Search found 24 matches

Return

Re: Southern Football League

Reality is, Noarlunga were about 5 minutes of footy away from playing in a Prelim last year . They were beaten by a team that used next to zero points. The league is ASSUMING that Noarlunga will fall down the ladder. Until we've seen the REALITY, then assumptions are crap. Other clubs lose players, Reynella lost plenty, won a flag 2 years later. Brighton lost plenty, still very competitive last year. Emus continually lose players every year, but get up off the canvas. It only takes a bottom club to lose 1 quality player to make a huge difference, but im sure that goes unnoticed. This is probably the weakest decision I have ever heard of by an organisation . They should do their time at the bottom like other clubs that battle year after year. But that's only if they fall down the ladder. Noarlunga might not, and probably wont use the extra points, but this decision reeks of putting the interests of some clubs before that of others. End of rant.

=D> =D>

Well said. Why do we even bother having a points system? It seems that ANY club that asks for more points will be granted, no questions asked. :oops:
by lion heart
Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well after 2010 Reynella lost at least 8 top players and they didnt ask, nor should they, for extra points. Just sucked it up, played kids, and still made finals.
Sorry shoes this is B.S. and shouldnt happen! Makes the SFL board look pretty silly.

Really could the SFL board look any sillier than they are already?

This happens most years to one team or another......Brighton last year, Reynella in 2012, even Marion in 2011. There were no hand outs of extra points so they can get some high priced recruits. Shoes last year won 10 games in the A-grade, 12 in the B-grade (3rd after minor round), 7 in the under 18's.

I'm sure clubs like Port Noarlunga, Hackham, Christies Beach and Marion who finished behind Noarlunga and didn't have there B-Grade play finals would like a few extra points to try and sign some extra players?

Didn't think it was possible, but obviously i was wrong. Absolutely baffling decision that i can't even be bothered wasting my time arguing, as it will get me no-where.

I believe Noarlunga, Edwardstown, Christies and Marion have all applied for extra points this season. Not sure if all have been granted. Surely the only grounds for extra points would be for years spent at the bottom of the ladder. Just look at the GSFL they spread the player points out (approx 8 points for top, 15 for bottom) and that league is super competitive every year. I am sure this would help even things out to some extent.
by lion heart
Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Best Golf Courses in South Australia

You gents need to play Kooyonga. End of discussion!
by heater31
Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Aldinga Sharks Forum

Not that I'm around the club on seniors nights much anymore, but I would guess there might be the biggest turnout on the track for years down at Lonny tonight. This is surely a positive and hopefully we can retain a couple of those who come out the woodwork tonight. Even if we can keep some of these players for the rest of the season, we would then be in a better situation than before 'Crawford' came to town.
by norwood8
Thu May 22, 2014 6:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: JUNIOR FOOTBALL

Dutchy are you talking about a coach standing between the Under 8s or Under 10s games?
When my lad played Under 8s the coach was on the ground with them

This is their explanation below, trying to justify the major issue..more volunteers required -

It is believed that this will mean more players on the ground, and more players being more involved in the game. The volunteer issue was one of the first raised by the SFL when the new junior policies were released. To address this the SFL are asking for clubs when they nominate teams to indicate which teams are virtualy a split of one team into two and will require shared resources. These games will be programmed at the same location throughout the season. With smaller oval sizes all ovals will be capable of holding 2 under 8 games, or an under 8 and an under 10 game at the same time. Clubs will only be required to supply one co-ordinator and one trainer per location, not per team. The SANFL will supply free to each club a minimum of one new set of goalposts to enable them to host multiple games. Most teams at the moment will have a coach and an assistant coach. If that team breaks into 2 teams next season they can still train as one squad and with the games being at the same location the coach can coach one game and the assistant coach the other. It will also be less daunting for a new coach to come in and look after 12 players rather than 18. One team manager can also look after both games. The reason for the change is to give the players a better experience in football at the beginning. There has been multiple feedbacks from the 9 a side pilot of players who on a good day touch the ball once in an 18 a side game, but were getting 4-5 possessions per quarter in the 9 a side. A better football experience leads to a much greater chance that that player will stay in football rather than try something else from the wide range of activities available these days.

Their explanation says a coach coaching one game and an assistant coach coaching the other. That sounds like it will still be one coach on the oval for each game, not one coach standing between 2 games.
by Waterboy
Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thanks Petoe we are well aware of where we are at and where we want to go. We have been in the bottom 3 for 4 years now and hardly made an impact since making 3 consecutive A grade finals series in 2006,07,08. A conscious decision was made at the end of 2012 season to concentrate on other areas rather than overpay recruits to merely try to win 3 or 4 games. Really there is bugger all difference between the bottom 3 clubs we are all struggling equally although I'd kill for their 3 wins or even just 1 right now.

Anyone that has been down to the club of late would've noticed that quite a bit has happened over the last 3 months and a heap more WILL happen before the start of next season. We have a good core group of senior players, some really good juniors coming through but we certainly need some help especially in key positions. Coming into the season we thought we were up for a better year but in the space of about 4 weeks suffered a huge blow losing Baxter to the mines, Ky Miller who we let out of contract to an offer 5 x ours to KNTFL and a few others who committed with them. From there it's been an uphill battle but we've shown a lot of heart pushed a lot of sides for a half or 3/4s but as the injuries mounted up and our lack of depth was exposed our results have deteriorated. The footy gods have definitely not smiled upon us either losing our CHF & CHB in the same collision which saw them both break bones and end their seasons. The Crawf game was a distraction we didn't need and lost a few in the wake of that loss also but we chose to give the experience to some young men who will help take our club forward in the future. That day will hold them in good stead.

Although putting 2 senior teams on the park has been a battle of late the spirit is still there and a greater bunch of people you never will meet. The club is in the best position it has been off field since the merger hopefully that can start translating to on field but that will still take a lot of hard work and perseverance. Overall It's been a bloody tough year but a lot of reason for optimism. We don't accept our results this season, it will burn in our guts and we will fight hard to make sure it doesn't happen again.
by lion heart
Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Although putting 2 senior teams on the park has been a battle of late the spirit is still there and a greater bunch of people you never will meet. The club is in the best position it has been off field since the merger hopefully that can start translating to on field but that will still take a lot of hard work and perseverance. Overall It's been a bloody tough year but a lot of reason for optimism. We don't accept our results this season, it will burn in our guts and we will fight hard to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Can I add Lion Heart that your staff in the canteen/clubrooms are top shelf- made my little fella (4) feel right at home on Saturday.
by MatteeG
Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What value would Mitchell Park, Kangarilla, Meadows or Macclesfield be to us at the moment?[/quote]

There would be enough teams for 2 Divs.
by Hasbeen
Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you laugh

SCOTT STERLINGTON!!!!
by woodublieve12
Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Have heard another southern team looking to defect to the hills league and it's not hackham!!!!

Lonsdale

Why would Lonsdale move to another league when they have half the SFL protecting them from extinction

It is quite comical how you keep on harping on this subject MF! Do we have to pay rent for the space we occupy inside your head?

We don't ask for nor receive any special treatment from the SFL and have only 1 person on the SFL board that has had any involvement in the merged club. Mark McKay is one of the fairest guys you will ever meet so i am not sure what you are insinuating?

The Lions have many issue's of which we need to deal with but i would have thought that you would be better off concentrating on the problems that exist within your club rather than focusing on us?
by lion heart
Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 7 - 2018

RIP to former OSB/Lonsdale player and coach Shannon Dunk. A real good guy, taken far too young.

Condolences to his young family.
by norwood8
Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

MatteeG wrote:
norwood8 wrote:RIP to former OSB/Lonsdale player and coach Shannon Dunk. A real good guy, taken far too young.

Condolences to his young family.

Agreed. Sad news indeed.

Hopefully we can do Dunky proud tomorrow. Going to be an emotional day down at the Den.
by lion heart
Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Would also mitigate timekeeping shenanigans.

*Waves at West Croydon*

Seen much worse shenanigans with no time on, ie the ball that gets booted over the road and the home team suddenly cannot find a replacement, the player that goes down with a supposed life threatening injury only to jump up and start celebrating when the siren goes... etc

If you are not going to play time-on, don't call it A-Grade football, that is embarrassing.
by Look Good In Leather
Tue May 08, 2018 12:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

carey wrote:Far to much time on your hands.

Must work for the government :D

Cheers for that Bedge
by lion heart
Thu May 10, 2018 3:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AAA - Punishment or free flag?

Only one flag really counts and that is the Division 1 one, all the rest are just consolation prizes along the way to get to that point. Winning a flag after relegation is not a reward, unless mediocrity is your goal.

And this coming from a club that celebrated a B grade flag two years ago like it had won a World Cup. An A grade premiership is an A grade premiership and most clubs covet them as much as the next one or the last one.

And Bedge - they won their last A grade flag in 1994 with the highest paid team in the SFL and then 5 or 6 gun players walked due to a variety of reasons which may or may not have included outstanding player payments. LGIL will try and sugar coat it but the CBFC took about 20 years to recover from what happened at the end of 1994. I won't knock the SFL because the top 4 or 5 teams each year during our time in the SFL would not have been out of place in the top AdFL divisions. Despite too many easy games for the top clubs during the season, all finals wins and premierships were well earned.
by Down the Hill
Wed May 16, 2018 4:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Things get a little tough and look at all the Emus once faithful driving the knifes in

maybe a merger with Hackham is on the cards???? :D :D
by sweendog
Mon May 28, 2018 2:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Come on Dutchy, your SFL bias is starting to rank with LGIL. Clubs must do what is best for their playing membership and their demographic along with the expectations of the league or leagues they are in. Brighton left the SFL for those reasons and so have others. Whilst others have affiliations across more than one league seniors and juniors. If the leagues and the SACFL allow it then so be it. OSBL has the largest space for multiple small ovals, they are still affiliated with the SFL in the age groups represented in the carnival so why shouldn’t they be entitled to host a carnival still.
by Down the Hill
Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Good luck to the Lions, would love to see them have success, would also like to give some credit to their u15's who we have played against on Sunday's, they have gone through the season winless but they have been out there having a crack and given 100% every game I have seen and the game has always been played in the right spirit. .
by Dutchy
Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Good luck to the Lions, would love to see them have success, would also like to give some credit to their u15's who we have played against on Sunday's, they have gone through the season winless but they have been out there having a crack and given 100% every game I have seen and the game has always been played in the right spirit. .

Cheers Dutchy, many of these kids come from a disadvantaged background and they seem to be thriving. Great to hear the feedback. Coach Joshua and some other great people have put in a power of work to get this team on the park.
by lion heart
Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 7 -2020

Mitchell Park wins the Michael ‘KFC hot n spicy’ Dean Cup over OSB/Lonsdale.

Pretty even game until half way through third quarter when Mitchell Park had all the run and control, they should’ve probably been further ahead at 3/4 time. Trevor Rigney going off injured in the first quarter played a massive factor in class difference, was also told Adam Rigney was having to play forward due not being 100%.

Young ruckman played well for OSB/Lonsdale.
by norwood8
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SB, my point is that you maintain you know what played out and yet you were not there. Therefore you are relying on second, third, fourth hand information and reading published articles which contained numerous errors of fact. The SFL investigation was able to decipher the fact from the fiction and delivered a considered, honest and reasonable decision. Classic case of don’t believe everything you read or hear! Also don’t judge a whole club on the actions of a couple of idiots.
This could be the biggest load of shit I've ever read on this site.. and I've posted enough shit in my time myself!

I'd be embarrassed to be involved in your club right now.
by The Bedge
Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2021 Adel Footy League - Division 7

Saturdays game was important for one of the Parky lads and favourite sons return from a lay off due to knee surgery.

It's been years but to see the flowing mullet (he also had one when they weren't cool) and green #4 screaming out of half back once again meant a lot to the busted knee bretheren and our weird and wonderful footy family in the inner South.

Congratulations ballsack . Played incredibly well too.
by morell
Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Rigney serious injury on the weekend?
Achilles. Looked bad. Might be done for half a season at least.

Ruptured Achilles confirmed. :(

Sad day for the footy club and local footy lovers in general. Trev is remaining positive and i'd never write him off being the genetic freak that he is. Such a brutal injury at his age it will be a tough and unlikely road back for the champ.

Not many true legends of local footy but he is certainly one of them.
by lion heart
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Whats peoples thoughts on clubs sacking coaches mid year or coaches advising the club they wont be continuing the following year, is it in the clubs best interest to move on straight away or do you keep the coach for the rest of the year?

well run clubs pull the pin while others let the problem fester and do more damage
by Dirty Darryl
Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |