Search found 354 matches

Return

Re: R6: South v Adelaide - Sunday 1st May @ Hickinbotham Ov

I reckon interest in this one would be very high.
BUT
Adelaide United are playing a soccer grand final at the same time. My team will also be involved in a big game v Port, also at the same time.
Maybe if it were played at a different you'd get more neutrals. I reckon it'll be a cracker. Classic big bully nad guy v the good guy.
Carn South!!!
by therisingblues
Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R6: South v Adelaide - Sunday 1st May @ Hickinbotham Ov

I can totally understand why the AFL sides would want security given the way opposition supporters give it to them.
Maybe that's something to do with wanting to attend and speak at the opposition's presentations, after you have beaten them! (What's that? They don't love the Crows enough to allow them to do that? Doesn't everyone love the Crows?)
Or maybe it's to do with a reserves coach flipping the hat of a supporter of one of the heritage teams, and then crying to the papers because, of course everyone loves the Power! (What? He's not allowed to do that? Hang on, surely the supporters of heritage sides would love the Power more than their own side which they support week in week out?)
Maybe the Crows and Power should take their blinkers off and realise they're amongst a rivalry just as healthy and hence abusive as any AFL game. They've come in with a holier than thou attitude, expecting us to drop everything that's gone on for over a hundred years in order to roll out the red carpet and offer them special treatment. Then they invariably run to the papers when they learn they're to be treated just the same as any other club!
**** OFF! They wouldn't expect special treatment from the opposition in the AFL, why the **** do they think they're entitled to special protection in the SANFL?
by therisingblues
Mon May 02, 2016 5:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A-League season 2015-16

Scott Jamieson was kicked out of ZHIVAGO last night

Interesting only 6 people were evicted yesterday but the Adelaide vs Freo game had 14 evicted
Yet I have heard no reports of spectators trashing seats at the Crows game, I don't think there would have been people actually standing on the fence that seperates the playing arena from the spectator area... For the entire match! I don't think any flares were released at the Crows game, and I don't think there was a need to separate supporters from either side at the Crows game.
I was frigging glad there was a fence separating me from the WSW fans yesterday, in much the same way I am glad of the chain that prevents some mindless muscle dog from attacking me. Had the Crows fans committed half the sins of the Wanderers fans yesterday, you would have had many more evictions/ arrests. I had a pretty decent view of what the cops would have been faced with had they chosen to go in and taken action. The word "escalation" springs to mind. I'm no expert on crowd control, but it was possibly wiser just let them get all their aggro about life out on seats, flares, shouting and abusing targets they cannot reach through a double iron picketed fence and leave the door to the airport open and wave goodbye. The mob near the western side stands were the most feral example of sports supporter I've ever seen.
by therisingblues
Mon May 02, 2016 5:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: South Adelaide Old Nickname

Only club that retains its original colours? Really? I know port were pink and white...what were the other clubs colours initially?
Yes, first thought to spring to my mind too.
Then Sturt's colours were chosen through the street names where the club is located. The two blues of Oxford and Cambridge universities. To my knowledge these have been Sturt's only colours.
by therisingblues
Thu May 05, 2016 8:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2016 SANFL Crowds

According to media reports we had 1403 at Alberton

That is the lowest ever non-estimated crowd figure at Alberton; previous lowest was 1,536 - Rd 16 last year vs Central; a match involving West was 1,889 - Rd 22 2002
I have been harping on about it a bit, but even after the Power joined the AFL there was a determined and loyal group that stuck by the Magpies, and their crowds remained respectable, with the constant prospect of masses turning up if they made finals.
Since they became the power reserves that loyal group took the only loyal option open to them.
They evaporated.
I know they are having a crap year, but the days when they were still a stand alone club are becoming more distant, and the new identity is taking hold. The SANFL's once greatest crowd draw card continues to fall down the list, and it's not just because they are having a crap year.
As someone who loves the SANFL enough to the extent that I want all clubs to be healthy, what has happened to the Magpies counts as one of the great travesties of AFL meddling.
And I know there'll be plenty of Power fans who'll read this and think "Yeah whatever. Who cares?"
And that is exactly the problem.
by therisingblues
Sun May 08, 2016 1:18 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What was the best game you ever saw (exclud grand final)

Sturt v Norwood.
The Parade.

Just unbelievable. There's a highlights clip on youtube, but if you are to see the final quarter in its entirety it is much better.
The speed with which Sturt slammed home those final 7 goals is better appreciated in real time.

Was dreading this one, seriously scarred me as a kid. To this day it's the single greatest (not that us Norwood fans found anything "great" about it) comeback I've witnessed live. You could see Sturt growing in belief in those final 10 minutes, and they were just unstoppable once they got going.
Thanks JK! :D
The only time I have invaded a football field before the final siren, except for when Davies kicked 100 (also 1983).
Completely lost my head in the final minutes. I was only 12 mind you, but I leaped the fence after one of those goals and actually entered the playing arena, along with about a dozen other kids of a similar age. After crossing the boundary line we just sort of jumped around a lot, cheering as we faced the crowd, which appeared to be going nuts as well. The replays show you Halbert and the whole Sturt bench was going nuts, the atmosphere was electric. Next thing I knew the leader of the Sturt Cheer Squad has picked me up off my feet, carried me to the fence and thrown me back over it! He then started chasing the other kids who were still going nuts out on the field. We all compared stories about it later.
I am glad that there is at least one Norwood supporter that remembers it too. :D
by therisingblues
Fri May 13, 2016 5:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R8- Sturt v South at Unley (Saturday)

Very good win to the Blues.
Sturt 14-10: 94
South 7-4: 46
Mark Evans finished with 4, including two in two minutes in the third quarter, which really got Sturt going.
Sturt started strong and were leading the Panthers 6 goals to 1 early in the second, when South managed to clog the Sturt forward line for about half an hour. Many forward forays were stifled in that time while the Panthers put their heads down and replied a few times, closing the margin to 10 points by the 6 minute mark of the third quarter. South continued to defend hard, leaving Sturt goalless from the 4th minute of the second quarter to the 8th minute of the third, and in the 17th minute, when Xavier Gotch answered Sturt's only goal for the quarter up to that point, I began to worry that they would begin to show the form that made them the top side and the team to beat.
Enter Mark Evans and a big pair of strong hands. Sturt kicked 7 goals to 1 from that point on, and was mainly enabled by the strong marking under pressure, which was a feature of Sturt's game today IMO. The long kicking for goals was another, especially in the final quarter when at least two goals were sunk from outside 50, and a couple went close. Kirkwood also showed he could take a grab or two under pressure. In the end Sturt took 100 marks to South's 66, and were a lot cleaner with their skills.
Not sure what to make of South, I read that they had a few players out, and then we got them after we had the bye, and a relatively full strength side. When the two sides meet again at Noarlunga it will surely be a lot tougher. South is not the first side to get a pasting at Unley, and we often play better than we really are on that hallowed surface.
My first game of the year owing to a very busy schedule, so still not sure who the players are, but I did notice Battersby, Riley, Crocker and Lienert were often amongst it. I was impressed with what I saw of Lienert actually, still 21 yo and looked quite mobile for a big fella, and took a good grab or two also. Sturt had winners all over the ground though, and I think the more I name those I thought played well, the greater the disservice to those I cannot name. But Harms went in and used the ball effectively on a number of occasions I saw.
I think the crowd might have reached about 2,500. A good turn out of South fans, and their cheer squad was very visible and vocal on the hill, especially as they threatened Sturt late in the second and early in the third. For me though, I thought the atmosphere was down for a game as important as that one. Sturt were perhaps an outside chance before the start of play, but they were the next logical challenger after South had disposed of the Ravens a couple of weeks back, there should have been a much greater atmosphere. If this is the size of the new SANFL "blockbuster" then I am not sure what to think. Hopefully there'll be weightier games as the season progresses.
The battle for top spot is well and truly on now. A shame that the SANFL has such a raffle of a draw at the moment; there are three sides that have dropped one game, and the side with the worst percentage of the three is top.
Looking forward to next week it's Friday Nwd v WA, Saturday, CD v Adel, and on the Sunday it's PA v SA and then NA v Sturt. No real certainties there I think, except South should hold their top spot against Port. The week after, round 10, is a full 5 matches (What? Who would have thought it, when we have ten teams?!), Sturt have Adelaide on the Saturday of that round, which is the only side Sturt has not played in the top 5 as yet. Having said that, I fear North and Glenelg just as much as I feared South before today. The competition seems even enough that almost anyone could win on their day.
Maybe Eagles the biggest worry of the lot.

TEAM...................P W L D % PTS
1. SOUTH..........7 6 1 0 55.41 12
2. ADELAIDE......6 5 1 0 58.88 10
3. STURT............6 5 1 0 58.57 10
4. EAGLES..........7 5 2 0 54.55 10
5. CENTRAL........6 3 3 0 55.15 6
6. NORTH.......... 7 3 4 0 48.01 6
7. GLENELG.......7 2 5 0 50.44 4
8. PORT............. 7 2 5 0 45.17 4
9. NORWOOD...6 2 4 0 43.78 4
10. WEST............7 0 7 0 33.72 0
by therisingblues
Sat May 14, 2016 8:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R6: Sturt v Port - Sunday 1 May @ Peter Motley Oval

amber_fluid wrote:The sooner they change their name to the Power reserves the better.
Remove any last association to the Magpies to preserve the once great club!

This.
An example of blatant AFL arrogance.
A worthy opponent turned into a shell.
by therisingblues
Tue May 03, 2016 2:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Wow.
This is simply astounding.
The SANFL will just be Port v Crows every week in years to come
Yes. This is correct.
We could just form up a team to play them each week, and then disband until it is time to play them again for as much as they care. What happens to the league the very minute they have left the field is none of their concern, as long as they have an opponent to practice with week after week. The only thing that would bother them about that arrangement is that they would prefer stiffer opposition than what would be provided by teams that only play once every 5 weeks.
Irony is though, that they wanted the SANFL because of the quality of the competition, which was enabled by its popularity. Their presence in the competition is slowly eroding that popularity away, and the standard would most definitely fall as a response.
Then what will they do?
Would have been better if they just bypassed the SANFL league to begin with and just gone straight to the SANFL reserves. Because that's the standard they will be left with once their GAF attitude about the integrity of the competition finally takes its toll.

They're like the damn aliens out of that Independence Day movie, who go around sucking all the goodness out of whatever world they encounter, and then just move on once that world perishes and has nothing left to offer.
by therisingblues
Tue May 17, 2016 8:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R9: Port v South - Sunday 22 May @ Alberton Oval

You're free to do whatever you want JTC, but I seriously believe that what has happened to the Magpies is a disgrace.
I have been a real believer in their continued existence in the SANFL but they're a shell now. I'd rather they die off than endure this zombie like incarnation. They are currently a club without heart, nor tradition. You'll find those things in abundance down at Pantherland. The contrast is more extreme when you consider their respective stances on the AFL reserves issue. Good v evil IMO.
Doing it for South Australia is tongue in cheek, but I thought people would get that.
by therisingblues
Sat May 21, 2016 11:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R9: Port v South - Sunday 22 May @ Alberton Oval

Cats eat birds.
Let's hope the Panthers will be shitting black and white feathers after this one.
Classic good v evil. Tradition v plastic. Heart v money.
Whatever dichotomy through which to view this one, South Adelaide come up looking like a well polished, smooth running Rolls Royce against a clunky, shit-box jeep.
Come on Panthers! Do it for South Australia. 8)
by therisingblues
Sat May 21, 2016 12:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It must be getting to me too.
Six weeks in Europe and I didn't even bother to check the teams or the scores on those few occasions when I had wifi access.
(Mostly staying outside the big cities.)
What?!
That's it?
No sipping expensive cappuccinos made from rare Akamazooka beans imported from Zimbabwe at a beautiful café known only to the locals in a little Hamlet nestled in the Swiss Alps, and communicating with the waiter in a pastiche of Romansche, Italian and German.
Slipping Psyber, slipping.... ;)
by therisingblues
Thu May 26, 2016 2:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: FREE ADMISSION to State Game

The 4,000 crow reserves supporters will turn up
Well if you read through the North v Sturt match thread, it appears that North and Sturt supporters tend to be counted roughly two thirds of the time. Then, reading through just about any thread pertaining to a ravens or Power game, those types of supporters tend to get counted 1.5 to double the actual number.
So if a 1000 Sturt/North fans turn up we'd expect a count of about 650. But we could boost that number by having 650 ravens fans ( :lol: I can't believe I just typed that! 650 ravens fans! Like there's ever going to be a situation where that happens . Oh **** I need the smiley that rolls around laughing... :D I can't finish typing.... 650 ... I can't finish
by therisingblues
Fri May 27, 2016 5:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Full 2016 SANFL Draw

I much preferred it when we played our GF after the AFL one, gave it a bit of clean air, now it's lost amongst AFL prelim hype
And the AFL pointeth with thine biggeth finger:
"Thou shalt not have thine place in the sun!"
Next, AFL spoke unto the People:
"Thou shalt not watcheth SANFL!"
Next AFL waved thine hands:
"Release the Clowns!"
by therisingblues
Sat May 28, 2016 11:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R10 - Sturt v Adelaide @ Unley Oval Sat

Great game, great crowd, great atmosphere, awesome result!

It's nice to have a team to hate as much as Port...

Fantastic effort by Sturt today. They just didn't give up. Martin, Riley, Kirkwood, F Evans, Lienert and Crocker were all brilliant. Evans' goal from the south western pocket was a ripper!

Proved today that we are genuine contenders...
To hold the Ravens to 10-ish goals is a pretty fair effort considering the AFL laden side they apparently (going by other posters, I wouldn't know a Crows AFL player if I tripped over one) put on the park today. Not entirely surprising as Sturt are proving to be very good defensive side this year, and they certainly seem to know how to play their home ground to good effect. My team found that out the hard way.

Ravens now knocked down to fifth, about five goals behind Centrals on percentage. Sturt confirming themselves as a benchmark this year.

For what it's worth, not sure I agree with you re "hate" comparison - for reasons best left to another thread - but to each their own I guess.

Saw a bit of the live Youtube ("Sairnfull" - grrrh!) stream on a good size screen via X-Box and was pretty impressed with the video quality. I look forward to the League putting more promotion into this. That said, a bit of added exposure for more of the traditional sides, ie, those not necessarily already getting more than their fair share on C7, would be nice also.

I think they had the most afl players in this side to date. They looked bigger and faster early on but sturt grind em down.
That's how I saw it too Jim.
Ravens got a two goal to nothing lead early, before we started getting it back. I actually missed the opening five minutes so not sure how it was early.
I thought Osborn was an obvious big presence on the field for us in ruck. Well coordinated for such a large framed tall fella, and his presence in many marking competitions was a huge bonus. I especially liked the way he attempted to be a link up man in handball chains where fast hands were of the essence; the thing here is that he is having a full on go at playing his part.
The next thing I noticed is how Sturt did so many of the little things well, players who had no chance of stopping a disposal, played the situation smart, and just made it difficult to dispose with ease. This gave the next player down the line more of a chance, and the percentage of turn overs through pressure were high. When we had the ball we fought bloody hard to keep it. I don't remember seeing a Sturt side using such intensity to hang on to the pill, and failing that, just being able to control where/how the opposition is able to use it.
A couple of stand out moments were provided by Riley, Kirkwood and I loved the way Hone showed a bit of toe to run around the Raven's defender midway through the last quarter. He could have held on to it and steadied with a couple more steps, he had the defender beaten. The best that raven could do was a desperate dive for little than just a momentary hand hold of the Guernsey, which as it turns out, might have been enough to rush the kick, but I really like the way Hone is coming along.
The way Sturt cleaned up that rushed kick, I thought epitomised the way we played. It went virtually straight to a raven, who was set upon immediately, then had his options shut down. What would have been an easy clearance against last year's Sturt side, was today quickly turned into a disputed ball, and returned to safe Blue hands. The team's belief and confidence was worth a couple of goals out there today, and as spectators we are beginning to have strong expectations of how particular situations play out on the field.
Anyway, it was a great win and I wanted to just mention a couple of those things that hadn't been commented on already.
Port at Alberton next week. Another practice squad, and who they put on the field against us is dependant on how another team of 21 players performs against Collingwood tomorrow, how their top echelon players recover and who gets injured. A bit of a roulette spin, but we need the two points and we have to keep winning to stay clear of the pack. In an 18 round season each win should be worth a little more than usual.
by therisingblues
Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R10 - Sturt v Adelaide @ Unley Oval Sat

It's pretty short sighted and really rather insulting to suggest the guys who played for Adelaide weren't trying. Guarantee every one of them gave what they could. Sturt have had a fantastic and perhaps vital win, so let's not cheapen it with some more of the paranoia regarding AFL reserves. We have a whole thread for that nonsense.
Definitely relevant discussion IMO.
I would rather not have a discussion about our right to have such a discussion. I would rather just have the discussion itself.
We could discuss my opinion that the discussion about the discussion should not be even entertained, and then this thread will turn into the other thread for sure.
But after such an important win against a side famous for resting players at the wrong time, the discussion is inevitable.
So let's discuss it.
by therisingblues
Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Save the Tigers

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:$200,000 interest per year

Shit this campaign must be working!
It was $220 million just a few hours ago! :shock:
by therisingblues
Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

OI!!! LPH!!!!
MIGHTY TIGER DID NOT HEAR YOUR CALL ON THE RADIO!!!!!

There you are MT79 mate, you just got to speak up, ;)
by therisingblues
Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Save the Tigers

:lol:
Ol' Booney!?
Ridiculed and laughed at us all for protesting the reserves application to enter our league. Said it'll never happen!
Now his line is we should all just suck it up and accept it!
Now the comp lays bleeding as a result of this stupid acceptance of the practice squads, what do you suggest we do to fix it?
by therisingblues
Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R11 - Sturt V Port Reserves @ Unley

Osborn is a huge loss for us this week. His presence in aerial battles is very important and will be missed, although it'll be a good chance for Parrella to step up.
Port took the game right up to the Tigers last week, and Sturt would be getting targeted as we are top of the tree ATM.
Go into this one lightly and Port on their home ground could topple the Double Blues.
Going back three years a game like this would attract 5,000. Not sure how many they'll get this week. Perhaps 2,461.
by therisingblues
Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Heirachy

Maybe install somebody who doesn't so obviously hate the SANFL would be good...
by therisingblues
Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R11 - Sturt V Port Reserves @ Alberton

Like always there was still some of the Magpies faithful there and the people who have always supported the Power and Magpies equally but now most are just Power nuffies.

Just something from yesterday that will entertain a few on here- My sister (genuine Power nuffie) and a girl we know (brother's ex) who's boyfriend, Ciaran Hollingworth-Hughes played his first league game for this Season. He is from Whyalla and they were talking about how Port has no zone anymore and how much that sucks that guys from there can't come to play for Port anymore. They also talked how Ciaran can't get a regular league game and how frustrating that is for him because the Power players get preference. My sister asked me about it and I said you don't even want to get me started on the reserves debate, all I said was well these are the sorts of things that happen when Port Adelaide decided the Magpies will be the Power reserves.

We had Ben Sawford sitting with us, he's a good mate of my brother and mum absolutely loves him, as we know he's now at Glenelg. My sister said to him it sucks that he had to leave Port and wishes he was still playing for them, I butted in and said well Sawf had to leave here if he was get anywhere with his football. He'll be wasting his time playing in an Academy team, we all know he's too good for that. The move to Glenelg is paying off for him.

To be fair:
1. Port wanted to keep the development zones or at least a portion of them, but cake and eating doesn't go together apparently. Norwood and the Eagles are enjoying the result of that, although the fans don't like the shift from their own 'traditional' zones. The club was prepared to give up the lot to follow the Crows into the reserves set up and that's what happened, but at least it had a crack at eating that cake.
2. Anyone who signed up as one of the top ups surely could not reasonably have expected to have significant league time if the Power had few injuries and suspensions; if they did expect to regularly get games when say 18 Power players are in the 21 week in week out, they'd have to be a bit dim. They had the opportunity to try out for other clubs (perhaps most of them did and didn't make it) and for whatever reason decided to take the top up offer. I'm sure the likes of Sawford, Haren, Johansesn, Bruggerman etc don't regret their time there, as it looks like it helped them get to other clubs and regularly play at league level. A character building experience perhaps.

Edit: And plenty of top ups playing lately. Maybe clubs would be circling for their services and good luck to them if they want to leave and earn a few more pesos in the process.
Or you could have not become a reserves side and kept your zones, your players, character, supporter base, soul, etc...
by therisingblues
Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 938

Just checked - that 1999 match between South and Centrals had 950 in attendance.

Almost every crowd figure under 1100 in the 2000s and beyond have been at Noarlunga.

Unfortunately, Channel 7 made it quite an easy decision for a lot of Magpies/Power supporters.

If nothing has grabbed the SANFL's attention regarding the deteriorating crowds, hopefully this will.

I understand the SANFL is determined to have matches shown on Channel 7's main channel, but this type of scheduling isn't good. If this match had been played tomorrow and been on TV (and Glenelg-Sturt played today at the Bay), then you're looking at at least 1,200-1,300 straight away. That's not great, but there's something symbolic about a three-figure crowd number.

You make a good point and it could be any side that had a low turn-out. The scheduling of a game just before a Port Power direct telecast has hurt South badly. With Channel 7 giving a direct telecast of the SANFL was always going to be bad. Probably good for ratings although most PA supporters would have turned it off with South belting them. Did the SANFL program the Port Reserves and Adelaide Crows byes to coincide with the AFL sides byes. Convenient.
The SANFL needs to become its own master and do what is best for its own clubs.
Good point.
I imagine that Power fans would have suddenly remembered that they have a reserves side if it was programmed during the bye. Likewise, the ravens might have got more than their usual handful had they been scheduled to play during the Crows bye.
A classic case of deliberately ignoring what's best for the SANFL.
by therisingblues
Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Not surprising really, Channel 7 and the SANFL made it almost impossible for Port fans to head to Noarlunga. Live against the gate followed by the AFL almost immediately after, what did they expect?

The extra "exposure" the C7 deal creates is clearly at the expense of the SANFL and the clubs. On Saturday it cost the SANFL and South to keep people out of the place. Paid for the TV deal and people stay away....good going!

Having said all that, shows the challenges South face, nice day, big night at the club, historic event and a home match that was always going to be very hard to lose and under 1000 people. Surely even a poor South supporter turn out would be 1000+ on their own?
Spot on Booney.
Now that the Magpies are nothing more than a reserves outfit, their needs, and by extension the needs of the SANFL, will ALWAYS run secondary to that of the Power in that club's eyes. If the administrations can't create circumstances that keep the priorities clearly separate then Port will choose the course of action that favours their AFL version of the club. A more concrete reason for them being kicked out of the SANFL forthwith you will not find.
by therisingblues
Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R13 - WWT Eagles v South @ Woody Oval

Huge game for both clubs. The premiership ladder tells the story:

1. STURT......... 10 9 1 57.73 18
2. SOUTH........ 10 8 2 54.50 16
3. EAGLES......... 9 7 2 59.09 14
4. ADELAIDE...... 9 6 3 56.59 12
5. CENTRAL....... 10 6 4 53.50 12
6. NORTH.......... 11 4 7 49.23 8
7. GLENELG ......10 3 7 48.09 6
8. PORT .............11 3 8 46.10 6
9. NORWOOD... 10 3 7 42.47 6
10. WEST............ 10 1 9 36.27 2

Apart from losses against abnormally loaded reserves sides, the top three has only lost to each other. This game is definitely an important one so far as top spot is concerned. I think the Eagles are the goods atm, and should be too good for South on their home deck. With their massive percentage and games in hand, they are looking very dangerous as we go into the second half of the year.
South on the other hand are in unchartered territory. When was the last time they were so high on the ladder, so late in the season? I think they had a good year once during the 90's, before that, I think in about 1981 or so they finished third? In my age addled memory this is their best year since 1979 when they finished top IIRC.
Deserving of a massive crowd, will possibly get mid 2000s.
by therisingblues
Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R13 - Central v Adelaide @ Elizabeth

FINAL SCORE
Central 17:8-110
Ravens 8:7-55
by therisingblues
Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well I know that I was once a passionate Crows supporter in the AFL but as an Eagles supporter I have had no interest in the Crows or Port using the SANFL as practice and although I like to see the Crows win in the AFL my actual supporter has very much diminished
In fact I and my wife deliberately refuse to attend matches when the Eagles play AFL intruder teams
I was a Crows supporter up until the moment they began pushing so hard to get into the SANFL, then I began losing interest. When they finally succeeded I lost all interest whatsoever in them. I felt no connection with them culturally, and more significantly, I was unable to think of them as anything but the enemy. So I switched back to my childhood team of Carlton. It has been very liberating actually, i could stomach them in the beginning, but aside from their complete disregard for the comp that birthed them, their stupid lollypop, 19th man, scoreboard telling them when to cheer, playing at a bloody "Crowval" (FFS, really... ) , there's no way known i could tolerate all that shit.
by therisingblues
Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R13 - Sturt v Norwood @ Unley Sunday

I'd say the crowd is about 3,500 plus. Grandstands are half full, which is a definite sign of a good crowd at Unley.
Norwood looked a lot more confident that quarter, their work in the center was more effective. Sturt's skills in defence fell away, possibly as a result.
Stood in amongst a group of Norwood supporters in the first quarter. Some of the things they wanted holding the ball for made me laugh.
by therisingblues
Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: No footy again next week for me and my team

I heard the AFL types on MMM complaining about the "on going bye" in the AFL, suggesting that "everyone is sick of it" and asking. "what is the AFL going to do?". Funny how 1 bye in the AFL season is so intolerable yet we're meant to be happy with 5. I'd love the AFL to have 5 byes, there'd be complete media anarchy. :lol:
by therisingblues
Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL teams to stay, clubs to receive $250k this year - Ol

However, as the SANFL takes on the challenge of managing its fixture around the AFL program, Olsen did warn the clubs against blaming the Adelaide Oval phenomenon for disappointing crowd figures at state league games in Adelaide’s suburbia.

“Rather than blame Adelaide Oval for drawing fans to the AFL games, we need to embrace the Oval - more so when 75 per cent of the revenue the Oval generates for the SANFL goes to game development,” in what is now a serious business.”
Blaming Adelaide Oval? Dude we have a hundred plus page thread screaming that the reason for falling crowds is the inclusion of reserves teams in the competition. AREN'T YOU LISTENING?
by therisingblues
Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Look at what I quoted you saying. The essence is the same. Attacking people for their futility of opposing the reserves; what is it that actually boils down to if not; "Give it up guys, you've lost, just put up with it"?

My answer at the moment is nothing more than get the word out that the majority are not happy with the reserves situation. I find most AFL types have no knowledge of how genuine followers of the SANFL feel about this. Using comparisons with their own competition should help to bring the message home. I note that there are many in the media preaching the goodness of having the reserves in the SANFL, a lot of people that try to voice opposition on air find themselves talked over, getting dumped, or refused. I reckon you'd need to be pretty well prepared with your facts to give them a run on the radio. They usually will just quote the last game where the Ravens got an above average crowd then say, "Yeah thanks Jonno, next caller!" There have been a few exceptions, LPH being one, but for most of us this board is our forum to voice discontent.
by therisingblues
Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's been aired on here before ; "I'm not going to support the competition anymore, I'm not going to games".

Crowds numbers fall..."Look, crowds are down!"

It's clear the AFL reserves sides aren't going anywhere, the SANFL today is not what it used to be, it's now up to the people who support it to decide what it becomes. If people walk away altogether and don't support it....then predictions of "doomed" aren't overly Nostradamus like.

If people choose to keep supporting their club, in the SANFL, then it should remain as it is now. Different, but it's still your club.

Well I guess you wouldn't need Nostradamus to tell you that those people who openly stated that they wouldn't go to games anymore, and are no longer going, are representative of the other thousand odd who are no longer attending?
Your constant line is we should just put up with whatever injustice that is inflicted on the SANFL, regardless of whether we like it or not.
At what point would the tarps have come out had the Power been put through what we are going through? Would you still follow the Power had they accepted a deal whereby they got paid billions to keep various American athletes "competition fit" by running around in a Power Guernsey against sides like Collingwood and West Coast for premiership points?
by therisingblues
Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R15 - Adelaide v Sturt @ Thebby

Nice to see Sturt become complete "sell outs" to the AFL.

No crows home games ever .... But the goal posts change for this game.

Pathetic IMO
Do the Crows train at Thebby? It's a home game to the Crows in name only. They are as familiar with the oval as Sturt is, so neutral would more accurately describe it in reality.
Neutral venue where the Ravens foot the bill and Sturt take the profits, as I understand it.
If it was played at Football Park no. 2 or wherever it is they call home, or carry some sort of advantage over a visiting side, that'd be a different story.
I'm struggling to see where the"sell-out" line has been crossed here. On the contrary it's nice to have Thebby used again. If the SANFL could get over the "must have 18 round" policy, it'd be good for Thebby to be the neutral venue.
by therisingblues
Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Look at what I quoted you saying. The essence is the same. Attacking people for their futility of opposing the reserves; what is it that actually boils down to if not; "Give it up guys, you've lost, just put up with it"?

My answer at the moment is nothing more than get the word out that the majority are not happy with the reserves situation. I find most AFL types have no knowledge of how genuine followers of the SANFL feel about this . Using comparisons with their own competition should help to bring the message home. I note that there are many in the media preaching the goodness of having the reserves in the SANFL, a lot of people that try to voice opposition on air find themselves talked over, getting dumped, or refused. I reckon you'd need to be pretty well prepared with your facts to give them a run on the radio. They usually will just quote the last game where the Ravens got an above average crowd then say, "Yeah thanks Jonno, next caller!" There have been a few exceptions, LPH being one, but for most of us this board is our forum to voice discontent.

If you're going to oppose something then come up with an alternative, come up with the fix, don't just moan about it not being what you want it to be. Propose a fix. What have you proposed, more moaning?

"AFL followers" don't know about the SANFL discontent as they don't give a flying, that's why the SANFL is where it is.

Clearly the SANFL are set on having the AFL reserves sides in the competition, they don't believe they can afford to lose them. Meanwhile common sense is in the other room and TV rights for a shit deal are costing huge amounts.
Booney, the day I stop moaning on here about it, will be the day I've given up on the league altogether.you might have noticed that the only time this board lights up these days is in response to crap media statements made in favour of the reserves issue or similar. Obviously the last thing left.for many people in the face of this blatant injustice, is moaning about it. Truth is we can't think about our once great comp.without noticing there's two pretend sides in it.
I also don't take it as a given that the reserves will never leave. What Olsen has offered is just fluff. Weasel words and the like. Best league, envy of Australia, reserves are here for good, without a word on why or how. No substance, just political bullshit aimed at shutting up opponents. We must therefore be achieving something if he wants us to shut up about it. I for one will continue to whinge and moan, and state my opposition. It helps clean my soul.
If someone is able to explain how the current situation is actually a greater good than harm, I might change my tune. But thus far no organization has addressed the negatives while explaining how the good outweighs them. All we get is meaningless weasel words designed to dodge the real issues.
by therisingblues
Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R16 - Norwood v North @ Norwood Sunday

johntheclaret wrote:Roosters all the way
North by a lazy 40-45 points

After following your tips from this round JTC, I'll personally buy you a beer at the end of the year if you never tip Sturt again.
;)
by therisingblues
Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R18 - Who Cares Cup @ Alberton Sunday

Me too, they always ask too much toupee.
by therisingblues
Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Did it get harder to start a thread recently?

*Edit*

Nope, it remains pretty ******* easy. :D

Why don't people download the SANFL app on your phone. Then you can get the live scores without having to go on the SAFOOTY website to find out the scores!!! Pretty sure most people have a mobile phone
Sometimes it's good to see all 4 scores at the same time. If you're just following the one game the SANFL site is good. I like the comments on the game day thread also.
by therisingblues
Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What The F***

As long as they fit the bill, I don't mind.
by therisingblues
Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kids Eating Habits

Oops, my mistake. I should altar my spelling!
by therisingblues
Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R18 - North v Central @ Prospect

And thus the discussion about through which gate the Central supporters entered, and their chosen mode of transport, came to an end.
by therisingblues
Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Best and Worst of 2016

But a player kicking into the forward line shouldn't be penalised for kicking at goals.
I'd be happy to see the rule abandoned for attacking sides inside 50.
Well what's your take on the OOB on the full rule? How many times have players missed the whole lot while kicking at goals?
You are still thinking intent , which is based on guesswork, making the umpire's job harder and pissing off everyone watching and participating in the game. I maintain that a rule based on the effective execution of a skill is much better. It shouldn't just be that "he's kicking at goals, give him a break", it should be "sucked in buddy, learn to kick!".
Under the present rules a player shooting at goal, whose kick turns out shit, and it dribbles OOB, obviously didn't put it out intentionally. I won't argue with that. I am saying it is a much better system when the question of intent is bypassed, then we can say goodbye to inconsistencies and won't need to employ psychics to umpire games.
by therisingblues
Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kids Eating Habits

I hate it when bakeries put CORN in their CORNISH PASTIES!!! If ever there was a food that did not belong in a pasty it is CORN!
by therisingblues
Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Census 2016.

I read only 1.6 million have completed it out of 16 million. Shouldn't those people win a t-shirt or something? "I completed the census on time." It would say.
by therisingblues
Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R20 - Norwood v Ravens @ Norwood

Maybe someone should dust off* Eric?

Should happen, roll it out across the barren outer seats while the Ravens are playing and get it on TV.
On second thoughts, I'd bet security would refuse to let Eric enter the ground, as I'd guess he's pretty hard to conceal?
Trojan horse?
So we put Eric inside a giant Apricot slice, leave it outside the gates, then say in a loud voice, "Okay, we are going now!".
The ravens will then hastily rush the giant Apricot slice inside the gates, congratulating each other on the foolishness of regular SANFL fans, leaving such a delicious looking Apricot slice within reach. Then, as they head off to get the paper plates and forks, Eric leaps out of the Apricot slice, throws open the gates, then we storm the ravens' strong-hold, shouting our slogans in front of the cameras, waving Eric about whenever a goal is kicked. Those ravens ninnys will have no idea what to do.
I like it.
by therisingblues
Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You are not authorised to read this forum.
by therisingblues
Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port Adelaide 2016

One reason why non port fans don't follow port
I hope they find out who she is and does get banned for life .
Same thing for the feral little kid swearing and giving betts the finger .
Ban them for life

LMAO. My mate (Crows fan) almost had his head punched in by a fellow Crows fan at the Cats v Cows game because the pingers were wearing off. Ridiculous comment Micky, all clubs have their feral fans.

regards,

REB
I laughed at the grandma they showed in the live shot, she points at about three or four of the crows, including Eddie, mouthing off angrily the whole time, then makes this gesture that they could all just **** off, and her lips seemed to be forming those words too. She looked like one of the better balanced individuals you'll see milling about Alberton.
Reminds me a lot of the day McDermott slid into the fence at Alberton and the grandma leaned over and hit him with her brolly. Complete different breed of peole down that way. The byproduct of that cuture is the harshest grandmas in Australia.
by therisingblues
Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port Adelaide 2016

Good on the Power for being pro-active about it. That was pretty fast IMO.
by therisingblues
Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |