Search found 354 matches

Return

Re: R21 - Port v Norwood @ Alberton

It looks as though you're gong for a"one size fits all policy" there Matt, whereas I just thought that this particular instance of Booney trashing Norwood's effort and insinuating that Port took the foot off the pedal, then reversing that opinion when called out on the obvious implications, was v funny. Mainly because it was Booney and i wouldn't think he'd usually make so elementary an error.
Yes I'm well aware you're of the view that the reserves try hard and blahdee blah blah blah.
by therisingblues
Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

lol yep it was all the crows supporters fault!
And if a newer, stronger, entity were to treat the AFL and the Crows the same way you have treated this league, you would see things differently.
But history tells us that 85% of you would actually jump on board the new entity . That would happen after 90% of you oppose the formation new entity.
If you don't know what I'm talking about, you're either under the age of 35 or have a very bad memory. I just described SA football culture prior to and after the formation of the Crows in the early 90s.
by therisingblues
Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

lol yep it was all the crows supporters fault!
And if a newer, stronger, entity were to treat the AFL and the Crows the same way you have treated this league, you would see things differently.
But history tells us that 85% of you would actually jump on board the new entity . That would happen after 90% of you oppose the formation new entity.
If you don't know what I'm talking about, you're either under the age of 35 or have a very bad memory. I just described SA football culture prior to and after the formation of the Crows in the early 90s.

If I am reading between your lines correctly, are you saying that us Crows supporters jumped to the Crows from our previous SANFL clubs and abandoned them and we Crows supporters were opposed to Port entering the AFL. Correct?

I was 13 at the time so my memory is not 100% of the workings of 1990 but I still am a West Adelaide supporter, but I also support the Crows in the AFL as I previously didn't have a team. Not allowed to support both?
For the record, I support West over the Crows ressies also. Hope that passes the grade.
SANFL fans were opposed to any club from SA joining the AFL. The old Adelaide Daily News and the Advertiser used to run surveys and they usually came back 90% opposed, this was in spite of various media trying to tell us how great it would be.
When Port threw their hat in the ring there was a majority shift in opinion towards any side but Port entering, and many fans saw the writing on the wall. A composite entry gained momentum then.
The AFL and Ravens do what they want because their market is only interested in the best outcome for themselves. There are only about 8,000 fans that attend 4 matches in a SANFL round (that figure was about 12,000 just 4 seasons ago), and probably 75% of them (at least) hate the reserves entries. It is so easy to ignore the feelings of so few when you're not in that boat, but 90% of Crows fans felt the same way we do now according to those media surveys conducted prior to Port's bid.
Part of what I am trying to say is that the way footy is packaged now makes it ephemeral. If a bigger, more sparkly, entity came along Crows and Power fans would jump on that, but only after voicing their opposition to the new, bigger, more sparkly thing.
To me, and I reckon many others on here feel the same, that makes the sport meaningless. It's ephemeral, with one strong breeze it is all blown away, and the fickle masses switch onto whatever it is the corporations feed us.
by therisingblues
Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Depends on your perspective Spangas.
Just assuming that you were a Fitzroy fan, you would have had your toy taken away. You would also have been opposed, unless of course you are a Queenslander.
I was speaking from the perspective of SANFL.
by therisingblues
Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Centrals V Adelaide Saturday September 3 12:10

Is there a football League in Australia where Ellis-Yolmen wouldn't have gotten a permit in similar circumstances? I mean 2 games at the "higher" level and 18 in the "lower"?

Seems pretty cut and dry.
But it's okay for Seedsman to play, where the situation is reversed?
Which way do you want it? If the rule is wrong it should be disputed at the beginning. Picking which rule you'll abide by to suit particular situations? Come on!
by therisingblues
Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I always picture Ralph Wiggum when people mention the 19th man.
Now that you mention it, yes, and he's wearing a Crows Guernsey with 19 on the back tucked into an oversized pair of shorts up to his chest. He's also at pains to understand why there are so many Western Bulldogs fans at the game, and wants to know where security is, because isn't there some rule that apart from showdowns only a handful of opposition fans can get in?
by therisingblues
Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Crows by 72 points

Barmby and Holman to get reported

What the lowest ever crowd to a SANFL final

With two of the northern suburbs biggest amateur clubs in grand finals on Saturday plus a small Crows crowd could be embarrassing
I actually think Crows will turn out in force. This'd hold the novelty value of a slow-down potentially. I really hope regular SANFL fans get down there and back the Doggies in.
by therisingblues
Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think we can safely say crowds won't go down without AFL sides when you look at the crowds we got 3 years ago. Thinking they'd go down is crazy, 300 per game is ludicrous.
I agree. But even if it were to happen, I'd rather have that, than the mess atm.

Can't be so sure.

Look what happened in and around the 1990's, people were lost to the SANFL as they were drawn to the AFL. Have they come back? Some might have, some might not, they've moved onto either the AFL or other pastime.

Because of the AFL reserves inclusion people have been lost to the SANFL, will they return? Perhaps, perhaps not, perhaps an 8 team "pure" competition will mean more people walk away, who can tell?

Again, I was saving matt hundreds of posts by summing up the overall sentiment of most on here and your comments above back that up.
You might have quoted the wrong part of my post, but I'll answer anyway.
Yes, I am sure I'd take a drop in crowds as opposed to the current mess. Speculation about crowds returning is another issue which isn't included in that quote, but I believe a comp without reserves would encourage the return of crowds. Especially if the SANFL showed some Max Basheer balls and went on the front foot promoting a competition with integrity.
I don't speak for the majority, I often find my views are definitely out of kilter with the majority, but I believe that difference makes us stronger, maybe that's one of the reasons I am not completely sold on the AFL. So I think RB's post is valid as a reflection of how he read your post. You and I are having a different conversation though.
by therisingblues
Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Why is it ridiculous to have a dig at a side that hasn't had to work hard to get where they are?

Today was an example of how piss weak Crows supporters are. No AFL on and they couldn't even be bothered to show up and the ones that did show up were so pathetically quiet it was embarrassing.

maybe most still follow an sanfl club, ever thought of that??
...which means no one is really interested in the Ravens.
Ever thought of that? Talk about missing the point. :lol:
by therisingblues
Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I get that, but how do you expect to get more people along when they read some of the comments on this forum?
Comprehension of this discontent makes it harder for the reserves to remain. The Ravens, Central game has proved to be a watershed. Mr and Mrs Mainstream is finally sitting up and taking notice. The other side's spin doctors are currently at work. We'd be fools to suddenly stop now. Remember, this is truthfully how we feel, suddenly that seems to be worth something.
by therisingblues
Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The point is that this bloke bothered to dress up in is best footy gear and colours and feel this stongly about what I was doing that he was angry (obviously a Crows AFL supporter) - this debate is confused and it's sad.
Yes, very sad.
Standing with your Central scarfe raised above your head, as the Ravens leave the ground is now not to be tolerated?
by therisingblues
Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

cennals05 wrote:It's ok guys, the TV ratings were good. The League is saved.

Now we just need thirty thousand TV sets placed around the ground to add to the atmosphere, each telecasting an image of the people watching at home.
by therisingblues
Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

1. The AFL has a fully national reserves comp.

Whilst many valid points they all fall down around this one.

There is no way that the AFL will fund a national reserves competition now that it has the NEAFL, VFL, WAFL and SANFL serving this very purpose ( giving the left over AFL listed players a game ) without costing the AFL a cent.

The NEAFL is completely controlled by the AFL, you could argue the VFL and WAFL is too and ( watch them jump on this ) the SANFL is JUST standing on it's own two feet..... JUST .
Back in the good old days, about 5 years ago, one of the main thing s loved about the SANFL is that it wasn't the AFL.
The closer it gets to that circus the more crap it is.
AFL is good for those people that love it. I just wish to hell they'd stay out of our competition. Most of the users on here, indeed most who attended games, loved it for its independence. Those that loved that aspect were the first to jump ship when the reserves came in. Since the mid 80s the competition has been under constant attack for not being the AFL.
I fear what you've written there Booney is very close to the truth.
by therisingblues
Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Jars most likely spoke to Triple M management and told to fire up the switchboard by making his statements about Crows in SANFL.

Gets people from both sides all up in arms frantically rushing to their phones ..... Advertisers love it !!!

Probably just a big PR stunt !!!

Can never please you guys
Southee speaks for himself. I like reading his view though, he might have a point. If he's proved correct later and I was wrong to get excited about this seeming support we are getting I will not be digging my heels in and denying it either.
What you do is you take all views on board, you weigh them up and try to make out what you think the truth of the matter will be. Sometimes that's a difficult thing to do, but you must have an open mind.
If I am reading you right, you seem to be suggesting that we should all just shut up and accept the reserves, in spite of the fact that we hate the competition being used as a practice resource for another league, and that attendances have fallen, and media coverage been reduced since the inception of the reserves, that the fixture is now a comedy of errors with too many byes and funny time slots all to satisfy the intruders, that we cannot play the grand final on the traditional date any longer, that these sides that have forced themselves in to our league have almost no supporters of their own, that they play by a different set of rules to the rest of the league, that they just coast through the year without much interest, resting players at key moments in matches because they are required for AFL duties the following week, that their coach will suddenly leave at three quarter time to watch the AFL... and obviously I could go on and on even more..... in spite of all these things which are a slap in the face of the competition we love, you think we should all just shut up.
Right?
by therisingblues
Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Here it is, from behind the Great Paywall of Murdoch. Make of it what you will. I'll say this, though: for all his spruiking, I wonder if he went on the weekend, or if he'll go this Sunday?

The Crows played Central District in the final — a side that had not only beaten them twice this year but beat them by a record 55 points in Round 13.
Central had every reason to be confident going into the game.
Is Roo the only person in this conversation that did not predict that this would be a game where the Ravens would actually TRY to win? Everybody on this board knew the Ravens need to progress in order to keep a practice squad together for the AFL team, which is also in the finals. Watch for the change in performance if the Crows get defeated by the Kangaroos

I’m not sure what Roy tried to achieve by this but it came across poorly and the SANFL felt the need to fine him as a result.
Hmmm, truthfully expressing hte dissatisfaction felt by the majority of SANFL fans perhaps?

The Crows are having their best year in the SANFL, winning twelve games and losing, seven so hardly dominating.
Hardly TRYING either

It’s no different to any other SANFL side having an injury-free year. When you do, your team goes well. When you don’t, they don’t play so well.
South Adelaide, unfortunately, has injuries to several of its best players this week ... is that the Crows’ fault? I don’t think so.
That's not the issue, why raise it?

South has beaten the Crows twice this year like Central had. South won by 38 points against the Crows only 10 days ago. Surely they won’t have the same negative attitude as Central did.
Again, if the Ravens actually go out and TRY, they are just about unbeatable. Just shows hwo farcical their attitude has been this year that their coach leaves at 3/4 time when he feels like it, and they Comment on THAT Roo, and keep this conversation realistic!

Like Central, both of those wins were at their home ground because of the fact that every Crows match in the home and away season is an away game.
Except for the Sturt game t Thebarton, at least get your facts right

Finals, however, are played at Adelaide Oval, which is where they should be. Surely that’s where the players would want to be as well?
Even in the AFL the finals are compromised slightly. Take Geelong finishing above Hawthorn but having to “host” their final at the Hawks’ home ground the MCG on Friday night.
Why is this being mentioned?

Whether Central or other clubs agree with the Crows and Port being in the SANFL, surely it’s time to move on isn’t it?
Yes, the Crows would love that. It seems they subscribe to the maxim that the customer is wrong if they are unhappy with the product.

The SANFL made the decision and the clubs have to get on with the job. The SANFL would have thought long and hard about this decision given that it was clear that some clubs were against it.
How many times did they hold the vote before the majority of directors suddenly changed their minds? They responded "No" 2 or 3 times before a hastily arranged vote suddenly delivered a "Yes". Hmmm, nothing suspicious there, and obviously no coercing occurred whatsoever

The SANFL bosses must have thought it was in the competition’s best interest to have the AFL clubs in, otherwise they wouldn’t be.
The Crows pay each SANFL club $50,000 a year, so $400,000 total annually, just to play in the competition. That’s big money for the clubs and big money for Adelaide. Could the SANFL clubs do without it?
What about the losses, lower attendances, less media coverage of the heritage clubs, the actual payment made to Channel 7 to telecast the matches? No, I think the Ravens are costing us money

Like it or not, the SANFL has been on the decline since the Crows came in back in 1991. Just like every state-based league since the VFL turned national and became the AFL.

Crowds have been falling away since then. The Crows predicted bigger crowds but they unfortunately haven’t come. Channel 7, however, is very happy with the television numbers when they broadcast their game of the week.
The facts say different
On the weekend they had an audience of about 100,000 viewers over the two games.
Average attendances increased by 50% for the Sturt and South game. The SANFL also paid for the coverage, there was no AFL on. How is this evevn remotely a positive for the Ravens? Ridiculous!

It is crucial that the two AFL sides have reserves teams. To have them train and play together with the same coaches and gamestyle is a big winner.
Not our problem

It is also important for the SANFL itself that the AFL sides perform well, given that proceeds from AFL crowds flow through to the SANFL coffers.
Pay your dues to the competition you have usurped

But back to the SANFL finals — the rules are set , the Crows and Port are in the competition.
Oh the irony!

Let’s not get emotional about one week of footy, let’s enjoy the SANFL finals for what they are.
Not just one week, been happening for three years now. GTF out of our comp!!!!!!!!!!

Great footy at one of the best stadiums in the world with spring weather to top it off.
On thank you Crows for arranging the good weather :roll:

Let’s not focus on whether they should be there or not, three years after the decision was made.
Nothing happening here folks.... look over there instead!
by therisingblues
Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Magarey Medal

Congratulations Zane Kirkwood.
True Blue Champion!!!
by therisingblues
Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You all sit here and sook about the Crows and Port being in the SANFL and how much its ruining the SANFL and boo hoo . Seriously you all need to build a bridge. Its quite pathetic that 3 years has gone by and you still complain. !
The fact that we are still at it three years after their inception, should tell you that this is no sook.
A sook is usually over something which is revealed as trivial as those that are doing the sooking get over it so quickly.
The only way we can be assured that the Ravens are trying in finals is if their AFL grade is still alive. Just about everyone on this board predicted a Sturt win if Adelaide lost to Sydney. Fact is, we simply do not know if the Ravens tried. That's a very difficult idea to accept in a true competition, I'll complain about it for as long as the situation remains. If i did otherwise it'd mean I've given up on the SANFL altogether.
by therisingblues
Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I know from my time with an SANFL Club in recent years the players look forward to playing the Crows and Port because it gives them an opportunity to test themselves against AFL listed players.
And the first two weeks of the finals proved that a finals quality SANFL team when matched up against a fully-fledged squad of AFL standard players fails that test dismally. I'm sure the Centrals and in particular the South players love the concept right now.

The Bulldogs and Panthers were as bad as the Crows were good. Both sides did themselves no favours in their respective games. If their players had played to their best they'd have been a lot closer or maybe even won!

I think we all know that South and Central played a completely different Crows ressies side than the one Sturt came up against in their final. This included a Crows ressie side who had no interest in going further into GF which was pretty obvious in the preliminary final.

South's mistake was they should of beaten Sturt in the qualifying final.
Agreed Southee.
At the very least the Ravens had more to play for while the Crows were still participating in the AFL finals. Had Sturt dropped that game to South it may well have been the Panthers playing the Eagles this Sunday.
I in no way can look at fate and say we are any better than the hand we have been dealt. I am just enormously thankful that we have made it this far and want to put our best performance to the test of the formidable Eagles in the Grand Final. All respect to South and I am not sure to what degree the Ravens actually tried to beat us in the Preliminary.
by therisingblues
Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

My pleasure. The average IQ on this thread is pretty low, so perhaps not obvious to all...

What'll you all talk about next season when the Crows and Power 2nds fail to make the finals???

Well one of them has made it each year so far. They might both make it next year, who knows and not the main point. What some on here fail to comprehend, is this thread wasn't started after Port made the GF in 2014, or after the Crows made the finals this year. We've been talking about this, the worst decision in SANFL history, before they entered and very week since their entry.
Exactly.
Our gripe is with their very existence in our league. Any success they have while sucking the blood out of our great comp is all insult to injury. Having said that, just about ANYTHING they do while sucking the blood out of our great comp is all insult to injury. This includes not trying, resting key players mid-game for duties in another league, coaches leaving mid-game because they have better things to do, consistent lack of atmosphere, lack of support from their fans, broken promises about promotion, saturating what media space should be devoted to our great comp with boring chatter about individuals showing promise in the reserves, moving games for their convenience, ridiculous scheduling of byes to satisfy their selfish fat bellies after they have gobbled up every other benefit that dared be noticed by their greedy want-everything-all-the-time tiny little brains... and the whole bloody time we just want them to bugger off and leave the competition untainted by their gerrymandering, meddling, contriving, inconsistent and mostly ignorant tampering of the game of football.
The SANFL is a completely different shape to the hole the AFL wants to jam it in, but they are too stupid or oblivious to understand that.
by therisingblues
Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2016 Premiership Odds

I put $25 on Sturt after they lost their first game to the Eagles. I put that into the Power to miss the 8.

BS! what that pay out?
$2,350!!!
I made a series of long shot bets at the start of the year. I had India to win the World Cup, West Ham to win the FA Cup, Carlton to make the 8 and Sturt to win the flag @ $10 and a potential pay out of $89,250. I then broke it down so that if three of those legs or two or even one came in I would still collect. Altogether I spent $150 applying all the different combinations, the only one of which paid was Sturt $10 @ 31 = $310.
I love that as it had the longest odds out of the lot. :lol:
Their odds then blew out to 51/1 after the first loss to the Eagles and everyone was talking Port Power up, so I put $25 on the Sturt - flag/ Power to miss the 8 double!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
GO YOU MIGHTY BLUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by therisingblues
Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bone McDermott in today’s rag “30K turned up to the SANFL Grand Final so this should silence any critics of the Crows and Power reserves sides”.

Uses the same simplistic logic as Guru Roo.
Brother Bone is a hard-working disciple of the Guru, and his role reflects his lack of mental acuity. He accepts his intellectual limitations, and gladly demonstrates this by continually speaking and writing in public.

His prime role is to assemble the Guru's banana lounge on hot days at the West Lakes Temple. Also, the Nineteenth Man regularly uses his face as an ashtray when important guests arrive. Unfortunately for Brother Bone, so does Brother Bone.
Spot on Magellan.
He obviously is challenged by thought of any kind, but I'm forever thankful for him forcing Damien Squire away from Prospect so that he could win Magareys and make a premiership at Sturt.
I can't believe he's got a gig as a footy writer given his obvious lack of footy acumen, or writing acumen for that matter.
by therisingblues
Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

"First the bloody duck has to learn to swim while balancing a 10kg bag of bricks on its head.
Oh another dead bloody duck.
More ducks! More bricks!
I'll teach the bastards to float!"
(Chris McDermott; taken from his famous book"Teaching Ducks to Float")
by therisingblues
Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2016 SANFL Grand Final - Sunday Sep 25 (Adelaide Oval)

To be fair, 3 of 10 Grand Finals isn't what can be suggested as a good record.
Both Coaches have won 1 of 3, including 2 loses back-to-back.
I think a supporter is entitled to question if 'lessons have been learned', don't you?
Not that I care, anymore.

If you don't care - why are you commenting then?
It's possible to discuss things without an emotional attachment.
by therisingblues
Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2016 SANFL Grand Final - Sunday Sep 25 (Adelaide Oval)

Had my first partial replay of the grand final last night. Unfortunately life doesn't get any less busy because your team has won a Premiership, just the labours are borne with a grin now.

After 45 years on this Earth I witnessed my first Sturt premiership live. The last one I was in Japan. The two before that were communicated to me in a little rhyme which mentions the words "dirt" and "rub", which I took to mean that we were very good. But with the limited amount of success in my lifetime, and the experiences of 1983, and 1998 being my only other Sturt Grand Final experiences, I was very cautious about daring to feel or appear optimistic in any way. I know that Premierships are very dear things, and you cannot take them for granted.

The Eagles failed to take their opportunities in the first quarter. We had a couple of easy misses also, one went out on the full and another chance was just overcooked, but the Eagles definitely had the chance to skip away to a lead like they have in all other meetings this year.

Apart from that first stanza, Sturt had the ascendency, but only just. We showed we were able to score back to back goals during the second quarter, a feat which the Eagles were unable to perform all game. It wasn't until the final quarter when we scored three in a row that the game was truly beyond doubt, but we had some big signs that perhaps we were doing enough of the right things before then to bring home the flag.

Stephens took a number of saving, freak marks, and the smothering and one percenters by Sturt were excellent. In particular, an intercept by Leinert on the members wing in the third prevented a promising forward thrust by the Eagles.

Our kicking of set shots was very good. Early on, the players held their nerve when there were genuine chances, this was more obvious during time on in the third. What a period of the game that was! Jarrod Leinert's conversion from that position on the ground was phenomenal. You could not hit more middle with an atomic ruler that he did with that shot, a real crowd lifter, and I think a few of us Strutties were daring to believe at that stage. Then just a couple of minutes later; Kory Beard has done the old classic, shot after the three quarter time siren in a tight game! It wasn't the best looking kick that has gone through for a goal, but through it went to take us into the final break 14 points up.

The Kirkwood goal has since been overshadowed by the grief it caused Godden, but what a sensational piece of work by the champion. What a bloody gun he is! All game he showed fantastic anticipation of where players were moving to, and would deliver accordingly, that goal in the final quarter evidenced the same instinct, the dummy was effortlessly sold, and it looked like it was never going to be anything but a goal from the moment he received the pill. Very fitting that he should get at least one to his name after all the work he'd done setting up others.

I absolutely loved the moment John Greenslade charged to the 50 from the wing, taking a couple of bounces, and goaled on the run. My view was very distant from the Riverbank stand, but it was clear what was happening, you could see the paddock which had appeared in front of him as he took the handball from Hone, and I knew he had the pace and the kick to execute. It was probably then that I began to openly discuss "the Premiership" with those around me. Until then I was still cautious.

For the Eagles I have to say that Wundke is a champion. Whenever he was one out with his direct opponent, or sometimes he battled two, his skill, experience, size and strength was too much. On the replay I saw a couple of occasions where there were about three Sturt defenders forcing a stalemate against him on his own. I believe he kicked 5 goals out of the Eagles 7. Very early on he had me worried, and I knew we had to stop him somehow. I guess our good work further up the field meant that he had limited opportunities, and the delivery wasn't always as he'd have liked it. But when it did come his way, he usually took possession and his 5 goals 1 evidenced that he wasn't wasting chances.

Just picked up my Premiership T-shirts today from Nelson sports wear and was fortunate enough to have a chat with the great man himself. How great it is to have such characters as Nelson, Bagshaw, Graham, Motley and Davies about the place at Sturt, still exerting their influence, and bringing with them such a powerful winning culture.

GO YOU MIGHTY BLUES!!!!!!
by therisingblues
Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Player movement 2017

WWTFC Player/Coach situations:

Godden - Staying, not moving down the Port Rd. to Alberton.
J. Redden - Retired
L. Jarrad - Retired
P. Raymond - Retired
Von Bertouch - Studying O/S, miss at least 2017, future doubtful
Ainger - Unlikely to play on
O'Brien - Staying
Lewis - Will play on
Wundke - More than likely to play on.

The Eagles might need to do some recruiting!!

Massive, massive holes to fill. While Redden had a terrible GF he had an overall good year and was very important for his tap work and could also kick a useful goal. While Bornholm is a better player around the ground, he is too short to be that #1 ruckman in the centre square and I think that was shown during the 2014 season. He will need to be replaced.

Jarrad will obviously be missed but his retirement has been known for ages so I would assume the coaching panel have a plan in place. Raymond's retirement is a bit of a surprise but to be honest, these days he is just a useful player and I think there are a number of players who could come up from the reserves and adequately fill his spot (like Rowland).

Ainger......not a huge loss. At this best he is very good but he plays about 1 decent game in 4. And when he is off his very, very ordinary. He'd be on huge coin so hopefully the cash this will free up can be put to good use.

Obrien - bloody good news.

Lewis - I was hoping he'd retire as these days he is too fat and slow and only has the fitness to run 10mins each quarter. Godden MUST give him the ultimatium over summer. Lose 10kg or play the season in the reserves.

Wundke - Fantastic. This guy can get as fat as he wants because he keeps giving us value for money. In the last two grand finals he was clearly our best player in a losing side so stands up when needed. Hopefully he can stay fit across the season and give the Ken Farmer medal another shake during 2017.

Maybe Wundke could eat 10kg of Lewis body!!!!

Maybe the Eagles should implement a total playing list weight cap in addition to the SANFL imposed salary cap? We'd surely have to be the fattest team in the competition although I haven't really closely looked at the other clubs
A calorie cap, perhaps?
by therisingblues
Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I guess I'm just being suspicious. If this ends up being a method of squeezing another player in to the Ravens, instead of a top up, I'll have fair reason to be upset. Maybe I've jumped the gun, but I think it's fair to say they've got a history of getting a foot in the door based on one premise, then behaving against that premise, based purely on the fact that they now have a foot in the door.
I'd wager that this is not just a new title, but the precedent for squeezing better footballers into a side already teeming with dollars far beyond the SANFL cap.
Utilising a spot on the senior list to benefit the SANFL side? You honestly think that would be the sole reason behind giving Thommo a contract? To spite the SANFL and to strengthen the Crows reserves side?

I understand you don't like them in the comp, neither do I, but seriously some of the crap that gets thrown around here is ludicrous
So how did you get the idea I was saying that would be the "sole reason"?
It'd be good if you could also point out where I questioned the grounds for him being awarded a contract.
I was suggesting the potential of using this new terminology as a precedent for a new position at the Ravens. I don't think "spite" would be a motivation, but an experienced head amongst the younger, aspiring footballers on their list would surely be part of their reasoning for keeping him on, wouldn't you say?
Of course he'd also play a bit of senior footy if required. I'm wondering how far I should list, lest you accuse me of stating these would be the only things he could do. Just for the record though, that's all irrelevant to the point I was trying to make.
I'm looking forward to reading why you think this idea is representative of any suggested "crap" which apparently gets "thrown around" by posters who'd prefer the reserves were not a part of our comp, because quite honestly, I just read your post and thought "How the hell did he just imagine all that crap that I hadn't said?"
by therisingblues
Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2016 Silly Season, Trades and Rumours and utter BS

Can't believe people are saying it's a failure we didn't get Gibbs. They wanted two bloody first rounders!!

The same people would be on here saying the crows got screwed if we paid that.

Agree that as overs, but doesn't mean you couldn't work the deal around to make it attractive to Carlton...to me it sounds like it was never going to happen.
Reid is quoted in today's paper as saying that they never offered any player as part of the deal. So that means it was just pick 13 and nothing else.
by therisingblues
Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Eel hit the drink, and if he sees a barmaid he might groper.
by therisingblues
Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2017 AFL Season

That is always a consideration in this day and age for the AFL apparently. Not just the A-League, but cricket, racing etc just lose another week to the Might and Power ( ;) ) that is the AFL. As if it isn't enough to stagger/drag out all the post and pre-season "events" out like they do. I love Australian Rules footy, but not at the expense of the other sports mentioned above. Something about the golden goose...

Yes, I'm sure the AFL sit around and instead of pondering what would improve them, they simply wonder what would disrupt other sports. If the rest of the sporting calendar is so weak that it needs the AFL to give them a break then they're already in trouble.

Kidding yourself. Of course they're thinking of extending their reach as far as possible. They're in competition with all other codes/sports for the mighty dollar. If they could, they'd make them play all year. Women's comp Feb/March? No worries. The fact that a bye before finals extends the season another week would've been very much top of the "pro" list.

Lol. I think you'll find their motivation is mostly how to best expand. If that also happens to impede other codes they won't lose any sleep. Largely because it isn't their responsibility. Every one of those things you mention would have been put in place because it had benefits for the AFL and not because it hurts cricket, or rugby or soccer.
Just like Woolies and Coles?
by therisingblues
Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL starting women's league in 2017

This is probably the wrong thing to say but, will there be any dancing boys?
by therisingblues
Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Are you in too Booney?
I thought we could do "All That Jazz". The only time I am getting off my chair is to show the crowd my whoopee spot. What do ya' reckon?

I'm thinking "All the single ladies", choreography to suit. I'm Beyonce and I'm not willing to negotiate.

\nTegy6sBQVA
You bitch!
Okay, but I'm in the middle!
:lol:
by therisingblues
Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well here we go the almighty SANFL jumping on the bandwagon wanting to start a Women's comp ...... my question is where were the SANFL 25 yrs ago ..... yes some off the club had an affiliation with some SANFL clubs years ago ..... but gave little support to the teams ...... the club im involved with picked up and gave the then Sturt [SANFL] a place to play after being told they can't use the oval or facilities, .... At that time in 2005 there were only four teams ... where were you SANFL at that time ....... since them Morphettville Park Women's has grown from a struggling team to having two senior sides U/18's and U'15's all on the back off some great Female volunteers who have busted a gut for the love off the game and no financial reward, the last four years being rewarded winning the last 3 Div 1 Premierships, 2 U/18's flags, and U15's making the GF in there first year ...... My point is this is where Women's football should stay ..... At local grassroots clubs ...... The South Australian Women's Football League is doing a magnificent job working with Grassroot clubs to develop the game ...... so there is no need for the SANFL to interfere ..... Sort your own League comp out first before putting more financial burden on your own cash strapped clubs ........ and PLEASE don't come with the [ we will provide a pathway to the AFL] ..... The Women's League already do that and do it well ..... end off rant

I'm glad someone posted along these lines.
I vaguely remember a bit of media hoo-ha in the 90s about women's footy starting, aligned with SANFL clubs.
That interest withered on the vine. Clubs showed no interest beyond the naming.
Let's hope those involved do a better job of this this time around.
We all, outside of those involved in it, question the quality of play in women's game, but imagine how much better it would've been if those early steps had been supported as they are now. I think we'd be seeing a much different game and different opinions from blokes.
I think the reason it's being supported better now is that the AFL, like the church, does not guide society, but follows it. Our ideas about equality between the sexes are more entrenched now, whereas back in the 90's we were still dealing with establishing that culture. This is why the AFL is jumping on the bandwagon now, and the SANFL following it, because it's a much bigger bandwagon now. That won't stop them from spinning it so they appear almost as revolutionaries, the truth is though, that they are actually 20 years behind.
by therisingblues
Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: US

Hilarious listening to CNN sooking.
It's all over now
Whereas Trump said he wasn't going to accept the result if he didn't win, the election would've been rigged, he'd impeach the president, and encouraged people to rise up in such a case.
If it's sore losers that tickles your funny bone, you'd have wet yourself if Trump lost.
by therisingblues
Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Class War - them versus us

Psyber would make me vote Libs for the first time

Especially if in his maiden speech he referred to the fairer sex as his 'love slaves' ;)
Or just randomly retold the story of how Aphrodite the cat gave birth to sixteen kittens on his chest after a bottle of vintage Bordeaux and a good night bedding a fair maiden.
by therisingblues
Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you rate!

I can just imagine the poor bugger yelling "F@#K, F@#K, F@#K!" Over and over.
by therisingblues
Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Channeling Trump already Mr Boon? :lol:
by therisingblues
Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: US

Compulsory voting is an infringement of people's rights in the land of the free. They have talked about it before and there was a massive backlash
Not every society is a nanny state like Australia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPRfP_TEQ-g
Jimmy, you can hide just about anything behind the "right of the free".
Didn't they invade Iraq in the name of freedom?
Right to bear arms?
Wasn't there a backlash against Obamacare in the name of freedom against communism?
You'll need an argument with substance of some sort to convince me that compulsory voting is wrong, and I am assuming that you are saying it is wrong, because Australia is apparently a "Nanny state" for having it.

I forgot to put a winky face
Sorry to **** up your day
I'll get over it.
by therisingblues
Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The same philosophy used in spreading the game north of the border, meanwhile we are ignored if not punished for our 150 year devotion to the game. I understand that it is all business and all that, and there will be potential dollar payoffs for spreading the game around to as many markets as possible. The thing is, I love it because it is a sport! It would be nice to have at least one aspect of life in the 21st century not governed by how many bottles of Coke, or how many Big Macs can be sold. Strip away all the corporate crap and it really is a great sport.
Whoops, a bit of a side track there. Basically what I mean is it is great to have new converts to the game, but the existing support should be maintained, or the supply lines will be drawn too thin.
by therisingblues
Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Save the Tigers

If any of the remaining clubs fold or merge the SANFL is finished, more so if it is a club like Glenelg. There is a massive supporter base at that club, they'd fill half of Adelaide Oval on Grand Final day if their club could actually get there (No need to worry about them winning the thing :lol: ).
Too much of the character has been drained from the SANFL already with the merged entity, Port throwing in the towel and the Team for all South Australians competing with..... wait for it, other South Australian teams (For some people this idea makes sense?). The loss of another club would be too much of a blow.
by therisingblues
Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian International Summer

Faf charged by the ICC with ball tampering.
Dale Steyn has come out with the tweet:
"Beaten with the bat. Beaten with the ball. Beaten in the field. Mentally stronger, Here's a idea, Let's blame it on a lollipop?? #soft."
He then sent another tweet saying that he wasn't blaming the Aussies.
That would be like me saying that I think Steyn is a dickhead and then saying that I am not saying that he is a dickhead. But to begin gloating about how he has dominated that Aussies, and then trying to link this charge as a result of dominating the Aussies.... what is it that you are really trying to say? Dickhead!
Bravada also decided to have a go, but I am not sure what it is he said.
The charge was brought about by the ICC because they viewed footage of him allegedly breaking one of their rules. They could have been thrashed by Clive Lloyd's WIndies and the charge would still have been laid, nothing to do with how well they are performing, nor has it anything to do with the Aussies.
Be interesting to see what happens, but it looks as though the majority of the whining is coming out of the South African camp.
by therisingblues
Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Does anyone know how much (in dollars), the AFL contributes to the SANFL each year? Not the sma return, but direct contribution.

The Crows pay the $400,000 SANFL "licence" fee, if you will. Port Adelaide, recognised as a foundation member of the SANFL does not pay this fee.

Last year Port Adelaide directly contributed $1m to the SANFL coffers. This is not through the SMA etc.

$1m to SANFL coffers directly. Can you elaborate. Is this just the repayment of licence fee?

No, I can't elaborate any further. PAFC and SANFL documents just show it as a $1m contribution. No mention if it's for repaying a loan, a gift, a bribe, whatever you want to call it.
Probably returning money they stole.
;)
by therisingblues
Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Save the Tigers

MatteeG wrote:All this talk isn't helping chaps... :cry: :cry:

I think we've covered many reasons why we'd like the Tigers to survive.
by therisingblues
Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I m not looking forward to watching Leinert line up against us next year.
I enjoyed watching his old man play for Sturt, and I have watched him develop with interest. Taking the next step and becoming an AFL player is something we have learned to live with, way back in the days when Motley, Viney, Russell and co were all being drafted.
It ******* well stinks that they should line up with another SANFL side because they have been chosen to take that next step.
How the hell are we supposed to react on the terraces where Leinert tears it up fo rthe Magpies at Unley? Can't hate the man, he's one of ours! The only reason he's at Port is to have a chance to play AFL. Do we give him a polite golf clap then? Do we treat the game as a meaningless exhibition whose only real purpose is to develop those reserves palyers out on the park?
******* Port and Crows are ******* stinkers for pushing this reserves agenda through.
Anyone who doesn't feel the same basically has no passion for the SANFL.
by therisingblues
Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I attended a SANFL game at Alberton last season and it was a dingy, almost mournful atmosphere. Clearly support for the Magpies continues to drain away despite whatever spin KT puts on it. Perhaps in this economic climate support only carries so far. That would be the kind interpretation of the Magpies state. Given the 'system' though they are stacked well for talent and South Adelaide have taken a massive hit. I hope Eddy and Leinert get a go at the AFL sooner rather than later.
The Port crowd was one of the unique phenomenae in SANFL footy. Even after they went into the AFL there were plenty of Port folk that stayed loyal to the Magpies, and when Port were doing well, a certain number of Power fans would turn up also.
When they made their bid to convert the Magpies into the Power reserves, even the Port cheer squad held uup the "No AFL in the SANFL" banner, prompting a visit from one of the Port dicks from upstairs to lecture them about how much better it would be once the Magpies are no more :roll:
I'd rather be a Lion free on the plains than in a zoo. The Magpies are no longer free, they're caged. They are not even puppets, their skin has been stretched around the Power's seconds side. Calling them the Magpies is just complete crap, it's bullshit. They are the Power's reserves, and they have thoroughly kicked the interest out of what loyal fans held on.
by therisingblues
Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I attended a SANFL game at Alberton last season and it was a dingy, almost mournful atmosphere. Clearly support for the Magpies continues to drain away despite whatever spin KT puts on it. Perhaps in this economic climate support only carries so far. That would be the kind interpretation of the Magpies state. Given the 'system' though they are stacked well for talent and South Adelaide have taken a massive hit. I hope Eddy and Leinert get a go at the AFL sooner rather than later.
The Port crowd was one of the unique phenomenae in SANFL footy. Even after they went into the AFL there were plenty of Port folk that stayed loyal to the Magpies, and when Port were doing well, a certain number of Power fans would turn up also.
When they made their bid to convert the Magpies into the Power reserves, even the Port cheer squad held uup the "No AFL in the SANFL" banner, prompting a visit from one of the Port dicks from upstairs to lecture them about how much better it would be once the Magpies are no more :roll:
I'd rather be a Lion free on the plains than in a zoo. The Magpies are no longer free, they're caged. They are not even puppets, their skin has been stretched around the Power's seconds side. Calling them the Magpies is just complete crap, it's bullshit. They are the Power's reserves, and they have thoroughly kicked the interest out of what loyal fans held on.

I think that's now every thread in the SANFL forum to have this, or something like this, posted in it. Well played to those who bring it into a conversation that this has nothing to do with.
As opposed to the"everything about Port sucks" brigade, I appreciate them for what they were, and genuinely feel for those true supporters who have had their side taken away. Does it bother you so much that the Power reserves alienated such a large portion of Magpie fans?
And I'll keep crapping on about it for as long as the situation exists. On top of that, the Power just drafted 4 other SANFL lads to the Magpies. How that's not related to the Magpies not having a soul is something you're going to have to explain Mr Boon.
by therisingblues
Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I agree with Dutchy. The more you mess with it, the more the integrity of the comp is damaged.
Either something has integrity, or it doesn't. The SANFL sold its integrity for the metaphorical equivalent of a turd covered in glitter with a note attached saying 'by the way, this is not a turd'.

Whilst I agree with capping, it won't restore integrity until the reserves side are removed. We're still shuffling deckchairs on the Titanic.
Some lovely imagery there Magellan. :D
by therisingblues
Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Glenelg Oval Overhaul

Magellan wrote:Holdfast Tennis Club president Brian Wilson was also heard to say "Wouldn't It Be Nice" if the upgrade happened, but "God Only Knows" when it'll start.

I guess he just wasn't made for these times.
by therisingblues
Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Glenelg Oval Overhaul

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/f658e38797e0878f453afb17bc4df4b3?width=650
Cannot afford Adelaide Oval? Try BUDGET ROOF CLIMBS at Glenelg! We even promise to permanently engrave your name on the seat you land on, as you attempt your climb, because at BUDGET ROOF CLIMBS we want to remember our customers long after they've left us. You will not find this offer repeated at any other oval!
BUDGET ROOF CLIMBS! We supply everything, except the roof!
by therisingblues
Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port Adelaide 2017

With the critical membership and sponsorship base demanding results I think the days of "tanking" are going by the wayside. You simply can't afford to "look to the future" in round 14 or so anymore. You have to play to the line.

An interesting test case will be Fremantle, let's see how they bounce back this year and what impact that has on them off field ( members/sponsors ) if they don't.
Yeah, who'd want to follow a club that doesn't play to the line? Whose primary goal is something other than winning? Actually, I dare say such an attitude would really piss off followers of other clubs in the competition.
:lol:
What do you reckon Booney? :lol:
by therisingblues
Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |