Search found 30 matches

Return

Re: Southern Football League

Reality is, Noarlunga were about 5 minutes of footy away from playing in a Prelim last year . They were beaten by a team that used next to zero points. The league is ASSUMING that Noarlunga will fall down the ladder. Until we've seen the REALITY, then assumptions are crap. Other clubs lose players, Reynella lost plenty, won a flag 2 years later. Brighton lost plenty, still very competitive last year. Emus continually lose players every year, but get up off the canvas. It only takes a bottom club to lose 1 quality player to make a huge difference, but im sure that goes unnoticed. This is probably the weakest decision I have ever heard of by an organisation . They should do their time at the bottom like other clubs that battle year after year. But that's only if they fall down the ladder. Noarlunga might not, and probably wont use the extra points, but this decision reeks of putting the interests of some clubs before that of others. End of rant.

=D> =D>

Well said. Why do we even bother having a points system? It seems that ANY club that asks for more points will be granted, no questions asked. :oops:
by lion heart
Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well after 2010 Reynella lost at least 8 top players and they didnt ask, nor should they, for extra points. Just sucked it up, played kids, and still made finals.
Sorry shoes this is B.S. and shouldnt happen! Makes the SFL board look pretty silly.

Really could the SFL board look any sillier than they are already?

This happens most years to one team or another......Brighton last year, Reynella in 2012, even Marion in 2011. There were no hand outs of extra points so they can get some high priced recruits. Shoes last year won 10 games in the A-grade, 12 in the B-grade (3rd after minor round), 7 in the under 18's.

I'm sure clubs like Port Noarlunga, Hackham, Christies Beach and Marion who finished behind Noarlunga and didn't have there B-Grade play finals would like a few extra points to try and sign some extra players?

Didn't think it was possible, but obviously i was wrong. Absolutely baffling decision that i can't even be bothered wasting my time arguing, as it will get me no-where.

I believe Noarlunga, Edwardstown, Christies and Marion have all applied for extra points this season. Not sure if all have been granted. Surely the only grounds for extra points would be for years spent at the bottom of the ladder. Just look at the GSFL they spread the player points out (approx 8 points for top, 15 for bottom) and that league is super competitive every year. I am sure this would help even things out to some extent.
by lion heart
Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Dazza44 wrote:
The rationale was that was what the clubs wanted, as all changes in League structure are. Ultimately, the clubs (or at least a majority of them !) decide what the League structure will be.

Apparently not,,,
by lion heart
Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thanks Petoe we are well aware of where we are at and where we want to go. We have been in the bottom 3 for 4 years now and hardly made an impact since making 3 consecutive A grade finals series in 2006,07,08. A conscious decision was made at the end of 2012 season to concentrate on other areas rather than overpay recruits to merely try to win 3 or 4 games. Really there is bugger all difference between the bottom 3 clubs we are all struggling equally although I'd kill for their 3 wins or even just 1 right now.

Anyone that has been down to the club of late would've noticed that quite a bit has happened over the last 3 months and a heap more WILL happen before the start of next season. We have a good core group of senior players, some really good juniors coming through but we certainly need some help especially in key positions. Coming into the season we thought we were up for a better year but in the space of about 4 weeks suffered a huge blow losing Baxter to the mines, Ky Miller who we let out of contract to an offer 5 x ours to KNTFL and a few others who committed with them. From there it's been an uphill battle but we've shown a lot of heart pushed a lot of sides for a half or 3/4s but as the injuries mounted up and our lack of depth was exposed our results have deteriorated. The footy gods have definitely not smiled upon us either losing our CHF & CHB in the same collision which saw them both break bones and end their seasons. The Crawf game was a distraction we didn't need and lost a few in the wake of that loss also but we chose to give the experience to some young men who will help take our club forward in the future. That day will hold them in good stead.

Although putting 2 senior teams on the park has been a battle of late the spirit is still there and a greater bunch of people you never will meet. The club is in the best position it has been off field since the merger hopefully that can start translating to on field but that will still take a lot of hard work and perseverance. Overall It's been a bloody tough year but a lot of reason for optimism. We don't accept our results this season, it will burn in our guts and we will fight hard to make sure it doesn't happen again.
by lion heart
Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Saturdays. Not going to suit everyone (our u18s are severely hampered by college football but still play in the Saturday comp). Flaggies, Reynella, Valley and perhaps a few others will be against the idea. They have huge numbers i understand their concern but is it not the SFL's job to look after the everyone's interests or in this case the majority?

The facts are that the majority of clubs voted for the change to u15/17 - the league for whatever reason decided to overrule it.

Could 15,17s be the requirement for all clubs on a Saturday but still run comps to cater for other age limits on a sunday? I realise it is complicated - no way to keep everyone happy but the SFL clubs should be able to decide their own fate... Where has 15 years with no change got us?
by lion heart
Wed May 20, 2015 3:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Have heard another southern team looking to defect to the hills league and it's not hackham!!!!

Lonsdale

Why would Lonsdale move to another league when they have half the SFL protecting them from extinction

It is quite comical how you keep on harping on this subject MF! Do we have to pay rent for the space we occupy inside your head?

We don't ask for nor receive any special treatment from the SFL and have only 1 person on the SFL board that has had any involvement in the merged club. Mark McKay is one of the fairest guys you will ever meet so i am not sure what you are insinuating?

The Lions have many issue's of which we need to deal with but i would have thought that you would be better off concentrating on the problems that exist within your club rather than focusing on us?
by lion heart
Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

At the end of the day the SFL will be fine. 9 strong clubs that have all been mostly competitive this season fielding 4 teams on a Saturday. Should be a great comp. I worry a little for Aldinga but they appear to be on the right path.

One piece of history that should never be forgotten is that the Div 2 clubs never had a choice. The SFL forced us into one division and that decision alone has caused a lot of collateral damage along the way. Forced merger of O'Sullivan Beach and Lonsdale (DIV 2 A grade premiers), Hackham gone, Kangarilla, Morphettville, Brighton leaving. Edwardstown came and went. In 2001 we had very lopsided divisions (11 teams div 1 and 6 div 2) but with the pressure intensifying to relegate the club of prominent SFL board member's looming the cunning plan of forcing 1 division was hatched!! The SFL has somehow managed to lose 10 or 11 club's since the late 90's. So many opportunities along the way to right the wrong but it is too little too late now.

As a club we are certainly not blameless for the position we are in, we have made plenty of mistakes along the way and not always had the right people in the right places. Our A grade made finals 3 season's in a row 2005-2007 but a series of event's sent us on a downward spiral of which we have not recovered. 7 years at the bottom is a long time in football and too many loyal club people are beaten down both physically and mentally. The SFL is a strong competition that demands high standards - we have not delivered either on or off the field.

I know i speak on behalf of all member's when i say we never wanted the club we love to leave the SFL but we are now faced with the sad reality of 3 options:
-Die in div one next season
-play C grade comp (not an option)
-look for another league to rebuild the club.

A vote must still happen to ratify any move but the general consensus seemed to be strong toward leaving. As a club we want to not only survive but thrive so in reality there is only one choice. Time to move forward. Going to be a lot of new hurdle's to face but i look forward to the challenge. This will give many involved with the club a new lease of life. There are too many bloody good people involved at the club to not to give it a red hot crack!
by lion heart
Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 7 - 2018

Footy Chick wrote:
Welcome to our new friends from Marion and OSB Lonsdale.

Apologies in advance to them, it's a different world over here 8)

Cheers, we look forward to visiting new clubs and making some new friends. We'll be sure to show you all some southern hospitality :D
by lion heart
Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just to clear a few things up there was absolutely no insurance on the contents lost in the shed. Should there have been? Absolutely and I believe this was the case up until the past 2/3 years.

I can see why people would jump to conclusions when we sign a big name like Trev that we are not using the funds raised for the intended purpose but I can guarantee you that is not the case. In fact our player budget has decreased by 60-70% on last years budget. The player budget was a major motivating factor in our move to the AdFL as what we were doing was not sustainable and would have killed us this year. People would be shocked if they knew the amounts being spent for little return.

The facts are that whilst affiliated In the SFL we had to overpay guys to join the club. I am sure people can understand that players aren’t falling over themselves to sign up for 25-30 goal thrashing’s. Our 3 highest paid players from last season have already left the club after being offered huge decreases in pay and I suspect some more will follow. On the flip side we have been able to re-sign many former players (most are returning juniors) mostly for nothing or discounted prices.

There is a genuine buzz around the place that has not been there in many years; we’ve even had a handful of guys come out of retirement. It is awesome to see so many new faces at the club and the best thing is they are here for the right reasons....I suspect there is more to follow.
by lion heart
Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Nairne Premiership player Jeff Lines to OSB along with Walkerville A Grader Max Cooper!! Is it too late to put these guys into Div 6? Give them the flag now :lol:

Unless they're all returning juniors or players, surely points would be an issue for them? Will have great depth though...

Honestly I think we are on zero points currently maybe Cooper will attract a point or 2 not too sure. The major ins are all former juniors/ players and all the paid/points players we had last season have left the club. Players that have returned have done so for the right reasons, some new players and youngsters are looking for an opportunity and will get it.

Plenty of comments from outside the club on us being flag certs or sending us up to d6 but I think those people are not aware the only wins we’ve had the last 6/7 seasons have been against fellow struggling clubs. We haven’t played finals since 2007 and have not won a final since 2001. The club is very much rebuilding on and off field.

It’s hard for me to gauge where we are at but I expect there won’t be much between us and Marion.
by lion heart
Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

simmo wrote:Thanks to the londsdale/osb lads for the hit out on saturday. Very fit and well drilled team as you would expect with the numbers at training.

Cheers mate the game was played in good spirits all the best for the season! :-BD
by lion heart
Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I played the majority of my juniors there (under 9's - 15's) and have a group of close mates that I played senior footy with at EP there. Two birds with one stone for me, have some fun and finish off my career at my junior club and with close mates. If there is success along the way then that is a bonus!

Quite a few boys in a similar boat for the Lions. Look forward to playing CU sounds like both will have a mix of youngsters and wily old veterans.
by lion heart
Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Junior85 wrote:What time is the Marion Vs Macclesfield game @ Mt Barker on Sunday?

Welcome aboard Junior... long time watcher first time poster? :D
by lion heart
Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

what you upset that Sullies aren’t gonna get the easy ride they thought in this div? Have a think about it

We’ve hardly won a game in 6/7 years and you think we think this will be easy?. Never heard a single person within the club say we will get an easy ride to a flag. We’re new to travelling, playing on ovals we’ve never seen before and so far have had two tightly contested battles. We are learning to win again as club and we are really enjoying our experiences in the AdFL.
You might not think it.. but I bet you’re quality recruits who have all flooded back to the club think it was gonna be that easy

Nah mate your wrong.. anyway define recruits, 17 from yesterday’s side have played 100+ games for the club most of them also played juniors for us. Of the quality returns only Trev Rigney and Jeff Lines have spent extended time away from the club. Dan Loveridge (played 200th senior game for us yesterday) and Adam Rigney spent one season away. On top of that 17 we have 3 x 17/18 year olds so that makes 20 of yesterday’s side that you can’t class as “recruits”. In fact only 1 player could be classed a recruit and that is Max Cooper who came to the club with a mate. Most of yesterday’s team played for us last season.

In fact we lost some gun “recruits” from last season most notably Polec to Pulteney, Francis and Carr to Kilburn, Wheadon to Port Adelaide, Papagozlov to Aldinga. Almost all of these guys are featuring in the bests/ goals for their current clubs. These guys were recruited to the club so we could survive in a very strong competition..now we are at our level and I am loving the fact we are starting to feel like a real footy club again. It’s not fun when the club you love is knocking on heavens door like we were to end last season.
by lion heart
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

MatteeG wrote:
norwood8 wrote:RIP to former OSB/Lonsdale player and coach Shannon Dunk. A real good guy, taken far too young.

Condolences to his young family.

Agreed. Sad news indeed.

Hopefully we can do Dunky proud tomorrow. Going to be an emotional day down at the Den.
by lion heart
Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

carey wrote:Far to much time on your hands.

Must work for the government :D

Cheers for that Bedge
by lion heart
Thu May 10, 2018 3:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I promised the Mawson Lakes player i'd send him the photo but have no way of reaching him. Might as well leave it here for all to enjoy.
by lion heart
Mon May 14, 2018 1:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Game of the week coming up. Tea Tree Gully Vs Houghton in the reserves. Both teams un-defeated. Will be a good test to us to see how we can adjust to a similar side to ours. Hopefully we can get the win. Looking forward to the game. Go Raiders!!!
Sullies beat TTG on the weekend just gone
****. I'll retract the part of both sides being un-defeated. Still going to be a test for us to see how we sit.

I'd expect Houghton to win comfortably tbh. Lions had a more balanced side on the weekend and our best footy is still ahead of us. With over 50 players used so far i don't think we have gone close to playing our best 21 yet....

I have really enjoyed the reserves comp this year, other than Flinders and Houghton we've had competitive games every week and our boys are loving it.
by lion heart
Wed May 23, 2018 11:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Should be a cracking finish to the back half of the minor round. OSB Lonsdale the hunted, a win against them will be a huge factor in securing a berth in the finals with 6 other teams fighting for the final four spots in the top five.

HDFC with a real challenge sitting seventh- realistically need to win six of the last nine to get in. The bye coming at the right time and should see several players return from injury in a couple of weeks. Have shown we are capable of beating the top side, so 6 from 9 a real possibility.

Maybe Houghton could drop a couple from the reserves down to the A grade then :D ;)

All jokes aside there will be some absolute cracker games in the last 9 rounds. 7 teams still in the hunt for the top 5 with 6 teams of those eyeing a top 3 berth!

Looks like the finals will be starting early. Bring it on!
by lion heart
Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Junior85 wrote:Trev Rigney on 92 goals.. Kinda want him to hold off on the ton til Rd 17, our Sullies past players day.
Does anyone know if the C grade fella kicked his 100 on the weekend?

The great man Kicking his 100th in the old colours would be simply epic. Make it happen footy gods!
by lion heart
Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Huge day down at the Den coming up this week.

Top of the table clash, Sullies past players day where we will be wearing the Heritage O’Sullivan Beach FC guernsey’s. Sullies favourite son Trev Rigney sitting on 96 is sure to draw a crowd. Here’s hoping he can reach the magical ton and deliver a trademark hanger or 2 for good measure!
by lion heart
Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

When was the last time Lonsdale played finals???

Mentioned a page back The A grade made it 2005/06/07 we might have to go back to pre merger for the reserves 2001ish :shock:

Marion might be on a longer drought than us, not positive on that.

Fair to say its been a long time between drinks and we have some thirsty boys! :D
by lion heart
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Good luck to the Lions, would love to see them have success, would also like to give some credit to their u15's who we have played against on Sunday's, they have gone through the season winless but they have been out there having a crack and given 100% every game I have seen and the game has always been played in the right spirit. .

Cheers Dutchy, many of these kids come from a disadvantaged background and they seem to be thriving. Great to hear the feedback. Coach Joshua and some other great people have put in a power of work to get this team on the park.
by lion heart
Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Old_mate21 wrote:Rigney should poll well considering he kicked big bags.

Should have some definite 3 vote games. He’s been hit from pillar to post all year and hardly received a free so pretty sure the umps aren’t his greatest fans.
by lion heart
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Great day down at the Den yesterday! A HUGE crowd witnessed a great game in the A grade, the Rams got the jump but the Lions pegged them back and came home strong for a big win! Pure elation after the game with some tears of joy from our long suffering players and supporters. Really hit home what we have been missing out on and the reason why we made the move to the AdFL!

Congrats to the Houghton reserves, they put on a clinic and had too much experience for our boys. Hopefully we can have a strong showing this week in the prelim and get another crack at them. It will be pretty special if we can get both sides through to the GF.
by lion heart
Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Congrats to Marion A grade, too good on the day. Game planned well, got some great matchups and exploited our weaknesses. We missed 4-5 shots in the first half that should have been goals. We kept fighting but were playing catch-up for most of the day.

Congrats also to Houghton Reserves; seem like a great club. Best team all year by a mile, our boys tried hard and can hold their heads high. Great experience for the younger guys.

We missed a golden opportunity for a flag and that is going to burn for a long time. For some this was the end of the road but we have plenty of interest for next year. Up to Div 6 and things will obviously get tougher but we will lick our wounds and come back stronger.
by lion heart
Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Some of our best club servants like Keetch, Ballatori, Bird, etc. were near on retirement and have earned a long-awaited premiership, the first one the club has seen since 1999.

Love to see the loyal stalwarts being rewarded, we have some guys that deserve a flag more than you could imagine but sadly we fell short.
by lion heart
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How's the speech made by OSB Lonsdale after the Div 7 reserves GF??
Says a lot when you lose a GF and the only thing you can say about the opposition is how they are sandbaggers :roll:

I personally did not hear it, but that is extremely poor form and certainly not the way we’d like to carry ourselves. Stay humble in victory and gracious in defeat.

Apologies to all @ Houghton FC
by lion heart
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I’d expect us to put a better team on the park next season we didn’t spend much or really try to recruit this season. The players we had were at the club for the right reasons. We lost all our money recruits from last season Polec to Pulteney, Francis and Carr to Kilburn, Wheadon to Port Adelaide reserves, Papagozlov to Aldinga - some serious footballers amongst that lot. We are now a more attractive proposition for recruits after making a GF.
They're some massive outs - if you'd kept even two of those guys this year would've made a huge difference.

I'm curious, if I may ask.. how much does the move to AdFL impact on your footy budget compared to SFL given you cant take a gate for home games, and only have the two games? Is it a big drop in income?

Are OSB (or Marion) in a position to look to push for a C grade in the coming years?

We lost the gate but the bar and subs were definitely up this year by a long way. We were also carrying a bit of debt coming into season which was a major factor in the move. We were paying big to win a couple of games per year (and not even be competitive in the rest).

C grade definitely on the cards we had great numbers and plenty missing out. We will see how numbers go next year.
by lion heart
Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2021 Adel Footy League - Division 7

Rigney serious injury on the weekend?
Achilles. Looked bad. Might be done for half a season at least.

Ruptured Achilles confirmed. :(

Sad day for the footy club and local footy lovers in general. Trev is remaining positive and i'd never write him off being the genetic freak that he is. Such a brutal injury at his age it will be a tough and unlikely road back for the champ.

Not many true legends of local footy but he is certainly one of them.
by lion heart
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |