Search found 9 matches

Return

Re: Grade Cricket

Izzy Borgas to TTG is my mail. Big loss to a depleted northerns batting line up, which has a lot of young promising guys to take over in his absence anyway. Massive in for TTG as thats sure to strengthen the middle order that has at times let the side down when crucial games are there to be won ie: last years grand final!!![/ quote]

The Bull is not still Angry regarding the GF loss. An extra 20/30 runs or a couple of 50/50 decisions go your way when batting and you might have had them, so pretty close to winning it.

No not angry at all, disappointed but not angry. would have been great to celebrate having all three trophys up at pertaringa though. Hopefully we can go one better this year.

The loss of O'Hara and Reilly to port doesn't help with our depth, and Big O-Barn was certainly crucial to our limited overs success. port do have some key players to replace, I can only see them being a contender again if the money hasn't dried up and big benno takes 50 wickets.

I will add that it would be great to see a premier this year that has over 50% of thier side made up of players who have come through the ranks at the respective club. only 7 from the 22 from the premiers in the last two years off the top of my head, thats including Fernandez who I am guessing was. you dont hear much about the silver fox but he can take a wicket!
by The Angry Bull
Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Barossa & Light Cricket 2014/15.

fair go days when you play state cricket instead of sitting in the pub then ya can have a crack, what you playing A2 A3 at best

A fair bit of sarcasm in what Days said mate I would've thought.

Not sure you'd want to question his cricketing credentials though mate.

whether he made 7, 70 or 700, the fact that he turned out for his 'community club' should be applauded!
I know the GV boys were raring to go once they heard the news. One would have thought the young lads from South would have loved playing with their mate and his inclusion may have have helped spike the bar takings for the day, throw on top some unsolicited press coverage of the league... everyone is winning (in particularly GV!, just sneak into the 4 boys thats all you need to do ;) )
by The Angry Bull
Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

fair go days when you play state cricket instead of sitting in the pub then ya can have a crack, what you playing A2 A3 at best

So you lose to a side that hasnt won a game this year with 4 grade cricketers in your side, what conclusion would you draw from that? I would say perhaps they got a little ahead of themselves and took the GV boys and standard of the comp a little too lightly.
Anyway with that loss you can look forward to a few more wins in the A1 resserves next season.

Serious question, maybe Angry Bull might know, had grade cricket not been called off last week would TTG been as keen for these boys to play in the local comp?
With the Test match weekend off as well and obviously their bye on the weekend they would have gone 4 weeks without a game

TTG are always happy for their players to go back to their community clubs when there is a bye or in the event of non selection. For instance, hosking senior and JV when he was playing for port. They'd much rather their guys having a hit, however this is all dependent on squad requirements ie: organized trials or a bonding session (beers). I know that the prolonged break was talked about and the guys were encouraged to play, sleepy and zads know that 30 minutes in the middle is greater than 5 hours in the nets.

Btw, am I the only one on here that thought GV had the game in the bag from the start. Call me one eyed, but if there was ever a bunch of underachieving upstarts that would cause, well lets be honest, 'an upset' like that it would be GV! Horns up!
by The Angry Bull
Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

bennymacca wrote:i used to like Trav Head until I found out he plays for Sough ;)

It makes it tough!
by The Angry Bull
Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Is it true that talented country junior cricketers are being told not to travel to Adelaide to play grade cricket?

Too much travel, negatively impacts the local competition if the don't play juniors there, means their parents aren't involved in helping run local competitions and teams etc.

One would hope it's dependent on circumstances.

We have two lads from Quorn who are exceptionally talented. One, who is 17yo and his been reliably informed by the club he will be playing for that they will give him every opportunity in senior cricket. The other lad, is 15 yo and has been informed that he will be spending a 7 hour round trip to play 16 whites.

The player and his parents do not have the ability nor the want to spend 7 hours on a return trip. They are happy to allow him to play senior cricket and be involved in the Upper North Development program and pending what he does with schooling in a few years time, have a crack at premier cricket.

The 17yo has two brothers who also play for us and their father is the coach of the u/17s and a great club man, to lose his services as coach, barman, cook and everything else he contributes will leave a gaping hole of responsibility for others to step in to.

From personal experience, I was lucky enough to be situated only an hour and a half drive from Adelaide and very supportive parents. It is a significant commitment for a country cricketer to play premier cricket. If they are a genuine talent, you would think they would find the ability to commit, young fellas like the Pengilly's and Angus(?) Judd from Whyalla spring to mind who are all involved, or where involved, with SACA underage programs.
by The Angry Bull
Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Footy Smart wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:What did Gregory do?

groin I think they said.

I have noticed one critical poster has been absent the past few days? maybe buying Gatts a congratulatory beer? :D

or, drafting numerous articles about ball tampering at a much higher level ;)
by The Angry Bull
Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PDCA 2016 - 2017

Agreed not sure the stats are regularly checked for selection on performance
How many district cricketers can they choose ?
A few country lads playing A grade district have never been approached and would offer more than some currently in the team

Yeah in my 3 years of playing in Stanley league I haven’t heard of any of them being approached. Having seen them all the like of McPharlin brothers, Dopson, Scheepers, Steddall have Massey who played covered very easily.

The difficult thing for the Stanley lads is that they've been swapped between zones a few times. Unfortunately its a bit late for this years country carnival as we have had our Northern zone picked prior to xmas given the need to make arrangements for accommodation, organization of own shirts etc this year. SACA is barely assisting.

From next year we are looking to incorporate the Stanley fellas into our zone and looking forward to their involvement. Zach Fielding, or Outback Sachin as we like to call him in the squad, has already sounded out some names from Stanley to keep an eye on, a few already mentioned within this thread.

I agree, Poss's selections do raise a lot of questions, however, I am acutely aware that a number of the better country cricketers simply dont make themselves available when asked.
by The Angry Bull
Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PDCA 2016 - 2017

Yeah ive heard all the rumours about his golf. Ive never seen a bloke hit a cricket ball so well so I can only imagine what he does to a golf ball. In our last home game he landed one on the Spalding grandstand roof. We are going to measure the distance at the next home game.

I live about 500m down the hill from him. His been begging us to put a golf flag in our horse arena for him to practise his par 3 game :D :D :D :D

I love the idea, not sure the misses agrees.

:lol: what a legend. As good as he is, he's not getting there in one.

Great little player. I've been lucky enough to see him as young fella come down to TTG. Unfortunately it didn't work out for him. Confidence was his biggest issue when he was younger. Made a brilliant 80 odd against murray districts last year which proved that he can mix it with the best of them at the carnival when his heads in the right space.

To be honest I must live closer than that to him.....because its definitely hit able so I must be a couple hundred metres away. :)

Yeah I had a good chat with him on the beers one night about the TTG experience. From what I could gather he could just never settle in to city life, his a super relaxed character and cricket is his escape, his family have a boardline crop and I think he wears a fair bit of that pressure. I think once cricket gets to serious it stops becoming his escape.

I tell you what to go with his batting his probably the best leg spinner I have played with as well. His a country Warne. His bowling stats are ridiculous, according to mycricket 200 wickets at 15.

Don't worry, he isnt shy on tapping me on the shoulder for a roll. I appreciate that Cricket and Golf are his escape. I would love to earmark him for a leadership role within the zone in the future but i also fear that it may come at the expense of his enjoyment and performance. Its a big zone to cover and confusion can reign, as we've seen unfortunately with the Stanley boys. I think just letting him go about his business when he's down at carnival is the best thing for him.
by The Angry Bull
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wonder how long before the raids from Div 1 clubs start happening on the Div 2 clubs? In particular Sturt - especially given their strong juniors? Interesting if the current Redbacks listed players get directed by SACA to play Div 1 next season? Absolutely Redbacks players should be directed to move. The best players need to be playing Div 1

SACA were pretty clear at start of season they don't want players moving. Said it will not impact their selection for the Redbacks. But in reality, you need to be playing Div 1 - that's the whole point of this decision isn't it? Make them play better standard cricket every week. You don't want the batters facing bowlers from Southerns or Prospect every week!

I know if WT went down, the likes of Bailey Capel, etc were going elsewhere, they have to for the sake of their careers, only have limited years to make it so can't afford to waste any.

Will be interesting how they deal with permits for player transfers, think it will not be as straight forward as previously, but would it be restraint of trade if they get knocked back?

Interesting question Eags. it would depend on whether any direction by SACA for contracted players to play Div 1 is to big of a restraint in the circumstances for the adequate protection of SACAs interests. its up to SACA to prove that the decision is adequate. on one hand, its a decision to improve cricket in SA generally to a point where it provides better players who they can contract to meet their objectives and purposes. Alternatively, playing Div 2 does not necessarily mean that a player should be precluded from holding a contract and I wonder if you could point to the county system as your relevant precedent. Durham and Yorkshire are both in Div 2 therefore you'll be seeing Ben Stokes and Joe Root turning out in the lowest league of county cricket when available to do so. tough one to navigate but i am of the opinion that those who are contracted or within the emerging squad will continue to have access to facilities, coaches etc that will allow them to keep developing away from their club as the system currently provides for anyway. Personally I don't see the issue of a contracted player playing Div 2, the cream always rises to the top eventually.
by The Angry Bull
Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |