guys played for the love, but along comes the money tree and all of a sudden guys are getting offered more than half their weekly work salary to move on. Makes it hard to keep them. The budgets of some clubs I have heard in Div 6 and 7 blows me away, right up there with my time in Div 1 and 2. Makes our 2012 GF all the more special because really good players went to war just for the game and each other, ;)
by Yank Man
Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

woodublieve12 wrote:
jaykay13 wrote:what a load of rubbish old fellow! You obviously dont get to many games! The game plan is built around intimidation!

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd

That is bloody GOLD. You need a job in the media. Hahaha.
by Yank Man
Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Great to the declined button still works well at Yank.

Well when players arent financial, thats what the 'decline button' is for..

Yes Tiger83, well aware of what the button is for. My interest is with Matty Wilson who was happily cleared to SANFL (the Crows ressies I presume) but denied to RFL, clearly an option if he doesn't make it. You would of thought the skipper from 2013 was financial and could go wherever he wanted. :)

Not that ur in a position that needs to know, but Matty is not completely financial. Its not always about Subs... He wont be playing anywhere in 2014 now anyway. He had a shoulder reconstruction the other day after a training mishap.

Sorry Tiger83 it wasn't meant as a swipe at the club, yes I am not in a position to know and nor should I be. It was a bit of a giggle to see it because the big fella loves the NO button and so he should. Sorry to hear about Willo he is a great soldier and will fight back. Believe it or not I still love the club dearly and hope Thommo can give us success.
by Yank Man
Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 4 2014

i think you'll be fighting more than one opponent for that last C grade spot

What a crazy crazy year...and it hasn't even started yet.
Is grass roots sports across the board slowly dying in Australia?

In America they dont have structured grass roots sports programs - if you dont make it thats it.. could we be headed the same way?

Absolutely not.

I think you're just seeing a diversion between clubs who plan for long-term success vis a vis short term success.

Take the Club's with (arguably) the two biggest junior programs in the State. TTG are fielding a fourth side again and PNU are fielding a fourth side for the first time in their history (as PNU).

Similarly well run clubs, who have been buidling from the ground up for a number of years in Hope Valley and Old Iggies are doing the same thing.

I think what you'll find are that clubs which have historically done little to nothing to develop junior football (Brahma, Kilburn, Ovingham, Mitchell Park) are struggling whereas the Club's who put the effort in, and have been putting the effort in for a number of years are reaping the rewards.

What you're saying is correct. But Mitchell Park have been working hard on our juniors and currently have 4 full teams for 2014 with the possibility of a 5th. Our problem is the gap between the 30 plus year olds and the next generation. Our fault because we didn't work hard enough at it back then.
by Yank Man
Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Special thanks to all my friends on this forum who want to know where we are at.

Yes a meeting was held at Mitchell Park last night and it related to player numbers and a clear direction for the club going forward. The reality is we have lost, through retirement of an ageing list, a list of clearances and players wanting a break, 17 of our premiership team of 2012. Add to that from 2013 another 23 who can't be bothered.

The meeting was very much about the implementation of stuctures at committee level to ensure we are not going to put in this position again and the protection of our junior structure, who will fill 4 full sides for the 1st time in the clubs history.

I might add that our club has been in full consultation with the league whom have been very, very supportive. The final outcomes will be determined in the next week or so, but, alas, we DO have a footy club and it's onwards and upwards.
by Yank Man
Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL Division 4 2014

Sorry for intruding but.... I'm sure Brahma Lodge put a lot of faith in the people they chose to take the club forward. All of a sudden they all leave and they are left with nothing. People, what happened to getting behind the Aussie battler and not kicking them when they're down. We can talk all day about the mistakes, but this club is trying to save themselves from extinction. Where they play is irreverent , as long as they play. Compassion is not something experienced in footy all that often, but atm, we all need to work for a strong league and all clubs are part of that. I'll go now, with friends or not.
by Yank Man
Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hi Morell. How's it going at the den?
Hey matey.

Its going well.

Nah its no secret were struggling. Not sure on the details in regards to where we're heading just yet, a bit more water under the bridge I suspect.

Yanky would know more.

Nice handball morell........ all I know is that we have lost 25 starting A graders from last year. Reckon the punters can work the rest out. :(
by Yank Man
Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

happilyretired wrote:FUFC have just written on their Facebook Public site that they have a trial this weekend @ Mitchell Park at 1pm

Might be 9 a side if all the player exit rumors are true...!!

More likely 25 versus 25.
by Yank Man
Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's a myth in my opinion that more and more blokes head to the country. 15-20 years ago country SA comps like Riverland, Western Border, Spencer Gulf and GSFL were chic full of imports and the standard (on a scale) was outstanding. Those comps were on par with many red hot Victorian Country comps. Now they wouldn't get close to them

The cash in the country dried up. There would be far less imports there now even if you wiped points completely.

The thing is that most country comps have a scale for points. The top teams get 6,7, points and the bottom teams get 15. That's where the $$$$ become an issue. A club sitting on the bottom has sponsors/supporters etc who have had a good season in the fields or in the winery etc, etc then decide to chuck in the bucks and go out and get what they want. 6 or 7 gun recruits at 3 pts max is 18 or 21. Then if they have 5 good Senior Colts they get minus 1 point each for them. Bingo your in business and can rest a gun each week. How much you pay them is irrelevant because their is no salary restrictions. Unfortunately the kids end up sitting on the pine or rotating with each other. Those handful of guns DO actually make a big difference though. So we will continue to lose good players to the country because of that reason. Not saying it's right or wrong but just sayin'.
by Yank Man
Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Clubs in strife

Footy Chick started this to determine why clubs get in strife. So sticking to the point, from a Mitchell Park perspective when I came to the club in 2010 we identified recruitment. Being close to so many SAAFL clubs we looked outside the square and went south. The SFL has many good players who struggle to play A's but can be highly competitive in Div 7 (where we were at the time). We got good players, some 22, over 2 years and promised them a premiership if they were prepared to do the hard yards. Unfortunately that was a career highlight for them and mission accomplished. Now they would rather suck tinnies and revel in the glory rather than put in again and be competitive at a higher level. Some have gone south again, some have other agendas and the die hard oldies have families and achieved a lifetime dream. There is no formula to keep your club up and about other than a successful junior programme. Money don't buy love, promises don't buy love, but a kid who has played 50 to 100 games in the juniors??))) Most of them love you forever and don't expect to get paid, maybe except for one who is very good and being chased by other clubs. In that case then of course you do what you can to accommodate him. Frankly I'm staggered that 4 of our best players, in a struggling Div 6 club, have been offered between $200 and $450 a game to desert us. Thank God they remain loyal.
by Yank Man
Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Also, since there's ROund 1 happening tomorrow, have we had any resolution on the club's sagas?

Are Flinders Uni, Mitchell Park, Kilburn, Angle Vale and Brahma anticipating fielding 2 teams tomorrow?

Have just noticed both Mitchell Park & Kilburn have named only 10 players each on Sporting Pulse :(

Don't stress about reading too much into that in Round 1. Just means that clearances/new registrations haven't cleared their way through the sportingpulse system yet

Should be more than enough, cos our opponent hasn't named any. :D
by Yank Man
Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Kilburn by 50 plus, Brahma by 30 plus, Mitchell Pk by 20 plus, Flinders Uni by 20 plus and Angle Vale by 30 plus. Not a good look in my opinion. Good luck to the clubs for giving it a go but you just wonder what it's going to be like come winter and injuries kick in. :(
by Yank Man
Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Quite amazing that Mitchell Park lost by 23 goals today and yet I personally couldn't be prouder. The side we had included 5 guys who couldn't get a game in our C Grade last year, an 18 yr old kid at fullback, half a dozen blokes who haven't trained more than once or twice. Plus a few more who really should be in a paddock somewhere. I honestly thought we were looking at a Kilburn 50+ goal type result before the game but to the lads credit they fought like the mutts they are and managed to walk off with heads held high.

Thanks to the Mawson Lakes guys, good footy club, always respectful and were simply way too good. Schapel, Uern, Reidy and co will run amok this year.

That shows great spirit Morell, it may be a long year but I think it will be a team building year that will hold you in good stead for the future
:)

Thanks to everyone at MLFC for the way they conducted themselves yesterday. Would have been easy to treat us like chumps, but they maintained a high level of professionalism all day. 10 goals to 2 at half time and I thought our pressure was good but in the end our fitness and quality waned in the 2nd half and a couple of injuries restricted our bench rotations. Fortunately we still have 5 or 6 good A graders still to come in and our best team on the deck will be competitive. Rosewater next week doesn't get any easier though so we might just save some for after Easter. :lol:
by Yank Man
Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Flash Poll - Which grade do you think Kilburn should be

Div 3. At worse case at least they know they will be in Div 4 next year. If they drop to C div would that spot remain in 2015? I think not. That's their predicament I believe.
by Yank Man
Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

norm11 wrote:I did see a big fella in the warm up talking to the coach, it didn't look good.

morell :D And he ain't THAT big ;)
by Yank Man
Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SAAFL division 5 2014

I can understand people having some venom to Brahma. They spent some coin and went up Divs. BUT , what is IS. Facts are Bigshow is the new coach and a man I have been close to over the years. A person of high repute and a person who believes can take the club forward. Cut him some slack, it's his problem, not his fault. Just sayin'. ;)
by Yank Man
Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

:oops: :oops: Oh dear... really need to stay the f**k away from computers & safooty after a few drinks! :oops:

Might have to go into hiding for a while!

Great post. Just had an awkward laugh out loud moment at work.

Don't worry I have had some absolute shockers myself.

Great post? You are joking again WW yes? PG your tirade against MP is forgiven my friend. Just be grateful IF get a chance to get revenge for previous misdemeanours on our behalf. Fact is the rivalry goes back to 2001 at the minimum and should be that, rivalry. Maybe it should be built on and not spat on, just sayin.
by Yank Man
Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

:D Spear me with an arrow if you like, but I think the top 4 teams are well ahead of the rest after 4 rounds.

Usually the case after four matches have been played.

I also heard from a few of the blokes at fitzroy that when they play at Mitchell park they are keen for a few frothies at the Mitchell park footy club. A couple of their better a grade players live on the same street as the Mitchell park oval.

Hey Yank Man is June 30th still the cut off for clearances ;)

Sure is. Might be free frothies for those lads. :D
by Yank Man
Mon May 05, 2014 12:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Junior Football

Lightning McQueen wrote:LOL.

My grandson Master 6 loves to play Uno with me. We play best of 10.......if I'm in front we keep going till he wins. He's a good counter too. Last round ended up 35-34. Game over. :D
by Yank Man
Tue May 06, 2014 3:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Channel Nine Adelaide Football League?

marbles wrote:
Pag wrote:Not sure why anyone ever expected a show run by Craig Hutchison's company to give network TV time to the SAAFL.

is anyone yet to see a channel 9 news camera at any channel 9 adelaide football league game yet this season?[/quote

They've obviously been a bit too busy at Aldinga. :D
by Yank Man
Wed May 07, 2014 11:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Big thanks to the Fitzroy people for giving us a hand with Brad. He is in hospital getting a myriad of pins and screws put into a severely broken leg.

Yes, good call morell, never a pretty sight when an ambo turns up to a footy game. For those interested in his well being Brad snapped both tibia and fibula clean in half. He will require extensive surgery with rods and pins and obvoiously miss the remainder of this season and maybe the next. The people of Fitzroy were amazing in their help and I have nothing but admiration for the whole club. Then to continue the game after the long stoppage and play with great spirit then come in to the club for a beer afterwards showed your true colours. You have done your club proud.

On a lighter note, the argy bargy between old timers Harty and Lecky was classic, Joe played behind the footy for a change and every time he got the footy Harty called out you're clear old man go you legend, Joe kept at him saying I don't need your help, Harty kept saying, oh yes I think you do.

Grass roots footy is alive and VERY well. :)
by Yank Man
Sun May 18, 2014 6:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Oh, Sorry for having an opinion OF. Think you miss my point. Everyone that has a job are just normal people and should be able to go about their normal life outside of work and continue doing what makes them happy. I fully support Tony Abbott for continuing his voluntary role in his local CFS despite being elevated to Prime Minister. Whats whether Ben is going to qualify for Finals got to do with him playing? That's simply a ridiculous statement imo. He's got every right to play the sport he loves for his local home club when he's available to. Going on your theory , all the Yankalilla players may as well give up playing now as none of them will play finals.

Now that's a fact, no one will. ;)
by Yank Man
Mon May 19, 2014 10:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

morell wrote:I would politely suggest that going up a division had absolutely nothing to do with those players jumping on board.

Other than perhaps the Coaches and recruiting people thinking they needed to because of said division jump.

The power of 'The Riddler' :D
by Yank Man
Thu May 22, 2014 2:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Watch out Yank Man the great man Carey is straight back in the "A" grade on Saturday, is he too good for the " B" grade. :)

Hahaha DJ, hope he does. Got just the right match up for him, the same lad who took out our premiership ruckman and broke his leg in 3 places. Yep took out his own team mate, so he will have zero tolerance on an old fat guy coming of knee op. :D :D
by Yank Man
Thu May 22, 2014 9:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/blackfriars-old-scholars-beat-angle-vale-in-division-six-amateur-league-by-70-goals/story-fnii08h3-1226930901347

I don't understand how paying players gets mentioned in this story, or why clubs that don't pay players wear it as a badge of honour.

When asked why is the club not going well, the answer is not 'because we don't pay players' it's 'no one (or no one good) wants to play for us'. Clubs obviously invest their $$ in whatever they think is best for the club, if they think paying players vs facilities, equipment, juniors etc is the best way to do it, then why wouldn't you?

If you say 'we would like to pay players, but we dont have the $$', the answer is still not 'because we don't pay players' its 'we can't raise enough money to be competitive'. So your club off field is too weak vs the competition.

If you want people to play for the love of the club vs $$, you have to make your club more valuable to those people than the $$ they are being offered. So if they leave its still not because you dont pay players, its because the players don't value the club highly enough. And really, how much can div 7 footballers be paid? Surely stuff all, so if they are leaving to get paid stuff all elsewhere, they must not care too much about the club.

Jetters just took over from B4E. Try not paying your superstars Jetters and see how long they hang around. Sometimes I wonder about you champ.

FC can we PLEASE PLEASE have PG back, at least his crap comes from Div 6. :)
by Yank Man
Sun May 25, 2014 9:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

money may not be the issue at M.P nad A.V but in a lot of the divisions the money is showing compared to the clubs who dont have money

And it's been that way for years. I agree with Jetters tho maybe too many clubs to keep it sustainable in future years. Wash my mouth out.... Agreeing with Jetters. :D
by Yank Man
Mon May 26, 2014 2:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

All those in favor of bringing Phantom back just click the like button.
by Yank Man
Mon May 26, 2014 2:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

**** me. No wonder we can't compete.

What % would bar takings contribute to the overall revenue of your clubs? Without having the numbers handy it is far too high. I'd say last year might have been around 80% but I'd say that was a bit of a spike due to the new rooms. Our bar takings alone were 150% above a previous year's total revenue. Our challenge is to maintain our revenue or increase it by diversifying our revenue streams. We have doubled our membership numbers and now have 4 x 8 ball teams. Hopefully we will put a cricket team on the park soon.

Included in our footy budget also is complete funding of our juniors. We only charge them $60 for subs at the moment until we can develop a full group. They cost us between $4 and $6k for a season but will be worth it in the long term. The footy club also pays the 'sporting club' for the priviledge of using the facility at $20 a head for every player and member. Don't get me started on the Mitchell Park Sporting Club. Fact is 85 percent of their income is footy, juniors, cricket and the gorgeous gals from the netball club, and they are all associated in one way shape or form to the Football Club. ;)
by Yank Man
Mon May 26, 2014 9:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I can see how more areas with a more dense catchment areas would have greater numbers and therefore opportunities, but don't think it's directly affecting ladder position or results.

Take Ingle Farm as a prime example - with the exception of the last 18 months, the club has struggled to be competitive for the best part of 7 or so years.

Don't wind him up PG, he will work on it for hours. :D
by Yank Man
Fri May 30, 2014 4:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015: 7 Pure A-Grade Divisions

Isn't that the reason Div 8 was brought in, so C grade clubs had their own promotion and relegation system. Div 6 will fine in 2015 with MP and AV going back and Smithfield and Houghton or Nth pines going up. Adel Uni can stay down if they choose to do so even if they play in the GF.

Clubs will always drop off during the season and that's happened for eternity. Simple solution is A B and C grade only and if you have too many players send em elsewhere to even the comp.
by Yank Man
Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I suspect this season has a few more surprises to throw up yet, and I definitely wouldn't be counting out Fitzroy or CU of making a charge in the 2nd half of the season.

I agree I think Rosewater, Ingle Farm, Blackfriars and West Croydon look like locks for the top 5 - what order they finish in is anyones guess and the double chance/home final could prove pivotal.

No doubt there will be surprises PG but the reality is you will need 22 pts to make the 5. Lockleys win 6 of their last 10 they are home. Fitzroy need to win 7 and so do CU. ML need to win all 10. As I said the 5 is decided and Fitzroy and CU are the teams who will determine the positions. No one likes to get ahead of themselves but you set your season up in the 1st 8 games. ;)
by Yank Man
Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SMiffies have obviously been a standout in the A grade this year.

However, for them to even be here in 2014, they signed and agreed to a stringent set of rules arising from many incidents during the 2013 season. To my knowledge, I don't think they are the only club on such an agreement.

As a result of incidents coming out of an U18's match, the U18's have been disqualified from competition. The club as a whole has lost 8 premiership points and have probably been fined heavily as per their terms and conditions of their affiliation agreement.

This must be crushing to the A grade folk who have worked very hard to be where they are now but unfortunately they were aware of the implications of playing up.

Best of luck to Great Catch and our other Smiffy posters for the rest of the year. I'm sure they'll play hard but fair like the team we're all used to.

Yeah, agreed FC. Good luck facing them over the next week or so, they'll be pumped. :D
by Yank Man
Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

effing really? 2 holidays coming up. seriously.. if you can't discuss something without it turning into a slanging match *sigh*

Yeah FC, I'm with ya, nasty posts and boring as bat sh...t really. Now let's get back to footy. NOT COMPLAINING but it was again good to have a very senior umpire at Uni yesterday, but word of advice my friend, It's Div 6 and not Div 1. Guys make mistakes at this level and as for hovering and counting down the seconds then HOLDING THE BALL, I thought I was at a PORT game.

WC had a few out but The Farmers will play either Rossies or BOS in the big dance and to all of you who are stabbing at IF, words from many at the den who have done battle over the years 'we can't believe how disciplined they have become' not to mention structured and hard working. Reckon our boys know better than most. Bring on Saturday, can't wait to lose by 35 goals again. :D
by Yank Man
Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Robb_Stark wrote:zedman you got some rich players at your club :)

Nah, they just saved up their player payments. :D :D :D
by Yank Man
Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

AV's B grade have forfeited tomorrow and under mutual agreement the A grade game will now be played at 12:15.

Have some real empathy for the Owls. Winter sorts out the lowly ranked teams. The reality is if it wasn't for the crabs we would have forfeited a few times too. Great work by the league to let us work together because at the end of the day all clubs in Div6 so far have been able to play 2 games each week against us. :)
by Yank Man
Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Big thanks for the Locks club for coming in to our club after our game. Special thank you to TK and Chris for the extended chat, you are great guys and Locks are in good hands.
The one thing that disappoints me the most of where we are as a club right now is the wonderful friends I have either made or renewed this year. Div 6 is a really good comp and all clubs have worked hard on building relationships, regardless of scores and more importantly worked on credibility.
Gunna miss you bitches, lol.
by Yank Man
Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

we played shocs today at then den - under 18s

pay up shockers :) turn off the hot water until they do, or provide no key to changerooms even :)

Unfortunately they just have to phone the "sports and social club " to get permission to use the oval and they bare their arse for 50 bucks.

We have new state of the art lighting that starts next week and night games will be really chased next year. Hopefully they will ALL have to negotiate with me and we can dictate terms for 2015. Money for the lads if you get my gist. :D
by Yank Man
Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

This is bizarre comment.

Going by their record (what else could you go by!?) they are the most ill disciplined, or very close to, club in the SAAFL.
Not bizarre at all. I'm sure Roaring Lion's comment is based on his observations in 2014, not previous seasons. Those that have played against Central United in 2014 would agree that they have been hard at it, but disciplined......unfortunately for them, with one obvious exception.

You can't just ignore previous seasons.
And you can't disregard the most heavily penalised incident this year of shithousery as a mere exception. It more or less just never happens at 90% of clubs. Just a select few.[/quote]
Nobody is ignoring previous seasons. To be honest, I'm not really in a position to judge how Central United go about it. I've only observed them in 2 games this year and based on those two games they were much more disciplined than what they have been in the past. So, from my point of view it seemed like they were heading in the right direction. There are plenty of other contributors to this forum that would agree. It seems their good progress has been spoilt by one individual . Now, if you think that's bizarre.....then that's what it is.[/quote][/quote]

But this incident basically never happens at nearly all clubs![/quote]

Sorry Jetters but I fail to comprehend what it has to do with a person involved in a Div 3 club, heading for Div 2. I happen to be good mates with carey and I know first hand the painstaking work that has been done at CU to clean up their image. Yes, the priors can't be forgotten but when you think you have ticked all the boxes and are on track then this happens it puts you back a long way. You of all people know the rabble MP used to be and the rep they carried, it's taken a long time to get some cred with the clubs we play against. Frankly that's where you start, other clubs like your own can say what they like, but do it on another forum. ;)
by Yank Man
Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The_Informer wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:who are you?

Shortly will be known as The Mayor of Houghton.

Footy Chick is talking about The Riddler Informer, yeah where you been Riddler, have missed your dribble. :D
by Yank Man
Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Mitchell Pk for me.
Morell I saw a bit of the game at Fitzroy the other week the young red headed lad has a bit of talent I reckon, cant remember what number he is. Good lord, you saw the worst performance from a Mitchell Park side in the 15 years I've been at the club then. Diabolical. Didn't help that Fitzroy kicked 16 straight in the last quarter.

A red head ?! How did this happen?!? Probably explains a fair bit, I mean they're barely human....

I can assure you we will be doing our darndest to eradicate this scourge next year, apologies to the other sides which have had to put up with it.

Hey, you leave the ranga alone, if we had 10 more of him we'd be in the 5. :D
by Yank Man
Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

.... and his toddlers are still McDonnells ;)
For some reason, all I can picture is little evil kids in overalls, with ginger freckles and ranga afros :lol:

Yeah well picture this, 3 of the sweetest girls who would melt your heart and the latest addition a boy who looks just like his dad and will end up eating your face PG if you are not careful, lol, he's a proud dad and so he should be, he has a wonderful family and no Rangas, mostly blonde darlings. :D
by Yank Man
Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Corey Wheadon known as Chook full back and Nelson Centre half back from Fitzroy neither of these 2 play a bad game both haven't had bags kicked on them once this year would have to be up there with the best in the comp at playing theses possy's.

Is Matt Nelson the skipper JC? Really rate him has great voice and leadership I'd like him leading my defence.
by Yank Man
Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

the third time ive asked this...

not a single bgrader is allowed to come down & play bgrade reserves (cgrade) this week???? WTF :shock:

Nice, that coming from a club who has abused that very comment. One would seriously hope not because if it was Henley half the A's would be playing, been there done that. My money is on Modbury in the cred stakes. :)
by Yank Man
Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |